What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What games are you playing?

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon May 09, 2011 8:05 am

Mirror's Edge, FIFA 09 and GTA IV.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Mon May 09, 2011 9:59 am

Japan release was cancelled so I had to import*

and Sonic DX Cut.. (was in the mood for playing with the blue hedgehog today)
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon May 09, 2011 11:24 am

Time to go back and finish the DLC.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Mon May 09, 2011 6:27 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote:Image

Time to go back and finish the DLC.

The visuals in ilomilo are superb. Only played the trial but it seems really nice and casual to play with someone.
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby OL » Mon May 09, 2011 11:16 pm

Fucking finally beat the 3rd Birthday.
Not that it was long by any means (only about 12 hours), it's just that I really had to force myself to keep playing. Most of the things I liked/disliked about it still stand. The gameplay is the best shooting action I've played on the PSP, the graphics are incredible for a PSP title, the music is really good... but on the flip side of that, the characterizations of almost all returning characters feels really "off", the voice acting and script are pretty amateurish, enemies are basically bullet sponges (take way too many hits to kill), and the pacing is just... not good.
My opinion of it is pretty split.

However, one complaint I had before is actually cleared up by the end of the game, though it could be seen as too little, too late. I was initially really put off by how wimpy Aya acts, always gasping and shrieking at every turn of events, tears always running down her cheeks... just generally acting like a little girl, which was a complete 180 from the tough, cool Aya we know from the original two Parasite Eve games.
Well:
It turns out she actually is a little girl. Throughout the entire game, you're not playing as Aya at all. You're actually playing as Eve (the good one, the little girl one from Parasite Eve 2). In a moment of desperation, she dives her own consciousness into Aya's body (which I suppose isn't actually all that unreasonable a power, since she's supposed to be derived from the original Eve's genes), which sets of a weird, complicated series of events... I'm still a little foggy on the specifics, but it goes a long damn way in explaining why Aya isn't the Aya everyone was expecting initially.
And in my eyes, it actually was kind of a cool twist.
Only problem is, it kind of ruins the rest of the game a bit. No one wants to play as little girl Eve. We want to play as Aya.
And even worse, the game basically ends with Aya ceasing to exist. I really have no idea why they would do this and shoot down the possibility of ever playing as Aya again. Sure, they could bring her back, but it would require yet more out-there, forced supernatural developments, which I think are pretty clearly not welcome anymore.

So yeah, my feelings on it are incredibly mixed, possibly more so than I've felt about any game in a long time. It's certainly not a proper successor to the Parasite Eve series. Not the kind I would want anyway. And it is kind of a chore to get through, and usually fails to give you much in the way of incentive to keep going. But it definitely does have certain merits which make it an oddly unique experience.
Hard to pin this one down.
I don't love it, don't hate it, and I'm certainly not "meh" about it, since I obviously have some strong feelings about it. It's just hard to say exactly what those feelings are.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon May 09, 2011 11:28 pm

Your avatar is creeping me the fuck out. That is all.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue May 10, 2011 1:10 am

I have to sadly say I think the game sucks. It has good points, its not total balls but its very very shallow. It looks great and sounds great and the gameplay does work despite being a bit wonky it boils down to being very very generic. I'd love to just say "its a good tps for psp" but it tries very very hard to be seen like a console tps and because of that I grew more disinterested in how incredibly mundane it was. Even the mission setups and interface were boring as hell. Its not a bad game but its faults are very bad while its better aspects are either boring or wasted on a game that in itself is so very pointless and even insulting.

I got no enjoyment from the game, I kept forcing myself to play but in the end I was just dumbstruck at how bad the ending was.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 10, 2011 1:29 am

I await dorians response whenever he figures it out he can post. :lol:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue May 10, 2011 6:10 am

Orange sounds like me when I completed MGS4.

Similarly to Orange, I'm currently playing another game penned by Motomu Toriyama and I simply don't have a fucking clue what is going on, nor do I have an incentive to complete it despite the good gameplay (lo, and behold it's the same director of 3rd Birthday too). It is also for PSP. Can you guess which game this is? ;-)

I can see where Dorian was coming from now, the guy just cannot write.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Tue May 10, 2011 7:14 am

OL wrote:Fucking finally beat the 3rd Birthday.

Is Deadly Premonition next?

I've started playing Singularity yesterday. So far, a bit of a... soviet F.E.A.R.
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue May 10, 2011 9:55 am

Henry Spencer wrote:Orange sounds like me when I completed MGS4.

Similarly to Orange, I'm currently playing another game penned by Motomu Toriyama and I simply don't have a fucking clue what is going on, nor do I have an incentive to complete it despite the good gameplay (lo, and behold it's the same director of 3rd Birthday too). It is also for PSP. Can you guess which game this is? ;-)

I can see where Dorian was coming from now, the guy just cannot write.

I thought birth by sleep played like ass tho. I mean the game freezes for a good 20 seconds when you pause. I'm getting very annoyed that development on Versus got pause to make these games.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue May 10, 2011 11:34 am

Nope, it's not Birth By Sleep. Another clue is it is one game I know for a fact that Orange loves endearingly. I'm only renting the game, mind you but it's got a pretty good gameplay system, hampered by the ridiculous amount of game freezing moments where you're pretty much relying on sheer luck to level up. Crazy.

Bad design. 20 hours into it so far, so the game must have some pull, otherwise I'd have given up thanks to the semi-retarded storyline with good characters in it.

Oh, and one of the major characters just died and the main character is randomly on the beach doing squats. Again. I got the joke the first time around, it's like some stupid, snotty kid who can't stop telling a joke over and over again because it made you chuckle a little bit.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue May 10, 2011 11:46 am

Crisis Core is fucking awesome. In absolutely no way do I see it as having the same writing problems as 3rd Birthday. Crisis Core was entertaining as hell for me. That's also considering I'm a big FFVII fan, so that might have something to do with it. I felt like the atmosphere, world, and style of FFVII were all recreated incredibly well.
And so ya know, the leveling up isn't as random as you think. The game keeps track of XP as you defeat enemies, it just doesn't show it to you. May seem retarded at first, but the slot machine element is actually important during the last bit of the game.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue May 10, 2011 11:50 am

Okay, since you're such a big fan, explain to me what in the hell Genesis and Angeal are all about then? Genesis especially blabbers on about completely nothing for ten hours. I just want to understand what is going on.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue May 10, 2011 11:57 am

OL, I'm sorry, but the story is pretty retarded. I swear to god if I hear "Gift of the goddess" one more time I'm gunna shank someone. This whole things makes no sense either, instead of filling in plot wholes they decided to go back and retell a part of the story and add a whole new set. Its not as bad but still pretty bad. and there are a lot of nostalgia moments and fanservice thats really transparent (like the way he meets Aerith) I mean doing somthing like that is fine, but the whole game is like that, most of midgard is a reference to the early parts of ff7 with very little of it actually being original.

No, the experience system isn't random, but it is very stupid. You can got up 5 levels because you haven't been lucky enough to get the one level up earlier on, and how the levels affect your stats is just so damn weird and WHY WHY does everything revolve around slots WHY

the guy is a fucking ancient, he's special he has no kind of gambling gimmick, he's got no real reliance on lady luck, why the fuck does the gamply in a game about him playout like its about Setzer.

I don't hate the game I just think they dropped the ball. Theres a lot of potential, but its just like 3rd birthday a game with a good amount of polish but no real attention to story. I find myself wandering around midgard more often they actually doing missions (again same shitty mission based setup with the same interface and crappy inventory system as well)

Henry Spencer wrote:Okay, since you're such a big fan, explain to me what in the hell Genesis and Angeal are all about then? Genesis especially blabbers on about completely nothing for ten hours. I just want to understand what is going on.

Blah blah gift of the goddess blah

Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming