What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What games are you playing?

Postby Oppy » Tue May 03, 2011 6:47 am

^Its just a piss poor excuse really, even if the source code was lost, any good dev should be able to reverse engineer the game and retrieve its core elements.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue May 03, 2011 1:40 pm

Oppy wrote:^Its just a piss poor excuse really, even if the source code was lost, any good dev should be able to reverse engineer the game and retrieve its core elements.

All the code is there, all the parts that make the machine move are on the disc, it would take a bit of time, but its just like you said.

With that said the Saturn is a very strange machine. Its library is not quite as niche or obscure as the Mega CDs but its pretty close. Its a pretty hardcore console that actually got a lot of great shit (and in a lot of cases had the superior original version or superior port to a few PSX classics like Grandia, Suikoden and Symphony of the Night)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue May 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Doesn't the Saturn have legendary status when it comes to programming? I seem to recall a lot developers saying it was so hard to work on. That is the real reason why we're probably never getting a "best of Saturn" collection from Sega whilst Genesis/Mega Drive it's dime a dozen.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 03, 2011 3:52 pm

Saturn was amotherfucker to program for.

Originally was to be a 2D machine but when they caught word of PSone specs they made alast minute change and added a second chip. Saturn had amazing ability for the time (shenmue on saturn) but it was easier to program for n64 and even that was a bitch.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue May 03, 2011 3:59 pm

Well middleware didn't exist, anything made for the console had to be made for the console. Mostly because of the multiple cores (which is always really "FUN" to work with hence other multi core machines ie N64 and PS3 also had some hurdles in terms of development)

another thing that made it really hard was the fact that they were either proprietary or heavily customized parts. so a lot of the games are processing functions that are asking specific parts to do specific things, so its difficult to emulate the console properly. its not like porting a ps game to ps3 or a gamecube game to 3ds, most of the parts are the same make, usually a newer model or a similar build, most of the sega parts were made by something that doesn't exist anymore, so re-releasing these games would more then likely involve reworking them.

I'm not above doing it to be honest. There are a lot of hungry developers that would be willing to convert code (for shits and giggles I've been re-writing Rent a Hero in J script to run on 3ds) its more a matter of companies not wanting to really put any money into it.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 03, 2011 4:04 pm

Never had a saturn so would love if the re-rleased some games.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Oppy » Tue May 03, 2011 4:21 pm

Saturn was a fucking boss of a machine, I never really had many games for it as no game stores in my hometown supported it, so I had to go to Melbourne to get games (which was a hastle when I was 13 years old).
Just wish my saturn still workek properly, It boots and plays games fine for about 20 minutes then decides to just turn off, then i have to pull out the power cable and insert it again to turn it on. Would love to play nights again.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Myles » Tue May 03, 2011 4:23 pm

I sold my Saturn ages ago like I sold most of my systems, but you guys are right, boss of a machine no doubt! It was like the dreamcast, but not as "cheap" feeling.
Myles
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue May 03, 2011 4:28 pm

I honestly think Saturn is home to more...weird games than any other console. I should set up a live feed and show you some of the gems for the system sometime.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 03, 2011 4:31 pm

I want to play Princess Crown and astal on it.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Oppy » Tue May 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:I honestly think Saturn is home to more...weird games than any other console. I should set up a live feed and show you some of the gems for the system sometime.

Make some youtube vids for us :)
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue May 03, 2011 4:41 pm

Had no idea about tech back then and could never understand the hate the Saturn got. Beast of a machine with many great games and for me started the golden era of Sega games that went onto the Dreamcast then sadly died about 2 years after Sega left the hardware game.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 03, 2011 4:44 pm

The hate is just because it was popular to hate on the losing console. But can't deny Sega FUCKED up the launch in the US. Didn't tell retailers they were getting a new system. They thought a surprise launch would be amazing and call it SATURNday. It was DOA.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue May 03, 2011 4:45 pm

Oppy wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:I honestly think Saturn is home to more...weird games than any other console. I should set up a live feed and show you some of the gems for the system sometime.

Make some youtube vids for us :)

You never know, I may have a voice like Invisible Crane. :lol:
I'd like to do a live feed though since seeing your reactions to a batshit weird game like Torico will result in sheer hilarity, no doubt.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue May 03, 2011 4:47 pm

Ryudo wrote:The hate is just because it was popular to hate on the losing console. But can't deny Sega FUCKED up the launch in the US. Didn't tell retailers they were getting a new system. They thought a surprise launch would be amazing and call it SATURNday. It was DOA.

Was it that bad? I thought they simply gave all stock to certian stores at first ignoring others?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming