Search found 34 matches

Return

Re: Batman 3

Big rant coming this way...

I only have one question. Where is Christopher Nolan? I'd like to know so I can ask him who the fuck he thinks he is, and who he thinks Batman is, because I thought he had an idea. Now, I know he hasn't. Fair enough, his brother and Goyer have a lot to answer for as well, but let's have a look at a few things...

First off, Gotham in Batman Begins was perfect. What seems to have been overlooked is the fact that Gotham is a character of it's own. This shone through in Batman Begins. Hell, it even did in Burton's Batman films and Batman Forever (to an extent) This was dropped in The Dark Knight. I was hoping because Nolan wanted it to be seen less as Batman's turf and more like the Joker's playground. I always had that belief, and I thought it worked. Now, you could argue that it was a more realistic and regular city in TDKR because it makes it seem more shocking that he's doing this to a real city, but I don't believe that. The transition from BB to TDK & TDKR was "Gotham City" to "Random city called Gotham" to, well, the same again.

Onto the characters. Bane was brilliant. Fucking fantastic. Until the painfully obvious twist that it's in fact Talia's who's behind it all. I know it wouldn't be obvious to someone who doesn't read the comics, but I feel offended that as a reader of Batman comics that I've essentially been ignored as far as the "audience" goes. I kinda feel cheated too. So, if it's Talia's plan n everything, then Bane has once again been relegated to intimidating thug. Not the mastermind he actually is. Thanks guys, loved that.

I've heard a lot of both negative and positive shit about Catwoman, and all I can say is that the performance was great. It's probably the most faithful adaptation of any of the characters in the Nolanverse, so I applaud that. She was, as Bruce Willis once famously said "...[she's] a fly in the ointment [...], a monkey in the wrench, a pain in the ass..." No doubt that she's the most spot-on adaptation of a character they've picked. Except for the fact that she wants out. Catwoman would never want out. What she does is simply too much fun for her.

I wasn't at all happy with Blake. Like Ramirez should have been Montoya, and the guy from LA Noire should've been Bullock, he should've been someone else. The Question, Tim Drake, anyone. Random character with a quite frankly silly reference to Robin thrown in? No thank you. He wasn't a character that was needed, wasn't at all relevant. Catwoman could easily have filled in the role of someone who cares about the orphans and keeps her ear to the streets, and he could've just been a detective working alongside Gordon. His little pep talk to Bruce was shite as well. Whilst JGL put in a good performance, Blake just wasn't a good character at all, and I've seen too many of the exact same character model in the comics. I mean, for fuck sake, it would've made so much sense for him to be that little kid from Begins, but just a random character they've decided is going to be the next Batman? That's just fucking laughable. Wouldn't have made the ending what it is you say? Don't get me started. Not yet.

It just seems that, amidst all Nolan's bitching about what he would and wouldn't do, he's just made himself look like a massive tit. He doesn't want to use villains that've already appeared in a Batman film? Did he miss Batman Returns and Batman & Robin? He also said he wouldn't want to over-saturate the film with villains like they did in Spider-Man 3 because of what it'd take away from the focus of the story and other characters. So, what, other minor characters are okay to steal precious screen time? The number of utterly useless characters was a sheer joke, and I again feel like I've been cheated. Cheated out of seeing the film that I went to see. I only hope that Nolan's involved in a potential sequel just for the sake of getting the cast back together. Other than that, I say good riddance.

Alfred's characterisation got ballsed up too. Yes, he left during the KnightFall saga, but he realised (thanks to a little help from Nightwing) that he had to come back, and was wrong to leave Bruce. The fact that he left and only came back for Bruce's memorial is a slap in the face of one of comic book's greatest characters and unsung heroes. Fox had a role just as small and insignificant too. His involvement almost seemed forced. I know that in certain ways he's needed, but it felt like he, Alfred, and even Gordon at times were an afterthought. Almost as if Nolan was essentially just doin his own film, and just using Batman characters to fill in roles.

Combining the Lazarus Pit and Santa Prisca Prison was a pretty decent idea, I'll give them that. I don't like the fact that they replaced Bane with Talia as the little kid who grew up in the prison though. Yes, it made sense that it was Talia. I'm not arsed that it was Talia. I'm more arsed about it not being Bane. If anything, it should've been a case of Bane not wanting her to succumb to the same fate that he did, so he climbed out of it with her holding onto his back. They just took so much away from Bane that it was almost heartbreaking.

The ending... The ending spat in the face of Batman. They thought they were wrapping up the legend of Batman in a satisfying way. Yes, it is a satisfying way to wrap up the legend of Batman, but it wasn't right. Not at all. He did three things. Three huge things, but is that seriously it? This film would've been a great conclusion if it was a fifth, sixth, ninth, or tenth film, whatever. A great way to end an illustrious career as a hero/saviour/whatever, but seriously? That's it? And the point has been made on several occasions that Bruce Wayne is Batman until he dies. Not retire. Neil Gaiman wrote it quite well. He isn't just going to retire and spend the rest of his days playing golf. Death is the only natural conclusion for him, and then somebody (Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Damian Wayne, whichever) take over.

And how exactly do you expect to wrap up the (Bruce Wayne as) Batman legend without the Joker? Yes, Christopher, we all feel sorry for you that you lost a great friend in Heath Ledger. You think that we liked losing arguably one of, if not the best adaptation of the Joker? (I don't care what anyone says, Mark Hamill is good as the Joker, but Ledger took it to a whole other level) No, course we didn't, but it's something he needed to get over to give Batman a satisfying conclusion. Even if he was just let loose for the last half hour of the bomb's countdown to slow Batman down, he should've been there, and the fact that he wasn't just proves that the whole team behind the series lost their way.

The perfect solution to all the negativity would've been something Nolan didn't want. More films. Dent should've become Two-Face at the very end of TDK and carried over to a third film, as originally intended. Talia should've been introduced in the third film as a background character, to build up the grand reveal in the TDKR. You can't throw anyone off in the space of a film, it just doesn't work. Dick Grayson should've been involved, even if he was just Batman's eyes and ears on the streets. It should've been him to take over from Bruce in the end. Not some random arse character who's not even had any significant training outside the police academy. They just got so much shit wrong, and I blame us. The guys who praised BB & TDK. WB ended up putting too much faith in Nolan, almost as if he had free reign to do whatever he wanted.

Don't get me wrong, as far as films go, TDKR has a very good and very satisfying conclusion. But not for a Batman film. That ending would've worked well in a number of possible projects. Like I said though, it's almost as if Nolan had a film project in the works, and just applied Batman characters to it. Great, great ending. Wrong film. Besides that, it just reeked of the final episode of House.

I can't deny for a second though that I think the film was a clever mixture of The Dark Knight Returns, KnightFall, and No Man's Land. I thought it'd mainly be KnightFall, and I'm glad I was wrong. And the fanboy inside me couldn't help smiling this huge, cheesy grin when I saw Batman return in the first act. Actually, every time Batman was on screen, it was a great moment. I actually can't believe how well they did it, he had a hell of a lot more presence than he ever has done in any other film. Absolutely brilliant. Again though, as with every Batman film, he wasn't in it enough. It's almost as if people don't know how to make a film that focuses on Batman. Not Bruce Wayne, not the villains, not the supporting cast, I'm talking Batman.

The fight scenes also impressed me. I was very surprised that Nolan recognised that it's something he needed to work on (can't remember if it was Kenny, Joe Pesci, OL or Clint who mentioned how bad they were in the previous two) but I reckon he made up for it somewhat anyway. Loved how brutal Bane looked as well in the first fight with Batman. I woulda liked to have seen more damage on Bruce afterwards, that kinda disappointed me. The second fight didn't make much sense either. Bane almost seemed like he was pulling his punches. It would've made a hell of a lot more sense if they brought back the fear factor for Begins, set it at night, and Batman actually does put the fear of God into Bane through a mixture of his League of Shadows training and his old friends... Bats. Again, the fanboy inside me almost leapt for joy when the bats appeared as he crawled out of Santa Prisca, but I was hugely disappointed that they never expanded on the use of bats. Especially after how well they were used in BB, as they were completely absent from TDK. They shoulda used em more.

But yeah, there were plenty of absolutely brilliant moments in the film, and I wouldn't even consider calling it anything other than a really good film, but as the third Batman film in the Nolan series, it's shite. Like I said, it should've been Batman 5, 6, 9 or 10. The way I see it is that Begins was the best Batman film, TDK was the best film of the series, and TDKR as the best standalone film, whilst also being the worst in the series.

In conclusion, it would've been a brilliant ending to the Nolan series if more films preceded it, but they didn't, so as far as the over-arching story goes, the timing was woeful. It was rushed. Out of place. Whatever. It didn't work well like that. If you just ignore that though, and only take the in-film references into consideration, it was fucking fantastic, and a great amalgamation of three classic Batman stories.

So, whilst I'm distraught about the decision to cut everything so short in a manner such as this, I also come away from the film feeling that I got real value for money. Great film, but from the standpoint of a Batman fan(boy) and geek, totally and utterly wrong.

Rant over for now, but when I see it again, I'll probably have more to say. Oh, and somebody actually read this and reply to it, coz I've been typing this since I got back from the pictures and it'll otherwise seem like a massive waste of time.
by MiTT3NZ
Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Arguments

not arsed.
by beedle
Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: QTE Champ! [XBLI]

Hi,

I'm the creator of QTE Champ on XBLIG. I was googling around to see what the general feedback was and found my way here (I've visited the site plenty of times, just never the forums). The first thing I want to do is thank you for finding my game and sharing it with everyone else. The second thing is to tell you that the gameplay video on YouTube that you linked to wasn't uploaded by me so I had no hand in deleting any comments and I'm sorry yours was deleted. I support whatever people have to say about the game positive or negative because all thoughtful feedback is equally valid in my book.

Okay, with that said, let me give a quick blurb about why QTE Champ exists. The game is very obviously Shenmue's QTE Excite 2 arcade game -- and that's exactly what was intended! Back when I had my Dreamcast, I was addicted to both the QTE games in the arcade and for the longest time I wished there was a stand-alone version so that I could play them without starting Shenmue, walking to the arcade, and spending my in-game money. After years of wanting it, I finally just went ahead and made it myself. My hope was that this would bring other fans of the original mini-game like me out from hiding :-)

Every comment that I've seen on the YouTube video so far seems pretty positive and it makes me happy that the game clicked with the intended audience. Also, don't worry about purchasing the full game because I'm going to give you a download code for it. Just PM me so that I at least know this post was seen and read and I'll sent it to you. I also added you on Xbox Live.

Again, thanks for sharing the game with everyone. If you all have any questions let me know.

mseifullah
Hamworks

Edit: Went back and fixed tyops and grammar mistakes -- I originally wrote this post on a tablet.
by mseifullah
Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AVATARS AND SIGS

None taken. I find it quite flattering that Joe can't help himself picturing rampant sex scenes whenever he thinks of me.

no avatar adequately represents your personality, I'd say

I'd probably have to agree. And this is why I quite like the Zen koan like "no avatar" default avatar, I think it represents my slight insanity and thunderbolt spontaneity yet disciplined and quiet nature, better than any other avy could. But I worry that with the potential of increased activity one day, there could be too many "no avatar" avatar's running about. But maybe this is also appropriate, after all, "a great man should not ever be remembered." ;-)
by mue 26
Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Last thing you bought

Nice. Please post a naked pic of you wearing nothing but that hoodie. Hawt.
by mue 26
Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: who would you cast for a live action shenmue?

Laurence Olivier would obviously be Ryo, Robert De Niro would be Fuku-san, Robert Shaw would be Tom, and Joe Pesci would, of course, be Lan Di.
And Claire Danes would be Ine-san.
by Feelers Rebo
Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER!

Joe Pesci wrote: And we are re-animated.

JOE! :D
by Birty
Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER!

I just hope it's not a brilliant troll. What if Yu takes the two million and only uses like $1000 to make a game where it's just a screen with Ryo and Shenhua's lifeless skeletons in the cave and you just kind of move the camera around? And then pockets the rest??

Regardless, congrats to everyone. I'm disturbed by all of the ejaculation going on, but after 14 years of blue balls, I'd say it's damn deserved.
by Bastard Yusuke
Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 won't be that good

Shut up, no one cares.
by Himuro
Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 3 WILL be that good

Need some positivity back here.

The game will be awesome.

this smiley almost represents how i feel right now: :rotflmao:
by urbanveteran
Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Retain the Past or Look to the Future?

So, in a frustrating predicament. I'm currently in one of the skintest positions I've been in for a while, and have Father's Day and a few birthdays over the coming weeks. This leaves me with - at best - a couple of quid to pledge to the Kickstarter.

However...

I have a theory.

Shenmue's making headlines right now. This means that the demand for a Dreamcast and copies of Shenmue I & II go up, right? As demand goes up, value goes up, so why not sell my DC and games to forward the proceeds to Shenmue III?

Well, because then I won't be able to play Shenmue (not particularly arsed about II coz I've got 2X) NullDC doesn't provide the same experience, and Shen3's gonna be more than two years in the making. It's blatantly getting funded, but I wanna see it hit every stretch goal on there.

So, I'm asking the only people who can think of this in the correct context: you lot.

Be a part of the franchise's future, or hold onto the past?
by MiTT3NZ
Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Future ideas for Shenmue PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THIS

I want it to end on a cliffhanger. Life just won't feel right not waiting for a Shenmue game to be released.
by MiTT3NZ
Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Future ideas for Shenmue PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THIS

Personally, I'd like them to retain the "press trigger and steer" method of movement. So many others seem to want basic analog movement, but that would kill a lot of the feel of the original games. I love that Shenmue had its own way of walking, of all things.
by OL
Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Game Of Thrones TV topic

Im assuming everyone in here either knows whats happened or doesnt care but come on.... The Red Woman? Jon Snow? Lady Stoneheart? Beric Dondarrian being a red priest...... You dont need an etch-a-sketch to work it out.....

Least thats what i am assuming. I havent read the books either past Storm of Swords.
by Peter
Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How does it feels like

How can I explain it in a way that an 18 year old who has never played it would understand....I will pretend you are me at 18..ok here we go... You know how after you have a lot of unprotected sex and you are fairly sure you got her pregnant and you may have gotten an std, but then the chick has her period and you find out that after shaving and some cream that you are as good as new?? It feels like that x100000

by Serious_is_Me
Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"Shenmue's new official site and community"

Congraultations to all Shenmue Community for having their link
featured at Official Site.

http://shenmue.link/us-en/

Wondering who did it ;-)
Will receive
updates/etc
by time.

#SaveShenmue
by alimn
Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If you donated to help Shenmue 3. Please post here.

Maybe @Yama could add a custom profile field for people to put how much they pledged if people want to share? Just an idea :D
by HazDS
Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If you donated to help Shenmue 3. Please post here.

But just to be clear, I'm way more of a fan than any of those piddly $5 backers.
Just so we're clear.
by OL
Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Game Of Thrones TV topic

ive been offered to be an extra twice and ive turned it down due to the strict schedule. Its crazy watching it that ive been to a lot of the locations loads of times.
by Peter
Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Really hope they can bring back the original English voi

I hope so. Nobody can nail that monotone, robotic voice the way Corey Marshall did. A Ryo Hazuki who shows any emotion whatsoever isn't the real thing.
by Bastard Yusuke
Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

Some people wasting their time asking "where can I find sailors?" and "would you like to try a game of lucky hit?" lol. I would love to see his responses for these but why would you do that when you get real informative answers from him?
by FourWuDu1026
Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: General Anime Discussion

I just finished watching Steins;Gate (which is actually based on a game), which is about time travel, kind of a slow start but it kicks into high gear in the second half, been watching on Netflix and watched several in one sitting, so really had me gripped. The theme song is also permanently stuck in my head...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJEGb4MPV6I
by Miles Prower
Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Old forums?

Ryudo wrote:
Peter wrote:Sounds like that dude Pilcher.

Pilcher was n alter ego of Louis.
I hope he is dead. Seriously.

I'm sorry my love. I'm alive and kicking!
by Pilcher
Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The reunion topic.

Where's ginfners? And Joe Pesci? Where's Addict?
by mue 26
Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The reunion topic.

Jeff is the Jar-Jar Binks of Shenmue Dojo.
by Axm
Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Q: Will the band-aid ever come off?

A: I am considering a special option where it could be removed.

Q: Will we see Ryo's Journal return? Would be cool to be able to flip the pages using the PS4's touchpad.

A: I would like to bring back the Journal. That is an interesting idea, I will look into it. Thank you.
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Q: Any possibility of a bicycle finally being added to Shenmue 3? Thank you so much again, Yu!

A: There is a 60 horsepower bike in Shenmue 1. For Shenmue, 3 I was thinking about something with 1 horsepower.

So we are going to get a fucking horse!? Or maybe he means we will ride Shenhua? :-({|=

He's talking about a bike...
I think he is actually talking about a horse.
by shredingskin
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Reddit AMA Answers

Thought I'd compile all the reddit Q&A in an initial post so it's easy to read for those who don't want to go through 10 pages. I'll edit my initial post as it goes on.

How accurately will Shenmue III be compared to your original vision of the game or will there be major compromises?

YS: There are a total of 11 chapters that make up the whole story. Over the past 14 years I originally planned for there to 4 or five games to the series. If at all possible, I would still like to realize the full story of 11 chapters.

Will Shenmue III enable PayPal or a means to donate to the project when the Kickstarter ends? Projects like Star Citizen gained tens of millions in donations by allowing this.

YS: I am still thinking about it, but have not decided yet.

Shenmue is a Peach Blossom tree correct? Could you tell us what type of tree exactly?
I would like to plant one.

YS: It is more like a cherry blossom tree, that blooms its flowers in the springtime. It is actually a tree I made up for the story.

Hello Suzuku-san! Will a day-to-night cycle and weather system return to Shenmue 3? They added so much to the atmosphere of previous games. Thank you Suzuki-san!

YS: Of course!

Will you reassure us that Ryo's face will be changed back to the Ryo we all know and love when Shenmue 3 releases, and not this impostor wearing Ryo's jacket that you have on Kickstarter? That is NOT our Ryo!

YS: I am not happy with Ryo's face. It will be the face I have in my mind in the end.

Will the gameplay in Shenmue III be more contemporary or will it be more in line with past Shenmue iterations?

YS: As for III, I would like to make a less stressful user interface, that will feature more usability. From now on, I will make that a focus.

Yu are my hero!
Shenmue is credited with introducing the QTE. Given the significant advances in gaming systems and technology over the last decade, are you confident that you can show the gaming world something we have not seen before?

YS: Thank you very much.

Will we see any capsule toys based on Ape Escape or any of the Sony franchise in Shenmue 3?

YS: I have not decided the capsule toys, so please keep your ideas coming.

Have you ever consider telling the rest of the tale for Shenmue in a book if the opportunity to make Shenmue III never came up?

YS: Yes, I have but if I did do that, it would give away the end of the story, and I thought that would be a big minus.

What was your inspiration for the story behind the first two Shenmue games?

YS: When I was making Virtua Fighter, I went location hunting in China. I was very inspired by Chinese martial arts. That very well may have been the beginning.

Will practicing moves make a return in Shenmue 3 along with the FREE battle system? A lot of fans feel not being able to practice moves was big piece missing in Shenmue 2, and I also personally loved being able to practice and make the moves stronger. It really makes you feel as if you are learning marital arts and then performing them in a skill-based actual battle feels very satisfying.

YS: I want to do it yes!

Will players have access to both the Japanese and English voice overs for the game?
And I wanted to say thank you so much for Shenmue and Shenmue II, it brought a tear to my eye seeing those games at E3 during the Shenmue III announcement, I cannot wait. Those two games are what made me curious about Japan as a child, and I am now trying to work as a Japanese translator!

YS: I am thinking about that, yes. However it is not for sure.
It is because of fans like you, I wanted to make a sequel. Thank you very much.

Will the band-aid ever come off?

YS: I am considering a special option where it could be removed.

Will we see Ryo's Journal return? Would be cool to be able to flip the pages using the PS4's touchpad.

YS: I would like to bring back the Journal. That is an interesting idea, I will look into it. Thank you.

What do you think of the current state of Japanese game development?

YS: I see the share of mobile games increasing, the budgets of games decreasing. It will be harder to express a game's vision.
I would hope the console and PC markets gain more popularity.

Any possibility of a bicycle finally being added to Shenmue 3? Thank you so much again, Yu!

YS: There is a 60 horsepower bike in Shenmue 1. For Shenmue, 3 I was thinking about something with 1 horsepower.

Will character polls compromise your artistic vision?

YS: I really want to get everyone's opinion on the characters. I have something in mind that won't break the world immersion.

In Suzuki-san’s opinion, what is the essence of arcade games? Are those influences in Shenmue?

YS: With an arcade game, you are restricted to a 3 minute window to express what the game is. That is how I made games for the longest time. I wanted to create a game that could be played at a more leisurely pace, so I created what ended up being Shenmue.

Yu, are you really going to be signing your autograph on the illustration for the $300 kickstarter signed collectors edition? So far there is almost 2000 backers, that is a lot of illustrations to sign!

YS: Of course I will write them all myself!

Will Shenmue 3 have any sort of multiplayer component? Perhaps Co-op or a versus mode?

YS: I am thinking about something that would resemble that.

Do you have any more details to share about the stretch goals? It's not clear to me what a "Rapport System" or "Character Perspective System" entails.

YS: They are new systems, so naturally they need new names. The Rapport System will govern changes in Shenhua's actions depending on your conversations with or actions towards her. The "Character Perspective System" will highlight different characters personalities as they go through the story.

What will Ryo do to earn money in Shenmue 3?
As great and engrossing as the story and gameplay were in Shenmue 1 and 2, I (and many others) really really liked the forklift driving. It was like I could learn a new (video game) skill, get good at it, and putter around the docks like a badass.

YS: There will be part time jobs that will be indicative of those you would find in China. In the Stretch goals there will also be the old favorites.

Do you have any dogs or cats?

YS: 3 yorkshire terriers and a turtle.

Love your work! You are a pioneer in this industry! As for my question:
How much game elements/features will we be missing in the game if the campaign doesn't reach the $5 million mark?

YS: I will say this: if we reach the $5 mil mark, one of the things I really want to do with Shenmue 3 will become a reality.
At $10 million, it will truly have the features of an open world.

Who would win a fight between Ryo and Akira?

YS: Akira! Akira is up to 5 now, and Ryo is still on 3.

Can we expect more duck racing in Shenmue III? That was the best easter egg I've ever seen in a video game.

YS: I would love it.

How was it working with mega64?

YS: It was really fun. I would love to do it again.
I hope they pitch in for the replica Ryo jacktet!

Will there be forklift gameplay in Shenmue III?

YS: Look for it in the Stretch Goals!

Given Shenmue 2's ending and previous items found within the series; will swordplay enter gameplay at all? What about the story, can we expect Ryo to use a sword at some point?

YS: I can't answer that.

Do you have a favorite game that you've developed other than Shenmue?

YS: I had fun making all the games I worked on, and can't say one was better than another. Boring answer I know, but it really is true.

I only have one statement. I think I speak for everyone here when I say that Shenmue is one of the greatest game series of all time. And one quick question, what can we expect for surprises in the 3rd installment without spoiling the storyline at all?

YS: How could I do that? Sorry, gotta pass. Thank you very much though!

I've always wondered, why did you set the game in the 1980s rather than present day?

YS: I wanted put forward the differences in culture and values between the two periods.

(Suzuki-san, thank you for coming today! Shenmue is the reason I came to Japan. Those living towns and people you showed in your games were so natural and real, that I wanted to see it for myself. So, now I am in my fourth year of living in Japan.
What I'd like to ask is, if you had billions of yen, what would your dream Shenmue be?
Also, were there any features or gameplay you liked that didn't make it into Shenmue 1 or 2?)

YS: One where the player could live in that world. A second life.

I have two important questions for you:
Do you know where I can find some sailors?
Would you like to try a game of Lucky Hit?

YS: Yes, but not right now.
Uh, ok.

I love the music from Shenmue, if anything kept me thinking about Shenmue from time to time during these 10+ years it was the music. Was is your favorite piece from the soundtrack? Thank you for bringing Shenmue to our lives, I can't thank you enough.

YS: Of course I love both the Shenmue and Shenhua themes, and all of them really, but the one that really sticks with me is the Tomato Mart.

Will there be more funding tiers added to the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter, specifically between the $500 and $3000 tier?

YS: Yes.

Shenmue 3 is just the start. How successful does the game need to be for us to get Shenmue 4 and so on until the saga is complete?

YS: If the fans are not happy with 3 there will not be a 4. So I please hope we can together make this game the best it can be.

What Sega console is your favourite and why?

YS: The Dreamcast. It has really good balance. I was involved with the hardware as well, so it had a lot of meaning for me.

Suzuki-San...welcome to the fantasy zone! It's finally happening. Any plans on more arcade games within Shenmue III?

YS: I plan on making plans.

Why do you create?

YS: Why does one climb the mountain?
The shark cannot breath when it does not swim.

Any info on the stretch goals for Choubu and Bailu village?

YS: Choubu is a riverside village with lots of shops, souvenir stores, hotels and temples. The quests in this village should be very enjoyable, I think.
Bailu is the village where Shenhua was raised and also a place that Ryo's father, Iwao, had visited when he was younger. Here as well the quests will play an important role as Ryo and Shenhua start their journey.

Are all the towns listed in the Kickstarter stretch goals in the game already, or are the stretch goals only there as a means to help give them more features and spice?

YS: They are there, but with more powered up through the stretch goals.

Will Ryo ever go back to Japan?

YS: Not in 3.

Who is your favorite Shenmue character?

YS: It has always been Shenhua.

Are you still involved in any programming activities?

YS: I still write algorithms, logic verification, and make simple prototypes.

Do you play airsoft, paintball, or anything similar?

YS: I think it was Afterburner that I really got into airsoft. The office floor was covered with plastic BBs. Yeah, the Berretta 93R rocks. I put a real hunting scope on that one.

Are you at all a fan of Anime? If so, what are your favourites?

YS: Sure, but its all pretty old stuff.

Will the game take advantage of the virtual reality goggles on PS4 and PC?

YS: Right now, there are no plans for a vr system compatibility, but I love the idea of using it to peer into the world of Shenmue.

When creating Shenmue 3, will you use any assets at all from 1 & 2? Or do you have to start all over from scratch because SEGA still owns the first two games?

YS: The assets from 1 & 2 will get a lot of use.
by Riku Rose
Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I gilded the main post. Now he has a gold star. At the very least it draws more attention to the AMA. I haven't even pledged to the campaign yet. I plan at least 300 but am waiting to see what other tiers look like.

Oh I didn't know it would help draw more attention. If that is going to help hype the campaign, I will be more than happy to give him a gold star as well!
by sand4fish
Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Joe Pesci wrote: Might I suggest if you haven't already, that you give gold to a post that we want to stand out above the rest. Maybe the one regarding getting to 10 million? We want to draw as much attention as possible to this campaign.

Glad to! It was my own question after all. :D
by sand4fish
Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SlySpy wrote:Imagine having to be a buffer between him and his fans for over four hours.

I assume it's like doing a job you get paid for? That's basically a morning shift lol
by south carmain
Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

Joe Pesci wrote: How many of us have died? I was looking for things to not change. I want to leave for a while and come back to the same old Dojo-goers, but no, you all have to go and die on me.

phpBB [video]
by KiBa
Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic