Search found 758 matches

Return

Re: Making of Shenmue

Thank you for taking the time to painstakingly translate everything for us Switch :)
by C..
Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks a lot Switch, for giving us all an opportunity to enjoy it. Thanks to all involved.
by DreamcastPast
Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BlueMue's Shenmue videos

Worked on this for a while as it was the most searching, editing and juggling around with voice files I ever did.
Was well worth the effort though. It's just too much fun to carry the crates like this.

phpBB [video]
by BlueMue
Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks for everyone's positive feedback to the team on the video captions.

Mate, you deserve every kudos you get for this work, translating/subbing/timing is extremely time consuming. You do it pro bono for the love of Shenmue and the community, yourself Ziming and many other postive contributors in the Shenmue community magnify a deeper appreciation of "What's Shenmue?" around the world. So thank you! =D>

One new thing I learned was that the number of channels on the Dreamcast's sound chip was driven by the requirements from Suzuki for Shenmue. It just shows the influence that he had in SEGA at that time.

Yeah, he really is boss, demanding hardware to suit his magnum opus.

One funny thing about the original Japanese voiceover is that the actual names of any companies or products are never spoken - instead they are shown in text on the screen. Even "Shenmue" is never mentioned directly. So for example Yamaha becomes "a large firm that manufactures musical instruments" and so on, leading to some amusingly round-about descriptions.

It's such a freakingly annoying Japanese characteristic to "beat around the bush" without getting to the point, but having said that since it's such a cultural accepted norm, there is much unspoken empathy in Japanese culture that many westerners won't understand and appreciate too.
by fittersau
Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki in China promoting Shenmue 3 (Video Included)

So, I'm gonna try to give you guys a rough translation of the video. Note: I'm translating what the Chinese guy is saying, maybe somebody can translate directly from Japanese, from what Yu is saying.

So in the beginning he says "The sun changes, it can set and so on."

Later he says "We are only showing a part at this exhibition. We are currently implementing rain and snow."

Then at the part, where the Da Yuan Appartments music kicks in, he says: "Even more realistic... This is the first time we are showing any of this to the public. It is running very slowly on this PC now but actually it is very fluent."

Then at the end he says something like "Has everybody seen that person? Is anyone thinking about - what was her name? - Ine-San!"

Well, I'm not a native speaker in Chinese or Japanese, but this is as good as I can do. Maybe some native speakers can do it more precisely, but better than nothing I guess. :mrgreen:
by Hyo Razuki
Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've added in English captions onto the video .

For the Chinese parts I've used the translation provided by Hyo Razuki.

Thanks for the translation. Hah, I just noticed Ine-san in the door-frame at the end! :P Wonder if that was a model made by Kid Nocon during his Shenmue HD remake time? Will be nostalgic calling the Hazuki Residence and being able to talk to her and Fuku-san.
by Amir
Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tried to translate this screen as well as I can (can barely read some parts due to quality) :

http://s29.postimg.org/41i6cs493/translate_1.jpg

Info :

*江の支流、**山をの*たところにある山村

民家 (FR : Résidence privée / EN : Private house) ** 戸 ** 寺

村人 (FR : Villageois / EN : Villagers)

大人 (FR : Adultes / EN : Adults) * * 人 ((FR : Personnes / EN : People)  
子供 (FR : Enfants / EN : Children) * * 人

過去のフラッシュバック (FR : Flashback du passé / EN : Past Flashback)

白鹿村へ向かう山道 (FR : Sentier de montagne qui mène au village Bailu / EN : Mountain path leading to Bailu village)

白鹿村 入口 (FR : Entrée du village Bailu / EN : Bailu village entrance)

白鹿村 探索 (FR : Village Bailu - Investigation, recherche - / EN : Bailu village - Inquiry, investigation)

蚩尤門の情報 NA (FR : Information concernant les Chiyoumen / EN : Information about Chiyoumen)

*の情報 NA (FR : Information concernant * / EN : Information about *)

*19時 *マップチェンジ (FR : Changement de la carte à 19h / EN : Map changing at 7PM)

*23時30分 F.O ー F.I 莎花の家 (FR : Maison de Shenhua à 23h30 / EN : Shenhua's house at 11:30PM)

順不動

EV*****************

EV 古寺 技伝授 (FR : Temple Initiation aux techniques / EN : Temple Moves Initiation)

EV 絵馬寺 (FR : Temple Ema / EN : Ema (Shinto))

EV 国際テレカ (FR : Carte téléphonique / EN : Phone card)

EV 釣り (FR : La pêche / EN : Fishing)

PC **********
Q XX ********
PC ******** F.O

2kmx2km

順不動

EV 燕 (FR : Hirondelle(s) / EN : A swallow)

EV 石跳び (FR : Sauts de pierre en pierre (à vérifier) / EN : Jumping from a stone to another (like the first trailer where Ryo and Shenhua were jumping))

EV 鹿(救済)(FR : Cerf, biche (Secours, assistance) / EN : A Deer (help/relief)

泉探し (FR : Recherche d'une source/fontaine / EN : Searching for a spring/fountain)

山道 (FR : Sentier de montagne / EN : A mountain path)

森のメイズ (FR : Labyrinthe de la forêt / EN : Forest maze)
by DEVILLE_David
Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've guessed some parts in the spoiler:

Edit : Added one suggestion at the end.

Tried to translate this screen as well as I can (can barely read some parts due to quality) :

http://s29.postimg.org/41i6cs493/translate_1.jpg

Info :

漓 江の支流、 狼回 山をの*たところにある山村

民家 (FR : Résidence privée / EN : Private house) ** 戸  鐘楼  寺

袁 の情報 NA (FR : Information concernant * / EN : Information about 袁(Shenhua's stepfather) *)

PC **********
Q  鐘楼  ********
PC ******** F.O

EV 熊(?) (FR : Hirondelle(s) / EN : A bear ) ( *Not really sure, but it'll make more sense, isn't it? )

EV 石跳び (FR : Sauts de pierre en pierre (à vérifier) / EN : Jumping from a stone to another (like the first trailer where Ryo and Shenhua were jumping))
by Kiyuu
Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks Kiyuu and Switch ! It makes sense now. Still think that the missing ??? is Iwao. But would need a better picture.
Thank you for your dedication. I'd forgotten to include one suggestion, so I've added it to the spoiler in my previous post.

Thanks ! 熊 makes more sense indeed. Think I'll try to edit it.

Edit : updated

http://s22.postimg.org/z1xu16xdd/translate_1_donee.jpg
by DEVILLE_David
Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cédric Biscay : Monaco Hebdo and modogameur.fr interviews

Monaco Hebdo interview
http://www.monacohebdo.mc/16513-shibuya-productions-leve-plus-de-6-millions-de-dollars

"I made a lot of advisory work in video gaming and animation because they are interesting sectors for me. My idea has always been to create my own contents."

"Shibuya is the name of the most busy place of Tokyo so the most cosmopolitan. We know that Japanese people are not that attracted by the international. But Shibuya is a neighbourhood where a lot of things happen. And we work a lot with Japan. That's why I wanted to associate this image with my company."

"I moved to Monaco because the Principality is pretty well-known in the world, especially in the US. It's also much easier to meet decision-makers in Monaco where the network is rich and tight at the same time. In Japan, the Principality is especially known for the Formula One, its luxury goods and tourism. "

"We work also on 26 Astroboy episodes of 26 minutes each. The name will be Astroboy Reboot"

"We are a young company. But in 2014, we will be the company which made Shenmue and Astroboy Reboot. Thus, the eyes turned towards us will be more interested. But starting off with these two big releases (Astroboy is planned for september 2017), we earn reputation and reliability. And a lot of time."

"The real revenue will be in two years. If all goes well, it should be around 5 million euros."

"The network is the origin of everything. This is what makes possible all we're doing. Since 15 years, I build my network in Japan."

"To raise confidence, you need time. In Japan, there is a lot of codes you have to comply. My chance is that, very often, people get bored and look for China instead... where they usually fail. It's been 10 years since we talk about China as almost an Eldorado. But who really managed to establish itself in China ?"

"I played a lot of games, especially Japanese games. Shenmue had a deep impact on me. I spent sleepless nights on it. There was also Shenmue 2. But with the Dreamcast disappearance, Shenmue III never happened.

"I don't know how to draw, nor write a story or a program, neither animate... However, I know how to connect people and generate a network, especially in these sectors."

Shibuya Prod work with 4 employees. The company's role is to outsource its productions, notably in Japan, Bulgaria, United States and France. To fund a project, convince co-producers is needed. These co-producers are usually studios that employ 100 or 200 people to, for example, create and program a game.

"Sega did nothing with Shenmue. The idea was to make Shenmue III and create a huge buzz around this game".

"The budget is about several million euros, funded widely by Shibuya Prod's own funds."

"At the moment, no Mac version is planned. I can't tell you exactly but Sony put less money in the project than Shibuya".

"We target to sell one million copies. This is not what we need to earn money but that's my goal."

About piracy : "But I still have faith in the true players, those who want beautiful packaging and look to gain a beautiful object. But I keep dreaming. Those who usually hack will continue to do so. For a game sold 60 euros, the packaging is 2-3 euros. Piracy is cultural. In Japan, downloading is still less common than selling CD.

"Our productions need teams of 150-250 people. It's still far from Disney"

Biscay has the advantage of knowing everyone since 10 years. As he worked already with them (the right owners of Astroboy), the young boss decides to opt for audacity. He asked if they would let him make a "reboot". Surprise: he gets a "yes" in minutes. In three months, the first contract is signed. Which is pretty amazing since, in this kind of business, negotiations sometimes last 2 or 3 years before reaching a signature. "This is why I love Japan. There, everything is a matter of trust. However, if we betray the word, you're dead, can pack your bags and return in Europe."

Then everything is on track and Astroboy becomes a 9 million euros budget funded by co-producers : a Japanese one, two TV channels and Shibuya Productions. Caribara Productions (based in Paris, Annecy, Liège and Montréal) takes charge of the animation.

Other project, this time focused on cinema : "Lily and the magic pearl" by Anri Koulev, directed with Bulgaria and co-produced. The story is written by the poetist Valeri Petrov (1920-2014). Ben Cross (Star Trek 2009) is one of the dubbers. Biscay : "I want to offer a more confidential production, an auteur cinema which would never happen without our help."

"On the technical plan, the animated film is the neighbor of gaming. However, about the funding, it's very different. It's not the same intermediaries neither the same partners or the same mounting methods for budgets. Video games are still the most profitable : the potential gain is greater than an animated film. With television, it's difficult. Whereas with the cinema, when you see the complete success of The Minions..."

"We have already a big project for 2019. But from 2017, we hope to do one release per year at least."

http://i2.wp.com/modogameur.fr/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Affiche-MAGIC-francais-small.jpg?resize=852%2C600

Modogameur interview
http://modogameur.fr/interview-cedric-biscay-organisateur-du-magic/

Q : Can you tell us more about you ?
CB : Above all, I am passionate of Japanese animation and video games. In order to work in these sectors, I founded two companies. The first in Nice in 2002 (2003 in Japan), specialized in advising between Europe and Japan. The name is Shibuya International. The other in 2014 with as primary goal the creation of video games and cartoons and whose name is Shibuya Productions. The latter company has the distinction of being located in Monaco and Japan. I also give courses in Master video games at the École Polytechnique de Nice-Sophia Antipolis.

Q : Do you think that Magic can become an event as not-to-be-missed as the Paris Games Week ?
CB : If you believe the articles following the 2015 edition, the MAGIC is already a must-see event in regard to its guests, the cosplay contest and video game creation competition endowed with € 100,000. We have to work hard to go even further. Our event offers free entrance with a broad focus on the conferences and round tables, we have no plans to expand the stands and to welcome tens of thousands of visitors. Our aim is to always offer more quality for true fans. That year we had notably Yuji Naka (Sonic), Yoshitaka Amano (Final Fantasy), Shinji Hashimoto (Kingdom Hearts), Eric Chahi (Another World), Alain Damasio (Remember Me), Frederick Raynal (Alone in the Dark), Viktor Kalvachev (Blue Estate), Philippe Buchet (Sillage) without forgetting Yoichi Takahashi (Captain Tsubasa) who comes to France and Monaco for the first time.
The 2016 edition will announce the presence of Buichi Terasawa (Cobra), Yu Suzuki (Shenmue) Kavinsky (Drive), David Lloyd (V for Vendetta), Didier Tarquin and Christophe Arleston (Lanfeust) to name a few."

Q : Your favorite mangas and games ?
CB : So much to say ! But ok, the first that come to mind are Dragon Ball Z, Cobra, Death Note, Hokuto No Ken, Saint Seiya, Hikaru no go and many others ! About games : Shenmue, Enemy Zero, Bio hazard, Radiant Silvergun, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Virtua Fighter 4, Sega Rally , Super Mario Kart, F-Zero, Street Fighter Zero 3, Uncharted 2 … this is it I can not stop !

Q : How did you selected the prestigious guests for this second edition ?
CB : I must admit that it is mostly the likes of the team. We refuse to take the easy path and don't try to follow current mainstream topics for example. Most of our guests are not into a promotion logic but come to share a good time with their fans. The undeniable advantage is that it provides a greater depth to exchanges with the public. Similarly, we do not accept pay dedications or other system that would encourage our visitors to pay for the right to photograph or signature.

Q : What are your ambitions for future editions ?
CB : We would like to pass on two days because we are beginning to refuse a lot of opportunities because of too short time we have now. However, our will is to remain a free admission event, we are not financially able to do so now. We have to find more sponsors because remember that MAGIC is an event that we fund entirely by this means.

Q : Have you never thought about exporting the Magic outside Monaco to do big conferences like Japan Expo or even Paris Games Week ?
CB : For now this is certainly not news, but we do not exclude any serious track. I myself implanted Japan Expo in Marseille and Montpellier MIG, we want MAGIC retains its specificities. With us all guests are VIP!
by Yokosuka
Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting how Suzuki says that Shenmue 3 will roughly cover chapters 5 and 6 of the saga. I thought Shenmue II covered chapters 3, 4 and 5?

I always thought it was like this:

Shenmue 1 = Chapter 1 (Yokosuka)
Shenmue 2 = Chapter 2, 3, and 4. (Wan Chai, Kowloon, and Guilin)

Now Suzuki says Shenmue 3 will cover 5 and 6.

I'm guessing the boat chapter is completely excluded from this count, as well as the discarded Li River chapter, so this new timeline takes into account only what we have seen so far.

Big thanks to Switch and sshen1127 for their invaluable translation work.
by Amir
Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nocon Kid visits Dobuits St. in Yokosuka (Facebook Photos)

Shenmue 3 CG artist Nocon Kid shares photos of his visit to Dobuita!
Photo Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/0jFiU

by Ziming
Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MORE SHENMUE NEW (shenmue chapter break down) Eng version

After the press conference in shanghai. I was able to get a little more information about the game from Yu during our meal time.

After I got home. I re-watch the conference and I was able to come up with some my own speculation. Let’s get sweaty.

I made 2 pictures. The first picture is each location of the entire 11 chapter. The second picture is the flow of the entire story line.

http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/w%3D580/sign=8cfe190c8c13632715edc23ba18ea056/4ab2a7efce1b9d1660db1fb1f5deb48f8d5464b2.jpg

http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/w%3D580/sign=c3375b24b14543a9f51bfac42e168a7b/d524352ac65c1038236d4b12b4119313b17e8947.jpg

From the 2 pictures here is the information I get.
Shenmue chapter break down.
1. Japan Yokosuka
2. Hong Kong
3. Chapter 3 and 4 is (Su Zhou and shanghai) not sure which one come first.
4. Chapter 5 and 6 is ( Guilin)
5. Chapter 7 ( Luoyang ) http://nsa37.casimages.com/img/2015/07/07/150707114637212257.jpg
6. Chapter 8 Cang Zhou Miao village
7. Chapter 9 Xi An
8. Chapter 10 Bei Jin
9. Chapter 11 is Lan Lou ( XinJiang )

3 and 4 was cut which include shu Zhou and shanghai

The last chapter the final battle takes place in ancient city (Lou Lan)

Here is the detail

First. I got all the location and the name of the city from the map of the second picture. Which chapter 3 and 4 is Suzhou and shanghai. And during the meal with Yu. I heard with my own ear that Shenmue 3 will be the story of Shenmue 5 and 6. Therefore 3 and 4 is being cut at this point.

There is a couple of detail worth mentioning here. The Niao Sun character in chapter 6 also appears in chapter 7 which is Luo yan. So Niao Sun follow Ryo to Luo yong ? Is to kill Ryo or help him? Also in chapter 10 the person ryo holds (is it landi or ziming? or someone else) if its LanDi does it mean Ryo defected him and forgive him in the end? Did Ryo reach a new ground of moral conscience? And what happen before that?

Finally I am most curious part of the story is the last chapter. The story takes place in Lou Lan. Note (the Chinese words on the map is Lou Lan not xinjiang) so the story must have a connection with the ancient city of ( LouLan). The ancient city of Lou Lan use to be the ruler for the land of Xing Jiang (it uses to be a country with rich culture and power) but suddenly disappears overnight. Similar like Maya Civilization. It becomes a historical myth.

So if the final battle is taken place there. Is there any connection between the two?

http://f.hiphotos.baidu.com/baike/c0%3Dbaike80%2C5%2C5%2C80%2C26/sign=54f7c6476a061d95694b3f6a1a9d61b4/e4dde71190ef76c65a1944549916fdfaae516782.jpg
Picture of Lou Lan

Finally there is one last detail I would like to share with everyone. During meal time Yu mention he will visitor shanghai and Suzhou, Wuxi, and Xiamen. Notice he mention shanghai and Suzhou the location of the two chapter that is cut from the game. Does that mean he is location scouting these two place? Will he add these 2 missing chapter in Shenmue 4? Will Shenmue 4 be chapter 3 and 4 (sshen1127 I personally don’t think so) we don’t know. But the most important part I think is still the budget. We need to keep support the game that is only way we can get more content from it. One last thing. During the meal time Yu mention in the future he may creator a brand new fighting game. What is that fighting game? I think it might be Shenmue character base fighting game. I believe after all of this set and done. Shenmue will no doubt become a legend of a game!
by sshen1127
Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In Search Of Lan Di Podcast - Shenmue 3 Prototype, Locations

Hey guys episode two of the podcast is now up =) We have a chat about the recent Shenmue 3 prototype and also discuss two locations from the first game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAt-rkXC9KI

Don't forget you can still make us aware of any questions you may have for the voice actor of Ryo, Corey Marshall. We are interviewing him on the 29th of November so make sure to leave your questions in the comment section of this video if you have any:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWMjJvm0toc

Thanks Guys
Tuet0ne
by Tuet0ne
Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MORE SHENMUE INTERVIEW ON THE 25 IN CHINA

http://www.vgtime.com/article/6230700.jhtml
THIS IS THE OFFICIAL WEBPAGE

a lot of people will be attending the conference . Yu . Tak Hirai , and more

i don't have any detail at this moment.
by sshen1127
Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Full pictures of gifts and photo session with Yu.

Hi guys,I shared the pictures with you. :P :P :P

The man who gave the gifts to Yu is Xingyunliushui, and the complete video of chinese conference was also conducted by him, and uplaoded by me.

Photo Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/YsVT9

list some of the photoes
http://i.imgur.com/EsV9yEo.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/Oz1Ecrg.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/X5ETWGo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GL8jMb3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NpuZggm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CFlCzaM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dGAyLfF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1OtZJhb.jpg
by Peter 蔡
Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just a small point I noticed during translation where the China talk differed from the one at GDC 2014:

In the part about the original plan for Shenmue, Suzuki mentions that he had at first been planning to release Shenmue as a set of two games, which would cover all 11 chapters.

I found that this is different from 2014 GDC's translation (from Mark Cerny), which said he had originally planned to release "the first 2 chapters as a single game".

I double-checked with a Japanese news report of the GDC presentation, and it turns out that this was actually a mis-translation; Suzuki did in fact say he had originally planned for two games covering the 11 chapters.

I can confirm this as I had this conversation with Yu Suzuki 2 months ago. Shenmue's story was planned to be 2 games but since it was too huge, he couldn't get it done. Now he never mentioned the 11 chapters fitting into 2 games but clearly said that Shenmue was supposed to be 2 games only.

I'll check the video whenever I have more free time ! Thanks Switch.
by DEVILLE_David
Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cédric Biscay interview by Desert Bus de l'Espoir (15/11/21)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHwxjwISgKo

Most interesting parts :

(5:10) About MAGIC 2016 in February
There will be a progress statement. Normally, we have the ambition to show a trailer... well rather a teaser I'd like to clarify, with the first true reliable images so we're ambitious. At least, we'll see new things like images, explanations about the game, story, etc.

(16:29) About Yu Suzuki
He's very nice, infact we are basically great pals, that's the reason we work together as well and he's a very humble person ( note : Cédric stresses this point during the video because not all the creators he knows are friendly in the gaming/anime universe and sometimes act like divas ). I think he is humble because he did everything that was possible to do in the sector of gaming. I was always fascinated when he showed me photos of him with Spielberg or Mickael Jackson but with calm, not as someone like a stalker. And you know what, it was those people who were happy to be pictured with Suzuki because his games provided them a lot of fun and they wanted to collaborate with him. So he doesn't boast at all about it, he's really supercool, we get on very well, and above all, we often drink good wine together. He likes wine, so I do. It's generally the common lot of our discussions (laughs).
Question : Which wine is his favorite ?
Cédric : Well it's a bit of expansive wine (laughs). He enjoys the really great wines, the Château Margaux, etc.
Q : And Romanée-Conti, and goes on...
C : So, yeah I admit we didn't reach this level together yet but we drunk some Château Margaux from his own wine cellar.
Q : His Tokyo-based wine cellar, isn't it ?
C : Yeah, a mini wine cellar in his office at his home but I will say nothing because I own a wine cellar in my office too so I refuse to make fun of him (laughs).

(18:35)
C : The production is progressing well, we're not late at all, it's still planned for Christmas 2017 as we decided. You know, a big interest is there, it's a traditional month for the players. Ok there are other moments in the year but it's usually better to release a game at Christmas.

Q : Since when you're working on Shenmue III before the announcement exactly ?
C : I admit we're not talking a lot about things like that, I don't want to be already impolite but (laughs) it's kind of confidential.

(19:51)
Sega is the IP owner. So for us, making Shenmue III is a huge risk because we don't own the IP. If you own the IP, that means you make a big return on investment. In our case for example, our return on investment will only be from the sales, period. We will not see the money generated by the goodies for example.

I think there are 200 000 big fans.

About AAA status
(Shenmue III) will not be Call of Duty but it will be a really good PS4 game and will easily meet the current PS4 standards.

My hidden goal was $5 million (for kickstarter).

(23:45)
What I anticipate is that Sega releases Shenmue I & II HD. Of course I must make clear that's not official but just what I wish. For me, it's the only viable way for selling well Shenmue III, so beyond the fans network. We also thought about doing a little manga or animation based on Shenmue I & II story but that's nothing compared to remake Shenmue in HD version. About the question you ask me about the hype, while it did not influence us, I think it can for others. I have the feeling that now everybody is interested in Shenmue, for example, at the companies level, to release related goodies.

Q : When was your first encounter with Yu Suzuki, how, and around which wine you seduced him ?
C : Basically, I was interested to meet him. I met him in Tokyo thanks a common friend. Then we talked about a lot of things, firstly Shenmue of course as a fan but I'm also fan of Virtua Fighter so we had a lot of common things to talk. I also bring him to an event in the south of France, then the Anime Game Show at Monaco in 2013 where the official discussion about Shenmue seriously started out because before this moment, it was really impossible as Sega didn't want to let the IP at all. So we're become real friends and we met again several times at San Francisco. We also did together the GDC , the Napa Valley as you mentionned wine. So we indeed drunk all the great American wines while discussing about how to find fundings for Shenmue III. Well it looks quite simple but you know, I do my business since almost 15 years in Japan, you can't meet Yu Suzuki so easily but thanks my job, the doors open a little more easily.

Q : Indeed, a bit like the Jet Set. The hardest part is to get in, and you did it.
C : I would say rather the Jet Set of Gaming (laughs)

(40:08)
Q : How many people are working on Shenmue III development, currently and actively ?
C : Well, our friend Suzuki didn't allow me to talk. He said to me "Don't talk about it, they will discuss again, etc". So sorry I can't answer your question (laughs).

Q : But it's a lot of people, isn't it ?
C : Yes of course, it's a video game so there is a minimum. Moreover, since the annoucement in June, we received so many requests from people who want to participate in the developement, that never stops ! There are even developers who want to work FOR FREE, it's insane. Then it smoothed down a little. For the Shibuya Production mail, I receive personally only 3 or 4 emails per week while in June, it was crazy, they were dozens and dozens of people per day, phone calls with "We want to participate in Shenmue III". [...] There were Australians, Japaneses, Ukrainians... they weren't random guys in their garages but true studios !

Q : Can we suppose that the team, although mainly Japanese, is pretty international ?
C : The team is essentially Japanese but with indeed some foreigners who live in Japan, who speak Japanese. You know that if you don't speak Japanese, it's very complicated... well I'm saying but I don't speak Japanese (laughs), but if you're working among a team, it's difficult.

(41:57)
Q : Will the PC version be optimized compared to the PS4 version ?
C : Good question, I would say "Yes".

(56:15)
Q : Outside the kickstarter, will a physical version be available ?
C : Yes absolutely.

(59:10)
Q : Will the PS4 and PC versions cost a different price ?
C : No at the moment but it's something that can change for multiple reasons. But at the moment, no.
by Yokosuka
Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New Corey Marshall Interview & Community Q&A

Hey guys we asked you if you had any questions for Corey Marshall and you let us know!

Here's the interview in it's entirety: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jn4Oh-d2rc

Hope you enjoy it! We are looking to bring members of the community on to the podcast to share there Shenmue experiences... If thats something you would be interested in, let me know by leaving a reply and I shall PM you with details.

Thanks guys
Tuet0ne
by Tuet0ne
Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Translation requests here!

Amazing work as always Switch, much appreciated. I'm sure I'd seen that vertical controller design referred to as a motion controller prototype before but maybe that was after the Wii was released and people just assumed as much.
by Amir
Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: DoriMaga Feature (Jan 1999): Part 1 - Shenmue Premiere

That's amazing, can't wait to read more. Thank you very much, Switch! All these relics talking about the making and essence of Shenmue, it's a fantastical read.
by Giorgio
Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: DoriMaga Feature (Jan 1999): Part 1 - Shenmue Premiere

Thank you very much! I'll wait for the rest!
by TerryWolf
Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A new and short (Japanese) interview of Yu Suzuki has emerged!
http://www.4gamer.net/games/000/G000000 ... #ys_suzuki
by Giorgio
Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 4Gamer: Short interview with Yu Suzuki

Thanks a lot once again for your translation, Switch! I really appreciate your contributions to us, the fans, and of course being able to know all of this info. is awesome. Thanks.
by Nankeiro
Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

And although they are not new releases, in order to enhance the portrayal of Shenmue III I spent time re-watching the Zatoichi movie series by Kurosawa, as well as Hong Kong & Chinese Kung Fu movies and others. Classic! 8)

Personally, I like watching [tennis player] Kei Nishikori and watching table tennis matches [...] Tennis and table tennis mini-games confirmed for Shenmue III? Haha.

2015 was a very significant year for the Shenmue series, and for me. And it was also a year in which I felt the great love for Shenmue.

I will continue on with development to deliver a creation that will shine radiantly in the hearts of everyone who has waited for 14 years . Heartwarming :heart: and exciting!

Thank you very much for the translation, Switch!
by Giorgio
Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks for the translation.

I can only imagine what it was like being backstage at E3 and hearing the reaction to the FF7 Remake and Shenmue III announcements.
by Telekill
Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Can't believe this topic led to you guys arguing about Terminator Genisys and personal opinions.. :lol:

I'd also like to thank Switch for his contributions, that's great work. And despite it being really short, I somehow liked this little interview better than most other stuff we got to read in the past months. It has some interesting bits, and like Giorgio said, that last part is heartwarming and exciting.
by Monkei
Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not a necessity at all, but any chance to translate the official recipe (by AM2) of how the young Ryo Hazuki ate his carrots (carefully picked by the farmers one by one)? I think for Shenmue fans it would be enticing to try them cooked that way in real life!

http://web.archive.org/web/20010926093731/http://www.sega-rd2.com/week/2000_06/vol026.html
by Giorgio
Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The 2015 5th Annual Dojo Awards Show (Hosted by Ethan Hawke)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/15bnByqeQKY/maxresdefault.jpg

Welcome ladies and gentleman to the 2015 5th Annual Dojo Awards live from the Kodak theatre. This is 5th Awards since the sexy Riku Rose rebranded them back in 2010 and his first year back organizing them since 2011 after being heartbroken that not many people participated last year resulting in no ceremony for the first time since the rebrand.

*Riku Rose walks out on stage*

Riku Rose:
Welcome all. This has been a great year for us all with the announcement of Shenmue III after years of little or no information. I'll be the first to hold my hands up and say I never thought that day would come and was dreading the day I would log in here to see some of the peoples posts that I love to read still hadn't posted for another day. Nearly all forums that focus on one product wither away at some point so I'm glad to see that at E3 we got an adrenaline needle in the arm too keep this place going well into the future.

It's seen the return of many old faces, even if it was for one post to say they were so proud to be part of this community and then never post again. It looks like with the promised release of 2017 and the likely delay into 2018 that we will see our little community continue to grow. If it wasn't for this I doubt we would have been able to get Ethan Hawke to host tonight and we all know that no one wanted Brendan Fraser to host for the 4th time. So before the show get's started let's look back at previous awards ceremony's.

Please see below for the list of previous winners:

Game of the Year :
2010 : Deadly Premonition
2011 : Batman: Arkham City
2012 : Assassin's Creed III
2013 : The Last of Us

Buzz Killington Award:
2010:
1st - Ryudo and Dorian
2nd - Kiba and Jokatech19
3rd - Crimson Ryan

2011:
1st - Dorian
2nd - Ryudo
3rd - Kiba

2012:
1st - Ryudo
2nd - Dorian
3rd - KiBa

2013:
1st - AnimeGamer183
2nd - mue26
3rd - M1TT3NZ and Ryudo

Biggest Bully:
2010:
1st - Ryudo
2nd - Oppy
3rd - Dorian and OL

2011:
1st - Ryudo
2nd - Riku Rose and M1TT3NZ
3rd - Dorian

2012:
1st - Ryudo
2nd - Riku Rose
3rd - MiTT3NZ

2013:
1st - QWERTY
2nd - M1TT3NZ
3rd - beedle

Biggest Punchbag:
2010:
1st - Jokatech19
2nd - Jeff
3rd - Axm, Kiba, Oppy and DoubleORen

2011:
1st: Jokatech19
2nd: Riku Rose
3rd: Tuffy, Crimson Ryan, Shengoro86, Dorian and Spokane

2012:
1st - Ryudo
2nd - Dorian
3rd - Jokatech19

2013:
1st - Animegamer183
2nd - Ryudo
3rd - mue26

Funniest Member:
2010:
1st - Kiba
2nd - Gingefners
3rd - Ryudo and Oppy

2011:
1st - Spokane, OL, Animegamer183
2nd - Ryudo
3rd - Brothaman, Gingefners, M1TT3NZ and Kiba

2012:
1st - Kiba
2nd - Brothaman
3rd - Riku Rose

2013:
1st - QWERTY and Let's Get Sweaty
2nd - M1TT3NZ and South Carmain
3rd - Rakim

Coolest Member:
2012:
1st - OL and MiTT3NZ
2nd - Segata Sanshiro Jr.
3rd - Brothaman and Spokane

2013:
1st - Rakim
2nd - Kenny and OL
3rd - Peter

Worst Member:
2010:
1st - Jokatech19
2nd - DoubleORen
3rd - Dorian

2011:
1st - Ryudo and Dorian
2nd - Oppy, QWERTY, Martin and Gingefners
3rd - Luvly KM, Yukio and Beedles

2012:
No Award

2013:
1st - Animegamer183
2nd - Ryudo
3rd - QWERTY and mue26

Member of the Year:
2010:
1st - Kenny
2nd - Riku Rose, Henry Spencer and Wude,
3rd - Ryudo

2011:
1st- OL
2nd- Henry
3rd- Peter

2012:
1st - Peter
2nd - Spokane
3rd - Segata Sanshiro Jr.

2013:
1st - MiTT3NZ
2nd -Let's Get Sweaty
3rd - Henry Spencer

Now please put your hands together for our host this evening, Mr Ethan Hawke!

*Ethan Hawke walks out on stage*
http://thefilmstage.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Ethan_Hawke_66%C3%A8me_Festival_de_Venise_Mostra_3.jpg
http://reactiongifs.me/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/clapping-crowd-applause.gif

Ethan Hawke:
Umm... Welcome to these internet fan award things for the Shamu Dojo centre... Anyway our first award of the evening is for the game of the year. Here to present the award is Bono's Dad:

http://media.salon.com/2013/02/jack_nicholson_presenter.jpg
Jack Nicholson:
Video games are becoming very realistic... So lets get started:

GOTY
In 3rd Place - Tales of the Borderlands
In 2nd Place - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
In 1st Place:
Bloodborne

Sadly Konami wouldn't let Hidetaka Miyazaki come to collect the award so in his place we have Kiefer Sutherland
http://www.24spoilers.com/wp-content/uploads/2004/02/Kiefer-Sutherland-2004-SAG-Award-1024x576.jpg

Ethan Hawke:
Here to present the Buzz Killington award is your uncles new girlfriend who's 15 years younger then him and your geography teacher:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1708578!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/86th-academy-awards-show.jpg

Bill Murray:
I was in a Ghostbusters video game so I get this stuff:

Buzz Killington:
In 3rd Place -Yokosuka and mue26
In 2nd Place - Peter
In 1st Place -
Himuro

Ethan Hawke:
Here to present the biggest bully award is your mum's friend who was hot when you was in school and your friend who slept with her:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02840/kimnovak_2840395b.jpg

Matthew McConaughey:
All right, all right, all right:

Biggest Bully:
In 3rd Place - MiTT3NZ
In 2nd Place - South Carmain
In 1st Place -
Riku Rose

Ethan Hawke:
The next award is for the biggest punchbag, here to present the award is someone who would never date any of the nominees:

http://media3.popsugar-assets.com/files/2012/02/08/0/192/1922398/04da51f456a80c9e_140023769/i/Angelina-Jolie-presenting-Oscars.jpg

Angalina Jolie:
Speaking as someone who was very popular at school I can understand how hard it is to be bullied:

Biggest Punchbag:
In 3rd place - Jeff
In 2nd Place - mue26
In 1st Place:
Animegamer183

Ethan Hawke:
The next award is for the funniest member and here to present it is a man who has never laughed in his life:

http://images.dailylife.com.au/2015/02/23/6290698/neeson_main-620x349.jpg

Liam Neeson:

Funniest Member:
In 3rd Place - South Carmain
In 2nd Place - OL
In 1st Place:
Riku Rose

Ethan Hawke:
The next award is the coolest member award and here to present it is someone who clearly doesn't want to be here:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.2248688.1424670576!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/image.jpg

Sean Penn:
How the fuck can you have someone who's cool on an internet forum? This award means about as much as me winning winning the long jump in the Paralympics:

Coolest Member:
In 3rd Place - Yokosuka, Bambi and Ziming
In 2nd Place - OL
In 1st place:
St. Elmo's Fire

Ethan Hawke:
Next up we have the award for the worst member, here to present the award is Kiba:

http://36.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m00h1cnGMW1rnxcibo1_500.jpg

Kiba:
*Kiba goes on a long rant about something*

Worst Member:
In 3rd Place - Shengoro86 and mue26
In 2nd Place - AnimeGamer183
In 1st Place:
Brosause or as he is also know Amiga

Ethan Hawke:
Well tonight has been fun but we have one award left and it's the biggest one of the night. The person to present it is also our biggest guest of the evening, ladies and gentleman I give you Yu Suzuki:

http://gearnuke.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/shenmue-3.png

Yu Suzuki:
See I have more then just that sailor shirt!

Member of the year:
In 3rd Place - South Carmain
In 2nd Place - OL and Switch
The Member of the year is:
!!!Ziming!!!

Ethan Hawke:
Thanks for all coming out tonight. Feel free to all stay for the afterparty but to get us in the mood we have some music for you. Please welcome Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv4-m-cIZf4

See you all next year
by Riku Rose
Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2015 5th Annual Dojo Awards Show (Hosted by Ethan Ha

Good that Ziming and Switch got top prize.
And Bloodborne too.

I want Kiba to host next year. Nobody would get awards but we'd all know alot more about the falklands war.
by Axm
Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My Shenmue 2 review

Just finished up my review on Shenmue 2, for anyone who is interested. Many thanks for any feedback or constructive comments.

Cheers, guys.

https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com/20 ... shenmue-2/
by Reprise
Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revam

That moment when you manage to make a video gaming website (Gamelove.com, a French one) to delete completely their article. :lol:
by Yokosuka
Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revam

At least part of the media are publishing apologize and corrected articles, although they still point out the lack of communication from YsNet.

http://segmentnext.com/2016/01/07/shenmue-3-paypal-rewards-arent-canceled-publications-wrongly-reported-scenario/
They should be called out on their lack of communication.
by mjq jazz bar
Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Open-World Shenmue 3?

Last Yu's thought about open world : http://otakumode.com/news/55c62e97887d92a516b043ae/Interview-with-Yu-Suzuki-Producer-of-the-%E2%80%9CShenmue%E2%80%9D-Series?page=3
When Shenmue was released, we didn’t use the term “open world.” At the time, digging deep into multiple subjects at the same time would have caused imbalances in the budget, so delving into one subject at a time was mostly common sense. The reason for that is that if you divide 10 resources for 10 subjects, you can only get a performance ratio of one. However, if you put 10 resources to one subject, you can dig 10 times deeper, achieving an accordingly higher performance, and this is why games at the time shared the theory of delving deeper into just a few themes. However, by applying the above-mentioned automatic programming method, you can raise the performance per subject above one, which disproves this theory.

Otaku Mode journalist : This way, the program covers for human costs.

S: Exactly. For instance, even if it’s made with few resources, if you can get good performance by making free use of the program, you can make it possible to enjoy a taste of 10 different themes in one game. Taking the army knife used on mountains as an example, there was a theory stating that since all of its available functions are crude, you would be better off having just one knife. But the improvement of technology caused all the qualities of the knife to improve, thus prompting a change in our sense of value. This is a similar situation. Shenmue was the first in the game industry to have crossed that boundary of values.

At that time, I said, “Let’s improve the degree of freedom and increase the number of options,” and I often used the word “free” as opposed to “open world.” At some point, “free” became “open world,” and putting aside whether it’s the same thing with what I had in mind, the genre for which Shenmue had first set in motion expanded, and games such as the Grand Theft Auto series appeared on the world market. I was told by many game creators, “We were able to create an open world game thanks to Shenmue,” and, “It influenced me, thank you,” so not only I am happy to have made it, I am also immensely grateful to everyone who helped in expanding the concept of Shenmue.

Reminder about Dobuita size (keep in mind that Choubu will have vertical places like Kowloon-like buildings)
http://i.imgur.com/9HdnTAH.png
http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mods/1/28/27950/thumb_620x2000/15.jpg

Yakuza 4 map :
https://i.imgur.com/WFguNf1.jpg

The aesthetic of Choubu (a mix of Kowloon and Fenghuang) :
https://i.imgur.com/FZGw3ps.jpg

Pictures from real life Guilin (you can even see pictures of the Shenmue II cave) :
https://500px.com/search?tag=Guilin&type=photos

Google maps to visualize what 2km x 2km could mean lol, by observing a familiar place :
https://www.google.com/maps/ (right click on the map and click on "measure distance" to draw a line)
by Yokosuka
Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Beta Video - now subtitled

Amazing work - as always!

Thanks Switch :)
by Sonoshee
Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thank you so much for this new contribution. You're making possible the wishes of several of us to have this great material subtitled at last!
by Nankeiro
Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fantastic. Thank you very much, Switch! Your translations continue to enhance and enrich the magic of Shenmue in our memories!
by Giorgio
Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thank you very much for providing subtitles for the What's Shenmue VHS! Something that was really overdue.
Some of the voice over explanations were easy to understand just by looking at the shown gameplay but being able to finally understand everything is awesome!
by BlueMue
Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue I & II 16:9 & Black Bars Auto Fixer - Updated

Hello everyone,

Thanks to the great work of dojo members Esppiral , Sappharad and others, we are now able to play Shenmue and Shenmue II in a proper widescreen format and with almost no clipping. Moreover, we are also able to remove the annoying black bars from Shenmue II's cutscenes.

So I made two utilities that can save you time when applying the widescreen/no clipping fixes and also to remove the black bars from "all" the cutscenes in Shenmue II automatically.

The first utility supports the EU version of Shenmue I and Shenmue II

http://i.imgur.com/lHtzAmc.png

The second utility supports What's Shenmue, and the JP version of Shenmue I and Shenmue II

http://i.imgur.com/fFBLtjI.png

Sample Screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/J7QNvqp.png

http://i.imgur.com/Dpt3Fd7.png

http://i.imgur.com/LwbaNI4.png

http://i.imgur.com/TK5WtZR.png

http://i.imgur.com/YVyNAv3.png

http://i.imgur.com/PjVj939.png

http://i.imgur.com/PqpFExv.png

http://i.imgur.com/WwFJUfX.png

http://i.imgur.com/K50ZNRe.png

So I made a utility that can save you time when applying the widescreen/no clipping fixes to Shenmue I (game and passport discs) and Shenmue II, and the utility will also remove the black bars from "all" the cutscenes automatically.

The two utilities will work with any version of Demul, and they may also requires the latest version of Cheat Engine to be installed, so it's already included with the utility.

Here's a nice video tutorial on how to use the tool by BlueMue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ1Jfq61s6k

And another video tutorial by Ziming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKw029vkWqY

Download the utility for EU Shenmue I&II from this link

Download the utility for What's Shenmue and JAP Shenmue I&II from this link

Check the latest Demul build from this link

Please share your comments, suggestions and feedback...
Enjoy.
by masterchan777
Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow thanks Switch, you translated more than I expected.

Very first time I read the confirmation of the Spielberg's visit in the Sega premises although it was pretty obvious given the Gameworks history. Good to see Suzuki always thinking about the global future of gaming as well despite his virtual retirement.
by Yokosuka
Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Switch is a hero
by Scrounder
Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Magic Monaco 2016 - Exclusive New Shenmue III Screens

http://i.imgur.com/Aygh4we.png

Three new work-in-progress images of Shenmue III have been revealed today at the Magic Monaco event in Paris.

Multimedia: Press Conference Video | High Resolution Images

----------
Links & Hashtags: Forum Discussion | Shenmue 3 Slacker Backer | #SaveShenmueHD
by Sonoshee
Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic