Search found 77 matches

Return

Re: Shenmue Re-texturing in HD

Maybe, maybe...
but:
- I don't think there's really will be big difference at real Dreamcast (probably only on extremly close-up scenes)
- Texture file size will be increased, so after all you also need to fit it on CD-R somehow, if you gonna play on real hardware of course ;-)
- also there is chance of glitches, bugs, lags etc. who knows..
- yep, there's reaaaly alot of work.
Anyway, i just tested on Shenmue 2 Ryo model( NullDC, 1600x900)
I replaced this http://www.adslclub.ru/upload/img/2013-03/10-18412411539.png to this(I got it from Shenmue passport) http://www.adslclub.ru/upload/img/2013-03/10-18435574064.png and the result is below, don't forget to zoom:

First:
http://www.adslclub.ru/upload/img/2013-03/10-18491184635.jpg
Second:
http://www.adslclub.ru/upload/img/2013-03/10-18535537552.jpg

First:
http://www.adslclub.ru/upload/img/2013-03/10-18552164534.jpg
Second:
http://www.adslclub.ru/upload/img/2013-03/10-18562328447.jpg
by Radar
Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Official Gaming Music Topic

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iETqto0Npq4[/youtube]
Sad and cruel...
by Radar
Thu May 02, 2013 10:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue II - Aberdeen and Wan Chai maps

I'm working on it...
Here it is!
Fortune's Pier
http://www.adslclub.ru/upload/img/2013-06/19-10140414600.png
Worker's Pier
http://www.adslclub.ru/upload/img/2013-06/19-10163819595.png
Queen's St.
http://www.adslclub.ru/upload/img/2013-06/19-10153040722.png
Golden Qr.
http://www.adslclub.ru/upload/img/2013-06/19-10143046203.png
Green Market Qr.
http://www.adslclub.ru/upload/img/2013-06/19-10145549645.png
Lucky Charm Qr.
http://www.adslclub.ru/upload/img/2013-06/19-10151380744.png
South Carmain Qr.
http://www.adslclub.ru/upload/img/2013-06/19-10154598972.png
White Dynasty Qr.
http://www.adslclub.ru/upload/img/2013-06/19-10161082649.png
Wise Men's Qr.
http://www.adslclub.ru/upload/img/2013-06/19-10162393916.png

Btw Original map size was 512x512, Aberdeen's maps for some reasons was in one file(Text+Map at same texture) Also here is https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0cu7xololfmzom/Shenmue2_maps.rar PSD files in a case if you want to remove replace etc. something. Except Aberdeen's maps
by Radar
Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Have you given up or still hopeful?

phpBB [video]

Never say Never...
by Radar
Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 760 die in UK heat wave

still better than -40 at winter
by Radar
Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ryo confessed to Nozomi

phpBB [video]

Just experiment, not exactly what I wanted, but :D
by Radar
Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryo confessed to Nozomi

Thanks! At the end I had only 3 seconds to replace "I've gotta go... my grandmother needs to use a phone", so it's messed up a little.
Giorgio
I made a tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTQISVpCR24
Basically, you need Awave studio and hex and audio editor, I used WinHEX and Audacity. At Hexeditor you'll probably need only (0..20) lines,but I didn't tested it, Anyway, I'm not a programmer, so I dunno 8)
SpinDash
Yeah, I used "I love.." from capsule toys phrase, and "you" from somewhere else. Similar with other lines, the main problem was to find a file with right intonation.
by Radar
Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Yu Suzuki's project

First two pages, I skipped intro part. Also, I'll probably need someone to edit text.
I want to make translation as close as possible, and actually it is my first translation attempt from Russian.., so you know... :D

Title: Yu Suzuki Makes games about what he likes.
(The second detailed interview to western press, Strana Igr(Gameland) Exclusive.
We avoid the obvious questions, and trying to find out things that game designer never told anyone before!)

...Yu Suzuki glad, relaxes and ready to answer frankly to our questions, not how Japanese developers usually speaking with western press
I'm asking, how development of Virtua Fighter started, and how was it, to make first world 3D fighting game?

Yu Suzuki answering: Back then, 2D-fightings, like Street Fighter 2 was popular. 3D graphic in games was very primitive. You could only make models from triangles, that doesn't even had textures. And because of that 3D-characters resembled robots. There's wasn't opportunity to make graphics really beautiful, and because of that I decided to spend all my efforts to make character movements correct and realistic. Street Fighter had nice sprites, but we had very smooth movements and 60 frames per second. To make all animation looks right, I made all my designers take lessons of martial arts. Cause if they can't imagine how it's looks like in real life, they won't be able to draw and model it ! And it's important not only for designers. We gathered all our workers at office and created a real martial arts tournament. We gave a job to people who showed themselves at good side , and others was left with paperwork. I myself went to China, to learn martial arts, and tried all these punches and kicks myself. And because Street Fighter was very beautiful game, I decided to concentrate all my efforts on realism.

The answer probably will wonder a lot people in Russia, cause we have it's like: 3D, technologically cool graphics – this is good, and simple sprites – it is all in past century. Remember, how peoples criticized Duke 3D compared to Quake. But from Yu Suzuki's point of view polygonal graphic isn't main advantage. Rather, it's created additional problems

Yu Suzuki continued: We was making something new, something that nobody tried before, and because of that we had a lot of troubles. For example, programmers never worked on 3D games before. And even graphic designers for different requests, answered: “It's not part of my job!”. So I had no other choice but teach and explain everything to people I had at company and who was willing to work. And by the way telling them, that right now maybe it's not part of your job, but in future there's will be more and more work with 3D, and because of that, just for yourself it would be useful to know how it's works. Cause, anyway, sooner or later you will have to. And as you see, back then I was right.
by Radar
Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Yu Suzuki's project

First and Second pages from this post
Title: Yu Suzuki Makes games about what he likes.
(The second detailed interview to western press, Strana Igr(Gameland) Exclusive.
We avoid the obvious questions, and trying to find out things that game designer never told anyone before!)

...Yu Suzuki glad, relaxes and ready to answer frankly to our questions, not how Japanese developers usually speaking with western press
I'm asking, how development of Virtua Fighter started, and how was it, to make first world 3D fighting game?

Yu Suzuki answering: Back then, 2D-fightings, like Street Fighter 2 was popular. 3D graphic in games was very primitive. You could only make models from triangles, that doesn't even had textures. And because of that 3D-characters resembled robots. There's wasn't opportunity to make graphics really beautiful, and because of that I decided to spend all my efforts to make character movements correct and realistic. Street Fighter had nice sprites, but we had very smooth movements and 60 frames per second. To make all animation looks right, I made all my designers take lessons of martial arts. Cause if they can't imagine how it's looks like in real life, they won't be able to draw and model it ! And it's important not only for designers. We gathered all our workers at office and created a real martial arts tournament. We gave a job to people who showed themselves at good side , and others was left with paperwork. I myself went to China, to learn martial arts, and tried all these punches and kicks myself. And because Street Fighter was very beautiful game, I decided to concentrate all my efforts on realism.

The answer probably will wonder a lot people in Russia, cause we have it's like: 3D, technologically cool graphics – this is good, and simple sprites – it is all in past century. Remember, how peoples criticized Duke 3D compared to Quake. But from Yu Suzuki's point of view polygonal graphic isn't main advantage. Rather, it's created additional problems

Yu Suzuki continued: We was making something new, something that nobody tried before, and because of that we had a lot of troubles. For example, programmers never worked on 3D games before. And even graphic designers for different requests, answered: “It's not part of my job!”. So I had no other choice but teach and explain everything to people I had at company and who was willing to work. And by the way telling them, that right now maybe it's not part of your job, but in future there's will be more and more work with 3D, and because of that, just for yourself it would be useful to know how it's works. Cause, anyway, sooner or later you will have to. And as you see, back then I was right.
Third Page:
(continued from second page) There's wasn't any specialized 3D Processors, as they exist now. And so I, by myself, had to write a code to work with 3D graphics that would proceed it very fast. Just using Assembler. Now, of course, everyone write on C++, but back then we had to write everything at machine code, otherwise we wasn't be able to make everything fast enough.

There's Jenya Zakirov sitting at the table, our main fightings fan, he is interesting, how Virtua Fighter's battle system was created? And we got an answer that we didn't expected

Back then, the standard was Street Fighter II with 6 buttons, and I decided to make less buttons. In my opinion, it's convenient for developer to make a software with a lot of buttons, It's like: “Let gamer suffer with it and make him remember all their combination”. So I decided to limit it with 3 buttons: Punch, Kick and Block. And to understand which combinations is more familiar for gamers, I gathered a lot of people, gave them controller, and asked them to press any random buttons as they wish. Then I got all statistics and selected more common patterns. Starting with simple, like “Punch-Punch” and “Kick-Kick”. And so based on that, I built a battle system. I wanted to make people, who saw this game for the first time, theoretically, win, just by smashing buttons

It's interesting that, Virtua Fighter is considered as example of technician fighting, where winning just by “smashing buttons” is quite hard, But now we know how it really is...

Anyway, there's already enough talk about Virtua Fighter, so we decided to ask Yu Suzuki about his old “forgotten” hits, for example Space Harrier – shooter with very strange visual settings, surrealistic fantasy, Why did you decided to make game looks like this?

At first, we wanted to make a game, where jet could fly and shoot. But then we realized that it's gonna be difficult to draw in all projections, and it will take a lot of free space in memory of arcade machine. Draw a human is much easier, and it's not necessary to make him fully realistic, and it's doesn't require much of free space. Also back than I liked manga “Space Cobra”, a movie “Neverending story” , and works of artist Roger Dean, based on which Cameron created his “Avatar” world. From all these three sources I got my inspiration when I worked on “Space Harrier”.

About Roger Dean, Yu Suzuki still talked for a long time, with admiration, like – even he's influence can be found in Final Fantasy design, and fans of series didn't even heard about him.

Another two his old hits like “Out Run” and “After Burner” not so exotic, but their sequels suggest themselves. We trying to understand how real it is,and for the first time Yu Suzuki took out his laptop, we looking at pictures and video clips from his two games for mobile platforms, first – resembles Out Run, second – After burner. Titles are different but visual style are the same, Sega should be upset
Ok, let's get back to fightings, in one interview Jenya Zakirov read that there's was time when Yu Suzuki helped famous Tomonobu Itagaki with his Dead or Alive, how is that happened?

When I worked on Virtua Fighter 3, Itagaki-san came by for an advice about Dead or Alive. I helped him a little. The fact is, Itagaki never worked with 3D fightings before, and he wanted to clarify a couple of moments from me about 3D graphics. And I really glad that he was able to make a hit!

Jenya Davidyuk (translator) asked by herself: Did he even invited you for a dinner later, in a gratitude?

Yu Suzuki *throw up a hands*: “No... somehow no”

I wonder how is it even possible – To take advice from a rival company employee, especially in Japan!?

Yu Suzuki proudly answered: With pleasure, I'll discuss games, and give an advice for anyone – even for a newbie in my company or even for an employee from a rival company, even for a person on the street.
by Radar
Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki Exclusive with Strana Igr

Mostly page number four :)
Fightings was created for arcade machines marked, which is generally recognized on its last legs.
But even so, it didn't disappeared and still able to bring millions of dollars to authors of successful games. For example, even now Tekken, firstly starts on arcade and only then ports to consoles. What Yu Suzuki thinks about all that?

In a past, arcades was probably the only way of electronic entertainment, but now you can have a games with cool graphics in your mobile phone. So, now arcades – it's a place where you can go to relax with friends, something like Live-entertainment. It's like a concert. You can listen to music at home, or you can go to a performance. So it's the same here: you are playing and others are watching and cheers for you. This is a role, a niche of todays arcade games.
Yu suzuki doesn't have prejudices about mobile or trial MMO games.

It's nice when people have a choice – they can go to arcade, play at home, or on mobile phones

We understand what he trying to say, because for now, resources of his own studio is only enough to make such kind of projects, not so long ago he created a social game Shenmue city.
We go back to fightings again and asking him about future of genre, what Yu Suzuki think should be changed? And again, he gave us unexpected answer

Modern fightings are too much hardcore, “maniacs”. And such maniacs fightings are limit the audience, and because of that, fewer people are playing, and at this rate genre can sink into oblivion. And so because of that I'm for a more simpler games.
Jenya Zakirov wonders: Don't you think, that only hardcore games are interesting for a tournaments, and tournaments are what attract attention of a lot of people to genre and increase the audience?”
Now it would be appropriate to recall, for example MOBA-games, which only by the such way became the one of most popular genres.

Yu Suzuki insists that fightings should become simpler and change ideologically: Difficulty in fightings are usually based on the requirements for accurate reaction and memorization of combinations. Which means, that you need to accurately calculate the timing,and faultlessly press buttons. But I would like to make win depended on how gamer thinks. To make him think, like “ If I hit with arm now, and then kick with a leg , I could win”
I want to make win based on right decisions. And because of that battle system in fightings still imperfect. Even in Virtua Fighter. If you wasn't able to press button in exact moment, and because of that you loose, the problem is not in you wrong decision. The game just set the task on reaction for you. Did you accomplished or failed combination – this is on what win depends. It would be better to attach sensor on gamer, so all his thoughts could be instantly and faultlessly implemented by character on screen. So then it will be not just battle of solutions, but a real fighting, and real in a good way, not thanks to blood and violence. For example, for this could be suitable sensors that measure Alpha-waves, and it's not a distant future, people already work successfully in such direction for a long time. There are people , for example, who have microchips that can control heart function. Of course, I doubt that someone will insert something inside of them for games, but if stick it temporally on them – why not? Another example in this direction is Kinect from Xbox 360. So we don't have to wait much longer, and there's will be time for new realistic fightings.
I remember, that about alpha-waves is what Yu Suzuki told to Valery Korneev in that interview long ago (looks like, there's was another interview about 12 years ago, but i'm not sure :-k )
And also a couple E3 ago I saw an indie-game, where you should wear an alpha-wave sensor that allows you to move character in a game with a power of thoughts. Unfortunately, only orders like move forward and back, left and right, was recognized, and nothing more
Yu Suzuki continued: People still need to work on how to show fights, - imagine, what if TV sets disappeared and instead you look at holograms of fighting people. In a past, processors wasn't powerful enough to draw everything nicely on screen. But now you can model characters that won't be different from real people.
by Radar
Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Page number... Five!
Sounds cool, while we digest Yu Suzuki's answer, he is again searching something on his laptop, and show us photo of himself in his youth,working on punches.

Do you know why in most fightings when you press one button character makes double blow?

Now he's asking us. We have no idea.

The real strikes of master is so fast, so that you almost can't see them. If in a game you'll show them realistically, then gamer just won't be able to recognize a move, he won't be able to understand that he is being attacked, he just won't be able to react. So this is why one strike became a double blow.
Only then you'll be able to see it.

We are looking at photos of Yu Suzuki from China, where he studied, I'm asking how he became interesting in martial arts?

I watched a lot of movies with Bruce Lee. And my Sensei, by the way, it is that who strikes fast, he's really cool too. I watched a movies with Bruce Lee frame by frame to make Jacky and my Sensei was a prototype for Akira.
Jenya Zakirov remembered the question that plagued him all his life: Is Pai somehow related to Chun Li? They really looks a like. Even now Yu Suzuki ready to answer frankly:

I personally, not a fan of Chun Li, but I thought about users who liked Chun Li. I personally prefer Sarah, but I created Pai, so that fans that expected to see something similar won't be disappointed too. I thought that nobody will likes Sarah. That is, I conducted a market survey and realized that character like Pai is exactly what gamers need. And Sarah – is my personal, favorite “child”. So this is why there's two girls in a game. By the way, I personally thought through background of all characters. For example, Sarah never looking back when she close the door. Sarah smoke. Sarah likes to drink tequila. And she drinks tequila with shots in one gulp. In the game, such details are not mentioned, but just for myself I thought through all that. And I was able to embody some of them in anime when it appeared. Unfortunately without booze and cigarettes. This is what I can tell you.

Natasha Odintsova asks what Yu Suzuki thinks about fightings with weapons?

Game designer doesn't like them much: With weapon everyone can win. Only in fights without weapons you can see a real strength of the warrior. It is not interesting, when a winner is who have a bigger gun isn't it? In a fightings with a weapons, there will be a problem with realism. If man was sliced with katana, but he still alive and can fight – how is that possible? I wanted to make everything realistically, in fights with bare hands, fighters can really withstand some hits before get knocked out.
by Radar
Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Number six
Moving to probably most popular subject related to Yu Suzuki, and starting with a question about how Shenmue was developed, and here we heard a details that nobody never talked before outside of Sega!

It was at the time of Sega Saturn, Sega wanted a “killer title” for a new console, i.e for upcoming Sega Dreamcast. The company management asked for a new epic RPG. And I made a prototype for a console that we already had, i.e Saturn. It was other game, not like Shenmue, but in open world too. And that game, in my opinion, initially was more interesting than Shenmue. That is, in Shenmue, father of protagonist was killed and he is seeking revenge, but prototype was fun, without heavy thoughts.

Just imagine: open world, where are growing apples and peaches, that you can collect. Old man sitting on a bench, you asking him a questions but he ignores them and whines that he wants a peach. If you bring him an apple or mandarin, he gets angry and yells that he doesn't eat that. Another old man is fishing, and there is kids playing around him. But actually he is a great martial arts master.

And he is so cool, so that he throw a pebble in a water and kill three fishes with ricochet, which floats belly-up. Kids are happy. He is such professional not only in martial arts. And what more, when you go from one city to another, there is a bridge and there's old man too. You want to pass through and old man throw his slippers into river. And saying to protagonist: “Oh, I dropped my sandals, can you bring them for me?” Wherein if you complete the quest and bring him his slippers, he throw them into river again, and again whines and asking you to bring them for him. And so you need to complete this quest 3 times, only then master will make sure that you are patient and tell you important information. Don't you agree that it's not such a gloomy game as Shenmue?
We're laughing like a wild horses, and through laugh asking him : Why is that game never get into production? And Yu Suzuki explains:

It was just a test do demonstrate conception of a open world game. At the end, Shenmue that everyone know was being in development. And about that test, you are the first who heard about it!

I specify: Shenmue in present form, existed for Saturn in form of prototype, right?

Yu Suzuki agrees: Yes there's was a lot of prototypes, and in the end, the more promising one was chosen, which was implemented on Dreamcast. Specifically, we didn't planned to release Shenmue on Saturn, it was just a platform for tests.
by Radar
Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Seven
The next question is probably most important for Yu Suzuki's fans. We asking, what would Yu Suzuki like to do with Shenmue, if he had a freedom to make everything as he wants?

Actually, I'm right now making what I want. I took all the best that was in Shenmue, all that “know-how”, dropped everything that I didn't liked and was not interesting for me, and making a new project. It will be a fantasy. Not China and not a Japan, but a new fantasy world.
Fantasy can be different, so we are specify: Is it gonna be something medieval like, or something more exotic? Yu Suzuki shows us illustrations:

Here, I already draw a characters for the game. I draw them myself. There are a protagonists, there is a sea, and there is a mountain and on very top of it is a castle. It's stands so high, to be able to see far away and watch a pirate ships that could attack a city. I like an artist Alphonse Mucha, and I decided to work in his style. Usually, designers are making all illustrations for me, but this time I decided to draw myself. This game already have a script, and music too.
We asking, when the announcement? And this is where Yu Suzuki become sad:

It's too soon for an announcement. I have a lot of different projects, and every of them needs a sponsor.

He shows us a folder with projects on his laptop. There's about fifteen of sub-folders, one of them called Shenmue 3.

Needs a funding

We understand, that with a direct sequel of Shenmue is the same story. And We gave an advice to Yu Suzuki to ask for money from the people. Crowdfunding – it is so popular. Yu Suzuki confused a little, but he promised us to think about it. We saying that once we will see his project on kickstarter, we will invest so much money as we can. He is happy and shows us another his project, with pets and flying houses. Its development has progressed much further, there is a video clip with game play and looks like even a demo version. But unfortunately, we can't talk about that. So we going back to interview questions.
What the difference between modern game designers and game designers from 90's?

Yu Suzuki explains: In 90's games were made from scratch. Nobody knew how to make them properly. But now games are business, industry, all the basic techniques and technologies are already known. And the next step is to think how to sell them. Now you don't need to think much about games as much as about their sales. There's so many series. Trying something new – is always a huge risk.
Now Japanese companies are afraid of risks. In this sense, American companies are more open, and more often take risks. In a case, you want to create something new, game designers will more likely find support in USA, rather than in Japan. I'd like to Japanese companies too, support people who wants to create something new. For example, there is Cannes Film Festival, where his organizers and judges are looking not at selling rates, but at ideas, and they give prizes for ideas too. And I want the same to be in Japan, to support author's ideas and encourage originality.
Another, typical question to Japanese developer: Have you ever took into account interests of western audience when you developed a game, to make them likes game even more. If yes, then how? Answer of Yu Suzuki are not typical:

I came to Sega in 1983, And at 1992-1993 Sega really grew up and expanded more. At that time Sega's business was aimed at 60% on the west. And the biggest market was USA. And because of that, all games like Out Run, in a first place was made for an American market.
How is it affected the development? For example, we thought about car colors, we wanted to make them more common for American people. Similar to what was actually in use in their country. Or for example, color of the sky. Japanese sky not the same as in California. And we made a color of the sky as it was in California. From the other side, people all around the world are understand what car is, and you don't need to adapt it to them. But to make everything else interesting for American people, you need to delve into the culture of Broadway, Hollywood movies and etc... Ideally, of course, you should create a game that would be interesting to people all around the world, but this is not so simple. Let's say, we pick a Ferrari, everyone loves Ferrari, right?
by Radar
Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki Interview with Strana Igr

Eight. The End.
Next question is what I asking to all Japanese people: What happened to your industry? In a past, most of the coolest games was created by it. And now it's not the same.

Yu Suzuki specifies: Yes, 10 years ago Japanese games occupied 80% of the market, but now only 20%. The fact is, that Japanese games were the pioneers in the market. All technologies, ideas, and principles was invented and and distributed all over the world. Japanese like to do everything with their hands and heads, but Americans are build the system, conveyor. So that you could press buttons, push a bar code into reader, and get your product at the output. Americans, absorbed ideas, realized what works and what not. They established a processes, and created the powerful system of the game development. A Factory. Created engines, like "Unity". As result, their system work very effective. Europe are too, thanks to it, very strong in game development.

I Specify: People says, that especially in Japan it's difficult to work on a big projects in a big companies.

Yu Suzuki explains: It's easier to make a decisions in a small companies, but they don't have a money. Big companies have a funding, but their management are afraid to take risks. Optimally, is to work in middle size companies. My dream is – a small company with business-angel, then there is a money and will to make hard decisions.
Moving to personal questions, and suddenly we find out that Yu Suzuki not just doesn't have his own Virtua Fighter Arcade machine, but actually he is not even a gamer.

It's not like I'm playing a lot. For example, I like to play in real billiard. And real car for me more interesting than car in a game.

Also he often plays in Wii with kids. He endlessly loves games, but otherwise than we.

My conception is: To transfer what interesting for me in a real life into a game format. For example, I like to drive a car – and I want to convey this feeling through racing simulator.

I specify: And this probably related to martial arts too?

Yu Suzuki agrees and continues: You know, actually, I personally piloted a real jet aircraft and participated in air battles.

We was surprised... very surprised!

Yu Suzuki remembers again: Once I was in USA, in Florida. At first, a couple of hours they lectured us, explained everything. After, I got into jet aircraft, and flew together with instructor. Aircraft was equipped with a laser gun and smoke bombs. And there was two of us. If you hit the opponent, smoke bomb activates, that means he was shot. And we was flying around about 2 hours shooting each other. For safety we agreed that ground is – 800 feet. If you forced your opponent to descent to that level, that means he died. Or the same if he's speed dropped to virtual zero. And all that they explained us on lectures, plus they taught us different methods of air combat. And terms, like “check six”...

We looking at Yu Suzuki with admiration. Frankly speaking, I didn't know that such kind of entertainment even exists.

Game designer continued: After that I realized, that all games about aircrafts are not interesting. Those that was in arcades. Because in them it is much more difficult to control the aircraft than in real life, really! And I understood that all those air simulators was created by people who doesn't even flew on real aircrafts!

So, we can be sure that if Yu Suzuki decides to make a game about astronauts, he will surely buy a tourist ticket on first suborbital spaceship and will try himself in weightlessness. Too bad we wasn't able to ask how many more favorite artists, a fan of Mucha and Dean have. SI (Strana Igr)
Credits: interview by Konstantin Govorun, Jenya Zakirov, Natalia Odintsova and Jenya Davidyuk as a translator
by Radar
Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue I and II - ArtMoney Cheats

Behold! Cheat tables for Shenmue I and II. Based on cheat list by Andreas and Patch Code Guide by SSJ2 Dark.
You'll need free version of ArtMoney , two tables for Shenmue I and Shenmue II https://db.tt/sKz5Kedp. And NullDC with PAL versions of Shenmue. Just select process with your emulator and change values in table. Now you can travel in time, easily meet mr.Yukawa, exchange passport animals without passport and etc.

About cassette tapes: There's 28 different cassettes and 28 slots for them. In Name value field enter value according to the list bellow, and in Amount value field enter amount of them.
Cassette tapes list:
00: Go Go
01: Feel Tired Song
02: Hip De Hop
03: Like a Feeling
04: Heart Beats
05: Flower Girl
06: Antiquity Tree
07: Dandy Old Man
08: Liquor
09: Linda
10: M.S. Shower
11: Hang On
12: Space Harrier
13: Final Takeoff
14: Destiny
15: Boz Nov
16: Be-Witch
17: MJQ
18: Harbor Bar
19: NaNa
20: Spider
21: Glyfada
22: Y.A.D.A.
23: Yokosuka Blues
24: Strong
25: Harbor Beats
26: Shenmue
27: Sha Hua
About move scrolls: I'm not sure about Shenmue 2 move proficiencies, looks like max value is 200 or at least at this value color changes :D , In Shenmue I max move proficiencie is 100, but unfortunatly you will need to unlock every move scroll by yourself, otherwise changing value won't take any effect.

About passport animals: You can almost legally transfer passport animals in Shenmue I just by "trading" them according to the list bellow, as in real Shenmue passport
Cherries:

+----------------------------------------------+
| NAME OF FIGURE | DESCRIPTION OF FIGURE |
|---------------------|------------------------|
|Big Philip |A big dolphin. |
|Big Robin |A big whale. |
|Chip |A pigeon, has grey head.|
|Little Philip |A small dolphin. |
|Little Robin |A small whale. |
|Pip |A pigeon, has black head|
|Pop |A white pigeon. |
|Rap |A black pigeon. |

Mini Billiards:

|Pochi |A brown cat. |
|Philips |Big Philip and Lil' Phil|
|Pyonta |A white rabbit. |
|Kelly |A brown dog? Or cat? |
|John |A white cat. |
|Robins |Big Robin and Lil' Robin|

Mini Slot Machine:

|Black Kitten (Kuro) |A black kitten. |
|Tiger Kitten (Tora) |A white-grey kitten. |

Mini Juke Box:

|Mary |A white goat. |
P.S: Let me know if you'll find some other addresses or errors in table.
by Radar
Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Secrets and Easter Eggs

Joy takes the money that Ryo owes to Ren Dan? When is that supposed to happen. I usually don't pay him nowadays and I never noticed any money was gone missing and there definately wasn't a scene for that. :shock:

By the way, I advice you to add the following to your list. It's a criminally overlooked and highly entertaining scene:
Here's one I just discovered...

While you're airing out books at Man Mo Temple, go to Godhead Fortunetellers and have your fortune told. He'll tell you that Zhu's footsteps are in the "old city" (Wise Men's Qtr.) and that you should go to Wise Men's Kung Fu. But, instead of going there, waste time during the day and don't gather any new information.
The next morning, when Ryo goes to air out the books, you'll get a cutscene with Fangmei I've never seen before. She'll be sweeping and forget her dust pan, and then bump into Ryo from around the corner. Ryo catches her broom and apologizes, then he askes about Yuanda Zhu. Fangmei says she remembered seeing the name on a book called Wulinshu in the temple library. Pretty cool alternate way to get the info.
Danke! Never know about that! About that notebook entry check this at 13:05 http://youtu.be/L13nxWNzRuE?t=13m2s
It's happens after you beat all 3 fighters
by Radar
Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

https://soundcloud.com/user335806001/e1032a088 "I'm staying at a friend's place tonight so don't worry."
This can be found in phone calls file, maybe it's just unused phrase.. but what if not? :shock:
by Radar
Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Japan + Legalized Casinos + Sega = Shenmue III??

Fans + #SaveShenmue + Yu Suzuki + SEGA + AM2 + Sony + PlayStation + Adam Boyes + Giovanni Corsi + Mark Cerny = Overexcited Shenmue fans who already see Shenmue III in every news or rumors regarding Shenmue on every site?
by Radar
Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Funnest Ways to Play Shenmue

Japanese knows the "funnest" way..
phpBB [video]
by Radar
Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Reicast - Dreamcast on your tablet/phone

Pretty good for beginning, but not good enough for Shenmue
phpBB [video]
by Radar
Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE XMAS SPECIAL DOWNLOAD.....FINALLY!!

It took me about 50 min to finish it. I Get bad ending then loaded last save and get Good ending, altough I don't qute understand the logic of how to get each of them -> Basically, if you don't go on a date with Nozomi, Ryo doesn't want to meet her again and than he won't meet Lan Di, right?
Anyway, as I said before I alrady liked it, but... I don't know yet, I'll write here later :D Happy New Year!
by Radar
Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2013 Shenmue Dojo Awards Ceremony

:roll: Especially since I didn't vote bought merchandise. Thanks everyone, it is so touching... :cry:

and

Raithos wrote: I win the tie because I have more vowels in my name.

2014 Worst Member:
1st Place: Raithos
by Radar
Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fuku-san helping out in the basement?

I have no idea, but I hope these links can help..
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40017&start=0
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38319&start=0
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=286642#p286642
UPDATE : I Just got these 2 scenes with Fuku-san in basement :D , What I did is:
Installed Light bulb in basement, turned on the switch, ran around basement in about 2 in-game hours, then Fuku-san appeared and noticed scratches at floor. Next, I moved the shelf and again like idiot ran around basement in about 2 in-game hours, after that Fuku-san appeared again and noticed that the color of the wall is different...
by Radar
Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue: Photo of Father

What more interesting actually it was discovered a long time ago, but seems like eventually forgotten
check this:
viewtopic.php?t=13243
and also some interesting information:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5179
by Radar
Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

Surge101 wrote: So do we give up now?

NEVER!
by Radar
Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Demul v0.7 alpha released. (Dreamcast Emulator)

This is the error I get when I click 'Run Dreamcast'

http://s9.postimg.org/6ws39rqb3/demul_error.png

It's probably something stupid but I can't find any reference for this error online. Have you guys seen this before?
Extract this https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4zrujkgjrdaqmz/roms.rar?dl=0 in demul root folder, these are BIOS files

The new graphics plugin is not so hot. Framerate is displayed as 30 but it runs chuggy somehow.
And the old DX11 plugin is completely broken, at least for me. No textures! Never seen Shenmue II like this. :lol:

This is very weird :shock: , as Chowchilla said, try to update DirectX and make sure that your card driver doesn't have control over application settings globally. also install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84&displaylang=en) if you haven't yet.. and clear "scache" folder in Demul
by Radar
Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I have listened to Shenmue music non-stop since KS start

phpBB [video]

But seriously..
phpBB [video]
by Radar
Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Concept Art Thread (17/7: YET MORE RYO ~HD~)

I corrected the perspective for Ming Ming
by Radar
Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

R3N wrote:
The glitch is caused because after the Yamagishi uses the move a lot of smoke appears and since layers are limited to 16 not all layers appears. I tested multiple times using demul save state.

I see... make sense than.
by Radar
Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

R3N wrote: Max layers 16 causes this graphical glitch in double blow scene.

Have you cleaned your "scache" folder?
by Radar
Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1 and 2 widescreen hacks Dreamcast

Awesome! just tested it with Shenmue II on Demul. In cheat engine or artmoney add address 2C31186E , change type to 1 byte and decrease value. it works!
by Radar
Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Esppiral wrote: Thanks but what is the equivalent to the codebreaker code? I want to use it on real hardware.

I have no idea, but you may try
02231EF9 43800000 or
02231EF8 43800000
and tell us if it works or not :D
by Radar
Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'll try to summarize and explain the best I can :) how to use it on DEmul and NullDC using Cheat engine.

Cheat Engine Download: http://www.cheatengine.org/downloads.php

Prepare emulators: choose
In DEmul: Config->Video-> aspect ratio: 16:9
In NullDC: Options->PowerVR->aspect ratio->Stretch
Start your game.
In Cheat Engine open process with your emulator
Click "add address manually" and add address according to your game and emulator from list below,
also make sure that type is set to 4 bytes !!
DEmul:
Shenmue (PAL)
2C231EF8

Shenmue (US version)
2C230250

Shenmue Undub
2C231EF8

Shenmue 2 (EU version)
2C31186C

Shenmue 2 (JPN)
2C30D67C

What's Shenmue (JPN)
2C20BB68
NullDC:
Shenmue (PAL)
1C251EF8

Shenmue (US version)
1C250250

Shenmue Undub
1C251EF8

Shenmue 2 (EU version)
1C33186C

Shenmue 2 (JPN)
1C32D67C

What's Shenmue (JPN)
1C22BB68

Initial value should be "43A00000", if it's not - Right click on address and choose "show as hexademical"
Change value from "43A00000" to "43800000" enjoy your game :king: !

Here's a Cheat Engine file that may save you a bit of time when applying this fix with Demul. You can easily toggle between the default Letterbox (4:3) mode and Widescreen (16:9) mode by clicking on the value column of the related version.
This works with: What's Shenmue [JP], Shenmue [EU, US, JP], US Shenmue [JP], and Shenmue II [EU, JP].

http://i.imgur.com/tk9t7DZ.png

Download the latest version of Cheat Engine from this link
Download Demul Cheat Engine file from this link
Check out the latest released build of Demul from this topic

This is a simple way that may save you time when applying this fix with NullDCCheater since Cheat Engine seems to be causing NullDC to crash for some reason on some machines.
You can easily toggle between the default Letterbox (4:3) mode and Widescreen (16:9) mode on the fly.
This works with: Beta Shenmue, What's Shenmue [JP], Shenmue [EU, US, JP], US Shenmue [JP], and Shenmue II [EU, JP].

http://i.imgur.com/GeP4B4j.png

You need to follow those steps to get things to work correctly:

⋅ Download this version of NullDCCheater from this link and extract it.
⋅ Rename NullDC executable to NullDC.exe, and run it.
⋅ Load a Shenmue disc and wait for the game to start.
⋅ Run NullDCCheater and it should recognise your Shenmue game. if the game wasn't automatically recognised then you have to manually choose the right version from the dropbox menu.
⋅ Select Widescreen or Letterbox mode.
⋅ Click the cheater activation button.

Check out the latest released build of NullDC from this topic

Note: You may need to install/update Visual Basic 6 controls if your system doesn't have them, the installation file (VisualBasic6-KB896559-v1-ENU.exe) is included within the extracted folder if needed.

Shenmue 1 US: (Updated 2015-10-25)
02230250 43800000 (Original Code, best for VGA)
or
02230250 438E38E4 for equivalent to 720x480 (DVD resolution)
or
02230250 43700000 for equivalent to 854x480 (Actual 16x9)

Shenmue 2 EU: (Updated 2015-10-25)
0231186C 43800000 (Original Code, best for VGA)
or
0231186C 438E38E4 for equivalent to 720x480 (DVD resolution)
or
0231186C 43700000 for equivalent to 854x480 (Actual 16x9)
by Radar
Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

ok. try to use NullDcCheater, here is instructions
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=47444
use codebreaker adress i.e this one "0231186C 43800000" for Shenmue II
by Radar
Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

as promised, I used 43700000 value
phpBB [video]
by Radar
Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Request: Shenmue I Save w./ every item unlocked [NTSC pr

according to process name you are using an older version of Nulldc (100b1_6) and it shouldn't work at all, get a newer one here http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=46995

Anyway, here save file https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqm6bd5unutul97/vmu_data_port01.bin?dl=0 Disc 1, second slot
by Radar
Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[Demul, NullDC]Shenmue II cutscene bars removing tool [WIP]

Inspired by Ziming 's post about removing bars :)
I present my working attempt to get rid of black bars in cutscenes in Shenmue II

For now, it is a [Work in Progress] test version that currently works only on Disc 1

There is standalone *.exe version and table for cheat engine version.

NullDC(I tested it on 4 different pc's and it worked for me, I do hope it will also work for you and won't crash :) ) :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wapf65zcevxusc/SII_NoBars_NullDC.EXE?dl=0 - standalone version
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wd6ziguijkw2lr1/SII_NoBars_NullDC.CT?dl=0 - Cheat engine table
Demul:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7oo4bvap4srypy/SII_NoBars_Demul.EXE?dl=0 - standalone version
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmssfgtk89x4uiu/SII_NoBars_Demul.CT?dl=0 - Cheat engine table

With standalone version just run emulator and SII_NoBars(_Demul or NullDC).exe file. and it will automatically find and attach itself to emulator process. IMPORTANT: for NullDC rename emulator's *.exe file to nullDC.exe
Another way requires Cheat Engine installed. open SII_Nobars(Demul or NullDC).CT,
open emulator process,press ctrl+alt+l then press Execute script... use whatever method you like.
Also as a BONUS you can Press 3 to switch between Widescreen/normal modes.

It's a wip version BUT! Since I don't have time to play through the whole game, I need people who would search for further addresses.
For example: one person would work on Disc 2, another on Disc 2 side quests, another on Disc 3, and another on Disc 4.
Let me know if you are interested . I'll make video tutorial how to do it the way I know how I do it :)
UPD: Video tutorial for how to find and add codes added
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9USxk0BUVQ
by Radar
Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Demul, NullDC]Shenmue II cutscene bars removing tool [W

Can anyone please test these codes with codebreaker on real console?
0D432C20 4E524157
00432C04 00000000
0D45C500 4E524157
0045C4E4 00000000
0D448160 4E524157
00448144 00000000

They should remove bars in Shenhua intro boat intro and in beggining.
If they works, then I've got a good news for you \:D/
by Radar
Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic