Search found 45 matches

Return

Re: I win I lose I win you win. I'm not Dave Chappelle

It's posting on a message board. Where, where does the stress come in? Stop surrounding yourself with drama.
by mrandyk
Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My Hotel Tonight Has an N64 Rental Service

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163/mrandyk/P3190101.jpg
I'm travelling all over the country on business, and have been to many cool places, but I just found my favorite hotel yet in the Holiday Inn Express in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Could not believe my eyes when I got into my room and this was waiting for me. It's not even like the hotel is outdated or anything either, it's very nice.

$7 per hour for games that came out in 2000 or earlier is a bit much, but I still had two hours of bliss playing Starfox, Excitebike, Mario Tennis, and a little Mario 64. 2013 and this still exists. Awesome.
by mrandyk
Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: My Hotel Tonight Has an N64 Rental Service

The analog stick felt like a virgin still. I hadn't had an N64 controller feel like that in many years, most of them are just garbage now. I think I would have been satisfied enough just feeling that stick.
by mrandyk
Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cliffy B backs Shenmue 3 & discusses funding...

These tweets look like they are from before Sony declaring their involvement financially. The Kickstarter will be a small fraction of the budget, but it is still a very important campaign because it will determine Yu's budget.
by mrandyk
Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $15million or bust Kickstarter instead of waterdown game

However the budget works out I am sure that Yu will deliver an experience that he will be proud to put his trademark on.
by mrandyk
Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your Reaction To The News of SIII Announcement?

I had a friend text me the news, and I was far to cynical to ever believe that this game was actually announced. After a brief period of rejoicing the euphoria wore off with the realization that a lot of work needs to be done in order for this to be the Shemue 3 we all want.
by mrandyk
Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Joel "red shirt" Tess Discussion Topic (Twitch)

One shot at Shenmue 3, and the budget is determined by this guy? Really puts a damper on everything when you have to wonder what could have been had a competent firm handled this campaign. It's hard to put into words how discontent I am over this. Shenmue 3 is announced and these guys have found a way to curb my elation. Unacceptable.
by mrandyk
Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: how much of yu suzuki's own money is going into this?

26 years with sega making games like Game director for Outrun, Hang On, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, Space Harrier, After Burner, F355 Challenge, and of course Shenmue. And has had a major role in a number of other titles.

incl arcade boards etc etc dude has millions no doubt at least 10+ mil easy
remmember sega was also big in arcades bag in the day yu was with them and working on the arcade boards inventing games etc
Sure he made millions at Sega, but would you like to guess what his income has been since taking a step away from the industry almost 15 years ago? Living any lifestyle isn't free, especially if Yu happened to be living large. It certainly is not a given that Yu is in a position to put a significant amount of funds into this game.
by mrandyk
Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What in the world happened with the KS today?

The question is "What in the world happened with the KS today?", and the answer seems to be "The team running the KS campaign is entirely inept, so donations are grinding to a halt". I would say it's rather on topic.
by mrandyk
Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 8-4 was going to work on the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

For some reason a lot of sega fanboys think Shenmue killed sega...

I'm not mad, this is a love or hate game.

But yeah, kinda mad.

One of the most revolutionary games EVER. WTF they really don't give a shit about gaming history ???
To blame Shenmue for Sega's demise is like blaming the child instead of the parent (plus ignoring close to a decade's worth of horrible business moves).
by mrandyk
Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Big update to the Kickstarter coming today!

Special edition Shenmue-themed PS4? They would sell about a thousand of those within minutes of an announcement.
by mrandyk
Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Big Update coming in the next 10 hours. Before ~8PM GMT.

Umbrellas? Must be adding rain to the game as a new stretch goal.
by mrandyk
Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: *sigh* Kotaku frontpage. Slow news day.

I hope Hulk Hogan takes Gawker and its subsidiaries down.
by mrandyk
Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The new trailer is bad ...

Yu said that gameplay footage won't be out until 2017. That should tell you what they are working with right now. They have nothing at all and quickly threw something together just to give people an image of Ryo and Shenhua created with modern software.
by mrandyk
Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3:My Final Thoughts

To recap:

Strike 1 - They never released Shenmue Online

Strike 2 - It's a niche franchise and he is upset it came back into the public eye

Strike 3 - Should have released the rest of the series as a manga instead

Strike 4 - Yu Suzuki is greedy and the project shouldn't have been kickstarted

Don't buy Shenmue III everyone.
by mrandyk
Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I'm skeptical of the December 2017 release date as well. I bet that in reality it ends up being a Summer 2018 release. Not because we aren't seeing much yet - we really shouldn't for quite a while - but because the 2017 target was surely an optimistic one that isn't likely to be met.
by mrandyk
Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

Shenmue 3 absolutely gets some time at E3, but I'm skeptical of a trailer being available - no need to give more raw tech demo trailers at this point as that would just hurt the hype. Perhaps a few still frames and a mention during Sony's keynote to keep the project in the public's mind and hopefully get some further donations.
by mrandyk
Sun May 15, 2016 9:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SEGA currently "investigating" making Shenmue 1/2 HD hap

it didn't sell well for a reason...

It was one of the few games on Dreamcast to sell over a million copies. It's not that it "didn't sell well," it's that it didn't - and mathematically couldn't - sell enough to recoup its exceptionally high development costs.

If it had been exclusive to any of the other three platforms of that generation and sold to the same percentage of its installed user base, it would have turned a profit. And I'm sure I don't need to point out how PlayStation 4 hardware sales compare with the Dreamcast's.

Shenmue isn't for everybody, then or now, but it's for a lot more people than it's often given credit for.
The data I see shows Shenmue 1 sold 1.2 million copies with 9.1 million Dreamcasts sold, meaning about 13% of Dreamcast owners bought the game - which is rather successful.

There currently (a full 18 months before release of Shenmue 3) are 40 million Playstation 4 units sold. Shenmue 3 needs to reach just 3% of that install base to sell 1.2 million copies, and that doesn't even include the PC platform and future PS4 sales. Should Shenmue 3 manage to get the adoption rate the first game had, an incredibly lofty expectation, it would sell between 5 and 6 million copies. In the end both games will be successful in their own rights.
by mrandyk
Mon May 30, 2016 7:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I read on the Dojo here somewhere that the future of Shenmue 4 is (surprise, surprise!) based on Shenmue 3's success. I'm not sure how true the information was but it went something like this:

*Shenmue 3 hits its mark of 1 million sales or more = Sega outright fund Shenmue 4 themselves.
*Shenmue 3 doesn't hit its mark of 1 million sales but is still a decent success = Sega will allow Yu Suzuki to do one more game to wrap the story up (via Kickstarter again).
*Shenmue 3 is a failure in terms of sales = Yu will have to finish the story by himself another way, be it through an animation or comic (guessing Kickstarter again).

Again I cannot place complete accuracy on this but I did read it here somewhere (apparently it was a translation of something Yu or Cedric said.)

I do believe getting those Shenmue remasters before Shenmue 3 is imperative to ensure a Shenmue 4, even if the above isn't entirely accurate.
I don't think they've ever spoken about "If Shenmue III does this amount, then Shenmue IV happens". 1 million sales is their goal, but I think Yu and Cedric both have refused to say whether that's any metric for the series to be continued. Though, I do think Cedric said their goal is to have the series continue after III without any Kickstarter financing.
It's a sliding scale I'm sure. The better Shenmue 3 sells the farther we get from having to do Kickstarter again and the bigger Shenmue 4 gets.
by mrandyk
Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue III made IGN's "11 Big Missing Games of E3 2016" video.
Yet again they have just made something up about Shenmue and thrown it out there...

https://youtu.be/nKq77DWofiQ?t=3m2s

"Come on Mr. Suzuki, let us know when we can go fishing again"... I have no idea how this site still operates lol. Who the fuck comes up with this shit! They obviously just read that Shenmue III might have some fishing, and thought... Right, Shenmue 1 and 2 must have as well.

I know its small, but damn I hate IGN lol. ( apart from naomi kyle ;) )
You don't recall pulling fish out of the pond first time you leave the dojo in Shenmue I?
by mrandyk
Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega Europe: Shenmue 1 and 2 remakes have our full atten

It's not a case of that at all. That's the problem, they are not "doing" anything. Almost a year and a half later. Looking into licences for 15 months? Justify it, please, because it's either a case of thay they are dragging their heels, or have no motivation to put the proper time and effort into getting this thing going.
I respectfully disagree, just because we can't see anything at the moment doesn't mean that Shenmue 1 and 2 HD aren't happening. We're at an unusual time; it's just as long from E3 2015 until Shenmue 3's planned release date in 2017. I don't expect any major announcements right now. I figure Sega will finally announce there plans once the release date for Shenmue 3 has been properly confirmed.
I agree. Shenmue 1 and 2 may be happening right now but it doesn't make sense to announce or release them until Shenmue 3 is on the horizon. Sega will be able to maximize their return if they are able to release the remasters once the Shenmue 3 hype train starts rolling in the months leading up to its release, which is still a year away if the December 2017 release date stands.
by mrandyk
Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Poll: Which platform will you be playing Shenmue III on?

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: The PS4 that I'll be buying with a copy of the game on release day.

Make sure to get your PS4 at least one day in advance so that you can have all the updates installed first.
by mrandyk
Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That sounds like a result of Google Translate. Did someone actually write that in English?
by mrandyk
Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Main Menu

I'd like to keep the 'bleep' sound you get when pressing start and selecting one of the menu prompts.

I also request that when starting up Shenmue 3 I get the VMU beep and Dreamcast start screen.
by mrandyk
Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

DoubleO_Ren wrote: I have a feeling Shenmue II will end up being the definitive Shenmue game, I think it will end up being better than 3. What do you guys think?

We basically have not even seen Shenmue 3 as of yet, I'll save my speculation on this for later.
by mrandyk
Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Shenmue 3 Until E3 2017!!!

Let's see them defend there being no substantial December update if it comes to pass.
I thought it was E3 '17 you were willing to wait until? Or was it March '17? I guess it's December now?

Look, you're just setting yourself up for outrage by putting an arbitrary date on when you expect something we have no way of knowing is coming. You're accelerating that date already too. Do you remember what I said the other day about confirmation bias?

Nope. You just think it's my deadline. My deadline is still E3 2017. I'm just mentioning the December update because I can predict that when nothing happens you all will defend it.
And we can all predict that you will be throwing unwarranted hissy fits from now until the game is ready for public critique.
by mrandyk
Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Guardian: The 42 most anticipated video games of 201

Sonoshee wrote:
Sony almost broke the internet when this long-awaited close to Yu Suzuki’s adventure trilogy was announced at E3 in 2015.

#-o :roll:

SURPRISE!
by mrandyk
Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How long have you been a Shenmue fan?

2005 or 2006.

I had played the Dreamcast just one time while it was still on store shelves. It was a demo at Toys r Us with either Crazy Taxi or Ecco the Dolphin to choose from. I was just blown away by Crazy Taxi. The music coming at you, the openness to the game and frantic gameplay, real world businesses being placed into a video game. I was only 9 years old at this time and had no ability to secure this new and exciting video game system, but the memories of Crazy Taxi would stick with me.

Flash forward 5 or 6 years to 2005 or 2006 and I spot a copy of Crazy Taxi at a pawn shop for $3. The memory of the one time I got to play it came flooding back, so I purchase the game with the intention of finding a Dreamcast later (found one for $20 with a controller and VMU a couple weeks later).

In the time between buying Crazy Taxi and actually getting a Dreamcast I was doing research to learn what other gems I had missed out on in the Dreamcast. I had never heard of Shenmue, but it consistently showed up on 'best of' lists for the Dreamcast, and came with the allure of the massive budget attached to the game. So once I was able to get a ride to the nearest second hand video game store (about 60 miles, a long ways for someone with no means of transportation) I picked up Shenmue, and NFL 2k2, to go with my copy of Crazy Taxi. Crazy Taxi was as incredible as I remembered it being years ago, but Shenmue quickly became my favorite. Straight away from that opening cutscene I was hooked. I had to avenge my father's death! My lust for blood would fall to the wayside as I became immersed in the world Shenmue provided though.

Needing to continue the series and living in the US, my options were to get an Xbox or find a copy of the European Dreamcast version online. The $40 I spent on the Dreamcast and few games was all I had money for, so the Xbox was out of the question. I found a torrent for Shenmue 2 online, but the 4 disc game had a file size of about 1.8 GB, and on my dialup connection I got download speeds of about 3 KB/s. Two agonizing months later my download completed and I had a whole new Shenmue experience to enjoy. A few years later I would purchase an Xbox 360 and the Xbox version of Shenmue 2.

So it's been about 11 years since I became a fan and 10 years since I began the wait for Shenmue 3. It's so surreal that a new chapter is looming on the horizon for this series that means so much to me.
by mrandyk
Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nintendo Switch

Once they gave 'Arms' a spotlight early in the conference I had to ask just what in the hell is going on? I expected so much more. It would have taken so little for me to pull the trigger and preorder one, but literally the only game out there is something I could get for a system I already have. $300 for the system and no game? Once I pick up a game and sales tax is added I'm going to be $400 in the hole. That's insane!

I think the Switch is a good concept. And given just how long Nintendo has had to focus on its launch I thought for sure they would knock it out of the park. What have your developers been doing the past two years? There hasn't been shit released on the Wii U in ages. What a joke. There is no way I'm buying this before 2018 unless they make a reflexive price drop like they did with the 3DS.

Also, paid online? That is a crime given the quality of Nintendo's online service this past decade. Can you imagine if the Wii or Wii U had paid online? I would have been livid if they tried to charge for the opportunity to play one of their six games that actually has online functionalities.
by mrandyk
Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There is not one problem with the Switch concept. It's a genius piece of hardware. However, it will have no games whatsoever at launch. Wait for a price drop or that killer app.
by mrandyk
Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wait, you pay tax over the initial 300 dollars the switch costs? Sorry I've never really understood the tax system in the states.
Any purchase at any retailer is going to come with sales tax added onto the bill in the US. I believe the amount of tax varies between the states, but in my state 6% is added onto every purchase. That makes a $300 console effectively cost $318 once tax is added.
by mrandyk
Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Playing the couple Neo Geo games I bought while on a long road trip with a friend was a very cool experience, but it leaves me wondering where the heck the Virtual Console is. We are nearly two months in here and there has been no word. I'm in love with the hardware of the Switch but it's always one step forward, two steps back with Nintendo. Never able to get anything completely right.

How was Nintendo so unprepared for the Switch launch? The Wii U was left for dead a long time ago, what have they been up to over there? They have my support, but it's frustrating at times.
by mrandyk
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

Until now Cedric and Suzuki have said that they are on schedule so I don't have any reason to think the contrary.
The lack of content shown is certainly a reason to believe this game isn't coming out in 6-7 months. Not definitive proof, but nothing is until the developer confirms a delay. And until they confirm the game is delayed they will give zero indication that they are not on schedule.
by mrandyk
Sat May 27, 2017 10:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What would make you not play the game?

Everyone here is probably a backer, someone who has already purchased the game. Why wouldn't you at least try a game you have paid for?
by mrandyk
Mon May 29, 2017 9:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What are you currently playing?

Life is Strange is a free download on PS4 this month. Have been interested for a long time.
by mrandyk
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Blizzard has Sonikku committed

We don't know each other, but just reading your well written post suggests that you are an intelligent individual who must be good at something and able to contribute to employers. I can't even begin to relate to the isolation and anxiety you are experiencing. All I have to offer is an assurance that you aren't worthless. Stay determined and find those first steps towards the life you desire.
by mrandyk
Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

YSnet aren't going to say where the money is from, so this is cyclical and pointless if you're not satisfied by valid suggestions made by other posters.

I know YSnet wont tell where the money is from. It was more of a rhetorical question. Brain storming.

What are the valid suggestions exactly? All I see is ppl belittling this one dude because he was concerned about the financial side.
I know its pointless. I didnt start it, I just made my statement but someone just had to come and start spewing nonsense and claiming they know what is truth and what is not.
YS never planned on releasing in 2017. It was either an overly optimistic estimate they used to help generate funds on Kickstarter, or the true estimate if only $2,000,000 was raised. I'm positive that from the start of development that 2018 was their true target, and all budgeting has been planned as such. There is no need to worry about a delay at this point because it does nothing to reflect on the current state of development.
by mrandyk
Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Reggie practically peed in Kintor's fruit loops this morning. :D I can't get my copy of Xenoblade quick enough!
Since you asked about my opinion, I think you're relying too much on some fairly shaky promises from Nintendo. Just look like 'Metroid Prime 4', except that you can't since Nintendo didn't reveal anything about the game, only its logo. Nintendo fans criticise other publishers for making announcements too early but they readily excuse Nintendo for exactly the same behaviour. This 'Metroid Prime 4' might as well not exist for all the information you have about it.
My god, enough with the system wars crap. Learn to enjoy everything that the industry has to offer and stop wasting time with the useless vitriol.
by mrandyk
Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Will Shenmue 3 Suck?

I wish there was an option between Suck and Not Suck.

With the limited team and limited resources there is just no way that this lives up to Shenmue 1 or 2, but I can't see YS putting out a "bad" game. I'm just thrilled for the opportunity to revisit the Shenmue universe and learn more of Ryo's tale.
by mrandyk
Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

Yeah. Two years in development and they haven't show much making us lose our minds.
I'm being pedantic, but we're not even at the point of the two year anniversary of the funding completing, let alone two years since development actually started in earnest.

Let's try and keep things in perspective.
Totally agree. Development didn't start until months after the KS announcement. Plus, if they are developing the game in the most efficient fashion (not wasting time putting together demo pieces) it becomes even more understandable why we have not seen anything substantial.

It's redundant, but patience is a virtue. Keep your anticipation in check until you are given a reason to become antsy.
by mrandyk
Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Switch or PSVR

One of my fave things in Zelda is when these dragons randomly showed up. I took a break form the game back in April so I don't know what they are. The other great thing about it is how you can solve a puzzle or a problem in almost unlimited amount of ways. It's completely up to the imagination of the player.
http://i.imgur.com/QCedTFy.jpg
I don't want to potentially ruin anything:
I still have no clue what I was supposed to do with those dragons. The one you posted is the one dragon I attempted to fight, and I couldn't figure out how to affect it.
by mrandyk
Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III flashbacks for a more compelling experience

A player could have gone through Shenmue 2 just fine without having played Shenmue 1. Flashbacks aren't necessary.
by mrandyk
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update #76: Say Hello to the Deep Silver Promotion Team

Can't help but to express my frustation. We are a few days away from what was the original Intended release date for this game when the Kickstarter ended and have yet to see a single glimpse of gameplay, in-detail scenario or even characters besides some random NPC.

My hype and overall expectations are reaching an all time low and I am beggining to forget about his game altogether.
Come on now. With the agile methodology, the game isn't fully polished until the final stages of development. They could show plenty now, but it would be rough and there would be plenty of placeholders, but dummies would take it for the final build. You can't exactly blame them for holding their cards close to their chest.
Exactly right. Save the gameplay footage for when it's ready to be shown. Anything less will result in more unnecessary rage.
by mrandyk
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update #78: Then, Now and Tomorrow

This interview has me thinking 2018 is off the table for the first time. I do enjoy the insight, but it sounds like development isn't as far along as anticipated. I could be wrong but the thought of something so integral to the game as the battle system still not having a concrete concept is concerning.
by mrandyk
Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

A lot of people calling this decision "admirable". My money says that Sega is too lazy to implement a time skip. They're adding zero features to the game that require any real work. It would be in everyone's best interest for them to add the time skip, but this is about getting some of the free money strolling by - not an attempt to help resurrect the series.

So getting shenmue 1 & 2 hd and being able to play it on pc and ps4 and whatnot is not enough...We've got nothing to complain about really, a couple of years ago the idea of shen 1 & 2 HD and s3 being released, let alone on the same year, seemed ridiculous...
I'm ecstatic that we're getting a physical release of Shenmue 1+2 on modern consoles. Just don't give Sega any credit for merely hopping on the gravy train. The fans and YS resurrected the series. Now Sega will cash in with a minimal effort.

I will play the hell out of this port, but I'm a fan of the original games already. Newcomers to the series will be looking to these ports to determine if they want to purchase Shenmue 3. The moment they are inundated with Shenmue 1's requirement of wasting time they will be turned off. That's a scenario that affects the future of Shenmue and should be a concern to everyone here.
by mrandyk
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic