Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby ys » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:55 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: ^Sounds like it? Nagoshi said something to the effect of "we don't have time to do a localization" and now that Sony opened an internal localization team to bring over the games that certain publishers don't want to bring over for whatever reason; it'd only make sense for Yakuza series to be in those talks since 5 was the joint most requested next to Final Fantasy Type-0. Hopefully Shenmue 3 is also in those discussions with SEGA...(yeah, yeah, I know)

Wow, wait a second. What is this about an internal localization team?! is this something very recent? It sounds like a great initiative in any case. And I agree, against knowing better I still hope Shenmue also gets a mention in situations like these.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:00 pm

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/08/ ... tion-team/

Give that article a read. They polled gamers on titles they wanted for PlayStationon Twitter. Yakuza 5 and Final Fantasy Type-0 were name dropped as the most requested titles.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Neo Matrix » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:02 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote:
Neo Matrix wrote: I didn't realise it had been just over a year to the day since I posted here, a year and a week to be exact.

Welcome back! And you still haven't played through Kenzan, 3 or 4 like you were planning to do a year ago..
I know, I feel ashamed whenever I think about it. It's been a combination of work, Naruto UNS games, WWE games, Spec Ops: The Line, Dance Central (trying to exercise more) and my uncle's new-found addiction of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (he plays it daily to the point I can't use the TV all evening now) that's halted my progress. :sad:

Kenzan is the barrier though, I want to finish that game first before carrying on with the translated 3 and 4, and my Japanese still sucks so the amount of reading (considering the setting means more words I've never seen before) is a huge task.
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Oh dear, oh dear. I only really play one game at a time so I've never had a backlog of sorts. Speaking of Kenzan, doesn't it use a different 'type' of kanji? If that makes sense? More authentic to the period it's set in.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Neo Matrix » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Normally, I'm the same and stick to one game at a time (just in shorter bursts), then my uncle started complaining that I don't finish to completion now that he's started trying to get Platinums. Since then I think it went something like this:

• Recieved Kenzan, started playing
  • Spec Ops came out, tried to get Platinum (I'm now one trophy short)
  • Naruto UMS 3's release approached, so I rushed to complete the others in the series. I completed 1 (no trophies in that game, but got 100%), Platinumed 2, started on Generations when...
  • WWE '13 came out, with all the issues that came along with it. Switched between that and Spec Ops until
  • Jak and Daxter Trilogy became cheap at work so I got that and Platinumed the first game
  • Then I brought WWE '12 into the mix (for completion's sake).
I've managed to stop myself buying games since then, and I haven't started a new one yet. It's an unfortunate habit I've had for years, it's not as if I've lost interest in competing the earlier games, I just get caught up in the wave of a new game... ](*,)

You should see how many games in total I "own but haven't played"...

As for the "type of kanji", I didn't notice any major difference in the font. The style of speaking is different though if I remember correctly, so words come out differently and that can throw someone off. The game has points where you practically have to check the in-game dictionary to find out what words mean.
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:46 pm

Save yourself some time this year and skip the annual WWE game. The differences between each new version are so microscopically incremental that it's easier to appreciate them if you only buy it every 2-3 years. The license recently changed hands but the new game released next month began development under THQ's watch. I'm hoping that the next one, developed as a 2K Sports game from start to finish, will contribute something genuinely fresh to the series, although it's still the same developers (Juke's) so there's a danger that 2K will just let them carry on coasting without any interference.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Neo Matrix » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:02 pm

I already knew that about the series and that's what I would normally do with a yearly franchise. I had missed the whole SvR series until I bought Legends of WrestleMania and SvR 2009 (in 2011), then waited until WWE '13. I only bought '12 (for only £10) in June this year to go through a particular set of Story Designer creations by one of the more notable members on the official forums, only for the news to hit that the servers were going down and I'll lose access to them next week.

This year's game though I'll probably find later down the line. I already know my cousin's going to buy it for the NWO so no point in me rushing out to buy it too. I still have platinums to earn on '12 and '13. 2K14 is tempting me though, with what's probably going to be a roster that'll be unrivalled for the next 10 years, or at least until all the Ruthless Aggression era wrestlers finally retire and sign up to be in the series.

Kick up the backside for Yuke's or not, next year's game will also have limitations due to the need to produce it on multiple platforms and I'm not planning on getting either of this year's new consoles for a while yet...
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:06 pm

Neo Matrix wrote:As for the "type of kanji", I didn't notice any major difference in the font. The style of speaking is different though if I remember correctly, so words come out differently and that can throw someone off. The game has points where you practically have to check the in-game dictionary to find out what words mean.

I've heard different dialects come up in Yakuza 5. With all the different locations in the game it really adds to the authenticity. Of course, it will be mostly lost on us when we're reading English subtitles..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Neo Matrix » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:10 pm

Unless they try to "localise" the subtitles. For example in Azumanga Daioh, they gave the girl from Osaka a "country bumpkin" kind of feel in English so a similar impact would carry across. More difficult with subtitles, but they did it in the Ace Attorney games quite well from what I remember.

On a totally different subject (no acknowledgement necessary) I just can't believe I registered almost 10 and a half years ago and I only now reach 4 digits in my post count... :ugh:
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rakim » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:29 pm

Isn't that the worst? They always give people who speak Kansai-ben southern accents in dubs. I always imagine that if osakans spoke English it would sound similar to many famous black comedians.

Oh mighty powerful Gods of localisation! Please make it happen. Please give us a Yakuza 5 starring the ghost of Bernie Mac [-o<
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Neo Matrix wrote: Unless they try to "localise" the subtitles. For example in Azumanga Daioh, they gave the girl from Osaka a "country bumpkin" kind of feel in English so a similar impact would carry across. More difficult with subtitles, but they did it in the Ace Attorney games quite well from what I remember.

Ah you're right, actually. They did a very good job of that with Ryuji Goda in Dead Souls. You'll see what I mean in a few years time at the rate you're getting through these games ;-)

Neo Matrix wrote:On a totally different subject (no acknowledgement necessary) I just can't believe I registered almost 10 and a half years ago and I only now reach 4 digits in my post count... :ugh:

This forum is my biggest post count by thousands. I think I've only reached a thousand posts, which I saw as a big milestone on its own, at TeamXbox.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:01 pm

Neo Matrix wrote:Kick up the backside for Yuke's or not, next year's game will also have limitations due to the need to produce it on multiple platforms and I'm not planning on getting either of this year's new consoles for a while yet...

That's true, they don't have a good record when it comes to their first game on a new platform. A pitfall of any yearly franchise really. WWE 2K15 will be very much a "wait and see" proposition. Although like you, if I buy it at all it will be the current gen version, as I've been given no reason to invest in a new console yet.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Neo Matrix » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:53 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote:
Neo Matrix wrote: Unless they try to "localise" the subtitles. For example in Azumanga Daioh, they gave the girl from Osaka a "country bumpkin" kind of feel in English so a similar impact would carry across. More difficult with subtitles, but they did it in the Ace Attorney games quite well from what I remember.

Ah you're right, actually. They did a very good job of that with Ryuji Goda in Dead Souls. You'll see what I mean in a few years time at the rate you're getting through these games ;-)
A-ha! I see what you did there! :P I forgot to add that to the list of games in the series I own and I still need to get through. I assume that's subtitled too?

What I forget to check out with these games is what the differences are between the versions. If I remember correctly the Japanese version has a lot more because they wouldn't be received too well if they made the trip overseas...

Crimson Ryan wrote:
Neo Matrix wrote:On a totally different subject (no acknowledgement necessary) I just can't believe I registered almost 10 and a half years ago and I only now reach 4 digits in my post count... :ugh:

This forum is my biggest post count by thousands. I think I've only reached a thousand posts, which I saw as a big milestone on its own, at TeamXbox.
Didn't take you 10 years though, did it? The forum I have the most on might just hit 23,000 by the time I hit year 13 in January, and on the 2K forums I've managed 4000 just this year. I just find that strangely fascinating how that happens...

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Neo Matrix wrote:Kick up the backside for Yuke's or not, next year's game will also have limitations due to the need to produce it on multiple platforms and I'm not planning on getting either of this year's new consoles for a while yet...

That's true, they don't have a good record when it comes to their first game on a new platform. A pitfall of any yearly franchise really. WWE 2K15 will be very much a "wait and see" proposition. Although like you, if I buy it at all it will be the current gen version, as I've been given no reason to invest in a new console yet.
The earliest I'll get it is when all the DLC is available, so I can get it at the same time. Maybe it'll do well enough and they'll do a WrestleMania edition like they did with '12 with everything in one.
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:01 am

Neo Matrix wrote:
Crimson Ryan wrote:

A-ha! I see what you did there! :P I forgot to add that to the list of games in the series I own and I still need to get through. I assume that's subtitled too?

What I forget to check out with these games is what the differences are between the versions. If I remember correctly the Japanese version has a lot more because they wouldn't be received too well if they made the trip overseas...

Yakuza 3 had quite a few cuts. Most notable were the hostess clubs. Other than that was an arcade mini-game "Answer x Answer". That game was all about Japanese trivia and history etc. It wasn't text-based so couldn't be translated so easily. Other than that were a few substories which wouldn't make much sense in an English-speaking game. They have been translated and put online.

phpBB [video]
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Neo Matrix » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:59 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote:
Neo Matrix wrote:
Crimson Ryan wrote:

Yakuza 3 had quite a few cuts. Most notable were the hostess clubs. Other than that was an arcade mini-game "Answer x Answer". That game was all about Japanese trivia and history etc. It wasn't text-based so couldn't be translated so easily. Other than that were a few substories which wouldn't make much sense in an English-speaking game. They have been translated and put online.

phpBB [video]
I would have thought the hostess clubs would be the first to go, but weren't they in the first two games? You even ran one in the second game if I remember correctly. I suppose they would have to rewrite Answer X Answer for every country, which would take way too much time. I'll have to see those side stories if I ever finish it. :p
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming