Search found 376 matches

Return

Re: Help with non-copyrighted Images

I applied for a Capital One Journey Card and they're giving me the option of uploading my own photos to put for the design of the card. Does anyone know where I can maybe get non-copyrighted images of Shenmue? Trying to find a loophole :rotflmao:

I'd go ahead and just send them a regular piece of Shenmue artwork and see what they say about it.

If not there's a great range of fun fanart online, I like this one.

http://i.imgur.com/1YqvO.png

deviantART link.

Also I like your signature. :lol:
by Bambi
Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:30 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nominate a new name for shenmuekidsx

^ Good to see you back.

Yama wrote:Terry of Yokosuka

When he speaks, he means what he says.
by Bambi
Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:37 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Last thing you bought (No food, drinks or drugs)

http://i.imgur.com/Ycb9w.jpg

I tend not to buy graphic novels because of the price but I picked these up for £20 at a car boot sale this morning. With the exception of The Dark Knight Returns none of them have any kind of shelf wear and because I've read all the stories before they will probably stay that way.

http://i.imgur.com/X9HQP.jpg

I also bought this for £6 while I was there, I had one when I was a kid, it was awesome then and it's awesome now. I don't think I've seen a decent radio control car in years. I scared the shit out of my dog testing this, I think I'll probably give it to my nephew so that he can appreciate it like I did.

Superdry ebay store?
Thanks for the tip, I actually like the clothes but the price has always turned me off buying them.
by Bambi
Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:25 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things That Made You Laugh Today

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQwpGL473SA[/youtube]
by Bambi
Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:32 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What does the Dojo drive?

Who Really Cares? wrote:Same here, got the train during the winter and used my bike during the summer but so much more opens up to you once you can drive.

Between lessons, tests, cars, taxes and insurance it seems the only thing I'll be opening is my wallet. :lol:
by Bambi
Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:51 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Image

This is some cool parenting.

Yama wrote:Awesome article on a severely underrated series:

http://lparchive.org/D-and-D2/

Nice article, I actually bought Enemy Zero and D a while back but I haven't had the chance to play them yet.
by Bambi
Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:35 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that pissed you off today

south carmain wrote:wow hell's angels are taking a lot of initiatives to secure potential future members

Image
by Bambi
Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:48 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that pissed you off today

Moment thug was filmed punching woman, 18, so hard she's now crippled yet prosecution blunders mean he'll NEVER face court

http://i.imgur.com/l5op6.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2191479/Thug-crippled-young-woman-18-unprovoked-attack-walks-free-CPS-error.html

Hate the paper itself but it's the only article I could find with a video.

I was having a good day until i saw that. Cheers.
http://i.imgur.com/2Hmyr.jpg

I'll leave this here in the hope that it helps restore some of your faith in humanity.
by Bambi
Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:45 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Dojo Hosting (Please Support Us!)

Donated $10.

MiTT3NZ wrote:Still aint gonna donate to yur Bane costume.

myshtuff wrote:Image
And you'll never have to.

:rotflmao:
by Bambi
Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:05 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Help fighting Eileen/Izumi

wude wrote:lol, not in kof or mugen though, they are pretty good

http://snk.wikia.com/wiki/SNK_Boss_Syndrome
by Bambi
Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:44 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

OL wrote:Well I got engaged a few days ago. So that's a thing.

Congratulations! :D What type of ring did you end up going with?
by Bambi
Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:18 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things That Made You Laugh Today

Who Really Cares? wrote:Watching the South Park episode with the Russel Crow show :lol:

Fighting Round the World!
by Bambi
Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:31 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Batman 3

Big rant coming this way...

I only have one question. Where is Christopher Nolan? I'd like to know so I can ask him who the fuck he thinks he is, and who he thinks Batman is, because I thought he had an idea. Now, I know he hasn't. Fair enough, his brother and Goyer have a lot to answer for as well, but let's have a look at a few things...

First off, Gotham in Batman Begins was perfect. What seems to have been overlooked is the fact that Gotham is a character of it's own. This shone through in Batman Begins. Hell, it even did in Burton's Batman films and Batman Forever (to an extent) This was dropped in The Dark Knight. I was hoping because Nolan wanted it to be seen less as Batman's turf and more like the Joker's playground. I always had that belief, and I thought it worked. Now, you could argue that it was a more realistic and regular city in TDKR because it makes it seem more shocking that he's doing this to a real city, but I don't believe that. The transition from BB to TDK & TDKR was "Gotham City" to "Random city called Gotham" to, well, the same again.

Onto the characters. Bane was brilliant. Fucking fantastic. Until the painfully obvious twist that it's in fact Talia's who's behind it all. I know it wouldn't be obvious to someone who doesn't read the comics, but I feel offended that as a reader of Batman comics that I've essentially been ignored as far as the "audience" goes. I kinda feel cheated too. So, if it's Talia's plan n everything, then Bane has once again been relegated to intimidating thug. Not the mastermind he actually is. Thanks guys, loved that.

I've heard a lot of both negative and positive shit about Catwoman, and all I can say is that the performance was great. It's probably the most faithful adaptation of any of the characters in the Nolanverse, so I applaud that. She was, as Bruce Willis once famously said "...[she's] a fly in the ointment [...], a monkey in the wrench, a pain in the ass..." No doubt that she's the most spot-on adaptation of a character they've picked. Except for the fact that she wants out. Catwoman would never want out. What she does is simply too much fun for her.

I wasn't at all happy with Blake. Like Ramirez should have been Montoya, and the guy from LA Noire should've been Bullock, he should've been someone else. The Question, Tim Drake, anyone. Random character with a quite frankly silly reference to Robin thrown in? No thank you. He wasn't a character that was needed, wasn't at all relevant. Catwoman could easily have filled in the role of someone who cares about the orphans and keeps her ear to the streets, and he could've just been a detective working alongside Gordon. His little pep talk to Bruce was shite as well. Whilst JGL put in a good performance, Blake just wasn't a good character at all, and I've seen too many of the exact same character model in the comics. I mean, for fuck sake, it would've made so much sense for him to be that little kid from Begins, but just a random character they've decided is going to be the next Batman? That's just fucking laughable. Wouldn't have made the ending what it is you say? Don't get me started. Not yet.

It just seems that, amidst all Nolan's bitching about what he would and wouldn't do, he's just made himself look like a massive tit. He doesn't want to use villains that've already appeared in a Batman film? Did he miss Batman Returns and Batman & Robin? He also said he wouldn't want to over-saturate the film with villains like they did in Spider-Man 3 because of what it'd take away from the focus of the story and other characters. So, what, other minor characters are okay to steal precious screen time? The number of utterly useless characters was a sheer joke, and I again feel like I've been cheated. Cheated out of seeing the film that I went to see. I only hope that Nolan's involved in a potential sequel just for the sake of getting the cast back together. Other than that, I say good riddance.

Alfred's characterisation got ballsed up too. Yes, he left during the KnightFall saga, but he realised (thanks to a little help from Nightwing) that he had to come back, and was wrong to leave Bruce. The fact that he left and only came back for Bruce's memorial is a slap in the face of one of comic book's greatest characters and unsung heroes. Fox had a role just as small and insignificant too. His involvement almost seemed forced. I know that in certain ways he's needed, but it felt like he, Alfred, and even Gordon at times were an afterthought. Almost as if Nolan was essentially just doin his own film, and just using Batman characters to fill in roles.

Combining the Lazarus Pit and Santa Prisca Prison was a pretty decent idea, I'll give them that. I don't like the fact that they replaced Bane with Talia as the little kid who grew up in the prison though. Yes, it made sense that it was Talia. I'm not arsed that it was Talia. I'm more arsed about it not being Bane. If anything, it should've been a case of Bane not wanting her to succumb to the same fate that he did, so he climbed out of it with her holding onto his back. They just took so much away from Bane that it was almost heartbreaking.

The ending... The ending spat in the face of Batman. They thought they were wrapping up the legend of Batman in a satisfying way. Yes, it is a satisfying way to wrap up the legend of Batman, but it wasn't right. Not at all. He did three things. Three huge things, but is that seriously it? This film would've been a great conclusion if it was a fifth, sixth, ninth, or tenth film, whatever. A great way to end an illustrious career as a hero/saviour/whatever, but seriously? That's it? And the point has been made on several occasions that Bruce Wayne is Batman until he dies. Not retire. Neil Gaiman wrote it quite well. He isn't just going to retire and spend the rest of his days playing golf. Death is the only natural conclusion for him, and then somebody (Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Damian Wayne, whichever) take over.

And how exactly do you expect to wrap up the (Bruce Wayne as) Batman legend without the Joker? Yes, Christopher, we all feel sorry for you that you lost a great friend in Heath Ledger. You think that we liked losing arguably one of, if not the best adaptation of the Joker? (I don't care what anyone says, Mark Hamill is good as the Joker, but Ledger took it to a whole other level) No, course we didn't, but it's something he needed to get over to give Batman a satisfying conclusion. Even if he was just let loose for the last half hour of the bomb's countdown to slow Batman down, he should've been there, and the fact that he wasn't just proves that the whole team behind the series lost their way.

The perfect solution to all the negativity would've been something Nolan didn't want. More films. Dent should've become Two-Face at the very end of TDK and carried over to a third film, as originally intended. Talia should've been introduced in the third film as a background character, to build up the grand reveal in the TDKR. You can't throw anyone off in the space of a film, it just doesn't work. Dick Grayson should've been involved, even if he was just Batman's eyes and ears on the streets. It should've been him to take over from Bruce in the end. Not some random arse character who's not even had any significant training outside the police academy. They just got so much shit wrong, and I blame us. The guys who praised BB & TDK. WB ended up putting too much faith in Nolan, almost as if he had free reign to do whatever he wanted.

Don't get me wrong, as far as films go, TDKR has a very good and very satisfying conclusion. But not for a Batman film. That ending would've worked well in a number of possible projects. Like I said though, it's almost as if Nolan had a film project in the works, and just applied Batman characters to it. Great, great ending. Wrong film. Besides that, it just reeked of the final episode of House.

I can't deny for a second though that I think the film was a clever mixture of The Dark Knight Returns, KnightFall, and No Man's Land. I thought it'd mainly be KnightFall, and I'm glad I was wrong. And the fanboy inside me couldn't help smiling this huge, cheesy grin when I saw Batman return in the first act. Actually, every time Batman was on screen, it was a great moment. I actually can't believe how well they did it, he had a hell of a lot more presence than he ever has done in any other film. Absolutely brilliant. Again though, as with every Batman film, he wasn't in it enough. It's almost as if people don't know how to make a film that focuses on Batman. Not Bruce Wayne, not the villains, not the supporting cast, I'm talking Batman.

The fight scenes also impressed me. I was very surprised that Nolan recognised that it's something he needed to work on (can't remember if it was Kenny, Joe Pesci, OL or Clint who mentioned how bad they were in the previous two) but I reckon he made up for it somewhat anyway. Loved how brutal Bane looked as well in the first fight with Batman. I woulda liked to have seen more damage on Bruce afterwards, that kinda disappointed me. The second fight didn't make much sense either. Bane almost seemed like he was pulling his punches. It would've made a hell of a lot more sense if they brought back the fear factor for Begins, set it at night, and Batman actually does put the fear of God into Bane through a mixture of his League of Shadows training and his old friends... Bats. Again, the fanboy inside me almost leapt for joy when the bats appeared as he crawled out of Santa Prisca, but I was hugely disappointed that they never expanded on the use of bats. Especially after how well they were used in BB, as they were completely absent from TDK. They shoulda used em more.

But yeah, there were plenty of absolutely brilliant moments in the film, and I wouldn't even consider calling it anything other than a really good film, but as the third Batman film in the Nolan series, it's shite. Like I said, it should've been Batman 5, 6, 9 or 10. The way I see it is that Begins was the best Batman film, TDK was the best film of the series, and TDKR as the best standalone film, whilst also being the worst in the series.

In conclusion, it would've been a brilliant ending to the Nolan series if more films preceded it, but they didn't, so as far as the over-arching story goes, the timing was woeful. It was rushed. Out of place. Whatever. It didn't work well like that. If you just ignore that though, and only take the in-film references into consideration, it was fucking fantastic, and a great amalgamation of three classic Batman stories.

So, whilst I'm distraught about the decision to cut everything so short in a manner such as this, I also come away from the film feeling that I got real value for money. Great film, but from the standpoint of a Batman fan(boy) and geek, totally and utterly wrong.

Rant over for now, but when I see it again, I'll probably have more to say. Oh, and somebody actually read this and reply to it, coz I've been typing this since I got back from the pictures and it'll otherwise seem like a massive waste of time.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying, when I left the cinema my face was pretty much like :| and it wasn't because I'd seen a bad movie, it's actually a pretty good movie, it's just not the Batman movie I wanted to see.

Aside from one or two of your points (namely the portayal of Gotham as a faceless city and other remnants of Nolan's realistic Batman universe) most of the movie's shortcomings are a direct result of too much being squeezed into one movie, an over-arching story as you put it.

This is actually my main gripe with this trilogy of Batman films. We got a wicked origin story in Begins, it wasn't perfect by any means but it was very competent, it was then followed up with a movie that pit a slightly more experienced Batman against his most dangerous antagonist, most people can agree that Dent was shoehorned in towards the end but it was still pretty smooth sailing in terms of structure.

Then we got Rises, a movie that started and ended with Batman's retirement, this means that aside from the time period after Batman Begins but before The Dark Knight we saw all the action Batman experienced.

That doesn't sit right with me.

When I think about Batman I think of the one from the comics, experienced and battle-hardened, a seasoned veteran, someone who had long since disgarded the idea of leading a normal life.

With it being the final chapter in this trilogy I expected that to be an issue, what I didn't fully count on was the amount of content that would be awkwardly shoehorned in, most noteably, Bane being reduced to a puppet sub-villain, I understand that they wanted to have a big reveal but this was misguided in so many respects.

At the very least they didn't have to include Talia/Bruce romance, it added nothing to the story and the time it did use could have been spent making the Selina Kyle romance seem less forced.

The John Blake character I'm pretty fine with overall, all I would have asked is a more logical reason for him to have worked out Batman's identity and for him to have been mentored in a slightly more traditional fashion.

All of that said there are quite a few things about this movie I did like, the performances all around were amazing, especially the newcomer's, the fight scenes were also a vast improvement, that first fight with Bane was amazing, you really felt that Bruce was helpless and the back break was perfect, much better looking than I expected. I want to see it again for that scene alone, plus at the end of the day it's still a Batman movie.
by Bambi
Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:43 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Song Are You Listening To Now?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_JnCWT-_O8[/youtube]
by Bambi
Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:23 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

Kenny wrote:I finally finished DEUX. For now.

It's got a more solid ending. At least when I came up with it and was writing it, it seemed solid. Now it's time to rewrite TECH, which is a fucking mammoth of a story compared to DEUX.

Image
by Bambi
Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:21 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Games/Systems/Peripherals you recently bought

http://i.imgur.com/YVumj.jpg

Wrath of the Lich King Collector's Edition, I actually have one of these already but for £3 I picked it up as a double. It comes with everything; the art book, mouse mat, making of DVD, soundtrack on CD, and the trading cards, one of which was an unused redeemable prize in-game.

http://i.imgur.com/1E3PT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KKuqE.jpg

Bought this for £3, it's 100% working (in my experience Nintendo hardware is pretty bulletproof) and I'm sure the game is probably worth more than that alone.
by Bambi
Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:58 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Something Cool you saw today

"The Pacific Barreleye with its transparent head"

Image

- Imgur Link.
by Bambi
Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:44 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Batman 3

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLyoog562x4[/youtube]
by Bambi
Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:04 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

Yukupo wrote:Having a good time at my internship. I make art assets and the time just fliiiiiiiiies by. Hopefully I can get a full time job out of this! :)

I hope so too, it definitely seems like you're realising your dreams and that's a pretty rare thing.
by Bambi
Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:18 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lincoln

Image

Just saw the poster for this today and I'm definitely interested in seeing it. Setting aside the fact that it's a Spielberg movie, Daniel Day-Lewis is one of those really incredible actors that I'd go to see anything he's in.
by Bambi
Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:26 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

Glad to see you've returned Dorian.
by Bambi
Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:25 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Last Game/System/Peripheral You Bought

Image

For all its faults I really like this game. Old Republic is actually a pretty decent MMO but playing it made me long for a new KotOR release.
by Bambi
Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:26 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Happy Birthday Topic

Happy Birthday LAMEWAD/Thief/Schmeman!
by Bambi
Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:46 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: the 90's rocked

http://i.imgur.com/3kuTw.jpg

Tiger Handhelds.

Had to share some turtles goodness :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/animegamer183/TMNTCereal.jpg

Anyone remember how amazing this was? I distinctly remember it. it was like chex with marshmallows, hasnt been anything like it since. And I just want to say thats one of the coolest cereal boxes ever made.

http://www.thesewerden.com/2011/05/issue-11-eat-up-dude-part-1.html

Ironically a couple of the things listed on that page are still in my cabinets right now, I still have one of the TMNT cereal bowls and the white cup (which I still use from time to time for nostalgia's sake), and also the lap tray thing I had as well. There really wasnt much the turtles didnt get put on, I remember seeing them on frozen chicken pot pie boxes back then even. I wouldnt mind having another bowl of that cereal, I know that.
The "No tropical oils" on the box got me curious, that's something we didn't have here in the UK so I looked it up and found this.

"Tropical oils" refers to oils made from palm, palm kernel and coconut oils. In the 1980s, the American soybean industry was worried that foreign tropical oils would replace their oils as the number one fat, and take money from the American farmer.

A public relations firm working for the American soybean industry devised a campaign that would help to convince consumers that tropical oils were unhealthful. Foods made with soybean oil were labelled "contains no tropical oils." Later the U.S. Federal Trade Commission made that label illegal because there was an implied health claim that tropical oils are harmful and there is no evidence to back it up. the total amount of tropical oils in the U.S. diet was about two percent, so anything that caused consumers to avoid them would have a negligible effect on cholesterol. The whole issue was a trade war and not about health effects.

Tropical oils are used in foods for functional reasons. They are excellent for shortening because they don't get rancid easily, they produce flaky pastry and good color on fried foods, and they don't give a greasy feel to crackers. It is difficult to substitute most other vegetable oils for the tropical ones because their polyunsaturated fats have a short shelf life. To prolong the shelf life, manufacturers convert soybean oil in your food to partially hydrogenated oils which are known to be harmful to your health (increasing risk for a heart attacks and certain cancers).

The countries with the highest palm oil intakes in the world are Costa Rica and Malaysia. Their heart disease rates and serum cholesterol levels are much lower than in western nations. This never was a real health issue.
by Bambi
Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:37 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SINGLE PLAYER GAMER (updated July 21)

If it makes you feel any better I showed it to a couple of people and they really liked it.
by Bambi
Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:06 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue clothes

Image

This was my most questionable use of free time in a while.
by Bambi
Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:18 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Do I Do?

This thread was everything I thought it could be and more, 10/10 would read again.
by Bambi
Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:24 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Videogame Music

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGuTfaFnj84[/youtube]
Reminds me of Shenmue.
by Bambi
Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:08 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Vyse Hazuky wrote: Image

I see you Ryo Hazuki!
by Bambi
Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:06 am
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

Ryudo wrote:
Bambi wrote: Garage converted into apartment

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBYS3ZsC-cY[/youtube]

I see your garage to apartment and raise you Apartment converted to garage
Image

Image
by Bambi
Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:12 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

No bad, bad boys. Dualshock doesn't have true diagonals. Because its disconnected it can't give an accurate reading. Play a fighting game and go into input mode, if you hold it up-left the input flickers between up, up-left and left.
See I do agree with you on a personal level but there's an amazing French Street Fighter player called Luffy who does very well using an original Playstation pad.
by Bambi
Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:48 pm
 
Jump to forum
Jump to topic
Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net