Return

Re: Sega sure seems to really be popping them out now

Im still pretty optimistic about it.
by Axm
Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that pissed you off

@doubleO_ren ho's gonna ho, fuck that bitch if she got back so easily with him she was probably talking to him behind your back all the time, don't let yourself get too stressed out by someone who wasn't worth it I'm sure it won't be too hard to find someone with a little more loyalty than that

on another not I lost my passport and have to fly back to London now to get a new one, gonna be hard to adapt to the cold weather after finally getting used to the desert
by south carmain
Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If Shenmue III ended up on Kickstater, would you contrib

Bambi made this one some time ago.

by Ziming
Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD/3 Kickstarter

I want a kick starter to take every feminist and politician against vidya gaymz for idiotic reasons and take them all to Kennecott and bury them alive. What is that you ask? few mile wide and a mile or two deep hole in a mountain.
Did you just agree with me there? I can't tell lol
Same account different person and yes ;-)
by Bluecast
Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki Famitsu Article - Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $10 mill was never going to happen

This idea that everyone should donate said amount of money is a ridiculous one. If people are supporting with whatever they can, good on them. People need to stop stressing themselves out of the "what ifs" and just appreciate that we have Shenmue 3 now. PayPal after the Kickstarter is over is a possibility. So is Shenmue HD. I honestly am finding some of this talk about the Kickstarter really toxic (many times I've seen people on here just turn on each other and say some horrible or stupid things) and at this stage now, will be glad once it's all finally over, quite honestly.

People should just be happy, for fuck's sake. This is the best time for Shenmue fans... in almost 15 years. Get some perspective, people.
by Henry Spencer
Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!

Crying.... yep. Just like i was when Shenmue 3 was announced.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/Shenmue%203%20dinner_zpsnssnyjmg.png

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-07-03-17-11-23_zpsfisfrbbt.png

I'M GOING TO MEET YU SUZUKI IN MONACO!! FUCK!!
by Peter
Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Digital Foundry Retro: Shenmue 2 - A Masterpiece Revisited

phpBB [video]
by Raithos
Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Digital Foundry Retro: Shenmue 2 - A Masterpiece Revisit

Hope you guys enjoy some of it. I gave a shout out to this very forum since, really, this is THE place for Shenmue info. I'm amazed at how in-depth some folks have gone into pulling the game apart. It's awesome!

If I had time, I would have gone into more depth on emulation and, perhaps, point out more of those weird Xbox/DC differences (like all the modified signs and whatnot). Ah well.
by dark1x
Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Could anything beat Shenmue 1 & 2?

DoubleO_Ren wrote:
My question is could a game come out and top Shenmue 1 & 2 being your favourite game of all time?

Shenmue 3?
by Radar
Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's entirely possible for something to come along that could top Shenmue for me, but it won't be easy, nor do I see it happening any time soon. Shenmue has been my favourite game since completing it back in 2000, and while I've played an awful lot of games since then - Braid , Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater , BioShock , Tales of Vesperia , Fallout 3 , Dark Souls , and Bloodborne sticking out as some absolutely incredible titles - simply nothing has even come close to topping it.

I've gushed about my adoration for the game on here many times before, but the one thing I think all Shenmue fans will agree on is the seemingly unexplainable 'magic' running through the game, and that is one of the most important aspects in our love for it.
by ShenGCH
Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I started playing Yakuza to fill the void of Shenmue just because someone said they were similar.
Don't get me wrong, sometimes you get a bit of a Shenmue moment.. but I quickly found that I was enjoying the game on its own merit.
I got Yakuza 2, completed that and went out and bought a PS3 just for Yakuza 3,4 & 5.
I purchased a PS4 just for Yakuza 0.
Shenmue gave me a reason to try these games out but I never expected to fall in love with them in the same way.
I now look forward to Yakuza 6 just as much as Shenmue 3.
by jasonorme666
Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have pretty much the same feeling about Shenmue and the unique emotions the game made me feel.

The only games (although totally different games) I remember with the same fondness are ICO and Journey.
by Kiske
Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 trailer is FINALLY HERE!!

Can I just say, my 12 year old self who sat up playing Shenmue 2 when it first came out on DC (PAL) until 2 in the morning to get to the end of it is insanely happy right now to know that he will finally leave the cave.

:D

by ShenmueForeseen
Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Unlike Shenmue II it won't use the Virtua engine."

I think the old fighting system would age Shenmue 3 terribly.
I'd welcome a new system, look at the Batman Arkham games, the way you chain, block and counter attack is stunning to watch and flows beautifully.
It would be perfect for a martial arts themed game.

What? No, no, no, NO! They should stay as far away as possible from that awful system. One button to attack and one button to counter? It is beyond terrible. Shenmue I and II still have the best fighting system out of any adventure type game, it is definetly better than the Batman Arkham series. Having said that though, it seems like no game has quite got the art of combat down quite right. They're still far away from reaching the pinnacle.
by Shenmue_Legend
Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

As always, wait and see.

Yu has talked about deepening the RPG mechanics, and how learning moves through the story and earning them in the world (by money or other means, IDK) will play a part in progressing to (and I think these are his own words) beating a powerful boss.

Even ignoring what he's said about strategy and maybe a more cerebral approach to combat, that still doesn't sound like a giant win button.
by Spaghetti
Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sleeping Dogs fighting looks cool, especially the over the top enviromental attacks, but it's way to automated and routine. The slow motion is also too "oooh look" and breaks the flow a bit. In Shenmue there were always certain types of fighting styles the enemies would have but it was still much more diverse and natural feeling there.

The old fighting system isn't perfect either. There could definately be some improvement in the targeting and camera system. It's very reminiscent of a fighting game, wich is good in a challenging way, but it's sometimes a bit annoying to pull of some of the moves because you just need to find the right time to let an enemy let you do it.
So maybe just make things easier to pull of without making the enemies cannon fodder and give more control and feedback over who Ryo targets without "gamey" visual clues like arrows, glows or outlines.
by BlueMue
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I would be happy with a "prettier" and "simpler" system to be honest. I was never a huge fan of the technical difficulty of the previous games when it came to combat. Something with more of a flow would be great. I want to see Ryo kicking ass in a cool manner.

This is what I hope for. forget Arkham. This is what it should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cczaK6PA7Ng

Great, so a slightly better version of the Arkham games? No thanks. If you want to see Ryo "kicking ass in a cool manner" then with my idea of a combat system, you yourself would have to be skilled enough in order to do so. It's like in a fight, you wished you could beat 10 men or even beat a bully or something. You could wish all you want but in order to actually achieve it, you must be good enough. Same applies here.
by Shenmue_Legend
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The old engine afforded the player a lot of freedom, that's what I loved about it. I've played Yakuza and sleeping dogs and your options in a fight are limited, from what I can remember. It quickly became very bland and repetitive for me.

Don't get my wrong, you can spam your way through Shenmue's main story for the most part too (in fact, you probably wouldn't even have to use the dodge button until disc 3 of the second game) but the key word here is "can". You can also take the time to learn a variety of moves and fight your own way. Personally, I love using throw moves; machine gun fist, arm break fire, shoulder buster, etc. It feels really satisfying to pull these off in the heat of battle. My brother on the other hand didn't give a damn about the combat system and pretty mashed A until he met Baihu in disc 3 of Shenmue 2, to whom he lost to about 10 times in a row before he broke the disc in rage. It wouldn't be until the game came out on the original Xbox that I'd get the chance to finish it ;/

I'd love an advanced version of the old engine, if possible. If I could identify problems in the old engine, they would be as follows:

1. Dodging was a little overpowered. I'd like to see the A.I react and punish players for carelessly spamming dodges.

2. Melee battles made it hard to fight freely. By this I mean it was hard to choose moves with more difficult inputs because you'd often be interrupted before you could register them. This was largely down to a combination of the environments being too small to accommodate such battles and the A.I bum-rushing Ryo from every angle. I think it's telling how the best melee battle in the series is the 70 man battle. Why? Lots of space to fight and Ryo fights a few at a time.

One on one fights were handled well overall and allowed for much freedom of play. I didn't like the ring outs for the Rod and Greg fights, though, but that's another story.

I would love to see an animation change for moves as your skill increases, much like in Shenmue 1. Along with a chance to practice alone or with a sparring partner that you can actually hit (damn Jianmin ;/)
by Chaikilla
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Delay/Storyline speculation [Spoilers]

The key to guess where the story is going is in Shenhua's prophecy imo:

"He shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea,
A young man who has yet to know his potential,
This potential is a power that could either destroy him or realize his will ,
His courage shall determine his fate,
The path he must traverse, fraught with adversity, I await whilst praying,
For this destiny predetermined since ancient times ,
A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light,
And thus the saga… Begins…"

The bolded implying that Ryo needs to find a way to unlock his potential (some chinese sage? Shenhua?), which he has because he's some sort of "chosen one" predetermined since ancient times to (pure speculation begins now) defeat the demon Chi You or stop its resurrection. Shenhua's adoptive father speech also says Ryo is the one.

Which makes sense because unlocking his hidden power is the only way a kid can reach Lan Di's level of skill.
by Shenhua-Nani?
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

to whom he lost to about 10 times in a row before he broke the disc in rage. It wouldn't be until the game came out on the original Xbox that I'd get the chance to finish it ;/
Open or closed casket, or was it a cremation?

Well, Baihu gave my bro an old fashioned burial.

The disc, on the other hand, had an open casket. I guess we thought it'd work one day but it never did ;( he threw it across the room (and maybe stepped on it, I forgot) but it never physically broke in half or anything. Just a few scratches, lethal ones nonetheless.
by Chaikilla
Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think the old fighting system would age Shenmue 3 terribly.
I'd welcome a new system, look at the Batman Arkham games, the way you chain, block and counter attack is stunning to watch and flows beautifully.
It would be perfect for a martial arts themed game.

What? No, no, no, NO! They should stay as far away as possible from that awful system. One button to attack and one button to counter? It is beyond terrible. Shenmue I and II still have the best fighting system out of any adventure type game, it is definetly better than the Batman Arkham series. Having said that though, it seems like no game has quite got the art of combat down quite right. They're still far away from reaching the pinnacle.

I'd say Yakuza was the best.
And Shenmues fighting the best?.. come on.. I love Shenmue but it was horrible and clunky even back then.

I appreciate the reply man, thank you.

After reading all that it really sounds like Arkham and Sleeping Dogs like combat, yeah the combat in Sleeping Dogs is pretty but Shenmue had you feeling tense. It made you want to learn moves and practise so you can get better and utilize those moves in combat to make it easier. Catering to the Kyle Hilliard's (See Game Informer Shenmue/II Let's Play) of gamers sounds like a mistake, the people that just want to beat the bad guy instantaneously without any skill or training. Yes games should be fun but part of the thrill, part of that fun is that feeling you get when you put in the work, trained learned some combo's and use it to beat that difficult boss finally, that's all part of the fun. It gives you an amazing feeling of accomplishment and let's you feel more immersed in the world especially when it's not a retry and you have to find those bad guys again as a result of your failure and Shenmue is all about that kind of immersion.

I felt Arkham combat to be far more tactical than Shenmue, it was simple (which I feel is right up Yu's alley) but was all about mastering timing.
Shenmue combat was just button mashing, I don't think I've ever had to repeat a battle maybe with the exception of a couple in Shenmue 2.
Training was never really important and since you never knew when a battle was going to take place (unless your 2nd playthrough) you never had to focus on getting better.. you just kept repeating the same battle but finding 1 move to exploit.

What? Yakuza has a reptitive and boring combat system. It is actually just button mashing, which Shenmue is definetly not (I don't know what game you played, but Shenmue's combat system is definetly not just "button mashing"). Also, the combat of the Batman games is "far more tactical"? No, absolutely not. The Batman games have ONE button to attack (unless you count the Cape stun, which I'm not) and ONE button to counter, it's like it was designed for babies. Compared to Shenmue where you don't just mash one button to attack, you actually have to input different commands for different attacks. Unlike in the Batman games, you actually have a large variety of attacks at your disposal (and it actually requires skill to pull them off, whereas in the Arkham series you just keep pressing one button and see Batman execute other attacks without you having to put any effort into it). In addition to this, Shenmue has dodges, counters, throws AND throw teching. Now please tell me how it is more tactical?
by Shenmue_Legend
Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favourite lines of dialogue in the game(s)?

My favorite by far is
Chai via phone: "Nyyyyyeeeeeeehehehe! Terry's waiting!"
Ryo: "Who is this?"
:rotflmao:
They definitely stole that from here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=payDsNKcRKQ

Anyway, if I really have to choose one...
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Hh7lXKUkS5k/hqdefault.jpg
by Niowiad
Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another favourite of mine is when, after receiving Fuku-san's life savings, a frustrated Ryo comes out with: "Argh, that's still not enough!".

Although this is purely a frustrated response, I'm just amused by how ungrateful he sounds.
by SickOctopus
Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Oh God, these are great! :D

'mue:

Ryo: "Don't you know that blackmail is waaaaaaay uncool?"- The way Corey's voice just dips for a second has always had me rolling. :rotflmao:

(paraphrasing here)
Shozo Mizuki: "Eh? what is it youngin'?"
Ryo: "Do you know any place where I can get a job around here?"
Shozo: "Do I look gainfully employed to you?"

:rotflmao:

Nagai Industries Doorman: "Huh? You shut up. If you don't shut up, I'll make sure you do!" (again, paraphrasing)

Ryo: "Excuse Me."
Nagai Industries Guy Inside: "Son, I don't know what's got you in a rush/others, but never stray off... the right path!"
Ryo: "Yes sir."
Nagai Guy: "That's a good answer kid!"

Ryo: "Um..."
Girl: "Huh?" Whatcha want, twit? Ok bastard!"
Ryo: "Excuse me."
Girl: "Huh? I'll slap ya silly, ya pansy!"

'mue II

I can go on for even longer with these, but I'll just go with my favourite funny and favourite serious.

Guixiang: "Why did you save me?"
Ryo: "Why? Wouldn't anyone?"
Guixiang: " Do not hesitate to do the right thing. "

I've moulded my life on the line from Guixiang; it has helped me out of many a sticky situation.

Ryo: "Is it a crow?"
Ren: "Idiot! What crow talks?! And who keeps a crow in a cage?!"

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
by Truck_1_0_1_
Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"Yeahhhhhhlalalalahahhhhh heghhhhhh!"- Chai

"If I were Lan Di, you'd be dead by now"- Xiuying
by Chaikilla
Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 2 - Game Informer Super Replay

When you're trying to follow the dialog and your buddy presses "skip":

by Let's Get Sweaty
Sun May 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic