Search found 757 matches

Return

Re: Virtual Morals

As much as people rave about Red Dead Redemption, I've always been hesitant to buy it due to the animal hunting aspect. There's just no part of my brain that can convince itself that such a thing is enjoyable.

Slaughtering women and children? Bring it on.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Games With Interesting & Immersive Stories/Settings

I recently played To The Moon, a short, inexpensive PC game with little in the way of gameplay but one of the most touching stories I've ever encountered. I'd recommend it in the strongest possible terms if you're looking for something that'll stick with you.

In a less profound way, one of my favorite game stories/settings was Omikron: The Nomad Soul on PC and Dreamcast. The terrific atmosphere and background detail made up for some iffy (yet ambitious for the time) gameplay. It became one of those gaming worlds that would be interesting to visit in real life.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Just woke up from a SIII dream!

Even in fans' dreams, Sega can't resist leaving Shenmue on a damn cliffhanger.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Dojo Hosting Upgrade + Happy Holidays!

I wasn't overly familiar with the previous iteration, but for what it's worth I like the current design and don't have any problems with the interface. If I did, and I felt it warranted comment, I'd probably try and offer something more constructive than "it's very bad." What is it that you preferred about the old look, cube_b3? And what difficulties do you encounter when navigating the site? Answer those questions and your criticism might be taken as useful rather than inflamatory.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Team Yu needs you!

FAO: Dojo management... again.

Shenmue fans have adopted the word UNITY for you, in the hope that you'll remember what it means. The proceeds have gone to a charity that helps speechless children learn to communicate...

http://teamyu.net/dojounity.jpg

http://adoptaword.com/search-results.php?word=unity

If you decide you'd like to start representing a fanbase that's actively campaigning for this series - the name on the Dojo's marquee - then please do. It's not difficult or time consuming at all, that's the key to its continued growth, but I'm only too happy to help you get started if you have questions.

Otherwise, if Yama didn't mean these words and Ziming's finger slipped when he thanked this post , then I'll concede I'm wasting my time. But I feel those on the Dojo who support the Tweetathon deserve support in turn from the leaders of the website they inhabit and contribute to. That's what a community does.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your favourite example of attention to detail in Shenmue

I liked the example that someone brought up in another recent topic. The fact that we're never supposed to be awake at dawn to see it, but they programmed a full sunrise anyway. Why? Because Shenmue, that's why.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Team Yu, together with Shenmue 500K, promotes a regular Tweetathon asking fans to express their dissatisfaction with Sega's unwillingness to commit to Shenmue 3 by using the Twitter hashtag #GiveYuTheShenmueLicense on the 3rd of each month.

What we'd like from Dojo management is a response to our requests for them to support the event with the Dojo's official outlets, most specifically the @Shenmue_Dojo account on Twitter.

Ideally of course we'd like them to say "Yes, of course we'll do this. We run a website made by Shenmue fans, for Shenmue fans, and so there's no reason we can't take a few seconds out of our day once a month to help promote the only active and growing campaign for Shenmue 3."

But if they won't to do that, then we'd like them to at lease take responsibility for that decision and explain why.

Hope that covers everything, KiBa.

PS: Just this morning, the ShenmueFans page on Facebook with over 15,000 subscribers agreed to help promote the event, just as they did with the All-Stars contest. That's the kind of unity we're looking for between fansite managers.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best 3DS/DS games

The DS is a goldmine if you can weed through the hamster cooking sims.

Here are some of my favorites:

Soul Bubbles
Elite Beat Agents
Super Scribblenauts
Jewel Quest Expeditions
Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Mario & Luigi: Brothers in Time/Bowser's Inside Story
Ace Attorney series (Phoenix Wright, Apollo Justice, Miles Edgeworth)

I've played very few games on my 3DS so far. You have Mario 3D Land, and I'm sure you already have an opinion on Ocarina of Time, so that just leaves me to say: "Lego Pirates of the Carribbean is not a series highlight."
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So I've spent the evening totting up tweets, because I'm a dude who knows how to spend a Friday night, and it's good news again .

And call me an optimist Ziming, but I hope the number of retweets that your message received, compared with other recent output on the @Shenmue_Dojo account (32 vs 5, 4, 1, 0, 2, 1, 1, 0, 1, 0...), might give you pause for thought on what it is that Shenmue fans really care about. I think it goes to show that not everyone within your sphere of influence is as campaign-weary and jaded towards Shenmue III as you're feeling right now. I'd be delighted if this perked up your spirits, but of course I'll gladly settle for another tweet every 3rd of the month. :)
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Do I Do?

Is this a lost script for Keenan & Kel?
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Do I Do?

"It wasn't cheap the first time either, but since you lost all that money you can't afford to replace it yourself dear. It's OK, I didn't need that vacation anyway, there's always next year. You deserve to have the wallet after what you've been through."
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: More Competitors - Valve & nVidia Making Consoles

The nVidia machine looks ridiculous and smacks of "me too" - their nose is just out of joint because none of the main companies are using their tech in their new systems. They're about to find out the hard way that it takes more than a good microchip to make a successful games console.

And flaunting a system like Android that's most commonly associated with mobile phones will turn away more customers than it attracts.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Real Life Shenmue Moments

"I see" is a supremely useful phrase. When you need to register your understanding of what the other person just said, but don't wish to imply approval with "OK," this little gem will see you through. I use it often at work, and always think of Ryo.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: More Competitors - Valve & nVidia Making Consoles

I've only played one game on Steam thus far, so I was slightly alarmed when I started it up and was informed that my computer was "Preparing to launch To the Moon..."
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Real Life Shenmue Moments

ShenmueTree wrote:and to mes with people I ask for sailors. There's only been one person that has ever caught on what I was talking about.

"...and now she is my wife" is how that story needs to end.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We helped Ryo to beat Miku in the All-Stars race. Now let's have him topple John Cena as the most requested Make-A-Wish personality. :king:
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dojo Awards 2012 Final Results

ThyDarkAngel wrote:Jesus is not allowed to open an account on this board.

But if he did, he'd be a shoo-in for Best Comeback.

Again.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dojo Awards 2012 Final Results

Spokane wrote:I didn't expect it to be honest.

Quoted for posterity: Award-winning awards host admitting that it was never going to be honest.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryo and Nozomi

It makes sense really. People from Manchester are called Mancs, Manx is a breed of cat, Shenmue has a cat in it (and Fangmei looks like one).

It's a natural affinity.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone still write notes for playing a game?

In Yakuza I made notes about the hostesses' likes and dislikes so that I wouldn't give the "wrong" answer to questions I'd already faced. If anybody found those notes I think I'd shoot myself.

I also made notes of ongoing feuds in General Manager mode of SmackDown vs Raw 2006, as there was no way of checking this information while booking the card for the next show. Forgot to schedule another match between Triple H and Renee Dupree? Their 4-star feud is stricken from the game's memory; millions of pay-per-view buys lost.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is any other gaming franchise as much a victim of hoaxes

Shenmue is the low hanging fruit of fake gaming news. Surely there must be no troll points left in shooting these barrelled fish.

People who aim to start these rumors clearly having nothing more fulfilling in their lives. I was saying the same to my friends last night while we played the early access Beyond Good & Evil 2 demo.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is any other gaming franchise as much a victim of hoaxes

Not good enough to avoid a typo that's now been quoted twice, thereby preventing a stealth edit.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm starting to feel an obligation to advise people not to go sniffing formaldehyde in the pursuit of Shenmue 3. Seriously people, think about what you're doing.

Snort asbestos instead, it's proven to work.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2003 Members

Or in KiBa's case, bacon for old members.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: World Rankings from Shenmue Passport

No, that's not my point at all. Although I wouldn't boldly assume they don't, either. I'd certainly expect locals to pick out, and be irritated by, any inaccuracies far better than we could. Foreigners are easier to please in that respect.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vote for Ryo in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transforme

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNsf-dVe8w[/youtube]
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

This is spectacular. But the backstory's all new to me, so can anyone tell me on what grounds the US government decided to take action against Antigua's online gambling industry?
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Next time the British Army needs to sneak into a candy floss factory, I'm sure they'll give you a call Sonikku.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thats the thing I find so terrible. How could they serve knowing this? Are they so afraid of the nebulous threat of the dictator ordering their death? Are they that afraid of someone else, whose also afraid protecting a person that never really earned the power they have?
It's easy for us to judge from afar, from the perspective of people who grew up in a free world where we were raised to believe in ourselves and to challenge oppression. That's ingrained in us from a young age, from the culture all around us. The people of North Korea are ingrained with fear, obedience and inequality. That's their life. They don't have any other frame of reference because their dictatorship cuts them off from outside influences, instead blanketing their senses with propaganda that fuels their intimidation and/or loyalty.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pro Wrestling Official Topic

Ryudo wrote: Ziggler is a poor mans Mr Perfect

Ryudo wrote: Ziggler is a piss poor clone of Curt Hennig.

Ryudo wrote: Zigglers gimmick is not much different than Curt's was. Just he sucks.

Holy smokes, change the record already.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Need YOU to make a gaming purchase decision for me...

Even if both games were to drop in price at the same rate, bear in mind that every dollar spent on Ni No Kuni encourages publishers to take similar risks on localizing JRPGs for the West, whereas Hitman games are going to be churned out till the end of time regardless.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Youtube would like you to pay $

Ryudo wrote:WWE took down a bunch of stuff so has SEGA... :???:

It's all part of the plan. Six months from now we'll be charged $49.99 to watch Luvly KM's buddy at Sega play the only existing copy of Shenmue III.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Guest

Jump to topic

Re: Ryo model from Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing mod for GTA

Not that I could do any better, keep it up. Are there docks in the game where he can go looking for sailors?
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Outdated daily things we take for granted

Bailiffs in courtroom if women I see are often forced to wear skirts as uniform code. I find that from another age where men were defined in pants as men and women were defined in dress as women.
Start a petition

I find the very definition of what is "smart" attire to be outdated. There's just no need for the shirt and tie combo to exist in the 21st century. It's one of those things that each generation inherits and accepts as normal because everyone else is doing it, despite its increasingly apparent absurdity. Maybe I'll start a petition myself.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Future of Playstation. Feb 20th.

Samanosuke Akechi wrote: Said this in another plan,so much for that 10 year plan.

Releasing a PS4 doesn't mean they're going to stop supporting the PS3. Games were still being released on PS2 for years into the current gen. We're going to be seeing multiple versions of new games for a while to come.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Shenmue Campaign Video

I don't think that matters ShenmueTree. I hope similar thoughts aren't causing anyone else to be shy, as the purpose of Jack's video is to be as inclusive as possible. Putting your name down isn't a statement of self-importance, it just means you won't be offended to see your name and profile pic in the video. There's no reason why anyone should be, of course, but it's good manners to obtain permission first.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD/3 Kickstarter

^ What Mittsie said. But to elaborate...

Many reasons why fans cannot and should not take it upon themselves to raise funds "for Shenmue 3" -

1) We don't know how much investment Sega would need in order to make the game. Only Sega knows.

2) Sega needs more than money to make the game. They need to be able to commit time and resources, which means taking staff away from other projects to work on this one. We don't know if or when Sega can make those rearrangements. Only Sega knows.

3) Why should the public trust an unofficial, unendorsed fundraiser to use their cash for the advertised purpose? With the best will in the world, there'll always be a suspicion that at least some of what's raised will be spent on hookers and crack.

4) If reason #3 results in people withholding their donations out of caution, it would misrepresent the demand that exists for this game. Sega would be given the false impression that people don't want the game after all, when in fact that isn't the reason they haven't paid up.

5) If the fundraiser fails to result in Shenmue III, for any of these reasons (and it only takes one), then people will be twice-shy about backing any legitimate, fully endorsed fundraiser that may happen down the line. They'll feel like they already tried this and it went nowhere, and so they'll pass up their chance to really make it happen.

6) Lastly, Kickstarter itself has guidelines stating that a project on the site must have "a clear goal, like making an album, a book, or a work of art. A project will eventually be completed, and something will be produced by it." Without Sega's prior approval, this cannot be guaranteed. The guidelines also state that examples of prohibited use include "promoting the donation of funds raised, or future profits, to a charity or cause." So a fan-organized Shenmue III fundraiser on Sega's unsolicited behalf would not even be allowed on Kickstarter.

In short, as exciting an idea as it may seem to "take the bull by the horns" and raise the money for Shenmue 3 ourselves, in practice it would not only be fruitless but would very probably do more harm to the game's prospects than good. It's a nice thought, but it should remain just that.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Congrats to all who took part - biggest Tweetathon ever . Again!

And that's thanks in no small part to Ziming, who arranged for a post to be made on the 15k-strong ShenmueFans Facebook page, whose admins had been slow to follow through on their promise of support. The topic proved a real hit on their page and I think it had a strong effect on yesterday's turnout.

Shendream has kindly pledged support on behalf of Shenmue Master, but obviously their efforts to wrangle another interview with Yu Suzuki take precedence right now. Meanwhile I have a couple other logs in the fire. The next Tweetathon is of course March 3rd, but if you weren't aware of that pattern by now then I'm doing something very wrong...
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show On The 2nd/3rd Of Ma

mue 26 wrote:Also, why does Yu only attend these completely random gaming shows?

He likes wine so much that he designed his logo around it.

Monaco is slap dab between France and Italy.

Join the dots. :D
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MODELS??

Is that the title?
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've been chasing that guy (not ThatGuy) around the Internet, posting the same response to try and dissuade him and others from promoting his ill-conceived, damaging campaign (or possible scam). I even replied in French on the Shenmue Master forum (albeit in less detail...). So if you see him crop up anywhere else, let me know!
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I see the distinction you're making now. That's fair enough I suppose, although I think fans who see Sega launching a Kickstarter for Shenmue III and then think, "Oh, actually I won't donate in case they don't make it after all," would be in the minority. Most would take it as a real "now or never" invitation to put their money where their mouth is.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic