Search found 14 matches

Return

Re: Shenmue NeoGaf Thread #SaveShenmue

I have a neogaf account, please let me know how I can help.

Awesome. Do you have the rights to make a new topic?

Before we post the thread, I think we should all chip in some ideas on what to include. We should also make a dummy post here, so that we can make sure that everything is included before it goes live on gaf.

I think we should put an emphasis on the thunderclap and the twitter handles, Giocorsi, Sega, playstation. ( #saveshenmue #buildingthelist)

Any other ideas?

@Peter, thanks for trying man. Gaf have some real stupid rules.

@AXM, some people just can't understand the greatness of Shenmue. Ironically, most of the ppl that dislike it are set on fighting random npcs every 5 seconds, or having something completely over the top happen at every corner. Shenmue is not that type of game.

its a shame that some people cant see, or experience the magic of Shenmue.

im sure if Shenmue 3 came out and Ryo has a gun, war outfit, and could beat up any random person, the game would sell like crazy. :)

Sad times indeed.
by ShenSun
Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Celebrity Endorsements

This idea sounds far-fetched but I thought it might be worth a try. Why not include some celebrities with a large audience in the Shenmue campaign? These days many celebrities/athletes interact with their fans via social networking.

For example, what if Shenmue received the "Colbert Bump"? Colbert has given great attention to many random things before and there is no doubt in my mind he would do something on Shenmue if we brought it to his attention. We could ask through Twitter/Facebook or even if somebody in NYC goes to a taping of the show and talks about Shenmue during the Q and A, he would mention it on the show.

I know this is a long-shot but I'm just trying to think of ideas to help the campaign and this is what comes to mind. If we got at least one celebrity to join the campaign that would help our cause by significantly increasing the campaign's social outreach.

I think we should focus on one celebrity at a time. My suggestion is Colbert. I'd say most of the video game industry is already aware of us so lets try to explore some other horizons. Imagine Justin Bieber joining the campaign :lol:
by MartyMcFly
Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Could Niao Sun be Ryo's Mother (highly unlikely)

Hello all,

I've lurked the dojo since about 2003 or so and this is my first time joining and posting ever, mainly because I have been on an INSANE Shenmue kick lately, especially with how often it's been in the news the last couple of years. I apologize in advance if I'm breaking some type of forum rules or anything with this post/hair brained theory of mine, it's just something that has been on my mind since I have been playing the games a lot as of late and have noticed a lot more since the last time I played.

Please bear with me with this idea of mine, especially since there is basically no evidence backing it up but I'm curious to see the opinions of others regarding all of this.

To begin I find it INCREDIBLY peculiar that we have never seen ANYTHING regarding Ryo's mother, it is only barely mentioned in passing that she died when Ryo was about 3 years old due to some type of illness, we don't even know her name. The closest thing we have to some type of evidence that she existed is the comb that is found in the basement of the Hazuki Dojo (Ryo remarks "It's beautiful, could it have belonged to my mother") but no other mention of her than that. There aren't even any pictures of her or anything (mind you there is only one picture of Iwao in the entire game but we don't need proof that Iwao exists). In short Ryo's mother is essentially a ghost, we have no evidence that she ever existed.

With all of the secrets that Iwao brought back with him from China (The Mirrors, the death of Sun Ming Zhao, constructing the basement to keep the Phoenix Mirror safe etc.) its entirely possible that Iwao could have been hiding things from Ryo regarding his mother as well. Let's take a look into Iwao's past for a moment, at least what we know about his own journey to China. Iwao was 46 at the time of his death by the hands of Lan Di. When we encounter Kai in Shenmue 2 (the old "blind" man) he mentions that Iwao came to China 20 years ago, which would make Iwao 26 at the time of his journey. Who's to say he didn't encounter a woman at some point during his training (perhaps even a friend of Sun Ming Zhao) and it turns out to be Niao Sun. They all train and hang out for a while, Niao and Iwao fall for each other, Zhao does something with the mirrors and Iwao is forced to stop him, unfortunately killing him in the process, Iwao heads home to Japan taking the mirrors with him and Niao Sun comes with him to Japan.

Now, Ryo is born two years after Iwao's journey to China when he is 28 years of age. As stated Ryo's mother died when he was 3 years of age making Iwao 31 years old at the time of her death (sorry if me being too specific with ages is annoying, mainly just trying to get everything I'm thinking onto paper). But who's to say it's not much deeper than that.

Consider this option with an open mind (again just ideas and theories). Niao and Iwao have a happy few years, putting their past in China aside and raise baby Ryo all happily and whatnot. Perhaps Niao unites the mirrors one day out of curiosity of what Zhao experienced and Iwao is forced to confront someone he cares for once more (Note: I'm not trying to suggest any mirror theories or anything like that, there are more than enough of them and all are pretty interesting ideas IMO, just noting that the mirrors are very important). After Niao is stopped Iwao demands she leaves Japan at once for endangering their son, perhaps she always worked for the Chi You Men and had to earn Iwao's trust to obtain the mirrors, perhaps she was even turned evil after interacting with the mirrors (this is where things fall apart a bit as its difficult to suggest why things would fall apart/into place like this, so if I sound retarded I apologize). In an effort to protect both Ryo and the mirrors Iwao has the basement hidden away, storing the mirror and various other things regarding his past, gets rid of anything involving Niao (pictures, clothing, possessions etc) yet keeps her comb as a reminder of the woman he loved, tells Ryo his mother has died (let's keep in mind Ryo is only 3 years old at this time so he probably wouldn't know better, perhaps Iwao just had a fake gravesite, who knows (too elaborate for a lie I know)). Iwao hires Ine-san at this time as a live-in housekeeper/motherly figure to Ryo (It's stated that Ine-san has been the Hazuki housekeeper since Ryo was 3 years of age, or right after his mother died) so Ine-san would not know anything about Ryo's mother save for Iwao telling her she died of illness. Fuku-san moves into the Hazuki house when he is 16 years old making Ryo 8 at the time. Again, yet another person that would know nothing about Ryo's mother save for whatever Iwao or Ryo told him. This all leaves Iwao as the only person who knows that Ryo's mother is alive and well, perhaps even knowing she is one of the four leaders of the Chi You Men and they will be coming for the mirrors someday.

Now at this point you're probably bored of reading this nonsense but I still have a bit more to go, so thank you to anyone still reading I suppose XD.

Now you're probably thinking Niao Sun looks FAR too young to have an 18 year old son, she looks like she would be around the same age as Xiuying, Zi Ming and Lan Di. Either mid to late twenties and no older than early thirties and I couldn't agree more. There is always the possibility she could have been in her early twenties when she gave birth to Ryo or she could always just look damn good for her age, I mean Iwao certainly didn't look bad for pushing 50 so who knows. But something that is always pointed out regarding Niao Sun's traits is that she is considered VERY beautiful and alluring as stated in her character trailer from the pre dreamcast launch. The only real memory Ryo has stated he has of his mother is that he remembers she was very beautiful as he told Shenhua when they were chatting in the cave in Shenmue 2. Why am I bringing up Niao Sun's beauty you ask? Well I believe IF she were Ryo's mother and was possibly around the same age as Iwao at the time of his death give or take a few years it could POSSIBLY have something to do with the Elixir of Eternal Youth.

Now as most of us recall Ryo finds a small vial in the Hazuki basement known as the Elixir of Eternal Youth, remarking he remembers his father telling him about how it was used by martial arts experts in China, though for what reason has yet to be revealed. Now I can't recall if this is a fact that has been stated or just a theory so bear with me, but in the default file for Shenmue 2 one of the items Ryo has with him is the white leaf. Now it has been either stated or theorized (can't recall which) that this white leaf has had the Elixir of Eternal Youth used on it and that is the reason why it has not crumbled and broken apart after 20 years (I believe it was said that Iwao brought the leaf back with him from China so that fits into our timeline). Let's be honest, we've all seen the Shenmue Online and Project Berkley trailers, we know Shenmue WILL get mystical in some way, so saying someone who is in their 40's or so having a very youthful appearance thanks to some type of Elixir isn't totally outside of the realm of possibilities. Perhaps Ryo would encounter someone who recognizes the leaf has had the Elixir used on it (perhaps the maker of it) and remarks on how one of the four leaders of the Chi You Men is renowned for her beauty and believes it is thanks to this Elixir, leading Ryo to his first run in with one of the leaders of the Chi You Men and perhaps his mother.

This isn't a very solid theory by any means and it only has so much flexibility due to the fact that we know next to nothing about Niao Sun or the remaining remembers of the Chi You Men save for Lan Di whom we still know little about to this day. It's entirely possible that she, like Lan Di and Zi Ming had people she loved that were murdered and sought out the Chi You Men in order to take revenge on those that killed the people she loved, just like Lan Di and Zi Ming had done before her. Hell she could just be some psychotic deranged lunatic that only serves as an obstacle in Ryo's path (though I hope they don't go down that route with her character by any means being the enigma that she is).

I dunno guys, what are your opinions on this? Am I just putting nonsense together and trying to see things that aren't there? Interesting idea perhaps? Or do I just sound like I'm blowing fan fiction out of my ass :p?

Let's discuss :-k
by KX-5
Sat May 03, 2014 5:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Underground or Underappreciated Artists

It's really hard to sell a band with a song that has 3 million views as "underappreciated or underground" but... I never hear anyone talking about supergrass and they kick ass. So here we are.

phpBB [video]
by Thief
Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What if Shenmue games had continued to be made?

We would surely have known the joys of playing a Shenmue "water level." Water levels are notoriously hard levels to play.

But in all seriousness I think the series would be well finished by now. And depending on how much success we're hypothetically giving the series it could have altered the future of video games more than just QTEs. I still think Shenmue was cutting edge in the way Yu created a world and allowed the player to explore it. The ability to go up to any door and at least knock or open any cabinet was fascinating to me. It added nothing to the story but it really enhanced the immersion in the world. Today's video game culture has to have the protagonist with a gun, super powers or a fast car. I thought following leads and finding clues in Shenmue was exhilarating. No super powers required.

Another question that begs asking is: When Ryo's journey was finished and his father's death had been avenged, would Sega/Yu have ended the Shenmue series or would they come up with some new adventure for Ryo to go on? It seems like now days video game/movie/book/TV show producers can't let a series end. They either make up new stories or do prequels or whatever it takes to get another paycheck. Let's just take our hypothetical to the extreme...say Shenmue became wildly popular and its popularity rivaled Final Fantasy, GTA or Uncharted. Could Sega just let the story end? Would Wong have taken Ryo's mantel and go on some grand adventure? Would Ryo go to Canada to find Nozomi only to discover she's been taken by whoever takes people in Canada? Or would we play from a villain's perspective and see Chai live out his dream of playing Gollum in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings?
by elfshadowreaper
Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What if Shenmue games had continued to be made?

We certainly would have alot more merchandise to collect. We'd have a fanbase that at this point would be looking to Yu Suzuki for what next big follow up IP he's working on. We'd all certainly have alot more respect in the gaming community. We wouldnt have ignorant people out there who think the game is about sailors and cats.
by Axm
Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 2 Omake Folders

Hi Folks
Some of you may remember that in Shenmue 2 Dreamcast Version there were some Extras "Omake" Folders on the GD Rom's with their own internal Homepages.

Now I made it Fit for Internet use and Load them up so that everyone can explore it after all that Years.

http://www.hanging-waters.com/special/Shenmue2Omake/omake2.html

..have Fun.

If there are Problems with the Mouse over Pictures in Omake 1 or the Videos in Omake 4 Change the Settings in your Browser or use an other Browser, Problems may occur in Internet Explorer.. possibly.
by Qix
Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Feminism

Feminism is the desire to have equal rights in women. Feminists got laws passed that allowed women to vote, join the military, and not get discriminated in the work place. Feminism was needed to change stuff like this:

http://www.fanboy.com/archive-images/sexist-disney-rejection02.jpg

Today, women legally have the same rights as men. I do not think feminism is needed at all anymore. Almost all feminists today are not feminists at all, they just want a matriarchal society that ignores the rights of men. They complain about women not being in prestigious male dominated professions, such as engineering, but say women shouldn't work in the "degrading" male dominated professions such as garbage collectors and janitors. Leave those shitty jobs to the men. They want to be able to sleep with whoever they want, but want to be able to go to court and punish a man if she rejects having sex with him at any point (seriously how is this an actual thing?). They want to be able to get a man to impregnate them and keep him as an ATM, while leeching more money off the government. These modern feminists are women who refuse to grow up and accept the fact that bad things happen to them.

I do agree that there are shitty people who treat women differently because they are women. However, legally there is no need for feminists. There are also shitty people who treat black people different just because of their skin color, but legally racism is not a problem. I know this first hand because I am black and been to some extremely racist parts of the US. Did I go online and complain that some idiots wanted to hurt my feelings and tried to get laws passed to prevent people from trying to hurt my feelings? No, I just dismissed them as idiots and went along with my day. If I felt physically threatened, I would just maybe, you know, avoid racist fucks? I have been catcalled by women in the past as well and I do agree that it is extremely awkward, perhaps a bit degrading but jesus christ, just deal with it. At the end of the day, these things do not affect you (well, unless it is persistent, but at that point it falls into harassment which again, you can fix with the help of the cops, be sure to collect evidence) Grow a thicker skin, women. You have equal rights now, and are able to experience the world in its full, shitty glory. Stop acting like children and put on your big girl pants. If someone physically harms you, or rejects you for a job because of your sex, then take that to court.
by Mr. Frozen
Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #14 - Yu Suzuki on Twitch this Friday

Suzuki is an amazing game developer, but he does not seem to be particularly business-minded.

You only have to read some of the stories about Shenmue to realize Yu shouldn't handle your bank account. The only reason we're getting Shenmue III is because Sony have started looking at getting some of the most requested titles on their systems. YSNet has been a company for 7 years now and all they have to show for it is Shenmue City which was like a fart in the wind. Every interview his done in the last few years he has mentioned how he is looking for investors for projects and then 2 years later he said he was still looking. One interview said his office was just an apartment he sat in and wrote game ideas down in.

I think Yu is a great idea man but his someone like George Lucas or Stan Lee who needs people around him to steer him in the right direction to make it great. I just hope that now he hasn't got anyone to answer to Shenmue III doesn't turn out like the Phantom Menace.
by Riku Rose
Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Suicide

Anyways, just this week my grandmother passed away and to be honest, we have all been doing ok. Not too bad, she was 90! So can't be too sad! But during all this I messaged the same friend asking why he hadn't messaged me at all, even to offer any sort of sympathies or respect. He completely lost it with me, saying I was never his best friend, and to get fucked.

Fuck that guy.
by Kenny
Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Depression isn't rational, it doesn't care how much you have going for you in reality or how much better off you are than others, if it hits someone none of that matters. It's a nasty thing. I've not even had "proper" depression but I do know that much.
Also, if you're depressed of even "kind of" depressed like I've experienced, people saying "get over it", "just snap out of it", "get a hold of yourself" etc.....WORST, most pointless and most fucking annoying things anybody can say. It's like, depression isn't that much fun, so if it was so easy to "snap out of it", we'd have done so already, we're not (all...) doing this for attention.
by St. Elmo's Fire
Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Stay away from the smiths? Hogwash!

phpBB [video]
by Rakim
Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Feminism

Suppose it depends on how fat the cretin is. And, obviously, if she's been fucked about as many times as Susan Boyle. Slag with a skinny fetus ain't gonna have a hard time at all.
by MiTT3NZ
Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kickstarter Comes to a Close, Reaches $6.3m in Crowdfunding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK7lg_Ip6Og

http://i.imgur.com/cmhn5Zv.png

On June 16th 2015, Sony's E3 conference was overwhelmed by the announcement of a colossal fan favorite.

A Kickstarter was launched on stage (by none other than ex-Sega developer Yu Suzuki) to determine just how far fan interest would stretch.
Shenmue 3 amassed it's entire funding goal of $2,000,000 in an incredible 9 hours, setting a new world record.

Over the course of the following month, community events (such as #30onthe3rd, #TheFinalPush & QTE Event) saw the Kickstarter roar upwards of $4,000,000. In the final days, hours and minutes, fans pulled out all the stops and smashed through a further six stretch goals.

As a community, we went above and beyond to see a series we hold so dear become the Number One record holder for most funded video game in Kickstarter history, gaining an astounding $6,333,295 in crowd funding and over 69,000 in backers.

Various journalists and gaming websites tried to have many believe that Shenmue was lost forever, a franchise the world was never going to see resurrected, something which was better left forgotten.
But we - the fans - the ones who truly mattered, never gave up hope.

Over the past month, culminating in the last 48 hours - with a combined passion for one dedicated goal - we have shown the world how much this series is valued. Despite how gloomy the future had looked many times over the past 14 years, hope was never lost and that is what ultimately counts today.

As Shenmue fans, we never backed down; our passion, persistence and commitment gave us the continuation we have being craving.

Today we saved our franchise.

To everyone who pledged and made history - thank you.

Links & Hashtags: #SaveShenmue #Shenmue3
Shenmue 3 Kickstarter | News Archive
by Sonoshee
Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic