Search found 635 matches

Return

Re: Shenmue II on XBox One

Well, there's hardly anything you could call list yet...

I have made videos putting all ways to play Shenmue II next to each other. It greatly shows how different the game looks on Xbox vs 360. It loses all post processing in emulation but that actually makes it look closer to the DC overall.

Oh and if you do plan on getting a 360 forget about the old crap Elite. Go for an S or E model.
Smaller, more efficient and much more quiet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujCPPNLc-5o

https://youtu.be/D2bx8BY-Ijs
by BlueMue
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lan-Di and red dressed woman in background of teaser!

News? This is weeks old... and the way this is typed up makes me cringe. Sorry, but no link, picture or anything and not even able to write the name Niao Sun?

To be fair this hasn't been discussed all that much around here. For those who are still interested:

http://www.seganerds.com/2017/09/10/yu-suzuki-inserted-an-easter-egg-in-shenmue-iiis-latest-teaser/
by BlueMue
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kickstarter Update #75 - Dev Room Progress Report Vol. 4

Shenmue III's dev team gives us an insight on the work on facial animations in the newest Kickstarter update.

Links: Facial Animations (Video) | Kickstarter Update #75 | Forum Discussion
by BlueMue
Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Demul v0.7 alpha released. (Dreamcast Emulator)

Sappharad told me that you can still change the resolution with the newest version.
You just have to switch the GPU plugin to DX11old.
by BlueMue
Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

I never noticed until yesterday that the time runs slower in Shenmue II. I always thought an hour or a day would take the exact same amount of time in both games but Shenmue is actually 1.5 times faster. Yet another example how much time is less important in Shenmue II.

For those who are interested, I made a way too elaborate "race" video that puts the games side by side.
https://youtu.be/vzylerRMZsM
by BlueMue
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BlueMue's Shenmue Blog

New post! Switch is going to love the title of this one. :lol:

The Real Phantom River Stone
by BlueMue
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/IMAGES/m_xrgbmini.jpg

My 2009 Toshiba did a great job with 240/288p signals and had RGB Scart so I never felt the need for one of these.
Since I got my OLED about a year ago that all changed and I simply needed one.
I don't like like converters but this thing is a whole different beast and made for games. The scaling and picture quality is truly incredible. With it's filters and picture adjustments even NES composit looks clean and very nice. Not to mention it does it all with minimal processing time. The price is steep but it's absolutely worth it!
by BlueMue
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

https://i.imgur.com/0hf7gID.jpg

Hate myself for buying this...
I didn't want to preorder, I didn't really want this version, I wanted to wait until I can get the regular one below the normal retail price. But then impatience set in and I had to go with one of these for an inflated price as there was no chance to get any X on release day anymore. I blame it on Sonic Forces, wich I got a day before it's release and I didn't want to start it on the "old" One S without the X Enhanced stuff and everything.
by BlueMue
Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Got it a day before it officially goes on sale here. Already the third X Enhanced game in 4 days of owning the system.
Can't wait to dive into it (again)!

by BlueMue
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Will Shenmue III end on a cliffhanger?

I doubt it will be as dramatic as Shenmue II. It would give us all nightmares of waiting endless years all over again.
Maybe a little bit more open than the end of Shenmue, wich was an ideal chapter closure.
I'd the way it's designed ultimately depends on how sure they are about making Shenmue IV and how to tackle the financing for that.
by BlueMue
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania

You shold man up, and play mario odyssey and drink nice soylent, that's what REAL men do.

Just buy a switch with Mario already.

This is the kind of stuff that gets even me annoyed. Why always the comparison with Mario?
Sonic is it's own unique thing and one series cannot be used as a substitute for the other. I think this is also one of the reasons that Sonic games generally get trashed. People have Mario on their minds and expect a Sonic game to be just like that. And then the copycat mentality of todays internet sets in and when one person says "it sucks" everyone copies it blindly.

Seriously, we're in such a twisted world. Everything Sonic tries gets instantly ridiculed and everything Mario does is automatically praised to the heavens. This is before looking deeper into the games, and yes that reveals that Mario has the better quality and it's concepts just work flawlessly. The point is, that it's just unfair.

Anyway, this talk about the series as a whole is getting nowhere and not what this thread is meant for.
So please try to steer it back into the direction of the two games in the title if you can.
by BlueMue
Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Swearing in Shenmue III?

It should have some. It doesn't need any f-bombs but the occasional outburst of medium swear words just makes the dialogues feel more natural.
by BlueMue
Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A quick update on what has been added since it's been a while and I have started a new mini series.

Predictive Explosion's Myth

Ryo's Driver's License

Random Object #1 - UV Sterilizer

Random Object #2 - Super Ball
by BlueMue
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update #76: Say Hello to the Deep Silver Promotion Team

At least we now have an official statement about the things we already assumed were the reason for the lack of updates and insights into the project. I fully respect that. Just let them work and do their best.
by BlueMue
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kickstarter Update #76 - Say Hello to the Deep Silver Promo

https://i.imgur.com/TfyB55T.jpg

After a long break we finally get another Kickstarter update, giving us some insights as to why there was a pause in the first place and further information of Deep Silver's involvement in the project.

Links: Kickstarter Update #76 | Forum Discussion
by BlueMue
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Daily Shenmue - Starting November 29th

I did this "annualy" a couple of years ago, two or three times. It's a fun way to experience the game for sure.
Really shows you how little there is to do on some days and how much on others. Of course watching the intro and then putting the game aside for 4 days is already one hell of a start.
by BlueMue
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Just woke up from a SIII dream!

Had another Shenmue III dream this night. It was... strange. But at least parts were nice.

It started off in some bavarian looking town square off all places. There was definately some German singing going on in the background. In the beginning it was first person but after a while it turned to a familiar view and I was controlling Shenhua with a free camera.

Then it turned to the lost train chapter apparently. Curiously this is already the second time I dreamed of Ryo around a train. Anyway it was a QTE scene and I was anxious how it would play out. It was a really cool one take like shot with the camera constantly panning from outside the speeding train, following Ryo as you saw him through the windows, beating up a bunch of guys in very stylish QTE fashion on his way through. The button prompts were a little hard to follow as the action on screen just took me so much and the display was a lot smaller and more towards the bottom of screen. The sounds were also a lot more quiet and I was expecting more of the new system.

Then it turned into a full on shooter. I was surprised how many people had guns and that Ryo fired back. It even went as far as Ryo manning a machine gun mounted on the back of a car that raced through an area crowded with bad guys. It was... disturbing.

It was definately Shenmue III all along because I knew I was playing it the whole way through the dream. I even hat a lenghty conversation with Yu Suzuki, where he tried to speak German, wich turned out quite good after a while. :-k
by BlueMue
Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update #77: New Character & Lakshya Digital

This came unexpected. I was in doubt at first but after reading what that team has pulled off in the past I'm reassured they're going to do a great job and we'll end up with a nice looking character roster.

By the way that new character reminds me of Kureha from Ninja Gaiden a lot!

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/ninjagaiden/images/c/c9/Kureha_ninja_gaiden_sigma.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090918023833
by BlueMue
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How did they F the Xbox port so badly?

I think those are in there because they didn't use the final version of the game for the Xbox port but some earlier built.
That's exactly what I've been thinking for quite some time now. It sure sounds like a feasible explanation for some of the grave mistakes in design and music they made. Surely they must've gone through all the files while converting them and porting them over so things can't just be overlooked.

The worst offenders for me are the motion blur during fights, the wrong textures on the Bellwood's vending machine and how they ruined the BHW music and used the wrong tune when getting of the boat in Guilin.
Then there's the whole deal of removing parts of the enviroment in some areas, mainly in the Green Market Qr. They also simplified some textures and surfaces. A lot of transparent glass has been replaced by solid pieces of metal and just look at how flat the roof of Superior Sweets looks on the Xbox. These can't be for performance reasons with the Xbox having such an easy time with the game but maybe there were visual issues with the improved shadow system or something.

They've also been very lazy when bringing the game to the PAL region. Sure it's nice that we naturally got both version but the game is entirely in English. The DC version had the menu, help and notebook text translated into various European languages. Also no 480p support. Of course not.
by BlueMue
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So I was watching todays AVGN christmas episode and something really surprised me.
The Nerd makes a funny joke about how just reading something fixes his car. He picks up some game magazines and flips through them. And out of all the things he has what is the first one?

https://i.imgur.com/CWNAU23.jpg
I don't know if there is any meaning at all behind this. Could just have been chosen at random. I still find it awesome to see "Shenmue" in one of his videos. Even though in a very strange way. :lol:
by BlueMue
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: My ideas for Shenmue III's combat system (poll).

Why should a Virtua Fighter based system change to something Tekken based?
I don't really like the thought of switching to something not YS and I don't like that system all that much honestly.
More importantly Yu Suzuki is someone who doesn't get influence from other games so why would he ever think of copying something?

I definately don't need a whole lot of change to the system we already have. Just some minor tweaks to the camera and lock-on so it's even more controllable. It should not be simplified to feel like other open world games. It should still feel like a fighting game. Might have its downsides in a group fight but shines all the more in a 1v1 situation.
by BlueMue
Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kickstarter Update #78: Then, Now and Tomorrow

https://i.imgur.com/Qq6N9b3.jpg

It's the season of giving and sharing and 2017 is nearing it's end so it's time for this year's final Kickstarter update!
In a casual conversation Yu Suzuki and Hiroaki Takeuchi reflect on Shenmue III's creation so far and we get some insight what is done right now and looks into the future, forward to 2018, the year of Shenmue. Merry Christmas!

Links: Video Interview | Kickstarter Update #78 | Forum Discussion
by BlueMue
Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Get some sense back in here please, even if may require to remain silent.
by BlueMue
Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lets Talk Shenmue HD

Well it's somewhat of a Shenmue item, considering you can buy one and use it in the basement.
But a lightbulb is a very generic thing, symbolising just about any "idea" and there are 1000s of other things that I would rather link with Shenmue.
by BlueMue
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Language barrier theory

Abraham_1 wrote:Another one I can think of is how Tom says he’s leaving for America tomorrow and yet he appears to board a plane there that night.

I think the plane shown in the cutscene is just a symbol. It's not the one that Tom is actually supposed to be on. It admittedly confused me too.
by BlueMue
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UPDATE #80 MAGIC 2018: New Pics Up!

It didn't mean to entirely miss to buzz around Magic but it was still a somewhat concieous decsion of mine not to look on the computer too much. Seems I didn't miss too much.

As I have started to not expect too much from the updates I wasn't hoping for something big at all but this still felt very light on content even with that mentalitly. I like the new screenshots and some of the extra footage in the extended trailer is great and I'd say better stuff than what was shown to everyone in the regular trailer but it's still old old footage and it's still not uploaded by them for the general public. Still need to know what Yu was saying and the subsequent new interviews but if they aren't holding back a lot of stuff the whole 20th anniversary release thing seems another bit more likely.
by BlueMue
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

While checking back some footage of the 70 Person Free Battle that I recorded I noticed that the game replaces the low-poly Ryo from the fight 1 frame early for the following cutscene. This made an interesting comparsion gif.

by BlueMue
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Easiest way to get the Monkey Roll Drop and Heel Sweep?

I could never bring myself to get those move legitimately. It just requires way too much luck and thus time.
Only ever did it on old Demul with a quick save right before dropping the ball, moving it inch by inch until the drop would land.

So big congratulations on getting the damn thing! Make sure to check out that move video because one of the moves has an extension that is unexplained in game.
by BlueMue
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Darts Mini Game World Record

There are lists of the various leaderboards that someone made shortly before the Passport Disc went offline in 2002.

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45554

I have a hunch that this isn't everything that was on the leaderboards. For one thing someone must've surely scored better than that. And also I have memories of uploading a darts score that would've landed VERY high on this leaderboard, yet there is nothing that matches what I remember. Maybe the 17-18 years that have passed since have taken their toll, I certainly can't remember the exact score and place I got anyway, but I'm very sure it was just a little over 700 points and that I wasn't near the top of the board at all.

Maybe some of the score have been lost leading up the the closure of the servers or maybe my score didn't get through after all. Who knows... It's definately a sad thing that most of the stuff is lost now. But at least some has been archived. Now I really wonder who this KAZEMARU is.
by BlueMue
Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

OMG they actually did it! While I had this funny feeling of things being different around this hype time it still is surprising that we do finally get it! I'm so happy, so excited for this now that I actually can not freak out for some reason. :lol:

The added features sound like just what we need so far but I'm curious if there's more like save anywhere in Shenmue and how widescreen and the resolutions are handled. Now we can start hoping for cleared file transfer to Shenmue III again!
by BlueMue
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Return of the Passport?

This is the most important question to me right now. Will we see a return of all the features on the Passport Disc?

It was one of my dearest wishes to see the leaderboards and stuff go active again, there is loads of extra replay value if they bring this all back. The old urgent messages section could be used to bring in Shenmue III news, if the games releases are far enough apart.

It will definately take them quite a lot of extra effort to deliver this but man do I hope they do!
by BlueMue
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nice to have Features for HD Release

Well, these wishlists have been made a whole bunch of times before but now things are a bit different of course. 8)

Passport is definaltey the biggest point for me, see the topic I made for that. Thus far they have promised us some nice extra features that many had on their lists but what they still have to announce is save anywhere and time skip for Shenmue. I know it wasn't the intention of Yu to have those in the first game but since they finally got up and work on the games this has to be added for the newcomers.

I'd like to see some more modern, cleaner subtitles but only as an added option to the original style.

On a technical side I think they can easily get rid of the slowdowns and I hope they also remove the NPC fade in entirely. Loading times should be shortened to a minimum aswell. I think they can also ditch the question if you want to save where a disc change originally occured. The structure of the Xbox version was too much of a direct port with the disc folders on the DVD and they can easily get rid of it.
by BlueMue
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What trophies/achievements do you want to see in 1 & 2 H

I made a list about 7 years ago that I posted in another topic around here.

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49470&p=1125798#p1125798

Darts Pro
Finish a Darts 7 game with a score of 500 or more

Neo Darts Pro
Finish a Neo Darts game with a score of 400 or more

Endless QTE
Reach 100.000 points at Excite QTE 2

Prize Fighter
Reach 250.000 points at QTE Title

Winning Run
Earn 7.500.000 points in Hang-On

Squilla Killa
Earn 7.500.000 points in Space Harrier

Cool Gambler
Collect 1000 tokens at the slot house

I won!
Win the 1st , 2nd or 3rd prize at the raffle

Sega Collector
Get one of the toy capsule consoles

Music Freak
Buy all cassette tapes

Master of all arts
Learn all the martial arts techniques

Training always pays off
Train a move to the maximum level

Clean getaway
Win a fight with full health

Photo album of 1986
Find and get all photos

Walkie Talkie
Talk to every shop owner in town

Around the clock
Reach a total playtime of 24 hours

Half a marathon
Run for a total of 21098 meters

Target locked
Lock on to a total of 100 objects

As strong as a hundred men
Defeat a total of 100 enemies

Blockhead
Collide with walls or objects a total of 200 times

Fast reflexes
Reach an average QTE reaction time of 0,99 seconds or less

Now that's an achaivement
Do something you thought would be impossible

Secret achievements

All good deeds shall be rewarded
Helped the old lady in Sakuragaoka

Welcome to the city
Reached Dobuita

Billards Pro
Sunk the ball in one shot at the MJQ Jazz Bar

A tattoo on his arm
Found Charlie

A kitten named...
Gave the little kitten a name

Mysterious letter
Received the letter to Iwao

Quencher
Gave Wang something to drink

104 Directory
Used the telephone directory to find out where area 61 is

Earth and Sea
Reached the harbor

An old friend
Made friends with the homeless man at the harbor

Heaven, Dragon, Earth, Comrad
Met Master Chen

The secret of the Hazuki Dojo
Found the hidden basement of the Hazuki Dojo

Got it!
Found the phoenix mirror

Destination Hong Kong
Bought a ticket to Hong Kong

Damn punks
Learned about the Mad Angels

Working man
Found a job at the harbor

Grand Prix
Won the forklift race

Hats off to the hard working man
Delivered all crates on a day at work

The Mad Angels are after you
Caught the attention of the Mad Angels

You're not getting away this time
Defeated Charlie at the harbor

Who's the boss?
Found out who's the leader of the Mad Angels

Can I use your motorcycle?
Reached the harbor in time

All your fault
Saved Nozomi from the Mad Angels

You and what gang?
Defeated Terry's entire gang

Heegh
Defeated Chai

Departure on a new trip
Completed the game
by BlueMue
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

May I remind you of this?

phpBB [video]
by BlueMue
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Logo Poll [Back]

They changed the S in such an elegant way for I&II that it took me until now to realize it was even changed...
The Shenmue III logo can surely follow this route, I quite like it.
by BlueMue
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Remaster VS Original Comparison Video

The aspect ratio for I & II seems wrong because the one in the Dreamcast footage is wrong.

It is definately too lean, the image is not as wide as properly adjusted 4:3 looks. Compare the amount of black borders to any of my videos from the DC that I uploaded in the past 2 years.
by BlueMue
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sales prediction (first year)

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why it is a good thing that "Shenmue I & II" is called that and just that.

Going back on topic... I think with the large userbase, low price point, general interest in the series ever since the Kickstarter and many here buying multiple copies it can reach close to a million in its first year.
by BlueMue
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Remaster VS Original Comparison Video

It's sad that you tell me and the developers of I & II off as doing everything wrong but what's sadder is that people here rather believe this than calm down and take things correctly.
by BlueMue
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Haven't been using this topic for updates in a looong time but didn't want to throw this in any of the "HD" topics.

Shenmue I & II - Initial Thoughts

It's basically a collection of all the thoughts I had in the last 2 days surrounding the announcement said game.
Those of you who might have been reading through the vast amount of posts since then around here will recognize a lot of it repeats...

Shenmue I & II just filled me with an incredible amount of writing energy.
by BlueMue
Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD Fact sheet

There is no problem with the sky's design in Shenmue but the textures are just way too low res and appear blocky.
With the increased resolution it becomes all the more apparent and it catches your eyes quickly.

Judging by the trailer they already put some work into it. Even if they just put some bilinear filter over it, it will help without ruining the look. Creating a sky dome like in Shenmue II is definately asking too much and yeah the sky's look is definately part of Shenmue.
by BlueMue
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

“We’ve tried to stay as close to the original feature sets in each game as possible, so Shenmue 1 will not have the time skip feature,”
This is actually very admirable. That they don't want to change things too much in order to honor the legacy.
Makes it sound like we won't be getting a save anywhere option either, though nothing definitive yet of course.

It think that feature is definaltey more important for newcomers. The system where the resume file deletes itself is really confusing in this day and age. If you can read it's not a big deal of course but I know of people that tried the game on emulators and didn't bother to read and they were baffled why the files were gone.

Hope they change at least this up a bit. The fact that they are redoing the controls shows that they know about the new player problems.
by BlueMue
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Achievement list published already -- Potential Spoilers

That list is pretty generic and simple. Most of it is just story or minor detours. Nothing creative or challenging really.

Seems that both games are counted as one entity. Makes sense as a lot of collections do this. Was thinking it would've been better to have them with seperate lists. Not that this is needed to have a big list or get 2000 points for it, no problem with that these days. Only 48 achievemets is really not enough for two games this large and filled with stuff to do.
by BlueMue
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

I like to mention the facts about how the Beta of Shenmue technically has both a time skip option and save anywhere with the aid of its debug options. Not everyone knows about them so it might be interstings.

The save option brings up the regular menu where you select a file and save, just as one would expect. It just isn't 100% on the spot though as Ryo will be standing at an entrance point of the area he's in. NPCs also have to respawn wich can mess up their routines a bit.

The clock can be turned forward and back at 3 different speeds each at any point. This definatly messes up the NPC routines as they just can't keep up with their schedules and thus the streets will be very crowded and stores open with no one inside to attend it. These results are amusing in their own way but not something that should be seen normaly. Of course messing with the time whenever you like goes much further than skipping time in Shenmue II.

These examples shows where the problems are and why these features were ultimately easier to pull of Shenmue if not the only way to pull them of at all at the time. That is not to say that it's impossible to make this work properly with todays technology. The save files can be much much larger and include all the necessary locations and routine points of the NPCs as well as Ryo's of course.

The time skip wouldn't really mess up the NPCs the way they work in Shenmue II because you don't really see things moving about and the time will skip to the point where Ryo has to go to bed. Of course that means only points where Ryo has to wait for the next day are sure to work without issues but adding these would be enough.
Another approach to save some time would be to allow Ryo to advance time quickly in his bedroom until he can go to sleep. Or just make it possible to go to sleep whenever you want... though that approach really goes against the foundations of Shenmue.
by BlueMue
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

I don't think it's a conscious decision to keep the original aspect ratio just to keep it well... original.

Since games aren't like film you can just make more stuff visible on the sides to fill widescreen instead of cropping and losing someting from the top and bottom. And that's the key here, nothing is lost, so nothing envisioned is ruined. On top of that I don't recall any instance of a cutscene in Shenmue that doesn't work with the more cinematic widescreen, they are all improved. And after all they introduced that look with black bars in Shenmue II.

Anyway I defend the point that nothing is to be taken as a fact from the screenshots we've seen to far. And because we've seen both cutscenes and gameplay in original format and full widescreen to me matches with the fact that there will be an option to chose this. Beyond that they are also definately still testing things out at this stage.
by BlueMue
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Will the audio be improved in the HD version?

Some of the music also took a bit of a hit. Namely the opening of Shenmue and the rooftop cutscene after Dou Niu's defeat in Shenmue II.

Unlike the majority of the music, with is sample based and generated on the fly these are prerecorded.
But there is no big problem with them, just a bit scratchy and only noticeable when you compare it to a "clean" version.
The credits themes are also streaming audio but those are at full quality. Not sure why they decided to dial the settings back a bit for these cutscenes but they are of course overlapped by sound effects and voices so either that was limiting or they decided to take the saveable space because it isn't just the music alone.

In any way these are pretty much the easiest things to fix. Shenmue's opening is on the Orchestra Soundtrack and the rooftop music already has high quality in the Xbox version.
by BlueMue
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic