Re: Justice League

Mint Trailer

phpBB [video]
by sand4fish
Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

It hasn't been that many years ago that I paid off my college debt (and I was paying at an international rate at the time), so I can't imagine myself going back to do it all over again. It must take guts and a lot of will to do so, so kudos to you Sonikku. All the best of luck to your career!
by sand4fish
Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nintendo Switch

BioShock's Ken Levine, Rez and Galak-Z's Jake Kazdal, The Walking Dead and Firewatch's Jake Rodkin, and Battleborn and ArenaNet's Aaron Linde share their thoughts on Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and what stands out from a developer's perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk-EnbS42dM
by sand4fish
Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Lucky I didn't purchase it yet lol. Thanks Raithos! The code worked.
by sand4fish
Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Dojo Twitch Channel - schedule & discussion

Thanks Jibby. I did follow a couple of sessions and it was a blast, but the schedule has not been good for me.. Except today, so I ll be on this one for sure.
by sand4fish
Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sega reviving major IPs strategic planning

Following their end of fiscal year, Sega reveals plans to revive major IPs in their latest strategic planning document titled "Road to 2020".

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2017/05/SEGA-SAmmy-dealie.jpg

Shenmue 1 & 2, Skies of Arcadia, Power Stone anyone?

Source: Sega Sammy
by sand4fish
Mon May 15, 2017 6:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Witcher Saga on Netflix

“I’m thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories, staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing,” said Andrzej Sapkowski who will be working as a creative consultant. Tomasz Bagiński, who served as the director for the cinematics in the games will be one of the show's directors as well.

https://s27.postimg.org/5vd12ov8z/oie_Uanv_WG3dq_Ymd.png

Source: http://www.platige.com/en/page/839-The_Witcher_Saga_On_Netflix
by sand4fish
Wed May 17, 2017 10:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not discrediting how amazing the Dreamcast was, but your argument of single one day release of 19 launch titles is a bit misleading as the Dreamcast was actually on the market for almost an entire year before hitting NA. Only four games were actually available during the Dreamcast's day one launch, of which only Virtua Fighter 3tb was of note and still none of the titles released during its first year had the same impact Breath of the Wild alone had. So Shredingskin is not really off on his statement at all.
I honestly gave the Switch as much leniency as possible; by talking only about launch games for the Dreamcast, as opposed to the Switch when I’ve charitable considered its whole meagre 2017 line-up. A truly fair comparison, year 1 of the Dreamcast compared to year 1 of the Switch would make things ever more unbalanced. There is no doubt that the Dreamcast's library would outright crush the Switch. In that scenario I probably wouldn't even have to mention any of Sega's games to do so. The strength of the Dreamcast's third-party support (even without EA) is more than enough to run circles around the Switch.

We get it. You love the Dreamcast to death. Dreamcast > any other console ever made. Now take a chill pill.
by sand4fish
Thu May 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

However, that simply isn't the case; as I've already shown, the Dreamcast had a better single day on the 9/9/99 then the Switch will ever see in its entire first year.

Not discrediting how amazing the Dreamcast was, but your argument of single one day release of 19 launch titles is a bit misleading as the Dreamcast was actually on the market for almost an entire year before hitting NA. Only four games were actually available during the Dreamcast's day one launch, of which only Virtua Fighter 3tb was of note and still none of the titles released during its first year had the same impact Breath of the Wild alone had. So Shredingskin is not really off on his statement at all.
by sand4fish
Thu May 18, 2017 10:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Doing something nice for Shenmue III team

I'd go for something more practical like a nice bottle of alcohol as I know Japanese in general love their booze.

I know for sure Yu would appreciate it. RIght Mr. Suzuki?
https://68.media.tumblr.com/4f668971477ed90680d1d0537813afcc/tumblr_op9pjitn2V1t4enkyo1_1280.png

Anyway I'm more than glad to help out on the GoFundMe for anything you guys are deciding on.

Edit: Never mind. Just saw the other page. I'm in.
by sand4fish
Thu May 18, 2017 5:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: !

Bluecast wrote: Nice! All fantastic games! If you like Nier then pick up Automata.

I'm playing it right now in my spare time.

Bluecast wrote:Also wtf is with those cases? Looks like they were cut in half.

They are promo copies handed to the gaming press, not meant for retail.
by sand4fish
Fri May 12, 2017 2:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What TV series are you watching?

Definitely watching the first 2 seasons of Twin Peaks is a must to understand this new one. Overall I find the new series a must watch for anyone who appreciates film. Which other TV series had a gap of over 25 years, and it still presents you with the same original actors in it and the best part, it all ties in perfectly in narrative as if everything was a deadly premonition?

Here is a quick 5 minute recap of the first 2 seasons: https://youtu.be/n_64-4c_E3o

by sand4fish
Mon May 22, 2017 12:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What are you currently playing?

It's so much fun in duo/squad, you should try playing with a buddy if you get the chance, if other players won't kill you, my bad driving will! Apologies for my annoying laughter during the entire thing.

For sure, games are always better with a buddy along!

Well 2 of the games I ordered arrived early.

So playing2 Shmups from Cave.

Espgaluoa II

Mushihime-sama Futari Ver 1.5
Good taste there!
by sand4fish
Mon May 22, 2017 10:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Castlevania on Netflix

phpBB [video]

Surprisingly it looks good!
by sand4fish
Thu May 25, 2017 12:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Are there any big titles that are worth buying the Switch for other than BoTW? Not being condescending btw i'm genuinely asking since I haven't kept up with the console at all.

Monster Hunter XX. Coming out later this year, but the announcement alone brought Nintendo stock price to rise almost 6%.
by sand4fish
Sat May 27, 2017 2:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Blizzard has Sonikku committed

I'm not a long time member like many of you, but thanks for sharing your story. Continuing on living solely for the sake of a loved one is not bad at all if you ask me. I certainly did that for a period, but like anything else in this life it was only a phase. if you live long enough, you will eventually find a more firm reason, joyful purpose to continue to do so.

I grew up in a place where I ve watched a childhood friend shot dead in the back over an argument and another acquainted killed on the spot by a thief simply because he refused to hand over his cellphone. I know it's not the same thing with what you are going through, but what I mean is that eventually I managed to move out from such places and on with my life. So will you, and we all here want to hear that triumph story of yours. Be well until then.
by sand4fish
Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Like Ash has suggested, I'd get behind a GoFundMe if you are okay with it. I'd help you, though it might not be much.
by sand4fish
Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Collections & Merchandise

By pure chance, while travelling I found this Shenmue 2 Demo disc for sale on a gaming store among other things, and bought it on the spot.

What is in it can be seen here:

phpBB [video]

by sand4fish
Fri May 26, 2017 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Submit your question for Eric Kelso interview

What life experiences helped you in becoming a voice actor? How did you get into the videogame industry?

Regarding Shenmue, how did you choose the right voice for each of your characters? Were you coached by the director, or was it totally a decision of yours on how you worked on the voice tones for Ren, Guizhang and Fuku-san?

And thanks as always for your great work Switch!
by sand4fish
Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue II on XBox One

https://s3.postimg.org/waz32hdqr/20170611_211649.jpg

It is not exactly HD, but at least current gen console owners might get the chance to experience a Shenmue game.

For now, Crimson Skies High Road to Revenge is the only title confirmed so far.

I expect Xbox Shenmue 2's price to skyrocket on ebay near future.
by sand4fish
Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

I've been saying for 10 years and i'll say it again; there won't be a shenmue hd rerelease. not ever. can't believe so many people here get their hopes up based on nothing. why would sega re-release these games? answer that question. there is no reason. hell even square had to bend backwards to do hd rereleases of final fantasy 10 (and now 12) which actually was a commercial monster success unlike shenmue. and shenmue is more expensive to rerelease as well.

Gotta love this comment. I'll save it for posteriority as by the time Shenmue HD is finally announced, it will be even much more satisfying looking back to these posts.
by sand4fish
Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Romanization of Locations and Names

I don't think even Yu could answer that for you as the localization team was the one responsible for these.
But given the many instances of use of Kanji in Shenmue 2 instead of the native written language like the post Switch pointed it out, the mixing in the transliteration of Cantonese and Mandarim is not a big deal. The gibberish Cantonese Joy spouts to Ryo was already a big tell that they were not going for real life fidelity.

Curiously I've been to Man Mo Temple in real life before and I noticed this:
http://www.visitourchina.com/FileUpload/Guide/Picture/140303163608_3607.jpg
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shenmue/manmo1a.jpg

The writings on the outside walls in Shenmue 2 are exactly like the real life counterpart but their position have been swapped. So little things like these probably show the resources spent on research and detail were more focused in the first game, while they preferred the second game to have a grander sense of scale.

Anyway, like I posted in the other topic what matters to me personally is that the internal world of Shenmue 2 is still pretty much consistent as everyone from Guilin to Hong Kong speaks fluent Japanese, so seeing Kanji or mixing uses of Mandarim and Cantonese are all within context with the rest of the game's internal structure.
by sand4fish
Fri May 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAUn3A4QtaI

I guess this is the face you have after witnessing both world wars, black people and women being treated like shit for decades, economic depressions and to top it all, your own family leaving you behind to wither away in a nursing home. And when you thought it couldn't get any worse, strangers are leaching onto you for some headline news when all you want is a peaceful nap.
by sand4fish
Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bluecast wrote: I was somehow logged in another persons account here. I PM'd them to change their password. Only one specific member. That's strange.

Likely you found your true calling as hacker by accident. Congratz. 8)
by sand4fish
Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Collections & Merchandise

I have acquired a new favourite daily coffee mug after seeing Yu using the same one (though his is Shenhua's). Of course knowing it's valuable I'll naturally cry if I ever drop it.
by sand4fish
Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

phpBB [video]

Now you know you are getting old when news is that weed has gone out of fashion with the new generation.
by sand4fish
Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

http://i1.wp.com/www.cgmeetup.net/home/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Injustice-2-The-Lines-Are-Redrawn-Trailer-6.jpg
INJUSTICE 2

How to make the old tried-and-true structure of the 2D fighting genre still relevant and appealing in today's gaming scene where there's an ever increasing demand for higher immersion? Simple. Turn it into a cinematic experience. Make it like Injustice 2.

Mechanically Netherrealm Studios manages to build a really technical fighting game, probably their best effort eyeing the e-sports scene. Mostly gone are the studio's trademarked goofy fighting stances and Sonic's jumping rolled up like a ball aerial moves. In their place the game presents you with seriously one of best uses of facial animation in a straight action focused game, and faithful representation of each of its characters from their comics as far as I can tell (I'm not an avid comic book reader). With the realistic art direction, it's gearing towards the uncanny valley here that is even a bit creepy (in a good way). Looking at Supergirl's wrinkles as she frowns or Harley Quinn's exaggerated facial expressions make their characters feel incredibly alive and a joy to watch them interact with each other. And more surprisingly, this is all powered by the old Unreal 3 engine (bids me with confidence that Shenmue 3 might have amazing facial animations as well now using Unreal 4, at least on paper).

Content wise this game is a full plate, with a lengthy story campaign and a variety of multiplayer and other single player online modes. They all built these modes towards a loot system akin to Blizzard's Diablo, collecting rare gear and a chance for players to customize their characters with armor parts that modify stats and even add extra move sets in non ranked matches and other single player modes. And all that gear is visually within taste context wise, not betraying their heroes' original sense of style but still enough to make it personal for you.

Regarding the main story campaign, this mode alone is enough to justify the purchase even if you are not a fighting fan, as it's amazingly well done and very satisfying to go through. The focus of the story is on a few characters, but the entire roster (sans the DLC) makes an appearance more than once during the campaign (mostly) and the story makes sure to bring their personalities to life. Even better, there are even snippets of branching paths and player's choice during the story, so you have to play it more than once to see all the outcomes. It's really like a blockbuster DC movie you will never see, as I doubt Hollywood would have the balls to display the heroes in the kind of light the game does. If you are a DC fan, this is a definitely must experience.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED 5/5
by sand4fish
Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza is not a worthy substitute for Shenmue

When viewing their main mechanic focus, Yakuza is more of a 3D beat'em up with exploration aspects while Shenmue favors the latter over action. Also the level and money grinding feel of Yakuza makes it more akin to action RPGs than the likes of adventure games. Even though both share Japan as setting and Sega, they are different games in essence so Yakuza can't be in any form some kind of successor to Shenmue. A more fair comparison game to Yakuza is actually River City Ransom, to which I can see the natural evolution of its 2D form into what is now Yakuza.
by sand4fish
Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Food for thought LOL

by sand4fish
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

XBone is still a solid console aside from Asia, but Axm's comments reminds me of this GameStop's employee story...

by sand4fish
Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^I laughed hard on the last video..In this other one this guy playing along must have been high while answering this call...

phpBB [video]
by sand4fish
Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Don't know how to check on anyone's bday here... but well, Happy Birthday Sonikku! May the Sonic franchise continue to illuminate your life for many years to come. Wish you all the best!

by sand4fish
Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So who here has played a substantial amount of Mass Effect Andromeda? I decided to fire it up today because I felt guilty for not giving it a fair shake. I wanted to see if the story would grab me anymore than its failed to do so far.

Does it get better? When? How much time am I gonna have to put in until it really takes off if ever?
Just finding it very vanilla and soulless right now in these first 4-6 hours.

I played it to 100% completion on Insanity difficulty. I'm not sure 4-6 hours will give you much story to go on but I would say that if you are done with the ice planet (Voeld) and still not liking what you are seeing then I would call it quits. I'll just say that in Andromeda the most personal stories (and most diverging branching choices) are in the side missions and not in the main story thread.

If it helps I wrote a review (not much of spoilers in it) on the forum's review topic .
by sand4fish
Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^ Good for you. Hate that there are shitty people that can get away with this kind of stunt.
by sand4fish
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If there is a game that I would want localized more than anything else ever made would be this one:

phpBB [video]

A Japanese Cloverfield, Disaster Report with Kaijus, Godzilla and Ultraman? Please make it happen Bandai Namco!
by sand4fish
Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega - "actively pursuing" a Shenmue remaster.

Sega not giving a clear cut answer about Shenmue HD? Deja vu?
At this point, deep down I'm afraid Sega is waiting to see if Shenmue 3 will turn out to be a commercial success before deciding to firmly commit to the series once again. Of course hoping here I'm wrong, but it's not really like Sega hasn't disappointed fans before.
by sand4fish
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who needs Shenmue 3?

I guess the comparison between the two games will always come up again and again as seen through the numerous topic threads in this forum about it. And again I will say this: when you evaluate player's in-game progress when playing both series, you will realize they ultimately belong to different genres. Shenmue's world is more detailed than even Yakuza's latest entry (as admitted by the author's article) for a real specific reason, and not simply a matter of aesthetics and budget constraint.

There's nothing wrong with preferring one over another imo, but acknowledge that they are indeed different games as stated by the comments above. When you look past the Sega logo and the Asian setting, you will see they are not a substitute for each other, hopefully.
by sand4fish
Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who needs Shenmue 3?

Explore realistic Japanese town, engage in fenced-in fisticuffs against single or multiple enemies, learn new moves, enter shops to buy items, play games in arcades, engage in a range of tasks for the locals, seek out the truth behind a violent, sinister plot that's dragged you in against your will and threatens to hurt more of the people you care about.

TBH a lot in that description fits a lot of games I'm aware of, like Persona 5 and The World Ends With You.
If you replaced Japanese town with Hong Kong, Shenmue 2 and Sleeping Dogs would be interchangeable games in the eyes of many then.
by sand4fish
Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The mo-cap actor behind Revolver Ocelot's gun skill:

phpBB [video]

by sand4fish
Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good luck. But whatever the outcome may be, you get to enjoy New York.
by sand4fish
Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

I don't really understand all the complaining. The truth is Ryo and Shenhua have never been given this much visual detail in an official 3D model before ever!
https://s2.postimg.org/w7p5vlc1l/New_RYO_SHENHUA.png

I just hope no one here is going to bombard Yu & Co with incessant pleading about tweaking their looks to please your own version of a perfect Ryo and Shenhua. It's most likely final and it's godamn Yu Suzuki's world to interpret as he pleases. God forbid the man will cave in to fan complaints and start spending time again on supposed wrong art direction instead of the real meat of a game, its gameplay!

Anyway, a PC version will be there for modding so everyone can have their own fan idealized Shenmue world to play with. Win-win to all.
by sand4fish
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

Personally I'm okay with the complaints as long as people don't spread their distaste outside this forum. The game is not even close to hit the shelves and many are already basically trying to "review" aspects of the game beforehand, possibly bringing this doom surrounding S3 by the time it comes out and I bet it will affect the objectivity of critics when they put their hands on the game.
I do see validity in the criticism towards the look of the characters but this is simply unfair. We are talking about art direction here. WIP notwithstanding, this is the vision of the game designer alone and we don't get to partake on that. Besides, let's not forget there's already a fan (or even fans) working for Yu Suzuki, Kid Nocon, so if the problem with the models was a real thing there wouldn't be a need for the rest of us to remind the man of the fact.
by sand4fish
Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Screens + Note From Yu via Playstation Blog

The lighting effects are so unreal! The teaser one was a bit overdone IMO, but if these screenshots are actually the desired direction, then I really thank God we are getting to play Shenmue 3 during our lifetime. Look at that jacket and its dirt and wear, and Ryo's face!

PS. Who's that? Is this a Yu Suzuki cameo?
https://s3.postimg.org/gwndt52pf/Qcbflb_L.jpg
by sand4fish
Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Religion

the Criteria is rather simple as far as Christian theology goes, we are all sinners therefore we all deserve the wrath of god and none deserve to enter paradise, but out of love Jesus was sent to earth to sacrifice himself to take upon himself the wrath of god and absolve us of our sins that we may be purified and enter paradise which is a place of perfection therefore no one who hasn't been cleansed by the blood of Christ may enter as they are still "dirty" by sin.

That's the short version anyway but of course you really need to study in detail both the old and new testament to understand the full picture as it's a very deep philosophical concept.

It would be simple if not for the fact that in order to be saved you have to accept Jesus in your life and we are talking about a just God. Wouldn't it be unfair for those who never even heard of Jesus or have been dead before his sacrifice took place? Are Adam and Eve forever doomed because of an Angel created by God?
Are our salvation a matter of luck in meeting a missionary to learn and accept the Bible and Jesus during our lifespan?
by sand4fish
Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Religion

There are 2 views on this, one that implies that Christ can save people without them knowing and the second that any person that unconsciously wants to be saved like the Centurion Cornelius, god will send them the message.
I'm aware that there's an allure to inclusivism perspective. But I find that view invalidating the need of practicing Christian values and faith during our stay on Earth, when the chance to repent and accept Jesus would come to us anyway eventually (even after death) in that case. After all I'm pretty sure everyone would unconsciously want to be saved, specially by the time they are aware of the existence of a spiritual realm.

No one has actually been judged now so those who followed God until the coming of the Messiah will be saved on judgement day I believe

People are not in hell or heaven yet, but the path for those who never heard of God seems certain if inclusivism does not apply. I'm saying this because there are other views which exclude those who didn't practice Christian faith when alive, as I remember a bible passage that cites that those who shout for God's name will be saved, but how would they call on him if they did not believe in him? And then it goes to how would they believe in him if they never heard of him and someone preaching it to them. Faith comes from hearing through the word of Christ in Christianity.

In the Christian faith nothing actually happens out of luck so it depends what perspective you look at it from. If you're a non-believer then yeah it seems completely irrational and unfair but from a biblical perspective it's much more controlled.

If it's not luck, it has to do with God choosing whom to give the chance to be saved. As an example East Asia would be doomed to hell as Christianity only started being spread there probably centuries after Christ's death. And no amount of missionaries could cover such a large continent even back then (and even now with the likes of the Chinese government basically prohibiting any religious gathering practice and access to information). And could God really blame these people if in their death bed they were praying to other gods when they never heard of Jesus during their lifetime?
by sand4fish
Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic