Search found 757 matches

Return

Re: Vote for Ryo in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transforme

Change.org is down. I think Kazuma's gone into rage mode on their servers after seeing how badly Ryo's been kicking his ass.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Skies of Arcadia HD news (GAF topic)

Apparent magazine scan here:
http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/55061/Skies+of+Arcadia+HD+revealed/

Bear in mind however that this is the same website whose own interview with Ben Harborne started the whole Shenmue/Skies HD excitement back in March, so they're naturally going to encourage any rumor that adds weight to their initial scoop. For fans' sake I hope an official announcement follows.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue retrospective

I preferred the other recent article, IAmNotABot's, where the passion flowed off the page. This one's a little more restrained, written in a self-conscious style of forced analysis that barely reflects his motivation for such a pilgrimage. If you want to convert a non-believer, show them the other one first.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega is shutting down Youtube channels for their new gam

"Sir, people on the Internet are saying we're not as good as we used to be! Word's beginning to spread, sir!"

"Hmmmm... Very well, destroy all evidence of how good we used to be. Then we can blame it on rose-tinted spectacles!"

"Genius, sir, utter genius."
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So what is the Dojo doing, actively, to engage the userbase it has gathered over the past ten years or so into voting for Ryo and spreading the word to their friends?

I see one tweet on the Dojo's Twitter account, back on the 19th. Of those 814 followers, I'd venture to say that this one tweet would easily have been missed by enough would-be voters to catch up with Miku now. Would it hurt to post another? Nobody's going to unfollow after reading the same thing twice, over a week apart.

Putting the news on the front page is good, but for those who don't visit on a regular basis, how about an email sent out to all 6200+ forum members? Isn't this the type of occasion that such a function was built for? Again, no Shenmue fan's going to abandon the Dojo for daring to darken their inbox with an urgent call to action.

If Ryo finishes second then he'll still be included on the list presented to Sega (probably). But if his fanbase proves more powerful than even the fearsome cult of Miku, that surely becomes a much bigger bargaining chip for Shenmue III. As long as there's more we can do to achieve unqualified success, is there any reason at all not to be doing it? If not now, then when?
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Be that as it may, it's still a very useful promotional tool that should be exploited to its full potential for a cause like this.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another thing that I want to know is why the hell were non sega characters in the thread...

As far as I know, this game is called "SONIC AND SEGA ALL STARS", not "SONIC, SEGA & ALMOSTSEMINONSEGATALL ALLSTARS"... Well, I respect that but still don't find a reason...

When the petitions were set up, there was a rule against non-Sega characters but also some confusion around the licensing of Miku, so she was allowed to stay after it was later discovered that Sega don't own the rights.

That said, the actual title of this game is Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - not specifically Sega All-Stars. And there are already characters in the game who aren't the property of Sega: Danica Patrick and Wreck-It Ralph.

So basically it was a series if ambiguities and gray areas that allowed the likes of Miku to proceed as a contestant. If she hadn't had the kind of support she did, then perhaps the organizers would have been firmer, but apparently an angry mob of anime schoolgirl fans is something to be feared.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I saw that. :lol:

S0L posted this on the Sega forum today as well, echoing comments he's made in the past:

If I was Yu Suzuki, I'd create a Kickstarter to obtain the rights from SEGA and fund Shenmue III...
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Any other bronies on the dojo?

On TV they were trying to interview one of the stars of this show, but she seemed to be a little hoarse.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You just beat me too it while I was typing, FourCartridge. :D

1% of Miku's votes were fake, 1.5% of Ryo's votes were fake. But Ryo still had more legit votes. 8)

Not sure how many of you have seen the discussion on Sega's forum about Shenmue III following Ryo's win, but have a read here.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Team Yu needs you!

The Tweetathon went extremely well yesterday, so props to the forum members who made the simple effort. Here's a little more info about it.

As for Dojo management, what more can I say? I thought progress was being made with posts like this and the thanks received on this , but the silence of the website's official channels is now beyond conspicuous.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nice attitude Ryudo.

The point however isn't about individual forum members, amongst whom there will always be a certain amount of apathy and pessimism. The point is about the Dojo itself upholding its position as a beacon for Shenmue fandom.

Don't get me wrong, the campaign doesn't rely on the Dojo's help. It would have meant a lot more when Team Yu was just getting started, and I emailed Yama to no response. So nothing's changed there, apart from the attention we've since garnered on our own. But it would still be nice if this site (as in, its official outlets, again not its members) would demonstrate some of that unity that was talked about during the All-Stars poll, for which I again had to kick and stamp my feet to get anything more than a solitary post out of each of the Dojo's official channels, while the rest of the Shenmue fanbase were plugging away day and night to earn and secure Ryo's place on top.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Although I wrote the item quoted in that post, I was a little nervous when I learned someone had pasted it straight onto Sega's forum, where the reception was always going to be frostier than amongst the Shenmue fans it was intended for. But all things considered I think the thread has turned out rather well. Those who've tried wheeling out the old excuses against Shenmue III have had no comeback against the logic of fans who've given more than a minute's thought to the conundrum. The accepted wisdom has been broken down and exposed for the lazy thinking it's always been, and I'm now pretty pleased that it was given the opportunity to happen on Sega's own official platform.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Virtual Morals

As much as people rave about Red Dead Redemption, I've always been hesitant to buy it due to the animal hunting aspect. There's just no part of my brain that can convince itself that such a thing is enjoyable.

Slaughtering women and children? Bring it on.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Games With Interesting & Immersive Stories/Settings

I recently played To The Moon, a short, inexpensive PC game with little in the way of gameplay but one of the most touching stories I've ever encountered. I'd recommend it in the strongest possible terms if you're looking for something that'll stick with you.

In a less profound way, one of my favorite game stories/settings was Omikron: The Nomad Soul on PC and Dreamcast. The terrific atmosphere and background detail made up for some iffy (yet ambitious for the time) gameplay. It became one of those gaming worlds that would be interesting to visit in real life.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Just woke up from a SIII dream!

Even in fans' dreams, Sega can't resist leaving Shenmue on a damn cliffhanger.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Dojo Hosting Upgrade + Happy Holidays!

I wasn't overly familiar with the previous iteration, but for what it's worth I like the current design and don't have any problems with the interface. If I did, and I felt it warranted comment, I'd probably try and offer something more constructive than "it's very bad." What is it that you preferred about the old look, cube_b3? And what difficulties do you encounter when navigating the site? Answer those questions and your criticism might be taken as useful rather than inflamatory.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

FAO: Dojo management... again.

Shenmue fans have adopted the word UNITY for you, in the hope that you'll remember what it means. The proceeds have gone to a charity that helps speechless children learn to communicate...

http://teamyu.net/dojounity.jpg

http://adoptaword.com/search-results.php?word=unity

If you decide you'd like to start representing a fanbase that's actively campaigning for this series - the name on the Dojo's marquee - then please do. It's not difficult or time consuming at all, that's the key to its continued growth, but I'm only too happy to help you get started if you have questions.

Otherwise, if Yama didn't mean these words and Ziming's finger slipped when he thanked this post , then I'll concede I'm wasting my time. But I feel those on the Dojo who support the Tweetathon deserve support in turn from the leaders of the website they inhabit and contribute to. That's what a community does.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your favourite example of attention to detail in Shenmue

I liked the example that someone brought up in another recent topic. The fact that we're never supposed to be awake at dawn to see it, but they programmed a full sunrise anyway. Why? Because Shenmue, that's why.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Team Yu, together with Shenmue 500K, promotes a regular Tweetathon asking fans to express their dissatisfaction with Sega's unwillingness to commit to Shenmue 3 by using the Twitter hashtag #GiveYuTheShenmueLicense on the 3rd of each month.

What we'd like from Dojo management is a response to our requests for them to support the event with the Dojo's official outlets, most specifically the @Shenmue_Dojo account on Twitter.

Ideally of course we'd like them to say "Yes, of course we'll do this. We run a website made by Shenmue fans, for Shenmue fans, and so there's no reason we can't take a few seconds out of our day once a month to help promote the only active and growing campaign for Shenmue 3."

But if they won't to do that, then we'd like them to at lease take responsibility for that decision and explain why.

Hope that covers everything, KiBa.

PS: Just this morning, the ShenmueFans page on Facebook with over 15,000 subscribers agreed to help promote the event, just as they did with the All-Stars contest. That's the kind of unity we're looking for between fansite managers.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best 3DS/DS games

The DS is a goldmine if you can weed through the hamster cooking sims.

Here are some of my favorites:

Soul Bubbles
Elite Beat Agents
Super Scribblenauts
Jewel Quest Expeditions
Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Mario & Luigi: Brothers in Time/Bowser's Inside Story
Ace Attorney series (Phoenix Wright, Apollo Justice, Miles Edgeworth)

I've played very few games on my 3DS so far. You have Mario 3D Land, and I'm sure you already have an opinion on Ocarina of Time, so that just leaves me to say: "Lego Pirates of the Carribbean is not a series highlight."
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So I've spent the evening totting up tweets, because I'm a dude who knows how to spend a Friday night, and it's good news again .

And call me an optimist Ziming, but I hope the number of retweets that your message received, compared with other recent output on the @Shenmue_Dojo account (32 vs 5, 4, 1, 0, 2, 1, 1, 0, 1, 0...), might give you pause for thought on what it is that Shenmue fans really care about. I think it goes to show that not everyone within your sphere of influence is as campaign-weary and jaded towards Shenmue III as you're feeling right now. I'd be delighted if this perked up your spirits, but of course I'll gladly settle for another tweet every 3rd of the month. :)
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Do I Do?

Is this a lost script for Keenan & Kel?
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Do I Do?

"It wasn't cheap the first time either, but since you lost all that money you can't afford to replace it yourself dear. It's OK, I didn't need that vacation anyway, there's always next year. You deserve to have the wallet after what you've been through."
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: More Competitors - Valve & nVidia Making Consoles

The nVidia machine looks ridiculous and smacks of "me too" - their nose is just out of joint because none of the main companies are using their tech in their new systems. They're about to find out the hard way that it takes more than a good microchip to make a successful games console.

And flaunting a system like Android that's most commonly associated with mobile phones will turn away more customers than it attracts.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Real Life Shenmue Moments

"I see" is a supremely useful phrase. When you need to register your understanding of what the other person just said, but don't wish to imply approval with "OK," this little gem will see you through. I use it often at work, and always think of Ryo.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: More Competitors - Valve & nVidia Making Consoles

I've only played one game on Steam thus far, so I was slightly alarmed when I started it up and was informed that my computer was "Preparing to launch To the Moon..."
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Real Life Shenmue Moments

ShenmueTree wrote:and to mes with people I ask for sailors. There's only been one person that has ever caught on what I was talking about.

"...and now she is my wife" is how that story needs to end.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We helped Ryo to beat Miku in the All-Stars race. Now let's have him topple John Cena as the most requested Make-A-Wish personality. :king:
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dojo Awards 2012 Final Results

ThyDarkAngel wrote:Jesus is not allowed to open an account on this board.

But if he did, he'd be a shoo-in for Best Comeback.

Again.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dojo Awards 2012 Final Results

Spokane wrote:I didn't expect it to be honest.

Quoted for posterity: Award-winning awards host admitting that it was never going to be honest.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryo and Nozomi

It makes sense really. People from Manchester are called Mancs, Manx is a breed of cat, Shenmue has a cat in it (and Fangmei looks like one).

It's a natural affinity.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone still write notes for playing a game?

In Yakuza I made notes about the hostesses' likes and dislikes so that I wouldn't give the "wrong" answer to questions I'd already faced. If anybody found those notes I think I'd shoot myself.

I also made notes of ongoing feuds in General Manager mode of SmackDown vs Raw 2006, as there was no way of checking this information while booking the card for the next show. Forgot to schedule another match between Triple H and Renee Dupree? Their 4-star feud is stricken from the game's memory; millions of pay-per-view buys lost.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is any other gaming franchise as much a victim of hoaxes

Shenmue is the low hanging fruit of fake gaming news. Surely there must be no troll points left in shooting these barrelled fish.

People who aim to start these rumors clearly having nothing more fulfilling in their lives. I was saying the same to my friends last night while we played the early access Beyond Good & Evil 2 demo.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is any other gaming franchise as much a victim of hoaxes

Not good enough to avoid a typo that's now been quoted twice, thereby preventing a stealth edit.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm starting to feel an obligation to advise people not to go sniffing formaldehyde in the pursuit of Shenmue 3. Seriously people, think about what you're doing.

Snort asbestos instead, it's proven to work.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2003 Members

Or in KiBa's case, bacon for old members.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: World Rankings from Shenmue Passport

No, that's not my point at all. Although I wouldn't boldly assume they don't, either. I'd certainly expect locals to pick out, and be irritated by, any inaccuracies far better than we could. Foreigners are easier to please in that respect.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNsf-dVe8w[/youtube]
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

This is spectacular. But the backstory's all new to me, so can anyone tell me on what grounds the US government decided to take action against Antigua's online gambling industry?
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

Next time the British Army needs to sneak into a candy floss factory, I'm sure they'll give you a call Sonikku.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic