Search found 390 matches

Return

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

4 Million was only to fully realise the first area though wasn't it? The video seemed to suggest that if we want all three areas we will have to go far beyond the 4 million mark.

well if that's true (and re watching the video it seems that way) I highly doubt we will get all the areas. The best we can hope for is it doesn't slow down from its current pace which would put you at around 9 - 10 million. But I don't see how it can maintain 10k an hour like it is right now.

Personally from what I've seen in previous kick starters the best we are gonna get is around 5-6 million in my opinion.

That''s sort of exactly why I wish they would show the other Stretch Goals lol. A truly impressive feature could really invigorate the cause.

I've been saying this since day 1. People think that 4.5 Million is the end of the campaign, when its really not. The video shows the other 2 locations with ?Million and we NEED to get them. We want Yu to make the game he has always wanted to, not a cut down version. The only way people will realise this, is if the kickstarter release the other stretch goals soon. I fear that they are going to wait until the 4.5 Million is backed and then drop the bomb that there are more lol I think that we should all use the ask a question button on the kickstarter and ask them if they can make it a lot clearer that 4.5 Million is not the end. What you guys think?

Lol I actually was just doing this as you posted :rotflmao:

Shenmue 3

by Ys Net
Amount: $310
Reward: SIGNED KICKSTARTER COLLECTOR'S EDITION A must have for the Shenmue fan. Get an illustration signed by Yu Suzuki. Don't miss your opportunity to get Yu's autograph! + A backer-only Arcane Technique Scroll + A Skin-change feature for Ryo's Jacket + The physical CD soundtrack. Includes the $175 Reward.

Brandon Smith
Brandon Smith
Jun 17 2015

Is there any way we could get clarification on Stretch Goals that exceed the current 4 million mark? While the Kickstarter does indeed appear to be on track to reach it, I do fear that the eventual slowing down could cause us to miss out on important features that could otherwise invigorate the community to back even more funding. It would also give those of us whom are spreading the word of this amazing project to forums, news articles, twitch streams and the like more talking points to pull in new blood to our beloved game, thank you. :)
by LikeZoinksYo
Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: We should clear up the misunderstanding about Sony's fun

As I've said in a previous thread, the fact of the matter is, NONE OF US know exactly how much external funding this game is getting. It's all speculation at the moment, that's as much as we do know!

Until that time comes, all we have is the KickStarter, that's the only thing at the moment that is giving us real monetary values!

That's why we cannot assume that others are heavily funding this game until we know for sure. From the sounds of things we will never know for sure.

Therefore we MUST keep promoting the KickStarter and getting the word out there. That's the only option we have. We can't take the risk of making assumptions that others are behind this heavily!
by Luke_09
Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A fellow Dojo member was looking for someone to translate the full text of the recent Famitsu article interview with Yu Suzuki - so here's a rough translation of the interview text + picture captions.

Link to original article (Japanese): http://imgur.com/a/tSsnL
Link to summary of the main points in English that was made by Varion on NeoGAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168899118&postcount=6043

Interview Text (F=Famitsu, YS=Yu Suzuki)

F: The title "Shenmue 3" is one that has a huge impact, and it was a real surprise when it was announced. So first of all, with 14 years having passed since the previous game Shenmue 2, please tell us why and how the decision to make Shemue 3 came about.
YS: Bringing the sequel to reality isn’t something that was just started recently. Even more than 10 years since Shenmue 2, there are still many passionate fans and whenever I attend events or autograph sessions overseas I’m always asked about when Shenmue 3 will be coming. For example, at my autograph sessions in France, 80% of the fans are Shenmue fans. Of the rest, 10% are Virtua Fighter fans, and the remaining 10% are fans of Hang-On etc. Even now, firm fans run and manage communities. For some reason, every year around March and April, I have been hearing rumors about Shenmue 3 being released (laughs).

F: Expressions of hope for a sequel soon become rumors, don’t they (laughs).
YS: Right. But as time went on the voice of the fans began to weigh on me more and more: “Please publish the rest of the story, even if it’s just as a novel”, “We want to see a new Shenmue published, even just in manga format” and so on. So, to try to answer the feelings of the users in some small way, I decided to myself: “Even if it turns out not to be possible to create the game with all extra features, I'll do what I can to bring about the sequel”.
F: What is the reason you chose Kickstarter as the method?
YS: About 3 years ago, a fan who had used Kickstarter suggested I try it. That’s when I first heard about Kickstarter, and I investigated it further. I couldn’t immediately promise we would use Kickstarter because I wanted to be sure we would be able to use it to produce something that will live up to the expectations of the fans. I looked at other methods of making Shenmue 3, such as finding a partner company, but I wasn’t able to find one that suited my criteria. After consideration, I concluded that Kickstarter was the best approach, and finally now in 2015 I have been able to make the announcement.
F: You have often mentioned in the past that you’d like to make the sequel, but it really took a long period of preparation.
YS: Yes. The tremendous response to the Shenmue panel at GDC 2014 served as a boost to bring us to where we are now. Sega Games has gladly provided the license, and SCE has also expressed their encouragement for the creation of this Shenmue. It’s quite unusual to announce a Kickstarter project at SCE’s conference, but I am truly happy at everyone’s support for Shenmue.
F: The title of the sequel is simply “Shenmue 3”, isn’t it.
YS: No other title really came to mind. Shenmue 3 is the next part of the series leading from Shenmue 1 and 2. It’s not a spin-off. The hardware it will run on is PS4 as well as PC.
F: As the highly-anticipated legitimate sequel, I’m sure the fans will be delighted. By the way, what is the target amount for the Kickstarter campaign?
YS: 200 million yen (approx $2m) is the initial target.
F: Given that this is Shenmue, the amount of 200 million yen will surely be reached readily.
YS: Having said that, 200 million yen is the minimum amount for the game to come into existence. At that level, the content would be focused on the story. The collection of additional funding would allow me to bring into reality what I would really like to include. I would like to do new things.
F: Your outlook of “wanting to make new things” is something that you have always held to, isn’t it.
YS: Yes. I will be trying my best to achieve this with the new Shenmue sequel also.
F: Please give us more details later on. By the way, what kind of rewards do you have planned for your Kickstarter backers?
YS: As much as possible, I would like to include people’s input in the development process. For example, if there are two possible story directions for a character (say A and B), we could hold a poll to ask everyone which they prefer. I would like to give as a reward the right to participate in this kind of vote. And I also intend to allow players to experience part of Shenmue 3 while it is under development.
F: In other words, creating Shenmue 3 together with the fans.
YS: Since I expect the core of the backers will be individuals, I would like to make each one of them happy. Please have a look at the details of the rewards are listed on the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter page.

F: Next, I would like to ask about the key content of Shenmue 3. What kind of story developments can be expected in Shenmue 3?
YS: At the end of Shenmue 2 Ryo visits Guilin, said to be the most beautiful region in China. The area is famous for landscape paintings, and it has a river called the Li river. Shen Hua’s house is located on a tributary of the river. The story of Shenmue 2 ends at the point where Ryo reaches Shen Hua’s house, and the story of Shemue 3 continues right from there.
F: So, Ryo and Shen Hua will make an appearance, continuing from the previous part.
YS: For people who have played the Shenmue series, those familiar characters will appear as they were.
F: Will the setting be Guilin?
YS: Yes. For example, visiting a town(s) in the Guilin area, or going back to the mountains. Also infiltrating the Guilin chapter of an underground organization, the Chi You Men.
F: It could be said that Shenmue is the originator of open world gameplay, and has influenced many games since, but for Shenmue 3 what direction do you plan to take the open world model?
YS: When I created Shenmue 1, I was aiming to create exactly what is now called an “open world”. Being able to stop freely at any location you wish, advancing if you wish to move the story forward, or just standing still if you prefer. Back then, we called the system “FREE”, but in time it came to be referred to as open world. In Shenmue 2, with advances and technology and techniques, the open world was expanded even further.
F: In Shenmue 2, it was possible to walk through many towns over a wide area of Hong Kong, wasn’t it.
YS: Actually, at that time, I had decided that for Shenmue 3 I would delve in more deeply.
F: More deeply?
YS: Yes. People might expect that the open world would be made even broader, but in contrast to that, I will focus on depth. For example, for the case of 100 characters, splitting the development budget among them would limit the elements that could be incorporated into each character.
F: That’s true, it would make it harder to create each with detail.
YS: However, if we reduce the number to 10 characters, a lot of possibilities are opened up. The amount of conversation could be increased 10 times, or detailed A.I. provided for each character. As a result, conversations could be much richer. As an example, in Shenmue 3 the person that Ryo will speak with most is Shen Hua, so I want to portray her with depth. I envisage an approach where, by settings parameters for Shen Hua, on-going conversations with her will influence events such as changing her attitude, or changing the way that quests relating to her unfold.
F: I see. I think a lot of support for Shenmue comes not from just the realistic towns, but from the realism of the people inhabiting it. From what you have described, this realism will be further increased, and the world will feel even more “human”.
YS: Yes. In Shenmue this time I will be focusing particularly on digging down further on such internal aspects.
F: This is your vision for the new Shenmue, isn’t it.
YS: Of course, that’s not to say it will not be open world. Stretch goals will allow the town(s) to be expanded. However, what I would like to try first is to develop something that everyone has not anticipated; a deep Shenmue world.

F: I can’t wait to see this new Shenmue. Speaking of Shenmue, apart from its open world, its QTEs and minigames made it special, didn’t they.
YS: QTEs were originally included so that even people who were poor at battles could enjoy them. I’m happy that various games have included QTEs since then.
F: QTEs also had their origin in Shenmue, didn’t they.
YS: This time, I would like to show new QTEs; ones which can played by anyone, and which have carefully-crafted event sequences. In addition, I’d like to change the nature of free battles. (I will think of a different name, as I don’t want to call them free battles). I’d like to make a battle that is won by making the correct decision, rather than by correct timing of pushing buttons.
F: I believe Shenmue was made with the concept of being a game that can be enjoyed by any player, and this new system feels to be in keeping with that.
YS: Also this time I am planning a “technique scrolls” system. Ah.... maybe I have said too much (laughs).
F: Not at all, we’d like to hear more! (laughs)
YS: For example, with the free battle it is tough to practice and input the various commands required, so simply by obtaining a technique scroll you can apply the technique to help you win a battle. In the case of a QTE, the new technique could be unleashed during the QTE. I would like to make it so that a technique can be used to your advantage in battle just by obtaining a technique scroll. Furthermore, I’d like to make that technique scroll connect with various elements within the game.
F: Could you explain a bit more with respect to “connecting with elements”?
YS: Shenmue has had a number of ways you could play around, such as mini-games and gambling spots, but I have always been thinking about how to connect these together in some way. Of course, they are connected in the sense that you can take a part-time job to earn money, then increase that amount by gambling, then buy weapons... but not that kind of connection, something much closer. If the stretch goals can be reached and more detailed elements incorporated into the open world, this will allow technique scrolls to serve as the pivot for connecting together the various side games. That’s the kind of direction I would like to take it.
F: I see. So various elements of the open world will be connected together in a more natural way. Apart from that, are there any other elements that you are keen to include in Shenmue 3?
YS: One particular part of Shenmue that fans seem to have fallen in love with is the forklift part-time job, which is extremely popular. So I really want to include it in Shenmue 3 too, but how can you operate a forklift deep in the mountains of Guilin (laughs). I haven’t stopped thinking about how to find some way to include a forklift (laughs).

F: Please tell us about the development set-up for Shenmue 3.
YS: This time, the main development company is Neilo. The representative for Neilo, Takeshi Hirai, worked as the chief programmer for Shenmue and has a good understanding of Shenmue.
F: Since Shenmue is an open world game, I had thought that working with an overseas development company that is experienced in open world games would have been an option.
YS: Yes, that may have been an option. However, the main distinguishing characteristic of Shenmue is its culture. I believe that users overseas also have taken interest in the culture and customs of Asia. People have said they appreciate it when Ryo says “Thank you” for the smallest thing, for example. Someone who has worked all along on creating Shenmue understands that kind of culture and values.
F: So this time, development will be using Unreal Engine 4, won’t it.
YS: I have been looking at various engines for Shenmue 3 for the past 3 years, but the colors of Unreal Engine 4 are closest to those I envisage for the world of Shenmue. Although that’s a pretty broad statement, given that it’s a technical topic. The feeling of slight dampness in the air, the skin colors, the feel of materials etc were closest to my ideal.
F: Apart from the Neilo staff, are there others participating who have worked with Shenmue before?
YS: Yes, of course. I wanted to build up the team with past members as I believe that gives the fans some reassurance. Among others are scenario writer Masahiro Yoshimoto, and Kenji Miyawaki who is in charge of the character designs.
F: Given that this project is coming to life 14 years after the previous release of Shenmue, everyone must be very surprised.
YS: Mr Yoshimoto has been active in the world of television, and reacted with surprise saying “With television, producing something new with a theme that is 14 years old is unheard of”. But Mr Yoshimoto told me that he made many discoveries through his experience with Shenmue. Later on, I plan to release a video with comments from Mr Yoshimoto and the rest of the staff, so please watch out for it.
F: We are looking forward to seeing it. The fans are sure to be happy.
YS: I have gathered together quite a few of the original key members who gave Shenmue that special feel. I’m sure this will bring a feeling of both reassurance and nostalgia.
F: By the way, it may be a bit impatient to ask, but do you already have in mind how things will progress after Shenmue 3?
YS: Of course, I have that in mind. But first and foremost, I’d like to put primary focus on Shenmue 3.
F: When is the planned release date for Shenmue 3?
YS: I’d like to release it by the end of 2017.
F: That’s quite some way off, but we can’t wait. From speaking with you today, I can really appreciate the challenges that you are taking on of producing a new Shenmue. Finally, do you have a message for all the fans who have waited all this time for Shenmue 3?
YS: The fans have told me over the course of 14 years how they wanted part 3 to be made, and I have always told myself that I had to find some way to make it. And now, through the crowd-funding of Kickstarter, at last I have been able to make a start on the Shenmue 3 project. In order to bring about a Shenmue 3 that incorporates a perfect blend of both a Shenmue that everyone desires, as well as a Shenmue with the new challenges I want to take on, everyone’s effort is needed. Thank you so much for your support.

Picture captions:
1) This image shows the figures of Ryo and Shen Hua walking on a mountain path. Note that Ryo has changed clothes from the leather jacket he wears in the first and second parts of the series.
2) Using a telescope, Ryo observes buildings below a cliff. According to Yu Suzuki, before Ryo lies the enemy’s camp, which Ryo is searching for a way to infiltrate.
3) Shen Hua and Ryo, drawn by Kenji Miyawaki who is in charge of character design for the series. Shen Hua, the main heroine, did not appear much in the first and second parts of the series. In Shenmue 3, she will surely take a principle role.
4) Niao Sun, one of the leaders of the underground organisation opposing Ryo, the Chi You Men. Although her existence has previously been revealed, she has not made an in-game appearance until now.
by Switch
Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today!

I have compiled a best of list of all of Shenmue Dojo's questions and concerns throughout this entire forum. I hope I did it with accuracy and respect. Please comment on how these may be improved and do not come off as combative towards Suzuki-san. Please share it on GAF and other sites so we may have some communication and sharing of ideas between our fanbase.

1. Will Shenmue III enable PayPal or a means to donate the project when the Kickstarter ends? Projects like Star Citizen gained tens of millions in donations by allowing this.

2. In Shenmue III will Ryo's notebook and Timex watch return?

3. Why does the Kickstarter page not give a good summary of the series thus far? It makes the series not come off as friendly for newcomers. Also, the Kickstarter page does not have the sites updates on it. That could be useful information for backers, would you consider implementing it?

4. In Shenmue III, will battles return? There has been talk that you are simplifying them, does this mean we will no longer get Virtua Fighter like fights? How will fights work? Will they be entirely QTE-based as seen in modern titles like Heavy Rain or will they still have corresponding punch and kick buttons like before?

5. How accurately will Shenmue III be compared to your original vision of the game or will there be major compromises?

6. Will Shenmue III be at Tokyo Game Show, GDC, and PAX or only Monaco?

7. Many fans want the option to play the game with a Japanese voice track. Is YSnet considering implementing this?

8. Are all the towns listed in the Kickstarter stretch goals in the game already, or are the stretch goals only there as a means to help give them more features and spice?

9. Sony and other investors only funding a part of the games budget. Does this mean most of the budget will come from the Kickstarter? More importantly, how much does Suzuki-san want the Kickstater to reach in order for him to make the FULL vision for Shenmue III?

10. It would be helpful if the Kickstarter made stretch goals more straightforward. As they are now, they are quite vague and confusing, even to experienced Shenmue fans. For example, what exactly is rapport?

11. Will the gameplay in Shenmue III be more contemporary or will it be more in line with past Shenmue iterations?

12. Seeing as how the game is set in a remote forested region how sparsely populated will the game be, will there be wildlife?

13. What will the level of npc interactivity be and how detailed will their behavior be?

14. How much of an influence will fan base feedback have during the making of this game?

15. Will you try to finish the story over the course of 2-3 more games as you originally envisioned?

16. Online is a big component of modern day gaming, is there any consideration for incorporating some type of online game play? Some type of mini-games, co-op missions or fighting modes?

17. I am new to Shenmue and don't find the Kickstarter promotional video to be terribly informative. Are there plans in making a new one? I'd like to back it on Kickstarter but nothing on the page is telling me what Shenmue remotely is.
by Himuro
Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

Peter, they have had 14 years to prepare for Shenmue III and this game is nowhere on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms. It is coasting on good will of Shenmue fans.

This isn't a "bandwagon of negativity". This is being realistic. The game has been funded, but at the current trajectory, the game may bomb. Emphasis on may. They are doing an awful job here, and your "only positive thoughts" schtick isn't helping. It is not only unrealistic, it comes across as highly naive and boyish.

Let's be honest here, Peter. They are having an AMA on Reddit when most people are busy doing things or are asleep, and you're completely fine with it. They could offer poop in a box as a Tier Reward and you would be fine with it.

There's a difference between "negativity" and objectivity. Any and all criticisms thrown towards this Kickstarter campaign in this thread are all objective and factual.
by Himuro
Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm building a list of stretch goals to send to Yu and Ys Net to help improve Shenmue III's Kickstarter funding. Here they are:

Stretch Goal Suggestions
Feature Extra: Drive vehicles
Feature Extra: Customize Clothes
Feature Extra: Customize Room

While these may make sense in most open world games now, do we really want resources going to something trivial like Ryo changing clothes and driving vehicles? If we were talking about a multimillion dollar AAA game, sure throw it in. But we're lucky we're getting a third game. I'd much rather they put their efforts and money toward story-driven elements.
by elfshadowreaper
Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki Famitsu Article - Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"$30 on the 3rd" - ROAD TO $10 MILLION

--- UPDATE 6/27/15 ---
Guys, I've been working feverishly today to get this site up. It's collaboration between me and my wife. She does the design, I do the coding. I think we make a good team. So, as you tweet and share about $30 on the 3rd please direct people to this website that will explain the campaign to people who may not understand:

http://www.30onthe3rd.com/

--- UPDATE 6/25/15 ---
I'm beyond excited about the response this campaign is getting! Thank you everyone!

As we're quickly approaching the 3rd of July we need to all step up our efforts to promote "$30 on the 3rd."

We need to focus on a different social media every day. Let's say days with an odd number focus on Facebook and even days focus on Twitter. If you see a $30 on the 3rd post share it. And every time you check the Kickstarter page for whatever reason leave a comment with $30 on the 3rd. I'm sure they get buried pretty quickly so the more often the more chance new people have to see it.

We REALLY need to get in touch with Yu and Awesome Japan and get them to promote the push. No one is going to have the audience they do. Can someone see if Aizen can tell Yu about the campaign and see if he can tweet it?

Also, don't dwell on the chance that this may not move the needle much. If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time! Focus on $10 million! I know Yu is.

--- UPDATE 6/20/15 ---
So Yu Suzuki needs $10 million. This is NOT unreachable. It's actually VERY reachable. If they open donations to PayPal as they've suggested it will become the avenue to Yu's goal. If we continue with the monthly thunderbolt and focus our efforts on donating $30 on the 3rd of each month we WILL hit that number. I anticipate the Kickstarter will end up earning between $6 millon and $8 million because at the end everyone who hasn't donated will scramble to get their rewards and those who have extra cash to throw at it will do that. Even if it only makes $5 million that's fine.

PayPal is the ticket after July 17! If they keep PayPal open indefinitely we can continue to give month after month. And that's where the "$30 on the 3rd" makes BIG strides for the campaign.

$30 is nothing to most people. If you are struggling to make ends meet, please take care of yourself and your family first. But for those of us who are stable enough financially we can make a HUGE impact for Shenmue. $30 each month adds up, fast!

Mods, please sticky this. I really feel like this is the best route to take. We also need to get the Shenmue Kickstarter/advertising team, Twitter, Facebook groups, the Dojo homepage and any other non-English speaking Shenmue fansites involved to promote this idea.

Stay sweaty!

-- END UPDATE --

We need to form our own campaign booster to get people who have donated to add $25-$50 to their donation. No shaming for people who may not have donated very much, we're just trying to ice the cake. Instead of the monthly tweetathon on July 3rd let's do a "$30 on the 3rd" and everyone donate an extra $30(or more).

At the current count if everyone who've already donated added $30 it would add $1.24 million to the pot!

I'll donate another $30. That's three trips to the fast food restaurant or four trips to Starbucks. Who will join me?

My twitter is pathetic, so whoever organized the tweetathon feel free to take over in boosting this effort on Twitter and Facebook. And mods, move this post around if you want to use it in the News section.

http://i.imgur.com/ecLqB1X.png

http://i.imgur.com/KlfJwR6.png

http://i57.tinypic.com/2442qdf.jpg
by elfshadowreaper
Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Over in this thread we've been making a Shenmue III promotional video to try and advertise the Kickstarter stretch goals, clear the misunderstandings of funding and attract new players. http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47829

Here is a preview that is close to final. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to leave them below and I'll try to add them in to the final version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuCYBGtuHdg
by Jibby
Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

phpBB [video]
by lDarkWarriorl
Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Day The Snow Turned Into A Game

http://i.imgur.com/R9dPCjn.jpg

Dear Members,

As many of you know, last week was a week that will go down in history for our community. After 14 years of waiting and hoping, it was revealed by Yu Suzuki himself that he is finally in a position to move forward with the creation of Shenmue 3, albeit with a bit of a caveat. Through the announcement of a Kickstarter campaign , Suzuki-San as asked us the fans to help bring his dream, as well as ours, to life by backing and supporting a campaign to help fund the development of the project. While there are various entities supporting this project, Suzuki-san himself has stated that that the fate of Shenmue 3 now rests in our hands and that our actions as a community will dictate the capabilities his team will have in creating the game and to ideally meet its full creative potential.

If you have not already done so, please visit the campaign website and take some time to consider the extent to which you would be willing and able to support this project; note that there are a range of pledge levels with corresponding reward tiers for every single level of backing. As the campaign progresses, there will also be added levels of support to coincide with stretch funding goals as they are introduced. All of the funds that are pledged will be allocated to and utilized SOLELY by YSNET to develop the game.

Contrary to a lot of the dubiously sourced misinformation that has been circulating in recent days, Sony will NOT be funding the entire budget for the game nor will they subsidizing the development costs for YSNET. While Sony will provide various technical investments in conjunction with marketing and promotional support, this project will remain firmly in the directorial hands of Yu Suzuki and his staff. While it is true that there are a number of backers for Shenmue 3, we at this time do not know the scope of how these other entities are involved with the project. All that we can establish for now is that we as a community are in fact the primary patrons for the development of the game and that the responsibility of making Shenmue 3 the strongest game it can be ultimately resides with us.

Over the next few weeks leading up to the conclusion of the Kickstarter campaign, we will be introducing two specific social-media based initiatives to promote the backing of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter and the series as a whole. The first initiative, #30onthe3rd , is a continuation of our monthly tweetathon #SaveShenmue but with a twist. On 7/3/2015, we encourage everyone to who is able to increase their pledge amount by $30 and post a corresponding tweet as a sign of solidarity within the community. The 2nd initiative, #10MillionToShenmue3 , is a hashtag campaign to be disseminated across all social media platforms to highlight the need for additional funding for Shenmue 3 in order have it be the project that Yu Suzuki has dreamed of creating. In a recent interview, Suzuki-san stated that at a $10 million funding level Shenmue 3 would feature a truly open world that would follow in the lineage of the previous installments.

The time has finally come for us in the Shenmue community to support the series that has given us so much over years. We are now in a position where we can directly impact and influence the creation of Shenmue 3 and give Suzuki-san our direct input While the task at hand may seem daunting, if we come together and collaborate our efforts we will attain the game that we have wanted and deserved for so long. Thank you all very much for your support and we would not be in the position we are in now if it was not for your perseverance and dedication for the series against all odds. We have truly made it.

Keep friends,

The Shenmue Dojo Staff
by Yama
Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 5 m is not enough

They didn't exactly say they needed $10M for an open world game. They said something along the lines of "a much larger open world". It could mean that only 10M would be open world or it could mean we're OK at less, but at 10M it would be much larger in size and scope (maybe 10M is more comparable to Shenmue 2 and less would be more comparable to Shenmue 1 - I don't think we really know yet).

Yu did also say that even if the Stretch Goals aren't reached, that Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name and a game the fans will be proud of, so let's try and have some faith I guess.

That's probably it. As far as I am aware, Shenmue 3 has one village but if Yu gets enough money then two more will be added. I guess, at $5 million or less this game is like Shenmue 1 with just Dobuita, while at $10 million it becomes like Shenmue 2 which had the port town, Kowloon and Guilin.

Huh? Pretty Baisha and Choobu are in the game no matter what but the stretch goals are for added extra to make the towns more detailed with more to do.
by Himuro
Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Big update to the Kickstarter coming today!

That was me in regards to more dinner tiers.

I'm not freaking out. Not at all.....
by Peter
Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Shenhua face!

describes how they have reduced the visual age and made it appear more feminine by changing a jaw line, hair, open sleeves on the clothes etc..
by RiGoRmOrTiS
Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Big Update coming in the next 10 hours. Before ~8PM GMT.

"Due to your overwhelming support we're pleased to announce that Yu can afford the new Ferrari. This couldn't have happened without your donations. Thank you!"
by Riku Rose
Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #23 - PS4 physical copy & New reward tiers add

Those are some really kick ass reward tiers! And physical PS4 copies too! This day just got a sh*t ton better! :D

My problem with the using faces thing is immersion. Like, we'll be in rural China and shit, and see white peoples faces plastered all over a train station? What the fuck? Will they make the Chi You Men NPC's look Chinese? Hopefully they do? Because I really don't want to be fighting some random white guy with no explanation in the middle of the Chinese boondocks. :-k

It will be handled well, trust Yu. Mad Angels was full of foreigners. And remember the scout in Shenmue 2 who was recruiting to send fighters to the ChiYouMen in China. Foreigners are everywhere :P
by Sonoshee
Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

$20,000 pledge for the future of our Guilin school.

http://i.imgur.com/PZDaNhg.jpg

Hey everyone, my brother and I decided to contribute $20,000 for the making of Shenmue III. We spent many hours thinking about whether this is a good or bad decision. We spent $10,000 in 2012 to get our school off the ground and that went a long way. Because of our initial $10,000 pledge, the school received an amazing amount of attention in China, social media and gaming websites. I'll reiterate, We are not wealthy! This was a hard decision. We could have given $20,000 directly to building the school and it's programs but we feel that this pledge will lead to more exposure and support than what we could do through other mediums.

For those who don't know our school yet. We are called The "V.E.T. Program" (Volunteer English Teacher). You can find us on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/VolunteerEnglishTeacher?fref=ts&ref=br_tf We teach children and young adults English to help in their educational and career pursuits. Many of these kids come from small villages in the Guilin area and may not have an opportunity to learn elsewhere. You can go to the "about" section on the Facebook page to learn more.

We really need help in reaching our goals. We would love for you to like us on Facebook. We will eventually look outside ourselves and setup a way for donations to be made but we didn't want to distract from the Kick Starter or be overbearing donation hunters.

We decided to make the second $10,000 pledge a character in the game. We don't want to be a character attacking Ryo though. We are going to try and ask Yu Suzuki to let us have one of our Volunteer Chinese teaching assistants be a character in one of the villages. They deserve to be recognized for their hard work. They are volunteers and many of them come from poor rice farms.

We are also hoping that since we will be listed in the credits as a special sponsor that it can have our school with a logo and a website rather than our names.

I don't think any of this would be asking too much. I think it would help get attention to the school. We would love any assistance in helping us achieve this. We also would love to have Yu Suzuki come to the school some day but we won't don't want to be greedy.

Please, help our little school!
http://i.imgur.com/GS7Iwrq.jpg
by wdrpgwd
Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Community

http://i.imgur.com/GvJ3kDW.png

During this very important time for Shenmue I'd like to point out that it was the community as a whole that made Shenmue III entirely possible. Due to the efforts seen across multiple community outlets we are closing in on something we've all desired for over a decade. The Shenmue community is as powerful as it is passionate, backing up our words with a record breaking pledge. It is because of this we'd like to focus on bringing our efforts together as one. We may all have our preferred outlet for information or discussion, but that shouldn't create a barrier. Instead it provides us with options and multiple targets for important campaigns, discussion and more.

We're proud to support our friends at Team Yu and Shenmue 500K, who have both been incredibly vocal towards the resurgence of Shenmue. Through combined efforts, we look to make the message of #SaveShenmue and other campaigns louder and clearer than ever before. Look forward to hearing more about any future community events right here in our news section direct from the source. In addition, you may visit either outlet by clicking the corresponding links right on our index page. The same love and care will be given in return to any important Dojo created content that need be widespread.

Let's come together as one and continue to save #SaveShenmue!

Team Yu | Shenmue 500K
by Yama
Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yo Videogames/Maximilian Dood

Toward the beginning of the campaign I sent an email to the channels Maximillian Dood/Yo Videogames asking for their support.

Matt just uploaded:
phpBB [video]
by LucBu
Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

$5,000,000 REACHED!

I'm getting emotional! I said from the very beginning that this would be the figure that would make me 100% happy and dispell any fears I had both for the amount we would need to make an amazing Shenmue game, as well as stand as a testament to how much the fans care about this franchise, and how we would stand up and show everyone we have been here waiting for all these years. 5 MILLION DOLLARS for Yu and the team. That's just made me as happy as what I was when this all began. Well done to every single person who has pledged and kept the faith!

One last thought; the word "unvelievable" is tossed around everyday to kinda soften it's actual meaning. Getting 5 million was the thing I wanted the most out of all of this, but beating Bloodstained was in the proper category of "unbelievable" for me. Now this is set up, with 2 days to go to hopefully see a huge spike as we have seen with other Kickstarters? The excitement over these next 2 days will be an amazing way to end the Kickstarter! See you at the finish line! :)
by Peter
Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #47

I think those hoping for a Ryo that looks just like he did in S1&2 but just with much higher detail and resolution may be disappointed. The technology being used is going to result in a qualitatively different look and feel, no matter how close they try to approximate it.

It's a bit like - and this is a horrible analogy but - the Creation suite in a wrestling game or an RPG being upgraded from one installment in a series to the next, and trying to create the same character you played as in a previous game. No matter how close the dimensions and proportions and features get, it's never going to look exactly the same.

A better analogy might be Zoe from Dreamfall Chapters versus her model in Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. (With the former being another Kickstarted game, albeit made in Unity rather than UE.) While the new model is - imho - recognizable as Zoe, the way her face animates among other design considerations fundamentally alters the way she looks. No matter how stylized, there's no way for them to really perfectly reproduce the original look and animation of the first iteration of her character. And that's before you even consider intentional changes or updates they might have made.

I suspect this will be true of Ryo as well. I do think he will improve, but I don't expect him to have super thin lips and a semi-permanent scowl like he did on Dreamcast. Different times, different technologies, different tools, different aesthetic considerations.

Personally, that won't bother me. I just want Shenmue 3. :P But I do understand why others feel more adamant about it.

This is just a perfect example of how new technologies, Isn't always a good thing.

The really sad thing is, they're making less of a game then they could be making, just because they're using these "new" technologies that is doing nothing, but actually taking away from the "organic", realistic feel.

You got all of that, based on what exactly? You say this and get Kid NoCon's HD videos have the Shenmue flair but is made with these new technologies? If you're going to make the statement that the new tech takes away from the organic and realistic feel, you'll have to back that opinion up with actual facts.

Well Kid NoCon's video's didn't have characters or anything of the sort, nor did it try anything fancy with lighting effects.

With the screen shots in this thread, I see nothing wrong with the last SS really, with the house. CG, and anything living has always been a recipe for disaster, especially when they're more focused on using newer technology, for no good reason.

Is it such a hard thing, to just bloody improve/build upon what already exists?

Good Lord. How old are you? You couldn't be a day older than 17 with that sort of "logic".
by Himuro
Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The scary part is, Yu had the gull to show such off, so clearly he's pretty happy with the progress.

I don't think Yu has what it takes, he always going abaout oh he can do so much more with modern technologies, bola, bla, bla, but if this is a taste of that so called more, do we really want that.

Then there's the whole ragdoll physics nonsense in the stretch goals. All Yu seems to be focusing on, is playing with a new toy(aka Unreal 4). Instead of thinking first, and foremost about what would be fitting in a Shenmue 3, he's more about, haven't done this yet, so that must be good.

OMG I hate the coding mentality. Yu, please stop acting like a coder, you're the lead game designer, and director for crying out loud.

I seriously can't believe people are defending those SS, and a certain thing he said in a past interview about the battle system(which I've already talked enough about)

I edited to make the responses:

- He has said that he'll make monthly updates, it's not that "he's happy showing" it's that he made a pact with us, and he fucking delivered in a great way.

- He already said that SIII will be more intimate, that they are trying to get the designs smaller to do the Shenmue feel come alive.

- Shenmue free battle is a part of the real Shenmue, it will not be the same, but also it won't be Shenmue if they scrapped that.

- Yu designer mentality is what made SIII to have various prototypes. Yu coding mentality is what made Shenmue revolutionary in times when no one thought things like that could be made.

- Those screnshots are pretty much what you can call a mockup to pitch, he shared those with us.
He said it's not the final model, that the angles were to not give us spoilers (and test scene enviro), and that they're still working on it. What more do you want ?
by shredingskin
Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

He didn't because mainstream (almost) free engines didn't exist back then (he had to use military hardware for his creations in the past ).

I can't know what he thinks, but (by the way he told us) he knows what Shenmue fucking is.

I don't see him riding the unicorn to farland, I read about a guy that it's working 18 hours a day, and that want us to be happy about what he's making.

Japan is very closed to the new engines, it's fucking true, but I see that he's working with that and not against that (that I think is the best way to go).

As far as I can see, he is doing Shenmue III.
by shredingskin
Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is ridiculous. I can't believe that there are people here who actually think that it would be viable to make Shenmue III using the original Shenmue engine.
One minute, you complain that these pre-pre-alpha screenshots don't look good enough and point to a shit Shenmue and then next you suggest that using the DC engine would somehow make it all better? As if that engine is completely flawless? Do you not understand just how limited that would make the game. Remember all of those stretch goals that we so hope to achieve? They wouldn't be possible using the old engine. Maybe Shenmue III could have been done back in the day on that engine, but we need to stop living in the past. Shenmue III isn't a game from multiple generations ago, it's a game for the current gen and that needs to be expected and accepted otherwise it isn't going to be an enjoyable experience for anyone.

And for those who think that these incredibly early screenshots suggest that YS.NET don't know what they are doing, can we please use this as a reminder of just how much things can change:
Lan Di (Project Berkley)
https://i.gyazo.com/fa42c18bb253a2dc20e3bc889efe78b5.png

Lan Di (Final)
http://www.vgnetwork.it/images/Shenmue/Shenmue-landi.jpg
by Jibby
Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mystified? By what? What "odd" remarks has he made? He's doing something he's never done before? The man is a gaming legend, surely he can come up with something. More than that, Shenmue's development history is full of AM2 working and doing things they've never done before, so you entire premise rings hollow. Toy character designs? We haven't seen the full character designs. Do you mean the character models? That are literally five months old?

Yokosuka, no he has no point at all.

Everything he's saying is illogical and easily disputed by looking at Shenmue 1/2's own development.

Everything he's saying is contrarian and skepticism for skepticisms sake.

Ryo looks like a toy? What?
by Himuro
Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

December 2017 is just a slated release date. Do you expect them to not have a estimated release date at all? Because that's far worse. Why must you be so demanding of everything involved, even a reasonable release date that means two and a half years of development? Just seems like you're complaining to complain rather than just seeing where this all goes.

He's refusing to accept a paypal window of more then a few months, because it will get in the way of his desired release date(that was Yu's reason he gave, for only having Paypal available for such a short time).

Trust me, Yu has "no" intention what so ever, in allowing Shenmue 3 to take longer the 2 years.

Either Yu is rushing or he truly has no clue on how long games take, when you don't have 300 people helping with it lol.

....I don't know where to start.
by Himuro
Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Zoltor, lay off of the Yu bashing. Quite tired of it frankly. You dont have a clue what Suzuki thinks, knows, feels, will decide, likes, dislikes, choses, rejects so stop claimijt to know.

It's the only time you will be told. Keep it up and you will be warned.
by Peter
Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Personally, I think Zoltor is undoubtedly a troll. How can someone come up with so much unfounded conjecture & speculation with the sole purpose of bashing the game creators. He comes out with these so called opinions & presents them as fact, and frankly it's getting a bit tiring as his sole m.o seems to be trashing Yu. Not only is it disrespectful, but it's getting wearisome. You don't know what's going on behind the scenes, so please stop posting as if you know exactly how things are panning out (after 3 months!). And lastly, you must be quite a knowledgeable & accomplished individual to be so certain that you know better & Yu has 'lost it'.
by Sh3ppy
Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[Demul, NullDC]Shenmue II cutscene bars removing tool [WIP]

Inspired by Ziming 's post about removing bars :)
I present my working attempt to get rid of black bars in cutscenes in Shenmue II

For now, it is a [Work in Progress] test version that currently works only on Disc 1

There is standalone *.exe version and table for cheat engine version.

NullDC(I tested it on 4 different pc's and it worked for me, I do hope it will also work for you and won't crash :) ) :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wapf65zcevxusc/SII_NoBars_NullDC.EXE?dl=0 - standalone version
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wd6ziguijkw2lr1/SII_NoBars_NullDC.CT?dl=0 - Cheat engine table
Demul:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7oo4bvap4srypy/SII_NoBars_Demul.EXE?dl=0 - standalone version
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmssfgtk89x4uiu/SII_NoBars_Demul.CT?dl=0 - Cheat engine table

With standalone version just run emulator and SII_NoBars(_Demul or NullDC).exe file. and it will automatically find and attach itself to emulator process. IMPORTANT: for NullDC rename emulator's *.exe file to nullDC.exe
Another way requires Cheat Engine installed. open SII_Nobars(Demul or NullDC).CT,
open emulator process,press ctrl+alt+l then press Execute script... use whatever method you like.
Also as a BONUS you can Press 3 to switch between Widescreen/normal modes.

It's a wip version BUT! Since I don't have time to play through the whole game, I need people who would search for further addresses.
For example: one person would work on Disc 2, another on Disc 2 side quests, another on Disc 3, and another on Disc 4.
Let me know if you are interested . I'll make video tutorial how to do it the way I know how I do it :)
UPD: Video tutorial for how to find and add codes added
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9USxk0BUVQ
by Radar
Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki in China promoting Shenmue 3 (Video Included)

A question here: why this new prototype footage isn't shown to backers yet ???

China is a huge market and he probably had to appeal. I am sure we'll get a better version of this footage soon. Probably during an update. ;-)

Yeh I agree. We will probably see this footage in the next months update :D! I'm so hyped for it, but at the same time I really do not want to spoil anything related to the story for myself. Decisions, decisions...

Well, if you don't feel like reading what I've tried to translate (no real spoilers), here's what we get to know :

- 7PM (map changes)
- 11:30PM (back to Shenhua House) or seems like it

However, we can read Private House on the screen, so we will probably be warped there whenever we reach 11:30PM (outside of missions/infiltration parts), I suppose.
by DEVILLE_David
Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

is there any reason though to believe anything chinese would be interested in funding this? china I don't think has evern funded anything gamingwise that isn't chinese

China is getting big into gaming. Offhand, they just bought SNK and have announced a new KOF, and tencent has made plenty of deals with western companies.

Plus, the series itself is a love letter to chinese culture.

so how is that changed now? I doubt it has.

The exact same way that Russia used to be a hotbed of piracy during the exact same time, and now is the top non-western market for digital games in the world. Aggressive, low-cost push by big PC players.

You doubt it's changed? I doubt it hasn't.
by TheSonicRetard
Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Peter 蔡 has responded to my request to join the dojo forums. He says he'll be here tomorrow.
Hello everyone, I am so happy to be here :D :D :D . Shenmue dojo is very famous in Chinese shenmue fans club. Today another member or myself will share some pictures about the conference, such as the gifts and paints.
by Peter 蔡
Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cédric Biscay interview by Desert Bus de l'Espoir (15/11

Who cares that it's not on Xbox One. I own an Xbox one and not a PS4 and it doesn't make a bit of difference to me. Could be released for the Gameboy, and those who are a fan of the franchise will do what's necessary to buy and play this game.
by Peter
Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Monthly update

People calm down. :)

There will be an update before the end of the year, I'm pretty sure about that.

If not about Shenmue 3 development (As others, I can easily live with it as far as we know development is on track and goes smoothly. The China conference news are more than positive from this point of view) at least about the Slacker Backer campaign.

Cédric Biscay stated several times that PC rewards will come before the end of the PayPal campaign and there are no reasons so far, not to trust him.

Beside that... I still have some hopes about a Playstation Experience annoucement/update.
This would be a perfect time to give a few more info, about Shenmue 3 or (from the most optimistic angle) even Shenmue HD and give the PayPal campaign, a final boost.
by Kiske
Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

People calm down. :)

There will be an update before the end of the year, I'm pretty sure about that.

If not about Shenmue 3 development (As others, I can easily live with it as far as we know development is on track and goes smoothly. The China conference news are more than positive from this point of view) at least about the Slacker Backer campaign.

Cédric Biscay stated several times that PC rewards will come before the end of the PayPal campaign and there are no reasons so far, not to trust him.

Beside that... I still have some hopes about a Playstation Experience annoucement/update.
This would be a perfect time to give a few more info, about Shenmue 3 or (from the most optimistic angle) even Shenmue HD and give the PayPal campaign, a final boost.

Pretty much this. No need to ask for strict updates on the dot, they are not being performance managed. I'm sure something will be shown at PSX, that's just around the corner.

Why would you do an update now when you can go with more glitz at PSX.
by fittersau
Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They said roughly once a month, right? Not on the dot.
by KidMarine
Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PlayStation Experience: LIVE DISCUSSION 10:00am PT / 6pm

The game isn't presentable on a big stage yet, rather wait until next year if that means releasing something that will look awesome.

I think Sony wouldn't have minded giving Shenmue 3 some stage time to show a few stills from the 2015 prototype, the short video renders shown in the chinese event, or anything that could increase the public awareness that Shenmue 3 exists and being developed, especially that Shenmue 3 will be console exclusive on PS4.

The horrible marketing/public communication performance of the Kickstarter campaign continues ...
Come on . While the stuff from China was good considering the stage of development the game is at, it would have been laughed out of the room presented at something like PSX.

"Here's a spinning camera in a work in progress interior, and here are a few screenshots using placeholder materials. SHENMUE 3 EVERYBODY!"

Shenmue 3 isn't ready to show like that, and there's nobody to blame for that. Give it time.
by Spaghetti
Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How long do you think Shenmue III will be ??

Kinda what David said. The game will be as long as you want it. I swear at midnight, I will have had my body clock set, extended leave from work booked, a case of energy drinks in the fridge, coffee jars in the cupboard, all social media and links to the Shenmue Community blocked for when this game is released.
I will play it slowly. I mean slowly! Hopefully the L trigger will still give you access to a first person view, and I will rape the life out of it, looking at every texture, near sight, draw distance, examining every object, reading every word, listening to every sound, exploring every area and option......

It baffles me that anyone who's been waiting on the game for this long, would wanna power through it. Embrace every second of the Shenmue 3 world because we will have earned and paid for every second of it. This could be a 4 hour game, and I will still make it last over 40 hours. Replays, speed runs, notebook completion, all story pathways, all collectibles, learn everything about each NCP... The list goes on and on.
by Peter
Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update 49 & 50: Paypal Extension & Reward po

Finally a different top worn by Yu-sama.
by Henry Spencer
Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

I'm currently working on the Guilin music compilation video. Aiming to get it done by the end of the month.

by Ziming
Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revam

Since their horrible Q&A stream with Yu, AJ should've been replaced. The Kickstarter would've been much better without them, and now they'll ruin the PayPal campaign. Moreover, I am not optimistic about trusting a newly-formed game company with a high-profile game like Shenmue, obviously they are still in the learning phase of the UE4 engine, and in today's market where a lot of AAA games exist, they wouldn't have a chance . One mistake after another and the Shenmue legacy we all love is being terribly shattered, and day after day I am starting to think that Sega's decision in wrapping up Shenmue after the second game might not be totally wrong after all.... I blame YS.net for all of this btw.
Now this is just descending into ridiculousness.

YSnet is not a newly formed game company, and neither is development partner Neilo. The development team consists of many Shenmue, AM2, and current game development veterans as well as experienced new faces like Nocon Kid. There is also nothing wrong with learning an engine while you develop your first game with it, even with engines with a tremendous amount of documentation on usage like UE4.

I'm mad about how the poll results were used too, but suddenly saying you think Shenmue should have just been left at two games after all? Give me a fucking break, don't be so melodramatic and grow up.
by Spaghetti
Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Since their horrible Q&A stream with Yu, AJ should've been replaced. The Kickstarter would've been much better without them, and now they'll ruin the PayPal campaign. Moreover, I am not optimistic about trusting a newly-formed game company with a high-profile game like Shenmue, obviously they are still in the learning phase of the UE4 engine, and in today's market where a lot of AAA games exist, they wouldn't have a chance. One mistake after another and the Shenmue legacy we all love is being terribly shattered, and day after day I am starting to think that Sega's decision in wrapping up Shenmue after the second game might not be totally wrong after all.... I blame YS.net for all of this btw.

This is over-exaggerating a bit
by ianpm31
Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

YSnet is not a newly formed game company, and neither is development partner Neilo. The development team consists of many Shenmue, AM2, and current game development veterans as well as experienced new faces like Nocon Kid. There is also nothing wrong with learning an engine while you develop your first game with it, even with engines with a tremendous amount of documentation on usage like UE4.

I'm mad about how the poll results were used too, but suddenly saying you think Shenmue should have just been left at two games after all? Give me a fucking break, don't be so melodramatic and grow up.

Ys Net Inc :Since its foundation in 2008, Ys Net has published "ONE" short-lived web game: Shenmue World. Source

Neilo Games :Since its foundation in 2010, Neilo Games has published "ONE" vita "dancing" game to mixed to bad reviews: Orgarhythm. Source

A game like Shenmue 3 is NOT the guinea pig to learn how to develop using a new game engine with.

Game development has come a long way since the days of the original Shenmue. You need to grow up and realise that things have moved way forward since, and you also need to grow up to understand that what used to work in the days of the original Dreamcast doesn't in today's market.
The fuck are you even talking about? Neilo and YSnet are still full of very experienced people and you can't ignore that.

Part of learning the engine is still part of modern game development too. Unreal Engine 3, first game developed by Epic to learn and refine the engine? Gears of War. FOX Engine, first game developed by Kojima Productions to learn and refine the game engine? Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes. I can also assure you Square Enix development teams are learning UE4 while developing: Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part One, Dragon Quest XI, etc.

Stop being ignorant. Not every single member who comes on board for a development project has to automatically be a master of a game engine, else nothing would ever get fucking made. You get senior staff experienced in the engine who teach the engine to other staff at the same time as developing a game with it. These kinds of staff are who Yu has put a priority on hiring, and there are already staff at Neilo who know how to use the engine judging from one of the first KS videos.

Don't be ignorant, stop pretending the sky is falling, and get some fucking perspective.
by Spaghetti
Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What a ridiculous overreaction some posters are having to this. Sure, it could have been handled better but I think people are forgetting what the big picture is here.
by Sh3ppy
Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic