Search found 53 matches

Return

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

EDIT: After posting this I just read OL's news. Congratulations man!

I'm really excited. I've been back and forth with what I want to do in college but I always come back to one thing. I keep finding excuses for why I shouldn't but now I've decided to do what I love. So, I'm now officially a music theory and composition major with my instrument piano and a minor in guitar. Really excited for the future but I've got my work cut out for me. I must prepare to not have a social life at all for a while, haha.

I can relate to those journeys in music. I studied for some years, played for some years, and then recently went into this hibernation process- that you will soon hear referred to as the ozarks, about 3 years ago. It has benefits. It's hard to discipline yourself like that and stay sane. But I remember awhile back going to play at a club where there was this trumpet player who was about my age playing there. And he also had the same name as me. He acted so much older and I wondered why. Then when the session started, he blew us all away. I couldn't help but approach him afterwards to ask him for tips- expecting to hear a flowery story of success. To my surprise, he gave me a speech about his failures and how he spent years in seclusion and schooling forsaking any secular activities to reach his goal. It sounded depressing to hear and made me want to forget reaching for that level. Then when I gave it a try, it wasn't that grim at all and is more of a personal journey that's actually uplifting.
by Jokatech19
Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

THELONIOUS MONK: STRAIGHT NO CHASER. Omg I miss the times of greats.
by Jokatech19
Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

really good day. at 27 and married, I don't find alot of time to game and stuff at all, and I managed to play Lost Odyssey, Dissidia, and Fight Night rd 4, for substantial hours each today. lol and get studying and music practice done.
by Jokatech19
Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My website is finally functional enough. Free music classes, music tracks, literature and other updates on there. I'm trying to get forums going. Jokatech.webs.com
by Jokatech19
Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

PSN request

I have a request to make. If there are still any game developers and producers here, some time ago I made a proposition of getting together to make either an original Shenmue-like game or a spin off continuation. As a musician, I offered to do the soundtrack. We discussed how it would be good to put on the PSN for download. I'm not sure how it all works, but I'd like to try that. I've noticed increasingly good titles as PSP mini downloads. The best of them occupying only 80 or 90 MB's. Since the limit is about 150MB for mini titles, I'd like to see how nice of a game we can churn out.
by Jokatech19
Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

Happy Console Gamer is my favorite show by far right now. I love the energy and love he has for gaming. It gets me fired up again when I thought that was impossible. It seems like his show has kind of fallen flat though which is sad. There are a bunch of games I wanted to review and talk about on my show, but I'd rather suggest that for him to do, because he does such a good job of production and research. I've just been too lazy and busy to drop him a message. I hope someone else does. LOL
by Jokatech19
Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In reference to the comment made earlier, I try to come here and get lively discussion going ,and I, for one just seem to hit brick walls and get ignored and posted over as if I'm a nuisance for breaking up inane banter. I'd like someone to start a topic on the good old days as in 10 years ago. I really would like to discuss all that has changed- it's been alot .
by Jokatech19
Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What Once Was

This is a piece of the blog I just posted on my site. Feel free to share your thoughts on anything over 5 year ago, game, music, art, movies, shows, etc. Actually I'm getting ideas just typing this. LOL. I've been watching "Happy Console Gamer" alot on Youtube and he really gets me fired up. I really would like to add some episodes like his to my youtube show, but I'm so tired and lazy lately and just never make any more episodes. Probably going to cancel it soon.

It's hard to believe that I grew up with the same Pokemon that tiny kids are addicted to today. That fact alone is pretty precious and amazing. Gamecube came out shortly before I graduated as well as Xbox and we got to enjoy what was a very fresh age of new gen games and concepts. I will say that the Xbox 360 did a good job in it's life of extending some nuances of that great gaming era into the last few recent years. One amazing thought that I realize is the there was no Myspace, Youtube, Facebook, or any social networking at all when I was in school. That is amazing! It prevades every crevice of life now. Just try to imagine turning on your computer right now and not having those. In fact, we didn't even surf the web nearly as much back then, due to the fact that it wasn't the lounge it is today.

One of my favorite web bloggers did a video where he mentioned that back when we used to collect GamePro and the other elite magazines, there was no Google where you could search everything about the game up. You relied on the mags to get sneak footage of upcoming game. I can remember that so well. I really miss when we would get together over a strategy guide of say, Super Metroid, and decipher how to tackle the game. Or when we were in deep discussion over being stuck in Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and for weeks we would battle with that and actually take breaks to go outside. That life has virtually no meaning now and I miss it. I must say that I appreciate the innovations that have brought such classics to things as simple as your phone or tablet. That is cool. But I would pay anything, to go back in time to the late 90's when Dreamcast was in bloom and SNES, PS1, Saturn, Genesis, etc were all at the height of their powers. There just isn't any time quite like it.
by Jokatech19
Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What are you currently playing?

^Am I the only fan of Jade Empire around these parts?

Me and my friends were enormous fans when it came out. We loved the attention to martial arts as MMA's ourselves. It was so well done I even remember some of Sagacious Zhu's quotes..... "Strength is the way of things, and death is the end. Or at least it should be. Some have enough of one to defy the other."
by Jokatech19
Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Anime are you watching right now?

http://fraunhofer.rtk.gen.tr/meta/9/13160.jpg
OMG! This is not only amazing. Hands down the best anime movie ever in my opinion. It adds so much to the already deep story and makes you appreciate the history behind it all. This series altogether has become a serious contender for my favorite. wow..
by Jokatech19
Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

Is this site committing suicide? It's weird because we're encouraged to post new threads and ideas, but that's alittle difficult to do when you feel like you're being ignored due to people constantly moving on to other topics. This format or something has to be changed.
by Jokatech19
Sun May 19, 2013 4:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: General Anime Discussion

Captain Tylor is a really great anime. I remember watching it back in high school, one of my friends let me borrow his DVD collection of it. You dont hear about it much, tylor is a big goof, but its a really awesome sci-fi anime. I probably wouldnt mind watching that one again. Just make sure you get the series and OVAs.
Can thank Happy Console Gamer. So far I am liking it and finished disc one. I was looking for an old school anime and this hit the spot.

I finished Captain Tylor 3 times. I loved the soundtrack like crazy. I regret giving it to my friend. Happy Console Gamer is the Man btw!!!
by Jokatech19
Fri May 24, 2013 7:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

I'm gonna go back and beat Flashback: The Quest for Identity for the SNES.
by Jokatech19
Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I just beat Mass Effect 3 last night..... wow. I am unworthy to write a review. I must say however, that the box series of Mass Effect 1,2, and 3, which I have, feels like one big, amazing game.
by Jokatech19
Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm trying to find someone who has played Armored Core: Last Raven. Apparently the developers thought it would be amusing to give no sound directions in a game that should require a Master's Degree.

I'm a huge AC fan, but I haven't played through all of the games yet.
Even so, I have heard that Last Raven, in particular, is hard as fuck if you don't have an AC already built and ready to transfer over from the earlier games (AC3, Silent Line, Nexus, or Nine Breaker), so don't feel too bad if it's proving difficult. It's one of those where the devs expect that you've played everything before. Armored Core is funny like that.

LOL. Thanx. Sorry for the late response. It's sad, but I felt a huge sense of accomplishment when I got my mech strong enough to beat the generic test mech and the first available arena opponent. And each fight took me about 15 minutes.
by Jokatech19
Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What Happened to Art? (Not just about Art)

I was encouraged by a member recently to post again, so I'm just beginning with this topic. I've had several hundred things on my mind lately, but have been more introverted as of late. Among them is what I perceive to be the state of Society and sociology.

I've noticed that appreciation for art has waned greatly among society as a whole over the last decade, and I do have a theory or 2 as to why. I remember when cellphone ringtones were the craze, and everyone had a personalized one, mixing together their favorite songs. Today, you'll notice that virtually no one bothers with that, but rather is sufficient with a generic ringtone that is ultra-annoying to the ears. Whenever asked, in general, people seem to really have no preference in music altogether, or taste at all- just what they believe to be their favorite artist. They usually can't tell you why, on a musical level they like the artist they do. It's usually something unrelated to art at all. Movies and video games seem to have lost a huge amount of drive, and if there is any discussion about a film or game, it's about something generic that has been done endless times.

When I look at combat sports, they seem to have reverted back to gladiator days, with the absence of scientists. Wild sluggers are praised as greats, and the last few artists remaining get no praise.

I think that the world we live in has gotten extremely lazy. People aren't inclined to work or think, nor do they expect much from those who entertain. Less becoming more has taken a bad turn. At work, a coworker of mine was talking about making a hit song in hopes of getting fame. I told him that it isn't the same it was 10 years ago. It used to be possible to make a hit. Now there are more politics in art than art itself. People have become so out of tune with everything, they wouldn't know what good art would look or sound like. What do you think?
by Jokatech19
Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Happened to Art? (Not just about Art)

Thanks for all the varied opinions everyone. That's what this thread is about. Mue nice comment. Very in depth and informative. I don't think I agree with Marsalis' theory exactly. Although I'm not entirely sure what it is, although, like him I come from a classical background. However, I will say that the responses here are what I generally expected. When it comes to art, I find it's proportional to standards to a degree. In the majority of mankind's eyes, today's standards, as debased as they clearly are- or so one would think, are even higher than they've ever been. The same line of reasoning tends to creep into thinking that art is progressive today and we are "moving forward." I don't deny that there are artists out there doing new and progressive things with art today- I'm one of them. The difference today is that such artists no longer control the wave. They have become the suppressed minority that everyone else abuses, yet feeds off of. When the mainstream is tapped, it's today's few actual artists that are sampled or used. When we look at rap, I laugh at the thought that it's going someplace. I've been in that industry and watched the fall. The 1 or 2 actual great artists out today aren't from today. You can cling to Kendrick Lamar as some new savior, but the truth is the only thing their lyrics today contain is vulgarity and basic word play. To even compare the content to the standard of the 90's is crazy flat out. This is about what is mainstream- as art no longer is.

It's like boxing. Floyd Mayweather may be the last pure boxer of our time. Everyone hates him now and can't wait until he's gone. But his replacement will be the likes of a Canelo and an Adrien Broner. All of these fighters, are at best, poor man versions of him. But in the name of progress, you'll all say they're just as great. Today's peak artist just gets really good at the basics and then plateaus, because that's all that's expected of them. They've lost the ability to add to that- flavor. If I gave you a master composition right now in 2013, you wouldn't know what to do with it, and you'd scrap it and call the latest 1-chord 2-step superior. It's not a matter of perspective. It's a matter of denial. I'm not a dinosaur who will tell you that everything from back in the day was great- there was crap then. I'm a realist who is one of the few not afraid to admit that the standard has dropped. In school, I made a major of dissecting art. I would always sit with my favorite teacher and read a poet's work. We would explore the psyche of a writer in that moment he wrote. And more so, we would see how heavy his words are and how heavy they will be. If you even attempt to look what you think to be greatness flowing out today, under that light, you will quickly stop yourself short and catch what I've been saying. We live in a world that has just about killed individual thought. That's one of art's key components. In art, you express what you are. If you are glass, you merely reflect. Today everyone looks to their left and right to decide how they feel about something. When you hear hit's today, most times is directly robbed or inspired from a previous classic. Not that ideas have vanished. People just don't bother getting them. I'm not stuck on rappers of an era, I'm stuck on high art. I like art that lasts and will reveal new things to me as the years go on. And if someone comes along that has that spark, the industry today tends to kill it- in the name of progress.
by Jokatech19
Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

it feels good to be working on a new music project. Hopefully my computer holds up through this process. At least until I get the finished drafts to my Mixer/master technician in France. BTW, I remember discussing doing a homebrew type game as a dojo project with a few talented people on this site, whatever happened to those plans. I was going to do the soundtrack.
by Jokatech19
Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CD Creation Question

mue 26 wrote: This sounds mental. I have to cop this album when it drops, Joka.

Definitely Bro. It'll be free. Just give me a location to mail it and I'll gladly send you a copy. Hopefully, it'll be done early next year. Possibly sooner, if my impatience gets the better of me. LOl
by Jokatech19
Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hilarious! I just opened a computer console at the end of a stage in Deus Ex, and the NPC received one of those Nigerian emails asking to transfer money to your account. I remember those. I got a couple years back, and I can't believe some people actually fell for it. That was unexpected, but funny.
by Jokatech19
Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

I bought 2 games last week:

They have become all I play. LOVE EM!!!
by Jokatech19
Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Trends

Every time I notice something, I have to wait 5-10 years before everyone goes from calling me stupid and insulting me, to saying I was right. It's hard getting used to that without killing people. However, I think that systems like the PSP Go are an example of delayed reaction. When it came out, many insecure and inane idiots bashed it, due to the love of hording physical games in rooms filled to the ceiling. While the collector in me still enjoys doing that, I also see the perks to this generation. We live in the generation of apps, and downloadable software. Yet, most consoles released, still; for monetary purposes, depend on physical games. With home consoles I expect that to a degree. The Vita, however, and other current gen handhelds, don't really do the times justice.

As old as the PSP Go is, I have one, with between 60-70 games on it along with my 2 other memory sticks, which I slide into the case that holds my system. Everything folds up, and the crisp screen with very good definition, fits right into my pocket, even when I'm wearing a suit. Yet, with all of this innovation, it was hated. Why? Because it made too much sense at the time. Now, we are in a tablet age, where everyone with a tablet, phone, or any portable device, automatically lives under the prerequisite that all media must be accessible when we want. Yet, people have Wii U, and Vita's, and as much as they complain, they persist in supporting them. With one of these consoles, you can carry only a couple of games from your library at a time with you, and run the risk of software damage just like the generation before last. It's retrogression. Yet, it won't be until 5 years from now, that they scramble to make Go versions of the current gen handhelds, realizing their worth.
by Jokatech19
Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I just went to my anniversary dinner to a creole/Cajun concert at a nearby jazz restaurant. Amazing music. As I began getting inspiration for a new song to put on the CD, I realized- I have way too much material. I actually have to take a break and stifle writing anymore music for a while- at least until I establish this record.
by Jokatech19
Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

programming is so fun, when it isn't going horribly wrong. It really makes you appreciate every little game out there. So much work goes into the simplest of games.
by Jokatech19
Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Finally up for air. I just finished my projects! Yes! And to top it off, I'm in the Fantasy Football championship game.
by Jokatech19
Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's always dangerous to pick up a game and play it after too long. I was a beast in Tekken after years of training with Hworang ( who by the way, I would not recommend to anyone as a main). I started playing Tekken 6 again today, assuming I could pick up where Ieft off. The game is ridiculously difficult. I ruined my win percentage, because Tekken 5 and Tekken 6 record every win or loss.
by Jokatech19
Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Turns out I may be getting a Vita after all. I won't jump the gun until things play out.
by Jokatech19
Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Deus Ex - Human Revolution
http://psotter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/DeusExWallpaper6.jpg
I'm sure this game has been played and reviewed, but it had such an impact on me, I had to review it. This is what games are supposed to be. This is the first time in a long time that I felt like a giddy teenager wanting to run and tell people about the game and the ending. Before I praise the game, I have to say my one gripe with this game- it also was my gripe with another great square enix game of recent history: "Nier." The profanity is over the top in these games and doesn't have to be. They cram curses into wherever they can. I know I'm part of the huge minority in this stance here in debauched 2014. Profanity is treated like a fine wine these days, where it's an insult to not use it. To each his own.

Anyway, upon starting the game, I felt like it might be an awkward shooter pretending to be an RPG. I also didn't really like the first person aspect at first. Those turn-offs usually keep me from purchasing the game. But the clerk at the Gamestop where I bought it ( who was actually a knowledgeable gamer) swore that I wouldn't regret the purchase. The price was cheap so I bought it.

The shooter aspects are well executed like Mass Effect. They aren't overbearing. The story and side quests are very deep and pull you in. The side quests tie in so well, you feel compelled to complete them. Before I knew it, I was dozens of hours into the game upgrading my character and trailing off on my own missions. Your character is something called an augment in the game- similar to a cyborg. The public screams for regulation thinking the military is using this technology to suppress them. Therefore, as the protagonist, you are hated by most. The funny thing is, in the beginning, you are incredibly vulnerable and weak. The slightest jumps and gunfire obliterate you. That was frustrating, but as you hang with it, after a while you are actually augmented. I loved causing havoc when I got strong. I love how the game takes note of your actions. I needed some files from the police station and a former friend turned his back on me. Also the police chief who I had dirt on, refused to bend. So after going through the sewers and getting in the back way, I blasted through the whole station, which would have been impossible before I got stronger. The next time I came to town, it was in the papers that an unidentified gunman took out almost the entire police squad for Detroit.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/detail-page/B002I0JA7E_1_lg.jpg
In this game, stealth is not easy. You can't just recover after a mistake all the time. Part of what causes this is that your objective can be unclear, and in the middle of a heavily patrolled area. I found myself having to step up and find a way to take out an entire area of heavily armed troops to progress. I didn't like that too much. And that got exceedingly hard towards the end of the game, when troops had cloaking shields and augmentation, along with skin fiber shielding that made them ridiculously armored. At first I thought it was a glitch, but you have to move a lot and methodically take out some of the later units, because they will have several big guys with heavy machine guns that can take 7-8 shots to the face from a sniper rifle with ease. The game didn't have many bosses. In fact there are only about 4 or so. And 2 of them are the same person. This still fits, because there are a lot of covert assignments.

Scattered around the game are ebooks which contain excerpts and articles on nanotechnology. It's very thought out and intriguing. It has such an interactive environment, it felt very rewarding to sneak into abandoned apartments and find ebooks and hack computers to find emails that contained funny and very informative material. It's like a living breathing city. Conversations between NPC's are long, and involving. TV's play news shows. Store merchants and locals will react to what is going on. It was a great experience.
http://www.gogaminggiant.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-hd-wallpaper-03.jpg
The ending was beautiful, and tied in the very real theme of how self destructive mankind can be. I won't spoil, but I love games like this. That's something that also drew me to Metal Gear Solid. When games have a purpose like that, to me that's something that makes it true art. The protagonist's soliloquy and the visuals in the ending had me speechless and almost in tears. Even during the credits, you can see the photos that the team took along the journey of making this game and the chemistry that they all had. It makes you appreciate everything even more. I have to give this game...

10/10
by Jokatech19
Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

NINJA BLADE

http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/ninja-blade.jpg

I played Ninja Gaiden as a child and remember how well the game aged over the years. It had interestingly designed snow levels and bosses. It was also difficult, which in my opinion can immortalize a game, which is why it is so important. Years later, I observed a friend purchase Ninja Gaiden for Xbox with caution. I thought they might ruin the game, so after he beat it and showed me the amazing graphics, I still was skeptical. I eventually broke down and bought NG for the Xbox. To my surprise, the game was intact with its roots and very martial arts oriented. I loved the combat and the levels were well done. I felt accomplished after beating it and went on to beat part 2 for the Xbox 360.
http://wizzywizzyweb.gmgcdn.com/media/products/ninja-blade/screenshots/large-4-640x350.jpg

Then after beating 2, I saw Ninja Blade on the shelf for a very cheap price. I kept hearing about the Ninja Gaiden clone that it was and felt that it could be a good thing. I purchased it and found that to be somewhat true. It is like NG, but it is more streamlined and has additional elements.
http://www4.pcmag.com/media/images/205314-ninja-blade-hints.jpg

One of the first things that will stand out to you is the fact that it is loaded with QTE's. Some people hate this, but I think it helps give an interactive feel to the cinematic heavy experience. Also the QTE's are very well integrated into the combat so they don't feel like add-ons. Another thing that you will notice right away is the fact that the level are like huge movies. There is no saving in between. You better just have the hour it may take to clear the level, because you only save in between them. I didn't mind this that much, because the level were so epic, you really don't feel like playing more than 1 at a time. The story in this game is very convoluted. The city and world are slowly being overcome by parasites that infest people and turn them into monsters. The hero's father is soon found to be infected. The first level is like a huge movie where the hero is almost killed. The story is not explained well, yet the game almost tries to flaunt its depth which is stupid.

http://www1.pcmag.com/media/images/205311-ninja-blade-large-enemies.jpg

The boss battles are huge and can be very frustrating. One particular boss you fight a couple of times, and I dreaded facing him. The levels are sometimes straight forward, and sometimes call for you to back track with no real clues. The weapon system is simple. You have 3 main weapons, different distances and strengths. You upgrade them. You have 3 ninjutsu spells that you also spend points upgrading. The game isn't really super deep like NG. You can customize your look which I love, with clothing, emblems, etc that you find throughout the levels.

In the end, the game is a very well done clone. It has its own style. It's difficult simplicity with a lot of style. The difficulty rounds the game off and helps keep it from being somewhat mediocre. It's all about gameplay with this one. The ending tried to tie up loose ends that it never even properly developed. The poor story telling kept me from being gripped by the game. Thankfully, the fun gameplay, cool customization, graphics and difficulty saved the day.

7.9/10
by Jokatech19
Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm trying to get people to follow my music on SoundCloud. Not sure the best way to go about it. If you can, and are into music, follow me- Jokatech on SoundCloud and if you like the stuff let people know. Thanx
by Jokatech19
Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: General Anime Discussion

I just finished watching episode 84 of Rurouni Kenshin. What I always loved about this show is the historical practicality and social undertones. This particular episode got me to thinking about how society has tended to degenerate over time. It's sad, but in the episode, the leader of a ninja group puts Japan in a vulnerable position allowing foreigners to dominate them, in hopes of getting power for herself. That simplistic and backwards thinking is something that plagues a lot of cultures and societies around the world. Countries ripe with resources will allow foreign powers to rape them in hope of a little money and power that lasts for just a generation. Because of greed, the United States is actually doing worse than in the past. In the days of less medical technology, healthcare and the economy were doing better, which makes no sense.
by Jokatech19
Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Today is finally the pre-release of my album- "Those Silent." Soon it'll be on ITunes after I iron it out. I like the CD, but had this urge to cram a lot of new ideas on it towards the end. I started listening to so much new music and have a lot of inspiration now.
by Jokatech19
Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

OL wrote: Cool. What name do you go by on there? I typed in Turning Point and came up with a ton of stuff...

You can use Jason K. Addae and it should work. The title has to be typed - The Turning Point.
by Jokatech19
Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I just downloaded Wolf Fang, an old Data East game. I'm really getting into digging into old, and challenging classics, after all of these discussions I have with my friend reminiscing about the golden age.
by Jokatech19
Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm going to review The Red Star when I beat it.
by Jokatech19
Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What are you currently playing?

I'm trudging my way through The Red Star on PSP right now. It is one of those historically hard games. It has received very little attention. The only things I find are isolated little threads of lore speaking of how certain bosses are unbeatable and the few who have braved the game are stuck. I feel like it's 1995 all over again, and there are no walkthroughs or strategies for the game I'm playing. It's this unknown beast, that I plan on being the first to write reviews and guides on. Kind of cool.
by Jokatech19
Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm on the last stage...Pray for me.
by Jokatech19
Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

THE RED STAR
http://www.vgblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/02/TheRedStar.jpg

Wow. Where do I begin? This is the biggest review I ever wrote. This is such an unknown and uncovered game, that a review and analysis are needed. This game came out in 2007 if I'm not mistaken. Originally it was on the PS2, but then transferred over to the PSP after some time. When I downloaded it, it was as part of the reparations package for those of us who got our accounts hacked in the big PSN scam. I really didn't expect that much, but upon seeing the premise of the game, I was somewhat attracted to it. The graphics are good-looking and the game has a nice mixture of RPG, Shooter, Beat-em-up elements. It's like Killzone meets Samurai warriors. Usually, games that combine such an array of characteristics tend to damper them down and be underwhelming, but the combo system, as well as the upgrade system and shooting mechanics are great.
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/795/795065/the-red-star-20070607051201291.jpg

Originally, I was going to fill this review with a profanity laced rant to start off, but I've calmed down now. You see, this game's lasting quality is that I can honestly say, it is the hardest game of all time. Somewhere, I swear, a little vessel of evil shattered when I conquered the last boss. This game's difficulty is so historic, it makes the plot feel important. The game is about some Neo-Soviet Government in the future. you are part of a militia set to take down the evil Troika who is a cyborg, and his robot army. The enemies are very varied, and require the full use of your arsenal. You have a blade and 3 guns- a machine gun, flame thrower, and rocket launcher. They can all be upgraded with points you receive at the end of each mission based on your performance. You get a pop us icon that gives you a strategy page, if you choose, that explains how to tackle key enemies you approach in a stage. You will need it. They even give it to you if it’s been a while since you faced the enemy, and it is much needed. The action on the stages is melee combat with top down shooting which is like a hectic space shooter in it’s mechanics. The shooter portions rival Gunbird 2 on max difficulty after a while. There are even a couple of space shooter stages when you are inside of a ship taking out a tank. That was actually a reasonable stage. Old school gamers appreciate legendary boss battles, and will not be disappointed with this game. The bosses are huge and tough. Some have extra forms.
http://www.shirinian.net/redstar/t1.jpg

That’s all I’ll get into as far as the setup. The major thing is the difficulty. Most games are designed to challenged your reflexes and endurance. However, this game adds the twist of making you change the way your brain is wired. In even the most difficult shmups, you have to learn patterns and strategize accordingly. In this game, the bosses and enemies are so frantic and insane, you learn methodologies not patterns. You have a shield that overloads after 1 or 2 hits. Your guns overheat if fired for too long. Enemies alter their patterns and strategies, so there is no safe zone, or pattern to memorize. You will find yourself in boss fights where you have to see the entire route you must maneuver in split seconds. It’s not reasonable in the slightest. I didn’t see the difficulty taking a real turn until around level’s 12 to 14. That’s when I began to look online and see that there were no codes or guides. The only video is of some autistic kid ripping through the stages like a maniac untouched. You can’t call that a strategy for a human to follow. I saw some legends whispered quietly on message boards about how the game is unbeatable. The only 1 or 2 people who did beat it used 2 players on PS2 and no one has used the male character. The girl in the game has a dash, excellent guns, and quick speed and combos made for the game. The guy has none of that.
http://img.news.zing.vn/img/5/t5353.jpg

I felt like I was screwed and I just played a broken game. I was close to giving up, but decided to grit down and continue. The game has 19 levels. I got to level 18, and hit another wall. That level is another legend on the boards. Many called it the Waterloo and they were teamed up. Here I am on the PSP which has no 2 player and I’m using the useless male character. I kid you not, this game gave me an ulcer. I had cramps, strained blood vessels, and sleepless nights. It’s a game that physically affects you with its difficulty, and blights you life. I knew I’d be in a foul mood quitting near the end, so I pressed on. When I got to the last level, I thought I was home free. However, the last boss is a freaking summation of the entire game if there is one. He has 3 stages and like many enemies gets more frantic, the better you do. I was at a friend’s house and literally broke down in near tears. My friend’s son is a child prodigy. He’s one of those kids who yawns through Megaman 1-10. I figured I’d train him to help me. Even he was overwhelmed by this game. I eventually broke down and told him I’m retiring from gaming and give him the crown. I sat in silence bitter tears. I cursed the fact that I decided to start playing the game. He actually gave me a talking to that I couldn’t quit things in life just like that. I decided to try alittle more, and just when I was throwing my hands up, I got a slight break in the fight that allowed me to take out the boss with my last sliver of life. I was speechless. The production quality needs improvement, but I don’t think they expected people to beat their little game. No music on the credits, no ending sequence. However, it’s hard to be mad. You are part of an elite club if you beat The Red Star and deserve the extra arena mode it unlocks. It's good and very rare for a game to be eternally remembered, even if just for difficulty. I recommend this game not for being great, but for the fact that I know it will shake you to your foundation, and I’d love to see everyone suffer as I have. Enjoy- 7.5/10
http://cdn3.spong.com/screen-shot/t/h/theredstar135218/_-The-Red-Star-PS2-_.jpg
by Jokatech19
Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That's the thing. I've played a few Bullet Hell shooters that look more insane than The Red Star. But the reason it trumps them all by far is that all of those games have patterns and reason to them. The Red Star doesn't. There isn't a repetitive dance you can use to weave through the bullets. You have to attack it with a methodology, and constantly use your reflexes and intuition. Some enemies and most of the bosses- especially later ones, attack frantically with a move set in an opportunistic fashion. It's one of those games you have a window of time to beat. When you reach an age where your reflexes slow down a hair, I can see it being impossible. I do want to find that comic.

I was looking at the vid link you posted. Really nice looking game. Looks familiar. I kind of chuckled, because normally I would have considered that pretty hectic, but after playing Red Star, I'm scarred. The collision in that game is super forgiving compared to Red Star. It basically is a matter of sticking with the pattern and outlasting the boss.

If you play Red Star, I suggest using the guy for full effect. No one seems to have used him. It reminds me of when I was playing Phantasy Online episodes 1 and2, in how the character feels like they aren't designed for the high octane action in the game. I remember fighting Dark Falz in that game and feeling like I was in quick sand.
by Jokatech19
Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Eurogamer: 'Shenmue 3 as close to being announced.....

I hear what Eurogamer is trying to say, but I disagree in large part. First of all, to call yourself a Shenmue fan, and then to see the Skyrim generation of games as a replacement to it, is beyond hypocritical. The demographic that Shenmue touched is still untouched. There hasn't been a game that has put a young Japanese boy into an open 3d world set in the mid 80's, using only martial arts, as he uncovers the mystery of his father's murder. The only gaming that exists today targets the lovers of FPS's, fighting games, demon-conjuring games, and War Sims. None of those are up the alley of the purists that love Shenmue. You can say the target market is relatively small in today's world, but don't sit there and say in this demon-infested game world, that the premise of Shenmue has been done over and over again over the last 12 years- because that's just nonsense. And the progression of technology isn't an issue with a game that is more about the story and execution than the flair. Shenmue wasn't a mindless action game that relied on captivating you with it's visuals and speed. Those were just perks at the time. Shenmue 3 could come out today looking like Shenmue 2 on the Xbox, and I'd be just as interested.

I've said in the recent past that I wouldn't want Shenmue 3 to come out at this point, but for a different reason. Today's gaming is what is wrong with gaming. Shenmue stood for a time that was right in gaming history. I'm afraid that if it came out today, it would be influenced by current generation fads and lose the purity that made it great. Staying itself is the last thing that is wrong with it Eurogamer..
by Jokatech19
Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Eurogamer: 'Shenmue 3 as close to being announced.....

Honesty would solve so much in this world. People can't come out with the fidelity and identify with who they are. These days, the world is filled with simple-minded people who like simple-minded stuff, and hate artistic things being that they signify intellect. But no one has the guts to admit that. Rather, things that aren't indicative of the times we live in, and that don't cater to stupidity, are themselves called stupid. That childish, reverse psychology is old and on my last nerve. I know Shenmue's script writing isn't the best ever, and I've never called it a perfect game, but to call it's premise dumb, and to say that it's selling point is being an empty, yet graphical game, is stupidity defined. The premise is more purist material than stupid. It isn't commercially viable because it isn't demon play or gun-play. And no, Suzuki should NOT sully the series by incorporating those elements for the pleasure of the common idiot. If he is willing to make S3 for the few of us with brains left, all the power to him. If he wants to rake in money, forget it then. I'm sick of hearing "pop" referred to as great and progressive. Pop is whatever is degenerate and stupid.
by Jokatech19
Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What TV series are you watching?

I've been planning to get into some of the new series' out there like Breaking Bad and Orange is the New Black, but OMG

http://robertdaylin.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/columbo.jpg

Me and my brother watched this as kids and used to hate how nosey Columbo would infiltrate and disrupt, at times, perfect murders. We often found ourselves rooting for the criminals in this show and in Matlock. I totally forgot how freaking hilarious this show was!!!

Super well written and directed though.
by Jokatech19
Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Legend of Dragoon
http://cartoonsimply.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/legend-of-dragoon-game-wallpaper-15-1024x768.jpg

I remember an age of golden video games, and a time that was still innocent. This game is one of the games that takes me back to that time. In fact, it's probably the only demo I've every played over and over back when it came out. LOD was a game that I initially didn't know much about. My best friend at the time got a copy on his PS and I went over to his house as usual to play games when he decided to show it off to me. I got my hands on a demo for my PS around that time and played it alot. When he was almost done with the game, he tried to get me to come over and see the ending. I went to his house, but instinctively didn't pay much attention to the last part of the game he was playing. I'm glad I did that. He would have spoiled it for me.
http://killapenguin.com/227/gallery/medium/legendofdragoon/legend-of-dragoon-0012.jpg

I'm glad to have played this game now after all these years and completed it, because I actually appreciate it more. Years ago, to have a game of this scope even on 4 Cd's was impressive. To have such a treat downloadable on PSN is amazing. I downloaded it for the PSP some time ago and enjoyed the last parts of the game with headphones and a quiet room. Hearing the surround sound brings me right back to that golden era of gaming.

Production wise, this game, to me, has not lost a single step over all these years. It's robust, and complete in it's execution. Alot of attention is paid to detail even in this old game, that modern games sometimes miss. I tend to shy from turn based RPG's these days, as they feel very rigid and predictable, but this is one of the rare exceptions. It has a decent enough story that is told very well. It feels good to master the combat system as it utilized a reflex based combo system that you have to master to enjoy the benefits of. The music in the game was incredible and worthy of a soundtrack purchase. That holds up as well today. It's one of those games I would play again. I spent 82 hours on this playthrough, and I missed some key things that I couldn't go back to.

http://rpgland.com/content/media/2010/03/leenddragoonscreen.jpg

One thing I pride the PSP and Vita for are being the handheld systems that I used to dream about as a kid. I always envisioned a system that would bring breathtaking gaming experiences to a portable platform. Certain games take advantage of that well. It is impressive for a PS classic to achieve that after all these years. I definitely like this game alot. If anything left a sour taste in my mouth, it was the voice acting at the very end of the game. It was beyond atrocious. To me, it feels like underpaid voice actors doing their best to sabatoge the developers' efforts. No one, let alone an entire group of people, is that damn emotionless an monotone. It's clearly forced and exaggerated. It almost deflates the experience, and if I were the lead developer on that team, I would have had the actors jumped for what they did. Other than that, it was an amazing experience. As I said, I'm more partial to real time RPG's as the challenge is more consistent. This game, like many traditional rpg's, to a seasoned gamer will become a movie fest after the first playthrough. That just comes down to your preference.

http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/f/8/9/gfs_16060_2_7.jpg

Score: 8.9/10
by Jokatech19
Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic