The Last Guardian. Oh where oh where can it be

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: The Last Gaurdian cancelled..well hiatus

Postby Mitsuzuki » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:18 pm

Yeah this completely blows. I hope it surfaces... one day.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Axm » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:21 pm

Its like more than vaporware at this point. >_<
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:08 pm

Eurogamer spoke to Sony's Jim Ryan following this report and asked him, flatly, whether The Last Guardian had been cancelled.

"I don't believe it's been cancelled," he answered. "Had it been cancelled, some sort of announcement would have been made. I think the watch-word is patience."

We asked whether "PS4" would be another word and he fell about laughing, unfortunately giving nowt else away.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... -sony-says
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Rakim » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:26 pm

"That hiatus term—I’m not a native English-speaking person—but that’s misleading," Yoshida told me a few minutes ago during an interview here at E3. He'd watched Tretton's comments on Spike.com while eating lunch. "The game is in active development. [Lead designer Fumito] Ueda-san shared updates a few months ago. Nothing has changed. My answer is, 'Yes, the game is in active development.' It’s not hiatus at all. But we are not ready to reintroduce it. When we are ready, we will do that. Please wait."

http://kotaku.com/sony-corrects-themsel ... -512720979

Sounds like it might be going through a major makeover and won't be ready to be seen again by the public again for a while.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: The Last Guardian. Oh where oh where can it be

Postby mue 26 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:07 pm

Phew. But yeah, PS4 confirmed.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ys » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:47 am

Nice surprise for those who bought the PS3 mainly for this game. Now let's see if they manage to release it before the PS5 arrives.
Maybe the makeover incorporates some of these ideas?

phpBB [video]

ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:25 pm

Really liked Ico and really liked Lost in Shadow on Wii. I also loved Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. It seems I either resort to the older games or similar games. So since TLG will come out on the 8th day of the week on Feb 31st. Until then Rain looks amazing. Will have to be my new substitute.

Guys if you need that type of fix

Look forward to Rain
Try Lost in Shadow and Majin.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Majin is nothing like those games. It's more like Zelda, if anything.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:31 pm

Shuhei Yoshida Gives More Info on The Last Guardian, Blames Jack Tretton for Misleading Everyone

A couple weeks ago Shuhei Yoshida told Famitsu that the mysteriously disappeared PS3 title by Team Ico The Last Guardian is still in development, and today he gave more info on what’s up with the game in an interview on GamesIndustry International.

When asked if the game was still being developed in the building where the interview was taking place he confirmed:

Yeah, in this building!

He was also asked what console the game will be released on, but the response was rather obvious:

Ahh… That, I cannot talk about.

The interviewer argued that it wouldn’t make much sense to release the game on PS3 this late in the console’s lifetime, and said that the developers have PS4 DevKits in their offices because he heard them talking about it. Yoshida-san explained:

So, we’re waiting for the right time to re-introduce The Last Guardian in an appropriate way. I can’t… Well, the game is in development, and it’s well staffed, and Ueda-san is here, working – even though he’s not a Sony employee, he’s dedicated to the product. But we’re not ready to update yet.

Finally, Yoshida-san was asked if the “hiatus” the game’s development was allegedly put on is now finally over.

Hiatus, I never… It was Jack Tretton! He used that term, and I said no, hiatus is misleading. It was a hiatus in terms of releasing new information. The game has never stopped – the team has always been here. They’re going through the re-engineering of the game, so the team size is smaller, because it’s more engineering focused right now.

“Re-engineering” to me definitely sounds like moving the game to the PS4, but of course we have no way to know that for sure. We’ll have to wait and see. In the meanwhile we can all be relieved by the fact that game is still worked on by Fumito Ueda himself.

Much clearer answers. Likely PS4
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/03/ ... unication/
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:54 am

Fumito Ueda, creator of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, has apologised for the lengthy development process of upcoming project The Last Guardian.

Ueda told Edge he was "terribly sorry for that for various reasons I have kept my audience waiting for such a long time".

The Last Guardian has now been in development for more than six years, although Ueda admitted his personal creative work was completed "a long time ago".

"The details of when, where and how it will be completed are beyond my control," he continued. "The original staff members on Ico and SOTC are just as fussy over details as I am. I always want to create quickly, and I always want to increase the rate of production."

Ueda also briefly discussed his decision to quit Sony Computer Entertainment as a full-time employee in December 2011 (he now works on a freelance contract basis and is "committed to completing" the project).

"It's difficult to explain [the decision to go freelance], but in a nutshell it was because I felt a sense of crisis within myself about a lot of things. It's hard to [say exactly what], but in terms of my own growth and career and so on."

Asked what Sony's reaction was, Ueda explained "it was not easy. I can't go into the details just yet. It will be good to be able to discuss it along with a post-mortem of The Last Guardian someday".
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Axm » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:18 pm

It's just alittle bit rediculous that and entire console generation passed up 1 game. Get Ueda a bigger team and just get it done. They deserve the resources.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:26 pm

I'm not blaming Ueda fully in this situation, going by that recent interview with the new Studio Japan head, the entire studio was mismanaged. Almost forty titles in production at once, I think he revealed?

The announcement video of Trico obviously wasn't any indication the game was in any real sort of production. It must of been a proof of concept to get the full green light.

Next to that, I think this wasn't Ueda's main game after finishing Shadow of the Colossus. I remember hearing his first PS3 game was described as "very cartoony". He even admitted once when work started his team had initial difficulties with the PS3 hardware, which is no surprise to anybody.

Studio Japan really have had their reigns pulled in over this time. At one point Sony assimilated the entire studio to their main building and the last I heard enrolled Sony Santa Monica to help rebuild the game engine.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:30 pm

Full interview with Edge:

How do you keep your team motivated over a production cycle of five years or more?

Maintaining motivation is all about producing something great. A hobby or alcohol might help to refresh you temporarily, but they won’t motivate creativity. Also, the original staff members on Ico and SOTC are just as fussy over details as I am. I always want to create quickly, and I always want to increase the rate of production. In the case of The Last Guardian, my creative work was mostly finished a long time ago, but the details of when, where and how it will be completed are beyond my control.

Uhhh...what? Sounds like he wants to wring his hands of this project.

Do deadlines make your work easier or more difficult?

They make work much easier.

That being the case, how did Ico miss PlayStation and The Last Guardian seemingly miss PlayStation 3?

No comment.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/ico ... with-sony/

So 8 years on and here we are. "No comment" sums it up well. :|
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Axm » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:26 am

Its like the new Duke Nukem Forever.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby ys » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:58 pm

Shenmue III !!!

Sorry, I sometimes get uncontrollable outbursts when I see gaming news about delays. Especially when developers are vague in interviews or refuse/are not allowed to comment about future plans. The doctors told me that it's some form of post-traumatic stress disorder.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Previous

Return to General Gaming