Last Game/System/Peripheral You Bought

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Last Game You Bought

Postby OL » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:39 pm

Kenny™© wrote:Dude you get shit I never even heard of before.

Well, there's a lot of stuff out there that just got glossed over and forgotten in its time. I try to go out of my way to find that stuff, because many times they were great, they just didn't get the exposure or attention they should have.
Give it 17 years, NMH and Killer 7 will probably be the same way, remembered by extremely few despite their greatness.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Jokatech19 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:38 am

I'm most surprised that you have the actual systems still. I have an NES, Saturn,and Dreamcast. I haven't been able to get my hands on an SNES or Genesis so I just have the emulators which do just fine. But to have the console.......
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby OL » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:44 am

I had to re-buy the Genesis within the past couple years, actually. I wish I still had my original, but I think my parents sold it once we got a PS1. And I didn't even have an SNES as a kid, so I actually got that for the first time the last couple years, too.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:04 pm

Hmm, same Saturn, Dreamcast, N64, SNES, and two genesis(gen 1 and gen 2) aaaaand thats it. The NES is my fiance's.

Lol new horizons, its been a looooong time.

Grabbed Ghosts N Goblins & Simon's Quest cart only along with Star Tropics complete.

Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:08 pm

Started off with Commodore 64, Master System, Game Boy, Genesis/Mega Drive, N64, CD-i (yes, yes, I know), PSX, PS2 each time my parents sold off each console for the next one. The only ones of those I re-bought was the Mega Drive, N64 and PS2. The only one I kept, funnily enough was the CD-i...kinda ironic, no?

Anywho, I just bought the first Way of the Samurai. Fun game so far, like the atmosphere.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:55 pm

My first console was the Master System, sold that when we got a Mega Drive. I didn't have a full PC until I was 13 believe it or not. My cousin had an Amiga that we played copied CD-ROM games on.
After that we had an N64 and a PlayStation. Before my brother traded the N64 for another PS1. My cousin also had a Saturn at this point. He almost bought a Sega CD because we loved playing it as this kid's club we went to one night a week.
After that I must of been the very last out of all my friends to get a PS2. Then before buying an Xbox for my 15th birthday I borrowed my cousin's Mega Drive he hang on to.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:48 pm

I think I forgot to post when I ordered this, but I just got it in the mail. Terrible cover, but the game is pretty cool:

I think the game was made by the same studio as the first X-Men game for the Genesis. It has a lot of the same sound effects, and the visual style is pretty close. The game controls a lot better though, and has some pretty cool gameplay and story concepts. Don't let the "romance novel about Nikola Tesla" cover put you off too much, it's actually a good game.
Coincidentally, I ordered it at the same time I ordered Flashback, and both games feature similar-looking jungles as their first levels:

Image Image
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:06 pm

You sure are in retro mood at the moment, Orange. That game looks really neat. Do you have a Model 1 or Model 2 Genesis?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:11 pm

Model 1. That was the one I had as a kid, so that was the one I went out of my way to find when I decided to buy a Genesis again. And I'm partial to its sort of off-center design (probably just a nostalgia thing) as opposed to the symmetrical designs of the later models anyway.
And yeah, I'm kind of in a retro mood, but at the moment it's relegated just to the games I'm buying, rather than the ones I'm playing. I'm still playing through Ys Seven, which is probably the "newest" game I have right now, and I might be following that up with Fragile Dreams for the Wii (though Flashback might sneak its way in between them, since it's not that long and I've been wanting to actually finish it for months now).

Anyway... I'm buying too many games lately, so yesterday I told myself no more until next payday, at least.
But then I saw that this game I'm looking forward to (check the nintendo forum) is gonna have an online-exclusive preorder bonus, so I figured... why not?
I was going to get the game eventually anyway, and I'm a nut for cool videogame swag.
So I ordered:

OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:59 pm

^That's a definite day one buy for me. Japanese adventure games = :D

I have a Model 1 and a Model 2 since I lost my Model 1 and after I moved house, found it again and had already bought a Model 2 by then. Still need to sell off Model 2.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:27 pm

Lufia seems to be completely flying under everyone's radar, but I've been wanting it for months now. Looks pretty cool.
And talking about it in the music topic got me to thinking about how I still didn't have a complete copy of Actraiser, even though it's one of my favorites on the SNES. So even though I already had the cart, I went ahead and snagged a new one off of ebay with the box, manual, and map.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:10 pm

:sad:

It didn't I'm just poor. Kinda hoping they do Lufia 1 and 3 also.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:57 pm

Unfortunately, it seems pretty doubtful. Far as I've heard, the game didn't do well at all in Japan, and in the US it's going pretty much unnoticed by anyone other than those specifically looking for it (I didn't even know it was actually getting a release here until I saw a listing on Amazon a week or two ago).
I still haven't gotten to play any of the original games, but they've always piqued my interest quite a bit. Seems like Lufia is doomed to remain an entirely cult franchise now, though...
Either way, Curse of the Sinistrals, from what little I've played so far, is remarkably similar to Ys SEVEN, which can't be anything but a good thing. I'll have to get into the game more at another time, but it's looking promising.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:15 pm

Well to be blunt Golden Sun ripped the game off pretty hard core. the dungeons are all interactive puzzles and you use powers, skills and tools to solve each room. It wasn't a perfect execution, Wild Arms built off it, then finally Golden sun perfected it but its kinda sad considering I've actually heard a lot of people (and even reviewers) calling Lufia a ripoff.

I think its doomed to live in Golden Sun's shadow from here on out, which is pretty sad since its such a strong series.

Thinking of grabbing it before it becomes super rare like Infinite Space.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Jokatech19 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Just got Phantasy Star Portable 2. Wanna clear up some of these RPG's before I get into it. I could literally play just my PSP and be happy. Who would ever think that about a handheld a decade ago.

Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: AC: Revelations

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming