Search found 31 matches

Return

Re: Shenmue NeoGaf Thread #SaveShenmue

I have a neogaf account, please let me know how I can help.
by code l name
Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your Reaction To The News of SIII Announcement?

Like many I read the chatter before the event including Suzuki's forklift twitter posting but after so many years and so many disappointments I deliberately told myself not to expect anything.

When Last Guardian opened the event, I raised my hopes thinking this could be it. Nothing. Then the FF7 remake announcement came and I thought there was no way Shenmue III will now appear.

The moment I saw Kickstarter logo something changed and when that music and introduction came in I was ecstatic. M girlfriend came into the room who is a non-gamer so I resisted the urge to scream and shout but inside I was jumping inside when Suzuki came out. Immediately grabbed my wallet and pledged $300. First time I've ever contributed to a KS campaign.
by code l name
Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fucking Wang...

the weird thing is though. he fled to hong kong during shenmue 2 where he can be found in the yan tin apartments hiding

Isn't that his twin brother in the Yan Tin Apts?

It's his brother plus it arguably must go down as the worst piece of voice-acting in both games. Absolutely ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yolh7g0v2-U
by code l name
Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The reunion topic.

Checking in to say hello.

I was never the most active member although I did spend a lot of my time bitching about videogames and Shenmue with Ziming, Miles and a few others on MSN back in the day. Including getting into a few disagreements with Lan DC :lol:

I was also sad to see no Silas yet :( By the way does anyone remember the poster who had Miami Heat signature and avatar? B-Man or something...sorry memory is failing me here.
by code l name
Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 - All stretch goals announced.....

Added another $100 onto my existing pledge
by code l name
Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 - All stretch goals announced.....

Image shamlessly stoln from GAF

by code l name
Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rough transcript of the interview on Twitch

Thank you for your effort.

Can Kiyuu or someone provide us an accurate translation for some of Yu's answers? I feel translator gave us a sloppy translation on many questions.
by code l name
Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Shenhua face!

Still needs tweaking but it's getting there. I also hope they keep the costume colour in line with the art-work/original models

by code l name
Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $30 on the 3rd - PLAN OF ATTACK

BTW- maybe I missed it but which one of you is master15 at neogaf?? haha

Me. Why?

I just seem to notice your posts a lot and was just curious. You have been pushing the KS well =D>

I was thinking I might have been elf

Trying to do my small bit for the brethren. I figured Neogaf gets quite a lot of traffic and the Shenmue thread has constantly been on the first few pages of the gaming board since the KS announcement.
by code l name
Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kavinsky just tweeted out the Shenmue Kickstarter

That's very neat. I guess someone brought the campaign to his attention.
by code l name
Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #23 - PS4 physical copy & New reward tiers add

NismoZZzz wrote: Image

Fuck it.

Thank you kind sir.
by code l name
Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NeoGAF Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Topic revamped

Much better! Thanks Ziming.

A few of us have been trying to keep that thread and physical PS4 thread near the top of the pile as the more exposure we can get the better until the end of the KS campaign. Judging from the comments there's a lot of new Shenmue fans which is fantastic news.
by code l name
Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Guest

Jump to topic

AwesomeJapan - postmortem performance

Now the campaign is over I think it's fair for us to look back and evaluate the performance of AJ over the past 1 month. Many of us fans who pledged substantial sums of money had many legitimate concerns during the campaign and I saw forum posting which catalogued many of the errors which occurred.

Let's have a look:

- Project started without a description of what Shenmue is. Later featured a still somewhat crudely made fan video as a fix.
- The Kickstarter Trailer - even though in early production failed to communicate what the series was about or excite anyone that wasn't already fan
- The Kickstarter Trailer featured a main character that was unrecognizable to the fans.
- Banners used neon colored dropshadows and looked extremely crude.
- The Website (shenmue.info) is an unusable mess, without any significant content.
- The initial reward structure was heavily flawed (with huge gaps between significant pledge points.)
- The final reward structure is heavily flawed with far too many entries, which created more confusion in the end.
- Adding additional rewards using the same Kickstarter account was impossible to the end despite the community pleading for add-ons.
- None of the Kickstarter Goals ever got explained on Kickstarter - which again posed a problem for more casual backers.
- There was no communication regarding building momentum to reach a certain goal, and no communication congratulating the community on having reached a certain goals at times.
- Instead what we got as "information" we had to aggregate between a Famitsu interview, a Reddit AMA and a Faq - ourselves, project management didn't.
- The AMA on Reddit was botched with the management misplacing an account password, or not setting up analytics properly, or not authenticating the account with reddits AMA team (probably) and having to switch reddit threads mid conversation.
- After concentrated confusion about what the backing goals where the Kickstarter Team released the entire list as a whole - without contextualizing the goals.
- In the first few days they managed to produce the rumor, that the project was mainly funded by Sony, then did not react to it. The rumor then got picked up by internet media.
- When everyone was complaining about their lackluster reward structure, they added very limited high roller rewards as a reaction, which mostly sold out within a day - producing some resentment in the process.
- Funding goals sometimes got checked off hours after they were reached - without any comments.
- Produced video interviews, which first were hosted on Kickstarter - but then switched to youtube - hosting two versions of each and every one of them at all times - splitting the audience. We had to rey on the Dojo to provide is subtitled videos.
- The first twitch stream "for the fans" was a -likeable- disaster, featuring an odd mix of QVC presentation, scripted Q&A, reading out loud FAQ questions instead of posting them on the site, and failing to read a chat - also the video quality was abysmal - because they hadn't bothered testing the equipment
- Halfway through the Kickstarter they introduced a Poll for reward tiers - which went live with half the price brackets (which its main purpose in gauging the audience) missing.
- To get participation they bundled it with a "who is your favorite character" poll - which was so useless, they gladly featured it in a 30 Minute segment within the celebration stream - one week after they released the results to the public anyhow.
- The celebration stream began late "because of technical difficulties", then featured a 20 minute echo fest after one of the translators (one of which had a really hard time at producing english sentences), or one of the segment producers, presumably took off their headphones and turned on their speakers.
- The celebration stream then cut out because of a "power outage".
- The celebration stream then came back on late, because of a computer failure after the power outage.
- Once the celebration stream was back - they couldn't get the audio to play on both the fan reaction segment and the fan videos segment - but went through with them anyhow.
- During the celebration stream, which they said multiple times, was set in their "studio" - there was a nice interlude of construction site soundbits - while the video sound wasn't working for them, so at least there was some atmosphere they could talk over...
- They announced paypal in a half sentence somewhere in the last third of awful celebration Twitch stream - but made sure, that it WAS NOT UP , when all the "New video game record on Kickstarter" and "Shenmue Kickstarter finished" news articles went up. In fact it isn't even up as we speak.
- No updates reacting to the Kickstarter finishing. At all - much less in this record breaking way.

Now the campaign was successful in spite of AJ's all around awfulness. The fans stood up and got it done but no matter how proud I am of the community, as a huge Shenmue fan I want to see the series reach it's full potential. These errors ensured that money was left on the table and we were not able to maximize the momentum and goodwill of the fans.

Shenmue 3 is trending on Twitter right now. Are they capitalizing on this with post-funding Paypal options. NO! And we may not see an update until Tuesday. In the world of the internet this isn't acceptable.

Suzuki, Cedric and co do also need to take a share of the blame. After all they selected AJ and frankly should have held them to much higher standards.
by code l name
Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AwesomeJapan - postmortem performance

I agree with every criticism against AJ, but I have to say a major disappointment was the scene with shenhua and ryo, with their incorrect modelling and bad voice acting. That would have been directed by Suzuki and I doubt Awesome Japan would dare ask for changes. That scene should have hinted at things to come in part 3. Plus the concept-art could have been more descriptive or enticing, and that's also Suzuki's domain.

Oh I completely agree. I'm sure AJ at times were held back with what Suzuki and co were able to provide.

I thought the initial KS launch video was a giant mess. You have Yu's initial comments and then he rambles on about the 'technique scrolls' in vague, unclear language which frankly is confusing to new and existing fans alike. In addition if we've learnt anything from his subsequent interviews, mechanics like rapport system or character perspective system seem much more important to the overall design of Shenmue 3 yet are barely mentioned in the campaign itself!

It all seemed so rushed. I mean they get the original statue busts (a rare and highly sort after item from Shenmue fans) at the 11th hour and offer it at a tier way below market value, especially compared to the other 100 tiers they seemed to offer at a repetitive and predictable pace.

Suzuki was tweeting cool art-work of Shenmue 3 throughout the month. Was that integrated into the campaign? Nope. Like I said it's abundantly clear these guys had zero media strategy, not forgetting their absolute pitiful footprint on social media.
by code l name
Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone worried that Yu might listen to the fans too much

There is nothing worse than fan-service. I absolutely loathe it.

I'm a big proponent of the auteur theory and whether it matches our expectations I strongly believe Suzuki should follow his original vision and blue-print with Shenmue III. I do not want fans having input on the story, characters or narrative. Community input can be used in other elements but I hope Suzuki stays true to his intended designs and mechanics he wants to see.

Designing by community is always an awful idea in media entertainment and you get a watered down, middle of the road product. I would hate to see something similar with Shenmue III.
by code l name
Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki officially announces Paypal support for Shenmu

shredingskin wrote:
NeoShredder wrote: Perhaps they're holding out until they've collected the money from this round?

For what ? Also most kickstarters have paypal even before finishing it.

Exactly. There's absolutely no reasonable excuse why this isn't available yet. Chalk up another blunder for a poorly run campaign.
by code l name
Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

At this point I don't care. It's past (thank God!).
We've had the best kickstarter campaign and now we can focus on the actual game content and not some marketing campaign.

What if they get to run the long term funding through Paypal? It will be a disaster. The coming 6 months will be crucial for funding, while at the same time the development team will have little to show. Marketing and transparency in communication will continue to play an important role. Things AJ can't be trusted with.

Great post. I really hope they are able to build enough capacity within Ysnet to run this by themselves but I frankly don't expect communication to be a whole lot better. Getting a community manager to channel the passion and dedication of the fanbase would be a good start.

The last Twitch stream was a success despite the power outage, AJ turned it around after the Twitch stream for the most part. Even I, one of AJ's biggest critics on this forum is giving them slack because they showed that they up to stepping up to the plate.

What is your definition of success regarding the Twitch stream? The fact even after a catastrophic first Twitch stream they still had technical problems and there was echo for the first 10-15 minutes of the stream. The supposed power outage was magnified by a computer problem they had on their end. During fan segment the audio wasn't working. Instead of pitching the last few higher tier items they spent 30 minutes talking about a public poll they took, the results which were released weeks earlier.

You're a good poster but tell me how exactly did AJ step it up. Seriously what ideas did they implement (Which the community didn't pester and ask for repeatedly) did they include in the KS campaign?

The campaign was not good. PR was poor.

And yet, we will; still get Shenmue 3.

I don't know if the PR was poor, we did break records but I think it's very apparent the campaign didn't come close to realizing its full potential due to mismanagement.
by code l name
Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki officially announces Paypal support for Shenmu

Who indicated that? I think the majority of people were saying the Paypal option should have gone immediately live after the KS ended. Instead community and fans are left wondering why the campaign failed again the basic fundamentals.
by code l name
Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They deserve a tap on the shoulder for putting their best effort into acting on the advice from the community, but that doesn't absolve them from being incompetent. I wish they had had that learning experience with another project, not the revival of a fan favorite classic 14 years after its untimely death.

Exactly, I love people trying to defend their performance by saying they learnt and improved as the campaign went on like this was some type of educational endeavour. And when they cite these so called improvements, you can find out this was only due to the community having to back channel the co-producer of the game and demand improvements be made.

The fact that Cedric became more of a mouth piece and engaged the community more than AJ themselves I think speaks volumes to their effort.

I find it somewhat humorous, suddenly the same people that discuss topics ad nauseam about a videogame they've completed hundreds of times over the years suddenly rule certain topics don't bear further analysis or discussion. I guess some people really do like pleading ignorance...
by code l name
Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NoconKid working on Shenmue III :)

That's absolutely brilliant. I think many of us agree that he absolutely nailed the aesthetics of what we would like to see with a HD remaster.

Happy to see him involved.
by code l name
Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Corey Marshall Interview & Community Q&A

Thanks for the interview. A couple of quick comments:

- Audio levels for Corey were a little fuzzy and he came in and out at times
- Didn't particularly care for superhero/movie talk

Some good questions but have heard some of this stuff from earlier interviews with Corey. Would loved if you probed him more on his approach, methodology and attitude towards voice-acting in Shenmue III (Although I will be playing with Japanese VA).
by code l name
Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #73: New Progress Video!

So the June update on the logo was moot?

I mean how hard is it to give fans the proper logo?
by code l name
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So the June update on the logo was moot?

I mean how hard is it to give fans the proper logo?
Read what Yu said. It's kind of his last stand on having a new logo.

I read what he said. So my point still stands why did we get this update in June?

Yes, Shenmue III has updated its title logo. Taking your comments into consideration, Yu Suzuki and the team gave the title logo another hard look and decided to update the logo with this design.

If they have reverted and given us frankly a severely inferior logo in every respect. This matter should have been handled a long time ago yet here we are still discussing Yu-san and the team getting the logo correct.
by code l name
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are a great poster Spaghetti but you've knee jerk defense of every aspect of Shenmue 3 and its related development continues to stifle real or constructive criticism. And trust me there's been a lot to criticize.

You and others may think a logo isn't a large thing in the overarching development of the title but I think it speaks to the messy and frankly disjointed nature of the way many things have been rolled out during the KS campaign. The majority of the fans clearly spoke out and stated their clear preference a long time ago. It appeared the team and Yu-San finally came to their senses and provided us the June KS update.

The fact they've gone back on this and provided frankly a logo that many derided before knowing Yu-San was behind it, I think speaks volumes. Cursive is going to win out? It doesn't explain the insentient back and forth when this should have been finalized as it appeared to be in June and Yu's attention is concentrated on frankly more important matters.

Also piece of advice, don't tell backers who have spent their hard earned dollars and have been life-long fans of the series how to react or behave.
by code l name
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Screens + Note From Yu via Playstation Blog

These screenshots looks wonderful. I admit when Ryo's new model was shown earlier this week I had a lot of hesitation, even in the teaser trailer but he looks wonderful here. The environments continue to impress.

Very happy with this.
by code l name
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mixed reaction from general audience

I think it speaks to how poorly thought out and executed the game's marketing material has been to date. I don't know exactly where the blame lies but it was pretty obvious that there were many elements with regards to the games character models, lack of animation, very bizarre key lighting, abrupt cuts in the trailer that shouldn't have been made for the public consumption.

With that said I think the latest screenshots give me a lot of heart and I am quietly optimistic.
by code l name
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #74 - Gamescom Travelogue

I relatively happy with new screens. I think Ryo's model is coming along nicely.

Anyone get vibes from previous Shenmue art work from this screenshot?

http://shenmue.link/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/S3_Ctsn_0831_03.jpg

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/ryoEDGE.jpg
by code l name
Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #74 - Gamescom Travelogue

Peter wrote: Thank you!! I spent ages looking for that exact image earlier!

You are welcome. It's one of my favourite pieces from Shenmue and I think perfectly encapsulates what makes the series so special.
by code l name
Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter update #81 - Shenmue 3 delayed until 2019

The announcement of HD release softens the blow of the delay although not unexpected as others stated. Interesting to see what the eventual 2019 release date will be and if that means the game will have limited E3 exposure.
by code l name
Wed May 16, 2018 1:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic