What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby OL » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:07 am

Started playing Dead By Daylight on Steam with my brothers.
This image pretty much sums it up.

If you're playing as the survivors, you have to sneak around in a third-person perspective avoiding the killer, helping each other and/or repairing generators so you can power up an exit point and escape.
If you play as the killer, you have to hunt everyone else down from a first-person perspective and put them all on meat hooks so they can be sacrificed to some kind of evil entity.
It's from Starbreeze, so in a weird way it feels like the slasher movie version of Payday. It's a lot of fun, and so far makes for some really good jump scares and tense moments.

Also it has Michael Myers.
And yes, it plays the music when he gets near you.

OL has received a thanks from: sand4fish
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:00 pm

^ So basically it's Friday The 13th Game version 2.0 or what that game should have been? hmm Good to know.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby OL » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:57 pm

This one actually came out before Friday the 13th if I'm not mistaken. Last year or the year before, something like that. I haven't really looked at that one much myself, but I've heard it's pretty one-sided as the "killer vs. survivors" dynamic goes. Dead By Daylight is good because it actually feels pretty even, as long as everyone knows how to play. But again, haven't seen much of Friday, so I don't really know.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby myshtuff » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:38 am

Still playing Persona 5. Like 35 hours in and I've done 4 palaces. A friend of mine just beat it after 110 hours. Shit is ridiculous.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Axm » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:00 am

I got Splatoon 2 and having a blast with that.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:06 am

Turns out Dead By Daylight has some serious matchmaking issues; takes forever to find a game if I'm playing with other people, so it's just kind of on and off at the moment.

Downloaded Gog Galaxy though, so I could readily access all my old gog.com buys, and finally started playing through both Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Shadowrun Returns. Both are downright excellent so far.
I was a huge fan of Frictional Games after they made Penumbra many years back, and I recently really, really enjoyed Soma, but I hadn't tried Amnesia yet. I think what turned me off was the whole "sanity" system, and the idea that it's slowly drained if you stay in the dark and all that. Sounds like a headache and the complete opposite of fun on paper, but it's not bad at all in practice. Really, the game just feels like Penumbra 2, so I'm having a blast. These guys are some of the few game developers... nay, some of the few people working in the entertainment industry today who actually seem to understand that being "Lovecraftian" doesn't have to involve tentacled monsters or Cthulhu; it's all about a slow descent into insanity after discovering powers beyond human control. They nailed that with Penumbra, and they totally get it with Amnesia as well. These guys should really be given the license for some actual Lovecraft work.
And Shadowrun Returns was long overdue. I recently (finally) played all the way through my original SNES copy of Shadowrun from 1993 and really liked that, so I've been in the mood for some good cyberpunk. And since I've got all three of the newer Shadowrun games sitting in my Gog library, decided to give it a go. Phenomenal story so far; really well-written and well-paced. You know it's good if, in this day and age, you can keep me wanting more without even a trace of cinematic style or voice acting. Absolutely everything is from an isometric perspective and it's just filled to the brim with reading, and yet every day I can't wait to come back to my computer and get a little more under my belt. I hear that Dragonfall and Hong Kong are even better, too, so I'm pretty excited about all that.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:10 am

Currently (and slowly) playing Aragami for PS4, just a few more chapters left but as a stealth fan I'm loving this game despite some of the technical hurdles holding it back. I actually talked to a dev of this game a year ago at an event, he did mention how it was really challenging to port and optimise this unity-engine based game for PS4. A part of that is mainly because this game adopts these HUGE open and dense levels. They were a few years fresh out of uni, so experience has a big role to play here too (in terms of code optimisation). The last level i played had this super fun mini-boss battle, which had the right levels of stress/tension. I uploaded my mini-boss rage here as I felta little proud of seeing it through in one sitting without rage quitting haha: https://youtu.be/M6Bi2JnGzYANormally i play ghost/panther if I have to but in this level i needed everything under control (thus explaining the ruthless slaughtering of NPC's :p)

#parttimepacifist
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

What are you currently playing?

Postby Axm » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:25 pm

Thats it, I can't do it anymore. Mass Effect Andromeda is stale. It has a very un-compelling story. It has so much lost opportunity. The gameplay is also just a complete chore. The gunplay while decent, is not intricate or RPG-like with any of the original trilogy combat.
The environments are pretty but the faces are still weird even after all the patches.
The ships, stations and outposts are a jumbled mess and a test of patience.

Just such a disappointment. I know I'm late to the party with my complaints but I wanted to give this game alot of patching time before I jumped in and it seems no level of patch work and fixes can do this game well enough.
I was such a fan of the original trilogy. Some of my favorite games of all time. This is just a slap in the face to the series.

At this point I'm just gonna watch a cutscene compilation movie of it and never touch the game again.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:24 pm

Such a shame the Mass Effect series is now dead. Heck, most of my favourite Western IPs are dead or dying this gen - same with Deus Ex. Western RPGs on the whole this gen seem to on the whole be failing to capture the same magic as last gen (you've got your exceptions like Witcher 3 and erm, well...).

Anyway, been playing lots and lots of FFXII HD - still as magical as I remember it, in fact, I think I love it even more now, there isn't any other JRPGs out there like it with such quality VA or restraint with its presentation. The atmosphere and world building is such 10/10 mastery. Just as addictive to play through all of the Hunts as before too.

Also loving that there's new music composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto in there as well, which enhances the Ivalice atmosphere even more. New location themes (Nam Yensa Sandsea actually has its own musical theme now) and new Boss themes which are all wonderful.

Also appreciate the cast even more now, you don't get a cast of badasses like this game - Balthier (so much swagger, so much smirk - Ren might get along with him), Ashe (most badass Princess in fiction?), Basch, Fran, Reddas (rocking those pink trousers like a boss; he's also voiced by Phil La Marr so that automatically makes him cool), Larsa, Vossler (Nolan North!), Dr. Cid (most enjoyable villain in the game for me), Ba'Gamnan (Steve Blum!), The Judges (Ghis and Bergan being my favourites), Vayne, Venat (being all like "fuck the system"). The story is actually making more sense to me this time around, found it mysterious last time I played it and just let it roll, now I can see why the characters react the way they do and think the characters have understated depth to them all. Just seeing snippets of their background or hints of it (Balthier getting awkward whenever he hears about his father's lab, Vaan explaining his reason for continue his journey with Ashe etc) makes it better for me, I personally love how mysterious Yasumi Matsuno characters are. Still my favourite cast of characters in a JRPG outside of Matsuno's other games and Persona 2.

Really glad I left my second playthrough until this came out since there's plenty I've forgotten about since it's been around 6-7 years since I played it last.

Henry Spencer has received 3 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, FlagshipFighter, OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:36 pm

Deus Ex MD.. Never been so disappointed in a sequel before.

Finished with Crash Bandicoot now after working with a friend to achieve 105% on both 2 & 3. Now I'm waiting for Sonic Mania and Yakuza: Kiwami. As should you all be..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby myshtuff » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:56 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote: Deus Ex MD.. Never been so disappointed in a sequel before.

Finished with Crash Bandicoot now after working with a friend to achieve 105% on both 2 & 3. Now I'm waiting for Sonic Mania and Yakuza: Kiwami. As should you all be..

I was waiting for the new deus ex to go on sale before getting it. I also have Yakuza and sonic preordered. I can't wait.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Trevor Reznik » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:18 am

Mass Effect 2. The best standalone game in the trilogy.
Trevor Reznik
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby OL » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:58 pm

Steam recently had a sale on pretty much all Batman games, so I went ahead and got Arkham Asylum, City, and Origins. Always thought of them specifically as console games before, so getting them on PC never even entered my mind. But someone also pointed me toward a program recently that lets you use your PS4 controller on PC (essentially emulating a 360 controller), which opened me up to a lot of games I never would have bothered with on PC otherwise.
I was always a bit annoyed that the remasters they came out with for PS4 only covered the Rocksteady-developed games, ignoring Origins (my favorite one) completely, even though it clearly had the most technical issues, and really could have used a port with a little extra care.
But now it's no matter, because I can just max the settings out (or get close to it at least) on PC and have it running even better than the PS3 version ever did. No more cutscene stutter or long load times; what once felt like an only half-QA-tested game now feels every bit as solid as Rocksteady's games.
Not to mention that it looks friggin' phenomenal too. Still has some of the best visual design work in the whole series, and having it all looking as smooth and crisp as it can be is a damn dream come true. I'm pretty happy with this. Plus it's Steam, so I can take screenshots like a goddamn madman.

Beat the game and completed every Riddler puzzle (for the second time; first was on PS3, and there was at least one more playthrough before that), so then I moved on to Asylum. Origins is the only one I'd previously beaten multiple times, so this was only my second playthrough of the first game. Still great, but going back to it from the more open ones feels like a major regression, and the story is easily the silliest of them all. It's a classic, sure, but immediately going from Origins to Asylum definitely shows just how much they improved things over the years; Asylum almost feels ancient now, like a Batman version of Resident Evil. Still, I enjoyed it anyway, and went out of my way to do every single Riddler challenge, just for some semblance of completion (didn't bother with them much years ago on PS3).
And now I'm on to Arkham City. Same as Asylum, this is only my second playthrough of it, the first having been years ago. But it is pretty crazy immediately seeing again how much they added and improved between the first game and this one. City has got to be one of the most-improved sequels in the history of gaming. I'll likely aim for every Riddler puzzle in this one too. And then -- why the hell not? -- I may as well go play Arkham Knight again as well. Retardedly great game, that one was.
Hitting it all up again, I have to admit... this probably is one of my favorite series in gaming. Some of the stereotypically videogame-y elements aside (the whole "Titan Joker" thing is just goofy, though the after-effects of it do lead to some excellent story beats and elements in later games), I think I can easily consider this particular version of the Batman mythos one of the best outside of the comics, beaten only slightly by the Animated Series. Maybe. The Animated Series has the benefit of nostalgia for me, but the Arkham series just seems to nail a ittle more closely the grand majority of what I generally like to see out of Batman and his villains, and is obviously allowed to go further into "mature" territory than TAS ever could.
Even though Knight caps things off really nicely, I actually do want to see another game set in this universe, even if it is another prequel. I heard a ways back that there might be another game in development by WB Montreal, who did Origins. All just unsubstantiated rumors, but it'd be nice if it turned out to be true. Some of the rumors also suggested that Roger Craig Smith would be back as Batman, Troy Baker would play the Joker again, and that the story would involve the Court of Owls. Might be no truth to any of it, but goddamn, does it all sound great to me anyway. One can hope.
I also wouldn't mind a solo Nightwing game, but that's just me fantasizing like a fanboy. That teensy little DLC episode with him in Knight just whet my appetite for it.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:51 am

I'm playing The Lion's Song, The Pillars of the Earth, and Sonic Mania.

TLS I'm on the final chapter, and it's a little slow. it has a nice theme, but basically has the same 'cadence' to the narrative in the first two chapters, so the third is kinda underwelming.

The Pillars of the Earth looks like a pretty solid narrative adventure game (not much puzzles here).

Sonic Mania is pretty awesome for what it is.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:40 am

Origins is my favourite n'all. Never understood the hate. And I'd say the Arkham series defo has the DCAU beat. The one thing that I understood in a story context but wasn't massively a fan of was the Tim n Babs pairing. But I suppose that's just coz I'm a BatStan (yeah, that's right, I just invented a new term)

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming