Search found 4 matches

Return

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

Thanks, CodingGenesis.

I did have a look for a new members section, but didn't see one. I think my story is similar to a late of you - in my late twenties, played Shenmue when it first came out and it had a powerful effect on me. I'm not even that much of a gamer, but I loved the almost mythic heroes journey that Ryo undertook. The archetypes and everything resonated powerfully with me. I remember playing it around Christmas time, and I felt like I knew Doubuita and Yokosuka intimately. There was - and still is - a subtle magic to the game. I love the fact that at it's core, Shenmue is profoundly moral, and that Ryo (despite his baffling lack of awareness/understanding of the opposite sex) is a good role model. If I have kids - and most probably will - I want them to play Shenmue. I'll never forget that sense of adventure as the boat set off to China; I left my house on a crisp, cold February afternoon and it felt as though the world was overflowing with possibility, and that everything had been re-enchanted. Other people (a lot of my friends have played and loved the game) have similar feelings.

I was a little disappointed with the overtly mystical direction that Shenmue 2 seemed to be heading (magic swords and whatnot) but the series is still my favourite of all time. I desperately want a part 3, but as I mentioned in another thread, I think for that to happen we first need 1 & 2 released on HD.

Anyway, that's it pretty much. As I said, I've been lurking for ages (since 2004? It feels like it anyway, but I don't know if the site has even been here since then). It's good to be part of the forum - you are all extremely dedicated!

To keep this thread on track (well, sort of), I remember seeing a video of a 360 gamer magazine, with Shenmue 1 & 2 HD listed in the upcoming games section. Did anyone ever contact that magazine to enquire about that?
by js3
Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD - realistically, what would actually...

Well fuck trying to get a Kickstarter for Shenmue III. I think the most logical step would be to get a Kickstarter for Shenmue I and II HD. It would make more sense to show it to a new generation of gamers ans get some profit one a game that would not cost as much as Shenmue III to make

You are absolutely right , and this is what I've been getting frustrated about. Our 'kickstarter/crowdfunding energies' have been focused in the wrong direction. Our priority should be on getting 1 & 2 to next gen, to start the ball rolling. And let's imagine that at some point in the future, Shenmue 3 has been made. Can any of us honestly imagine that scenario will happen without 1 & 2 not available for next gen?

From a financial point of view, why would anyone take the risk on producing (an expensive) video game that will probably only appeal to the dreamcast faithful and a handful of Xbox users (who didn't even get to play the first game?)

The amount of people I've told about Shenmue, only for them to say "that game sounds amazing - how can I play it?" and for me to say "err... well, first of all you need a dreamcast...." they turn off immediately. If it was available for them to buy on PSN, Wii U, Xbox, I'm sure they'd have all bought a copy by now.

On a practical level, Shenmue HD remakes will be far cheaper (and far more likely) at this point in time than an entire new game from scratch. On an even more practical level, my dreamcast is getting old. It won't be around forever. I need to have 1 & 2 on a new system before it gives up entirely.
by js3
Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What TV series are you watching?

Big fan of Game Of Thrones. Haven't seen series 3 of Walking Dead. Love any Attenborough documentaries.

S1 & 2 of Black Mirror were enjoyable. It's a UK series about the darker side of modernity and technology. Only 3 episodes in each series, but each is stand-alone and high concept... very dark, blackly humorous and thought-provoking. The first episode featured a kidnapper who had taken a member of the royal family hostage, and would only release her if the Prime Minister had sex with a pig (yes, you read that right) on live television.

Only recently started watching Breaking Bad, but I'm already half into season 3. It's the best TV series I've probably ever seen... the acting is extraordinary, the plots, style, writing, character development, moral questioning, suspense... everything is top-notch. A masterpiece.

It started off brilliantly and gets better and better. The metacritic ratings for Season 5 (99%) speak for themselves.

Best TV decision I've ever made was deciding to order the first series with a lovefilm free pass \:D/
by js3
Sun May 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu being asked the wrong question..

At any kind of public event, Yu Suzuki is overwhelmed with Shenmue 3 questions. Understandably it gets tiresome.

IMO, these are the wrong questions - the real questions he needs to be asked, are whether or not Shenmue 1 & 2 are ever coming to the current gen consoles (specifically whether or not he has ever heard anything about this).

Shenmue 3 will never be made if 1 & 2 aren't available to the public, so getting these done is a must. To my knowledge, he has never been asked about this .... or has he?

Might be something to consider next time there is a press conference or whatever.
by js3
Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic