This Gen is in the twilight so it's time to reflect

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: This Gen is in the twilight so it's time to reflect

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:44 pm

Not gotten to that series yet. Don't worry it's on the list
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Sonikku » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:53 pm

I think gamers are the poorer for this generation. I strongly suspected when I saw Xbox market place emerge years ago that there were going to be an awful lot of shenanigans. All when everyone else seemed to be focused on the "possibilities" or potential of the thing. There have been a few neat features added. But they're masked by a far more insidious shadow. The dawn of the DLC has been abused from the beginning. When things like extra teams in Madden that were unlockables in the regular $50 package on PS2 started being broken up and sold piecemeal for more over PSN and Live, on top of the default game starting out at $60 and and top of advertisements being shoe horned into the game, something is definitely wrong. It means that without that market place that content would have been included in the regular package as it had always been. Some games don't even let you see the definitive ending to the thing without paying a premium and don't even get me started on selling gamers on "bonus content" already installed onto the disc. :???:

But what really bugs me are the, well, bugs. In the last generation the only time you could patch a game over Xbox Live was when you were adding new content. Now you can whip em' out for no other reason than to fix bugs. On the surface this might sound like it can only mean games will run better as developers will be able to fix them if they ship with a flaw no one picked up on, but that hasn't been the case at all. Consoles basically became PC's. Once that delivery system existed, developers went right to work shipping buggy messes. Who the hell cares. "We can always patch it later". Consoles were blissfully unaware of this PC mentality in the past. In the past you only got one shot to get your game right. It HAD to be on the ball before being shipped. Now? Not so much. PSN and Microsoft's new take on XBL this gen feel like clever Trojan horses promising potential, but delivering crippled value and buggier experiences in it's place. It's no wonder I had to wait what seems like forever to pick up New Vegas now that it's on it's dozenth or so patch.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:32 pm

ImageImageImageImageImage

Anyone remember these? Screens shown in 2005 for Sonic Next Gen. Many debated if it was CGI or not
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:40 pm

those screens had me hype as shit man.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:44 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:those screens had me hype as shit man.

Funny how Colors was the one to set the series back on track and not this so called reboot
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:49 pm

I remember when I got really excited from those pictures. :mad: If only there was a climax in Sonic Generations when Genesis Sonic and Colors Sonic joined forces to go back in time in Gen Sonic's Future and Sonic Colors' past to the point in which Sonic 360 was made. It would be revealed that the game was a product not of Sega, but of Robotnik from a bleak future (think Sonic CD) where the industry is overrun with games with beautiful CGI, great graphics and big budgets but horrible gameplay, awful camera angles and day 1 DLC. Eggmans plan is to unleash a torrent of awful Sonic titles to turn gamer opinion against Sonic, but in the end oldschool and newschool sonic prevail and Sonic 360 never happened, erasing our memories of the nightmare forever.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Thief » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:51 pm

I'll never understand why Colors is so loved and Unleashed gets shit on.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:54 pm

Thief wrote: I'll never understand why Colors is so loved and Unleashed gets shit on.

Trololol
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:55 pm

Thief wrote: I'll never understand why Colors is so loved and Unleashed gets shit on.

thats easy

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:58 pm

Colors is just a Genesis game put in 3D as we had imagined back in the day without resorting to Nostalgia guilt trips
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Thief » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:04 am

Colors has awful gameplay, I hate the whole wisp aspect that completely breaks up and ruins the flow of the game. I suppose the same "could" be said about the werehog stages but they're really not that bad. I actually enjoyed them. I'm not a troll (fuckin' hate that word) I just don't think colors is that great... at all.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:12 am

Thief wrote: Colors has awful gameplay, I hate the whole wisp aspect that completely breaks up and ruins the flow of the game. I suppose the same "could" be said about the werehog stages but they're really not that bad. I actually enjoyed them. I'm not a troll (fuckin' hate that word) I just don't think colors is that great... at all.

No sorry. Can't be taken seriously if you say Werehog was not bad but colors had awful gameplay. Sorry no. That's just dead wrong. Don't like it fine but that's just bullshit. Had old school level design and platforming. Wisps were just classic platformer power ups. Controls were tight. Amazing visuals for the system. Good Voice Acting and clever writing. Also went back to a more colorful and innocent game as the Genesis games were. Unleashed was a step in the right direction but still went for realism and the werehog is shit. The only issues Colors had truly was no real control while jumping and the spindash was changed to power up but it was a minor setback.
It's fine to like bad games and not like another but to make such bold but false claims is another thing
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:13 am

The Wisps are just sonic powers. Drill like knuckles, lightspeed dash like sonic in adventure, or float like tails. They generally lead to a speed section so they do a good job of making the game more then "lets hold right on the d-pad" the way rush played.

There werehog was pretty bad, mostly because it never worked but also in part because it slowed things down to a crawl. The actual battle system wasn't very well thought out so enemies did a very disproportionate amount of damage and were attack sponges. That wasn't the worst part about it. "Modern platforming" is the most boring thing in the world since its a straight shot, you do the same thing every time and basically rely on holding a trigger, well that and praying the grab box on weresonic's hands actually sticks to the pole/wall/enemy/ledge and if i'm not mistaken in one of the versions of the game you had to double tap to run (aka when trying to get close to a ledge you dashed off a lot)

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:21 am

Nothing can be worse than the gem hunting or whatever the Knuckles stages in Sonic Adventure 2 were called.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:23 am

Rakim wrote: Nothing can be worse than the gem hunting or whatever the Knuckles stages in Sonic Adventure 2 were called.

Sonic 2006 makes it worse.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming