Search found 406 matches

Return

Re: Favourite lines of dialogue in the game(s)?

Jiu-jitsu, never heard of it" - Jianmin
by Bambi
Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #74 - Gamescom Travelogue

Saw this on Corey Marshall's Facebook.
by Bambi
Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Possible that one final FREE sequence was cut?

Hadoken Hazuki wrote:Perhaps the team felt that the slower pace would've killed the building momentum of the story at that stage.

This is the most likely reason, a bit of a shame really as the people who made it to that point would have grown to accept the pacing for what it is.
by Bambi
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to Change Someone's Mind?

Tell them it's about a grieving son on a mission to avenge a man who emotionally blackmailed him into eating vegetables.
by Bambi
Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Set my alarm this morning to book tickets for the midnight screening, now to arrange the time off work and a babysitter. 8-[
by Bambi
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I only just got around to watching this, I missed the initial release and the early impressions from my mates and people online put me off seeing it in the end.

I know a lot of people are pissed off but I enjoyed it immensely, I thought it was going to be a by the numbers palette swap of the original trilogy with better effects but I really appreciated having my expectations subverted.

There was a couple of things that are almost universally disliked; force Leia and the codebreakert subplot. The Leia thing definitely didn't need to happen so I didn't spend too long thinking about that. The codebreaker subplot is a bit more tricky as I think it does serve a few purposes.

I liked that the traditional gung-ho hail Mary plan failed, I like that as an arc it helped Finn develop from a terrified runaway into a real member of the resistance and yes I even liked the bit with the kids. In an ideal world I think that subplot required a re-write, one that incorporates the above but in a more concise manner.

In terms of what I liked about it there was too much for me to go into detail about, I am genuinely surprised by how many fans didn't like the movie, I know better than to argue with SW fans but the same people I spoke to that criticised Force Awakens for being too familiar in theme and structure are now complaining this is too alien.

Hard to say where history will land on this one, I remember being told that Empire had a significant amount of backlash from fans in its day. I suppose at the end of the day it's not really our Star Wars anymore, I'll find out what my son makes of it when he's old enough to watch these movies.

This video did a decent job of summarising what I liked about TLJ, it's worth a watch even if you don't agree with it.

https://youtu.be/VbHUJEH-ERI
by Bambi
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm in a minority.

As a Star Wars fan who actually likes Star Wars (shocking, I know), I ate up the original trilogy, prequels and EU but upon seeing TFA I absolutely hated it. Aside from a few aspects I liked (a female lead, Kylo) the whole thing felt incredibly safe and uninspired. I got the impression that this sequel trilogy was going to be a soft remake of the original trilogy while heavily placating the portion of the fan-base that can't quite seem to accept anything outside of IV-VI.

But then I saw TLJ and I absolutely loved it. Rian's bold take on this film saved this new trilogy for me and I cannot get enough of this sequel trilogy now.
I'm in a similar camp (not a fan of the prequels for the most part) I enjoyed the same aspects of TFA as you but ultimately felt like it was going to be quite a cyclical trilogy. I'm pretty sure the fan backlash will force (no pun intended) the next film to be RotJ: The Next Generation and whilst I find that a bit disappointing I will always feel pretty happy that I got TLJ.
by Bambi
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

I can see why quite a few people choose colorful text. The grey on grey isn't the best. What if I typed in purple?
I used to use a light green text like this which is what the forums here had circa 2003 but it doesn't show up well on Tapatalk which is what I use to access the forum on my phone. :cry:
by Bambi
Wed May 02, 2018 1:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

When that Steam wishlist email appears...

by Bambi
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Latest Purchases

Golden circle tickets for this. I can see why the concept of paying to be at the front pisses some people off though.
by Bambi
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

Was going through an old HDD today and I found a backup of these forums from early 2004 when loads of drama was kicking off. :lol: Reading through it makes me laugh now but it all seemed so important at the time.
by Bambi
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What games are you playing?

Anyway been replaying Resident Evil 2 and actually got my first A rank as Leon (finished Claire A scenario with a B rank) and in turn unlocked 4th Survivor (where you play as HUNK) which is real fun and a cool extra where Zombie Brad appears outside the Police Station. Just finishing it all reminded me of why it's one of my favourite games of all time and makes me even more excited for the reimagining (which I was initially disappointed about being TPS and not having cinematic cameras like REmake).

Also led me to play RE5 again which I hadn't played since release almost a decade ago. Loved it upon release date and lived up to my hype after RE4 blew me away. So it's nice to return to these games again and find they're still so great. The combat for me is the most refined in the series, yes, including RE6, which tried to take the series into new territory (more towards even more action focus with melee counters, quickdives, dual wielding and beat 'em up elements). Not that RE6 combat was bad or anything, but RE5 just hit that sweet spot between staying true to being the action adventure game whilst refining what made RE4 so great in the first place. I feel that RE5 is greatly underrated by the fanbase despite it being a clear attempt by refining what people loved about RE4's aesthetics and gameplay mixed with trying to stay more true to the "RE mythos", as it were, since RE diehard fans complained about how RE4 "betrayed" the story canon by changing everything up. Also the co-op aspect is fine by me too, Sheva's AI is better than what people were moaning about back then too, her AI was programmed smartly to get you out of hot spots (heal, revive, take out the enemies gathering around you etc) and the boss encounters are great as well. Such a great game, screw the haters.

It also makes me know that the RE2 Remake is in great hands, since the Director is actually Yasuhiro Anpo, who was the director of RE5 and lead programmer of RE2 (and a member of the Onimusha team, working as a Planner and Lead Programmer on those games also). So his credentials check out, out of the remaining members of the Resident Evil team, I think the RE2 Remake is in good hands with him at the helm.
Weird timing! I just dug out a couple of RE posts we made in this topic in 2011.

Finished RE1: Director's Cut (which I had never played before; arrange mode is really cool) & Resi Evil 4 (PSN "HD" version, which is basically a port of the Wii version) clocking in at 15 hours and gave Mercenaries a quick whirl. Great games, forgot how great they really are actually. Now I'm playing RE2: Dual Shock Edition and just completed Leon A [which gave me infinite rocket launcher and infinite chaingun!!!], now onto Claire B. Resi Evil 2 is still my fave in the series.
I always found it strange that Claire A - Leon B is the "canon" version of events, pretty much everyone I know played it the other way around, especially with Leon's disc being the first one.

I love the old Resident Evil games, I have fond memories of playing the first game on the Sega Saturn, my friend and I were so scared that we boarded up my door with some furniture and insisted my dog stayed in the room to protect us.

I got the second game when it was first released, it was easily my favourite, a friend of mine still does speed runs of it every now and then. I'm sure that I got Nemesis on release as well but I only completed it once, which is pretty weird considering I've bought all the ports of it, essentially I've bought the same game three times and only really played it once.

I loved Code Veronica though, I did "knife only" runs for huge portions of it, I never quite understood why it wasn't a numbered game, I remember reading something about keeping the numbered titles on the Playstation or something...

After that I sort of lost interest in console gaming and while I did buy a Gamecube exclusively for the Resident Evil remake and Zero, I never really played them properly, which is a real shame as I've since watched friends play them through and they look great.

Anyways, here endeth the diatribe.
https://i.imgur.com/mcOXaE4.png

A mere 7 years later and I'm finally going for it with REmake!

This game is brilliant, I'm genuinely creeped out the entire time I'm playing it and a couple of the scares got me good. :oops:

Definitely no need for me to take a "what RE character are you?" quiz.

https://i.imgur.com/z8DFkph.png
Relatable.
by Bambi
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Bambi
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:29 am

Jump to topic

Re: Concerns about Shenmue HD.

Not really, but the negative impression for failing to adapt modern standards such as a 16:9 aspect ratio will definitely have people talking negatively about Shenmue, which is much worse than if the remake just got a "neutral" reception. Shenmue has a reputation for pushing technical boundaries at the time it was released so the least thing you could expect for a "remastered" version is to be modernized for modern aspect ratios.
I think it's important to bear in mind that Shenmue III isn't happening because of newcomers, it's the result of a passionate but relatively small fan-base that refused to stop asking about it and when presented with the opportunity to help donated generously.

Shenmue does not and will never have the biggest most commercially attractive audience, I wouldn't worry about what impact reviews of the re-release will have on the future of the series. I certainly don't agree that it's worse than nothing, even an up-scaled port with a less desirable aspect ratio will give people a solid introduction to the series.

It has a lot going for it, name recognition as a (not so hidden) gem, it's available across a good number of platforms and is priced well. I certainly think it's a better accompaniment than Shenmue The Movie was when the second game got ported to the Xbox.

If you don't believe that then I think we'll have to chalk that up to a fundamental difference of opinion. Personally I'm looking forward to being able to play my favourite games without worrying about buying a 4th Dreamcast.
by Bambi
Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic