Search found 343 matches

Return

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

^ Damn. With your talent for headhunting investors left and right, Shenmue 4 & 5 should be already a guaranteed green-lit project given time. Have you thought of applying for a position in YsNet or even better, Awesome Japan, as you have this knack of bringing investors in? I'm sure they'd love you over there. TBH your skills are kinda wasted here on the forum with just winning a couple of awards, but congratz anyway!
by sand4fish
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No, it's because Ys Net take a while to reply back. Unfortunately, that's why it's taking so long but can't blame them since they're busy with development. Will keep everyone posted!

That's unfortunate. If only someone could hand to you Yu's personal phone number... I'm sure only good things could come out of it. Too bad... Back to tweet millionaires I guess.
by sand4fish
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Lately I've been reminiscing about gaming and pondered about why after so many years of gaming (including skipping a couple of console generations) I still regard Shenmue as my personal greatest of all time. I managed to tie down the reasons to my fondest gaming experiences. As a kid my favorite genres were beat'em ups and fighting. The first game I ever owned and played was Streets of Rage and back then even though I was already aware the game didn't have the complex mechanics of a Street Fighter 2, it had instead that extra layer of immersion to it as my avatar could traverse its world while beating up people. It was like living in a martial arts world from those Hong Kong action flicks.

Later in the 90's I discovered and fell in love with LucasArts' games like The Secret of Monkey Island, Full Throttle and The Dig. And beyond I found the eye-popping semi-realistic worlds of Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword, The Last Express and Phantasmagoria. The adventure genre was king to me because the visuals and immersion were above anything else in other genres, with your character interacting with animated npcs with more than 1 liners and manipulating objects in the background or the scenery itself to advance the game.

And then came Shenmue, adding all what I came to love in games and scale the meshing elements to a 3D space, what at the time it looked to me to be an one-to-one digital replica of a real town. Back then I thought this game was just made for me and still today, that feeling has never left as I couldn't find anything quite like it.
by sand4fish
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Update #79: MAGIC 2018 Participation Info

MAGIC 2018 Participation Info
Posted by Ys Net (Creator)
日本語はこちら

Hello Everyone,

As some fans may already know, MAGIC (Monaco Anime Game International Conferences) is coming up to be held on February 24th. We are happy to announce director Yu Suzuki will once again be making an appearance!

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/019/876/363/3c3ba0e51eec7426698933efead38322_original.png?w=639&fit=max&v=1516065722&auto=format&lossless=true&s=211508898e93497af828b7886b2a2cf0

MAGIC is organized by Shibuya Productions who’s CEO, Cédric Biscay, is co-producer of Shenmue III. The event hosts conferences for manga artists and game creators as well as gaming, cosplay and manga contests.

A conference with Yu Suzuki is planned for the day. Once details have been worked out with participating partners, we will have an update to follow up.

Please see the official MAGIC site for more information on the day’s schedule.

Thank you as always for your continued support!
by sand4fish
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

I just found out about the Fatal Frame movie. Has anyone here seen it? Is worth watching?

From what I remember it was actually not bad. It's a coming of age lesbian drama with a horror mystery theme to it. The movie is way too slow for my liking and the acting lackluster, but I did like the rite of passage theme and the ending which I think it was the best one from all the movies based on a videogame. Though I have never really played a Fatal Frame game, I believe it's only loosely based on the franchise and so, said that I'd rather recommend better movies like The Wailing or A Tale of Two Sisters than this one for a similar Asian eerie horror type of experience.
by sand4fish
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Phantom River Stone Articles [Updated Regularly]

Great stuff as always. Thank you for all the work!
by sand4fish
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Xenogears Soundtrack Revival Disc

Re-recorded by original composer Yasunori Mitsuda and Irish group Anúna. Titled "the first and the last", it's due to release this April.

Source: Square Enix
Mitsuda's Facebook page
by sand4fish
Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SNK HEROINES: Tag Team Frenzy

New trailer. Giving Team Ninja a run for their money I see...

phpBB [video]
by sand4fish
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UPDATE #80 MAGIC 2018: New Pics Up!

When a project that 'claimed to be set up and determined by a kickstarter campaign decides to hide information, lie and ignore the said donors then I feel scam is the only word to describe it. Nice to see an ad hominem attack thrown in as an after thought or in the absence of thought entirely.

Hiding information, lie? What are you talking about? And what donors? This is no charity. Most of us if not all are not giving money away for free out of kindness. People are basically purchasing a tee or digital copy of the game at the very least. It's very far fetched to call the project a scam when names like Sony, which are getting an exclusive console release out of the deal, and Deep Silver, which very recently published a very commercially successful Kickstarter game, are attached to Shenmue 3.

In fact your "complaint" posts seem more likely a scam, a trick, dishonest attempt at discord when you are actually trying to fish for views and subscribers for your channel. This is clear when you keep asking us to watch your video in order for us to counter or agree with your supposed in-depth arguments at every post of yours. If you want to be part of this community and have something to say just straight up type your points right here. We can read. And yes, we noticed you posting your same video in multiple topics btw.
by sand4fish
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favorite Alternate Costumes/Outfits

http://c-6rtwjumjzx7877x24anlsjyyjx2ebnpnfx2esthttpnjx2esjy.g00.wikia.com/g00/3_c-6zshmfwyji.bnpnf.htr_/c-6RTWJUMJZX77x24myyux78x3ax2fx2fanlsjyyj.bnpnf.sthttpnj.sjyx2fzshmfwyjix2fnrfljx78x2f3x2f34x2fItzlmszy_Iwfpj_ozrunsl_tajw_htajw.OULx2fwjanx78ntsx2fqfyjx78yx2fx78hfqj-yt-bniym-itbsx2f355x3fhgx3d75665457568977_$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$?i10c.ua=1
Doughnut Drake. It seriously enhanced the experience playing the games with it. His voice changes as well lol.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/residentevil/images/4/40/0314_-_Resident_Evil_-_Deadly_Silence_33_18830.png/revision/latest/zoom-crop/width/480/height/480?cb=20141020103528&format=webp
Resident Evil Chris Original Playstation Costume. Just 'cause leather jackets can't go wrong in a survival horror setting. Ask Leon about it.

https://cdn.capcom-unity.com/capcom-unity.com/user/strumslinger/large/41726be31180c073461090ba6aaf21bf.jpg?v=201600
Interpol Agent Chun-li Costume. Something I'd expect a real life Chun-li would wear in a fight or mission, and it's not a mod.
by sand4fish
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SPG wrote:
Steenkoud wrote: The unreal engine will be the final nail in the coffin for Shenmue.

How so?

Must be a scam too duh.
by sand4fish
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: This game constantly fails to amaze me...

No hate but what's up with these YouTube trolls of late trying to gain subscribers on Dojo?
by sand4fish
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Good Life

Deadly Premonition's director Swery just launched a new Kickstarter project, The Good Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrWOdfs8QDQ

And here is the prototype trailer presented at PAX WEST for his then failed Fig campaign last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MzVVp-aqUs

For more details go to the Kickstarter campaign main page.

EDIT: I just noticed that the creator of the Panzer Dragoon trilogy is the creative director for this game!
by sand4fish
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Good Life

Also the ammount asked is crazy high (well, less than a half of what he originally asked for, and even less of what the other ammounted), for a game that seems kinda hit or miss, with no real name behind it (really, sweary just hit gold with DP, the kind of B movie turned cult classic kind of gold).

You have no idea how many people out there thought the same about the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter back then and still up to today. Btw Yukio Futatsugi, creator of the Panzer Dragoon trilogy, is a beloved name and he is the creative director for this game. Besides, not many people may know it but SWERY worked on one of the best 2D fighting games ever, The Last Blade.

Most of the money gets done in the first and last days, it's high because it's a big ammount for a game in general (specially for one lowpoly made on unity), and it looks scammy that they're now asking the same ammount of money they got in the old crowdfounding.

Isn't ironic Shenmue 3 fans getting to call other Kickstarter games a scam but when it's the other way around it is a sacrilege :D ?

EDIT: Also wasn't him working on another project ? Or relaunching a kickstarter was the "secret project" ?

Still happening, but that seems to be a game developed by Arc System Works rather than Swery's studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16QsRYKMdhU
by sand4fish
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

phpBB [video]

Even people that never played the game fall in love with the music. It speaks volumes of the series soundtrack quality. Apparently a couple even used this particular cover on their wedding.
by sand4fish
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Finally found a Youtuber critic that gets what makes games like Shenmue special.

phpBB [video]

by sand4fish
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How did they F the Xbox port so badly?

A technical side-by-side comparison between the two versions of the game by DF Retro... Very far from a bad port.

phpBB [video]
by sand4fish
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

I'm not sure what's the big deal with these cutscenes being widescreen or not. Wasn't the whole Shenmue HD thing a mean to generate serious interest outside the core fanbase towards the third game and revitalize the brand? It's not like most here never played a HD version of these games already. Newcomers will likely see this game for what it really is, straight forward HD ports of almost 20 years old games, $15 per game... just a little bit more than having a port of GTA: San Andreas on your smartphone. Not having widescreen for cutscenes might even work in favor for the modern gamer as it can work as a visual cue for putting the controller down. There are already talks about skipping time in Shenmue 1 and having a side map on screen, so it's not much of a stretch imo.

And unfortunately, Shenmue is not Metal Gear or Uncharted. Those franchises actually turn a profit for their publishers. If Sega was really serious about dumping money on Shenmue HD, we wouldn't have had to wait two decades for the company to start doing something with the series after throwing the franchise's future to the whims of crowdfunding. Let's be thankful we are having something right now. Down the road, if Shenmue HD turns out great sales wise from gamers in general, Sega might be convinced to hire someone like the folks at Bluepoint and have an actual remake a la SOTC. When you think about that prospect, stuff like widescreened cutscenes on HD ports are such minor issues to be worried about. Well, at least that's my two cents on the issue.
by sand4fish
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your captured video game screenshots (merged)

^ Amazing shots, specially the ones from Dishonored 2.
by sand4fish
Mon May 21, 2018 9:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^ Can't blame them. People tend to be mesmerized on graphics and plot over anything else, trying hard to tie games' cinematic value as close to film, and so validating their hobby as art.

Haven't played it yet, but the vibes I'm getting from the game are the same ones I got from playing Horizon Zero Dawn, terrific on presentation but only okay everywhere else.
by sand4fish
Thu May 24, 2018 2:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just came across a very old tv show focused on videogames (and recently uploaded on Youtube) with a Shenmue segment on it. There's a small interview with Yu Suzuki and even a snippet of him doing martial arts choreography for the game! The show refers Yu as Game Guru for Sega Japan! :D Gold.

https://youtu.be/m_DegC2vwFA?t=293
by sand4fish
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^^^ oh wow that is alot of papers for a day of work. I can't really wait for a story trailer and gameplay footage. How long does the voice work last for a video game?

It will depend on how much dialogue said character will have, but apparently according to a professional an hour worth of finished recorded dialogue averages 5 hours of work for the voice actor plus 2 hours of editing per finished hourly dialogue. That is, if it's done professionally. Amateur or heavily budget constrained work will take way less time as the director might only opt for one take per line and be done with it.
by sand4fish
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hum, all of this make me curious :
How much time worth of dialog will there be stored in the game ?
How much was it for SH1 and SH2 ?

I did a little digging around and found out that for the first game the script had about 42,000 lines of dialogue and a count of 330,000 English words, according to this community gaming database . If you take the average reading speed of 180 words per minute, the entire Shenmue 1 would have roughly over 30.5 hours of recorded dialogue audio. More surprisingly, the script was bigger than RPGs like the first Mass Effect and Tales of Vesperia!

Hopefully Shenmue 3's budget will hold and we can have once again a fully voiced game.
by sand4fish
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dying Light 2

phpBB [video]

The first game was one of my favorite FPS experiences this generation. Can't wait for this sequel.
by sand4fish
Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue II NTSC - J Editions

It seems to be impossible to find any pictures of the Dorikore version.
Does the cover it even look different, like the rest of this rerelease lineup?

It's just the standard edition with a sticker slapped onto it, labeled Dorikore and maybe an extra spine. I have it and would take a pic of it but I just moved, so that discounted version is buried somewhere among other piles of stuff. I will post a pic whenever I find it, but it is really nothing to write home about. I guess it's uncommon because like the limited edition the sticker was on top of a shrink wrap, so it is hard to locate a mint condition one nowadays.

Edit: Found a pic while browsing...
http://i57.tinypic.com/wsaesl.jpg
by sand4fish
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #83 - Survey Info #0

For those who still couldn't see all the add-ons Peter posted, here's another pic:

by sand4fish
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why Is Shenmue So Special?

In the grand scheme of things, Shenmue was one of those wish scenarios of what if a talented game designer was given basically a blank cheque to do whatever he wanted for as long as he deemed necessary for a sole game project. Thus came Shenmue, a dream come true for any young videogame enthusiast like myself at the time looking for the most immersive gaming experience they could get their hands on. That itself is special because looking forward, how many more insanely high budget and ahead of its time games like Shenmue was in 1999 will we even have from now on, specially without the strings of having to inflate them with live service and microtransactions?
by sand4fish
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Did u guys ever get a shrine for Wude?

Yes, I contributed a bit to the cause so I recall Wude getting to have at least his name in the game credits. Yama was the one responsible for setting it up if I'm not wrong.
by sand4fish
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

^Dos Equis is great. Drinking Tecate right now while watching the World Cup all day and still pissed at Messi for missing that penalty kick. Lost money on it.
by sand4fish
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

Previously banned member, alt account and the usual shitposting which will not be part of the site.

I can understand you are trying to keep excessive trolling out of the site, but may I ask what is exactly the level of shitposting acceptable in here from now on? The Haruto guy might have been a previous offender but the way I see it now his posts are pretty harmless specially when stacked with his contribution to the gaming section with new trailers and news. So once members are banned, will they be lockout for life? Do we get any warnings? Shouldnt the forum have some kind of guideline for tone and humour acceptable while posting? I don't get why even old time regulars Himuro and Bluecast were banned (or remain so). I'm asking because I'm kinda wary of attempting any lame jokes or even engage on any controversial discussions at the chance of being misunderstood as trolling or creating drama, when there were no such restrictions a year or so ago.
by sand4fish
Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Metro Exodus

phpBB [video]

Simply amazing in all aspects. I can't wait for it to come out even though I'm not much of a FPS fan in general.
by sand4fish
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bloodstained "Ritual of the Night"

phpBB [video]

For some reason I'm looking forward to this stretch goal 8-bit game more than the main game. Playing it specially on the Switch handheld mode will give me vibes of the time spent on the Gameboy color during childhood.
by sand4fish
Tue May 15, 2018 3:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue and Streets of Rage soundtracks coming to Vinyl

Just a shout out to those who missed getting a copy of the Shenmue vinyl soundtrack, Data Discs is restocking it this summer.

by sand4fish
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kickstarter Update #84 - Survey Info #1: Survey Started!

Hello Backers!

The long wait for the surveys is now over and we are happy to announce that surveys begin today.

You will receive an email from Fangamer at the email address you have registered with Kickstarter for Kickstarter backers, or either your PayPal or Shenmue.link registered email for Slacker Backers. The email contains a link to your survey with the questions needed for your rewards. Here you will confirm your preferred game platform and other rewards, write your guestbook message, credit name etc., and get to us all of your info that will be in the game and to get ready for release and delivery!

https://ksr-video.imgix.net/assets/021/726/535/e4620f2e7d7ef5c99b70dfb8b613430e_h264_high.mp4

Who Gets a Survey?

Surveys will go out to all backers who pledged on Kickstarter and those who pledge on the Slacker Backer up through August 13, 2018 at 11:59PM JST (7:59AM PDT).

*Backers will receive an email with instructions for the survey once preparations are complete. Surveys from Fangamer will be sent within 10 business days from the date of your pledge.

When will Surveys close?

Surveys will close Septempber 30, 2018 at 11:59PM JST (7:59AM PDT). We please ask that everyone respond by this time. We need your responses for game production and reward manufacturing, so make sure to respond within the survey period.

Can I Upgrade My Reward?

Reward upgrades (and add-ons!) will be available through the Fangamer survey site. We have received many requests asking about possible reward tier upgrades and add-ons, and now is the chance! *Please note that upgrades are available up to the $250 tier level.

For more information on the available upgrades and add-ons, please visit Shenmue 3 on Fangamer .

Which Reward Tiers can be Upgraded?

Reward tiers differ between the Kickstarter and Slacker Backer campaigns, so please see below which reward tiers can be upgraded.

*Backers who selected "No Reward" during the Kickstarter are also eligible for this service.

Kickstarter Reward Tiers that can be Upgraded

US$5 Shenmue Lives

US$29 Digital Copy

US$39 Save Shenmue Digital Upgrade

US$60 Physical Copy - PC

US$60 Physical Copy - PS4

US$80 S3 World Telecom

US$100 Shenmue 3 Trial Version

US$120 Toy Capsules "I Should Buy One"

US$160 Bonus Pack

US$175 Printed Art Book

US$250 Kickstarter Collector's Edition

Slacker Backer Reward Tiers that can be Upgraded

US$13 Digital Soundtrack

US$29 Digital Copy for PC or PS4

US$30 Shenmue 3 T-shirt

US$60 Physical Copy for PC or PS4

US$100 Shenmue 3 Trial Version

US$120 Toy Capsules "I should buy one."

US$160 Bonus Pack

US$175 Printed Art Book

US$250 Shenmue Collector's Edition

$7M Stretch Goal in Reach!

The Kickstarter and Slacker Backer campaigns combined currently stand at $6.9M. We are almost at the $7M stretch goal for the AI Battling battle system expansion! This is the last chance for stretch goals and we ask for your continued support!

*The Slacker Backer campaign and upgrades & add-ons through Fangamer will end on August 13th.

Battle System Expanded: AI Battling

This control system lets you automatically unleash the perfect technique in response to the opponent's positioning and distance. R&D for this system is based on Yu Suzuki's concept for players who are not used to fighting games or for those who want a full immersion battle experience. This battle system is highly compatible with the current battle system, and will be implemented upon reaching the stretch goal.

We would like to thank everyone for your patience and the inquiries you sent in anticipation of the survey roll out!

Once we have your responses in, we will continue to move forward with in-game implementation and manufacture ordering. This is a wonderful moment with the dev team and backers taking the project forward together! We'll be looking forward to your responses!!

---------- General Information ----------

Shenmue 3 Backer Survey

Backer surveys are now underway. For information on your survey, please see the email sent to you by Fangamer. Shenmue 3 can only be completed with your responses! Thank you for your cooperation!!

Please complete or make any necessary changes to your survey by these dates.

・August 13 (MON) 2018: Last day of Slacker Backer campaign, reward upgrades and add-ons

・September 30 (SUN) 2018: Surveys close

For further information, please visit:

Survey Support and Survey Resender

Choosing the PS4 or PC platform

We have a few notes to consider when choosing your platform. Also, if there would be any major changes in the requirements for either the PC or PS4 versions, the platform selection question of the survey is scheduled to remain open.

Choosing your PS4 region

Your PS4 region will be decided with your "Country" selection. Please note, if the disc region differs from PS4 system region, the unit itself, PlayStation™Network online services or DLC may not function properly.

System Requirements for PC Version

Minimum:

OS: Windows 7x64, Windows 8x64, Windows 10x64 (64-bit OS Required)

Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 (3.40 GHz) or better; Quad-core or better

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti or better (DirectX 11 card & VRAM 2GB

Required)

DirectX: Version 11

Network: Broadband internet connection

Storage: 100 GB available space

Sound card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Additional Info: Requires Steam Client to activate.

*Game is currently in development so system requirements may change without notice. We thank you for your understanding.

Fangamer and Third Party Use of Personal Information

YS NET has a written contract with Fangamer to carry out the backer surveys. Fangamer is a formal representative of YS NET to help process and fulfill all backer's orders through the surveys. Personal information is handed over and treated in accordance with the privacy policies of both companies for the purposes of conducting the surveys and reward delivery only. We thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

YS NET Privacy Policy

Fangamer Privacy Policy

Official Links

Kickstarter
Shenmue Link
S3 Facebook
S3 Twitter
Backer Survey on Fangamer
by sand4fish
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #84 - Survey Info #1: Survey Started!

^ I don't think you have to worry about it. I've had many Kickstarter purchases prior to Shenmue 3, including some handled by Fangamer itself, sent to Canada where I currently live and not a single custom charge was given. Kickstarter is basically a donation site before anything else.

*If that wasn't the case I'd feel sorry for Peter and others who put 10K into it.
by sand4fish
Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #84 - Survey Info #1: Survey Started!

Kirino_Matsuyama wrote: Do you have to go through the checkout before you can do the Survey?

Yes, after you fill in your shipping info on the checkout you should be prompted to the survey page.
by sand4fish
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1999 Interview with Yu Suzuki "15 Secrets of Shenmue"

I've come to understand Yu's design mindset thanks to your work, Switch. Thank you so much for this!
by sand4fish
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adam Koralik explains the re-releases (4:3, audio etc)

Just a matter of perspective. Maybe they could have done 4k, but would it matter much? Personally do I want to see how muddy some of the textures are and exacerbate how old this game really is graphically speaking in even finer detail? Not really as it's not a remake, just a HD enhancement as it is being advertised.

Is this a lazy port by d3t? I can't tell because I don't know the budget d3t was working with like AG mentioned. But I don't really think so, as they could just have used emulation and be done with it.

About the 4:3 cutscenes, those are Yu's cinematography at play. Others have pointed out before how old films originally 4:3 scanned to widescreen ended up showing stuff not meant to be seen like camera crews and out of place objects, in the end changing the original intended atmosphere of the scene. Well, the same can be said here as npcs shown in the 16:9 emulation, not meant to be seen in the original frame shot, are frozen in place as example. Even worse as the draw of extra geometry already shows distracting artifacts in the emulation, who is to say that in the engine d3t worked with it won't break the game? Either way, changing the original ratio of the constructed shot cutscenes is the same as changing Yu's original artistic vision imo.

Another thing I see it being complained about in other forums is the 30 fps. Well, besides being hard coded I believe it's tied to the time system in the game and it would mess with its mechanics and probably break the physics in the game. I'd imagine Shenmue HD 60 fps looking like this in execution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agl6eoJ84jk

Anyway, I'm stocked for the release of Shenmue 1 & 2 HD not because of me playing it, but it is finally the chance the franchise ever had to draw in new fans towards Shenmue 3 and beyond. And I'm confident the newcomers won't nitpick these games that are nearly as old as they probably are.
by sand4fish
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Shenmue Figures Update

It makes sense that this is a Wonder Festival item as most never heard of these figures before. To clarify, Wonder Festival is the biggest toy figure convention in Japan. The event hosts official figure releases and also sale of amateur work. It appears that these figures fall in the latter case, as I don't see a Sega mention or reference. If so they are likely not an official licensed Sega product (garage kit).
by sand4fish
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

DC Cinematic Universe

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Can't believe these are real, and who knew Aquaman would be a fan favorite these days?
by sand4fish
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

People are surely expecting a lot from these games. $15 per game. Even old Capcom and Square Enix mobile games cost more on Google Play/Itunes.
by sand4fish
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update #85: Survey Info #2: We have reached the $7M stre

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/021/987/714/72ca8373a797ad46bd2a4a87a6529b12_original.jpg?w=639&fit=max&v=1532329681&auto=format&q=92&s=d118ecd2b624e0a620ca15f7e5d8eddc

Okay, now if you tell you are not excited about Shenmue 3 after looking at that pic you must be dead inside.
by sand4fish
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

However... where are the hidden gems of this generation? I see a lot of indie games but these have a tendency to look and feel quite similar between themselves as they adhere strongly to the "retro-inspired" trope. I haven't been able to otherwise identify too many, especially made in Japan games, and my "shopping list" right now has only two: Polybius and Dangerous Golf (none of which are japanese of course). I would definitely add Hollow Knight to that list as well, which I already have. Which others can you recommend? What am I missing?

Yeah, not sure what exactly criteria you are using but there are plenty either way... I've only completed a very few of these titles as for most of them I've only played to a certain extent, but I'm very confident they are gems: Planetary Annihilation (RTS and one of the best ever), Divinity Origin Sin 1 & 2 (probably the most faithful representation of pen and paper RPGs), Talos Principle (puzzle adventure not unlike the Portal series, but way better IMO). Rust (online survival FPS... you will not see the brilliance of this game with just a few hours of gameplay) and Wonderful 101 (such an underrated PlatinumGames title. Most see it as just an action brawler, but this game is more akin to a fighting game in its mechanics if you know what you are doing. Play Vanquish too while you are at it if you haven't).

If the budget must be rubbish like most in the indie scene and it has to be Japanese, then try this mobile shmup made by an ex-Cave employee, Aka to Blue. Though not Japanese, I also recommend Pathologic and Factorio.
by sand4fish
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic