DMC [Reboot]

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Devil May Cry series

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:10 pm

That doesn't make sense to me. If you don't like something, don't pay attention to it. No publicity kills products. Bad publicity just draws attention, making sales, thus bringing in more of the same until the public finally gets tired of it.

It's like with the Transformers movies. I hated the second so much, I refused to see the third one despite it being more successful than the second. Now they're making a fourth one, which I won't see either as long as Bay is involved. All those people hating on those films probably all saw the third movie and will see the fourth movie just to gripe on how terrible the latest one is compared to the last one. What a waste of time and money, I rather spend money on things that are more likely to give me more bang for my buck rather than piss me off over how I got robbed.

All that attention grabbing noise should be for products you WANT to have, like that whole Wii RPG movement. I didn't care for that either like the DmC thing initially, but I heard about it. I knew about it. It got me interested momentarily and one day (once I get my Wii back) I might even buy them like Pandora's Tower (which i'm still interested in, I take forever to buy products I want). People are always going to be attracted to what's drawing lots of attention, whether it be a spectacle or a train wreck. So if the original intention is to get people to NOT buy the game, to NOT steer the series to a new slew of games similar to this...the fans are doing a really terrible job at it. And if it becomes a success, they'll announce another one and the whole "But WHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAIIIEE" argument is going to come up. Why? Because you shouted the loudest at it, that's why. Don't be surprised if that happens.

Journalists and Publications will always write what will get people to read their articles, so if it means posting the latest article about the Dev talking shit, Dante's hair, or a glowing review that isn't necessarily deserving...they're going to do it. Just to get people to visit the website and post to appease the advertisers, even if the resulting feedback is exceedingly negative. Controversy stirs more interest than an innocent announcement of "more of the same", sad but true.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Tuffty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:29 pm

Ok so I've read and watched reviews and you know what? Can't help but feel a little hard done by. It's basically got the same elements of a Devil May Cry game yet has slower combat and horrible character redesigns. Why all the praise? I think it's down to the fact that people playing it haven't been fans of the series or even at the least played other games in the series. When reviewers come out and hail the adaptive difficulty, or difficulty modes like Dante Must Die/Heaven and Hell/Hell and Hell as new features, when they are elements that have been in DMC 3/4, then it makes you wonder. From what I've heard from reviewers, it's almost like they're trying too hard to defend it.

Sadly, building up the style meter is easier than in past games, no doubt about that. I've seen it jump up two style levels in as many moves and all it seems like is just vary your weapons slightly and don't get hit so much. Getting a SSS in DMC3 made you feel like a god, what kind of worth does this have to offer?

This is in all likelihood a fairly good action game. It's not a Devil May Cry game.

Tuffty has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:39 pm

Well you mentioned people are going to hate on Beyond:Two Souls without playing it. Does that mean what they're saying will only have weight if they play it? Is it different from you not not seeing the Transformers movies because you dislike them?

I mean I do agree, it makes things worse to call more attention on something then its worth but you're discounted unless you experience it. Oh you didn't play Halo 4? Why not, its a core game, for hardcore gamers, whats wrong with you? You never played Two Souls how do you know you don't like it?

Even this whole DMC thing. Maybe it was just a Capcom ploy, heck it almost certainly was, but the media has constantly challenged people on why they don't like it. You yourself were saying that people who judged it before playing it were being too hasty. Then they play the demo and have what they already believed confirmed, and Capcom raises projections based on the download totals.

Right now its hard to say. Maybe it'll do well, maybe it'll flop. Its hard to say right now. Regardless of if it does well or not, I think the damage has already been done.

Look at how Capcom handles DLC. If I never spoke about the DLC, and anyone who hated it didn't buy it, that could still not be enough to make Capcom see its no worth it. If they lock something on disc, and it cost them nothing to do so, if 5 people buy it, isn't it still worth it? Boycotting Capcom over their decisions has been discouraged as being stupid and fanatical. Its getting to a point where it doesn't matter if the majority of people dislike something, or even support it, a company can end up making more money from a flop then a hit.

Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:41 pm

I still want to know if the final boss really is Virgil as a t rex eating childs tears in a time machine. :lol:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Tuffty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:44 pm

That easter egg is pretty dumb. NT could have handled this whole thing so much better. They could have gotten over it and ignored the hate long ago yet choose to bring it up at every turn even in the game itself.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:45 pm

Its just a bit of fun and they do it once[apart from him getting white patches after using the special move [what ever its called?]

Ryudo
Nope not even close.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Tuffty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:53 pm

The fact that throughout development NT have just continually ignored or given a shitty attitude towards fans doesn't make it seem like it's poking fun at all. Seems like a large fuck you. I'm surprised they just don't outright say it considering Dante's new penchant for the word.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:53 pm

...and a costume that changes his hair color
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Tuffty wrote: The fact that throughout development NT have just continually ignored or given a shitty attitude towards fans doesn't make it seem like it's poking fun at all. Seems like a large fuck you. I'm surprised they just don't outright say it considering Dante's new penchant for the word.

But a lot of the hate directed at them was because Capcom told them to change his look and all this. Ive not seen any shitty attitude from them?[not saying they haven't just not seen it] but then the way they have been attacked by many fans i really wouldn't blame them if they came out and said fuck you to some of them.

And it would seem they added the original Dante look during Devil Trigger and unlockable skin to please the fans.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:02 pm

Being a content creator to films or music or games. You know there is always vocal bunches. Some very nasty but they often take the approach to not let it get to them and hope thier work does the talking. That's what JJ Abrams did when so many were against his take on Star Trek at first. Then they saw it and most loved it. He never said yeah well the star trek you like sucks and mine is better. That is exactly what NT has done. Told us Dante isn;t cool but a joke and mine is period.

Bluecast has received 2 thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr., Tuffty
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:05 pm

Well not everyone finds the old Dante cool just like not every one likes the new Dante. It could just be their opinion or its a way of getting more attention which this game got a lot of.

Hell i would not be surprised if Capcom told them to say it seeing as they wanted them to come up with a look that would piss people off.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:08 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Well not everyone finds the old Dante cool just like not every one likes the new Dante.

In all seriousness, have you seen anyone say that they do like this new Dante, be it in looks or personality? You'll have to look very hard to find one.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:09 pm

It's true everyone has their own idea of cool. Still you don't insult fanbases. EVER. Also Dante was a clever written character. Even if not all saw him as cool the one thing that can't be disputed is clever writing. The new dante it just simply is bad writing and lazy dialogue. If people find FUCK YOU and such fine. Still doe not detract it's not clever writing.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:10 pm

Tuffty wrote:
Who Really Cares? wrote: Well not everyone finds the old Dante cool just like not every one likes the new Dante.

In all seriousness, have you seen anyone say that they do like this new Dante, be it in looks or personality? You'll have to look very hard to find one.

:lol:

Yes some don't care that he swears.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Most people are put off by small vocabularies of just four letter words esp if it's almost all they say and can comeback with.

I swear a lot but a character or a person it still bugs me when it's all they can say.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming