Search found 87 matches

Return

Re: Hybrid (5th Cell FPS)

Even used his other account.

Coby wrote:looks boring

Surprised he didn't use his third one. TumTum or something.
by Riku Rose
Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Real Life Walter White

Yo, bitch!
by Sailors?
Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Goodbye everyone

I would have posted earlier but I've only just got back from Barcelona and felt the situation warranted a bit more of a detailed post than a few sentences I construct with my iPhone while taking a shit. I'm gonna take this opportunity to iron out a few misnomers regarding a few things before I get the inevitable bans, my original account is still banned so I guess I'm one of the select few!

Ryudo:

There were a number of occasions when I would be in the chat room with him and Oppy and he would encourage me to troll certain members of the forum that he didn't like. I remember Master Kyodai being one in particular. So his whole stance on me being a troll is entirely hypocritical, as he only took action against me being a cunt to anyone when he was the recipient of a scathing post.

I'm not going to lie and say that I didn't type any of that vitriol in my post that had me banned. I did, and I know it was a tad out of order. I didn't say he was lazy or that he should get a job, I was suggesting that if he really didn't have much time left before he shuffled off this mortal coil then he may want to consider doing something a bit more worthwhile with the limited time he had remaining, rather than spend it playing Xenogears and making videos about unboxing limited edition JRPGs. I know I could have worded it a bit better but he did delete a paragraph from underneath the remaining post which went along the lines of:

"Adam, I know I'm being harsh mate but we only want what is best for you. If you don't have much time left on this earth then surely it would be better spent going out and actually doing stuff rather than wasting it on forums or playing games?"

Now don't take that as exact verbatim, but it was essentially what I was getting at. Most people see me as being puerile, vulgar and immature, but I'm only fucking about. However some of my posts from years gone by which I have occasionally read-over again due to a necro-bump make me cringe . From my last period under my original handle (this one is an alternate account) - Jan to Oct 2011 - I didn't post that much offensive stuff in comparison to previous periods. Ryudo understood this until he took personal offence to something that I posted which I don't think was particularly ban-worthy. He was perfectly ok to see others be on the receiving end but when the shoe is on the other foot then he does not hesitate to take swift action.

I don't hate the guy, but he does have issues and a habit of lying about situations to cover his tracks. I don't think anyone is fooled about Coby not being Ryudo, but hey, why doesn't a mod do an IP trace and see if it matches what Ryudo was posting from?

Sonniku:

We never got on because you got really pissy over me modifying your Sonic sig that you had at the time to show him sucking a cock with cum dribbling off his chin. Immature? Yes, but it was in Junk and I didn't think you would get into such a strop about it. Ever since then we never saw eye-to-eye. I'm happy to call bygones as the whole thing is six-to-one and half-a-dozen to the other. It was 8 years ago FFS!

Peter (re what you posted in another topic):

I'm sad that you think I'm the kinda guy that would get you into trouble tbh mate. My internet persona does not truly reflect who I am IRL. Yes I do like to take the piss, also unafraid to speak my mind and am steadfast in my beliefs, but I can also take on board critique and recognise when I am wrong. I'm a lover, not a fighter, baby.
by QWERTY
Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue I or II (v. 2012)

Lucky for us that because each game is so stellar, it doesn't really mean one is better than the other. It just comes down to what fits our mood more. It's like; hm, should I take the Porsche or the Lambo out for a spin today?
by Mitsuzuki
Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I win I lose I win you win. I'm not Dave Chappelle

Good luck with whatever illness you have. But yeah, your actions in your time as Dojo commander will never be forgotten. Worst moderator ever.

Does is anger you to see that I'm unbanned, and there's nothing you can do about it? :lol:
by Martin
Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I win I lose I win you win. I'm not Dave Chappelle

It's posting on a message board. Where, where does the stress come in? Stop surrounding yourself with drama.
by mrandyk
Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re:

Bluecast wrote:I boycott the whole idea of saying "I'm leaving" I'm back"

Just freaking go and shut up and when ready come back and post as normal.

Otherwise it's lame. IMO

Fucking lol
by QWERTY
Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AVATARS AND SIGS

No offense guys but all of this is getting slightly pathetic. I guess things haven't really cooled down that much... As I said in another topic. It's like some bitterness hanging around which wasn't there before.

Everything/everyone has cooled down except for one person. The drama and rows that plagued these boards for so long had ceased, except for one person (who ironically said that they left because of all the drama. Coincidence?? I think not!). Either way, this place as a community will survive, and we will do our utmost to make sure that's so. The community is bigger than 1 Shenmue fan, or 1 person. So if this person has no place within the community, then we will ensure that they are not welcome here to take part.

One last thing, well done to Henry for handling this tonight. The word "Thanks" doesn't get used often enough on these boards, except outside of a button. But he handled tonight extremely well, with the skills he was selected to be a moderator. Hats off dude =D>
by Peter
Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mods deleting harmless topics

You like to take something blow it out of proportion then make people believe it.

Easily the most ironic/lol post in a looong time.

Thanks for saying what I already said,yeah Coby was a test account that I later just fucked around with. But this BS about my site are fake accounts is BS.

Yep, 14 different posts from 4 different IP addresses at one time, including posts made in reply to your own "Goodbye" topic. :no:
by Peter
Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tokyo Game Show 2012

Henry Spencer wrote: Like Riku, I hope there's new games we know nothing about.

Because you started your sentence with "like" I couldn't help but read that as if a teenage girl was saying it.
by Thief
Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Deletion/Moving of the Junk forum

I know you locked this Peter, but apparently the topic wasn't done as I received a PM. Rather deal with it here out in the open.

Stop Yama, just stop. I dont want it to be like this, also my post did express graditude in the fact that I mentioned the old members coming back, and I know the staff had alot to do with that, I have been saying that has been good. Everything else I disagree with very much, too much has changed. I am going to formally ask you right here and now to put back the sub forums in General Gaming, and to put back the Junk forum. Its just too much to wade through in General Gaming, and something really seems missing from these forums with the junk forum gone. What were you thinking? I am a veteran member here, and you should listen to me, or atleast consider my advice. You are taking this places into dark waters, and I warning you now. There was nothing wrong with the way things were before I dont understand why everyone has been on this gung ho lets change everything trip, I dont see the current members that have come back for the time being, actually staying at this rate, in fact they all came back before anything was really changed, meaning they were fine with the way it was before. I know I can be the funny guy that loves to goof off but on the opposite side of that I can be very serious as well and I am coming to you being very serious right now. Think about it dude, good luck.

I respect that you care for the place, I won't take that away from you.

I am going to formally ask you right here and now to put back the sub forums in General Gaming

Yes, we moved all of the forums only to move them back, that's wise. Do you really expect us now to weed through and manually move thousands of topics into sub forums because that's how you want it? Not the community, but you. Seriously? Mind you, most of this was done to reduce the amount of tables on the back end and help speed up the forums and keep them from suffering from down time. See, if you would listen to me once in a while, you'd know this. It was for a good cause. Yet I'm supposed to consider your points when you don't even take mine and the communities for that matter into consideration.

I am a veteran member here, and you should listen to me

So is everyone else that spoke on the matter . Suddenly you are the community? Not a part of it? If the community spoke and opposed it as a whole, that would be that, they obviously didn't. The translation of this message was listen to you, not the community. I won't. I'll listen to everybody as I always have and unless you missed it, everybody spoke. I will always consider what you have to say, but in the end will choose what the majority wants and what is best for this community. When you let certain people have too much say and too much power, well... you know what happens, look back a few weeks.

By the way, so am I. I'll never twist it and say I've been as active as you've been over the years, but I've posted and lurked since 2003, I've seen the different eras first hand. I've seen your posts about me early on, checking the 'new member list' when I was added admin, "must be a new janitor", etc. Awesome stuff. Again, I've been here just as long as you have and unless you missed it, put a ton of effort forth since taking over.

I dont see the current members that have come back for the time being, actually staying at this rate, in fact they all came back before anything was really changed, meaning they were fine with the way it was before.

You are taking this places into dark waters, and I warning you now.

:rotflmao:

The entire reason they are here is because of the changes, I should screen cap my inbox. You have no clue how many people thanked me for bringing the forums out of the gutter, you can't be serious.

Moral of this story: Hiring new and fair management that the community respects, combining forums to help aid back end speed and lessen confusion and clutter = bad. I've wasted enough of my time. ](*,)

It's really nothing personal, I have zero beef with you on any real level. I'll still consider your thoughts on subjects that are being presented and think you can be a cool guy. But, I'm not going to sit here talk about what's already done and has been widely accepted through out the entire community.

P.S.: It's fun to play the blame game, but enough talking to me. The entire community was cool with the changes, the entire staff helped aid them. You're not talking to just me if you have an issue with this anymore, address everyone that it pertains to. Enjoy.
by Yama
Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

Peter wrote: Like to think of it more as cleaning up a lot of mess left by the last administration happy

You're the Obama to his Bush in other words?
by Crimson Ryan
Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Post a PM

Isn't this just a troll topic?

Get fucked.
Reported as is the topic. This is pure trolling & flaming

*wa wa wa, I'm telling Yama on you*

It's not though is it you spaz? I didn't say post a confidential PM, I said just post a PM. If you'll have noticed, both mine and Spokane's are incredibly old so aren't anything to fret about. It's only a problem if others make it a problem. Like you.
by QWERTY
Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anti-jokes

Your mom gave me cancer.
:roll:

Ooh poopy poopy farty dildo sex!

:roll:
Spamming flaming trolling. Yep you have not grown up at all. Older than many of us yet still act 15 years younger.

I'm not doing any of the above you 'tard. You have no right to say I haven't grown up when you wear Sonic the Hedgehog t-shirts.
by QWERTY
Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anti-jokes

Why does Bluecast continue to make the Dojo unfun?

Because he just wants this place to die and everyone to join his forums.
by Spokane
Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Guest

Jump to topic

Re: Things That Made You Laugh Today

Who Really Cares? wrote:

:lol: Webcam of Blue being demoted?
by KiBa
Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So whatever happened to...

I have no doubts that Shenmue HD DLC will be released. I just feel it will be the last to be released for 2 reasons:

1. "Save the best til last". It really is the most talked about game of the Dreamcasts tenure. Wether you loved it or hated, it it still got people talking. Someone severely hating Shenmue and thinking its boring is as valuable to me in terms of its legacy because its as much an emotion given towards it, so its re-release will be the most talked about game from the Dreamcasts list of games. Also, its easily the biggest game, in terms of size, following, and legacy so its a good game to possibly be the last Dreamcast title to be released, at least for a sustained period of time.

2. The bigger and more logical reason of the two for me, is that it surely will take a long time to upscale this entire game, both visually and audibly. All of the items, locations, characters...... i mean if you forget how huge Shenmue is, just spend your first day in the Hazuki household and try to lift every possible item, explore every possible room and also open every cupboard. I did it last night, and i didnt get to visit Fukuhara in the dojo until 9.45pm. This game is huge. Fact. Having to sit and go through its entirety will be no easy feat, and also not one that can be achieved overnight.
The audio of Shenmue (not VA work) is what doesnt age as well as the rest of the game. I have been playing Shenmue again with a VGA box and LCD TV and it looks as close to HD as you could get, but you can tell the quality of the audio isnt up there, especially with gaming headphones on. Again,this is something that will take some time. Add to that, if they are also going to include both native VA with subtitles, as so many fans have requested. Again more time.
Then there is also additional features that Sega would surely want to incorporate into the game. First thing that comes to mind is the difference of todays controllers compared to the Dreamcast controller, namely a second analogue stick. Obviously for Shenmue, this would be used as a camera stick, and some sort of freedom camera development would have to be organised. If this is to be a double planned release, then not only would i say it would take double the time to do so, but id say it would take more than double the time for it all to be finished.

I do believe that Shenmue has been in development for DLC. I also feel that Ben Harborne was more or less announcing this with his interviews earlier in the year. I have watched the two interviews a load of times, and in the first, he practically couldnt wait to say Shenmue. In the second interview, he made a slight joke about it with his facial features. I still maintain its coming. Just gotta be patient.
by Peter
Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

@ Axm Shut up you just proved you know nothing about me or the situation. We moved on but you decided to drag it back out. FFS. I did earn it and know more about 50-60 hour work weeks than you would ever know. Try doing ti while dying and in more pain than humanly imaginable every day for years.
I didnt drag anything out. Cause guess what, I was at work and didnt have time to make a response while everyone else was. Dont give me any shit like you know my work experience. I just got done working my 8th consecutive day in a row and it was a 10 hour shift. I finally have a day off tomorrow and I still wont have time for anything else cause I have to run around town doing errands now cause ive been at work for so long. I work my ass off. You obviously dont anymore with your up to the minute all day posting . You shouldnt be feeling like you deserve those checks asshole. When you worked your time and payed your taxes you did your part and got a tax return, broke even or payed the taxes you didnt when you got your checks. So dont try and play it off as something you're being owed. Thats the biggest BS excuse ever. Accept your damn checks like a man and shut the hell up about it. You wanna get personal? Fine. Ive been working no less then 30 hours a week since I was in high school with no gaps in employment all while going to school, sometimes working a second job. When I was in Japan I worked my ass off to afford getting married TWICE once in Japan and once in the U.S. I just payed all that off, my two cars, my credit cards and am continuing to work my ass off to afford going back to Japan to buy a house and start a family properly. So forgive me if I feel I have to right to tell you to shut up on bragging about your disability checks.
I never made this out to be about the checks themselves and your right to have them, only your attitude publicly about your fucking entitled arrogant attitude. I gave you advise about buying a TV, advise about getting tablet, advise about getting PS Vita games. This entire time I not ONCE gave you shit about buying those. I cant control how much money you get, whats in your bank account and how you spend it. So why waste my breath on that. I can however hold my right to tell you to shut the fuck up.

And I really am done with this at this point. Cause theirs a 0% chance you will understand me at this point. Ive unfortunately known you for too long and you will either play it off or ignore my point. This is the fucking reason I left this place because of you twice already. Go ahead and tell me to leave again as you will no doubt will. I wont this time. I will however take a break because I cant stand your face.
by Axm
Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They are neither jealous nor ignorant.
by Thief
Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No. I used it for rent of this place. I went to a temp housing for a month while I was on the waiting list for this place. When I got here in December I used it toward rent. I closed my bank account before I moved however so the money went into my moms account. I only recently opened up a a new bank account.

Ok Coby, I believe you.
by QWERTY
Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dobuita after Midnight

Also it happens automatically at the end of the game when Ryo has to find a way to get to the harbor for a special event that I don't want to spoil if you havent played that far .

It also happens when you have to look for a way to get to the harbor in time (the motorcycle part). I think you can look round for about an hour or 2 before you have to go look for one.

I thought when you had to rescue Nazomi was the only time?

:lol:

Love you guys.
by Martin
Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: On 10/28/2002 Shenmue II was released in the U.S on the

It's not as bad as everyone makes out. Don't get me wrong, it ain't good either, but neither was the original Shenmue at the end of the day. You'll defo get a few laughs here and there though.

Btw, it kinda does my head in when peeps say about the Japanese version. The voice acting in that one's probably as bad as the English dub, but we just don't realise.

Watching whole screen > Reading bottom of screen
by MiTT3NZ
Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: On 10/28/2002 Shenmue II was released in the U.S on the

Airing the books and lugging crates were not enjoyable tasks, but they weren't supposed to be. It was part of the story, teaching Ryo (and the player) the value of patience and investment/sacrifice if you want to get anywhere in life.

Of course a lot of people have no tolerance for this when they sit down to play a videogame, but Shenmue is more than a game. It's an experience, telling a tale that involves the player in ways that other designers wouldn't dare - forcing the player to share the hardship that Ryo endures, so that we know we've genuinely put in the work to earn our reward. We can't experience Ryo's sense of humble achievement if we don't go through it with him.

That probably sounds nuts to some, but when you place it in context with the overall character arc along which Ryo is expected to travel - a hasty young man, consumed by the desire to fight Lan Di, into a level headed, mature hero with a greater grasp of responsibility - it only fits that the player is expected to travel the same road of emotional development.

And that happens by not brushing off the less exhilarating and more frustrating parts of his journey.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

by Guest

Jump to topic

by Guest

Jump to topic

by Guest

Jump to topic

I'm terrified at the prospect of Romney being in office because he's willing to say anything to sit in the oval office chair, feet on the desk. Obama is a little more consistent by comparison.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/barack-obama/
http://www.politifact.com/personalities/mitt-romney/
http://www.politifact.com/georgia/article/2012/nov/05/has-president-obama-kept-his-campaign-promises/

In the end, its just the same game of picking the lesser of two evils.

http://i.imgur.com/hX0lv.jpg
by Kenny
Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY0M7IdNl7U[/youtube]

:lol: God help everyone if Romney wins.
by Who Really Cares?
Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fox News is shitting themselves. :D
by Axm
Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Salute

Stay thirsty my friends...
by Jeff
Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Salute

Sorry I had to edit the original image to something more appropriate. Jeff deserves special conservative treatment.

by Ziming
Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Am i one of the few that was never offendend as to why Jeff posted? He should be allowed to post here since we wiped the slate clean, like QWERTY etc (even though i was wrong).

Heres the deal guys, leave Jeff alone. Until he steps out of line, then treat him with fair respect. Just like anyone else who comes back here, we will leave alone! Same goes for all members!
by Peter
Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

As you can see from it's clear marking, that's just the one he rides to the office in. Wait until you see the badboy's he rides around in on the weekend, they're probably spaceship's.
Are you gay for him or something?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Jeff1020/you-have-no-power-here.jpg
by Jeff
Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

First off I wish all of you a happy thanksgiving to those here who celebrate it and I hope it was a good one. Enjoyed spending time with my family.

Thanks ShoZo and all the others for your support. Others like to insult me because it distracts them for their deficiencies in their lives, so they have to attack someone who done the right things. Contrary to Ryudo's statement, I no longer live in Vermont. I'm once again (and thank God) a New Yorker. Been so for a couple years now. My life has greatly improved since I last really posted here. If any of you guys are in the tri-state area and want to meet in Manhattan sometime feel free to contact me.

My life has improved greatly the past two years. I kind of compare myself to CJ on GTA San Andreas as how quickly he went from nothing to something. I love wearing tailored suits to work, I love my luxury car, I love being to go out with women on the regular now (have a dinner date tomorrow in fact). Things are just great. I'm also a Rotarian as well and provide polio vaccinations to children in developing countries. We recently eradicated polio in India and now are targeting the middle east.

To those I deleted from my facebook, I want you to know that it was no hard feelings, I simply wanted to cut all ties with this place in all forms. I see now that there are some here worth keeping in touch with, and once again if you live in this area I'd be happy to build friendships with you.

The lesson on this post, and why I did it is simple. You can insult, troll, belittle someone all you want, but the bottom line is, you can't keep a good guy down. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqeVzsGVxzQ
by Jeff
Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Unpopular Opinions

Just come in recently? I don't know what youz are so worried about, it's fine in every other country, and an NHS doesn't mean there's no private medical firms.

Socialized programs have been around since Franklin D. Roosevelt got around to approving them when America was in worse shape in the 1940s and been evolving since then.

People who are generally against it are either rich, have no general understanding of it, or are already on some form of it and don't want other people to be on it. But there are some real cons to it, just like anything else. Non-personal doctor relationship, longer wait lines.

I think it'd be great to have private for those who can afford it and public healthcare for everyone else (and if not, making it cheaper is a great alternative). I already pay for things like public schools, libraries, fire department, and highway construction. What's it to me for a real reform in healthcare? And no, not that pussy watered-downed shit Obama was forced to compromise with the Republicans on (Romney's similar plan was a little worse, wonder how many of his diehard supporters would've rallied behind that). I also think there should be an INCREASE in education but the idiots here in California voted against those props.

America made too many fucked up decisions to adopt it now, sadly. Money is allocated in other places where it's overbloated.
by Kenny
Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq7CmppEkQU
fake. I've seen the opening footage before. Its from an otaku convention or something. Not Black Friday, which I'm pretty sure isn't even a thing in Japan(or really anywhere other than North America).
yeah, why would anywhere else in the world care about the day following thanksgiving
by south carmain
Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SII CHAR DATABASE-ALL 700 (AND 1) CHARACTERS! UPDATE 27/3/15

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/askvera/s2cd_sigbanner.png

DOWNLOAD - https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qkby011a3tkgg2/Shenmue%20II%20Character%20Database.rar

Yep. After nearly a decade, it's done, people :D

HISTORY OF THE SHENMUE II CHARACTER DATABASE PROJECT
Ever since casting my eyes upon screenshots of Shenmue published in the (now defunct) UK magazine Computer and Video Games, I have been absolutely enthralled by the series. This game was definitely something different. As the famous tagline proclaimed in the trailers before its release – RPG had changed. Sure, hailing the game as being its own exciting new “genre” with a somewhat silly acronym as its name (FREE- Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment) was being a tad overzealous perhaps, but you had to admire Yu Suzuki’s ambition for this game. When I finally got to play it on the Christmas morning of 2000, it did not disappoint. The atmosphere created was just amazing to me – a realistic, living, breathing town with over 300 individual characters – all with their own specific daily routines and, in supplementary materials, all named and given detailed biographies! Throw in the fantastic music and the engaging (if not completely original) story and you really had something special. And this was only part one of the saga...

Bundled with the game was the ‘Shenmue Passport’ disc. Through the Dreamcast’s internet connection, this enabled access to all sorts of information about the game, as well as ranking leaderboards for the various mini-games and the chance to get exclusive capsule toys. One of the best features was the character profile section however; as you met and conversed with the characters during a playthrough, their profiles would gradually be added to the Passport. Now to some, giving all 300+ characters names, stats, and biographies may seem extraneous, (especially given characters that Ryo can’t even speak to have detailed information about them!) but it really shows the love and care put into the game by the developers and the amount of depth to Shenmue that few games have matched.

PASSPORT EXPIRED
The Passport service was eventually taken offline in April 2002, but thankfully the character profiles had also been published in Prima’s strategy guide book for the game, so the information was still readily available to fans.
Which brings us to the sequel game, Shenmue II – which I got the following Christmas in 2001. This sadly could end up being the last game in the series, despite it ending on a cliffhanger and at a game-changing point in the saga’s story. Nonetheless, the sequel’s world was even bigger than the first’s– Ryo travels to Hong Kong to continue his quest, with most of its areas completely dwarfing Shenmue I’s in terms of size, as well as the amount of characters – around 700. There was also a lot more mini-games and sidequests to discover, and fans generally agree it is more action-packed and that the plot moves a lot quicker than the first game (though some will argue Shenmue I’s atmosphere has more charm) And what of these 700-odd characters? Were they all named and profiled as per the original game? As it turns out, yes – but these were not readily available to the fans outside of Japan.

Firstly, unlike the first Shenmue, there was no Passport. There was no Prima guide either, as the Dreamcast version had been cancelled in America. America eventually saw an updated version of Shenmue II on the Microsoft Xbox, and a Prima guide was finally published. However, unlike the Shenmue I book, there were only profiles on the main characters; Ryo, Shenhua, Xiuying, Fangmei, Ren, Joy, Wong, Lan Di, Dou Niu and Yuan. The Xbox version, with the new snapshot feature, did include profiles on some of the other characters; unlocked when you took pictures of them, but it didn't come close to having profiles for all the characters. Would we ever know the names and backgrounds of the reams of anonymous characters?

A FAN EFFORT
Shortly after I had completed Shenmue II, I looked around on the internet for fansites/information about the series, ultimately finding the excellent Shenmue Dojo website. I joined the forums, and this was in fact one of the first message boards I signed up to on the internet. My handle on the forum was (and still is) ‘Miles Prower’, as I am also a long-time fan of the Sonic the Hedgehog series of games (and Sega games in general). I made a lot of good friends through the Dojo community and have many fond memories associated with the forums. I think between us we have probably discussed every single aspect of the games to death, but as many fans will attest, you find or notice something new with every playthrough of these wonderful games. Not to mention the very active hacking/modding scene that developed, mostly headed by longtime member LanDC, in which reams of unused content was discovered and many interesting and or humourous modifications made to the game. I still get a warm nostalgic feeling every time I watch LanDC’s Road to Amihama videos in particular.

And indeed, the question of whether detailed character profiles existed for Shenmue II’s cast was raised in discussion. In a thread from 2003, a member named Eek the Cat shared some scans of a guidebook he owned published in Japan called the Shenmue II Perfect Guidebook. The scans showed that there were indeed names and profiles for each and every character.
Eek was even kind enough to put all of the scans together on a CD for me and mail it to me, and even threw in a couple of audio CD’s he had compiled containing music from Shenmue II (sadly the second game never had any official soundtracks released).

The problem? Being that this book was from Japan, the character names were in Chinese and the information in Japanese. Through discussion in the topic, another forum member called khien agreed to help with translating the character names as she could read Chinese. And so began the effort to translate the many character profiles. I began by gradually posting them within the topic, and then eventually creating a website (which, thanks to Web Archive, you can still view here , albeit with most of the images missing).

Continuing into 2004 and beyond, progress was quite slow, mainly due to me starting university. Khien’s life ended up becoming quite busy as well, but thanks to the efforts of another forum member, Oda Ryo, the translation work still continued. The forum member Kiyuu (possibly Japan’s biggest Shenmue fan, and often referred to as the ‘Shenmue Queen’), also informed me that another book existed, the Shenmue II Complete Guide, which contained profiles for characters not included in the Perfect Guidebook; namely those for the many pedestrians who wander the streets of Hong Kong. I made the effort to acquire this book myself and make scans for the remaining profiles.

RESSURECTING THE PROJECT
As the years went on, however, my free time became less and less. I studied for three years at university and after graduating in 2008, I was working full time; in short I was growing up. It was also looking increasingly unlikely that a Shenmue III would ever emerge. Life went on. However, my enthusiasm to complete the project was somewhat fired up again when Peter from the forums (who most likely owns the biggest Shenmue collection in Ireland) got in touch with me on Facebook asking if I was still working on it, as the Dojo staff had managed to get an interview with one of the voice actors for the English dub of Shenmue II (a very interesting read by the way, which can be found here , and they had requested that video clips be assembled of the characters he voiced, which he supplied a list of – but only by name and brief descriptions. Using the information from my project I helped with finding some of them. I then found myself wanting to get the project finished once and for all, and got back in touch with Oda Ryo who happily assisted me with getting the remaining names translated.

I had also spoken to the member ‘thegreatchai’, who had also been attempting to catalogue the character information on her wiki site, and over time we assisted each other greatly. I began transferring the information to an Excel spreadsheet with the intention of creating a complete database of all the Shenmue II characters – which after assembling a numbered list I discovered there are exactly 700 – surely a deliberate intention of the creators? At any rate, after a few months work the project was finally finished. I am glad that this information is now easily accessible to Shenmue fans, and while some may consider me obsessive or downright insane for pursuing with the project, it was worth it for a game series that I love so much and one day hope will be continued in some form. We can but hope. The saga may still go on....

DOWNLOAD - https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qkby011a3tkgg2/Shenmue%20II%20Character%20Database.rar

Please feedback and let me know if you spot any mistakes or errors, or any factoids about the characters that I may have missed. Most of all, enjoy :D
by Miles Prower
Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The women!

Wait! The gay orgies stuff was funny?
by Who Really Cares?
Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If there was a way to count how many people's hearts skip a beat as they scroll past that, it would be priceless
by Yokosuka Martian
Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 1 Soundscape [Tomato Store @ Night]

Hey guys, I just threw together a quick soundscape video inspired by the Tomato store from Shenmue 1. I was standing outside a drug store last week waiting for the bus, and the sound of the automatic doors opening and closing reminded me of it. This is what I'd think it'd sound like standing outside the Tomato store on a chilly winter night (close your eyes for a better effect).

I was thinking of making something similar that encompassed most of Dobuita street (starting at the bus on the freeway and making it all the way down to bar yokosuka or something). I spent about 30 min making this video, so it was more of a trial run to see if anyone else cared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gAKmuHL1Q4
by Takumi
Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Any other bronies on the dojo?

thought ryudo had got over his spam threads with pointless gifs and images disease, apparently not
by beedle
Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic