Search found 19 matches

Return

Re: Shenmue Excluded From Sonic Allstar Racing Transformed

Haven't posted since all that HD tomfoolery earlier in the year (still expect it to happen eventually, HD release would most likely be associated with some sort of discussion about the future of the saga if Sega has any sort of business sense anymore...) but as others have already posted, this excluded fron Allstar transformed matter does rile the emotions a bit.

As the devs (Sol, especially) have noted, this racing franchise is heavily rooted in the idea of assembling Sega's greatest IP/characters from past, present, and future into one big fan appreciation kart racing game - a Super Smash Bros of kart racing for Sega if you will. Does everyone remember how hard everyone crossed their fingers to have Ryo included in the first title and how (rightfully) proud SUMO was when they officially announced that against all opposition they had gone ahead and included one of gaming history's most misunderstood/underappreciated IP/characters based almost on nothing but their very own unbreakable passion for the series?

All I'm saying is this - SUMO's exclusion of Ryo from Transformed is - if you didn't realize it already - a HUGE blow against Shenmue support/re-emergence. Heck, Ryo's inclusion in the first All-Stars racing was one of the huge events that got the gaming world talking about Shenmue again in recent memory. For SUMO to exclude Ryo for reasons I will touch upon coming right up is another glaring example of a gaming development club either not caring enough to put the effort into revitalizing the Shenmue name or buckling under the pressure to do so.

Ryo's inclusion in the first All-Stars racing not only enticed many of us longtime Shenmue fans to anticipate, buy, and honestly enjoy the game but also impressed many other longtime, hardcore Sega fans in general who saw the inclusion of Ryo and many other Sega classic characters as an awesome reason to anticipate the game likewise. Ryo is without a doubt, definitely a Sega All-Star - has always been and always will be.

For SUMO to cite the weak excuse of 'oh, bike characters were too unbalanced' and remove Ryo just becuase he rode a bike in the first game is a slap in the face of everyone involved. If they truly believed Ryo belonged in the game and truly had passion to revitalize the image and acknowledgement of the series they would have made Ryo work in this game. They are game developers, after all, correct? It is the job of game developers to program, design, and develop concepts to work within the game design, right?

Heck, here's an idea. And it's free. And it ups the nostalgia of Shenmue even more if they had actually had the creativity to include this in Transformed. Don't like bikes? Fine. Include both Ryo and Lan Di as a racing team. Now listen carefully before questioning that duo. Default racing mode is Lan Di's black car (not a bike!). Boat mode is Lan Di's powerboat. Plane mode is Lan Di's helicopter (hell it could be Shenhua's hawk). Add to the nostalgia and fan appreciation by penning a tenuous and comedic fragile alliance between Ryo and Lan Di in their attempt to win in the racing game by having quotes/lines like: Ryo: "I will have my revenge!" Lan Di: "Just drive." etc.

TL;DR - Ryo deserves to be in Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed. Citing that bike characters didn't balance the game correctly is an excuse. Shenmue is robust enough of a series to have enough resource material to allow the SUMO developers to exercise enough game developing creativity to make Ryo work - if they were truly passionate about keeping Ryo and the Shenmue franchise alive in the game. Unless they truly aren't.

PS. Really hope Ryo gets developed as an upcoming DLC character for Dead or Alive 5. If you get pass the brand's signature superficial T&A trappings fighting game fans will find that DOA5 is the best yet and certainly an extremely solid and competent fighting game. Ryo would fit well. Having Lan Di included as well would allow all of us to enact that final dream battle that we continue to day dream about ten years and going. Although being a DOA game, wouldn't mind seeing how Team NINJA would develop a Xiuying DLC character, if you know what I'm sayin'...
by Wanderin'
Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GDC manager tweet rumors Shenmue 3 for PS4.

Hey these are seriously neat ideas folks, and these are terrifically exciting times - keep it up, guys!

Yep - and I also think Adam does a good job of summing up the immediate discussion surrounding the whole Suzuki X Cerny photo at GDC 2013 floating around the interwebs, currently (and of elaborating at length about what his views are on where he thinks the industry is potentially heading - interesting commentary, to say the least) to the public (well, at least the YouTube public) outside of our little bubble forum world here.

Yes, the biggest problem with the Dojo is *not* that its members and posters aren't passionate enough and don't make smart and credible observations - it's that the Dojo is just an audience of Shenmue fans for Shenmue fans. And it doesn't matter if fans give each other pats on the back - the challenge is trying to get the gaming audience/populace at large to notice our point(s). And as Adam says in his video - cheers to making sure we continue to talk Shenmue 3 (S3) everywhere and anywhere, especially now, given the supportive circumstances.

Now that that's out of the way, let's begin.

1) Given that Mark Cerny and Yu Suzuki are *actually* friends (at least close aqcuaintances, considering that both used to work at Sega at the same time - although not on the same projects - and thus at least share a friendship as professional colleagues), I don't think they just ran into each other randomly at GDC 2013. But I also don't think they met specifically to talk about S3 either. Rather, considering how well known the S3 matter is and how well acquainted the two are I want to suggest that Cerny at least passingly discusses the issue with Yu *almost every time* they manage to run into each other at events like GDC, E3, etc.

As in, Cerny sort of just asks Yu "hey, have any plans for S3 come further yet?". Now, I don't mean to say that Cerny asks that just to be flippant or to just come across as being interested in Yu's projects. Rather, I imagine he sincerely asks Suzuki this all the time to honestly catch up with his friend. That being said, I *do* fully believe that someone most likely overheard Cerny and Suzuki discussing the possibility of S3 for PS4 recently at GDC 2013 - but that that disucssion was most likely spontaneous and purely trivial in that it was just two friends chatting, catching up, and entertaining some optimistic possibiltiies for S3 now that the next generation has arrived, again.

On the other hand, given that Cerny did secretly become ( I imagine that Sony must have had him agree to non-disclosure clauses about his involvement with the PS4) the chief architect for PS4, and that this fact has only really been revealed to Suzuki now - it is not unfair to say that Cerny now might always be looking out for good fitting opportunities at Sony (if even at the very back of his mind) for his friend Suzuki to negotiate the Shenmue IP as being a good fit for the PS4 portfolio. As...

2) Yes, I don't think Shenmue any longer has any chance of being relevant on a Microsoft console - not as an exclusive, at least. Sure, Microsoft and the XBOX was the last known home of Shenmue (Shenmue 2 on XBOX) for the primary western market/audience in North America - but that is a *very* weak hand to play considering yes, just how poorly Xbox performs in Japan and just how poor Microsoft/Xbox's performance will most likely remain in Japan going forward. Given that, and considering just how abstract and complicated the S3 issue literally is, it is not difficult to believe that Microsoft is not at all willing to spend the necessary time and money to come through with some sort of exclusive-saviour deal for a next generation S3, considering that...

3) Sega has actually been traditionally *very* buddy-buddy with Sony since well, the PS2. Without Sony and the Playstation brand, Sega wouldn't have its current ongoing major cash crop successes with the Yakuza brand, Project Diva brand, and perhaps their Phantasy Star Online experience. Given this, it isn't hard to imagine that if Sega *had* to choose - surely they'd allow Suzuki to pursue further Shenmue related projects with Sony before anyone else.

I don't necessarily agree that S3 will never be possible for WiiU because Nintendo isn't interested - but more so because Shenmue doesn't fit culturally with more and more what Nintendo is trying to do with its console. Just as with our previous debates concerning S3 on Wii, S3 doesn't 'fit culturally' with the WiiU because from its core concept, S3 is not a title that relies on or would even benefit from, really, the integrated use of motion control, smart glass/tablet game control, or what have you that the WiiU focuses upon.

I'm not saying that Suzuki couldn't design S3 to benefit from utilizing those features, but I think most of us agree that Shenmue benefits most from being played and experienced as an as traditional, core cord and controller experience as possible. That isn't to disparage the core Shenmue experience or to say that it can't keep up with the times - but just like say Virtua Fighter will always be a controller/joystick experience, the core experience that Suzuki envisions with Shenmue is that of a fundamentally traditional gaming experience that doesn't involve any reliance on what are more or less tangential contrivances in motion control, Kinect, Move, etc.

And as coincidential as it seems, Sony out of the big 3 of Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony are seemingly trying to maintain themselves as *the home* for core, traditional gamers with the PS4. Like I say, Nintendo continues to escalate their evolution of motion control and remote play. This is not a bad thing - but Nintendo has always been eccentric; which is thankfully innovative and mind blowing, but *almost always* alienates them from every other third party publisher, forcing always the Nintendo first parties to struggle to make up for the deficit in software for their console. But - because those first party games are forced to adhere to the eccentricity of the home console, it becomes necessary to critique those games in their own category, which effectively separates WiiU from the realm of the PS4 and Xbox 720, and from the realm of core, traditional games - which is technically a good thing because this forces and drives innovation, but also effectively excludes S3 because S3 isn't made in the vision of such eccentricity, as noted previously.

While on the other hand, as much as many of us are Xbox fans, it seems like Microsoft is *really* keen on making the next Xbox a *social media* machine, what with its constant internet connection and mandatory Kinect functionality.

With the PS4 at least, it appears that if you still really wanted to, you *can* still just turn it on, put in a game, and just play it with your cord and controller - which is the tradition of gaming out of which Shenmue and S3 was born, and the core tradition of game playing that so many of us passionate gaming enthusiasts so desperately try to protect and preserve as the games industry continues to become more and more irrationally abstract and absurd going forward.

So yes, given that Sony might actually want to be promoting itself as the last true home of core, traditional gaming and surprisingly how much ongoing credibility S3 continues to command as one of the last great neigh mythic hardcore gaming experiences that still demands a proper sequel conclusion, Sony and Shenmue make a good fit. They also make a good fit because I actually see Sony *wanting* to devote the necessary resources to make Shenmue a success on Playstation. Sony has intererstingly traditionally been very receptive of 'gaming as art'. Jenova Chen of thatgamecompany (ie. Journey, Flower, etc.) recently said the same of the company, complimenting Sony for being very respectful of games being able to offer mature, artistic experiences while Microsoft 'just didn't seem like they actively promoted that kind of culture', even though Microsoft is easily very forward thinking about games as art too.

But seeing as Sony enjoys its ICOs, Shadow of the Colossuses, Journeys, Unfinished Swans, Quantic Dreams, Rains, Tokyo Jungles, AFRIKAs, etc., I think Sony has both the money and the relevant experience to develop and promote Shenmue *as something*. Especially how much Sony has always prided itself as fusing technology with 'emotion'. I'm not a graphics snob myself, but Shenmue was a game that always tried to be as photorealistic/realistic as possible - one of Suzuki's original visions was always to try and present fantasy and wonder in as real a setting/circumstances as possible, trying to prove that the Dreamcast was capable of making all the incredible things happening on the screen occur almost right before your eyes in real life.

For Sony to be able to make and prove their point in Shenmue, a game that focuses so much on accentuating facial expressions, mind boggling attention to authentic cultural and locational minutiae, system taxing massive living virtual eco-systems with hundreds of onscreen characters - each of which can be individually spoken to with unique recorded voice work - and AI schedules, all of which converges to present a spiritually emotional interactive experience for the gamer, then I think a Sony X Shenmue possibility could be a once in a lifetime opportunity that is unravelling right before our eyes. And finally,

4) I think the whole experience *has* to be in a single product as a so-called Shenmue Saga. Releasing *just* Shenmue 3 is too much of a risk - too much of a risk if gamers *don't* actually buy the digital re-releases of S1 and S2 leading up to S3's release, thus making S3 irrelevant right out of the gate. This is an all or nothing thing - either S3 gets made or it doesn't. We can't 'test the waters' with digital re-releases of S1 and S2 because that is too uncertain. People might download them and anticipate S3 or they might not.

But if we just bundle all of it together, the Saga markets itself. For those who are curious, the Saga is the only place to get the 3 games so they will have to buy it to experience them. For eternal fans like us, the Saga is an awesome love letter that conveniently houses the entire experience for which we have fought for for just so many years.

So. I apologise for the incredible length here, but my point is this: we need to be starting a new and fresh campaign that needs to be stronger than every one that has come before it. And the campaign is this: we have to play to Sony's reputation. We literally have to back Sony into a corner now where they have no choice but to act on Shenmue in order to save face, in competition with Microsoft and Nintendo. But how?

Well we have to start by drumming Sony up, by applauding them for being so unique from Microsoft for being such a patron of unique, mature, and artistic games like Journey, Unfinished Swan, Last Guardian, anything from Quantic Dreams (I know, I know - most of us here don't always see eye to eye with David Cage, myself included), etc. And then we must play to their emotions - let them know that a decade's worth of hopes and dreams from many thousands of core, traditional and mature gamers now look to Sony and their new PS4 as true salvation - that whereas Microsoft and Nintendo could never possibly do what we are pleading for, Sony can.

If we get this sensational enough, then Sony has to respond. Yes - the answer can most likely still be no, and then we'll have lost nothing, as long-suffering Shenmue fans. But if Sony answers with anything less than yes to S3, they stand to lose some reputation and credibility, especially if we apply so heavily to the apparent 'advantage' they command over their contemporaries in supporting and making high quality eccentrically artistic games.

And if it ever gets to this point, Sega will have no choice but to let Suzuki work on Shenmue again and jump once more into the rabbit hole, especially with this much media contention.

Terribly exciting - and scary - times indeed, my friends. Cheers.
by Wanderin'
Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes, that is fair enough - that the WiiU could easily be just as viable an option for S3 as PS4, albeit with some quibbles.

It is not just about the controller/control modalities of the WiiU. Any games that come out on WiiU need to be fundamentally designed to incorporate, or at least involve passingly, some kind of motion control or touch screen functionality to justify why that game either 'needs to be on the WiiU' or is presumably 'a better experience' with the WiiU's tablet and motion control innovations.

For example, both Batman/Arkham 2 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution are definitively traditionally playing games - they are best played as pure and simple cord and controller games. But when a retooled and exclusive WiiU 'armored edition' of Arkham 2 shipped as a launch title for WiiU, the major difference of this WiiU version was that it was modified to incorporate the WiiU's motion sensing tablet controller's touch screen functionality as an integral aspect to the gameplay (ie. inventory, x-ray scanning aiming, projectile toss aiming, etc.). The same will go for the upcoming WiiU Deus Ex re-release as well - it will tout some sort of touch screen interface designed to be integral to the game's experience on the WiiU.

All of this IS NOT a bad thing in and of itself and Shenmue 3 could theoretically 'fit culturally' within this way of doing things, but from the examples above, I want to imagine that we can appreciate that for Suzuki to be able to successfully 'sell' Nintendo on making Shenmue a part of the WiiU portfolio he would have to propose how he could potentially make motion control and tablet touch screen functionalities integral to the play of Shenmue 3 in order to make it 'fit' into the kind of game playing experience that Nintendo is trying to sell with the WiiU. And this IS fine (after all Shenmue 3 on any platform - be it even WiiU or Xbox 720 - would be far better than no Shenmue 3 at all) - after all how hard is it to tack on a touch screen inventory and motion controlled first person perspective camera control - but it just seems exactly like that: extraneous hoops for Suzuki to have to tack on WiiU functionality to make S3 attractive to the Nintendo businessmen he has to sell it to.

Besides - Mark Cerny *is* the chief architect for the PS4. But never mind that he is the chief architect, actually. For someone like Cerny, who is good friends with Suzuki and is sincerely appreciative of what Shenmue was and is, to be working within a position of some potential decision making power at a competent company like Sony does/should count a heck of a lot for something, if at all. Remember - if even at the very back of his mind, precisely because Cerny is friends with Suzuki and is sympathetic to Shenmue's circumstances, he might always be cognizant of when maybe a chance will present itself within Sony's strategies to re-introduce Shenmue and give his buddy Suzuki something to work with, at long last.

Or, maybe not. And all of us long-standing Shenmue fans will be left with nothing once again. Which is well, what we've always had in the first place. Cheers.
by Wanderin'
Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are as it were, more than correct. I personally continue to respect, honour, and believe in Mr. Suzuki as an immensely talented veteran game designer. As such, if Shenmue 3 did come to fruition on WiiU, I have no doubt that he would be able to incorporate the console's main touch screen tablet controls in a meaningful and appreciated manner for the game.

However, I still want to make the distinction. Whereas touch screen tablet control and motion control are very clearly made evident as the main functionality of the WiiU (ie. I personally like the WiiU and continue to be a passionate veteran Nintendo enthusiast - but it's evident to see that when more than 50% of the WiiU's tablet controller is preoccupied with its touch screen, that there is a certain expectation on both the company/developers side and the gaming audience's side to have a WiiU game necessarily, integrally, and meaningfully involve such related funtionality), a console like the PS4 with its new controller (I cannot mention the new Xbox yet for it would all be conjecture, considering none of us have seen a reveal for it yet), while sporting integrated Move and touch screen funtionality, is designed in such a way (as a traditional dual shock controller) as to suggest that core, traditional cord and controller functionality is still the *main focus* and that surely any Move/touch screen compatibility is purely optional.

Besides, as gaming enthusiasts we should not necessarily be so lenient about developers including 'throw-away' or inconsequential and frivolous motion/touch screen control just because Nintendo seemingly wanted to curry the favour of a core, traditional game developer in Platinum Games to make such a title for their console. After all, as much of a real Nintendo fan as I am, I always cannot help but feel as if Nintendo and their Wii/WiiU has fell short in some way when a particular game on the console plays just as well - if not entirely better - with *just* the conventional no motion control, no touch screen, no nonsense Classic Controller/Pro.

But, I digress. This discussion is purely academic as I would so very dearly easily want to see S3 on WiiU if that could truly be a possibility. As most of us know, there *can be NO console partisanship* when it comes to our hopes for Shenmue 3. That, would surely only be detrimental to our efforts.

Besides, being the eccentric optimist that I claim to be, I just cannot help but think that Mr. Mark Cerny would truly want to extend some kind of opportunity - if one EVER comes - from within his position at Sony to Suzuki if possible, just because of how much he (at least compared to any other industry related celebrity at the moment) seems to be knowledgeable of Suzuki's plight and appreciative of what Shenmue was and is. Cheers.
by Wanderin'
Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Megatons at PSX on Dec 6th and 7th

What can I say? With every passing year there is always some kind of happening or event that stirs even the hearts of longtime Dojo lurkers into hopelessly believing that something, *anything* regarding Shenmue will happen. So, here's my worthless two cents:

1) Even if nothing happens at all with Shenmue at this upcoming Playstation Experience event (which, is more than likely), we gotta keep at it. Although the various little nods/things Adam Boyes (ie. "Rome wasn't built in a day," when asked about Sony and Shenmue 3 at E3), Gio Corsi, Scott Rohde ("You Shenmue fans sure are persistent," when tweeting about the ongoing Twitter campaign for Shenmue), etc. have mentioned towards a Sony X Shenmue collaboration have mainly sounded like mere lip service, it is meaningful.

Think about it. When was the last time *any* major and competent first party was willing to even entertain the idea and possibility of continuing on with Shenmue when we the fans asked for it? Probably never. Even Microsoft doesn't actively make a habit out of giving these little nods to us - and yet Sony does. Let's take it for what it's worth and keep trying. It's a minor foothold at least, and we've almost never had any kind of footholds, ever. Which leads me to...

2) Does anyone here actually have the privilege of going to the event this weekend? Or do they know anyone who is going to the event? Because this is going down: http://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2014/playstation-experience/panels/#storytime

Essentially Shuhei Yoshida, Adam Boyes, and Scott Rohde are holding a Reddit style "Ask Me Anything" panel at the event. If we can literally ask them anything in good faith, then all it takes is one of us to ask something along the lines of "How likely is a collaboration between Sony and Yu Suzuki/Sega to continue with the Shenmue series?" or "Many Sony fans and long time gamers wanting to join the Sony family (is it too much to suggest that Sony would see a minor, but appreciable bump in PS4 sales and ownership if they made Shenmue a Sony exclusive?) strongly wonder whether or not Sony can work together with Yu Suzuki/Sega to continue the Shenmue series. Can you speak about that possibility?".

If we can maybe at least fire off a question like that with all three of Yoshida, Boyes, and Rohde in person at the same time in front of all the major gaming media, we might get an entertaining response, at the very least.

3) Other than all that, did anyone else think the "Between Shu Ferns" crack about wanting a game called "Shamwow 4" from Gio Corsi's #BuildingTheList was another nod towards Shenmue (and not just a random gag about the shamwow cleaning sponge)? Nevertheless, even Sony's own PR continues to entice us to contribute to their #BuildingTheList campaign. With all our continued effort, let's hope the Shenmue series becomes one of the campaign's triumphs.
by Wanderin'
Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Conversation with Giocorsi (From LanDC at PSX)

Hmmm, this is all certainly very fascinating and encouraging to hear. Couple of quick points I'd like to throw out there:

1. Yakuza 5 is a fantastic sign that Sony - god love 'em - is actually working hard to satisfy their fans' requests. After all, never mind Shenmue for a moment. For the longest time, most western Yakuza fans also pretty much gave up on Sega ever supporting the series in the West again.

That Sega is now willing to put some kind of effort and resources into localizing Yakuza 5 for western release shows you just how hard Sony must have needed to work with Sega *just to have Yakuza 5 released as a digital release*.

2. There you have it folks. Shenmue I and II HD ports most likely exist in near finished form somewhere deep in Sega's bunker but that the software engine licensing issue truly is something that Sega (especially *today's* Sega) would not spend any time or effort on resolving.

3. So it might come down to this. Trying to get the HD re-releases out is almost starting to become too complicated an issue in its own right. It's almost like trying to get the HD releases out is taking time, effort, and resources away from just getting Suzuki the budget he needs to make the necessary new main core titles to just finish the series off.

Now hold on folks. I'm not trying to split up our focus or spread any negativity here. For me, it's almost like the release of a new Shenmue 3 has to be all or nothing - it's either going to be some kind of collection release of SI, SII, and S3 together or nothing at all. After all, we're right: Shenmue 3 won't make a whole lot of sense to a lot players without S1 and S2 *BUT* focusing *just* on trying to get HD S1 and S2 out before even contemplating making Shenmue 3 seems like a huge time, effort, and money sink that would be better served working on the actual Shenmue 3.

(On a tangent, I would assume Suzuki would know a thing or two about who actually owns the software engine rights to the two games he made personally, wouldn't he? And once we know who owns the rights, although I don't want to sound shallow here, it would just be the matter of throwing them enough money to purchase the rights to expressing this engine again with S1 and S2 HD re-releases...)

Just some food for thought. On the other hand, chin up! Sony does hear us and is literally in the business of making our requests come true. Moving forward, we need to keep on trying and become part of the solution somehow.
by Wanderin'
Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue E3 Discussion

Let's do this! Although for the love of it all I've honestly forgotten just how many times we've already tried to do this...no matter. It's been a sincere honour in continuing to support Shenmue over the past decade and a half with all of you, and I never lose hope or enthusiasm for what Mr.Suzuki may be capable of creating and sharing with us next. Will be watching and discussing closely with all of you in the coming hours and days. Chin up, guys and gals!
by Wanderin'
Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue E3 Discussion

Thank you all! It's been a damn hard road we've all walked on, but Shenmue 3 is surely reality now, especially with more or less 1 million dollars in just under an hour or so since the kickstarter started. But, although it may seem like we can all finally sigh in relief now, the work has only just begun and our hardest work is only yet to come! But! This continued hard work will pay off - just some quick thoughts to whet your imaginations:

1) Like many suggest, 2 million dollars is hardly enough to make a top calibre game these days. So where is the rest of Shenmue 3's real budget coming from? Likely a combination of what Suzuki himself has been able to accrue from several years of hard effort in rallying for this project and hopefully, most likely, Sony.

But this Kickstarter is incredibly important!!! This Kickstarter, and however much real money we fans literally finally end up contributing to it *IS* the proof that there is an audience waiting and wanting desperately for the game, which all in good faith should prove to whomever else is thinking about working with and supporting Suzuki monetarily that their money and resources is going towards a legitimately genuine cause.

Once and for all, let's prove to Sega that there is a real fanbase for Shenmue willing to truly support the franchise with our own hard earned money. It won't mean much, but it sure as hell will bolster Suzuki's pride knowing that his fans are there to support him truthfully and earnestly even when his own damn parent company in Sega didn't for all these years.

2) Shenmue 1 and 2 HD isn't so out of the question just yet. Sony do seem like they want Suzuki and Shenmue 3 to succeed. If the Kickstarter is a great success and Yu and Co. (truly awesome how Yu was able to get most of the original staff back together like a band to do this, once and for all...) truly do start working heavily on completing the game, there's no reason why Sony wouldn't step up to the plate and do whatever they can to make Shenmue 1 and 2 HD releases as a primer leading up to Shenmue 3 a reality.

Like Suzuki said it - the fate of Shenmue is in our hands now...as it's always been. While other fanbases get spoonfed their wildest wishes (ie. SquareEnix probably has no financial worry about remaking FF7...), we will always have to work hard to get ours. So - not until the very day when Shenmue 3 is finally released will our real work let up.

Let's do this, my dear friends. Thanks.
by Wanderin'
Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

It's *all* in the bag, folks. In many, a lot of ways, we all need to be particularly thankful for Sony's ongoing support. Check it out:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHmLY5RVAAAVnkN.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHl8Lb0VEAEtBN5.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHljk1wUYAMgHjz.jpg:large

I've never seen Yu this happy in a long while. What's even greater is how sincere it seems the smiles are on Shu, Corsi, and Boyes' faces' too. Phenomenal times we live in.
by Wanderin'
Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: To Be Honest, the Game Happening Is Amazing, But...

Like all things in life, all good things will eventually come to an end - no matter how bittersweet that reality may be. Given that, chin up, guys. We've been waiting for this for nearly all our lives.

And just as it is on the flip side of that coin of life, let's make the build up to and final complete realisation of Shenmue 3 one of the greatest times of our lives.

We'll cry not because Shenmue is finally over, but because it was real, did happen, and we were able to share in its significance directly.

Years from now, or even the very next morning, we can all tell our friends and family - no matter what circumstances we or they are caught in at the moment - that absolutely *nothing* is impossible, because, we, Shenmue, Mr. Suzuki, and the tough but stubborn little community we share here are legitimate proof that nothing is impossible - so long as you never give up and always give it your all to fulfill those greatest dreams and wishes of yours.

Let's not let our efforts go to waste! Life is full of so many possibilities...and we've only just made one come true today. Thanks.
by Wanderin'
Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INS

Wow. Despite the fact that we truly have achieved a great victory, the amount and kinds of continuing and ongoing activities that we must now dedicate ourselves to as a united community are surely dizzying:

1) That some people think that Sony's intervention in helping to fund *some* of Shenmue 3 because the Kickstarter is a success is some kind of non-transparent shadow dealing that devalues the real money backers pledge is truly laughable.

Just as Adam Boyes sincerely explains in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRGlVDi3FHQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1m40s), Shenmue is virtually a "religion...an [emotional] cultural heritage [piece] in videogame history" that no one single person or company can own. This is precisely why Sony did not - rather, *could* not - just outright buy out Shenmue 3 as a Sony project - because as we all know, something that is lauded emotionally by many doesn't always mean the same in terms of the magnitude of the actual profit return.

Case in point. Rather than try and persuade the higher ups at Sony for how ever many months or years until some kind of 25 million dollar+ budget could be set aside for Shenmue 3, Suzuki and Sony did the most ethical thing possible - use Kickstarter.

Because Shenmue is loved by many fans and not owned by just any one person, why not let the fans prove the case to those would be profit supporters for the Shenmue 3 project? This Kickstarter, and the higher the amount of money that we can pledge as fans is outright *necessary* to truthfully show and prove to any and all larger supporters (like Sony, and hell, even Sega) that any resources they might plan on contributing to the project would be justified and fruitful.

After all, can you imagine what would happen if we didn't all act to make the Kickstarter for Shenmue 3 a success, or if the Kickstarter was never even announced? No Shenmue 3 - that's what. We all have the see the greater picture. The Kickstarter was merely a catalyst to a much bigger game that we all find ourselves involved in now.

2) Unfortunately, the reality of game making is certainly centered around profits and budgets. Do any of us really think that Suzuki, and we, his fans, would ever be able to fund a viable and competent Shenmue 3 just by ourselves and whatever we could raise on Kickstarter? That Sony is planning on throwing its weight behind the development of Shenmue 3 shouldn't come as a shock. Neither should it be reason for us to stop contributing to the Kickstarter.

The more money, the better. That's all it comes down to. If we can hit all the stretch goals on Kickstarter and get Suzuki a fan pledge budget of 4, 8, maybe even 10 million dollars in addition to whatever other funding he'll get - that *will* make an impact. Sure, that's a lot of pressure to make a great game with so many resources thrown at it. But we can't get cold feet now. We can't just have complained for 14 years. We have to follow through with the project to its very end now. We're strapped in till the end.

3) December 2017 is a long way from now. Two more years of megaton E3s and other gaming conventions from now, in fact. The more money we pledge now and the more resources other companies like Sony contribute to Shenmue 3, who is to say that we won't get a special physical retail limited edition of the game for PS4? Or possibly even a polished mirror Jade/pearl green limited edition PS4 to boot?

And what about Sega? Now as we lead up to Shenmue 3's release, we can't falter in campaigning for HD updates of Shenmue 1 and 2. We have the most ammunition for this cause now than we've ever had before. Now that the Shenmue IP is back in the mainstream conversation and everyone is talking about it, Sega can't wriggle around non-committally about it like it usually does anymore.

My apologies, but I can't seem but think we're all actually doing all of this for Yu Suzuki himself. You know it must have taken immense courage on his part to finally commit to this project. Part of him must have known that the Kickstarter would have been a guaranteed success - but that he would be enveloped by incredible pressure to deliver as soon as he decided to go forward with all this.

So lets do it. Lets make the next two to three years the greatest years of Mr. Suzuki's creative career - let's afford him the budget and resources to make the one true game work that he's always dreamed of making, and let's put on the pressure for Sega to release his prior works in Shenmue 1 and 2 HD as part of that ongoing celebration.

We've worked long and hard for this - that much is true. So let's make all of this one of the greatest times of our lives. Cheers.
by Wanderin'
Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ideas to help the Kickstarter campaign

Those are fantastic and very practical ideas. What's even more important at this moment however, especially because most fans or potential backers already think that victory has been achieved by the $2,000,000 goal already being reached, is what we as a Shenmue revival/support community continue to do from here on out.

Yes, Shenmue 3 is now a reality. But that is not any reason why we should shut down or stop our ongoing social media campaigns via Twitter or what have you.

Although it might seem greedy or insensitive of us to ask for more and more ongoing monetary support and pledges to be contributed to the kickstarter from more new backers or even backers who have already pledged, the absolute reality is this: do you/we want the ultimate, most technically, technologically, and artistically complete Shenmue experience that the saga deserves, or not?

Although it sounds greedy, the greater the kickstarter budget becomes, the more resources Yu Suzuki will have ever to create that wildly excessive Shenmue experience we have only dared to dream of over the last decade and a half.

The more we can get the kickstarter pledge to become, the higher the sense of accountability also becomes - with more money and resources than any other game company would/could have ever offered Suzuki, he will have just that much more pride and be that much more emboldened to create the true Shenmue sequel that the series deserves.

So? Rah, rah, rah, folks. It's going to be hard and unenviable work - but this time, Shenmue 3 and the *quality* of Shenmue 3 really is on the line. We need to develop more public acknowledgement of the overall design goals and stretch goals for the project and ultimately try and get as many backers to increase the overall pledge dollar amount as high as possible if we want the best Shenmue 3 possible.

Some of us have dreamt of a $10 million dollar final pledge amount. We already made one dream cone true with the kickstarter. Now let's continue working hard to support this wish. Cheers!
by Wanderin'
Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

Well this is a little bit of a crap shoot - all the relevant questions we compiled (ie. will the original Virtua Fighter battle mechanic still be used, explain the stretch goals) are more or less completely dispersed or are not even present on the new AMA and Suzuki is more or less rifling through all the new questions to find easy ones to answer - most of which are mainly irrelevant.
by Wanderin'
Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

10 million's the target, boys and girls.
by Wanderin'
Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Y'know, I never truly thought that our hobbyist-fan passion for this one game series would end up becoming such a storied and enduring pillar/era, really, in all our lives. It only took us 14 years to get here. Are you all ready and willing to share and embark on the very begining of an entirely new and grand adventure that will finally see the Saga well and competently concluded with a Shenmue 4 - or dare we dream it, Shenmue FIVE?

I don't know how long this grand adventure will last when all is finally said and done - but it would be my genuine honour to stay the course with Mr. Suzuki and all the rest of the Dojo, for as long as it takes to reach the final passage of that saga, together.
by Wanderin'
Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adam Koralik - Shenmue 3's KS & Sony - "Truth & Lies"

The new theme really does sound like it would work incredibly well as Shenmue 3's opening menu screen soundtrack. It really sort of gives off that "retelling of a centuries old legendary saga forevermore" kinda vibe:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qd4MyNqI0fo

It's things like this, memories, emotions, feelings, and the longing to want to believe in the magic of videogames again that make this series, and this project so special.
by Wanderin'
Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki Makes Statement on Kickstarter Funding/Budget

As such passionate and long suffering fans we are however, it still seems immensely painful for Suzuki to have officially quoted a large and specific number/cost - 10 million dollars - that would literally make Shenmue 3 the greatest experience it should be.

Painful not because Suzuki is being greedy in any way (he's not) or because the Kickstarter campaign is in anyway deceptive (it's not) but painful because of just how incredibly hard Suzuki and we, his fans have to continuously and persistently work for Shenmue 3, even now. After all, an extra 10 million dollars is most likely a trivial request for any other recently announced 'heritage project' like FF7 Remake.

Painful because Suzuki's creativity is being forcibly stifiled by a now cold and unfeeling contemporary world of misleading, impersonal social media and conditional corporate agreements - all things that I at least, always thought Shenmue as a paradigm compelled its players to rise above and become better than. You know - always give your fellow human being the benefit of the doubt and do your best to help them out unconditionally in any appropriately capable capacity within your power.

It is as if I feel like I need to apologise to Mr. Suzuki - but for what reason(s) I know not. Shenmue fans were only mere children and adolescents when they played Shenmue 1 and 2 for the first time some fifteen years ago - and now, as many of us are foraying into the busy existence that is adulthood in our twenties and thirties, I guess it's impossible for us not to feel hurt by not being able to do more to make Shenmue 3 as grand a reality it can finally be.

And really, when you hear us Shenmue fans plead for a 10 million dollar Kickstarter goal, that's really what's reflected in the mirror - a generation of young adults working and trying desperately and painstakingly to make up for lost time and fulfill one passionate, collective dream of theirs that they did not think could ever come true in their lifetimes - the continuation of the Shenmue experience.

Our apologies, Mr. Suzuki. If we had the 10 million dollars to give unconditionally, we would have already done so. As for now, we want to and will continue to do whatever is in our collective power to continue supporting Shenmue 3 in whatever capacity we can. This, I can assure you is a promise we all made 14 years ago when we were nothing but young adolescents - and it is a promise we intend to keep forevermore.
by Wanderin'
Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter update #19: When Shenmue Got its Name

Mr.Yoshimoto really does a fantastic job in highlighting what must be the most powerful emotion that is driving the Shenmue revival right now for everyone, from himself, Suzuki, his staff, and all the fans: it's incredibly empowering and emotional for someone - anyone, really - to be given the opportunity to become again that younger, more energetic and optimistic version of one's self from 15 years ago for the explicit purpose of directly participating in the continuation of a project that is very dear to you.

After all, 14 years later since Shenmue 2's release, just so much has changed. Consequently, for Shenmue 3 to be announced now, we all can't but help ourselves from taking a small respite from whatever it is that concerns our current selves to become once again, those younger, more energetic and optimistic reflections of ourselves from 14 years ago, when we all dreamed that one day in the future maybe we'd all finally have the capacity to build meaningful and creative works just like - or possibly even grander than - Shenmue.

To be able to relive, and even continue towards fulfilling one's dreams even after those dreams appeared to be completely trampled upon by others for the longest time is suffice to say, not a chance opportunity that occurrs often. For those reasons, hopefully everyone involved - from Suzuki, his staff, and all the fans - take the opportunity to appreciate the very real meaning and beauty in these very moments as some of the best we've yet to be afforded.
by Wanderin'
Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Game Watch Japan Interview with Yu Suzuki @Gamescom 2017

Hmmm! Based off of the poorly translated Google translate of the interview page, the interviewer notes that the press trailer was two and a half minutes whereas the public teaser video is only about one and a half minutes...
by Wanderin'
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic