Search found 14 matches

Return

Re: 30 on the 3rd: A Roaring Success

As I said over on the actual KS comments section yesterday, #30onthe3rd is the proudest I've ever felt to be a gamer. I feel like we achieved something real, something meaningful, and an act of sheer defiance against the odds.

Everything stacked against this campaign - from the nature of the game itself (we don't like to admit it, but it's becoming clear that the games really only hold niche appeal despite the great sales of the original at the time, imo) to the gaming media distortions (creating the impression that Sony is either benefitting from or fully funding the project) to the high goals (high sticker price Kickstarters for video games are a fairly new invention and don't always do well) to the arguably less than ideal campaign presentation - all made yesterday's "victory" even sweeter.

I feel like we secured the game's future yesterday, ensuring that it will, whatever else it may be or not be, at least be something more than just the bare minimum now.

I now have no doubt that we will:

⋅ Reach 4.2 million (probably today)
⋅ Reach 5.1 million (probably thanks to more forthcoming rewards and media coverage, IF the media can get off their figurative kiesters and report on what was achieved yesterday in a balanced manner lol) but if not, then certainly in the final push

I have some lingering concerns about the physical scale of the game, and how substantial it will feel if we don't hit at least 8 million. And I do fear that without another announcement to rival the PS4 physical release, and some in depth, hard hitting promotion on major sites, we will never break 6 million.

But all of that is negligible to me next to the awesome feeling of pride and joy I harbor at having been a part of what happened yesterday. Yes, the new rewards put it over the top, but #30onthe3rd came straight from the heart and soul of the hardest of the hardcore Shenmue fans, to sprinkle miracle dust on the gaming world. And that is awesome. And that is almost not even hyperbole because of how awesome it was lol.
by Anonymous81
Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A Gamer's Journey: The Definitive History of Shenmue

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What's Shenmue - History (Kickstarter Website)

Video from this page: http://shenmue.link/us-en/history.html

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki officially announces Paypal support for Shenmu

So where is the donation page? Are they still settng one up?

Yes, but Awesome Japan doesn't work on Saturdays. Not even for this exceptionally rare case.

They're way too busy celebrating, after essentially having gotten paid to take suggestions from the Shenmue community on how to run a KS campaign :roll:
by punkmanced
Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It doesn't have to do with "fees" any middleware will take a cut from the money, it was about riding the wave of the KS record, so it could be on the news and get people that were hyped but haven't backed could get on the train.

It's just stupid, really bad management. What's the point of cutting momentum ? NONE.
by shredingskin
Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

really they should have had the paypal page up and ready for the end of the stream along with all the available paypal pledging options and the stretch goals lists ready for updates...

.. by the time its up the end of the kick starter is reported everywhere and the momentum is gone.
by RiGoRmOrTiS
Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The attention of the average internet user is fickle at best. By the time Suzuki and co finally manage to pull their fingers from their butt, those people have moved on.

Pretty much that, a lot of people that didn't play the games got hyped just by everyone else around it, even if they were skeptic about the quality of the game they would see the ammount pledged/record and think "this will be a fine game" or just want to be part of "it".

If they make the wait a little bit longer it'll just be a time for peoplr that couldn't pledged on KS and for the newcomers will be a glorified preorder. Specially if they go on a news/updates blackout.
by shredingskin
Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AwesomeJapan - postmortem performance

Awesome Japan did a really bad job in my opinion. From the start they appeared very amateur. I'm a huge fan and when I first saw the kickstartrr page I was almost immediately turned off. Firstly the intro video footage of the game I thought was a parody or something. They could have put a bit more effort into it? I can easily see how lame it would look to new people. Bad animation, bad acting (monotone yeah) and uninformative narrative. It was pointless.

Then there's the rewards, which were so lame to begin with. Most people would be around the 30-150 tier and it took days to get suitable rewards for that category. The grammatical mistakes, ugh. I just don't understand? If they took 5 seconds to at least copy into MS Word or proof read it, it would have made them look much more professional yet they made some really silly mistakes. This company's sole purpose is to be a clear communicator and organiser so how did they screw it up?

The first twitch was the most awkward and cringy interview I have ever seen broadcasted. Some of the questions asked were blatantly scripted, there was no real organization. The red shirt guy made what was supposed to be a concise QnA into a comical, cringe worthy convoluted piece of crap that I've ever had the displeasure of watching. I was rethinking at this stage about the pledge. The video quality and the quality of the content was so fricken amateur.

Then the last twitch, which was severely delayed at such a critical time. You'd think they would test everything well before. The updates and feedback was anticlimactic. Reaching all those goals and hardly any acknowledgement. Lots of uncertainty and questions left unanswered, unupdated FAQs.

While I'm very happy with the final outcome. I am left with a bitter feeling that I can't get over. Had they presented the whole campaign in a professional, informative manner from the start, how much better we would have done. First impressions matter the most in these campaigns and had it not been for the community I truly believe this would have been a disaster. Still today there has been no video or updates congratulating and thanking everyone. No word about PayPal.

Just my 2 cents.
by fr33sty13
Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

At this point I don't care. It's past (thank God!).
We've had the best kickstarter campaign and now we can focus on the actual game content and not some marketing campaign.

What if they get to run the long term funding through Paypal? It will be a disaster. The coming 6 months will be crucial for funding, while at the same time the development team will have little to show. Marketing and transparency in communication will continue to play an important role. Things AJ can't be trusted with.
by Dragon St.
Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

People said AJ couldn't be trusted with charging us because they'd ruin things because they were "taking the weekend" off but they ended up charging us yesterday. The last Twitch stream was a success despite the power outage, AJ turned it around after the Twitch stream for the most part. Even I, one of AJ's biggest critics on this forum is giving them slack because they showed that they up to stepping up to the plate. Despite all of this evidence, you guys still are giving AJ a hard time. Get over it.

Uhh, no. The charging process is automatically handled by Kickstarter. AJ has nothing to do with this. They are taking the weekend off, again. They will write their 5 minute thank you message on Monday.

And although the second stream was a lot better, it did not make much sense to me to explain the rewards 20 minutes before the end (especially the busts that were priced way too low and were long gone). And presenting the poll results they already published in an update before? #-o
by Dragon St.
Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They deserve a tap on the shoulder for putting their best effort into acting on the advice from the community, but that doesn't absolve them from being incompetent. I wish they had had that learning experience with another project, not the revival of a fan favorite classic 14 years after its untimely death. Sure, it is over, but no way they are getting my gratitude. They should be thanking the community, really, and in an ideal world, the community would have got a cut - if only to invest in the hosting of their sites and forums. -)

In Yu we trust.

I'm not saying they weren't incompetent. I'm just saying that making bullet lists and moaning about the incompetence feels pointless now that we've made 6.3 million dollars.
It is never pointless. If anything, it makes the frustrated feel better. It is not even about feeling disappointed that it could have been done better, it is the very fact that such incompetence exists and manages to get involved in such important work that rubs some people the wrong way. It is like complaining about politics, I guess. Nobody is trying to teach AJ a lesson or make the world a better place here, but you can't deny us the right to express our opinion about what upsets us even still. -)

In Yu we trust.
by Snakiest
Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

3-4 days after the end of the campaign, and not even a simple Kickstarter update.
Round of applause for Awesome Japan :roll:
by punkmanced
Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic