Metal Gear series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby Kenny » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:14 pm

They can't be any worse than Dead Cell, at least I hope not. Goofy characters without a nicely written profile really hurts the integrity of the game. Possibly the series.

And as for the atmosphere, I hope so. I personally still liked it when the series started out looking like this:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps/adventure/me ... images;all

Orange Lightning wrote:
NeoShredder wrote:The effects of light and shadow ala Splinter Cell STILL haven't been incorperated. I think with the real time shadow system it would work.

I just want to say, Thief did it before Splinter Cell.
I hate when Thief doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Thief is way more fun too.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:52 am

HOLY...SHIT!

Impressively enormous MGS4 spoilers. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

http://www.metalgearsolid.org/show_news.php?id=1348

MASSIVE SPOILERS:

[spoiler]Yet another Snatcher character/reference: Little Grey = Little John. Not to mention a MG Rex and MG Ray showdown! Holy SHIT! "Big Mama, huh" May just be Solid, Liquid and Solidus' biological mother! Johnny Sasaki is the masked member of Foxhound? Naomi Hunter needs saving? EVA in a cathedral? Olga's child in this game?
OMG!!!!111 GIVE ME SCISSORS, 61!!11 It's all going FULL circle this time...I am very hyped, now. So many fucking characters, this is going to be more epic than any other game I've ever played...[/spoiler]

And guys, I'd advise you don't watch the MGS4 trailer for TGS (tomorrow), since by the looks of that there script for it, the story spoilers will be GIGANTIC. You have been warned.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby FRASIER » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:37 am

looks too weird!!! fuck this shit!!! im going to play Hexic HD now theres a game we can all enjoy!!!-thankyou offspring
FRASIER
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:21 pm

Awesome.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Ro Shen » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:34 am

CANT WAIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ro Shen
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:46 am

Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:28 pm

That was pretty sweet.

[spoiler]Johnny as a member of FOXHOUND is probably one of the best things so far about this game. Sisqo...I mean Devin, seems pretty lame along with his anorexic monkey, but whatever. And Big Mama? LOL![/spoiler]

Link: http://www.konami.jp/gs/kojima_pro/movi ... mgs4_e.asx
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby alimn » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:03 pm

Although I've not seen new MGS4 TGS07 videos yet,
but I'm getting sick from waiting for this game and
living with videos!!! release this game right now!!!!

In 2006, they said 2007, In 2007, they said 2008,
and in 2009 maybe they say 2010!

THAT'S ENOUGH! LOL I'm joking.

To be honest whenever I see a new MGS trailer
I feel better, and I understand that there is at least one reason
to get a PS3!

(Although Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 has become my first reason!,
since I'm too interested in those Japanese locations!!!)

Regards-Alimn
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Postby ys » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:14 pm

Nice trailers. From the look of it I think I might prefer MGS3 in the end though. Seeing the trailers from that game gave me another feeling compared to now. But I think that MGS4 will be one of the only games that would make me interested in purchasing a PS3. Not that I will though for one game.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:34 pm

ys wrote:Nice trailers. From the look of it I think I might prefer MGS3 in the end though. Seeing the trailers from that game gave me another feeling compared to now. But I think that MGS4 will be one of the only games that would make me interested in purchasing a PS3. Not that I will though for one game.

Perhaps because those trailers were much more spoiler filled than these are?

Anyway, not all of the characters said to return have been shown, thankfully, so some surprises will be at hand, I'm sure.

Anyone notice how Yoji Shinkawa has been added onto the directing job alongside Kojima and Shuya Murata?

And there's one moment in the trailer where [spoiler]Raiden may be in the midst of dying![/spoiler]

And what do you all think of the [spoiler]MG Rex vs MG Ray scene? Fan service or what? :shock: [/spoiler]
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:38 pm

Fan service, indeed. It was one of those things I thought would've been cool, but never really thought it would actually happen.

Now that it has, I have to say it's kinda goofy in a way.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby ys » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:42 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
ys wrote:Nice trailers. From the look of it I think I might prefer MGS3 in the end though. Seeing the trailers from that game gave me another feeling compared to now. But I think that MGS4 will be one of the only games that would make me interested in purchasing a PS3. Not that I will though for one game.

Perhaps because those trailers were much more spoiler filled than these are?

Hm, it's not really that for me. I can't really specify what actually. I guess it might just be the general atmosphere of it all. Maybe I liked the 60'ies jungle setting. The combat was a bit more "real" (not as much hightech) with some supernatural bosses now and then.

In MGS4, a couple of things feel a little goofy in a way as Kenny mentioned. Well, a bit more than otherwise in MGS ;) I do think that the game will be awesome though. I think that it's always hard to judge his games from trailers. Playing them is usually much more engrossing than the trailer ever hinted at. With the way he builds up things etc.

By the way, what's Sisqo doing there in the game? :P

Oh, and I wonder what other settings the game will have. People wondered earlier if the whole game would be in this Middle Eastern-like setting (as so many games now). Kojima then answered that there was more to the game but we haven't seen anything different yet actually. It all seemed to be in this city setting. Maybe he doesn't want to reveal other things. Or maybe he was lying and this is it after all, hehe.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:02 pm

I know two other locations, if you really want to know (confirmed) [spoiler]Alaska (which is where the, seemingly, final battle between Solid Snake and Liquid Ocelot takes place) and South America (where Vamp and Raiden fight)[/spoiler]

I agree with you, actually, the latest trailer was too humorous for me, really; it's not really dark like the previous adventures, at all (at least the trailer indicates this). Neither is there rousing music making me pumped up. I never would have thought that the masked guy was actually 'Johnny'. Hahaha. And I thought Drebin (the arms dealer) looked more like Chris Tucker. And is it just me, or does Campbell look rather suspicious from his character render? Not to mention some very interesting character descriptions:
[spoiler]Otacon - "A scientist haunted by a terrible sin"
EVA/Big Mama - "A beacon of resistance against the Patriots, whose followers call her 'Big Mama'[/spoiler]
Oh, and guys, wanna know something that is awesome that I just learnt? Supposedly, there's a gameplay feature, where in the middle of the cutscenes, you can view a flashback, when prompted (similar to seeing The Sorrow floating about in MGS3, holding a timer, or a hint). Like meeting Meryl for the first time and mentioning an event from the past. I love that feature, will add a lot more to the story, for sure.

Now that is one feature I'm happy about! Another cool feature is that you can move the camera so freely; you can have the classic top down, brids eye view from MGS 1, 2 and 3 (not Subsistence) or the close up third person viewpoint.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Milky Joe » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:22 am

All this is really tempting me to get a PS3.
Milky Joe
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mythical Being » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:59 am

I liked the new trailer but I agree I'm not blown away by names like FROGS and big mama and thought that little beverage scuzzling monkey thing was just plain weird and had no point being there. I'm more of a fan of the epic type trailer, I wouldve prefered just seeing all the characters and them giving some tantalisingly confusing plot details. I'm still well and truly excited for this game however and have no doubt that hideo is pulling out all the stops for this one. The gameplay looks great and I love the fact that all the characters are present, its like the ultimate wet dream for metal gear fans. I dont think theres any chance ill be disapointed by the final game. Just have to find the money to buy a ps3. Trade in the piece of shit 360 I think.
Mythical Being
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming