Search found 1000 matches

Return

Re: Vote for Ryo in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transforme

Yokosuka Martian wrote: Also his daddy's death day. Don't think there's a receipt for that present is there? Fans might still be in mourning. Expect voting to lower :-p

by Ziming
Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SII CHAR DATABASE-ALL 700 (AND 1) CHARACTERS! UPDATE 27/3/15

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/askvera/s2cd_sigbanner.png

DOWNLOAD - https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qkby011a3tkgg2/Shenmue%20II%20Character%20Database.rar

Yep. After nearly a decade, it's done, people :D

HISTORY OF THE SHENMUE II CHARACTER DATABASE PROJECT
Ever since casting my eyes upon screenshots of Shenmue published in the (now defunct) UK magazine Computer and Video Games, I have been absolutely enthralled by the series. This game was definitely something different. As the famous tagline proclaimed in the trailers before its release – RPG had changed. Sure, hailing the game as being its own exciting new “genre” with a somewhat silly acronym as its name (FREE- Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment) was being a tad overzealous perhaps, but you had to admire Yu Suzuki’s ambition for this game. When I finally got to play it on the Christmas morning of 2000, it did not disappoint. The atmosphere created was just amazing to me – a realistic, living, breathing town with over 300 individual characters – all with their own specific daily routines and, in supplementary materials, all named and given detailed biographies! Throw in the fantastic music and the engaging (if not completely original) story and you really had something special. And this was only part one of the saga...

Bundled with the game was the ‘Shenmue Passport’ disc. Through the Dreamcast’s internet connection, this enabled access to all sorts of information about the game, as well as ranking leaderboards for the various mini-games and the chance to get exclusive capsule toys. One of the best features was the character profile section however; as you met and conversed with the characters during a playthrough, their profiles would gradually be added to the Passport. Now to some, giving all 300+ characters names, stats, and biographies may seem extraneous, (especially given characters that Ryo can’t even speak to have detailed information about them!) but it really shows the love and care put into the game by the developers and the amount of depth to Shenmue that few games have matched.

PASSPORT EXPIRED
The Passport service was eventually taken offline in April 2002, but thankfully the character profiles had also been published in Prima’s strategy guide book for the game, so the information was still readily available to fans.
Which brings us to the sequel game, Shenmue II – which I got the following Christmas in 2001. This sadly could end up being the last game in the series, despite it ending on a cliffhanger and at a game-changing point in the saga’s story. Nonetheless, the sequel’s world was even bigger than the first’s– Ryo travels to Hong Kong to continue his quest, with most of its areas completely dwarfing Shenmue I’s in terms of size, as well as the amount of characters – around 700. There was also a lot more mini-games and sidequests to discover, and fans generally agree it is more action-packed and that the plot moves a lot quicker than the first game (though some will argue Shenmue I’s atmosphere has more charm) And what of these 700-odd characters? Were they all named and profiled as per the original game? As it turns out, yes – but these were not readily available to the fans outside of Japan.

Firstly, unlike the first Shenmue, there was no Passport. There was no Prima guide either, as the Dreamcast version had been cancelled in America. America eventually saw an updated version of Shenmue II on the Microsoft Xbox, and a Prima guide was finally published. However, unlike the Shenmue I book, there were only profiles on the main characters; Ryo, Shenhua, Xiuying, Fangmei, Ren, Joy, Wong, Lan Di, Dou Niu and Yuan. The Xbox version, with the new snapshot feature, did include profiles on some of the other characters; unlocked when you took pictures of them, but it didn't come close to having profiles for all the characters. Would we ever know the names and backgrounds of the reams of anonymous characters?

A FAN EFFORT
Shortly after I had completed Shenmue II, I looked around on the internet for fansites/information about the series, ultimately finding the excellent Shenmue Dojo website. I joined the forums, and this was in fact one of the first message boards I signed up to on the internet. My handle on the forum was (and still is) ‘Miles Prower’, as I am also a long-time fan of the Sonic the Hedgehog series of games (and Sega games in general). I made a lot of good friends through the Dojo community and have many fond memories associated with the forums. I think between us we have probably discussed every single aspect of the games to death, but as many fans will attest, you find or notice something new with every playthrough of these wonderful games. Not to mention the very active hacking/modding scene that developed, mostly headed by longtime member LanDC, in which reams of unused content was discovered and many interesting and or humourous modifications made to the game. I still get a warm nostalgic feeling every time I watch LanDC’s Road to Amihama videos in particular.

And indeed, the question of whether detailed character profiles existed for Shenmue II’s cast was raised in discussion. In a thread from 2003, a member named Eek the Cat shared some scans of a guidebook he owned published in Japan called the Shenmue II Perfect Guidebook. The scans showed that there were indeed names and profiles for each and every character.
Eek was even kind enough to put all of the scans together on a CD for me and mail it to me, and even threw in a couple of audio CD’s he had compiled containing music from Shenmue II (sadly the second game never had any official soundtracks released).

The problem? Being that this book was from Japan, the character names were in Chinese and the information in Japanese. Through discussion in the topic, another forum member called khien agreed to help with translating the character names as she could read Chinese. And so began the effort to translate the many character profiles. I began by gradually posting them within the topic, and then eventually creating a website (which, thanks to Web Archive, you can still view here , albeit with most of the images missing).

Continuing into 2004 and beyond, progress was quite slow, mainly due to me starting university. Khien’s life ended up becoming quite busy as well, but thanks to the efforts of another forum member, Oda Ryo, the translation work still continued. The forum member Kiyuu (possibly Japan’s biggest Shenmue fan, and often referred to as the ‘Shenmue Queen’), also informed me that another book existed, the Shenmue II Complete Guide, which contained profiles for characters not included in the Perfect Guidebook; namely those for the many pedestrians who wander the streets of Hong Kong. I made the effort to acquire this book myself and make scans for the remaining profiles.

RESSURECTING THE PROJECT
As the years went on, however, my free time became less and less. I studied for three years at university and after graduating in 2008, I was working full time; in short I was growing up. It was also looking increasingly unlikely that a Shenmue III would ever emerge. Life went on. However, my enthusiasm to complete the project was somewhat fired up again when Peter from the forums (who most likely owns the biggest Shenmue collection in Ireland) got in touch with me on Facebook asking if I was still working on it, as the Dojo staff had managed to get an interview with one of the voice actors for the English dub of Shenmue II (a very interesting read by the way, which can be found here , and they had requested that video clips be assembled of the characters he voiced, which he supplied a list of – but only by name and brief descriptions. Using the information from my project I helped with finding some of them. I then found myself wanting to get the project finished once and for all, and got back in touch with Oda Ryo who happily assisted me with getting the remaining names translated.

I had also spoken to the member ‘thegreatchai’, who had also been attempting to catalogue the character information on her wiki site, and over time we assisted each other greatly. I began transferring the information to an Excel spreadsheet with the intention of creating a complete database of all the Shenmue II characters – which after assembling a numbered list I discovered there are exactly 700 – surely a deliberate intention of the creators? At any rate, after a few months work the project was finally finished. I am glad that this information is now easily accessible to Shenmue fans, and while some may consider me obsessive or downright insane for pursuing with the project, it was worth it for a game series that I love so much and one day hope will be continued in some form. We can but hope. The saga may still go on....

DOWNLOAD - https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qkby011a3tkgg2/Shenmue%20II%20Character%20Database.rar

Please feedback and let me know if you spot any mistakes or errors, or any factoids about the characters that I may have missed. Most of all, enjoy :D
by Miles Prower
Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

People think too much about continuity. Sonic does not ride a car. Vyse does not drive a car. Crazy taxi does not turn into boats or planes. Robotnick might be the only one that makes any sense...and tails maybe. So Ryo can ride his shoe or an alarm clock for all I care.
by Bluecast
Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega is shutting down Youtube channels for their new gam

Fast forward in a year; Sega takes loss. Lays off some staff.

Blames economy.
by Sonikku
Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE II CHARACTER DATABASE - ALL 700 CHARACTERS!!

I remember being psyched when you originally announced this project. Years later, I remember wondering and worrying about what might have happened to this project. I eventually dismissed it as never being completed and with Passport gone, that part of Shenmue (the detailed NPCs) was beginning to be a memory of the past. You have put closure on the security behind retaining all of that information and for that, I thank you. This milestone shows how serious the Shenmue community can get when it comes to the storyline and detailed information. You deserve a lot of credit and a front page news bulletin on every existing Shenmue fan site.

Yu Suzuki would be proud, send him a copy.

=D> :mrgreen: =D>
by shengoro86
Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lan Di-sama wrote: Even if he doesn't make DLC, he won the contest and we've made our point.

Though the former is unjust, I completely agree with this point. The bigger task at hand has been completed, raising awareness. I'm also happy to see the communities unify on this effort, that's how it should always be.
by Yama
Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They should throw us a curve ball and have Lan Di as DLC. A Black Car for driving, helicopter for flying, and.. a boat (to Hong Kong) for the water segments?

Sumo answered me this one, on twitter:

'Steve Lycett ‏@S0LSUM0
@ThyDarkAngel we couldn't get Lan Di in. Not after what happens in Shenmue 3. You know where.... Oh.'

Hehe.
by ThyDarkAngel
Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dark Souls

I figured a topic is due considering that not only is Dark Souls one of the best games in this generation (IMO), but they've also announced a direct sequel, Dark Souls II

Hopelessness, Despair, and Impending Doom Arrives With Dark Souls II

SAN JOSE, Calif. – December 7, 2012 – Leading video game publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. today proudly announces that the critically acclaimed Dark Souls™ saga marches forward with Dark Souls™ II, currently in development at FromSoftware in Tokyo, Japan. Dark Souls II will continue a legacy of goading its passionate fan base with unrelenting challenge and suffering that are considered a hallmark of the series; while presenting new devilishly devised obstacles for players to overcome. Dark Souls II will be available for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PCs.

Built upon the foundation established by Souls series creator and Dark Souls II Supervisor, Hidetaka Miyazaki with development helmed by FromSoftware Director Tomohiro Shibuya, Dark Souls II will feature a new hero, a new storyline, and an unfamiliar world for players to survive in while delivering its signature brand of unrelenting punishment that players hunger for. Epic battles with gruesome enemies and blood-thirsty bosses await adventurers as they traverse through a devastated world filled with death and despair; only those who are strong willed or cunning can survive this journey to achieve great glory. Players seeking to share their experience will discover a revamped server-based multiplayer mode that will put a distinct Dark Souls II twist on the concept of playing with others.

“Dark Souls II retains the core essence of Dark Souls while evolving to present new twists and challenges that are sure to please longtime fans and attract new comers to the series,” says Carlson Choi, Vice President of Marketing at NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. “FromSoftware is going to take a very dark path with Dark Souls II; players will need to look deep within themselves to see if they have the intestinal fortitude to embark on this journey.”

“This new chapter in the Dark Souls saga presents opportunities for us to drive innovation in gameplay design, develop an entirely new story, and expand the scope of the world in which the player interacts with the game. We have taken these necessary steps with Dark Souls II in order to evolve the overall experience of the Dark Souls series,” says Tomohiro Shibuya, FromSoftware Director on Dark Souls II. “The entire development team is striving to make Dark Souls II an experience that is fresh while not forsaking its roots in presenting players with challenging gameplay. Our goal is to surprise and delight our fans with new experiences and plot twists while enticing new players to join our dark journey.”

More details surrounding Dark Souls II will become available in the months leading to its release. Begin your Dark Souls II journey at http://www.DarkSoulsII.com or join the Dark Souls II conversation on Facebook at http://www.Facebook.com/DARKSOULS or follow us on Twitter at http://www.Twitter.com/Filthierich

Official site: http://www.darksoulsii.com/

I cannot wait. As you all know, I love Dark Souls. It's a game that is uncompromising, dark and bleak with tons of atmosphere. Rarely do you play a game and feel so alone and helpless. But at the same time, for all of it's renowned difficulty (and it is difficult, believe me) it is also never unfair and the game does just enough to help you out along the way. More than that, you want to keep playing. You know that as you explore the world, there'll always be something new to find, and there will always be that feeling of "shit, I've ventured too far, these enemies are way more powerful, I shouldn't be here but....the loot!". You fight, you'll die, but you also learn from your mistakes. And there's never a greater feeling than going back to an area that used to give you so much grief in the early stages and be able to plow right through them with your upgraded gear and stats. The game itself is also really innovative in it's multiplayer and you see games like ZombiU now using the messaging system in it's game too.

If you've ever seen the gameplay and think it might not be for you, I urge you to at least try it. None of this 'mash A to win' crap. If you really want to test yourself, knowing that progression in the game is entirely down to your reactions and skills, this is the game for you.
by Tuffty
Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Games With Interesting & Immersive Stories/Settings

I only just played through Journey yesterday, but the hype is completely warranted.
It's short. Very short. And the "story" is so simple that it's almost ( almost ) nonexistent.
But it truly is, as I'm sure has been expressed by others, the kind of game that makes you feel something. It's not the kind of thing that can really be explained in plain words; it looks great, sounds great, and functions well, but there's more to it than that.
The main thing you take away from it is how much it makes you feel uplifted, excited, or even worried within its short two-hour run, all without a single word being uttered. And the experience is even more incredible if you happen to be signed into your PSN account, as the game will drop other players into your game at random.
Now, initially this might sound like a bad idea. Why would you want some dumb, random kid dropping into your game and effing up your experience?
But it just doesn't happen that way. There's nothing they can really do to mess things up. They show up, and it's like they're just taking this journey along with you; you happen to be kindred spirits following the same path. That sounds cheesy, I know, but it's hard to describe it any other way. You help eachother, activate the game's puzzles together, and even, during the game's final stretch, keep eachother "warm" while traversing the game's frigid snow level (seriously, it's a gameplay mechanic). Truly the best use of online play I've ever seen, and it's so incredibly simple and innocent. You stumble across them and immediately bond without using words.
And the game's "ending" really is the kind of thing that will affect everyone a little differently.

It may be stylized, but it's immersive as hell, and it certainly will make you feel something. Don't judge it by the demo up on PSN; the full game has to be experienced to really "get" it.
by OL
Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Just woke up from a SIII dream!

Had you actually ever heard of Tuva before that dream? Its remarkable the kind of shit that we don't even realize we know until it slips out of our subconscious.

Also I can't help but imagine the imprint of the sword and two mirrors you described looking like anything but a giant phallic monument. I don't want to play armchair Freudian dream interpreter, but I think your dreams may be trying to tell you something....
by Rakim
Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: XBox mag: Why Shenmue III is a bad idea

Yeah guys, it might not live up to the previous, so we should just forget about it and so should sega. Guarentee you, the writer of this post has the tiniest balls in the world and never ever dares to fart for fear of shitting his pants. Not even worth reading.
by Coolz
Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gruesome Penis Injury In HORRIFIC Sex Accident

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwQoF105RO4[/youtube]
by Brothaman
Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: THQ files for Bankruptcy

Better games? The WWE series has been shit for a while.

Just don't give it to EA.
by Who Really Cares?
Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You just beat me too it while I was typing, FourCartridge. :D

1% of Miku's votes were fake, 1.5% of Ryo's votes were fake. But Ryo still had more legit votes. 8)

Not sure how many of you have seen the discussion on Sega's forum about Shenmue III following Ryo's win, but have a read here .

The 1st post is simply amazing.
by Fenix
Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Games With Interesting & Immersive Stories/Settings

http://i.imgur.com/52zmi.jpg

Always thought this was one of many overlooked gems of the PS2.From what I remember,there is no combat nor a health bar.But the story itself is what got me interested.I'm not good at typing out reviews so I'll just paste a summary of the gameplay from wikipedia.

The objective of Shadow of Memories is to guide player character Eike Kusch through the fictional German town of Lebensbaum (Life's Tree) as he travels through time to prevent his murder and unmask his murderer.The game takes place in three parts: a prologue, eight chapters,and an epilogue.In the prologue and each chapter,Eike dies,is resurrected by the non-player character Homunculus,and travels back in time before his death with the intent of changing events to prevent it.Shadow of Memories lacks traditional action elements,and Eike cannot attack nor does he have a bar displaying his health.The digipad,a time-traveling item given to Eike by Homunculus,requires energy units,which the player can find scattered around the town.The gameplay primarily consists of time-traveling through the different eras, finding items, and interacting through dialogue with the non-player characters.Actions taken in one time period affect future ones; for example,if Eike removes a seal from the squire's manor in 1580, the seal will not appear in the present era.

Additionally,the game keeps two digital clocks: one depicting the time in the present-day era and another for whichever era Eike time-travels to.The amount of time Eike spends in the different eras also passes in the present-day one.The cut-scenes and dialogue takes up varying amounts of in-game time.When the clock arrives at the time of Eike's death, the chapter restarts; however,if Eike is not in his time period at the time of his death, the game ends.
by Samanosuke Akechi
Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Team Yu needs you!

I've just started using Twitter abit so shall tweet on the 3rd as planned.
by Axm
Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your favourite example of attention to detail in Shenmue

I liked that in the second game an NPC might actually answer the door when you knocked on a random one in an apartment complex.

I also really liked how much homework went into studying the martial arts aspect of the game. One of the move scroll store owners in the Thousand White building asks Ryo if Ryo has practiced martial arts. Ryo replies that he has and asks the store owner how he could tell. The store owner says he could tell by the way Ryo shifts his balance when he walks.

A couple of years ago when I was switching martial art schools one of the teachers asked if I had taken martial arts before on my first day there. I said "yeah, how did you know?" The teacher said he knew by the way I shifted my balance when I walked.
by Calshot
Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Much appreciated, Ziming. I've always felt that even if the tweetathon didn't help, it was a good outlet to display our disappointment with Sega over it, and that's a little something, at least. I believe we gotta stand up and not shut up about it. If you're not happy with something ya gotta speak up or you're forever getting your fudge packed.

There was a scene in the movie About Schmidt (later omitted) that echoes an earlier iconic scene from a much older Nicholson film, 5 Easy Pieces . In it Schmidt gives in to the demands of a waitress, instead of getting what he ordered. It was in early test screenings, but was pretty much deleted, yet a glimmer of it still remains in the movie at the beginning. In 5 Easy Pieces he's in a diner and asks for some toast, but the waitress wouldn't give it to him, and so he spoke up abut it. Here's the clip on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvXVP5lSF1s

This was a normal way of doing things back in the day. Your parents ever embarass you by making a huge fuss over something in public? Same thing here. People don't do this often enough anymore. We're too conciliatory. You might be surprised how often and easily this works. I once got a mailed threat from Blockbuster Video that they would take the money I owed them to collections unless promptly paid. They sent me this for a late fee of about 4 dollars that was only 3 weeks old. Normally, you might expect your customer to pay it the next time they rented a movie, but nooooooo, Them fuckers wanted their cash right now. So I wrote out a check to Ballbuster Video (literally) and in the memo portion wrote " Blockbuster sucks fucking donkey balls. Netflix is better!" They cashed that shit. A few months later, Blockbuster got rid of all late fees. I must not have been the only one to complain. and not too much later, Ballbuster Video pretty much went out of business. That's what happens when you lose sight of things.

One time I was at my local grocery store when the old lady ringing me up (who, I might add, coincidentally looked a lot like the waitress in 5 Easy Pieces) looked at the back of my card, saw no signature (it was a brand new card, got it that day), and reprimanded me on not having my signature on it, She wasn't nice abut it either. So I asked her if I could use her marker, as to oblige her. she gave it to me and I wrote EAT SHIT on it. I handed it back to her and said "HOW YA LIKE THAT, LADY?" The look on her face was priceless! I kept it on my card, and for years wrote it on all subsequent cards, for it really was just a colorful way of writing check ID. This tactic worked like a charm as instead of just glancing at the back of my card, people would go "Whaaaa?" and actually check my id. You should try it if you're having card issues. Most people would just laugh, but once in a while I would get frowns, and one time I was even kicked out by the manager of a Subway for it. More like forbidden to come back to the premises, as I got to finish my sandwich before getting the heave ho. Not like it mattered, the place was out of my neck of the woods. Speaking of Subway ....

A few years ago I would often stop by the nearest Subway to pick up my lunch on my way to work, until suddenly they stopped taking Master Card, and would no longer accept my only form of payment (I refuse to walk around with cash. We live in the future, goddamnit!) The other Subway in town was owned by the same person and thus didn't accept Master Card either. I took it upon myself to send both stores a Txt-to-land-line message every day that read "I am boycotting your store because you won't take Master Card. Because of that, I now eat at Jimmy John's. I am an unsatisfied customer, hear me roar!" It was a celebrity impersonator txt to landline service, and of course I chose Arnold Schwartzenegger. Because when it comes right down to it, ya gotta go with the running man. This went on for 3 and a half weeks until I woke up one fine morning and actually got a reply from the Manager of one of the Subways. She said that they were in negotiations with Master Card, but that they'd take my card anyway. So I went and got me a muthafuckin sammich. Nice happy ending, eh? Years earlier they had a sandwich called the Southwest Chipotle Guacamole crunchamunchfuckafuckafoofoo or smething like that. Either way it had Guacamole, which I had thought was what made the sandwich so tasty, but I was probably just too intoxicated to know I was eating garbage. Anyhw, I only got to eat it three times, the first time drunk, second time right after having a wisdom tooth pulled and still flying high on sodium pentothol, the third time while taking shrooms. The first and only time I took shrooms, and I didn't even really get many visuals, though my senses went into overdrive, felt like I was the six million dollar man, could hear everything outside clearly, and my subway guaca crunchasouthwestafuckafoo sandwich was the best thing I ever ate in my life. It was like angels pooping golden daffodils in your mouth. Wait, that's kind of a shitty metaphor. Anyhow, the sandwich was a limited time deal, I guess. I wrote them an email every day for a few months begging them to bring back the Guac, but it fell on deaf ears. I would make up the dumbest reasons for them to bring it back, like my great grandma was on her death bed, and she had finally mustered up the strength to utter 3 or 4 whateverthefuck words "S-s-suuu-uubbway S-S-southwest G-G-guacamole C-C-cr-crunchamuncha fuckaduppadadippittydo sandw-w-w-wwich." Years later they did indeed bring back the Guac, but it tastes like a fart tart. Maybe it was because I was sober?

My dad used to tell me that if someone punches you, you HAVE TO punch them back, and it's advice to live by. It doesn't matter if they're bigger than you, or that you don't stand a chance. Fucking man up and retaliate, he'd say, otherwise they own you no matter what. We gotta be less like Schmidt, and more like the old codger in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_-BoAw0l4Q
by Shenmue Stare
Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks for giving us a reply and for agreeing to take part on the 3rd Ziming.

I'll try and address your concerns though, since you were good enough to explain. The purpose of the Tweetathon, and what makes it different to previous campaigns, is that our tweets aren't for the direct attention of Sega. A lot of people do @mention Sega's account, and that's fine (as long as Sega doesn't get them suspended for spam...), but the intention is to create a high enough volume of visible unrest, concentrated on one day on a platform as public as Twitter, that even Sega's higher-ups become acutely aware of how their company looks when they ignore the fans.

This is the entire point of our campaign, Ziming. It's not just about shouting at the brick wall that is Sega, it's about appealing to the rest of the world (NOT just existing Shenmue fans), and if we can get enough other people to listen to us then Sega will no choice but to take heed. Sure they can ignore a few hundred or even a few thousand Shenmue fans easily, but they can't ignore their image being significantly tarnished on a very public forum. Who knows, it may be just enough to finally push them over the edge and get them to at least release Shenmue HD.

It's important people understand this, as it's the core premise of this campiagn. We are not just appealing to Sega.

Also, where the hell did this Jack Burton geez come from? This is the first time I've seen him post, and what a knowledge bomb of a first post it was. :nice!:
by mue 26
Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can anyone tell me what this is?

It's non-news.

What it says is that in issue 226, which is out now, they said that: "SEGA is gradually remaking their previous gen games, and the Shenmue games are naturally on top of everyone's list, including ours (the magazine's). We're looking forward to see Ryo again, and we predict we'll see him again in 2013".

I mean, sure, anyone can say that. Rubbish piece of article.
by Vyse Hazuky
Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sounds like a job for you, mue26!

Ay, I would, as I think I've just about gotten over the horrors I saw down in the trenches of rllmuk...but alas Neogaf won't let me register as I have a "free email account". What the hell.

I have, however, taken the opportunity to briefly bring up the campaign on Statueforum yet again. Both bumping my og thread and mentioning the campaign in the dedicated thread they now have for the statue.
by mue 26
Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can anyone tell me what this is?

I mean, the british magazine are fine in the way that they had to answer something to the reader who asked them that. But for a french website to hop on to it like it had any sort of relevance is completely baffling.
by Vyse Hazuky
Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Song Are You Listening To Now?

Belinda Carlisle - Heaven Is A Place On Earth
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOGEyBeoBGM[/youtube]

Pop FTW
by Rakim
Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue I (EDIT: and II) translated into Spanish

Guess I'll have to one-up you and make a Shenmue Edit that's translated into the Native American tribe of the Navajo
by Yokosuka Martian
Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue I translated into Spanish

Here I am, once again, but this time with a different Shenmue: We're translating Shenmue II into Spanish. Or more like, we already have: All the subtitles are in Spanish (We're in the proofreading and testing process right now), but that's the largest part cleared.

This time the perpetrators are PASE, TheFireRed, el_capo, auron_roxas, xulikotony, Viola Rose, PacoChan, Viento and myself. Again, thanks to Manic, Sizious and Ayla.

Here's a couple of videos and a link to all the screenshots released so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLmIeX1KUYc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1-3FY4z9GU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaDfabKXggY

http://i.imgur.com/jkteEs.jpg http://i.imgur.com/9sL0Hs.jpg http://i.imgur.com/fEIQus.jpg http://i.imgur.com/KXGovs.jpg http://i.imgur.com/NHfVds.jpg http://i.imgur.com/RKHFIs.jpg http://i.imgur.com/ByEQws.jpg http://i.imgur.com/iX5g2s.jpg http://i.imgur.com/ekh75s.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Bwrh9s.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CQ5Pbs.png http://i.imgur.com/7kQafs.png http://i.imgur.com/MX1Qus.png http://i.imgur.com/nur1ns.png http://i.imgur.com/HnaHbs.png http://i.imgur.com/wdOcJs.png http://i.imgur.com/k7XV5s.png http://i.imgur.com/SqClos.png http://i.imgur.com/2ay6Js.png http://i.imgur.com/DQxCVs.png http://i.imgur.com/r7JTBs.png http://i.imgur.com/bi7GBs.png http://i.imgur.com/0QVrNs.png http://i.imgur.com/adh27s.png http://i.imgur.com/3b40Qs.png http://i.imgur.com/P5p3gs.png http://i.imgur.com/f3leps.png http://i.imgur.com/nfySQs.png http://i.imgur.com/peTcWs.png http://i.imgur.com/qFmLts.png
by IlDucci
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For the current gen, I would play Shenmue 3 on any console except those made by Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo.
by KiBa
Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks for clearing that question up fer me. Time to tweet then :D
by Yokosuka Martian
Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

TWEETED MUDAFAKAZ!!
by south carmain
Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

They are mostly reading, but from that perspective you need to go into them as if you're simply reading a novel. Remove the idea of them being about "gameplay" from your mind. They're the kind of thing you go into if you're specifically looking for story , so if that doesn't appeal to you, it might be best to steer clear.
That being said though, any reservations you have due to the "anime" nature of it ought to be dissolved by the fact that Henry is the same way. He loves the series in spite the the visuals being anime-style. The writing, characters, and plot twists tend to transcend the old anime cliches you're probably expecting.
And I'm not sure if this is what you mean about "space given to the environment," but the environments tend to be really well-fleshed-out. They're usually very important to the events taking place, so despite being presented with stills (in 999) or panoramic views (in VLR), great care is still given to making you aware of where everything is, how the locations are set up, etc. There's usually even an overhead view that you can check out at any time of whatever room you happen to be in.

Really, if you like a good, well-constructed story, 999 should be right up your alley (and I haven't played far into it yet, but I'd assume the same of VLR). It's not artsy or existential, but it is complex and intelligent. Just don't think too hard about its nature as a "game". It's a story, first and foremost, so clicking text boxes is just an intrinsic part of it all.
by OL
Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I twatted.
by Axm
Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It was much easier that i thought :lol:
by wude
Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Do I Do?

genuinely looking forward to his nan buying him the same wallet again as a replacement
by beedle
Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey team Yu,wanted to drop in and say hey,support you all the way!
My first post ever here,just picked up Shenmue again after quite a layoff.
Already a supporter on Twitter,let's stay positive for Shenmue 3,and in the meantime I'm just lovin' the series as it is so far :)
by Elevensixty
Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Do I Do?

Riku Rose wrote:
My boss was actually mugged and they let him keep the stuff in his wallet which is what gave me the idea.

He probably just needed an excuse to ditch his wallet.
by Thief
Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Culture Shock!

I think I've come up with I good idea, but to be sure I'll pitch it here.
In the Versus Guide books, there are "Culture Shock" sections that tell you little snippets about Japanese culture and how the differ from more western culture. I like that but I feel that it can be more complete so I'm announcing a new project that takes every single "Questionable" thing in both Shenmue games and condenses them into a large comprehensive list of Facts and history about Japan and how they relate to Shenmue. Now, even though I am kind of obsessed with Japanese culture I will need fact checkers and helpers to help complete this project. I will also need HD screen caps of certain things in the game.

Once finished I hope to release PDF, CBR, and EPUB formats to be downloaded for free online.

If anyone is interested, comment in this thread and if you have any ideas of how to improve the project please share
them!

If you would like to contribute information please do by formatting your entrees in the following order

List them in alphabetical order:
Title of entree (Make up a title for your entree):
Relevant Character:
Location in game:
If there is a source, supply the source:

Ex.

H:

Hostess Bar : See entree "Snack Bar" 「スナックバー」

--

S:

Snack Bar : A "snack bar" (スナックバー sunakku bā), or "snack" for short, refers to a kind of hostess bar, an alcohol-serving bar that employs female staff that are paid to serve and flirt with male customers. Although they do not charge an entry fee (and often have no set prices on their menus), they usually have an arbitrary (and expensive) bill or charge a set hourly fee plus a "bottle charge". Customers purchase a bottle in their own name and it is kept for future visits.

Relevant Characters : Akemi

Found at : Bar Yokosuka

Source : Text from Wikipedia

-=======-=

- ST
by ShenmueTree
Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Saying Goodbyes in Hong Kong

I thought this was a really creepy topic until I suddenly remembered you actually go and say goodbye to people.
by Testament
Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The CAPS LOCK Thread

my caps lock is on per the conditions of the thread

although i am also holding down the shift key

because that is how i roll
by Sonikku
Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I'd love to start ShenmueII but I have a problem/questio

Ryo has much (much much much much much) less character hearing his Japanese voice actor. I know Corey gets a lot of shit for his acting skills, but he made Ryo who he is. His voice is synonymous with the character. Just small lines like "I'll break your arm!" would've had much less impact hearing it in Japanese. As a predominantly English-speaking community, we can't personally translate emotion from a foreign language with a distinctly different culture. They put different types of emphasis on different words. It just doesn't have the same effect as when hearing it in your own language. All we're really doing is reading lines with no hint of emphasis (as opposed to comic books and some novels which specifically point it out through use of italics) Thus, the characters' emotions are slightly too open to interpretation to be deemed in any way "better" than the English dub by those of us who don't know Japanese beyond "konichiwa" and "sayonara".

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of poor acting throughout the series' English dub, but as people say, that is part of the charm. Besides, most of the poor acting comes from non-essential characters. And do you really want to play most of the game having to look at the bottom of the screen? Shenmue I & II are beautifully crafted games. You don't want to try enjoying the detailed environment and camera angles during a cut-scene only for text to flash for a second then think "shit, I missed that!"

That is why, for us at least, English dub should be deemed as a, dare I say it, superior way of playing the game than to playing it with Japanese voice w/English subtitles.
by MiTT3NZ
Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dojo Awards 2012 Final Results

I should get it since I have no money after being mugged.
by Riku Rose
Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is any other gaming franchise as much a victim of hoaxes

The thing is, it's probably Shenmue fans who make these hoaxes most of the time. They're probably just so desperate for Shenmue news that they figure fabricating some is better than none. Either that or it's just Sega, "oh whats that, you want Shenmue 3 do you fanboys, OK, oh lookie here's some news... Ooof what, it was fake, oh no what a shame. maybe send us some more capsule toys....bitches.." Seriously, they probably have a dedicated department for this.
by mue 26
Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: finally going to propose

Congratulations!

But there is one last thing you must do. Abruptly cut off all contact with her soon. When you surprise her, pretend you're desperate; you've lost your job, your left eye, the use of your right arm, and say you're homeless too, body and clothes filthy with soot and dirt (stop shaving now, by the way). Say you need money and a place to stay for a little while. At this very point, kneel and offer her a ring handmade with wire or something to make sure she really loves you for who you are inside. If she says yes, then give her the real ring, and reveal your ruse. If she says no, then she will have revealed her ruse.
by KiBa
Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Specific screencap needed!

I'll do it for you if you want. Give me a couple of minutes.
by Mocha Joe
Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic