Ni No Kuni

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Ni No Kuni

Postby Strikeout » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:52 pm

played the demo, makes really fun, looks great and gameplay is awesome, ordered it and can't wait for the 25th of january
Strikeout
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Valnes
Currently playing: nothing special

Postby mrslig100 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:06 pm

Ooh this thing looks great, good choice Ryudo!
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:11 pm

Honestly don't see what's so special about this one? :-s
Aside from that Level 5 always under deliver and provide mediocre RPG experiences. I mean yeah, it all looks very pretty, but what's actual gameplay like? Story sounds cliche as hell too.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:02 pm

It's just a matter of personal taste, really. The thing that makes it so appealing is the fact that it's not trying to be "cutting edge" or "innovative". As much as stereotypes continue to be re-tread in other JRPGs, they still keep trying to raise their level of appeal by streamlining things, making the visuals and design work ultra-modern, trying to be more like western-made games, etc.
The appeal of Ni No Kuni is that it isn't doing any of that. Rather, it feels exactly like the kind of RPG that would have been released during the SNES or Playstation era, just with the advantages of today's technology. Nothing more, nothing less.
Sometimes it just works out that being a bit more "retro" will give you a fresh kind of appeal.
You could almost compare it to something like God Hand, which took a withering genre and, in a way, shot it back to its roots, cliches be damned. Same for a game like Gungrave, which removed the excesses of modern shooters at the time and ended up feeling like a simple, old-school "kill everything" shoot-em-up. Or, more recently, something like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, which are basically King's Field or Shadow Tower in third-person.
There are of course people who just won't quite "get" it. But for the people that do, it ends up feeling like something special.

The gameplay is actually pretty good in Ni No Kuni. A bit like FFXII in the way you're free to move about while choosing actions, except taking place in the more standard JRPG "arenas."
The fact that the main character isn't an angsty teenager is a biggie too. Being an actual child almost gives the game a cool sense of "new nostalgia" in a way.
It's not just that the game is pretty... trust me, I felt the same way when the game was first announced. Everyone went wild because "OMG it looks so good!" And I felt my skepticism rise because of this shallow-as-hell reception everyone was giving it.
But having played the demo and payed a bit more attention to it now, I find that it's not so much about how the game looks (for me at least) but rather how the game feels. Whether it presents a lot of cliche ideas, whether the gameplay is kind of "standard" and lacks much challenge, none of that is really mattering to me because the overall package just feels good. Like something I would have loved to play when I was a kid.
Just one of those cases where it's not about what it does different, but what it does right.

OL has received a thanks from: Bluecast
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:15 pm

Also seems to have the charm and innocence missing from a RPG since Earthbound. And back into hiding for a couple months I go.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: KiBa
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby mue 26 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 pm

Yeah I think the main appeal is that it seems to be imbued with the same whimsy and high quality that make people love Ghibli films so much. I agree that with Henry that it's by all accounts not particularly innovative and to an extent is probably playing it safe, but it looks solid and very polished in all areas. And that seems to be keeping things true to the spirit of studio Ghibli (decidedly old fashioned and very particular about quality).
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KiBa » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:31 am

You're growing out the mustache, right Blue? Can't wait to see it.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:37 am

OL wrote: It's just a matter of personal taste, really. The thing that makes it so appealing is the fact that it's not trying to be "cutting edge" or "innovative". As much as stereotypes continue to be re-tread in other JRPGs, they still keep trying to raise their level of appeal by streamlining things, making the visuals and design work ultra-modern, trying to be more like western-made games, etc.
The appeal of Ni No Kuni is that it isn't doing any of that. Rather, it feels exactly like the kind of RPG that would have been released during the SNES or Playstation era, just with the advantages of today's technology. Nothing more, nothing less.
Sometimes it just works out that being a bit more "retro" will give you a fresh kind of appeal.
You could almost compare it to something like God Hand, which took a withering genre and, in a way, shot it back to its roots, cliches be damned. Same for a game like Gungrave, which removed the excesses of modern shooters at the time and ended up feeling like a simple, old-school "kill everything" shoot-em-up. Or, more recently, something like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, which are basically King's Field or Shadow Tower in third-person.
There are of course people who just won't quite "get" it. But for the people that do, it ends up feeling like something special.

The gameplay is actually pretty good in Ni No Kuni. A bit like FFXII in the way you're free to move about while choosing actions, except taking place in the more standard JRPG "arenas."
The fact that the main character isn't an angsty teenager is a biggie too. Being an actual child almost gives the game a cool sense of "new nostalgia" in a way.
It's not just that the game is pretty... trust me, I felt the same way when the game was first announced. Everyone went wild because "OMG it looks so good!" And I felt my skepticism rise because of this shallow-as-hell reception everyone was giving it.
But having played the demo and payed a bit more attention to it now, I find that it's not so much about how the game looks (for me at least) but rather how the game feels. Whether it presents a lot of cliche ideas, whether the gameplay is kind of "standard" and lacks much challenge, none of that is really mattering to me because the overall package just feels good. Like something I would have loved to play when I was a kid.
Just one of those cases where it's not about what it does different, but what it does right.

I dunno, it's just how you feel about certain other RPGs too (with the overrated vibes pre-release), I feel this about Ni No Kuni (what the hell does that name mean, anyway?)
People are hyping the hell out of this game like it's going to save JRPGs, or something. I'll give the demo a go and see what the fuss is all about, but the game isn't speaking to me right now and I predict the game will get heaps of praise thrown at it for its simplicity and back to basics gameplay. I'm also confused on why so many people are quick to throw $100, on any game. :shock:
Just seems a bit steep, but hey, it's your money.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Strikeout » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:40 am

ni no kuni means something like another world

before the demo i had the same thought, just play the demo without any prejudice and have fun :D
Strikeout

PSN: Valnes
Currently playing: nothing special

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:54 pm

This game is like an interactive anime.

BTW is the DS version the same as the PS3 one and if so, how?
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:37 am

Looks like they finally updated the game's page with all of the goodies that were added because of the ninostarter campaign.
That coin looks pretty cool.

http://store.namcobandaigames.com/store ... usive.html
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:29 pm

south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Axm » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:56 pm

Man I really wanna play this but I think im gonna have to hold out abit longer. I have a big back log I should get through first.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:08 pm

I get this right before my birthday. So hyped!
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming