Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Your Boy Leroy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:42 pm

Are you talking about pre-ordering the US release of 6? Because as far as I know, pre-orders are still available. I think I just did mine a few days ago on Amazon.

I'm almost literally right at the beginning. I ended up in Chinatown and took out a few goons, ran into the beginning of my first sub-story, and went to the gym. Other than that, I haven't touched it since. I am really losing my shit over Beat Takeshi finally being in one of these games. I thought I was gonna lose it when I first saw Riki Takeuchi and Hitoshi Ozawa in 0.

I am really, REALLY looking forward to Kiwami 2. Even if the developers do the same thing with the cutscenes like how they did with the first Kiwami (re-using all the animation from the PS2 game), I'm still hopeful. That Dragon Engine is a beautiful thing.
Your Boy Leroy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:58 am

Your Boy Leroy wrote: Are you talking about pre-ordering the US release of 6? Because as far as I know, pre-orders are still available. I think I just did mine a few days ago on Amazon.

I'm almost literally right at the beginning. I ended up in Chinatown and took out a few goons, ran into the beginning of my first sub-story, and went to the gym. Other than that, I haven't touched it since. I am really losing my shit over Beat Takeshi finally being in one of these games. I thought I was gonna lose it when I first saw Riki Takeuchi and Hitoshi Ozawa in 0.

I am really, REALLY looking forward to Kiwami 2. Even if the developers do the same thing with the cutscenes like how they did with the first Kiwami (re-using all the animation from the PS2 game), I'm still hopeful. That Dragon Engine is a beautiful thing.

Is that so? (Ryo voice lol) I looked... Sunday, I think it was and they were all sold out thus far :(. I'll check again!

That's fine; there's a TON to do, so it will keep you busy for a while :)

Not to be snobbish or anything (truly, I'm not!), but its Takeshi Kitano. Just, no. I get ticked whenever people write "Beat," lol. I know its his stage name and the Japanese are huge over stage names, but yeah.

I'm super, SUPER excited that he's in it too; I lost it (in a good way) when the very first teaser had him show up at the end and smirk, after his voiceover! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Have been told he shows up in the latter half of the game though, sadly...

Seeing Riki Takeuchi was awesome; I'm a MASSIVE Tokyo Tribe fan and that had me over the moon!

Meh; I'm looking forward to playing ANY RGG game, because it is my second favourite Sega series after Shenmue, but 2 is my second least favourite title in the series... I hate the ridiculously ridiculous story, not a fan of the characters and I loathe Kaoru to death... easily one of the worst-realised characters in the series (have posted ad nauseum about it in past posts, so won't do it now lol). Ryuji's a solid character though, thankfully.

I hope they reuse, but update the cutscenes too; it will give a good hint of nostalgia and I'm guessing they will also add a bit of new content, like they did with Kiwami.

After this, I'm hoping that they will continue the series properly; Shin Ryu ga Gotoku looks like it'll be awesome (the story is set up very well and has gotten me a bit angry lol) and Hokuto no Gotoku looks superb as well, but these are a spinoff and a different universe, respectively, thus I hope that going forward, we will see some great, main titles.

That looks to be at least 2 years away though, sadly :(
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby Your Boy Leroy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:12 pm

You know, I actually just checked the Amazon link for the special edition Y6 page and it looks like it may be all gone. My bad, dawg :(

I was playing through Kiwami again last night and I realized that the boss battles are still ass. The boss battles from the original PS2 version were frustratingly terrible because of the gameplay mechanics, and it's a shame that the developers didn't really take the time to refine them this time around.
Your Boy Leroy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby south carmain » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Your Boy Leroy wrote: You know, I actually just checked the Amazon link for the special edition Y6 page and it looks like it may be all gone. My bad, dawg :(

I don't know how you can call yourself anyone's boy with that kind of fake advice.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:00 am

Leave My Boy Leroy alone!

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby SickOctopus » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:02 pm

Any word on whether or not the After Hours edition of Yakuza 6 will be coming to Europe, or will it be a US-exclusive? Ultimately, I suppose it doesn't really matter, as I have the US version on pre-order, and any additional expenses will likely be minimal.
SickOctopus
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: AJK1986
Steam: AllyK86
Currently playing: Life is Strange

Postby Your Boy Leroy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:26 am

south carmain wrote:
Your Boy Leroy wrote: You know, I actually just checked the Amazon link for the special edition Y6 page and it looks like it may be all gone. My bad, dawg :(

I don't know how you can call yourself anyone's boy with that kind of fake advice.

I hope you're joking, because I just checked again now and the After Hours Premium Edition is listed as currently unavailable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074XDLK ... ref=plSrch
Your Boy Leroy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby south carmain » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:55 am

I have never been more serious about anything in my life.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Your Boy Leroy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:59 am

You have offended me. And you have offended the Shaolin Temple.

Your Boy Leroy has received a thanks from: south carmain
Your Boy Leroy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby south carmain » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:23 pm

Stop cyberbullying me or I'll report you.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:13 pm

I was playing through Kiwami again last night and I realized that the boss battles are still ass. The boss battles from the original PS2 version were frustratingly terrible because of the gameplay mechanics, and it's a shame that the developers didn't really take the time to refine them this time around.

No biggie ;)

I never was affected by the system too much initially (I adapt very well to anything and everything), but yes, it was semmingly just pushed into the new engine, that's all.

Anyways, 6 is ging swimmingly; I may actually be able to Platinum this game (my first ever!) and aside from Clan Creator being a bit tedious (its fun, but the grinding for the trophies is not), I'm still having a blast; the story is ramping up too!
Truck_1_0_1_

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:00 am

So an update on 6 here.

I've discovered Salty Yen in the past 3 days and have been using his videos side by side, when I'm playing the game, so the cutscenes are synced and all that jazz.

The story has become utterly brilliant and I'm super glad that they finally did what I wished for them to do and make the stry centered around Yakuza vs. Triads, albeit not in the way I imagined.

Anyways, seeing Salty Yen's (INITIAL, as he changed his opinion almost 180 in the next video) opinion and the opinions of many others, I now know why people say the story sucks/not good etc.; they are utterly, 100% wrong in their reasoning. People have placed these characters on pedestals and because the writers have written them to do things out of the norm, the story is deemed, "bad," when in reality, people just don't like it.

Therefore, I urge anyone and everyone who gets the game once its translated, please give it a chance and dispell any pre-conceived notions that you may have about the game and story; take note of the evolutionary changes and just the evolution of the series in general and then form an opinion.

I (and I know I'm not the only one) don't want to see this series dead in the water, in the West again and the massive backlash from fans, simply because THEY DON'T LIKE the evolution of the series and not because things are objectively bad, may be one of the things that does it in, especially since this is Kiryu's last title and they are starting over of sorts, with Ichiban.

Anyways, Takeshi is simply awesome, his character is awesome and the story has become intriguing and has kept me wanting more; the more and more I play it, the more and more I think that 6 is up there with 3, 5 and 0 as the best in the series.

EDIT: So I just watched the first 5 minutes of Yen's "Review," video of the game and he flipped back to his previous notion that the story was stupid :???: :evil: Whatever.

Truck_1_0_1_ has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
Truck_1_0_1_

Postby south carmain » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:58 pm

Am I the only one that thinks that Yakuza 3 is just okey?
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:05 pm

^^I think that's actually the general consensus on it among most fans.
I personally really like it (mainly for the atmosphere of Okinawa), but it easily has the least-compelling story of them all outside of Y5, and little else about the game adds anything new to the series as a whole. If ever there was one that you could call "just another" Yakuza game, it'd be 3.
Still, that Okinawa atmosphere.

OL has received 2 thanks from: myshtuff, south carmain
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:32 pm

Oh ok, from people on the dojo and some ranking videos I watched I thought it was a fan favourite. I've never really mixed much with the yakuza fanbase as a whole though.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming