Search found 165 matches

Return

Re: Variations of the patch image on the front of Ryo's jack

No, I think that represents something. But what does a unicorn stamd for? I'll look this up.

I found this: " The Qilin is generally considered a symbol of happiness, peacefulness, justice, and the blessing of children."

from what i have found the chinese unicorn Qilin looks a lot different to the western unicorn. the unicorn on ryo's jacket looks more like a western unicorn.

Quilin
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab295/AsiaParanormal/Beast4.jpg

western black unicorn
http://www.allaboutunicorns.com/gallery/0024.jpg

found this
"The Four Sacred Beasts: The Chinese Unicorn

There is an ancient Chinese myth which explains the creation of the universe. In the beginning, the universe was merely an egg. Heaven and earth were not separate. The stars and the planets were one. But when the egg of the universe cracked, Chaos spilled out. Heaven and earth separated and the stars and planets split.

Into this chaos came P'an Ku, the first god/human. It took him 18,000 years to create the present universe and earth. He was assisted in this work of creation by the four most fortunate animals--the dragon, the phoenix, the tortoise and the unicorn. When P'an Ku's work was completed, he died. The dragon swan into the seas. The tortoise crawled into the swampy wetlands. The phoenix rose into the sky and flew to the open lands. The unicorn galloped into the green forests. These four sacred animals became the guardians of the hidden realms upon the earth and those places beyond, where their strength is undiminished by contact with humans."

4 compass directions
4 sacred beasts assisting P'an Ku, with the creation of the earth

'The unicorn galloped into the green forests.' - is Ryo a representation of the unicorn and when he reached Guilin he galloped in the green forest? its a stretch...

whole site about unicorns here if anyone is interested. i look through it more later.
http://www.allaboutunicorns.com
by johnvivant
Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

I really hope that at some point in the future Yu Suzuki gives an honest and open interview about the real state of Shenmue, and also many of the details about what happened behind the scenes that after all these years we have no idea about.

What really happened with Shenmue online and why was it ultimately cancelled?
Why did they decide to make an online mmo pc-only game instead of going straight onto making Shenmue 3?
Was Shenmue 3 ever in development? If so how much of the game was developed?
Have you really planned out the whole story?
Did you believe that you would be able complete the series on dreamcast?
Is it true that HD ports of the games were in development? if not then has sega ever mentioned the possibility to you?
What do you really feel about the north American exclusivity deal of Shenmue 2 on xbox? (I don’t think he liked it)
Did sega ever consider porting Shenmue 1+2 to the PS2?
If it is not possible to produce a game to conclude the story would you consider concluding the story via a book, comic or animation?

Where is all the Shenmue production materials used to make the games? Eg. The busts of the all the characters, the 1000’s of pieces of artwork that were produced, the unreleased game content like ‘The boat’, the saturn version? I’m hoping all this is somewhere safe.
If the games are not released will this content be made public at some point?

There are probably many more question I could come up with, but these ones come to me immediately.

I am sure Yu Suzuki has some great stuff to tell us, but he is holding it all back for fear of offending people at sega.

asking question about the story would be interesting but Yu clearly does no want to ruin the story for us in case the game ever does get released. i could understand him being unwilling to reveal story information but if its true that he was unable to do so because he forgot, that does seem strange.

ones starts to wonder how motivated Suzuki is to ever producing the final game?
by johnvivant
Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Mythology - My theories - China Joy 2006 CG analysis

edit - added more stuff....

Ok might as well dive right into this. There is a a lot of text here sorry. I am probably going to add to it later as well.

before going into the analysis some people have questioned whether the china joy video, or any of the shenmue online videos have any relevance to the future of the main series. in my opinion i think that most the cg, especially the bit with ryo rushing up to the roof of that building to rescue Joy from lan di is a fictional scenario designed to promote the idea of a 'Shenmue MMO'. but the bit with the dragon, pheonix, lan di and shenhua is definitly canonical with the main series. these events were even hinted at in the Project berkely cg (lan di hand movements, dragon flying through the sky, lightning ect.)

China joy video alalysis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=UUWfTTqZNNacHUZKyL5hoNCA&v=1ETjJvgUOso#t=465

it maybe useful to start with a brief analysis of the 'shenmue legend'.
This is central mythological narrative of Shenmue saga (well maybe at least for shenmue 1 to 3 ) I call it shenmue legend, but perhaps there is a better name for it if someone wants to suggest it.

The shenmue legend
This is the actual chinese text that appears on the scroll than pans across the screen in the china joy cg - time stamp - 7:45 and was translated by user odaryo.
Thread here, I bumped it just recently. There is some really amazing info in here that should be better known within the community. I didn’t know about until a few weeks ago.
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31394&start=15

The vein of the Dragon may cause a giant chaos.
(now by vein what I think it means is some kind of cave or sanctuary where the dragon dwells.)
edit- just did some research on the term 'dragon vein' - apparently in Chinese painting the term 'dragon vein' is used to describe the ridge of a mountain) so maybe the cave is in a mountain? really not sure what is meant here by vein of dragon. - although now i think of it didn't shenhua says there were dark/black mountains where people never came back..maybe this is mountain that contains the sanctuary where the dragon dwells...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yX8AXNZyqs - video detailing term 'dragon vein'

In the nature, the vein of the Dragon has been neutralized by a pair of mirrors: Dragon and Phoenix.

(some kind of barrier which maybe magical that seals the dragon within the sanctuary)

The Dragon mirror and the Phoenix mirror were sealed in the Dragon's cave.

(now this is interesting because obviously at some point they were removed and ended up in Iwaos possession – maybe whatever the events that occurred 20 years ago when Iwao and Zhu and Zhao were in china will explain this– this part of the story is still a huge mystery)

Hundreds of years ago(in the scroll it is "months", don't know if it is an error), an earthquake occurred, as if a signal for the dying dynasty.

(I also have ideas about the dynasties, but still working on them)

In order to obtain the Dragon's power, a demon entered the cave and stole the dragon's mirror.

(who is the demon? does it mean literal a supernatural demon, or maybe a very bad natured human being – have theories for this too )

The God Dragon awakes, bringing the earth and the nature (natural?) disasters.

(I assume that this is the dragon lan di takes control of – but its still not clear whether the dragon is separate to Chiyou. I personally think they are separate but its not clear. – got theories for this too)

Great earthquakes and giant floods stand for the ending of the dynasty.

This is giving a description of the primordial event when the dragon was disturbed – and its would seem that this event may have been repeating itself since time immemorial) - shenmue 3 is when its most likely to happen again - this event may have some kind of moral dimension as to why it keeps occuring - but I’ll get into this later)

The emperor asks three ancient masters for help to control the power of Phoenix.

(who were these ancient masters? If you look at the video time stamp 7:50 – I think the scrolls actually illustrates them. There are 2 old guys with beards and 1 bald guy all wearing Chinese clothing of old - huge sleeves etc. its difficult to make out the background, maybe they are sitting on a mountain with other mountains in the background? guilin maybe? better quality video would be useful. Could these be the ancestors of shenhua and Ryo? I assume that with each iteration of the 'calming of the dragon' event new masters emerge to undertake the task)

The legendary Phoenix comes down from the heaven and fights back the Dragon's attack.

(Time stamp 8:08 in video as seen in scrolls)

The Dragon's rage has been calmed down. The Dragon and The Phoenix go back to where they were from.

(Maybe this is time stamp - 12:03. beam of light being sucked back up into the clouds (dragon calmed) followed by another light absorbing into the phoenix pendant - phoenix returns)

The Dragon's mirror and the Phoenix's mirror have been sealed again. The peace is back.

(yes until the next disturbance of the dragon – the latest of which is due to occur in shenmue 3. )

--------------------

Magical objects/artefacts other than the mirrors.
shenhua seems to be controlling/ summoning the phoenix by use of a magical phoenix pendant/necklace go to - time stamp 9.49 - you can seen that its shaped like a phoenix, and she is clasping it when phoenix emerges.
Close up of pendant - time stamp 9:50.

a lot of emphasis is placed on this necklace since its emitting magical energy several times, and at the end it seems to be implied that either the dragon and/or the phoenix are absorbed back into the pendant - time stamp – 12:10

so we can add this to the list of known magical objects within shenmue
-sword of seven stars (must have greater purpose than just lighting up those huge mirrors)
-phoenix and dragon mirrors (from the shenmue legend we know that the purpose of the mirrors was to seal the dragon away prevent further destruction. Zhu also says the mirrors are a key to unlock the treasures of the qing dynasty, and master chen says that the mirrors somehow allow the resurrection of chi you. i've read people who say that all these uses of the mirrors means that we are recieving wrong or contradictory information from these sources, but i don't see why the mirrors cant do all these things.
-pheonix pendant (summoning and or controlling the phoenix)

- because the dragon lives in a 'vein' he might not need summoning.... hence there is no need for a dragon summoning pendant.
The destruction of a city

I’m still confused about what is actually happening here in the destruction of the city.

The first question is - what’s the city that is being destroyed? It looks like its in guilin, the mountains surrounding it are the same. Shenhua seems to be taken by surprise by this whole episode, - initially she is just playing with some butterflies. (this lends credence to my theory that what follows is a memory)

- also interesting to consider that shenhua's presence in guilin during these events could mean that Ryo leaves shenhua in guilin while he goes off to other parts of china to continue his quest...

So what is actually happening.
First of all clouds gather. Then a huge blanket washes over the landscape turning it brown rather than the lush green it was before. (is this just the destruction caused by the water?)

Shenmue legend says:
‘Great earthquakes and giant floods stand for the ending of the dynasty.’

So is this a blanket water washing over the landscape? It actually looks like its falling from the sky.

My theory:
This is not actually the present time of shenmue saga (1980’s), we are actually viewing the historical, mythological destruction of the city from the original awakening of the dragon (either 1600’s or pre 5000bc) - (this city does not look modern)
The blanket washing over the landscape is both a flood of water from the heavens, and also a time distortion transforming the landscape back to how it was then. (shenmue often uses brown colour to indicate age - eg flashbacks, and old scrolls)

When the time distortion reaches shenhua, she too is transformed into her ancestor – the historic person who also used the phoenix to calm the dragon.

this whole episode may be a memory of shenhua, or some kind of ability where shenhua can time travel to earlier periods by use her ancestors memories.

But what about lan di actually being there controlling the dragon with his hand movements?

It doesn’t actually look like lan di is there. All the background of his shots are blacked out. He is maybe in a completely different location controlling the dragon. maybe he is in present time 1980’s but has found a way of controlling the historic dragon (of old times)
- so he is controlling the events of the past, and its shenhua job to use her memory/time travel ability to make sure that the dragon is once again calmed.

Lightning hitting the city -time stamp 9:53

I am fairly sure this is coming from the dragon. we see that the dragon pulsates with electrical energy - time stamp 9:45 . This is a lightning/thunder dragon. it does seem a bit over kill, since the flood /earthquakes would already have done plenty of damage.

Dragon slithering snake-like though the air – time stamp 11:47 – gives me chills!

Are we viewing the destruction of just this city, or is this a kind of global Armageddon event that’s happening to the entire world?

bailu village ancient city - same location (theory)

bailu village is now located where this great city formerly stood. Shenhua mentioned the ruins of castle walls. The old nobles who were exiled by the emperor possessed great treasures (maybe the magical objects and or the Qing treasures)

so whats the Qing treasures

I think its probably a mixture of the magical artefacts used for all kinds of supernatural purposes and abilities.

And/or they could be certain magical martial arts techniques (that ryo is probably going to learn in order to defeat chinyoumen leaders + tentei. +maybe even chiyou)

now this is all a lot of speculation which may be wrong - but it certainly is fascinating to imagine would could be for the later games.

central shenmue legend if not a spoiler IMO
by the way i don't think the whole central legend is really that much of a spoiler. shenmue 3 could very well have opened with a telling of it, similarly to how its done in the china joy cg - time stamp - 7:46 - panning across the scrolls detailing it.
a lot more to come if you are interested...
by johnvivant
Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Say Hello to Mr. Yukawa at Takara Sushi!!

Now I'm at the day after Nozomi called Ryo out on the phone, it's past 11 and I go to the Yokosuka Bar with both figures of him but he isn't there... What's wrong here?
You can meet Mr. Yukawa in the bar on the next day after the "Nozomi's Confession" at the park. And, that will not happen on Disc one. Good luck!

the shenmue dojo youtube page does not have any footage of Yukawa at bar yokosuka, but another user called reignD has uploaded a video of him from the japanese version, this user see's yukawa while doing the 'meeting your friends at home' side quest.

if anyone is interested then here it is - go to 0:53 seconds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOFXkxuo1go
by johnvivant
Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenhua is a ghost

also in project berkely cg we see her get smacked around by lan di and then restrained by the 2 martial arts guys.

also didn't Suzuki in that kenji interview say that she is a real person with an ability to link with her ancestors memories.

really good theory though, if we didn't have this other information.
by johnvivant
Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is anyone else concerned that...

i think this game is going to be more comparable in size to shenmue 1 than 2. it will have that intimate feel again but just in a rural location. i love how every iteration has a different feel based on the environment. i'll trust suzuki with this.
by johnvivant
Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Never have been this footage before!

stuff i noticed

dudes on top of the crane at harbour (seen before)
beta lan di with low poly pony tail.
a shot with a ton of npcs on screen at once in dobuita (could dreamcast handle that?)
miki appears twice in same shot 1:39 lol
chai on crane at night, not in main game, at least we don't see him there
Iwao character model is different, looks younger
Ryo collects Zhu Yuanda letters from the mail box himself rather than than being given it by ine san. 4.49
beta yamanose
ryo's jacket rides up further and has some kind of crease folding, fabric movement effect
different forklift models
arcade very different, flat table machines. and plants
phone booth much smaller, narrower
locking onto and speaking to a woman on a balcony!
ryo has different stance in free battle, looks weird, leans forward, maybe there was a pose for when he gets tired in battle.
old terry qte chase (seen before)
beating up mark (seen before)
chai doesn't eat ticket!
VIEW MODE -move camera around during cinematics - cut from final game
buoys, nets in water at harbour
snow gathering at the edge of water itself

they probably couldn't use this footage for promotion since so many little things had changed by final release.
by johnvivant
Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: We should clear up the misunderstanding about Sony's fun

i think sony will support the game but the degree to which they will do so is dependent on how well the kick starter does.

the kick starter is SUPER SUPER important. negotiations with other funders is by no means complete, so if the kickstarter does super well it will give potential investors more confidence to commit further funding.
by johnvivant
Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best affordable display option?

i can highly recommend the retrobit vga box. I got mine from gameseek who are a very reputable company, i've bought many things from them without any problems.
here is the link:
http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/VideoGameszyfuz3kgpj/Dreamcast-Adapter-VGA-Box

your tv will need a vga port, i think its also know as dsub port, or you could use a pc monitor.

rgb scart is very good, and its whats i used for years until i bought vga.
vga is the ideal way to go.

if using vga you will also need a 3.5mm audio cable which you need to buy separately.
you will also need to own a vga cable itself.
by johnvivant
Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ways to Help the Kickstarter Campaign - Spread the Word

you need someway of directing the force of the entire community to take some specific action.
putting up a notice on the dojo front page might be good, but then again many people probably link straight to the forums and just skip the front page.

$30 on the 3rd is a good idea, but requires lots of people to participate in order to make an impact.
if we get all the big shenmue youtubers - like alpha omega sin, adam koralik, happy console gamer, scottish duck, Maximilian Dood, lord karnage (classic game room), and Game Sack - to make videos about 30 on the 3rd, thats bound to help.

the 3rd could be a huge push, then the last 2 days could be the final push. hopefully this will bring us a long way towards the 10 mill.

but then again we don't want to peak too early and ruin those last few days when hopefully there will be a huge influx in donations.

edit;

a definite date needs to be decided upon - i would suggest the 3rd - and we all just go for it (30 dollars that is, or whatever you want, but keep just a little bit more reserved for THE FINAL PUSH).

maybe we could even agree to a specific time of day thats convenient when we can all do it at once. if it crashes kickstarter -ALL THE BETTER - this will give shenmue even more publicity since its bound to be reported. it will be a good way to ignite interest again.
by johnvivant
Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INS

It would be a nice reward for the community if they could release a high quality video of the original shenmue premiere at some point during the campaign. The fans could even sub it if they don't want that work.

Its a well put together and informative video that would be good for general promotion of the series anyway.
by johnvivant
Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is Yu Suzuki married?

he has a daughter who is also his assistant, he mentioned her in a interview with eurogamer a few months back.
the polygon article also mentioned that there was an artwork on a wall which was drawn by his daughter.

his daughter's name is Nanami, who is 'learning English with his encouragement.'

http://www.polygon.com/a/life-in-japan/Yu-Suzuki-kitchen
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-22-out-ran-meeting-yu-suzuki
by johnvivant
Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why do you think Lan Di flew away?

It could have been that Zhu has information and or an ability that lan di needs in order to unlock Qin treasure, or free the Chiyou, or empower Tentei (or all of them), but after failing to capture zhu he goes to guilin because he knows of someone else who also has this information or ability (shenhua's father?).
by johnvivant
Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: About The Disaster I watched on Twitch …

i think at the moment we have to appreciate that they are doing all this on very little or no money, unlike the first games where there was a huge publisher behind it. And you never even saw these early stages of a project before development had even begun. This was probably filmed at their office, and most of the people were interns working for free.
i thought it was ok. its a shame they couldn't answer more questions.

but so much great news came out of it;
more tiers, Ryo watch!
Corey Marshall coming back!
re working Ryo's face (better, but still not perfect, they admit its still being worked on)
more game details
they are working to get a ps4 physical release!
by johnvivant
Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Some people just want to watch the world burn

i don't think these people believe that shenmue 3 is going to be made on a smaller budget by an indie studio, thats why they insist that sony is offering huge funding. this actually shows they have huge respect for the game, but unfortunately their disbelief is going to harm the kickstarter if they discourage people from pledging based on a wrong assumption.

I trust Yu Suzuki and his integrity when he says that the kickstarter is very important, that its the primary funding source, and the degree of its success profoundly influences the quality and scale of the game.

i'm glad you remained friendly, and in situations where people want to insist on a negative spin there is not much more we can do but move on and concentrate on projecting the right message elsewhere.
by johnvivant
Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: High Quality Shenmue Photos?

i think the only ones we have are ripped from the game. i remember seeing them in the dojo gallery. the shenmue 2 ones are lower resolution but apparently thats how they are in the game.
by johnvivant
Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The KS is a huge success and we shouldn't be discouraged

If paypal is added post kickstarter then the fan community can run its own campaign to cover any shortfall (i'm optimistic, but 10 mill is a big ask). this new campaign could coincide with the tweetathon every month and we could create a 'fund-o'-meter' telling us exactly how much is required to reach the 10 million. it might take a year or more - who knows - but its definitely possible for fans to generate the funds required to make the game what it deserves to be.
by johnvivant
Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1080p

Esppiral wrote: :mrgreen:

i wish the artwork from the kickstarter captured the imagery of shenmue as well as this does. well done.
by johnvivant
Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1080p

Esppiral wrote: Dreamcast version.

T_T

the zippo vendor lady is a bit out of place among all the main characters, but maybe her moment to shine will come in shenmue 3! :D
by johnvivant
Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #21: To the Sea and the Continent Bey

800 pieces over both games! i can't thank this man enough for creating so much great music. shenmue without the music would be unthinkable.
by johnvivant
Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $30 on the 3rd - PLAN OF ATTACK

7pm BST it is then. We'll know that the spike at this particular time is from the absolute Shenmue dedicated! (by that i mean dedicated enough to find out the specific time of donation, all contributions on the 3rd (or any other date or time) are HIGHLY HIGHLY APPRECIATED! :D )
by johnvivant
Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Kickstarter Just Hit $4 Million!

i've said it several times now, but i'll say it again,

Thank You to everyone participating! =D> =D>
by johnvivant
Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: My ugly face on a Lucky Hit board

NeoShredder wrote: I want the Shenmue Dojo logo on there.

shenmue 2 had those zippos with the 'Muecas' (japanese online fan community of the time) design on it. so the precedent already exists!
by johnvivant
Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!

i would love to see a photo of the higher tier dojo donator's all standing together wearing their replica Ryo Hazuki jackets! someone has got to organize that at some point. at least the dinner guys should do it.

the shenmue equivalent of Green U.S Masters winners jacket in golf.
by johnvivant
Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $20,000 pledge for the future of our Guilin school.

someone from a gaming publication or website should make an article about this. not only would it would be great PR for the campaign, it would raise publicity for both shenmue and the school.

and i really can't see Suzuki refusing your requests in regards to the type of NPC you become or of having your school mentioned in the credits.

i wouldn't be surprised if he actually offered you and your school a much more elaborate cameo! (a little school house in Bailu village or something)

yu suzuki visiting your school is also great. heck, someone could produce a really good documentary about this and film the whole thing.
by johnvivant
Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Poll] More physical PS4 version bundles ?

so do the $100+ tiers still get access to the pc trial version even if they the choose the ps4 physical copy?
by johnvivant
Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NeoGAF Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Topic revamped

i never frequent the gaf, but i hear that the shenmue community there is strong and enthusiastic. the topic page looks great zimming, well done. and thanks to all you 'Gaffers' for the shenmue support!

edit; someone on the gaf has this gif on their signature

https://d.maxfile.ro/hoagebsjfc.gif

i've never had sam and larry do that double team move on me before. (too busy beating them senseless!)
by johnvivant
Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Serious proposal: #30to3point6 - 1/10th of backers donat

i'm a strong believer in a post Kickstarter funding campaign that would coincide with the tweetathon every 3rd of month. the only problem i see if that specifying a particular amount might seem a bit greedy even though when you think about it, the amount is actually fairly modest.

idea rewards;
maybe if Suzuki could provide a modest reward for donating like a badge or sticker i think people would be more willing to accept the $30 suggestion.
30 dollars could be the minimum to get a sticker which would be the 'bronze level' as it were, but higher donations will be rewarded with a silver or gold sticker. (they could use the bronze, silver and gold medal designs from shenmue 2)
http://i.imgur.com/VqmvbMr.jpg

they could provide a different badge or sticker depending on the amount you donate, the design of which would change each month. this would create a incentive for people to donate each month so as to complete their sticker/badge collection.

the designs could be character art, or fan art, with annotations like "You have Ryo's thanks" or something like that.
by johnvivant
Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Lucky Hit Photo Award is now much better value

someone already made the suggestion that the stands with the backers faces could be in a hidden location, and would work out to be an easter egg (like the dural room, or hang-on room). this way it will have less of negative 'intrusive' impact on the game.

i have to admit initially i was not to enthusiastic about the idea, but for the good of funding the campaign i decided not to express my reservations. if it was done in the way i suggested above i wouldn't have any problem with it. the idea of them being on every other board though and in the main areas of the game does worry me.

maybe others backers are having similar reservations, along with the value concerns and thats why they are not shifting.

i also suggested that the game artists could dress them up in chinese clothing or something.
by johnvivant
Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter:Final value and overall success assessment

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/07/06/shenmue-3-now-among-kickstarters-top-10-successes?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

lots of new shenmue articles appearing thanks to the brothers charity school and shenmue's new status as a top 10 most funded kickstarter. hope this helps keep up the pledge momentum.
by johnvivant
Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III is KS project of the day

i wish they'd use the dojo twitter banner image (see my sig below) to advertise it on the front page rather than 'that' one.
by johnvivant
Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: We have time: Let's all commit to & promote a 7/15 spike

we should have a 3 day long Mega tweetathon 15th-18th with lets plays, fan art, funny tweets, youtube videos, 'why i love shenmue' testimonials etc.

call it:
'The Final Push: Make your dreams come true!'
by johnvivant
Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: We have time: Let's all commit to & promote a 7/15 spike

maybe we should start tweeting her. get shenmue 500k to help.

she has 2.5 millions followers.
by johnvivant
Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Final Blow - LAST CHANCE FOR SHENMUE 3

Anonymous81 wrote: Can anyone upload the Final Blow campaign image to photobucket or somewhere else and link to it here? The "show" button in the first post isn't working for me, and no image is showing up. Thanks muchly!

try this link
http://www.30onthe3rd.com/images/tfb_logo.jpg
by johnvivant
Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sorry guys, I've been at work and haven't had a chance to do anything with the image. I don't think I'm going to put the actual time the Kickstarter ends on the graphic because it would get too busy putting all the time zones. I think I'll just put the last three dates of the Kickstarter. And then I'll try to set up 30onthe3rd.com/finalblow

maybe just put the kickstarter end date of the different times zones on the website, and on the first page of this topic.
by johnvivant
Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: #TheFinalBlow - LAST CHANCE FOR SHENMUE 3

i love the addition of the wude 'Yi - To act without hesitation, to do what is right'. it fits really well.

fantastic, well done sonoshee.
by johnvivant
Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

i just sent a tweet to Game Sack and asked whether they could create a shout-out video for the shenmue kickstarter before it ends.

https://twitter.com/john_vivant/status/ ... 9383540737

feel free to retweet mine or create your own. worth a shot.
by johnvivant
Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Retroberra is working on new version of 'The Final Blow' promo video but this time with HQ video provided by Bluemue. He is going to upload a version of it here soon, so if anyone has a suggestions or constructive feedback please advise him.

Hopefully the video can get some heavy circulation as we go into the final few days of the campaign.

here is one of his latest versions (non-HD); if any has any ideas, suggestions or corrections for the video please send a personal message to him. his user name is 'Retroberra';
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srCg_K3fPmE
by johnvivant
Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Concept Art Thread (Updated 13/07, Unknown Male)

somebody mentioned this in the other thread, but he has the same vibe as Zongquan from shenmue 2 - the guy with the crazy hat/hair you meet in the shopping mall.

but obviously its not him.
by johnvivant
Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

please start sharing and tweeting about the #TheFinalBlow guys.

here is my tweet;
https://twitter.com/john_vivant/status/620540596961329152

create your own or or feel free to retweet mine.
be sure to share the inspirational #TheFinalBlow promotional video by Retroberra:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adna12C-C4Y

it would be nice to get this video in heavy circulation on social media, especially between 15-17th.

also share Team Yu's event 'Quick Timed Event'
link here; http://teamyu.net/Shenmue.III?action=qte

thank you.
by johnvivant
Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #36: New Trailer & NPC Reward Added

Love Ryo's new face, the scene is great.

I think this is actually a whole new scene from shenmue 3 because shenhua never summons the fireflies from the lake in shenmue 2 - they just pass through. i think people are thinking of the dandelion field, when she uses her magic to levitate the seeds.

in the shenmue online china joy cg there is a similar scene to this one where she is at the lake 'interacting' with the fireflies at night, and also singing - although Ryo is no where is sight.

I really like this trailer, and especially Ryo's new face. its amazing what can be achieved with so little money in so short a time. this gives me confidence in the quality of the final game.

https://youtu.be/1ETjJvgUOso?t=10m51s
by johnvivant
Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryo's new clothes

Ryo is going to transition into one bad ass kung fu dude, so new clothes seem appropriate. also the more time spent in china living in the those villages and getting to know the locales, the jeans ect are going to feel increasingly out of place.

if we return to exploring bigger cities in shenmue 4 maybe the jeans jacket etc will make a fond and welcome return.
by johnvivant
Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Thief wrote:

Does anybody know the name of the track used in this video?

'christmas on dobuita street', its on the official soundtrack track 5, disc 1 i think.

[*]
edit;
lol well done bluemue
by johnvivant
Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Two added stretch goals

as a precaution put your main 'large pledge' on one card, and all your smaller pledges on another.
contact your bank/credit card company and advise that a number of small payments from a foreign company with coming out on: this date.

i believe that we if they are declined kickstarter has some system for trying again. does anyone know anything about that?

I checked the FAQ a couple of days ago and if there's issues taking payment they contact you via e-mail and give you 7 days to re-enter your payment. But it's not so much the bank declining the payment that worries me, I am worried Kickstarter might just cancel the pledge if the same card is detected on multiple accounts, some websites don't like that such as Amazon for example.

somebody (user was James Brown) asked kickstarter and they replied back that it would be fine.
send him a pm, i'm sure he'll give your more info.
by johnvivant
Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Concept Art Thread (Update 15th July: Jail!)

NeoShredder wrote:
BUT it's slippery as hell...on rocks....QTE?

fail and its free battle time.
by johnvivant
Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic