Search found more than 3665 matches

Return

Re: Less Forums

I've mostly regarded it as a spam topic forum where there are no rules on what you can post, but I haven't seen many threads in there that I'd actually post in regularly as a result.
by Neo Matrix
Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:44 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dream Jobs... Let Me Help You

UnHoly Bible wrote:I want to start a hippo rental business.

I actually know a nigerian prince ready to give me 2.000.000.000.000$ so I can invest in your business
by south carmain
Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:37 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dojo Forum Update: Moderation Team

Hope Henry's brother doesn't find out his password again..
by Crimson Ryan
Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:57 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

MiTT3NZ wrote:Coz I don't wanna lose my cat. She's technically hers, so she'd take her.


one way or another it's always about the pussy.
by ThyDarkAngel
Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:24 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Have most of the forum members dissappeared?

MiTT3NZ wrote:Clint.


It would be kinda nice to have Clint back. Just wear a vest or something, and a helmet.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:19 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dojo Forum Update: Moderation Team

Yay. The Irishman is green again! I feel so much better now. Thanks for everyones support prior to this. Onwards and upwards gentlemen :D
by Peter
Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:21 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Have most of the forum members dissappeared?

Been a while since i posted here but Sailors? got in touch a few weeks ago suggesting i revisit the dojo. Truth is i didn't disappear or forget about this place and i still visit regularly despite rarely posting and the main reason for this is until recently i haven't had a functioning computer/laptop, i did try to post on my iphone but it was a great and unsucessful struggle so i chose not to bother.

I was a little reluctant to make this post as i'm not one who likes the spotlight, never chose to make a topic announcing me leaving or returning here or got into situations where politics could be involved it's just not really my style. But for anyone who is interested enough to know what HL has been up to in recent times then i'll gladly get you up to speed.

This summer i graduated from university, i'm now looking for a career based job but with my current job i've just been offered a promotion which entails a few more hours but a nice little pay rise as well. I've met a lovely girl who i've now been with for 8 and a half months, she has no interest in video games but i will force her to indulge in any new Shenmue title if it were to see the light of day. Finally i've got back into playing 5-a-side football (soccer) and won the league with my team last season and are sitting 2nd in this current season.

I may start to post here a little more frequently again, no doubt if some Shenmue related news comes to surface then it'll be a catalyst for discussion.
by Hazuki Legend
Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:58 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Less Forums

No, it doesn't. If he was here or not, the forum being restructured was going to happen one way or another. He wasn't the owner or full admin, I gave him admin access for easy control over banning and a few other things. I already talked of doing this a month prior with other mods and agreed it was a good idea due to the forum being an utter cluster fuck. It's half of the reason people just stopped posting new threads, including myself.

As for the members, yeah, it obviously does. But we're talking about forum structure, not peoples personal vendettas here.
by Yama
Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:54 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Help with non-copyrighted Images

Take a really zoomed in picture of your ballsack so they can't quite tell what it is.
by Sailors?
Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:28 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Less Forums

I use the "View new posts" feature. So I rarely forum hop.
by Kenny
Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:59 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Goodbye everyone

I would have posted earlier but I've only just got back from Barcelona and felt the situation warranted a bit more of a detailed post than a few sentences I construct with my iPhone while taking a shit. I'm gonna take this opportunity to iron out a few misnomers regarding a few things before I get the inevitable bans, my original account is still banned so I guess I'm one of the select few!

Ryudo:

There were a number of occasions when I would be in the chat room with him and Oppy and he would encourage me to troll certain members of the forum that he didn't like. I remember Master Kyodai being one in particular. So his whole stance on me being a troll is entirely hypocritical, as he only took action against me being a cunt to anyone when he was the recipient of a scathing post.

I'm not going to lie and say that I didn't type any of that vitriol in my post that had me banned. I did, and I know it was a tad out of order. I didn't say he was lazy or that he should get a job, I was suggesting that if he really didn't have much time left before he shuffled off this mortal coil then he may want to consider doing something a bit more worthwhile with the limited time he had remaining, rather than spend it playing Xenogears and making videos about unboxing limited edition JRPGs. I know I could have worded it a bit better but he did delete a paragraph from underneath the remaining post which went along the lines of:

"Adam, I know I'm being harsh mate but we only want what is best for you. If you don't have much time left on this earth then surely it would be better spent going out and actually doing stuff rather than wasting it on forums or playing games?"

Now don't take that as exact verbatim, but it was essentially what I was getting at. Most people see me as being puerile, vulgar and immature, but I'm only fucking about. However some of my posts from years gone by which I have occasionally read-over again due to a necro-bump make me cringe . From my last period under my original handle (this one is an alternate account) - Jan to Oct 2011 - I didn't post that much offensive stuff in comparison to previous periods. Ryudo understood this until he took personal offence to something that I posted which I don't think was particularly ban-worthy. He was perfectly ok to see others be on the receiving end but when the shoe is on the other foot then he does not hesitate to take swift action.

I don't hate the guy, but he does have issues and a habit of lying about situations to cover his tracks. I don't think anyone is fooled about Coby not being Ryudo, but hey, why doesn't a mod do an IP trace and see if it matches what Ryudo was posting from?

Sonniku:

We never got on because you got really pissy over me modifying your Sonic sig that you had at the time to show him sucking a cock with cum dribbling off his chin. Immature? Yes, but it was in Junk and I didn't think you would get into such a strop about it. Ever since then we never saw eye-to-eye. I'm happy to call bygones as the whole thing is six-to-one and half-a-dozen to the other. It was 8 years ago FFS!

Peter (re what you posted in another topic):

I'm sad that you think I'm the kinda guy that would get you into trouble tbh mate. My internet persona does not truly reflect who I am IRL. Yes I do like to take the piss, also unafraid to speak my mind and am steadfast in my beliefs, but I can also take on board critique and recognise when I am wrong. I'm a lover, not a fighter, baby.
by QWERTY
Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:43 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

SC is turning into a press a to complete game :cry:
by Who Really Cares?
Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:53 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rep gone?

The rep i have never cared for. I just thanked for anything i read and liked. I never checked my score, and i didnt even know there was a leaderboard, how do you find where that is??

The payoff with junk, is that we are being a lot more leniant with what goes on outside of junk, in terms of topic subjects that can be made, and also if threads go a bit off topic, then so be it, That happens and i just see it as like a conversation you have in the pub. A thread title is more of a conversation starter for me, and what comes of it is always linked to it because thats what the basis of the discussion was. There will be no "pruning" or whatever as we have seen in the past. There are times when people talk about non sensical stuff, funny stuff, irrelevant stuff....... but the junk forum to me, has always been a place were people just talk shit . Complete and utter bo bo. Also not saying everything in there is crap, in fact if it were to be deleted, we would be going through it beforehand and moving topics that are good, out of it, like say the "Ask Brotherman" topic.

Those are just my thoughts, but whatever happens i dont mind, If it goes it goes, and if it stays, it stays. I have never really made a post in it, and probably wont visit it that often.
by Peter
Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:47 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Have most of the forum members dissappeared?

I am always sickened, SICKENED that extraordinarygoodgrocer doesnt get all the love in these kind of topics. You want nostalgia?? His YTMND pages still work!!

http://shenmueisbawdybritseasideromp.ytmnd.com/
http://ryohazukicorriestreet.ytmnd.com/
http://shenmuefororiginalgameboy.ytmnd.com/

And so on..
by Gingefners, The
Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:59 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

Spent a lot of time thinking about the pros and cons of going for a shit at work today, for some reason. :???:
by St. Elmo's Fire
Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:49 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

@segata true, but I was saying it more out of amusement than spite, the name made me laugh because it's so stereotypically American
by south carmain
Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:34 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Iwata speaks to Kotaku about DLC

"we cannot, and should not, ask our consumers to embrace the situation where they are required to make excessive payments. Doing such things might be good for short-term profit, but it will not serve our mid-term and long-term business developments."

"I think, when the player has exhausted what's in an existing piece of software, when there are no more challenges and there is nothing more they can do, if we then introduce a new level or a new character—something new for them—we just increased their motivation to want to go back; we've also increased the amount of time they're going to enjoy that software. And one thing Nintendo has determined as a company policy, what we are not going to do is create a full game and then say, ‘let's hold this back for DLC.' That's not our plan. We're definitely not doing that. It's an extreme example, but I think there are examples of games where you get that initial purchase—the very core part of the game—and everything else around it is all DLC. However, if you do that I believe customers will have no motivation to go out and buy the retail package to begin with."

...

"So our goal is to create DLC in such a way that consumers do not feel that they have been cheated or deceived. Now I believe there are people out there, readers, who have are worried about that, and we just want to ensure them that we have that in mind and want them to know that that's not what we are planning on doing."

http://kotaku.com/5935721/super-marios-boss-doesnt-want-to-overdo-it-with-mr-video-game-and-wont-deceive-you-with-dlc

Good man.
by Henry Spencer
Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:19 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Image

This is some cool parenting.

Yama wrote:Awesome article on a severely underrated series:

http://lparchive.org/D-and-D2/

Nice article, I actually bought Enemy Zero and D a while back but I haven't had the chance to play them yet.
by Bambi
Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:35 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Shenmue Dojo - 10th Anniversary Video & Members Gall

I think that would be the greatest plot twist of them all.
by Kenny
Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:58 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Shenmue Dojo - 10th Anniversary Video & Members Gall

Action shot of KiBa lurking at ShenmueDojo

Image
by Thief
Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:34 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Deletion/Moving of the Junk forum

Hi guys. We have talked a lot about it a lot in the past couple of weeks and have come to the decision that the deletion of the Junk forum is the right way to go in regards to moving forward with the boards. I know there are some at the Dojo who are reluctant to see changes take place, and i have to say its an understandable reaction. But we have been in a transitional period over the past month or so, and whilst this is one of the biggest decisions to come out from all of this, it also appears to be the right decision. It is also a decision supported by a majority of the community (and also others who are indifferent to the forums existence) and certainly wouldn't be considered without that support.

The Junk Forum has been around here for as long as i can remember. It was always used for general spam, and in its later years for NSFW posts. I would tend to be on the indifferent side of the Junk Forums existence, but i would have never really have taken part in anything going on in there. However, one thing that's noticeable is that over the past 6 months in particular, the activity in Junk has decreased greatly. I mean even now, there hasn't been a post in there in over 48 hours, and over the past month only 5-6 topics have seen less than a few posts apiece.
Another thing is that if you read through a lot of the threads in there, you will see that they are not spam at all, but discussions that may have stemmed from an idiotic statement or joke which are still sensibly based and without insult or threat. So in reality, there is no need for those threads to exist in that forum at all.
Also (which i think we have said before), the staff are all on the same page now, and will be more lenient in regards to moderating the boards via interpretation of the TOS. Spam will always be spam, but unless it just goes way out of hand, then there is no harm in threads going a bit off track, or members kidding around with other members. As long as people still treat other people with respect and without insult then we are not gonna have any issues.

So, what will happen now....

What will happen now is that topics from the latest pages of Junk (around 5 pages perhaps) will be looked at, and if considered to be in any way valuable, will be moved and/or merged with other forums/topics around the board. For example, the "Ask Brothaman" topic is fine with me, and will be moved to General Discussion. Its fun, and there is a difference between fun and spam. Another example is the "Things that made you laugh - junk edition" topic. I mean that can be merged with the identical topic that exists in General Discussion.
Now i know people will possibly say, "but that was created because of NSFW related material", which was the case, but i am sort of unclear on the topic of NSFW posts at the minute, and i will wait on Yama to give a bit more clarification on this. But as far as i would say, NSFW posts would be ok provided if they are simply marked "NSFW" above the related picture/video and also the picture/video is spoiler tagged. But like i said, we will wait and see on this.

Once this process is complete, the Junk Forum will then be deleted. Since members posts did not contribute towards their overall post count, the lost posts will not be subtracted from a users post count. In fact, it works the opposite way with various topics being moved out of Junk, and into forums where posts are added to your count, that users post count will actually increase ( a few members have made a lot of posts in the "Ask Brothaman" topic for example). Also, with the rep system being reset in the past few days, there will be minimal/no loss to any members rep score.

One last thing whilst this is going on, is if we could ask members not to make anymore posts/topics in the Junk Forum, and now begin to consider that forum closed. This will make it easier for the forums pages to be looked at, and the switch overs and merges to be smoothly done. Like i said at the beginning, i understand if some members feel this is not right or just. But we are trying to move forward, and we feel that this move is contributing to the boards overall, rather than taking anything away from it. Also, we really are grateful for your patience and support during this time. Its appreciated as always :nice!:
by Peter
Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:46 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I am bored

Sir JC Denton wrote:And then I remembered that you guys were worth a chuckle or too. It's been a while. How the fuck are ya?

Mr Denton how are you Sir? Great to see you again! Missed the Avatar ;)
by Birty
Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:26 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Deletion/Moving of the Junk forum

I would never just up and delete threads. They are all in general.
by Yama
Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:20 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Batman 3

Yeah, I agree with pretty much all of that, Mitts, even without reading the comics.

Then again, I've always considered the Batman films to be massively overrated (and I hate that word) Begins is the best in the trilogy, simply because it's pieced together perfectly. TDK felt like things were moving too fast, and the Two Face transition was awful, IMO. The rest of the film was pretty solid, given the script. TDKR had some cool moments, but like others have said, the conclusion to Bane and that cheese-filled ending left a bitter taste in my mouth. Like TDK, TDKR moved way, way too fast for its own good.

Clearly Nolan had his limitations, but TDK and TDKR needed to be split into two parts, each. There's just too much going on.
by Clint
Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:21 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Batman 3

Actually, I liked the John Blake character. But only because he was revealed as a homage to Robin. By himself, it wasn't that great of a character despite him being performed by JGL. It was also stupid how the figured out he was Batman because he had "the look" of someone hiding and it happened to be the same demeanor Blake had as well. Too far-fetched, despite the dialogue being well written and awesomely recited by JGL.

Everything else I agree with but I didn't even think it was that great of an actual film. Too many characters, too many situations, it over over-saturated and all over the place. Not to mention it had a number of other logically fallacies, like placing all the cops in the tunnel and giving Talia EVERYTHING after sleeping with her once.
by Kenny
Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:09 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Batman 3

Just read it man, all i've got to say is WOW. Great dedication to a comic you clearly love and I'm sorry that the film disappointed you (In the ways you mentioned). I can't emphasize with you as I've never read a batman comic in my life only watched (and enjoyed) the films. However, I do agree with a lot of the points you raised. I do feel it was rushed, I do feel the Robin thing was completely shit and obvious, and I do agree that The Joker should of appeared in some way.

TDK is probably one of my favourite films of all time, Heath Ledger as the Joker in my eyes is truly one of the greatest acting roles i've ever seen. Like I say I can't talk about this too much as there's loads of Batman stuff I know fuck all about, I enjoyed the film, not as much as TDK but pretty fucking close.

If you wrote and directed a batman film Mitts I reckon it'd be the best fucking thing I would ever watch in my life. You and Kenny need to team up pronto.
by Sailors?
Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:04 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

Well I liked it. (the whole package, not just bits and pieces)
by Spokane
Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:51 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

Sailors? You can't deny this song is catchy, it just happens to also have a funny as fuck scene in it that shit sex is involved.
by Spokane
Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:02 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Batman 3

Yeah and a magic chiropractor who can suddenly push Batman's spine back into him. Yay!
by Joe Pesci
Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:22 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Have most of the forum members dissappeared?

So I sniffed this place out for a while and realised that things have changed.

There's less negativity than before. Less bitching, it seems. Think i'll stick around for a while.

I'm sure you've all missed me, fellas.
by Clint
Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:48 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who is Online?

A fair few of them probably are bots but as I understand it our "Who is online"is not limited to real time activity.

If I had to guess I would say it displays all users over a time period of 1 hour or so which would make it possible for a single guest to be counted more than once. I could be wrong about that last thing though.
unless if they have a dynamic IP I don't think it would count them more than once, I know we have lots of lurkers though as every time someone signs up or an old member comes posts after being away for ages always starts with "I've been lurking" but you're probably right for it not being real time, I know when I sign out I'm noted as online for pretty long after, we probably have over 100 bots as well considering how they love this place or maybe they're just trying to unite with their master kiba :lol:

EDIT: ah I stand mistaken, as soon as I sign out I am counted as offline, I guess they fixed that

Coby had been "lurking" since 2004 :lol:
by ShOzO MiZuKi
Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:53 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Batman 3

Big rant coming this way...

I only have one question. Where is Christopher Nolan? I'd like to know so I can ask him who the fuck he thinks he is, and who he thinks Batman is, because I thought he had an idea. Now, I know he hasn't. Fair enough, his brother and Goyer have a lot to answer for as well, but let's have a look at a few things...

First off, Gotham in Batman Begins was perfect. What seems to have been overlooked is the fact that Gotham is a character of it's own. This shone through in Batman Begins. Hell, it even did in Burton's Batman films and Batman Forever (to an extent) This was dropped in The Dark Knight. I was hoping because Nolan wanted it to be seen less as Batman's turf and more like the Joker's playground. I always had that belief, and I thought it worked. Now, you could argue that it was a more realistic and regular city in TDKR because it makes it seem more shocking that he's doing this to a real city, but I don't believe that. The transition from BB to TDK & TDKR was "Gotham City" to "Random city called Gotham" to, well, the same again.

Onto the characters. Bane was brilliant. Fucking fantastic. Until the painfully obvious twist that it's in fact Talia's who's behind it all. I know it wouldn't be obvious to someone who doesn't read the comics, but I feel offended that as a reader of Batman comics that I've essentially been ignored as far as the "audience" goes. I kinda feel cheated too. So, if it's Talia's plan n everything, then Bane has once again been relegated to intimidating thug. Not the mastermind he actually is. Thanks guys, loved that.

I've heard a lot of both negative and positive shit about Catwoman, and all I can say is that the performance was great. It's probably the most faithful adaptation of any of the characters in the Nolanverse, so I applaud that. She was, as Bruce Willis once famously said "...[she's] a fly in the ointment [...], a monkey in the wrench, a pain in the ass..." No doubt that she's the most spot-on adaptation of a character they've picked. Except for the fact that she wants out. Catwoman would never want out. What she does is simply too much fun for her.

I wasn't at all happy with Blake. Like Ramirez should have been Montoya, and the guy from LA Noire should've been Bullock, he should've been someone else. The Question, Tim Drake, anyone. Random character with a quite frankly silly reference to Robin thrown in? No thank you. He wasn't a character that was needed, wasn't at all relevant. Catwoman could easily have filled in the role of someone who cares about the orphans and keeps her ear to the streets, and he could've just been a detective working alongside Gordon. His little pep talk to Bruce was shite as well. Whilst JGL put in a good performance, Blake just wasn't a good character at all, and I've seen too many of the exact same character model in the comics. I mean, for fuck sake, it would've made so much sense for him to be that little kid from Begins, but just a random character they've decided is going to be the next Batman? That's just fucking laughable. Wouldn't have made the ending what it is you say? Don't get me started. Not yet.

It just seems that, amidst all Nolan's bitching about what he would and wouldn't do, he's just made himself look like a massive tit. He doesn't want to use villains that've already appeared in a Batman film? Did he miss Batman Returns and Batman & Robin? He also said he wouldn't want to over-saturate the film with villains like they did in Spider-Man 3 because of what it'd take away from the focus of the story and other characters. So, what, other minor characters are okay to steal precious screen time? The number of utterly useless characters was a sheer joke, and I again feel like I've been cheated. Cheated out of seeing the film that I went to see. I only hope that Nolan's involved in a potential sequel just for the sake of getting the cast back together. Other than that, I say good riddance.

Alfred's characterisation got ballsed up too. Yes, he left during the KnightFall saga, but he realised (thanks to a little help from Nightwing) that he had to come back, and was wrong to leave Bruce. The fact that he left and only came back for Bruce's memorial is a slap in the face of one of comic book's greatest characters and unsung heroes. Fox had a role just as small and insignificant too. His involvement almost seemed forced. I know that in certain ways he's needed, but it felt like he, Alfred, and even Gordon at times were an afterthought. Almost as if Nolan was essentially just doin his own film, and just using Batman characters to fill in roles.

Combining the Lazarus Pit and Santa Prisca Prison was a pretty decent idea, I'll give them that. I don't like the fact that they replaced Bane with Talia as the little kid who grew up in the prison though. Yes, it made sense that it was Talia. I'm not arsed that it was Talia. I'm more arsed about it not being Bane. If anything, it should've been a case of Bane not wanting her to succumb to the same fate that he did, so he climbed out of it with her holding onto his back. They just took so much away from Bane that it was almost heartbreaking.

The ending... The ending spat in the face of Batman. They thought they were wrapping up the legend of Batman in a satisfying way. Yes, it is a satisfying way to wrap up the legend of Batman, but it wasn't right. Not at all. He did three things. Three huge things, but is that seriously it? This film would've been a great conclusion if it was a fifth, sixth, ninth, or tenth film, whatever. A great way to end an illustrious career as a hero/saviour/whatever, but seriously? That's it? And the point has been made on several occasions that Bruce Wayne is Batman until he dies. Not retire. Neil Gaiman wrote it quite well. He isn't just going to retire and spend the rest of his days playing golf. Death is the only natural conclusion for him, and then somebody (Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Damian Wayne, whichever) take over.

And how exactly do you expect to wrap up the (Bruce Wayne as) Batman legend without the Joker? Yes, Christopher, we all feel sorry for you that you lost a great friend in Heath Ledger. You think that we liked losing arguably one of, if not the best adaptation of the Joker? (I don't care what anyone says, Mark Hamill is good as the Joker, but Ledger took it to a whole other level) No, course we didn't, but it's something he needed to get over to give Batman a satisfying conclusion. Even if he was just let loose for the last half hour of the bomb's countdown to slow Batman down, he should've been there, and the fact that he wasn't just proves that the whole team behind the series lost their way.

The perfect solution to all the negativity would've been something Nolan didn't want. More films. Dent should've become Two-Face at the very end of TDK and carried over to a third film, as originally intended. Talia should've been introduced in the third film as a background character, to build up the grand reveal in the TDKR. You can't throw anyone off in the space of a film, it just doesn't work. Dick Grayson should've been involved, even if he was just Batman's eyes and ears on the streets. It should've been him to take over from Bruce in the end. Not some random arse character who's not even had any significant training outside the police academy. They just got so much shit wrong, and I blame us. The guys who praised BB & TDK. WB ended up putting too much faith in Nolan, almost as if he had free reign to do whatever he wanted.

Don't get me wrong, as far as films go, TDKR has a very good and very satisfying conclusion. But not for a Batman film. That ending would've worked well in a number of possible projects. Like I said though, it's almost as if Nolan had a film project in the works, and just applied Batman characters to it. Great, great ending. Wrong film. Besides that, it just reeked of the final episode of House.

I can't deny for a second though that I think the film was a clever mixture of The Dark Knight Returns, KnightFall, and No Man's Land. I thought it'd mainly be KnightFall, and I'm glad I was wrong. And the fanboy inside me couldn't help smiling this huge, cheesy grin when I saw Batman return in the first act. Actually, every time Batman was on screen, it was a great moment. I actually can't believe how well they did it, he had a hell of a lot more presence than he ever has done in any other film. Absolutely brilliant. Again though, as with every Batman film, he wasn't in it enough. It's almost as if people don't know how to make a film that focuses on Batman. Not Bruce Wayne, not the villains, not the supporting cast, I'm talking Batman.

The fight scenes also impressed me. I was very surprised that Nolan recognised that it's something he needed to work on (can't remember if it was Kenny, Joe Pesci, OL or Clint who mentioned how bad they were in the previous two) but I reckon he made up for it somewhat anyway. Loved how brutal Bane looked as well in the first fight with Batman. I woulda liked to have seen more damage on Bruce afterwards, that kinda disappointed me. The second fight didn't make much sense either. Bane almost seemed like he was pulling his punches. It would've made a hell of a lot more sense if they brought back the fear factor for Begins, set it at night, and Batman actually does put the fear of God into Bane through a mixture of his League of Shadows training and his old friends... Bats. Again, the fanboy inside me almost leapt for joy when the bats appeared as he crawled out of Santa Prisca, but I was hugely disappointed that they never expanded on the use of bats. Especially after how well they were used in BB, as they were completely absent from TDK. They shoulda used em more.

But yeah, there were plenty of absolutely brilliant moments in the film, and I wouldn't even consider calling it anything other than a really good film, but as the third Batman film in the Nolan series, it's shite. Like I said, it should've been Batman 5, 6, 9 or 10. The way I see it is that Begins was the best Batman film, TDK was the best film of the series, and TDKR as the best standalone film, whilst also being the worst in the series.

In conclusion, it would've been a brilliant ending to the Nolan series if more films preceded it, but they didn't, so as far as the over-arching story goes, the timing was woeful. It was rushed. Out of place. Whatever. It didn't work well like that. If you just ignore that though, and only take the in-film references into consideration, it was fucking fantastic, and a great amalgamation of three classic Batman stories.

So, whilst I'm distraught about the decision to cut everything so short in a manner such as this, I also come away from the film feeling that I got real value for money. Great film, but from the standpoint of a Batman fan(boy) and geek, totally and utterly wrong.

Rant over for now, but when I see it again, I'll probably have more to say. Oh, and somebody actually read this and reply to it, coz I've been typing this since I got back from the pictures and it'll otherwise seem like a massive waste of time.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying, when I left the cinema my face was pretty much like :| and it wasn't because I'd seen a bad movie, it's actually a pretty good movie, it's just not the Batman movie I wanted to see.

Aside from one or two of your points (namely the portayal of Gotham as a faceless city and other remnants of Nolan's realistic Batman universe) most of the movie's shortcomings are a direct result of too much being squeezed into one movie, an over-arching story as you put it.

This is actually my main gripe with this trilogy of Batman films. We got a wicked origin story in Begins, it wasn't perfect by any means but it was very competent, it was then followed up with a movie that pit a slightly more experienced Batman against his most dangerous antagonist, most people can agree that Dent was shoehorned in towards the end but it was still pretty smooth sailing in terms of structure.

Then we got Rises, a movie that started and ended with Batman's retirement, this means that aside from the time period after Batman Begins but before The Dark Knight we saw all the action Batman experienced.

That doesn't sit right with me.

When I think about Batman I think of the one from the comics, experienced and battle-hardened, a seasoned veteran, someone who had long since disgarded the idea of leading a normal life.

With it being the final chapter in this trilogy I expected that to be an issue, what I didn't fully count on was the amount of content that would be awkwardly shoehorned in, most noteably, Bane being reduced to a puppet sub-villain, I understand that they wanted to have a big reveal but this was misguided in so many respects.

At the very least they didn't have to include Talia/Bruce romance, it added nothing to the story and the time it did use could have been spent making the Selina Kyle romance seem less forced.

The John Blake character I'm pretty fine with overall, all I would have asked is a more logical reason for him to have worked out Batman's identity and for him to have been mentored in a slightly more traditional fashion.

All of that said there are quite a few things about this movie I did like, the performances all around were amazing, especially the newcomer's, the fight scenes were also a vast improvement, that first fight with Bane was amazing, you really felt that Bruce was helpless and the back break was perfect, much better looking than I expected. I want to see it again for that scene alone, plus at the end of the day it's still a Batman movie.
by Bambi
Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:43 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Guest
 
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

Nah, my dad lives on the east side (I'm on the west at the moment) knowing him he'll be "on time" I told him to be here 5 yours early, and since he's always late he'll get here in like 2. Right now I'm just bored because I'm wired even though its like 3am.

Plus i'm still putting music on my vita, can't leave without my KRS-One
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:03 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

Kenny wrote:I finally finished DEUX. For now.

It's got a more solid ending. At least when I came up with it and was writing it, it seemed solid. Now it's time to rewrite TECH, which is a fucking mammoth of a story compared to DEUX.

Image
by Bambi
Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:21 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: soccer

Spurs and Madrid have signed a 'partnership agreement'.

"The partnership agreement will see the two clubs working together in respect of players, coaching, best practices and commercial relationships."

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez said: "The strong relationship and affinity between our two clubs has resulted in the cementing of a longer-term partnership and the successful transfer of Luka Modric.

"We are delighted to welcome Luka and look forward to working closely with Tottenham in the coming years."

Levy added: "Luka has been a terrific player for us and, whilst we preferred not to part with him, we are pleased that it is to Real Madrid, a club with which we now look forward to sharing a long and productive partnership."

Translation? They get all our best players now rather than UTD?
by Who Really Cares?
Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:03 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

Think i am hitting the chippy. Got a mad craving for chips, beans and chicken nuggets for some strange reason. Oh and a pint of coke with a shitload of ice
by Peter
Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:00 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Organise Online Games Together

If anyone wants to just kill time hunting bears in RDR let me know.
by Who Really Cares?
Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:31 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Studying Abroad in London

avoid any hairdressers thats does 5£ cuts and you should be fine

Lies. I got a £5 haircut every time until I was about 17 and realized that the only thing better than £5 hair cut is cutting your own hair for free! Though it's true that I just used to get it shaved relatively short, and it's pretty hard to mess that up. They were OK enough with clippers, but I'm so sure I would have trusted them with a pair of scissors.

beckham hasn't been relevant in years no one cares what he does anymore

More lies! I want Becks to be the next Batman (seriously, he has the right face for it)! Unfortunately I'm pretty sure people still worship Beckham to an extent. Have you seen how many people now have that haircut?

I have a slight question to my fellow Brits in regards to this tutorial I'm working on which focuses on British stand up comedians & how they push moral boundaries through their comedy material. I also wrote that their comedic material is reflective of contemporary British culture. Would you guys give me some insight on whether or not this is true, and perhaps the kinds of comedians that reflect this thesis? I thought I'd use comedians that are pretty popular in the UK Gervais Minchin and Izzard, but if you can give me some other ones that might be better then I would appreciate it. General Information and wisdom can help too as to how I should build on this thesis

Is it reflective of contemporary British culture? Hmm, I guess, but does "British culture" even exist anymore, at least outside of small rural type towns anyway? There seems to be so many small fragmented cultures in most of Britain nowadays, and I don't think many really give too much of a shit about "Britian", which is kind of in contrast to how many Americans feel about their nation (hence all the "America- fuck yeah" jokes).

Though I think there probably is still something of British culture in there somewhere, especially in our humour. I guess British humour is more cutting and has more of a bite to it than than the humour in other places maybe because of the "banter" culture we have over here. It seems to me that while Americans and people from other nations appear happy to just enjoy someone's company in simplicity, us Brits seem to be obsessed with the art of banter, and verbally abusing our social peers in any way we can. That's why every pub worth it's salt is effectively a training ground in the art of banter. Our banter often straddles the line just between harmless fun and genuinely offensive abuse, and some do take things too far in the name of "banter". I think this is why your average Brit has a far more sutble and often cruel sense of humour in comparison to to say American's who haven't been through the rigorous banter training that we have.

The difference is also very visible on the net, compare your average British populated forum to an American one, you'll usually find banter at a far more advanced and nuanced level on the British forums, while the banter of American forums tend to be far more unpolished and basic, and there's usually less of it. For a comparison look at the Shenmue UK forums compared to here.

While I think this is probably a part of the reason British humour is so different (better) than American humour, I have to admit that I don't really like excessive British banter all that much. while I am somewhat indoctrinated in the art form, many take it too far and banter becomes an excuse for a personal insult (indeed, they are often one and the same). It can make some British oriented forums unnecessarily harsh and uninviting.
by mue 26
Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:10 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re:

Bluecast wrote:I boycott the whole idea of saying "I'm leaving" I'm back"

Just freaking go and shut up and when ready come back and post as normal.

Otherwise it's lame. IMO


Fucking lol
by QWERTY
Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:58 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I win I lose I win you win. I'm not Dave Chappelle

It's posting on a message board. Where, where does the stress come in? Stop surrounding yourself with drama.
by mrandyk
Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:38 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I win I lose I win you win. I'm not Dave Chappelle

Just let me know what you want to see and I will show it.

Penis, pls.

In all seriousness though, I know we've had our altercations over trivial forum shit but I'm glad you now have the opportunity to live a better life. Like Shozo said though, don't waste this opportunity on just hoarding games or material effects, if you're living on borrowed time then take every chance you come across to get out there and live. There's so much more to see and do in the world than sit around playing games and surfing interwebs. Get out there and experience what the world has to offer.
by QWERTY
Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:10 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I win I lose I win you win. I'm not Dave Chappelle

If you're sad enough to handout warnings and bannings like penny sweets, you're sad enough to make a bunch of stuff up to encourage sympathy from others.


Not to mention he is a proven liar with his fake coby accounts he made in previous months that he used to defend himself during the outing :lol:

No one is saying you are faking it, but it was right after you received our $500 that you started getting all these new systems and games. I believe you are sick, but maybe that money for rent you didnt think you were getting just came a bit late and the cash was just used for your collection.

The greatest thing is that we can actually call you out now for what you really are and you cant delete our posts or ban us for telling the truth. It's not that you "changed in a year and a half", you were always the same person that when given power you abused it and really hurt this site. Your "funny" 12 year old posts about dildo's and man boobs were always fine and dandy in general discussion but new members in the Shenmue forums that had questions were assaulted and flamed. It's no wonder people were scared to sign up or stay once they did.

You can play the sympathy card all you want, but at the end of the day everyone is forced to deal with the shit of life.. You just have to learn to man up and live a life..preferably one that also takes place outside of the living room on a couch in front of video games and a computer. Since you are so sick, you should really, honestly try to make the absolute best out of life. If you have so little time left try to experience the beauty in real people or the wilderness. Utah is a beautiful state maybe go on some tours and meet some people of the flesh.
by ShOzO MiZuKi
Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:05 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic
Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net