Search found 199 matches

Return

Re: Reveal Shenmue 3 trailer to backers or public first?

At this point, I only care about the game getting maximum exposure and being as commercially successful as it possibly can. If that means a global public release of the trailer, I'm all for it.

I didn't donate to the Kickstarter to get special treatment or perks (though I am excited about the backer rewards I will be getting), but because I waited 15 years for this game. I donated because I wanted to do everything I possibly could to ensure that the game was made, and made to the highest possible standard.

This is the same reason I was annoyed at folks who were opposed to certain Kickstarter rewards being offered during the slacker backer campaign -- shouldn't we want to cast as wide a net as possible to welcome people into the fold? This is particularly true if the saga isn't meant to end after three games. The more exposure and hype that surrounds it, the better chance we would see future installments, and not be left in limbo again.
by mikec_ct
Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What ~*May*~ Be Coming in December's Kickstarter Update

I wish I had followed your advice on being polite.

I threatened and insulted them and they gave me an alpha of the game, basically spoiled it all.
by shredingskin
Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: To All The Donators of "Shenmue 3" worldwide: Roll Call!

Oh I see...so you belong to those people who only hear what they wanna hear and walk straight out the room after that. Alright I get it. But I will reply to you just this one time again, and after that I'm done with you.

Really... So what's the issue again? That none of us knew that giving more money to the campaign will make it a better game and you just happen to enlighten us with your post?

First of all, where did Yu say Shenmue 3 would be a fully open world game if given $10 Million? Read carefully the AMA post. And what "open world" even entitles to? GTA style? Then Shenmue 1 & 2 must suck to you because it's not open world enough. And why would Yu even be willing to make a Shenmue 3 with a $2 million budget? You were expecting a visual novel? Lol. That's why I said people have weird assumptions, and you just proved that.

I don't exactly know what type of significance the word "fully" has to you or where you think I used it but uhhm....YOU was the one who quoted that statment of Yu I was referring to in the first place! Which says "At 10 Million, it will truly have the features of an open world." Sooooooo.... yeaahhhhh....you know you basically fucked yourself with that comment don't you? xD
And who said it has to be GTV 5 like? You always bring that reference up. I don't even want it to be like Fallout 4. You must think (along a few other people) that he means it will be a HUGE Open World like those games if he hits 10 mill. But what hes saying is that there won't even be a "small" Open World like in the first two games if he don't hit that mark. Because all the money he got right now goes into the story (which is important too of course), but if you play that game just linearly without any optional things like in the first two games (which in some kinda way also contributing to the feeling of the story) it aint Shenmue. So you'll only get a linear game, that just machines of the story parts. Plus he said the graphics will suffer due to the fact that everything at this point goes right into the story. But I dont speak on graphics now.
Oh and about that 2 Million you were talking bout: That only were the minimum for him to even make SOME KIND of Shenmue 3. He could have made a Shenmue 3 with that Money but a shitty one. I mean hey he could have said he needs even less money then we may have gotten ourselfs a 16-bit Shenmue 3 for the genesis, but at least it says "Shenmue 3" right?...Goddammit dont you people ever think before you post something!...He was givin everybody a financial calculation for the project. Just like in every other branch on this earth where projects needs to be financed. And YOU particulary asked him about more details about that financial calculation. And you got an answer. But now you wanna acted like his word ain't shit? "Oh he has to deal with the current money to make it great, he can do it because hes creative" But thats..I said it already, see my previous post.
And besides: I don't really have to tell you how much the first 2 games has cost, don't I? C'mon man, dont make me go this way...

What if Yu gives a new public comment that Shenmue 3 would have ALL the features of an open world and some more (whatever that means) if he only had $20 million at his disposal? Are you going to ask everyone for ONLY $200 more?
You are scoffing at $47 as if every backer is financially able to give out any more than they already did. Of course, asking of others is easy when we don't have to show our own contribution to the cause after all.

And this my dear friend is the perfect proof that you not only dont know shit about shit, but that you are also ignorant as it gets! First of all he won't say any of this dumb shit you posted there because he already made the marks (his calculations that is) clear. If he really would come around the corner after he hits 10 Mill and saying something like this I would clearly say "Fuck You" because I would feel a little bit played. But that aint gonna happen.
Second: So you are basically saying I'm through wit it he has to make it with the money he got yada yada yada...but you are gratefully accepting any small advantage that will be added to the game due to donations from people like anonymous81 and Suzuki Yu, who permanetly donating something. They literatly breaking their back just to make at least a small effort bit by bit. People like this shouldnt even go out of their ways like this, because we could make something big happen All TOGETHER with minimum effort on every site, but NOOOOO people rather running their mouth and being ignorant, but at the same time benefiting without doing shit. So don't hit me with that "Oh you cant ask people for 47 because they cant effort it" and "glad we dont have to show our contributions". You dont even know how much I contributed so stop running your mouth! I'm willing to burn another 500 again for this cause, but this time ONLY if I got enough people with me that doing it with me (with their 47 dollars of course). Soo I suggest you stop accusing others of treatmilling, if you are in fact the one whos is doing it. And this bassically goes for all of you who are thinking the same way. Because you will be the first ones to start bitchig about the final game like crybabies if it didnt live up to your expectations!

PS. About making your old car looking like a Bugatti, here you go . You are welcome.

And you really must have thought you did something to me with that one huh? xD
The only thing you did with that is prooving me right 100%! Thank you so much for this, good Sir!
Because after all: IT ISN'T A REAL BUGGATI!! Someone just dressed it up to LOOK like it, but it ISN'T THE REAL THING! It wont feel and it definatly wont drive like a real one. And anybody whos doing shit like that is a fraud really. But thats none of my Buisness xD

But its all good tho homie. Don't worry: when you start crying how shitty the final game is, I'm there for you. You can lean on my shoulders. I got you on this one. I mean i will laugh at you hard and hit you permanatly with the three magical words "Told You So" but I'll be there for you :heart:

You are incredibly annoying to read.

Also, you are clueless.
by ChiefNeo
Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I shudder to imagine what must have occurred in LeRoi's life to make him so bitter and spiteful on a video game message board.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: I shudder to imagine what must have occurred in LeRoi's life to make him so bitter and spiteful on a video game message board.

Lost his savings and mind over buying a fake Bugatti maybe?
by Monkei
Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've already donated all I can. To subsidize my wanting to donate more, I go to conventions and promote the game to everyone I can.
by shengoro86
Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I'm I the only who has not backed Shenmue III?

Nope, there's approximately seven billion others who didn't back the game either.

Seriously, though, there are probably a few people on here (even less if they're active posters) who didn't back the game, not because they didn't want to, but because of financial issues. I think it's safe to say the majority of active posters, however, did.

Why aren't the other 7 billion backing the game?!

Buncha jagoffs the lot are!

Why can't the other 7 billion people simply pool their money together to come up with the remaining $3.3 million???

3,300,000/ 7,000,000,000= $0.00047 needed per person .

Lazy bums can't be arsed to come up with a less than a tiny fraction of a penny each!!
by SMDzero
Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

To me, the photoshopped face is definitely an indication of proof of concept and intended direction. They're clearly focusing on graphical touches last. Including the character models. I know that's what we all want to see because the characters are so beloved and them feeling right is so very important to us as fans. But in practical reality, imho at least, that's the last thing they should be focusing on if they're only now exiting R&D and testing as they said in this update.

I followed Dreamfall Chapters' development as well, and Zoe's character model and face and hair were super controversial and took forever to be finalized. Everyone nitpicked just like they have been here (which is everyone's prerogative and totally understandable - I'm not telling anyone not to) but... it really does take a lower priority at this stage than getting systems and mechanics and the design doc right. That's what will ensure they are on track to hitting their milestones and getting the product they envision out the door eventually.

Graphics are important to us because they are the only thing we can see that isn't just an abstraction - they are in many respects, for us, what the game IS. But to Ys, there are more important things to tackle right now. I really don't think they're going to photoshop a face on there... and then release something that doesn't measure up to that vision. They're not stupid, or intentionally disingenuous imo.

But again, to each their own reaction.
by Anonymous81
Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's a fact that there are a lot of wrong things in the temple screen. Random generated mountains, no bump mapping, ugly 2D vegetation, low res texture. Even the lightning is pretty generic, like if a student played with the saturation sliders of UE4.

This feels overly critical and hyperbolic to me especially for a game that just left pre-production.

You guys should listen to the post above. This is coming from Himuro after all, who has been over critical on the project so far. ;-)

Hey, give me a break. :( I've only been critical after the psx no show.
by Himuro
Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fuck the haters and the negativity.

Merry Christmas Yu, make the best game you can.
by Shenhua-Nani?
Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 2 - Game Informer Super Replay

My favorite reaction so far

by Yokosuka
Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nothing huge, but I did notice the boxes under a table in a shot were temporary placeholder assets from Shenmue II.

by Spaghetti
Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1.. a mostly optional affair?

Games are optional you fourteen-fingered pleb.
by MiTT3NZ
Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best Games of 2016

I bought very few games in 2016.

For me, those I loved were (and I know one on this list will provoke enormous criticism but... I can't change what I like no matter how weird it makes me lol):

5. Dreamfall Chapters. I refused to play it until all chapters were complete. It had its issues, but as the likely final entry in a series I have always loved, it was worth the wait for me.

4. Stardew Valley. Best Harvest Moon game that isn't a Harvest Moon game since the original Harvest Moon game imo. :P

3. Earth Defense Force 4.1 on PC. I am hopelessly addicted to the EDF series, and while nothing will ever match the first time I 100%ed EDF 2017, this game is just oodles of endless EDF content and I adore it.

2. Doom 2016. Most fun I've had in a single player first person shooter since Serious Sam. Absolutely loved it, played just the campaign alone for 80+ hours.

1. No Man's Sky. (Yeah, I know.) I won't expound on this other than to say I'm 115 hours into it and still loving it so... just chalk it up to me being bizarre lol.

Honorable mention: Trillion: God of Destruction.
by Anonymous81
Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bad idea in my opinion. You already have the digest and Shenmue: The Movie if they really wanted to truncate the story of the first game. Moreover, kickstarter stretch goals associated with a brief catch-up on the first two games have already been hit, so that is yet another way people can just brush up quickly.

If you're going to package these games together for actual playing, then you should do it right. Why even bother buying a collection with the first two games if you're just going to have a way to skip through the first game? That makes no sense at all.
by SlySpy
Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Happy Holidays.

Whatever you may celebrate (or nothing at all) I hope you're warm, healthy, safe, happy, and - unless you want to be - not alone. Take care!
by Anonymous81
Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Part Three! YS Interview + images [DenFamiNicoGamer 26 Dec]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit (Feb 1, 2017) :
Part Three of the interview translation is now ready.

Read the translated article here on the Phantom River Stone blog:
Part One: http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/12/yu-suzuki-interview-part-1.html
Part Two: http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/01/yu-suzuki-katsuhiro-harada-interview.html
Part Three: http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/02/yu-suzuki-katsuhiro-harada-interview.html
Part Four: Coming soon
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A glimpse of a new illustration for Shenmue III plus some original images / documents from the days of working on "Virtua Fighter RPG" / Shenmue I & II.

These are from a new Japanese-language interview with Yu Suzuki & Katsuhiro Harada (from the Tekken series) published online at denfaminicogamer.jp.

Regarding an English translation of the Shenmue-related parts of the article, I am working on this and will post up a separate thread about it once ready.

For now, here are the Shenmue-related images from the article:

Shenmue III: Yu showing Tulou illustration
http://i.imgur.com/xKgKn6s.jpg

"Ren's hideout"
http://i.imgur.com/6MpzCny.jpg

"Pier at Langhuishan"
http://i.imgur.com/yrrcIkk.jpg

"Shelves at Tomato Convenience Store"
http://i.imgur.com/xEFglpu.jpg

"Suspension bridge"
http://i.imgur.com/81gT6IT.jpg

"Interior of Hong Kong restaurant"
http://i.imgur.com/0VyMrry.jpg

"Aberdeen"
http://i.imgur.com/TBj1Bds.jpg

"Hong Kong: Bird Street"
http://i.imgur.com/olmFaUD.jpg

"Part Time Job: Breaking Tiles" [translated version]
http://i.imgur.com/USrnUIb.png

”Fishing” [translated version]
http://i.imgur.com/rq3k7Rz.jpg

"Washing spot" [translated version]
http://i.imgur.com/v3Q5B3G.jpg

"Interior of the Yuki Dojo"
http://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/SCAN00801.jpeg

Article source: http://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/projectbook/virtua_fighter
by Switch
Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Shenmue I/I/III images [Dec 26 interview]

sand4fish wrote: Oh there's also a concept art for the the Hazuki Dojo

Ah, must have skipped it, thanks. I'll add it to the OP.

sand4fish wrote: *Note the Shenmue name was not even there yet (left lower corner)

Yes, and in fact it is even labelled as the "Yuki Dojo" i.e. the family name of Akira Yuki.
by Switch
Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 4Gamer.net Yu Suzuki Interview

*As Japanese is not my forte, I'll not attempt to translate the questions and answers word by word (Switch or Axm can absolutely do a better job than me).
Not at all - you're being too modest! Great job.

I've just put up a direct translation on my blog, so I'll just the link here in case anyone is interested - but all the points are already in sand4fish's translation above.
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/12/yu-suzuki-comments-on-past-coming-year.html
by Switch
Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Interstellar

I barely heard about it when it was new, and just got around to watching it last night. I think my expectations were a little too high, but it was still enjoyable and the cinematography was excellent. The ending was a total cop out though; I found it far too predictable and unfulfilling.
by Mr357
Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well, I guess I'll be plunking down the $3.99 to rent The Grandmaster & $4.99 to rent Reign of Assassins on Amazon Prime. :D

Also... is he just a fan in general of billiards and table tennis? Or can we expect those to show up in the game? :D

Thanks for the excellent translations, both of you.
by Anonymous81
Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks for translating this!

The Grandmaster,huh... I hope the game won't end up full of slo-mo scenes, really dislike that shit.
by Rikitatsu
Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

sand4fish wrote:I was really stressed out about getting the exact meaning behind his words wrong.

:) I know what you mean, it's a bit of a mixture of art and science to try to read the intention behind the words.
by Switch
Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

He's just saying that in the first game the lack of being able to wait forced him to discover what the game had to offer while in the second one he would give in to his impatience due to being given the choice. I don't think he is saying it has to be that way or that you can't just ignore the wait option given the choice just that it's difficult for him to do so changing the experiemce for him.
by south carmain
Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Didn't get a thread of its own because of the briefness, but Yu Suzuki's New Years Resolution for 2017, via Famitsu and translated by Switch.

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/12/yu-suzukis-new-year-resolution-dec-29.html

2017 is clearly going to be pedal to the metal time at YSnet.
by Spaghetti
Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SHENMUE GAIDEN: CHRISTMAS EVENT

What's up people,

Let's end 2016 on a high.

Today, i bring you another Shenmue Visual novel inspired by the festive season.

http://i.imgur.com/FNxZc0N.png

This is a short game that I created over the last week. I was originally going to release this on Christmas day, but was unable to due to some game breaking bugs. That and ive been working like a madman over the holidays, so i haven't had much time at all. Got there in the end though, so all its all good.

Keep in mind, this game is very lighthearted and fun and is not suppose to be taken seriously. Sit back, enjoy and have a good time.

http://i.imgur.com/cVIzoEH.png

http://i.imgur.com/nRPU24j.png

You've been invited to a Christmas party in Dobuita by your old friend Fuku-san. Upon arriving, you agree to help with the party preparations. A mysterious figure watches you from the shadows. It's up to you and Santa to #saveshenmuechristmas

http://i.imgur.com/6bi3dUm.png

One major difference you'll notice between this and the last game is that YOU are the player. Once you arrive in Dobuita, the game will ask you to enter your name. From that point on, all NPCS and character will refer to you by your actual name.

http://i.imgur.com/S7AyfkI.png

http://i.imgur.com/3uTQuaK.png

http://i.imgur.com/P2uIdnE.png

Like all great games, there will be various choices to choose from when interacting with characters. Each one giving a different response. Choose wisely

http://i.imgur.com/LVBmLHQ.png

http://i.imgur.com/ii8cqnu.png

--The game is played by simply clicking the mouse on the screen once a character finishes speaking
--Choose from the various choices to affect the game's direction.
-- Left click continues
-- Right click opens up the option menu
--- Play in fullscreen for desired effect

http://i.imgur.com/2TbgVKs.png

http://i.imgur.com/PSOxpcR.png

Do not skip transitions or click at a fast pace due to impatience. The game has a deliberate pace. At some points you may think the game is hanging or taking long to load. If this happens, an event is about to occur. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Also play in full screen.

http://i.imgur.com/BkWIsBS.png

http://i.imgur.com/4MBqfkm.png

1) First install the Arlrdbd font. Download here http://www.fontsupply.com/fonts/A/Arlrdbd.html

Unzip font

Windows XP Font Install:
Drag arlrdbd.ttf into C:\Windows\Fonts - The font will automatically install.

- Windows 7/Vista Font Install:
Right click arlrdbd.ttf and then click "Install".

2)Download the game using the link below.

3) Extract file and open the main file (.exe file)

4) Enjoy

http://i.imgur.com/ln6LFTh.png

Due to a limited amount of time, i was unable to address all the bugs and glitches in the game. I'll fix them at a later date. You may run into the following issues.

Extra large menu choices - Sometimes, the menus appear stretched for some odd reason. If this happens to you, restart the game.

Sound lowers by itself - At certain points of the game, the sound will lower. I noticed this on my desktop but not my laptop. If this happens, raise the volume on your speaker.

Menus - Some menu buttons are not functioning as they should. Will be updated at a later date.

I've managed to find good consistent results with the game using the following settings.

http://i.imgur.com/w0ylkW4.png

Other issues

I need to clean up some of the portraits, adjust the voice clips to sound more consistent and not super loud.

Also, apologies, i still need to proof read the game. Will do so soon.

I also left some save files in the game. Dont load them if you have not already finished the game

If you come across any other issues, please let me know

http://i.imgur.com/BAAAXNF.png

Here it is people. This is my Christmas present to all you. Wish I had more time to work on the project, but i'll be busy for the next month or so.

Let me know what you think and post any bugs or issues you encounter.

DOWNLOAD

http://tinyurl.com/j2rlhhx

Thanks alot and have a wonderful new year.

Best wishes

http://i.imgur.com/EEbBGBd.png
by ShenSun
Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PAYPAL SUPPORT FOR SHENMUE 3 NOW LIVE!

So I've got some funds after my mother passed away so I transfered alot of it on my savings account.
Then I thought "you know, after a really shitty christmas i'm gonna treat myself." So I bought a new phone (because my current has deteriated performance) and well I still had 400 bucks leftover.
Then I thought:" mm might as well support shenmue 3 again and get me that trial version." so I ordered it.
So with 300 to spare I trained my eye on the Nintendo switch when it comes out next year, welp never mind that because I got the signed edition of shenmue 3 too. You know what? I feel alot better now!
Ps:
I didn't forget the dojo and what you guy's have given me so expect some periodic donations aswell.
by Coromasta
Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Guardian: The 42 most anticipated video games of 2017

Shenmue III makes the Guardian's list of the most anticipated video games of 2017:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/04/video-games-2017-guide?CMP=fb_gu

Shenmue 3 (Neilo/Ys Net; PC/PS4)

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/f800f61628df018dcd7f17d60ce647b8ccb1133f/80_0_1200_720/master/1200.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=a17ef24c424ab5968e761de2a36d2cd8

Sony almost broke the internet when this long-awaited close to Yu Suzuki’s adventure trilogy was announced at E3 in 2015. Following a total of $6m raised through crowdfunding, the game is hopefully on track for release late this year, following vengeful hero Ryo Hazuki to China where he continues the hunt for his father’s killer, Lan Di. But can it really live up to all that wild expectation?
Release: December

Good stuff!
by Jibby
Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

Good luck. After trying to learn Japanese I decided fuck it, in just gonna learn more swear words in English.
by Peter
Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why are today's game players so negative?

Because misanthropy, outrage, and trollishness are now the new normal in all areas of life, not just on the internet. It's just most prominent in online gaming discussions imo (present company excepted 99% of the time) because for some reason, gaming discussions have always incited enormous defensiveness and factionalism.

But yeah, it's everywhere. Look at the political climate. Look at any discussion, anywhere, about anything, online. It's disheartening and worrying, but there's little we can do about it sadly.

I also think the internet has changed how people communicate in not always healthy ways. It's cliche to say it, but interesting sociologically and psychologically, that people will say things to one another - and more pertinently, THINK In ways about one another - that they never would face to face.

The lack of nuance, social cues, body language, tone of voice etc. seems to make people online default to the worst possible, most defensive attitude toward absolutely everything anyone says. And the gamification of everything - likes, dislikes, followers, etc. trying to establish a digital presence - seems to encourage a territorial response in people. Like, this comment/webpage/account is my turf, and I want to get likes for it and if I get dislikes or people attack my turf, I have to defend it etc. (Not me personally, but it seems this dynamic happens constantly.)

I used to think the internet, because it connects the world, would be the greatest facilitator of better communication between different views and ideologies ever created. Now... I'm not so sure. Sometimes I fear it's fundamentally altering how people think about and empathize with one another.

There's a more benign, but still worrying, side to this too, though. Because it's mostly text on a screen, when people express concerns or criticisms of a thing/person/product/position/whatever, it gets default interpreted as an utter rejection or disdaining of its target, even if the reality is that there's a more nuanced opinion beneath the words that would read in person - because of tone of voice and other cues - more like, "I have these criticisms, but I'm not totally negative towards it either." Essentially, people just assume the worst, and then get defensive.

Second to lastly, some of it is also just that people are more conscious consumers now, and more aware of their own interests and needs, with many more options at their disposal. They also have more information about the history of a company and have more of an ability to play armchair analyst (and this happens with everything - people think they're authorities on everything now after reading about it for an hour on the internet) and so they're more cautious and wary and less willing to simply trust corporations whose job it is, ultimately, to extract money from them.

And lastly... while I dislike the word "entitled" and think it gets thrown around way too much... there is also just an element that we've all grown up for generations now without a world war, with declining rates of disease, longer life spans, supermarkets filled with prepackaged foods, and advanced technology at our fingertips and in our pockets that our ancestors couldn't even dream of in their wildest imaginings. In short... yeah, we're slightly spoiled and aren't always mindful of that or as grateful as we could be for what we have imo.

I think all of the above plays into the sense that everything is so damn contentious and filled with consternation and venom all the time online. But I also think that perception, likewise, is a product of us assuming the worst. I think things are actually less dire than we might assume based on the surface image it might give, again, because of the text on a screen + anonymity vs face to face dynamic.

For instance... I'm hyped as hell for Nintendo Switch and have one preordered. But I bet based on my lengthy posts about concerns I have about it, many would assume I must hate the thing and can never be satisfied. I think a lot of it is just that disconnect between thought, text, and real human interaction.
by Anonymous81
Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why are today's game players so negative?

A hundred years ago we would be complaining about awful and unsafe working conditions, limited heat, limited food etc. These days we have all of these things. So now we complain about the imperfections and curious design choices in our games instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4yDVKidRqA

Sonic is very serious business.
by Sonikku
Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Nearly pissed myself when I watched this.

phpBB [video]
by myshtuff
Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Taking care of your health while gaming.

I'm generally an extremely health conscious person, because I have a ton of health issues and if I don't monitor and manage them constantly, I end up really sick. That said... I'm also human, and as a human sometimes I do very blatantly stupid things.

Ten days ago, I got really sucked into one of those super grindy games that takes hours to accomplish anything in. When gaming, I tend to always get up and walk around every hour, stretch, do ankle circles, etc. to ensure good blood flow. But on this one occasion... despite having the nagging thought that I should get up... I just didn't. Worse still, I was exhausted after the game, and went straight to bed. That's a lot of hours of being sedentary.

The next morning, I woke up with terrible pain my right calf. I tried to feel for what was wrong, and immediately felt a rock harm lump that was so painful I couldn't even touch it. I started to move around and found that my calf was extremely tight. I began looking up the symptoms of a blood clot or DVT. I found many, many stories like mine.

Still, I tried to hope for the best. I had been walking more and doing a lot of calf raises during workouts, so perhaps it was a muscle strain from a few days back that simply hadn't manifested until now. After 9 days, it was still there, although the pain was somewhat less. It wasn't warm to the touch, red, etc. and there was no edema (diffuse swelling that pits when you press.) So I still thought, surely this can't be a clot. But... it just isn't going away despite rest and ice and stretching.

Then I read online countless stories of people who never had more frank symptoms - just a knot and pain like mine - and turned out to have clots. Even the ER docs they saw insisted they didn't, but ultrasound revealed they did. I decided not to chance it, and went to the ER yesterday.

After hours waiting, my calf had swollen considerably larger than the left, which really worried me. "Damn. There's the swelling," I thought to myself. They examined me thoroughly, and said I did the right thing by coming in, because it definitely could be a clot. They were so sure it might be, they forewent a blood test called D-dimer that is usually used to establish the likelihood of a clot before spending money on imaging, and went straight to the ultrasound.

They looked very thoroughly and... thank GOD... I did not have a clot. Instead, I have a somewhat uncommon form of hernia called a fascial hernia due to what is known as chronic lateral exertional compression syndrome. Not at all serious, just painful. They don't really even treat it other than with pain control and physical therapy.

So great is my relief and joy that I'm okay, and so intense was my fear prior to that, I just thought I'd remind my fellow gamers:

Always get up every hour and move around. And if you're on long flights or sitting for any reason longer than an hour, constantly move your toes, ankles, etc. And get up when you can. And as often as you can, elevate your feet (above your heart, it you can.)
by Anonymous81
Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

I can't get the paranoia out of my head now though. It's planted in there every time I take a puff. See how these tablets go and fingers crossed that's me sorted. Also hope it sorts my snoring out since it drives her nuts.
by Peter
Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Samurai Boy Saga: 1986 (A Shenmue rock opera)

Bump!

The project is now completed and will be ready for release soon!

In the meantime, here is one of the tracks from the album. Ryo and Nozomi's rock ballad 'An Amulet of Acquiesce'

Music video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTH-4t3xzmM

For higher sound quality, to download the track or simply view the lyrics and other info, head on over to BandCamp:
https://andyhughesmusic.bandcamp.com/track/an-amulet-of-acquiesce

Hope you guys dig it :D
by Andy Hughes
Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Last Guardian

I always get the impression that the game started as a really loose concept; sort of like Ueda and his team threw a random idea at the wall, said "what the hell," and just started working without having a super-tight plan in place. And to me, I think that's ultimately the most impressive thing about the game; the fact that it very, very easily could have ended up as a total mess, but instead ended up as this creative, touching little piece of interactive storytelling. The looseness actually adds to its sense of uniqueness. It feels fluid and natural. Trico's AI starts to show its seams a bit closer to the end (as you start to recognize the specific ways he reacts to things), but that doesn't damage the weird sense of wonder you get through the rest of the game as he displays that he practically has a mind of his own, and isn't just a tool that the player orders around.

That being said, as much as I loved the game, I personally don't think it's Ueda's best. Despite having a good amount of emotional impact and all that, it just never felt quite as... I dunno, artistic as his others. Too much narration, too much literal exposition/cutscenes. While his other games had an odd feeling of being like interactive poetry -- where you truly have to glean the details for yourself through visual/audio/environmental clues (making it so that interpretation of the story may vary from person to person) -- this one just feels like a sweet little fairytale. A straightforward story with little to no personal interpretation necessary. That's not a bad thing, that's just what I took away from it. This could almost be a Disney movie, given a bit of extra dialogue.
I personally think Shadow of the Colossus still takes the cake as Ueda's best. A novel concept, a tighter structure, a story whose details are more open for discussion, and, most important of all, just a greater sense of fun than either of the others. SotC is just a blast to play, while TLG seemed like it would be a bit of a slog to replay immediately. Plus, it's got Agro; maybe not as cute and fluffy as Trico, but still an AI companion you can easily gain an attachment to.
by OL
Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Jesus, the animations in Ghost Trick are so great. Based on 3D models, I'm sure, but these are still impressive for 2D sprites. Inspector Cabanela always makes me crack a smile.

http://oi65.tinypic.com/2njbt34.jpg

It's a rare case, but I'm actually disappointed I didn't play this closer to its release. I wouldn't call it underrated (because the reviews seem to love it, so the ratings are just fine), but man, still feels like a game that ought to have more talk behind it, even seven years on as we are now. Really ought to have achieved "classic" status, but it remains totally obscure.
by OL
Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Playing it on the PS4 Pro, I never found issues with frame-rate. It was rock solid and Digital Foundry points to some upgrade in ambient lighting and overall sharpness to which I would say I did notice how especially brilliant the lighting and sharpness was especially during sun-set in the latter half of the game.

That must be nice. Vanilla PS4, the game kind of chugs for most of its runtime. It doesn't hurt it much (it's beautiful otherwise, like you said), but it would have been nice to see everything run a little more solidly.

Just beat Ghost Trick on the DS. It's been years since I really felt the compulsion to keep playing a graphic adventure, but this one made me stick with it. Inventive concept/setup, clever puzzles, fun characters, awesome animation (particularly considering the platform), and a surprisingly great story.
The story itself does start to show its seams a bit near the end; once you hit the final chapter, there is a bit of an air about it that feels like Shu Takumi had written himself into a corner of sorts, and consequently had to come up with something a little too convoluted in order to explain it away.
All the same, knowing this guy's work, he probably wrote the story within the span of a year roundabouts, and that's some impressive work regardless. Lots of twists and turns here, and despite the cartoony style, it still manages to make you give a shit about its characters. Really good stuff, endearing as hell.
It also features another one to add to my personal list of the greatest dogs in gaming.
Missile. That lovable little bastard.
http://oi65.tinypic.com/xlw6mf.jpg
And even though the game was unfortunately never quite as successful as it should have been, the story still ends in such a way that it's completely self-contained. No cliffhangers or loose ends. And if there's almost no chance of a followup, then the lack of loose ends is a blessing all on its own.
by OL
Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

What a tease! They shipped my stuff separately. So the game and accessories arrived today, Switch is scheduled for tomorrow morning.
by Raithos
Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nintendo Switch

Well, I have to say, it's doing a lot of really elegant and beautiful things from a sheer mechanical standpoint in my personal opinion at least.

Combining the emergent gameplay of physics and an open world with typical Nintendo mechanical acumen is a beautiful thing imo. Replacing the traditional Zelda dungeons with physics based puzzles that involve complex manipulations of the entire structure to solve is really ingenious to me.

Being able to experiment physically with absolutely everything in this massive open world, set fires that create updrafts, cook, dye, craft armor on a rudimentary level, etc. as well as the level of difficulty (some of the bosses are brutal... like, sincerely Dark Souls brutal... and there are other things I won't spoil that make the game a cruel mistress in terms of completion,) make this a definite departure for the series.

It's also the most varied feeling Zelda in terms of atmosphere and game systems I've seen so far. And I've played them all. And... It's easily the most ambitious game Nintendo has ever produced imo. And that's NOT hyperbole.

Greatest ever? Ehh... probably not for me. Its continued narrative simplicity (which I actually find charming and expect from a Zelda game, but still,) lack of at least a few more traditional dungeon designs (I always thought Zelda's dungeons were some masterful level design, and I miss that somewhat,) and frame rate issues keep it from earning that title from me.

But best Zelda game ever? That remains to be seen, I have to get 60+ hours under my belt first to declare that. But so far, for me? Yeah, it's shaping up that way. Surpasses Ocarina for me, so far. Something I never thought I would say, because for that to be true, a game has to overcome what Ocarina felt like to me back then, at that age, during the 2D to 3D transition which... I never thought would happen.

But for me, this MAY be my new favorite Zelda of all time. It's that impressive, and that much of a seismic shift in game design for Nintendo. The freedom and sense of magic and wonder are amazing to me.

It's much more than the sum of its parts, and much more than simply Zelda crammed into an open world formula. It's done in a very inimitible "Nintendo" way.

IMHO.
by Anonymous81
Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://i.imgur.com/0hN2eLc.jpg

No money for a Switch sadly so the special edition will just be a pretty box for the collection for the time being. I am dismayed however that Best Buy would callously slap a huge bar code sticker on the side of the box that peeled some of the print off when removed despite my being extremely gentle with it.

http://i.imgur.com/EfzhYpb.jpg

I had originally configured the special edition to be an in store pick up fearing a dirt cheap mailing envelope utterly mangling the box in transit, but it seems as though Best Buy managed to defile it anyway. There is no more stock at this point sadly so replacement is impossible; it is a refund or nada. The people who got the Master Edition from Best Buy reported it got mailed in a very large protective outer box with air padding and everything. Wish I'd known. :(
by Sonikku
Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://oi66.tinypic.com/2up7k2x.jpg
http://oi68.tinypic.com/qxvxgm.jpg
http://oi68.tinypic.com/wl3beu.jpg

Owlboy was a gift from my brother on Steam for my recent-ish birthday. Was wanting it for a long time, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.
With Legend of Legacy, it was surprising to see that the excellent launch edition was still available in some places for the same price it started as. I really liked the hour or so I played of the demo.
Malicious Fallen is beautiful. Feels a bit silkier than the previous Vita release as well.

Still, can't really tackle any of these fully yet, since I'm still backlogged with Nioh, Gravity Rush 2 (I still haven't finished that? For shame), and Yakuza 0. And then the new Styx is coming out in a week. And Nioh's first DLC is out this month. And for some reason I started playing Infinite Space again.
by OL
Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Religion

So, I made a thread a few months ago about how I feel like I'm a bad person.

I've been an atheist for nearly ten years now, and a lot has happened to make me realize the ethical poverty that is secularism. I'm not saying you need to be religious to be a good person or anything, but pretty much all the atheists I know (including me) are misanthropic and just not pleasant to be around. I've also been the type of atheist who believes the atheism absence philosophy is dire and hollow. The older I got, the more my anti-theism crumbled into a mockery of its former self and by the time I turned 30 I realized how important religion is to people's lives and its value to humanity.

For a long time, I have seeked truth. I've explored various religions and philosophies and nothing ever really stuck. But in the past few months or so I've been desperately missing the faith of my birth: Christianity. For a solid 19 years of my life Christianity was a big part of it and I missed it. Contrary to popular belief, I didn't leave the church because I had a bad experience.

So again, the past few months I've been working on righting my wrongs and trying to become a better person - someone that people would like to be around and is pleasant to talk to. I've been slowly undoing my negative outlook on life and started to open my heart again to the possibility of finding religion again.

Something happened the other day though. You could call it a coincidence but it felt too on the nose to be a coincidence, so after hours and hours of thinking I deduced that it was destiny. Ever since, I've been researching Christianity and trying to find intellectual rebuttals to my atheistic claims and questions. I'm starting to find that they don't really stand to scrutiny. I went to the church yesterday and talked to a priest. I prayed for God to place himself into my heart and that my heart was finally open for him again. I wasn't sure what I believed but I figured that it was worth a shot. If God doesn't exist, then I live my life as I did previously. But if God exists, then I could gain joy and spiritual fulfillment. In the end, it didn't matter and I had nothing to lose. I recall crying tears (joy? sadness?) while I prayed. It felt like something open a salve in my spiritual heart and love just pored through. Today I went to mass and cried twice. Once during a song and once during a prayer. I distinctly remember thinking that no philosophy that I've read could explain that feeling.

Right now I'm standing here not sure if I'm an atheist anymore and will be taking classes to become Catholic starting next month. I have so many questions about God/Jesus and I fully plan on having them answered sufficiently. I still have doubts, misgivings. But the doubts and misgivings don't outweigh the feeling I have when I pray in that chapel.
by Himuro
Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nintendo Switch

Well I had an eventful night. After being hounded by Guardians and running like a little girl I reached a point where I was being zealously chased by TWO. They were too close for me to possibly have any hope of dodging their ultimate attack and sure enough they BOTH started charging up their dreaded death laser with me locked in their sights. I was silently screaming I'M DEAD I'M DEAD I'M SO F$%ING DEAD when suddenly the first death beam goes off from the guardian in the rear and obliterates the one directly behind me a mere instant before its own beam went off! Line of sight FTW! Even with the first one down the one in the rear still likely spelled my doom. I barely made it to a wall and quickly burned all my energy leaping to the top of it before it could fire a second time. With my heart pounding, I reflected on my quasi achievement;

I KILLED A GUARDIAN well kind of.
by Sonikku
Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic