Search found 170 matches

Return

Re: GDC manager tweet rumors Shenmue 3 for PS4.

Hey these are seriously neat ideas folks, and these are terrifically exciting times - keep it up, guys!

Yep - and I also think Adam does a good job of summing up the immediate discussion surrounding the whole Suzuki X Cerny photo at GDC 2013 floating around the interwebs, currently (and of elaborating at length about what his views are on where he thinks the industry is potentially heading - interesting commentary, to say the least) to the public (well, at least the YouTube public) outside of our little bubble forum world here.

Yes, the biggest problem with the Dojo is *not* that its members and posters aren't passionate enough and don't make smart and credible observations - it's that the Dojo is just an audience of Shenmue fans for Shenmue fans. And it doesn't matter if fans give each other pats on the back - the challenge is trying to get the gaming audience/populace at large to notice our point(s). And as Adam says in his video - cheers to making sure we continue to talk Shenmue 3 (S3) everywhere and anywhere, especially now, given the supportive circumstances.

Now that that's out of the way, let's begin.

1) Given that Mark Cerny and Yu Suzuki are *actually* friends (at least close aqcuaintances, considering that both used to work at Sega at the same time - although not on the same projects - and thus at least share a friendship as professional colleagues), I don't think they just ran into each other randomly at GDC 2013. But I also don't think they met specifically to talk about S3 either. Rather, considering how well known the S3 matter is and how well acquainted the two are I want to suggest that Cerny at least passingly discusses the issue with Yu *almost every time* they manage to run into each other at events like GDC, E3, etc.

As in, Cerny sort of just asks Yu "hey, have any plans for S3 come further yet?". Now, I don't mean to say that Cerny asks that just to be flippant or to just come across as being interested in Yu's projects. Rather, I imagine he sincerely asks Suzuki this all the time to honestly catch up with his friend. That being said, I *do* fully believe that someone most likely overheard Cerny and Suzuki discussing the possibility of S3 for PS4 recently at GDC 2013 - but that that disucssion was most likely spontaneous and purely trivial in that it was just two friends chatting, catching up, and entertaining some optimistic possibiltiies for S3 now that the next generation has arrived, again.

On the other hand, given that Cerny did secretly become ( I imagine that Sony must have had him agree to non-disclosure clauses about his involvement with the PS4) the chief architect for PS4, and that this fact has only really been revealed to Suzuki now - it is not unfair to say that Cerny now might always be looking out for good fitting opportunities at Sony (if even at the very back of his mind) for his friend Suzuki to negotiate the Shenmue IP as being a good fit for the PS4 portfolio. As...

2) Yes, I don't think Shenmue any longer has any chance of being relevant on a Microsoft console - not as an exclusive, at least. Sure, Microsoft and the XBOX was the last known home of Shenmue (Shenmue 2 on XBOX) for the primary western market/audience in North America - but that is a *very* weak hand to play considering yes, just how poorly Xbox performs in Japan and just how poor Microsoft/Xbox's performance will most likely remain in Japan going forward. Given that, and considering just how abstract and complicated the S3 issue literally is, it is not difficult to believe that Microsoft is not at all willing to spend the necessary time and money to come through with some sort of exclusive-saviour deal for a next generation S3, considering that...

3) Sega has actually been traditionally *very* buddy-buddy with Sony since well, the PS2. Without Sony and the Playstation brand, Sega wouldn't have its current ongoing major cash crop successes with the Yakuza brand, Project Diva brand, and perhaps their Phantasy Star Online experience. Given this, it isn't hard to imagine that if Sega *had* to choose - surely they'd allow Suzuki to pursue further Shenmue related projects with Sony before anyone else.

I don't necessarily agree that S3 will never be possible for WiiU because Nintendo isn't interested - but more so because Shenmue doesn't fit culturally with more and more what Nintendo is trying to do with its console. Just as with our previous debates concerning S3 on Wii, S3 doesn't 'fit culturally' with the WiiU because from its core concept, S3 is not a title that relies on or would even benefit from, really, the integrated use of motion control, smart glass/tablet game control, or what have you that the WiiU focuses upon.

I'm not saying that Suzuki couldn't design S3 to benefit from utilizing those features, but I think most of us agree that Shenmue benefits most from being played and experienced as an as traditional, core cord and controller experience as possible. That isn't to disparage the core Shenmue experience or to say that it can't keep up with the times - but just like say Virtua Fighter will always be a controller/joystick experience, the core experience that Suzuki envisions with Shenmue is that of a fundamentally traditional gaming experience that doesn't involve any reliance on what are more or less tangential contrivances in motion control, Kinect, Move, etc.

And as coincidential as it seems, Sony out of the big 3 of Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony are seemingly trying to maintain themselves as *the home* for core, traditional gamers with the PS4. Like I say, Nintendo continues to escalate their evolution of motion control and remote play. This is not a bad thing - but Nintendo has always been eccentric; which is thankfully innovative and mind blowing, but *almost always* alienates them from every other third party publisher, forcing always the Nintendo first parties to struggle to make up for the deficit in software for their console. But - because those first party games are forced to adhere to the eccentricity of the home console, it becomes necessary to critique those games in their own category, which effectively separates WiiU from the realm of the PS4 and Xbox 720, and from the realm of core, traditional games - which is technically a good thing because this forces and drives innovation, but also effectively excludes S3 because S3 isn't made in the vision of such eccentricity, as noted previously.

While on the other hand, as much as many of us are Xbox fans, it seems like Microsoft is *really* keen on making the next Xbox a *social media* machine, what with its constant internet connection and mandatory Kinect functionality.

With the PS4 at least, it appears that if you still really wanted to, you *can* still just turn it on, put in a game, and just play it with your cord and controller - which is the tradition of gaming out of which Shenmue and S3 was born, and the core tradition of game playing that so many of us passionate gaming enthusiasts so desperately try to protect and preserve as the games industry continues to become more and more irrationally abstract and absurd going forward.

So yes, given that Sony might actually want to be promoting itself as the last true home of core, traditional gaming and surprisingly how much ongoing credibility S3 continues to command as one of the last great neigh mythic hardcore gaming experiences that still demands a proper sequel conclusion, Sony and Shenmue make a good fit. They also make a good fit because I actually see Sony *wanting* to devote the necessary resources to make Shenmue a success on Playstation. Sony has intererstingly traditionally been very receptive of 'gaming as art'. Jenova Chen of thatgamecompany (ie. Journey, Flower, etc.) recently said the same of the company, complimenting Sony for being very respectful of games being able to offer mature, artistic experiences while Microsoft 'just didn't seem like they actively promoted that kind of culture', even though Microsoft is easily very forward thinking about games as art too.

But seeing as Sony enjoys its ICOs, Shadow of the Colossuses, Journeys, Unfinished Swans, Quantic Dreams, Rains, Tokyo Jungles, AFRIKAs, etc., I think Sony has both the money and the relevant experience to develop and promote Shenmue *as something*. Especially how much Sony has always prided itself as fusing technology with 'emotion'. I'm not a graphics snob myself, but Shenmue was a game that always tried to be as photorealistic/realistic as possible - one of Suzuki's original visions was always to try and present fantasy and wonder in as real a setting/circumstances as possible, trying to prove that the Dreamcast was capable of making all the incredible things happening on the screen occur almost right before your eyes in real life.

For Sony to be able to make and prove their point in Shenmue, a game that focuses so much on accentuating facial expressions, mind boggling attention to authentic cultural and locational minutiae, system taxing massive living virtual eco-systems with hundreds of onscreen characters - each of which can be individually spoken to with unique recorded voice work - and AI schedules, all of which converges to present a spiritually emotional interactive experience for the gamer, then I think a Sony X Shenmue possibility could be a once in a lifetime opportunity that is unravelling right before our eyes. And finally,

4) I think the whole experience *has* to be in a single product as a so-called Shenmue Saga. Releasing *just* Shenmue 3 is too much of a risk - too much of a risk if gamers *don't* actually buy the digital re-releases of S1 and S2 leading up to S3's release, thus making S3 irrelevant right out of the gate. This is an all or nothing thing - either S3 gets made or it doesn't. We can't 'test the waters' with digital re-releases of S1 and S2 because that is too uncertain. People might download them and anticipate S3 or they might not.

But if we just bundle all of it together, the Saga markets itself. For those who are curious, the Saga is the only place to get the 3 games so they will have to buy it to experience them. For eternal fans like us, the Saga is an awesome love letter that conveniently houses the entire experience for which we have fought for for just so many years.

So. I apologise for the incredible length here, but my point is this: we need to be starting a new and fresh campaign that needs to be stronger than every one that has come before it. And the campaign is this: we have to play to Sony's reputation. We literally have to back Sony into a corner now where they have no choice but to act on Shenmue in order to save face, in competition with Microsoft and Nintendo. But how?

Well we have to start by drumming Sony up, by applauding them for being so unique from Microsoft for being such a patron of unique, mature, and artistic games like Journey, Unfinished Swan, Last Guardian, anything from Quantic Dreams (I know, I know - most of us here don't always see eye to eye with David Cage, myself included), etc. And then we must play to their emotions - let them know that a decade's worth of hopes and dreams from many thousands of core, traditional and mature gamers now look to Sony and their new PS4 as true salvation - that whereas Microsoft and Nintendo could never possibly do what we are pleading for, Sony can.

If we get this sensational enough, then Sony has to respond. Yes - the answer can most likely still be no, and then we'll have lost nothing, as long-suffering Shenmue fans. But if Sony answers with anything less than yes to S3, they stand to lose some reputation and credibility, especially if we apply so heavily to the apparent 'advantage' they command over their contemporaries in supporting and making high quality eccentrically artistic games.

And if it ever gets to this point, Sega will have no choice but to let Suzuki work on Shenmue again and jump once more into the rabbit hole, especially with this much media contention.

Terribly exciting - and scary - times indeed, my friends. Cheers.
by Wanderin'
Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GDC manager tweet rumors Shenmue 3 for PS4.

Upon reading Sweaty's post, I can kind of understand why you would care so much about this now. But let me just clarify, I have never completed Shenmue 1, and so never even knew about that choice of Nozomi photos thing! I've also never heard that the carried over saves had any impact on Shenmue 2 other than inventory, so could you tell me about these?

Happy to, if you can stand hearing me talk I explain it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etHPUAw1byg

And a little more here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfOecpVbKco
by AdamKoralik
Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Yu Suzuki Interview from MAGS Conferance

elfshadowreaper wrote:I really don't think the Wii U as it is now is the best system for S3. I love Nintendo but the Wii U has been a flop.

Then it should feel like a home away from home for an old Dreamcast franchise.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri May 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Yu Suzuki Interview from MAGS Conferance

Shenmue III is not going to be a best seller, we have to be realistic here. If you start changing the core of the gameplay mechanics in order to attract more people, you will get Shenkuza with no sells and angry fans.
The same engine updated and modified would work, Irrational Games successfully used the Unreal Engine 2 to make Bioshock and if they decided to make another FPS today with it... it would still be awesome under the right hands.

Sandbox games aren't that groundbreaking anymore, like you said, today is not yesterday and most of the new games of this era are using concepts that were on Shenmue: Save file transfer between games (Mass Effect), "cinematic" experience (Heavy Rain), similar battle system (Batman AA or Sleeping Dogs), QTE, etc. All we need are those dem HD remakes and build something from it.
by killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Mon May 20, 2013 10:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Would it be a good idea for Nitnendo to save Shenmue 3?

Yokosuka Martian wrote: Yakuza HD comes out before Shenmue HD? Dafuq?

Who needs Shenmue HD when we have a shirt & hoodie to wear, and a toy statue to play with. :lol:
by Ziming
Tue May 21, 2013 12:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Next gen XBox reveal May 21st

Henry Spencer wrote: Image

:lol:

:lol: MS did a Nintendo/Sony. Why do they bother? Everyone finds out soon than later.
by Who Really Cares?
Tue May 21, 2013 3:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

David informed me the interview will probably be up by this weekend.
by Ziming
Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Have you given up or still hopeful?

phpBB [video]

Never say Never...
by Radar
Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

Thanks Kenji :)

As promised, our second interview of Yu Suzuki during the Monaco Animé Game Show is now available:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgbkkLIT-Mo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUWfTTqZNNacHUZKyL5hoNCA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgbkkLIT-Mo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUWfTTqZNNacHUZKyL5hoNCA
by Shendream
Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 kikizo article

Never quite understood why people don't realize that there is a possibility that this article could have been factual information at the time. Things do change every now and then, right? Things like time, weather, the seasons, your mood, and business decisions, like in a company like SEGA? G's.
by Supa
Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SHENMUE 3 NEEDS ITS FANS RIGHT NOW!! (OUR LAST CHANCE)

Hey guys,

so ive been browsing the net lately and came across this message on Giocorsi's twitter account

Gio Corsi ‏@giocorsi
So many great, amazing & hilarious asks! Monumental response so far and one week left to get your opinion in! DO IT! #BuildingTheList

If there was ever a time to get Shenmue recognized by a massive company who are willing to invest, this is it. In case your wondering, giocorsi is director of Sony's third party support studio. They are taking requests from fans on what games everyone would like to see make its way to the PS3 /PSV/Ps4

I suggest the following to help make Shenmue HD and 3 a reality

1) Tweet @giocorsi and say you want Shenmue. Or leave a comment on the official blog post

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/08/30/more-great-games-coming-to-playstation-via-third-party-production-team/comment-page-69/#comment-898366

2) The Team yu guys should promote this via all their outlets everyday until giocorsi stops taking requests. Encourage tweeting as much as you can.

3) Youtubers Adam Koralik and Ziming should make videos to encourage all their followers to recommend Shenmue to giocorsi....................(an actual video, not a comment that subscribers may or may not see)

4) Anyone who has a Neo gaf account needs to make a thread about voting for Shenmue, much like the final fantasy type 0 thread here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=679333

5) Inform the Shenmue master guys and get their followers to do the same. Also update the dojo front page with this news.

6) Message other popular youtubers who are die hard Shenmue fans and ask for their help.

7) Post on any relevant message boards about Shenmue (ign, gamefaqs, etc)

Unfortunately, the dojo is not overflowing with all the Shenmue fans that are scattered across the globe. I think we need to reunite now more so then ever to help Shenmue make a comeback. Its not every day an opportunity like this arises.

THIS MAY BE OUR ONLY CHANCE. WE MUST STRIKE NOWWWWWW!!!!!

:twisted:

Thanks guys.

p.s please keep this thread separate from the other one. I feel this topic needs to stand out as much as possible. Thanks.
by ShenSun
Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

I really like her face.

by Thief
Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue(1999) Intro scene - music score orchestra

Hi Shenmue Dojo this is my Shenmue music project that I finally can release.

Shenmue 1999 Intro scene 6.00min

Game: Shenmue
Platform:Dreamcast
Release:1999
Designer: Yu Suzuki
Composers: Takenobu Mitsuyoshi (Sound Director)
Yuzo Koshiro
Takeshi Yanagawa
Osamu Murata
Ryuji Iuchi

Re-imagining, arranging of orchestra: mithius/lastburai (me)

SFX and voice from the game was gratefully provided by wude at the Shenmue dojo, thank you

Additional Sfx was added and mixed by me.

This piece of music is from the intro that plays in the game where Lan Di kills Iwao Hazuki

Version 4A is the original orchestral version with SFX and vocal arranged by me no score was used it was done by ear. And it is my representation of the original, or close as to the original. Including the cut of music that occurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11ZV3Zum_HY

Version 4B is the original as in version 4A but without SFX and vocals and also without the cut, it is the full version.
http://youtu.be/U8-As3PXHYY

Version 4C Is a re-arrangement of some of the melodies from original score. I added some instruments consisting of more ethnic type instruments such as Bawa, Er Hu, Guzheng, Xiao and a few others. I added 4 distortion guitars, 2 clean guitars and a bass guitar in addition to the rest of the orchestra. The bass guitar is mixed perhaps at a low volume, because the orchestra also has a bass I decided to lower the bass guitar. This version also includes the SFX and vocals, there is also the cut that occurs somewhere near the beginning again like the original.
http://youtu.be/g7EDBWM6k-Y

Version 4D is version 4C but without SFX and vocals and also without the cut, it is the full version.
http://youtu.be/kHN1XptAg0s

Do not let the slow pace of the music deceive. This was extremely difficult for me to get right for some reason to play the guitar and bass parts precise, slow and due to the way the tempo fluctuates of the orchestra, when doing tremolando. There is really no places where the tempo is steady, using ramp tempos, where the ramp moves across a wide range of bars, it may sound odd but this is the reality of things. Also to create very long sustained notes with a guitar is another difficulty that seems to come natural to other string instruments.

Thanks again to Shenmue Dojo and Wude at Shenmue Dojo for providing the game SFX and vocals
by ryoreturn
Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Beyond Two Souls

Thanks a lot guys for this I didn't know about the early access to Beyond two souls demo. I'm downloading it right now. I really liked Indigo prophecy and Heavy Rain.

ADDED: I enjoy the demo but the fighting controls are hard to get used to it. I kept getting caught by the cops but you never die in this game. Can't wait for the game to come out.
I explain them a bit in my video if you care to view. They're actually quite simple and the game seemingly revolves around a two dimensional "battle system."
by Yama
Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: should SEGA die if it meant continuing shenmue?

I've read a lot about the changes when Sammy took over and it wasn't too pretty. The way they closed and merged teams was extremely detrimental to Sega. Before Sammy, Sega had teams that were largely specialized in a certain genre and they all had their own culture and management styles. Then Sammy comes along and throws together teams who used to make totally different games..to sometimes have them work on another genre. It surprises me that they still managed to kind of continue considering this.

But on topic : I would almost vote yes these days. I would even rather see Sony buy the rights and try to do the series justice as intended by Yu. Which says a lot coming from me since I used to hate the idea, you know early DC/PS2 era and all ... :P But I actually suspect that Sony could do it justice and make sure that it gets the right attention. I mean, they do support some less commercial games here and there and maybe they could gather some key figures from back then to work on the project?
by ys
Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue mentioned in Sony's giant list of video games

http://i.imgur.com/4D9hQuA.jpg

During Sony's big PS4 event in Manhattan, Kotaku chatted with Sony's Adam Boyes about what the folks behind PlayStation have planned for the future. He mentions both Shenmue and Yakuza as the most requested games. ( Kotaku Article )

The Official Playstation Magazine (UK) is asking what game or series not yet announced for next-gen do you most want to see on PS4? The best answers go in issue 92, onsale 20 December. Send your answer now!
by Ziming
Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki: Project Berkley - English Subtitled -

http://i.imgur.com/ELyNCBA.jpg
Project Berkley is a bonus GD-ROM that was included with Virtua Fighter 3TB, and released alongside the Dreamcast in Japan 15 years ago. (November 27, 1998)

The video has Yu Suzuki talking about his older arcade games and the concepts behind creating a game like Shenmue. It reveals early pre-rendered footage, character artwork, and full 3d busts of the main characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu86tlnFLVE

English translation by Rakim
by Ziming
Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue NeoGaf Thread #SaveShenmue

I have a neogaf account, please let me know how I can help.
by code l name
Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Postmortem scheduled for March 19, 2014 2pm-3pm

The_Intruder wrote: I can't figure out what time I need to watch it in my area I'm eastern time I live in New Jersey.

5pm. Your location puts you 3 hours ahead.
by Ziming
Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

News Tidbits: Yu Suzuki/Shenmue Documentary/Suka High

http://i.imgur.com/wZx1MBK.jpg

- Yu Suzuki , the creator of Shenmue has actively started using his Twitter account again. ( @yu_zuuki_jp )

- The Shenmue documentary has teamed up with production company Fauxpop Media .

- A short Shenmue fan-film called "Suka High" was recently released by Rising Tiger Films .
by Ziming
Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

http://i.imgur.com/BJRCaRH.jpg

A Shenmue 3 Kickstarter has just been announced at Sony's E3 press conference! Let's make Yu Suzuki's dream a reality! Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Info site: http://shenmue.link/

Kickstarter Links: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter | E3 Kickstarter Reveal | Kickstarter Promo
Shenmue Fan Communities: Shenmue 500k | NeoGAF | Yu Suzuki's Twitter
by Ziming
Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mike Huber (Gametrailers) has an E3 dream.....

phpBB [video]

When he drops it..... ohhh the tingles. He gets it! Huber Hype!!!! (2.43 if you dont want pre hype)
by Peter
Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mike Huber (Gametrailers) has an E3 dream.....

Shenmue is in the list of E3 wishes from the GameTrailers' crew (of course Michael Huber's wish!):
https://youtu.be/f-SarOIv9-E?t=17m10s
Time marks: 17:10 - 28:05 - 28:24 .

UPDATE: Also, Michael Huber's Final "Huber Hype" Bet for E3, is Shenmue announced in any capacity! Even a whisper of it!
https://youtu.be/6xFAHDc3LrQ?t=22m18s
by Giorgio
Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue E3 Discussion

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

To Be Honest, the Game Happening Is Amazing, But...

Does anyone else find it equally refreshing to just have this game be acknowledged? As in, for the first time in over a decade, this is an open discussion. The air of mystery that has plagued our community is finally gone. We aren't wondering what Yu is thinking anymore. He's telling us. We aren't forced to ask questions that we fear will never be answered. We will never again need to hear a certain, unnamed game publisher not "comment on rumors or speculation" or announce that there are "no plans at this time" ever again. Ever.

In some ways, the announcement has almost taken away a key element of what has made this community special for the past 14 years. Even for us lurkers who have kept up-to-date and silently supported this franchise that we all hold dear. In other ways, it's showed the strength of what a fan-base can really do.

We won't be looked at as the crazies who put faith in an unreachable dream anymore, but the crazies who never stopped believing, and showed that dedication and faith can be rewarded.

While I believe that the very fabric of this community has changed forever, now that our biggest wish is a reality, I just want to say that I'm proud to have been a part of this great group with all of you for all of these years. As a 12-year-old back in 2000, I never thought the journey would last this long, or mean this much.

Thanks for never giving up!
by NSN2014
Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

There's this FAQ now:

Will there be an Xbox/Wii U/Linux/Mac version for Shenmue 3?
Currently we are planning development only for PC (Windows) and PS4. Other platforms have not been decided yet.

Will there be a physical copy reward for PS4?
The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter will only be offering the digital download version for the PlayStation Network.

Is this game affiliated with SEGA?
SEGA has officially given us the rights to use the "Shenmue" license.

Are there plans for the HD versions of Shenmue 1 & 2?
The property rights for Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 belong to SEGA, so we are not in a position to comment on that.
by Thief
Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: E3 Discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gU-TydHepg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noDjWhm1664

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd4MyNqI0fo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRZzuTwTEUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dL198n2d0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FhW-1TRJ54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPgiRIR07qU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsS0fWIo9FY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJASW9NPDYo

Putting all my hopes and dreams into this E3, like i do every year.
by Stocke
Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki doing Reddit AMA tomorrow!

This is more than great news and we have to make sure that we get some of the important info out in the open about the kickstarter and also try to help them by asking about adding more Reward Tiers (between $500 and $10,000), and also by making the stretch goals more clear/descriptive.

Here is a list of questions that are being complied on Neogaf by the user GavinGT.

Updated List of Questions for Friday's Yu Suzuki AMA

- Why no physical PS4 disc?
- What's the deal with the other two towns mentioned in the Kickstarter video?
- Can we have some more higher tier Kickstarter rewards, please?
- What do you forecast the final budget to be?
- Will the game have English and Japanese VO?
- Will Corey Marshall reprise his role?
- Will you finish the story with Shemue III?
- Do you have access to Sega-branded arcade games and capsule toys?
- Can you go into more detail about what the stretch goals actually mean?
- Will you update the controls?
- Will we see a return of some Shenmue I systems, such as lots of interactivity with objects?
- Will the free battle system still exist in the game?
- How will you update QTEs?
- How many developers do you plan to have working on the game?
- Is an Xbox One version out of the question?
- Do you have any specific cost-cutting measures in mind?
- Will the final game be at full price?

A great list IMO.
by SheepheadCG
Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Famitsu Translation & Scans

http://www.mediafire.com/view/6siygr66m2te2qr/i-wf0702_004.jpg#
http://www.mediafire.com/view/bp8911gv5b7y5a3/i-wf0702_005.jpg#
http://www.mediafire.com/view/zhehbcn73zhkp9a/i-wf0702_006.jpg#
http://www.mediafire.com/view/bf1trmgz7tejf1m/i-wf0702_007.jpg#
http://www.mediafire.com/view/6md3ql10x1ppiw6/i-wf0702_008.jpg#
http://www.mediafire.com/view/6iot4869ui62rdr/i-wf0702_009.jpg#

thanks to kurushii for the scans.

Famitsu Translation by Axm and Switch

Feature Story
- Ryo Hazuki is coming back -

Shenmue III has set off
The fundraising campaign has started on Kickstarter

E3 2015 is being held in Los Angeles from June 17th till 19th (Japan time). Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) press conference was held in June 16th, a day before E3 starts, and a game creator Yu Suzuki announced the new “Shenmue 3.” He also revealed his campaign using the crowd-funding site “Kickstarter” to raise funds for this game.
It’s been 14 years since the release of Shenmue 2. What will this eagerly-awaited Shenmue 3 be like? Why did he chose Kickstarter?--- I have asked the executive produce Mr.Suzuki. (Interviewer: Famitsu chief editor Katsuhiko Hayashi)

Finally setting off the official sequel “Shenmue 3”

---The impact of the name of “Shenmue 3” is so great and it surprised me when I first heard it. Well, it’s been 14 years since Shenmue 2 was released. Why make Shenmue 3 now? Would you give us the accounts on how it started?
Suzuki: I have been always looking for the way to launch Shenmue 3, so it is not like we just started this project. Although it’s been more than a decade since Shenmue 2, there are many enthusiastic fans still existing and when I attend autograph sessions abroad, they always come ask me “When is Shenmue 3 coming?” For example in France, 80% of people who come to my autograph sessions are the Shenmue fans. The rest of 10% are Virtua Fighter fans and the other 10% are Hang-on fans or so. There are fans who still manage fan communities. Every year around March and April, the rumor “They say that they are making Shenmue 3” comes out and it reaches me.. haha.

---The eagerly waiting voices turn to rumors.
Suzuki: Yes that’s right. But slowly the fan’s voices have changed to something wistful. They say “It can be just a novel, so please give us the sequel story at least” or “Just manga is fine. We want to see a new “Shenmue”.” Those voices made me think that I should push the project forward somehow for the fans, no matter if I couldn’t make a full-spec game.

--- And for the means to make it happen, you chose Kickstarter. Why?
Suzuki: About three years ago, one of the fans who has experience using Kickstarter suggested me using it for the Shenmue project. That is when I first learned about Kickstarter, and started researching it. If it comes to really making the game, I have to make sure it satisfies my fans. So I couldn’t go like “OK I’m doing this with Kickstarter!” I seeked other ways,--- for instance finding a partner, but I couldn’t find one that meets my requirements. After careful consideration, we decided that Kickstarter is the best way to set off, and we were able to announce it finally in 2015.

---So you were just saying that you wanted to make the sequel, but really you have been working on it already for a long time.
Suzuki: Yes. Strong feedback after the Shenmue lecture at GDC 2014 also pushed me into coming this far. Sega agreeably licenced it to me and SCE also supported us by saying “We will support you if you are making Shenmue.” I knew that announcing the Kickstarter project at SCE’s conference is a very remarkable thing and am so happy that many people still support Shenmue this much.

---The title “Shenmue 3” is very direct and has no twist.
Suzuki: I couldn’t think of any other name. Shenmue 1, 2 and 3. It is not a spin-off. It comes to PS4 and PC.

---Its an eagerly awaited official sequel and fans will be definitely delighted. What is the goal of the Kickstarter funding?
Suzuki: 2 million yen at the very beginning.

---It must be easy to raise 2 million if it is for Shenmue.
Suzuki: However, 2 million is the very least amount of money you need for a game to come to exist. If it’s just 2 million, it will be more likely a very story-driven based game. If we can raise more, it will be more realistic for me to be able to do what I want to do. I want to try something new.

--- Just like you.. Your stance of “making something new” has never changed.
Suzuki: Yes. I will do my best to make a new Shenmue.

--- We will talk about this “New Shenmue” later. What are the pledge rewards for donating to Kickstarter?
Suzuki: I would like to adopt everyone’s opinion into the game to the extent that I can. For example if there are two designs of one character, then I will ask everyone to vote for each of them. I will provide the participation privilege for that kind of voting. Also while Shenmue 3 is under development, I will prepare a trial-demo so they can take a sneak peak of it.

--- So you are creating Shenmue 3 with your fans?
Suzuki: I think every one of the people who invested in this project has a leading role in it and I hope each one of them enjoy it. Please visit Kickstarter’s Shenmue page to learn more about the pledge rewards.

F: Next, I would like to ask about the key content of Shenmue 3. What kind of story developments can be expected in Shenmue 3?
YS: At the end of Shenmue 2 Ryo visits Guilin, said to be the most beautiful region in China. The area is famous for landscape paintings, and it has a river called the Li river. Shen Hua’s house is located on a tributary of the river. The story of Shenmue 2 ends at the point where Ryo reaches Shen Hua’s house, and the story of Shemue 3 continues right from there.
F: So, Ryo and Shen Hua will make an appearance, continuing from the previous part.
YS: For people who have played the Shenmue series, those familiar characters will appear as they were.
F: Will the setting be Guilin?
YS: Yes. For example, visiting a town(s) in the Guilin area, or going back to the mountains. Also infiltrating the Guilin chapter of an underground organization, the Chi You Men.
F: It could be said that Shenmue is the originator of open world gameplay, and has influenced many games since, but for Shenmue 3 what direction do you plan to take the open world model?
YS: When I created Shenmue 1, I was aiming to create exactly what is now called an “open world”. Being able to stop freely at any location you wish, advancing if you wish to move the story forward, or just standing still if you prefer. Back then, we called the system “FREE”, but in time it came to be referred to as open world. In Shenmue 2, with advances and technology and techniques, the open world was expanded even further.
F: In Shenmue 2, it was possible to walk through many towns over a wide area of Hong Kong, wasn’t it.
YS: Actually, at that time, I had decided that for Shenmue 3 I would delve in more deeply.
F: More deeply?
YS: Yes. People might expect that the open world would be made even broader, but in contrast to that, I will focus on depth. For example, for the case of 100 characters, splitting the development budget among them would limit the elements that could be incorporated into each character.
F: That’s true, it would make it harder to create each with detail.
YS: However, if we reduce the number to 10 characters, a lot of possibilities are opened up. The amount of conversation could be increased 10 times, or detailed A.I. provided for each character. As a result, conversations could be much richer. As an example, in Shenmue 3 the person that Ryo will speak with most is Shen Hua, so I want to portray her with depth. I envisage an approach where, by settings parameters for Shen Hua, on-going conversations with her will influence events such as changing her attitude, or changing the way that quests relating to her unfold.
F: I see. I think a lot of support for Shenmue comes not from just the realistic towns, but from the realism of the people inhabiting it. From what you have described, this realism will be further increased, and the world will feel even more “human”.
YS: Yes. In Shenmue this time I will be focusing particularly on digging down further on such internal aspects.
F: This is your vision for the new Shenmue, isn’t it.
YS: Of course, that’s not to say it will not be open world. Stretch goals will allow the town(s) to be expanded. However, what I would like to try first is to develop something that everyone has not anticipated; a deep Shenmue world.

F: I can’t wait to see this new Shenmue. Speaking of Shenmue, apart from its open world, its QTEs and minigames made it special, didn’t they.
YS: QTEs were originally included so that even people who were poor at battles could enjoy them. I’m happy that various games have included QTEs since then.
F: QTEs also had their origin in Shenmue, didn’t they.
YS: This time, I would like to show new QTEs; ones which can played by anyone, and which have carefully-crafted event sequences. In addition, I’d like to change the nature of free battles. (I will think of a different name, as I don’t want to call them free battles). I’d like to make a battle that is won by making the correct decision, rather than by correct timing of pushing buttons.
F: I believe Shenmue was made with the concept of being a game that can be enjoyed by any player, and this new system feels to be in keeping with that.
YS: Also this time I am planning a “technique scrolls” system. Ah.... maybe I have said too much (laughs).
F: Not at all, we’d like to hear more! (laughs)
YS: For example, with the free battle it is tough to practice and input the various commands required, so simply by obtaining a technique scroll you can apply the technique to help you win a battle. In the case of a QTE, the new technique could be unleashed during the QTE. I would like to make it so that a technique can be used to your advantage in battle just by obtaining a technique scroll. Furthermore, I’d like to make that technique scroll connect with various elements within the game.
F: Could you explain a bit more with respect to “connecting with elements”?
YS: Shenmue has had a number of ways you could play around, such as mini-games and gambling spots, but I have always been thinking about how to connect these together in some way. Of course, they are connected in the sense that you can take a part-time job to earn money, then increase that amount by gambling, then buy weapons... but not that kind of connection, something much closer. If the stretch goals can be reached and more detailed elements incorporated into the open world, this will allow technique scrolls to serve as the pivot for connecting together the various side games. That’s the kind of direction I would like to take it.
F: I see. So various elements of the open world will be connected together in a more natural way. Apart from that, are there any other elements that you are keen to include in Shenmue 3?
YS: One particular part of Shenmue that fans seem to have fallen in love with is the forklift part-time job, which is extremely popular. So I really want to include it in Shenmue 3 too, but how can you operate a forklift deep in the mountains of Guilin (laughs). I haven’t stopped thinking about how to find some way to include a forklift (laughs).

F: Please tell us about the development set-up for Shenmue 3.
YS: This time, the main development company is Neilo. The representative for Neilo, Takeshi Hirai, worked as the chief programmer for Shenmue and has a good understanding of Shenmue.
F: Since Shenmue is an open world game, I had thought that working with an overseas development company that is experienced in open world games would have been an option.
YS: Yes, that may have been an option. However, the main distinguishing characteristic of Shenmue is its culture. I believe that users overseas also have taken interest in the culture and customs of Asia. People have said they appreciate it when Ryo says “Thank you” for the smallest thing, for example. Someone who has worked all along on creating Shenmue understands that kind of culture and values.
F: So this time, development will be using Unreal Engine 4, won’t it.
YS: I have been looking at various engines for Shenmue 3 for the past 3 years, but the colors of Unreal Engine 4 are closest to those I envisage for the world of Shenmue. Although that’s a pretty broad statement, given that it’s a technical topic. The feeling of slight dampness in the air, the skin colors, the feel of materials etc were closest to my ideal.
F: Apart from the Neilo staff, are there others participating who have worked with Shenmue before?
YS: Yes, of course. I wanted to build up the team with past members as I believe that gives the fans some reassurance. Among others are scenario writer Masahiro Yoshimoto, and Kenji Miyawaki who is in charge of the character designs.
F: Given that this project is coming to life 14 years after the previous release of Shenmue, everyone must be very surprised.
YS: Mr Yoshimoto has been active in the world of television, and reacted with surprise saying “With television, producing something new with a theme that is 14 years old is unheard of”. But Mr Yoshimoto told me that he made many discoveries through his experience with Shenmue. Later on, I plan to release a video with comments from Mr Yoshimoto and the rest of the staff, so please watch out for it.
F: We are looking forward to seeing it. The fans are sure to be happy.
YS: I have gathered together quite a few of the original key members who gave Shenmue that special feel. I’m sure this will bring a feeling of both reassurance and nostalgia.
F: By the way, it may be a bit impatient to ask, but do you already have in mind how things will progress after Shenmue 3?
YS: Of course, I have that in mind. But first and foremost, I’d like to put primary focus on Shenmue 3.
F: When is the planned release date for Shenmue 3?
YS: I’d like to release it by the end of 2017.
F: That’s quite some way off, but we can’t wait. From speaking with you today, I can really appreciate the challenges that you are taking on of producing a new Shenmue. Finally, do you have a message for all the fans who have waited all this time for Shenmue 3?
YS: The fans have told me over the course of 14 years how they wanted part 3 to be made, and I have always told myself that I had to find some way to make it. And now, through the crowd-funding of Kickstarter, at last I have been able to make a start on the Shenmue 3 project. In order to bring about a Shenmue 3 that incorporates a perfect blend of both a Shenmue that everyone desires, as well as a Shenmue with the new challenges I want to take on, everyone’s effort is needed. Thank you so much for your support.

Picture captions:
1) This image shows the figures of Ryo and Shen Hua walking on a mountain path. Note that Ryo has changed clothes from the leather jacket he wears in the first and second parts of the series.
2) Using a telescope, Ryo observes buildings below a cliff. According to Yu Suzuki, before Ryo lies the enemy’s camp, which Ryo is searching for a way to infiltrate.
3) Shen Hua and Ryo, drawn by Kenji Miyawaki who is in charge of character design for the series. Shen Hua, the main heroine, did not appear much in the first and second parts of the series. In Shenmue 3, she will surely take a principle role.
4) Niao Sun, one of the leaders of the underground organisation opposing Ryo, the Chi You Men. Although her existence has previously been revealed, she has not made an in-game appearance until now.
by shenhua legend
Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki & Cedric Biscay Interview (Shenmue 3)

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

In the latest update that's what it says! It starts at 9:30 PM PST!

I have compiled a list of questions and concerns from users of Shenmue Dojo:

FINAL SHENMUE DOJO QUESTIONS

Updated questions:

1. Will Shenmue III enable PayPal or a means to donate the project when the Kickstarter ends? Projects like Star Citizen gained tens of millions in donations by allowing this.

2. In Shenmue III will Ryo's notebook and Timex watch return?

3. the kickstarter page seems to be lacking a detailed summary of the series so far, are there any plans to update the page in order to provide more information for Shenmue newcomers? It makes the series not come off as friendly for newcomers.

4. In Shenmue III, will battles return? There has been talk that you are simplifying them, does this mean we will no longer get Virtua Fighter like fights? How will fights work? Will they be entirely QTE-based as seen in modern titles like Heavy Rain or will they still have corresponding punch and kick buttons like before?

5. How accurately will Shenmue III be compared to your original vision of the game or will there be major compromises?

6. Will Shenmue III be at Tokyo Game Show, GDC, and PAX or only Monaco?

7. Many fans want the option to play the game with a Japanese voice track. Is YSnet considering implementing this?

8. Are all the towns listed in the Kickstarter stretch goals in the game already, or are the stretch goals only there as a means to help give them more features and spice?

9. Sony and other investors are only funding a part of the games budget. Does this mean most of the budget will come from the Kickstarter? More importantly, how much does Suzuki-san want the Kickstater to reach in order for him to make the FULL vision for Shenmue III?

10. It would be helpful if the Kickstarter made stretch goals more straightforward. As they are now, they are quite vague and confusing, even to experienced Shenmue fans. For example, what exactly is rapport?

11. Will the gameplay in Shenmue III be more contemporary or will it be more in line with past Shenmue iterations?

12. Seeing as how the game is set in a remote forested region how sparsely populated will the game be, will there be wildlife?

13. What will the level of npc interactivity be and how detailed will their behavior be?

14. How much of an influence will fan base feedback have during the making of this game?

15. Will you try to finish the story over the course of 2-3 more games as you originally envisioned?

16. Online is a big component of modern day gaming, is there any consideration for incorporating some type of online game play? Some type of mini-games, co-op missions or fighting modes?

17. I am new to Shenmue and don't find the Kickstarter promotional video to be terribly informative. Are there plans in making a new one? I'd like to back it on Kickstarter but nothing on the page is telling me what Shenmue remotely is.

18. Will character polls compromise your artistic vision?

GavinGT from Neogaf has a good set of questions for his AMA. What questions would you like to see or ask?! Post them here!!

Updated List of Questions for Friday's Yu Suzuki AMA

- Why no physical PS4 disc?
- What's the deal with the other two towns mentioned in the Kickstarter video?
- Can we have some more higher tier Kickstarter rewards, please?
- What do you forecast the final budget to be?
- Will the game have English and Japanese VO?
- Will Corey Marshall reprise his role?
- Will you finish the story with Shemue III?
- Do you have access to Sega-branded arcade games and capsule toys?
- Can you go into more detail about what the stretch goals actually mean?
- Will you update the controls?
- Will we see a return of some Shenmue I systems, such as lots of interactivity with objects?
- Will the free battle system still exist in the game?
- How will you update QTEs?
- How many developers do you plan to have working on the game?
- Is an Xbox One version out of the question?
- Do you have any specific cost-cutting measures in mind?
- Will the final game be at full price?
by Himuro
Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $10 million

Never in a million years is this Kickstarter going to get even close to that. Open up a PayPal and take donations afterwards and maybe it'll reach it in a few months with Shenmue fans donating a good portion of their fucking annual salary toward it.

It's a shame because if the Kickstarter was done properly I think it'd have had a decent chance of getting $10M by itself. I'm really annoyed by Awesome Japan - due to their complete and utter incompetence, they're now asking Shenmue fans to pledge far more than they can possibly afford, otherwise we get a bare-bones version of the game we've been waiting 14 years for.

Seriously, fuck these shit cunts.

Erm, this kind of attitude doesn't exactly help. Have you actually bothered messaging YS Net on kickstarter?

Guys this is the first few days of the campaign. We have all waited 14 years for this so why are you willing to give up so easily?
by b_ren
Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

quick. everyone go out and buy lottery tickets
by redline
Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey, just wanted to say, $10 million is completely possible. $10 million is absolutely possible.

Kickstarters begin with a huge surge and end with one. The low gradual middle period makes up about half of the overall funds. Shenmue's gains seem to have stablised at about $200,000 a day at the moment. Carry that across another 27 days and you end up at 8 million from where we are. Add the surge, it's 9 or 10. It's completely possible. It really is.

I'm also sure some people are waiting eagerly for their paychecks. If we can alleviate some of the bad press and set the record straight we can keep and carry this momentum onward. I'm putting in about £350 myself on payday, which is about $500. I'm sure others probably feel the same way. As long as we get strong reliable voices out there, setting the record straight, it will happen.

Some journalists and YouTubers command tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of followers. If there was ever a time to reach out now is that time. The sooner we fix these click baiters the longer and stronger will be the effect on the campaign. We can do this. We've been reaching out and keeping the faith all these years, that's what we do. We're Shenmue fans. We've always reached out and kept the faith. We've got this. This next month cannot topple us.

I also believe Yu is withholding goals so as not to set a bad taste in - so we don't feel like we're getting a diminished project if it doesn't go as far as he needs it to go. You could argue back and forth whether that's right or wrong but I'll trust Yu. Entirely possible he himself is not sure what he should include at what stages, as in what would feel like a complete game for that particular level/build/funding goal.

But it doesn't really matter to me to be honest. Whatever it is Yu has planned I trust him, I trust his philosophy. And I know that what he really wants is the whole nine yards, and that he deserves it, that $10 million. I cannot wait to see what Yu will show us of the next era of gaming. I really believe he can do that again.
by LucBu
Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cannot believe some of the people in this community. . .

I don't want a Shenmue game less than 10 mil if that's what Yu needs to make it the full installment experience.
Rather not have any game than some basic story just for closure.

Not knowing what happens to Lan Di is legendary at this point and I'm fine with leaving it like that.

Then don't play it when it comes out. Simple as that.
by myshtuff
Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Shenmue III Stretch Goals Announced - $11 Million+

Going by the pace the funding is going, we won't even make it to 5 let alone 11+ millions.

My guess is that money is already secured by other means.

We'll never see that type of money through kickstarter I'm afraid.
by ÐÃ ß×®
Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

First Shenmue 3 Artwork and New Kickstarter Survey

http://i.imgur.com/RhhzF0j.png

Yu Suzuki has posted the very first Shenmue 3 artwork of Ryo and Shenhua on his official Twitter page .

A new survey has also been added to the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter . Backers of the campaign can vote for their favorite character and mini game - those with the highest votes could make a return. New tier rewards are also being considered, which include: Dragon and Phoenix replica mirrors, a physical Lucky Hit board, Ryo's watch & journal and stickers & patches . Supporters may also get the chance to voice a character or become an in-game NPC.

Links: Take the Survey | Shenmue 3 Artwork | Shenmue 3 Kickstarter | News Archive
by Sonoshee
Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 3 Wins GT's E3 2015 Best Debut Award

Game Trailers has given Shenmue 3 the best debut award at E3. Winning out against the heavy hitter FF7 Remake.

Videos: E3 2015 Awards: Best Debut | Michael Huber Reaction | Shenmue 3 Reaction Playlist
by Ziming
Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

$20,000 pledge for the future of our Guilin school.

http://i.imgur.com/PZDaNhg.jpg

Hey everyone, my brother and I decided to contribute $20,000 for the making of Shenmue III. We spent many hours thinking about whether this is a good or bad decision. We spent $10,000 in 2012 to get our school off the ground and that went a long way. Because of our initial $10,000 pledge, the school received an amazing amount of attention in China, social media and gaming websites. I'll reiterate, We are not wealthy! This was a hard decision. We could have given $20,000 directly to building the school and it's programs but we feel that this pledge will lead to more exposure and support than what we could do through other mediums.

For those who don't know our school yet. We are called The "V.E.T. Program" (Volunteer English Teacher). You can find us on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/VolunteerEnglishTeacher?fref=ts&ref=br_tf We teach children and young adults English to help in their educational and career pursuits. Many of these kids come from small villages in the Guilin area and may not have an opportunity to learn elsewhere. You can go to the "about" section on the Facebook page to learn more.

We really need help in reaching our goals. We would love for you to like us on Facebook. We will eventually look outside ourselves and setup a way for donations to be made but we didn't want to distract from the Kick Starter or be overbearing donation hunters.

We decided to make the second $10,000 pledge a character in the game. We don't want to be a character attacking Ryo though. We are going to try and ask Yu Suzuki to let us have one of our Volunteer Chinese teaching assistants be a character in one of the villages. They deserve to be recognized for their hard work. They are volunteers and many of them come from poor rice farms.

We are also hoping that since we will be listed in the credits as a special sponsor that it can have our school with a logo and a website rather than our names.

I don't think any of this would be asking too much. I think it would help get attention to the school. We would love any assistance in helping us achieve this. We also would love to have Yu Suzuki come to the school some day but we won't don't want to be greedy.

Please, help our little school!
http://i.imgur.com/GS7Iwrq.jpg
by wdrpgwd
Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

30 on the 3rd: A Roaring Success

I think this was the best day this community has ever seen. What a display of discipline, effort, and enthusiasm.

1. 335,960 dollars in one day.
2. 1276 new backers in one day.
3. Twice as many Kickstarter comments as any previous day.
4. Love from Kavinsky.
5. Peter's dreams of meeting Suzuki came true.
6. Kotaku tried to go negative, but their own news editor called the writer out for it in the comments. Upbeat rebuttals dominated the comment section. The tide of public opinion has turned.
7. Apologies from Awesome Japan and much better handling of everything today. Cedric Biscay heard us, and continues to engage with the community.
8. Great new tiers. Limited ones are selling out. Physical PS4 copy was a game-changer.
9. Unprecedented noise made on Twitter.
10. On the verge (only about 10,000 left, will make by mid-morning on the west coast) of overtaking Torment as the 2nd most funded Kickstarter game ever made.
11. Great Q&A with Yu.
12. Have had bunch of people saying to me on GAF today that even though they haven't played Shenmue, the fan passion has inspired them to pledge for the game.

You are all incredible. This is an amazing moment.
by Erevador
Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

KS Update #28 - Kenji Miyawaki Interview Part 2

http://i.imgur.com/uLe6ygw.png

Main character designer Kenji Miyawaki is back for the second part of his interview for one look back and one look forward. Kenji talks about how Ryo’s character got his fashion sense, and explains the mysterious character on the canvas.

Links & Hashtags: #SaveShenmue #10milliontoShenmue3
Kickstarter Update | Shenmue 3 Kickstarter | Forum Discussion | News Archive
by Sonoshee
Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #28 - Kenji Miyawaki Interview Part 2

English
phpBB [video]

Japanese
phpBB [video]
by Sonoshee
Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

#TheFinalBlow - LAST CHANCE FOR SHENMUE 3

http://i.imgur.com/mMkDRRB.png

Last month our dreams were made a reality with the reveal of Shenmue 3 at E3. Over the past twenty five days, many of us have done everything we possibly can to #SaveShenmue and make Yu Suzuki's vision for Shenmue 3 a reality. With the final days of the Kickstarter closing in, Shenhua and Ryo need us now more than ever.

The Shenmue community is therefore undertaking #TheFinalBlow to the Kickstarter from July 15th through 17th . If you haven't pledged - this is the time. If you can raise your pledge - please do so. Those of you holding out for a Paypal option - don't.
Do not look back in regret and think how you could have helped make Shenmue 3 the game it should have been.

Yi - To act without hesitation, to do what is right

Please pledge or upgrade your pledge NOW.
The quality and scale of Shenmue 3 is dependent on the Kickstarter’s overall success.

Spread this message (and the associated hashtags) on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Twitch, Instagram, gaming forums... and anywhere else you possibly can .

The future of Shenmue is in our hands... Let's make our voices heard one last time!

Links & Hashtags: #SaveShenmue #TheFinalBlow
30onthe3rd Article | Fate of Shenmue video | Shenmue 3 Kickstarter | Forum Discussion | News Archive
by Sonoshee
Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Are you looking forward to checking into Hotel Bird Dance?

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/Screenshot_2015-07-08-16-00-26_zpsx7ea7tfr.png

https://twitter.com/yu_suzuki_jp/status/618777139060420608

The latest tweet from Yu-San shows us the plans of the first floor of the Bird Dance Hotel! It's the 1F plans.... I swear I got such a buzz off of this, much more so than his other tidbit releases. This completely reminds me of The Come Over Guest House and the towers of Kowloon, quite simply by just seeing "1F"!!

Choubu, please book me in for December 2017. Thanks!
by Peter
Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic