Search found 1 match

Return

Re: $15million or bust Kickstarter instead of waterdown game

15 million... I think that would have been highly unrealistic. The worlds most funded project ever was the Pebble time watch - around 20 million. But there you got a piece of hardware which was pretty much like the apple watch - just long before that - for 159 Dollars. And their funding goal was 500,000 Dollars. The highest goal ever - from waht i remember - was 2 million dollar for the veronica Mars movie.

2 million on kickstarter is already a lot - especially for a game. keep in mind that it has nearly zero production cost - so like 98% goes directly to development. For something like the pebble watch - even if you can produce it for like 80 bucks per piece in big quantities you already lose half of the money on production cost.

For a video game Shenmue is performing beyong all expectations already. keep in mind - it's 29 Dollars for the game, so even if a hundred thousand people would have spent that we would not have reached the 3 million yet.

that we reached like 3.2 million US from just 41,000 backers is already really a lot. For a game that hasn't even started development yet (the normal Joe can't even tell it's great yet) and for a game that is not released on Xbox, Mac OSX, Wii U or Linux at all.

15 million is just - a dreamers thing. highly unrealistic. We wanted Shenmue 3, not a crushed dream of Shenmue 3. So the way it's working out right now was perfect. That the kickstarter campaign has already broken many records on kickstarter is highly encouraging. Other games like Wasteland 2 got less money in a month then what Shenmue 3 got in 3 days and they made a wonderful game with a gigantic world, great voices, awesome quests, characters and stories and they did NOT have Yu Suzuki on board. So i got no doubts that Shenmue 3 will be great. maybe we won't get seperate footstep sound for every character, no horoscope and biography for every NPC, but honestly - who remembers the blood type of the tobacco lady from Shenmue 1 or how different Ine sans steps in the kitchen sounded from Ryos? We also don't need to make an engine from scratch that drives a brand new unknown console to its limits or awesome compression and file managemtn strategies for new media (GD-ROM). I think Yu will deliver a GREAT game with awesome graphics and the story we waited for. if we break the world record of funding for a video game on Kickstarter i think we can already be VERY happy. And at the moment it seems we are exactly on this way.
by Master Kyodai
Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic