Search found 24 matches

Return

Re: XBox One

It seems apart from the 24 hr thing MS now have a set up similar to Steam with some other stuff that itunes and the amazon stores use so small hope they also do some Steam like deals.

They have improved recent deals on the 360 but that could be just a fire sale type thing for long time owners looking to upgrade this year?

Michael Pachter thinks publishers might actually wait a few years to start blocking used games. Personally I think they should have just worked out something better with stores, For instance no game can be traded in for its first 3-6 months on sale.[Which is when it sells the most anyways]

The Xbox One does not have a similar setup as Steam and it is a lame and stupid argument. The only thing similar is that Microsoft have built a digital distribution service, but they also tie it to psychical media that casts the illusion of game ownership.

You can not play offline on Xbox One for more than 24 hours.
You can play offline on Steam indefinitely.

You can not play the same game on at least two Xbox One consoles at the same time.
You can play the same game offline with Steam on as many PCs as you want.

There will most likely not be major sales on Xbox One. (GOD are almost the same price as new games MONTHS after release)
There are deep sales frequently on Steam. Some up to 95% off .

There will most likely not be any such thing as a Humble Bundle on Xbox One.
There are weekly and publisher focused Humble Bundles where you can set your own price point, and decide where your money goes in which you can access your game on Steam.

DRM is always required on the Xbox One.
There are games that have zero DRM on Steam, and you can even launch them while Steam is not running .

Microsoft services are the only markets for those wanting to get their games on the Xbox One, thus blocking competition.
On Steam there are various markets that offer competitive prices, forcing Steam to compete and offer better benefits.

You most likely will have to pay for a subscription service such as Xbox Live to gain any of the “features” such as digital distribution, cloud saving, playing online.
Game publishers set subscription models on Steam, a lot of them free. There's free cloud saving, and every other such benefits that Xbox One does not offer .

The Xbox One will probably cost over 300$
Steam costs 0.00$

Consoles are not known for modding (at least legitimately), and the Xbox One won't be the place to do it either.
Steam encourages modding, has SteamWorks for publishers and other free tools for developers and consumers such as free source engines, free film makers, free game tools .

The Xbox One does not offer backwards capability.
Steam offers full backwards capability , the software you have now and before will likely run on any computer as powerful or more powerful than the one it was originally installed on.

But somehow Xbox One is similar to steam. Apples are similar to oranges too, in that their fruit. Aside from that they're completely different.
by ShenmueTree
Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Awesome Japan

"Excuse me, I'd like to put my project on Kickstarter..."
by Yokosuka Martian
Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: In all of this can't we atleast give a thumbs up to Sega

Thank you SEGA for not fucking this up like you do pretty much everything else. Yours, a life long SEGA fan.
by KidMarine
Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favourite Yu Suzuki Game Outside of Shenmue?

Hangon. Got the 3ds port and one day I will have the full cabinet. The hangon theme is actually my ring tone also.
by myshtuff
Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Making Sense of Shenmue 3"

I worked on this video with Super BunnyHop by the way (as a proofreader, reviewer, etc), you will see me credited in the final title.

He did a TON of research on this video. I am very happy with the way it turned out.
by shengoro86
Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 can't promise 60fps but can promise sexy girls

Monkei wrote:That's made up by dualshockers

Please don't mistake DualShockers for them.
by Yokosuka
Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 can't promise 60fps but can promise sexy girls

[...] But y'know... Yu Suzuki is nearly 60 years old, and is very, very out of touch with current industry trends and thinking (by his own admission, so that's not me disrespecting him.)

This is demonstrated by his description of the "A.I. fighting" system which, really, is just industry standard fare. Context sensitive attacks. Hardly revolutionary, but from his point of view it seems groundbreaking and different. I don't think we can or should really expect progressive thinking from the guy. [...]

Yeah, I've been thinking that, too. Him not playing games or keeping track of industry trends and developments comes with pros and cons, the latter of which you're describing one of the bigger ones. You can ignore the industry and develop an idea on your own, but somebody else might have had that idea years before without you even knowing.

Concerning the sexy girls though, Yu doesn't mention anything like that in the interview if I'm not mistaken. That's made up by DualShockers*, so the problem there is not Yu's potentially-not-so-progressive thinking, but bad journalism.

What trend ? To clickbait ? [...]

That would be gaming journalism trends. Anonymous was talking about game development trends, whole other topic.

EDIT: *Didn't pay attention and confused DualShockers and MCVUK. Sorry DualShockers. :heart:
by Monkei
Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega Europe comments on Shenmue

Won't be surprised if in two years they're still talking about how they will be doing better and know where they've gone wrong and care about the fans really, yadda, yadda, yadda. All talk, talk, talk, yet again. Heck, if it wasn't for Sony we would have neither Yakuza 5 in English nor Shenmue 3 at all. Sony are basically doing all of the work for SEGA at this point, it's pathetic.
by Henry Spencer
Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SEGA currently "investigating" making Shenmue 1/2 HD hap

^ Agreed, I don’t know why voice acting is even mentioned as a point of contention.
The actors were paid 15 years ago, and all of that quality [& questionable quality] voice acting is already owned by Sega.

Chalk up Sega’s cautiousness to licensing issues and fear of financial failure.
(Though, realistically, it wouldn’t exactly take a big investment to digitally release a bare-bones HD port full of Jet-Colas. I hope/ assume Sega has grander plans in mind ;) )
by punkmanced
Sat May 14, 2016 7:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

So basically: "I got nothing".

Persona 5 - Atlus
Total War - Creative Assembly
Valkyria: Azure Revolution - Media Vision

My point was, the last internally developed SEGA Japan game that's worth a damn is basically just Yakuza series, they make little else nowadays and even then we had to fight tooth and nail to actually get the newer games released over here (thanks Sony, no thanks to SEGA). Even Sonic is outsourced now. Phantasy Star Online 2 doesn't count since we never got it.

I can't get into Total War and Football Manager since those games aren't for me (I can't force myself to enjoy sports games as I can't force myself to enjoy PC strategy games; they fit a specific niche). It's kinda silly to say "that's on you, not them" when it only appeals to certain demographics. When I think "SEGA" I don't think of games like that. I think of games like "Virtua Fighter", "Panzer Dragoon", "Sonic", "Shining series", "House of the Dead", "OutRun", "Ristar", "Skies of Arcadia", "Valkyria Chronicles", "Yakuza", "Shenmue", "Phantasy Star", "Streets of Rage", "ToeJam & Earl" - games like that.

And no, I don't hate SEGA, I'm just really disappointed in them nowadays. Even the stuff they are making nowadays they don't want to give us.
by Henry Spencer
Sun May 15, 2016 4:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

I'd be more than happy with a few new screenshots, preferrably with an updated model of Ryo.
by Snakiest
Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "YU SUZUKI, TIM SCHAFER AND OTHERS DISCUSS HYPE IN GAME"

Excellent read, a shame Suzukis name is next to that crook Tim Schafer.
by TheExclusiveMan
Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I don't see Sega giving a shit about Shenmue, even less putting money into it. They didn't even gave publicity to the kickstarter or slacker backer campaign.
I think that's a good thing, tbh. Involving SEGA in that way probably would have caused a bigger shit storm than the "OMG SONY FUNDING SHENMUE 3" falsehoods.
Coming from sega, the less has to do with Shenmue the better, this company is a joke today.

If SEGA was smart they could win a lot of PR points if they backed the project like any of us. Say they gave 3M to the project to reach 10M. Everyone here would be happy and more inclined to buy SEGA products... especially if a Shenmue I & II remaster was coming.

The reason why we are at the point we are now with Shenmue III is all because Sega is being stubborn to make the game on their own dime. I still believe Yakuza engine can be easily tailored to make a Shenmue game. Although this is subject to change, I believe they would have a better looking Ryo model under the Yakuza engine than the current one now. Things could change after PSX.
by darksniper
Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tekken dev requests guest fighter ideas - let's give 'em

I'd rather want to see Ryo in a new Virtua Fighter game. But Sega needs to make one first...

So until that happens I'd take this chance to get a little fighting action with Ryo. I used to really hate Tekken back in the day but playing 6 and TT2, they weren't all that bad. I could live with this guest appearance.
by BlueMue
Mon May 01, 2017 7:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

There's the regular directional light, and there's a city skybox that affects the global illumination...

I don't know, I hope they find the key in the artstyle, I hope it doesn't fall in the inbetween like some games that feels off (I'm remembering the saint seiya game).

TBH I'm not really feeling it, specially since most of the enviroments we have been seeing were pretty realistic, who knows, too far/too little to get a picture.
by shredingskin
Mon May 29, 2017 12:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: Saying the guy is jacked is an understatement :lol:

The concept art looks human. Those forearms and biceps are indeed crazy.

Calling it now, dude is probably gonna be a boss battle.
by Spaghetti
Mon May 29, 2017 1:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Please, please, please get rid of that logo.
by iyapol
Mon May 29, 2017 4:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't see why people shouldn't expect passport Ryo... after all just a few months ago they photoshoped Ryo's DC face into a screenshot, implying they were still going for that look.
Ryo's in-game model is not passport Ryo, though.

As you can see in the video I posted, they literally introduced Ryo for the first time by actually morphing from a Miyawaki design to the in-game model. That's arguably always been their approach to the characters in-game. Passport Ryo is a Dreamcast technical showcase.

The morphing doesn't prove that the design went straight from Miyawakis 2D-drawings to the in-game characters and it clearly didn't. Ofcourse his drawings are important as the first version of a character.

The point is that the in-game models were not meant to replicate those drawings. As Yokosuka pointed out,
the 3D CGI images were the targets for the in-game models. In-game Ryo is a low-poly version of this:
https://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/square_small/3/34651/1188145-0ryo3.jpg
and the passport-models are simply more detailed models with the same target.

It's pretty clear that the design process for the main characters was something like this:
Miyawaki makes concept drawings of a character, then a 3D/CGI-model is made based on this concept but much more realistic, detailed, and different from Miyawakis "comic-book" style, although still stylized. For some characters clay busts are also made.

Then the actual model used in the game is made to look like the CGI image but they obviously can't fully replicate it in real time.

So, to take Joy as an example:

Original concept drawing:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shenmue/concept-joy.jpg

CGI model:
http://i.neoseeker.com/ca/shenmue2_conceptart_njFRi.jpg

In-game model:
http://cdn.staticneo.com/w/shenmue/thumb/4/4e/Joy.jpg/300px-Joy.jpg

Thanks to great modeling and texturing, the in-game model manages to capture the essence of the CGI image although less detailed.
by Gen
Mon May 29, 2017 7:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Can we all agree that a character aesthetic close to the Shenhua & Ryo models in the Shenmue Dojo header would be most appropriate?

God I hope the development team senses this.
by ShenmueLegacy
Tue May 30, 2017 3:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Logo Poll [Back]

If the cursive style is indeed the problem (I personally don't have any trouble reading it, but we did learn cursive in school when I was a kid), then why not just use some classy serif font and keep the strong brushwork of the Japanese version. Yu Suzuki's brushwork in Japanese is strong and assured, whereas his version with roman letters is not (imo). So, something like this would be my suggestion:

http://www.zoonbats.com/s3/s3_logo.jpg
by Centrale
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Logo Poll [Back]

I like your idea Centrale. It's elegant.

Just for fun, same concept with the font I tried to create time ago, when we were already talking about the logo. :???:

by Kiske
Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kickstarter Update #74 - Gamescom Travelogue

https://youtu.be/zirOCinD17o

Hello Everyone,

Today we want to give you a wrap up report from gamescom 2017 held this month in Cologne, Germany. With over 350,000 visitors, the event hall was really jumping!

The Koelnmesse exhibition center

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/018/119/995/5895b765d715d15ac6472bb8780ad112_original.JPG?w=639&fit=max&v=1504076501&auto=format&q=92&s=9cd691c195512cb01d193fc52a2f8b24

The visitor numbers were beyond surprising!

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/018/119/878/c92d1045e26d6f2f7c08c7bdfb15ee2b_original.JPG?w=639&fit=max&v=1504075768&auto=format&q=92&s=0b9ddd6b550400efa1d9f92185e6cf0e

Meeting with the fans was an invaluable experience for Yu-san.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/018/119/884/e7be6725393c433ddd6d0524262d7adf_original.JPG?w=639&fit=max&v=1504075816&auto=format&q=92&s=b96df1f9678371656498f494a9c4e2d0

New development pics

We are happy to show some new images that we did not present at gamescom!

The look of gallantry!

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/018/120/006/d0c8f5fd4619145e45d9f6c1109ee448_original.jpg?w=639&fit=max&v=1504076578&auto=format&q=92&s=1b05d5560e9cb32572863b30f6a65a0f

The Hazuki Style bow.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/018/119/908/e532bbc193a66d03fef45bd3295e6fef_original.jpg?w=639&fit=max&v=1504075965&auto=format&q=92&s=6f2f4ae73484c8e2f6e69686d8b361cd

What will go down in this city?

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/018/119/918/ee39e46ce3db57fca0c03db5ea905aff_original.jpg?w=639&fit=max&v=1504076002&auto=format&q=92&s=1f64512a03110e482d78ec7bc2abf78a

Yu-san and the entire team give all their thanks for your support at the event and on social media sites! See you next time!

All released images are up on the Gallery at Shenmue.link, so come for a visit and have a look!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1968826
by Peter
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Chi You Men and the legendary Chinese Monster

I hope it stays grounded in reality until the last possible moment. I think about Berserk before the egg thing was used by Griffith. That made such an impact because it was low fantasy until that and then it became high fantasy.
by elfshadowreaper
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

Just woke up to the news today with a very meh reaction. This was the chance to bring in news fans of the game with a remake, no a re-release. Wouldn't have cost a significant amount just to significantly update the graphics of the game. Day one purchase for me but can't help but feel this is a massive opportunity missed.

Oh, if only making video games or any software in general were that easy...

"YEAH, LETS REMAKE SHENMUE 1 AND 2! WE CAN DO IT IN A DAY!"

"OH WAIT, WE CAN'T FIND THE KEY IN UNREAL 4 THAT UNLOCKS THE INSTANT 4K GRAPHICS MODE! NEVERMIND!"
by Saven
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic