Search found 341 matches

Return

Re: Nintendo Switch

It's got too much third party support ATM. Agree.
by shredingskin
Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nintendo Switch

:lol: This is why I came back. I missed this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utxb-kzvFZU

Apparently all the people that played SMO were very pleased:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg9oe88rKEU

So fucking hyped.

I'll be you 1-up girl is a stupidly cute quote. Loving the fucking song.
by shredingskin
Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

This last pages
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
by shredingskin
Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Switch or PSVR

Axm wrote: I guess my biggest fear is that both of these at one point or another will collect dust for months after I go through the honey moon phase with it.

They will man, they're toys.

Maybe a little less with the switch that you can carry around, but still...
by shredingskin
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Drugs in Shenmue?

Ryo and carrots ?
by shredingskin
Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hay guyz I just got a Switch :lol:

And I got Mario Kart first

I'll get Zelda soon enough.

https://i.giphy.com/media/yHUiExmU40A4U/200_s.gif

Yes, there's "something" about the system that makes it cool and even loveable.
It shouldn't work, it's a oversized phone with a couple of square controls, but when you pick it up then something magically clicks.

Just wait till you pick up BotW, I really feel like it's a stepping stone in open world games. Just try to finish Horizon first, I was really into it, then picked up Zelda, and everytime I just tried to get back into Horizon I was just thinking: "I wish this was Zelda" to the point I saw myself trying to climb a rock for like 10 seconds before I realized this was other game and how natural Zelda felt. If they can pull something similar with SMO I would be majorly impressed.

Hope you enjoy it !
by shredingskin
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You can only shoot them with arrows, depending on where you hit it you'll recieve different items, those items are required for some of the shrines, and for upgrading to better armor. But that's pretty much it, maybe they serve for buying/crafting other things. You see them, try to shoot them and see where the shard falls.
by shredingskin
Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For all the flack I can give to FFXV, I still played it longer than any other game that I have for PS4.

There's something relaxing on just being on a fucking car doing mostly nothing.

I still think it has a lot of wasted potential, and hoped it would be a lot darker/emo as fuck, but whatever, I can still enjoy it (mostly I think because of the designs and graphics though).
by shredingskin
Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Predictions

1. No
2. Depends what love interest means, if it's in the same vein as joy/xuiying then yes, a love interest that gets any reaction from ryo then no.
3. No (I want to say yes, but I don't think so)
4. No
5. No
6. Yes
7. Yes
8. Yes, at least the music will be referenced.
9. Yes
10. No
11. No
by shredingskin
Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Politics

The next step is internet surveillance and persecution of wrongthink like in germany.

Thank you left for bringing back again fascism, we really needed that.
by shredingskin
Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

phpBB [video]

Time to stop civilization and start again ?
by shredingskin
Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think it's a paramount example of what adventure games are, in the sense that the genre doesn't relies on strong mechanics, so the difference between a good and a bad GA is pretty much "everything else".

Take for example the second game, it has pretty much everything the first one has, but it isn't nearly as good as the first one, even when you try to dissect it saying "better puzzles, better story" is quite an intangible feeling, and not really something you can actually point to because puzzles and story are so correlated (or at least should be).

Even the Director's cut, everything is in there, and even some more. But it just doesn't click the same, the new scenes are ok, but I think that lose the flow that the original had, and just suggesting that Nico was investigating that stuff ended up being more powerful and give the game a more focused direction than filling the blanks. Even if the original cutscene was there moved a little further in the game, kinda makes it lose the punch it packed.

Adventure games are such an amazing genre, that everything has to be there working in synchronicity: the dialogue, the music, the graphics, the locations, the puzzles, the story. Miss one beat and you have just a sprite walking around in a background, get it right and have some of the best examples of storytelling in any medium.
by shredingskin
Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If a Shenmue Life Spinoff gets announced!

I would buy it, but I don't think it would work.

Shenmue's world is interesting because there's a story there, a definite goal, and even the sense of atmosphere that Shenmue created would be diluted if it weren't for those narrative elements.

It would have to been a lot more cartoony to approach "worklife" without being too serious and being enjoyable (thinking about those harvestmoon-type of games). And I just don't like those open ended games or mmorpgs, seem addictive for the sake of being addictive without much content (or at least the content I like).

It wouldn't be a bad idea of thinking it as an adventure game, were every citizen has some sort of story/quest ala Yakuza (or that even stretches over a whole narrative), but I don't see it as a big difference between that and the actual Shenmue. But I would love a game with similar mechanics but with a different story, a serial killer in yokosuka, a prostitute, a policeman, maybe even just a romance story (that it's an inexistent genre outside of VN).

I would take any contemporary setting in games though. I'm fucking tired of medieval/sci-fi settings.

And it makes me realize that they also cut the tokyo/like city from ffxv that appeared in the versus trailers :mad:
by shredingskin
Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think I've already said this in this forum before, but it's incredible how the first Broken Sword does really have that je ne sais quoi, about it.

It didn't matter that other games just had better graphics, 3d mechanics (that kinda hindered it), better voice acting, more puzzles, less puzzles, trying to match the music cues, trying to not match them, adding more content... There's something the first one did it just right.

I can't really get my head into it, and maybe it's nostalgia (when I was a kid it crashed before starting the second disk), but FUCK I just boot it, and there it is, it's fucking there. You just feel engaged by the fucking thing the second you start it. And it keeps you feeding stuff to make you love it even more.

I do really owe broken sword for the love I have for adventure games, really. It's just an unique genre.
by shredingskin
Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

To me the font looks similar to the yakuza battle font.
by shredingskin
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I had the initial idea to learn as less as possible about everything related to Shenmue for spoilers but I wonder if documenting the context is not better for gaming experience.

TBH Guilin is quite underwhelming in real life. The mountains are great, there are some boat trips that are pretty shenmuesque, but the caves were a little disappointing (the colors are just a light show).

I prefer the YS take on it, than the reality.
by shredingskin
Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Yu's in a park

Ziming wrote: Image

Something I noticed... It may be the Shenmue trailer being displayed in the screen behind the doors ?
by shredingskin
Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 trailer is FINALLY HERE!!

Most developers simply don't share games at this stage, or they do bullshots/cgi, it's as simple as that.

Some of the stuff looks great, some of the stuff looks unfinished (like it is), but everything (except Shenhua) looks really promising.

It doesn't help that the edition of the video looked very amateurish (and that also exacerbates the new logo).
by shredingskin
Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Teaser Surpasses 500,000 Views in 1 Day

Shenmue wasn't just a "random IP"

I do understand the salt of the xbox guys, I remember waiting on shenmue.com around 45 minutes to have a trailer that said xbox, and I it did hit me, I did get eventually an xbox for Shenmue though.

but pc is just a market that will keep on giving YSnet and shibuya income.

I do hope that deep silver do a good marketing strategy, because even with persona 5 they had some bad rep.

Shenmue is just one of those games that you can put with Ocarina of Time, Mario64, FFVII, and no one will bat an eye, and that's not an opinion, that's a freaking badge.

Shenmue IS gaming history, and now is Story that will be told.
by shredingskin
Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Screens + Note From Yu via Playstation Blog

These screenshots are just gorgeous! Ryo looks wonderful.

Would it even really be so bad if facial animation doesn't improve a huge amount? I mean, we know they are working with a relatively small budget, and they have prioritise right, so surely it's the environments that matter the most. For me it is anyway, that's where the atmosphere comes from, not the facial expressiveness. They faces in the old games were always beautiful but fairly stiff too, of course.

Even if I have some caviats on what SIII "shoucl/can be' I think mosst of us are very fucking surprised of this level of quality.

Like fucking really,m this shitn looks pretty damn good.. and it will have duyal voice over.

Likem fucking shit, most AAA games don;t have that..I just wish YS knows his stuff depp, and that's what's all sehtis been about.

LONG FUCKINGLIVE SHENMUE
by shredingskin
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Screens + Note From Yu via Playstation Blog

It's no secret that the franchise had it from as early on as the Saturn era.

I don't mind inner chi, the energy of the earth, or even some more mystical stuff.

But that flying sword (really out of nowhere), is just too much and too in your face for a game that was mostly realistic to that point.

You can have the sword react to Shenhua, without the electricity, you can have the fire without the magical laser, and the sword floating it's just too much for my taste. You can downplay it in various ways, the sword doesn't fit, Shenhua puts the hand in it and it slides easily, the wind starts blowing inside the cave, and the torches start flaming one by one like in the original game. There's still that "something weird happened here", but you keep the mystery and don't unnecessarily break the immersion (like they did with shenhua and the flowers).

Like really, how will the game progress having somewhat a realistic approach and mundane life after you saw a magical sword flying and shooting lasers ?
by shredingskin
Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Religion

@South and Himuro

I paint with big strokes, because it's the level of abstraction I think it requires, I guess there are christians that believe that god is an alien from xenex or whatever. And it meshes with the science thing that Himuro said, there have been quite a lot of scientific personalities that were killed by the religious institutions as heretics (some even already posted), no matter what the individual inclination was (and I say it's not relevant, because those institutions are somewhat a reflection of what the societal doctrine was, specially for religion that being chained to old books changes more slowly that the conduct codes/morality of a societal needs).

@Unholy There's no reason why atheism should take into account anything, it's not a set of beliefs, it's a lack of belief in deities, nothing more, nothing less. Even if some "professional atheists" dwelve in those realms. There's no need to explain why someone is an atheist when the reason is in the word, "because I don't believe in deities" is a valid answer.
by shredingskin
Tue May 23, 2017 1:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think most atheist arguments are poor.

It's a simple burden of proof, and let me say this straight, most of the time the real reason is "because I want to". At a personality level both the believe of god and the lack of it, gives the person the sense of "knowing", and with that notion is easier to travel the path of living. Some people find the lack of a god comforting in the meaning that we are what we are and we get what we get. Some religious people also feel the same, but think of a non interventionist god that is so interventionist that is basically the same if it didn't exist. And some people find the believe in a god comforting.

For me is very simple to be atheist, simply because "god" is such a bullshit term that encompass "everything" and means nothing (and needs to be painstaking-timeconsuming endeavor to address in individual matters).

We are fucking thrown into the world that is full of danger, and aware of our mortality, different people cope with it by different means.

Oh ok, yeah I was more thinking in the context of the big ol image of "imagine no religion" in my face scrolling down the page.

I do think that no religious societies can exist, look at countries, you follow the rules (law) not because there's a god, but because it's tacitally agreed that they're in place to benefit you while not benefitting any/everybody else. Even if you don't believe that the state can/will guarantee that, there are institutions set in place to enforce those rules, and you can take a gamble on it.
by shredingskin
Tue May 23, 2017 1:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

@Himuro, asking for the burden of proof is the most normal question to ask if you don't believe someone/something, you wouldn't call it dehumanization in any other context. Specially for something like "god" that there's no real definition of it.

Humans Are good finding patterns, thanks to that we can have language, and we use that to try to understand the world. We tend to anthropomorphize everything, to stars, to planets, to trees, to pets, etc. Because it's our domain of understanding and we do that just trying to translate that existence to ours. It's not hard to see that most of the representations of gods have a common ancestry in the sun, and humans are hierarchical animals, so it's easy to justify the nature of that in a madeup god (as you can see in most oldest tribal religions like shinto). I don't agree that humans search for god, I could agree they try to search for answers and the antropomorphization of phenomena was a tool to quench the thirst of knowledge that was out of their domain.

BTW never said that "living on a harsh world" means there's no god, but it is indeed a reason of why people create religions (specially since most of them like to tackle afterlife).

@south carmain: I don't know why you call those not natural evolution, we are highly social animals, we evolved a great sense of empathy to make those societies work. You can see those "morals" in most pack animals (and specially those with bigger packs), so it's not hard to imagine a world where those rules don't need to be justified by deities.

I do agree that religions in history played a big role to find societal cohesion (in societies more complex than those of pack animals), but I don't think it's still needed today (but that's another matter).

Today I think that religion divides people more than it unites.
by shredingskin
Tue May 23, 2017 12:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dengeki and 4Gamer interviews quick translations

Well, that gave a reason for the change to cartoony characters (that some people thought it wasn't a design choice).

I hope they can nail the animations, the great thing about cartoons is that they can have a very wide range of emotions and still be emphatic, but they'll have to nail it.
by shredingskin
Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: VG 24/7 interview with Yu

You could have just said Yes. :P

I just wanted to confirm that it happened since things seemed to go silent, not asking when it would be posted. It would have been a shame if it didn't work out, as he probably asked questions that the mainstream interviews wouldn't have covered.
I honestly don't know what I'm allowed to say or not so I'm staying ambiguous.

Read into that what you will. :lol:

I think I know exactly what that means. At least I hope it's what I'm thinking.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yLZiWr2kW4U/hqdefault.jpg
We're Talking About Sex, Right?
by shredingskin
Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who Is Mr Muscles?

He's also looking for revenge.

Looking for the plastic surgeon that killed his face.
by shredingskin
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So trying to understand how the universe works is the same as saying "god did it lol" ??

Do you understand that there's not a "mathematical impossibility that ours arose by chance" ?? There are things that are mathematically improbable, for example you/me existing, if I had to grab one of the millions of sperms your father had and I had to choose "you" would be really hard to predict, but you still exist, you're not impossible.
There are still many gaps to understanding the universe, but thanks to not sticking to "lol god did it" we found out about higgs boson, quantum fluctuation, dark matter and dark energy ??

The difference is that science can formulate verifiable theories of how physics work (that's how they eventually found higgs boson), meanwhile with religion you just set a goalpost and stick to it, the reason of why everything must be created but god doesn't need a creator is just "god lol", and no one needs to stick to any theory and no one believes on faith, some theories are more verifiable than others, and some are just more popular and can't be falsified right now because lack of evidence/tools. And no one does say "hey this is 100% what happened", they just show theories of how, according to our understanding of the physical realm, MIGHT have happened, and most people are fine with saying "we don't know" except religious people that go 'yeah, the biggest mystery of all, that requires bast knowledge, I know it's god".
by shredingskin
Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Atheist don't believe in gods not because of faith, but lack of evidence, you don't need faith to not believe unicorns exist, the burden of proof is in the people asserting it exists. Atheism isn't "belief on modern science as total truth" it's a lack of belief on gods (specially religious ones, that have been typified).
Science is not "empirical materialism", it's just that as far as we know there isn't anything that it's supernatural, and as time goes on the models of physics keep getting updated and keep making accurate predictions.

To me it's not the same trying to find out how the universe came to be like it is based on observations, that saying "god did it", because it still leaves the same question open "what created god ?".

If you think that there's something else than the natural, show me. But no one has proven anything, and the more we know, the more they attest to the physics model we currently have going on.

I do think that religions have good aspects, and very bad ones, I think that the good aspects of religion can easily be found on secular mediums.
by shredingskin
Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Yu's at a party

Gaming jornalists are pretty much bloggers that liked videogames but got bored about it (and their life probably) after becoming "pros", and just try to be cynic fucks without having the intelligence or creativity to make it work and having a unique style.

It's weird because videogames industry is so big and the gamer is pretty involved in their hobby/medium, but their job it's not different from any random guy shitposting online, only that they're sour about it.

At the same time, I guess the traffic from gaming is so big they need to write "something" about anything, and they just try to frame a shitty "look at this trailer" news in a way to get some more attention.

Also videogaming critique it's quite in it's infancy, and games have quite a diverse language, that most critiques are regular gaming joe, gut feeling, pandering or purple prose. But I guess it's what you can call most of the critiques besides some more concrete mediums such as music.
by shredingskin
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

@Rakim, I use the abrahamic god, because like I said earlier, it's the most common fictional depiction, is typified and easy to find sources (than let's just say "it's like a love energy", then proceed to exchange it with the abrahamanic god, but without the texts, always moving the goalpost), because abrahamanic religions have a lot of power and I find a lot of those beliefs quite dysfunctional with the modern world (or straight fucked up).

Sorry ThIef, but most of the problem comes with your assertion that believing = faith, and that's just an aberration of language. Let's say you like cereal, no one in their right mind would say "I have faith I like cereal", it's used as a synonym pretty much only in religious context, faith is a devout belief in something without evidence that's why it's pretty much only used in religious context and future proclamations in the vernacular.

dbzruler said that atheism isn't a belief SYSTEM, and it's accurate (even though today can be conflated with scientific realism and skepticism), most of the times people that believe in gods do have a belief system, basically because most think of a "ruled universe", an interventionist being or a "energy of balance/good", whatever the flavor is. Yes atheists don't believe in gods, they don't have FAITH there isn't any gods, because the burden of proof is on the one asserting there is.

Like you said, you can research the scientific claims yourself, and ''anybody' can debunk them (because in hard science results should be falseable and reproducible), it's the same reason you don't take all your food/drinks to the lab to see if there isn't poison, because you have already tried a thousand of times and it didn't, so you have an expectation based on observation and experience. Of course in the regular domain our observations aren't as methodical and empirical as in the scientific realm, but most of the time our claims are not of the same importance and scope, so the experience becomes good enough evidence.

If you want to go with the "god of the gaps" argument, like you did with evolution, I can turn it around just as easy: why would a god take so many iterations to create a fucking bird ? Why would the fuck we still have not working appendixes ? Why the fuck would an intelligent design left the signs of the evolutive process in most animals ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1a1Ek-HD0
There is quite a lot of alternative theories to evolution, evolution is taught a fact not because "there are some gaps", but because there is ENORMOUS evidence of it. FFS we even fucking know which sequence of DNA gave us our eye color, we know how it divides, we know how it mutates, and we know how it mixes to create a new animal.

You know why nobody will ever again think "but maybe it's god" ?, because THAT'S NOT AN EXPLANATION, you just only mud the question with more questions like: what created god ?, how did god do it?, WHY did god do it?, why god appears to troll everyone leaving signs of evolution ?, if god did it how the fuck there are so many fucked up species/animals/individuals ? And the most successful answer you can muster is that "god made evolution", and just leaves open the same can of questions, for something that is not needed AT ALL, that is goodwill faith based on fiction.

BTW evolution = / = abiogenesis, is a different subject.

Do you know why science is concerned only with "materialist ideology" ?? Because that's the only thing there is. You are conflating materialism that has bad connotations, and ideology meaning it's just a lens to see stuff. If you can provide an example of ANYTHING outside the natural realm, my best bet is that science will study it, but the natural IS material. You know what was considered "supernatural" ?? Thunders, the sun, the planets, fucking everything we didn't understood, and thanks to science we now do (for a good part at least).

Like really it sounds nice saying "lol those scientist ideologues", but what the fuck are they supposed to study ?? The unnatural ?? Ghosts ?? Give them a ghost then, find one, because my best bet is that you won't, and my best bet for you not finding it it's because they don't exist. Really, they've found things that barely have any gravitational pull, how less materialistic do you want them to go ?? It looks like you're saying "they're not studying god, that's materialistic, it's an ideology like feminism or capitalism". IT'S NOT, there's nothing to "observe" about god, nothing reacts to "god", there's not a single evidence of "god", because "god" is a fictional character. That's why they can't study it with science.
by shredingskin
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #74 - Gamescom Travelogue

These ones have a little bit better res

http://shenmue.link/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/S3_Ctsn_0831_01.jpg
http://shenmue.link/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/S3_Ctsn_0831_02.jpg
http://shenmue.link/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/S3_Ctsn_0831_03.jpg

EDITEd to the highres ones.
by shredingskin
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #74 - Gamescom Travelogue

Did anyone find some higher resolution versions of those gorgeous new images?

Found them
http://shenmue.link/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/S3_Ctsn_0831_01.jpg
http://shenmue.link/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/S3_Ctsn_0831_02.jpg
http://shenmue.link/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/S3_Ctsn_0831_03.jpg
by shredingskin
Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What TV series are you watching?

Fuck Twin Peaks, really 18 1 hour episodes were needed for that ??

I will not say that I did not enjoy some of it quite a bit, but fuck, there's not 18 hours of content there.
by shredingskin
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and my concerns

It's a no-brainer, they would have to rewrite everything, basically do a whole new engine. In benefit of what ??
The lighting solution of UE is solid as fuck, the workflow is great and very artist oriented, blueprints can get quite messy but it's still a nice system, matinee is great for making cutscenes.

Also if they really want to make a similar combat style they can look in the source of the real engine and translate the algorithms, but it's not what YS wants, and the comments he made is more akin to "we were used to have our hands in the dough", for the creative type is kinda a deal of authorship.

UE is as a solid engine as they come (and I'm not a fanboy of the engine).

Also, Shenmue aesthetic was ps2 type of deal, it will take a while to look at it with strong nostalgia or a style into itself, so it'll just look like a lowtech game, unlike a lot of indie games that are consciously looking back to create a retro aesthetic. Take for example that now we are just starting to look the vertex snapping and lowres textures of the psx era with some nostalgia and judging it apart from the technical aspect. We could say that Shenmue (and the whole ps2/xbox era) still in the same "trying to get realism" aesthetic that we are in, and now we start to look other ways to make games visually appealing.
by shredingskin
Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Screenshot Speculation/Analysis thread

Looking at the trailer looks like the game is set in China or something asian, I'll keep the investigation.
by shredingskin
Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: S3 Progress Report Vol 4 Facial Animations

It's a progress update, should be for fucking fans, and take into account that it's mostly showing the range of "emotions" they are working, the model is even in a t pose making it even more surreal.

I would say that the gamescom trailer was a weird marketing move, but this is a backer update to show PROGRESS, people fucking on this are just being assholes.

It looks a little dated, ok, but bad ? For what it's pretty much an indie game with tons of characters ? Really ?

Now YS should keep the fans without updates because some people are going to be shitty ??
by shredingskin
Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No, no. You're exactly right about that. By blind fanboy faith, I meant when your faith leads you to thinking irrationally and ignoring things that are painfully obvious. Nothing wrong with a little faith as long as it's informed.

Even if you hate everything they showed, and the end result ends up being a mess, it's just better to have faith than live 1 year sour.

The wheels are already in motion, it's not like people are gonna go "X guys doesn't like it, let's throw away everything and accomodate their tastes".

At most the moment of being critical will be in the closed beta, and at that moment most of the job will just be performance, polishing and some mechanic tweaks (if they actually care about feedback).
by shredingskin
Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I would agree if this was a trailer showed at a big event, or a re/reveal trailer or something.

It's a testing video for a kickstarter game showing fans progress, you have to be pretty willing to shit on anything just for the sake of it, it's not a matter of misscomunication.

Even being hyperbolic like talking if the animations are the worse that have ever been, give me a break, they're fine.

I know half of the internet is trolling, and gamers like to shit on games, but it's not a YS problem, if anything they should be applauded to give us actual real development footage and letting us know they are aware of the comments.

I still don't like the character design, but I'll live with it (really, for me just put the shenhua dress in the last girl and I'll take it above the "actual" shenhua), and I guess some people might like it.
by shredingskin
Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nothing incredibly good, neither really bad, I guess they used an old lady to show more of the blendshapes that can be quite tricky because of the pronounced cheeks, and they're trying pretty "extreme" versions.

They don't really need expensive mocap to do a good job though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCazsg4X2s

This is probably automated blendshapes from text/speech, in cutscenes they'll probably animate them separatedly.

It looks ok, not really AAA standard, but good enough.

EDIT: TBH I prefer the second character, but man, it kinda clash quite a bit with the others characters we've seen, weird that they juxtaposed those just like that.
by shredingskin
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The clip was easy to criticize- at first look most people are going to think its Mass Effect Andromeda awkwardness.
They need to literally explain "now, this is just a test- notice the T pose and the eyes aren't tracking, so they just look straight, but here the animator is going through some facial expressions... and now in sync with dialogue. Coming along nicely- can't wait to see it all working together"

They should also explain that it's actually a 3d model created by triangles in a numeric array, they're not actually having slaves at gunpoint doing faces in a prision that looks like a computer screen.

Come on, the people that are fucking with this will complain about anything.
by shredingskin
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue III flashbacks for a more compelling experience

At first I thought that the game may be challenging to get into for newcomers, but if the flashbacks are done in the right way, it could add a level of intrigue/mystery for new players that may even surpass the original linear story.

I think building some intrigue over how/where the mirror's were found out, the scrolls/leaf, even major characters like ren, guizang or Xiuying being mentioned but not built into an overexplanation of the characters till their reveal would create a new layer of intrigue.

This may be an interesting approach, more than just sprinkling some cutscenes in a fanservice fashion, or some "Oh yeah I remember this stuff" or just context dumps.

What do you guys think or how would you approach this ?
by shredingskin
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NeoGAF down as owner faces sexual allegations again

Actually happy it happened.

I was scared that that fucking echochamber of rapists and child molesters were going to try dogpile SIII because Niao Sun.

Good riddance.
by shredingskin
Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NeoGAF down as owner faces sexual allegations again

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand NeoGAF. The groping is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical child pornography most of the assaults will go over a typical victim's head. There’s also the mods' censorship outlook, which is deftly woven into their constant bannings- their personal philosophies draw heavily from liberal extremism, for instance. The posters understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these bannings and sexual assaults, to realize that they’re not just people being shitty- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike NeoGAF truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humor in the user's existential catchphrase “Gamergate did it,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Sarkeesian's epic Tropes VS Women in Video Games.
I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those Russian hacking simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as NeoGAF’s genius wit unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools.. how I pity them.
by shredingskin
Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania

DId they already patched a good game in ? Something like Mario Odyssey ?
by shredingskin
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic