Component Video Cables for DC?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Component Video Cables for DC?

Postby T1249NTSCJØ » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:47 pm

Anyone know where I can purchase component video cables for my DC, if it does exist?

They look like this only that this image is for the GC.

T1249NTSCJØ
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bambi » Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:34 pm

Are you taling about av cables?
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby T1249NTSCJØ » Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:37 pm

No, they are the cables in "red, blue & green".

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/images/compins.gif
T1249NTSCJØ
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bambi » Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:40 pm

Ah no sorry I don't even know if you can get them I had a hard enough time finding s-video for the dc in the end I had to mod a dc vga box cause I couldn't find one.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sonikku » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:04 pm

Nope. Sorry. Component cables simply do not exist for the dreamcast. There is little reason for them anyway. You can't play it in progressive scan or High defininition or anything. (Both are differnent from the VGA 640X480 res you get with a moniter) If not using a vga adapter for it's higher res just use a S-video. My cable has the red white and yellow, but it also has the s video. If your just looking for the best connection anyway, Componet offers very little to no differnce to s video if your not using progressive scan or somthing.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby T1249NTSCJØ » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:22 am

I realized that myself after some extensive search online, guess I'll just go with either AV or S-Video. Thanks everyone.
T1249NTSCJØ
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby nuts_to_that » Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:31 pm

Why don't you do a search on eBay? I'm pretty sure I've seen brand new AV and S-Video cables on there before.
nuts_to_that
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bambi » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:08 pm

T1249NTSCJØ wrote:I realized that myself after some extensive search online, guess I'll just go with either AV or S-Video. Thanks everyone.

If you can, get S-Video it's better than av.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby kenshiro » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:51 pm

Sonikku wrote:Nope. Sorry. Component cables simply do not exist for the dreamcast. There is little reason for them anyway. You can't play it in progressive scan or High defininition or anything. (Both are differnent from the VGA 640X480 res you get with a moniter) If not using a vga adapter for it's higher res just use a S-video. My cable has the red white and yellow, but it also has the s video. If your just looking for the best connection anyway, Componet offers very little to no differnce to s video if your not using progressive scan or somthing.

Actually 640X480 VGA is roughly the equivalent of 480p on a digital TV. You can get a VGA box for like $20 if you look around. And the cool thing is that a lot of them have S-Video out so you can simultaneously hook up both. S-video is awesome and is 100% compatible with all games, VGA is not. But man, when you play Soul Calibur with the VGA box.........
kenshiro
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonikku » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:43 pm

Yes it looks better. But Soul calibur was a luanch title. I think shenmue looks the best.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Jacob Marley » Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Just to clear things up, the PS2 was the first system released in the US that supports Component Video. The GameCube and XBOX have followed since followed suit.

The DC never supported it and never will as Component inputs were not widely used back in 1998-1999 when DC production was ramping up, that and the fact that Sega's goal was to make the DC as inexpensive as possible to manufacture.

And yes, the difference between S-Video and Component IS absoutely noticeable on a standard non-progressive scan Sony WEGA TV (for example)...you're getting near-RGB like quality as the color signals are better separated and VERY crisp over S-Video. My brother and I did side by side tests to confirm this.
Jacob Marley
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bambi » Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:11 am

kenshiro wrote:S-video is awesome and is 100% compatible with all games, VGA is not.

Good point, plus VGA runs at 60mhz when some PAL games in the uk only run at 50mhz.

I wish Resident Evil Code Veronica for the Dreamcast was VGA compatible :roll:
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Daemos » Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Master Baihu wrote:
kenshiro wrote:S-video is awesome and is 100% compatible with all games, VGA is not.

Good point, plus VGA runs at 60mhz when some PAL games in the uk only run at 50mhz.

I wish Resident Evil Code Veronica for the Dreamcast was VGA compatible :roll:

VGA runs at 60Hz not MHz... That's 1 million times more, Chris. :lol:
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Return to General Gaming