What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:59 am

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishment. I like the fact that you have to decide for yourself who out of the suspects is guilty, but they make it kinda obvious which are dead leads and which are completely relevant to the caee. Just finished the third last night n called it almost instantly. To me that's a bad sign. Also ain't happy that the Manc in it sounds like he was born in Ireland n raised in Bristol.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:20 am

Jesus Christos.
Deception II just got even more evil. I thought it was messed up when you kill the innocent villager at the very beginning, but the game just ramped itself up.
Played a mission where a father invades the castle hoping to find something to cure his ailing son. Can't let him poke around, so I killed him. Par for the course with this game. Flung him onto a bed of spikes, then dropped a jar of oil on his head and ignited him with a fire arrow.
But then his completely innocent wife and son (who couldn't have been more than about ten years old, roundabout) show up looking for him. I probably could have just let them leave the castle... but I wanted to rack up as many points as possible.
So I smashed the wife under a stone column, then snagged the kid's legs in a bear trap and blew him up with a rolling bomb. :lol:
I would say that I feel bad about it, but all I keep thinking is how metal as hell this game is.
Fucking shocking that it didn't freak the hell out of parent groups back in the day. Must have just passed them by, which is odd since it perfectly encapsulates everything the older generation though about videogames back then; it literally awards you points for murdering people. :devillaugh:
And god help me, this might be some of the most fun I've had with a videogame in a while. Good ol' PS1.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:11 am

I finally picked up Yakuza 4 again, and finished Saejimas part and moved on to the next character who i will start playing tomorrow. Saw some needed back story for Majima, and some that wasnt Kazuma related. I wanna finish this game out then move onto some other games that came out recently and are in my backlog.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:29 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishment. I like the fact that you have to decide for yourself who out of the suspects is guilty, but they make it kinda obvious which are dead leads and which are completely relevant to the caee. Just finished the third last night n called it almost instantly. To me that's a bad sign. Also ain't happy that the Manc in it sounds like he was born in Ireland n raised in Bristol.

Well, you're at least a fifth retarded coz you put more emphasis on motive for the first case and didn't account for the measurements in the second. Idiot.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:50 pm

OL wrote: Jesus Christos.
Deception II just got even more evil. I thought it was messed up when you kill the innocent villager at the very beginning, but the game just ramped itself up.
Played a mission where a father invades the castle hoping to find something to cure his ailing son. Can't let him poke around, so I killed him. Par for the course with this game. Flung him onto a bed of spikes, then dropped a jar of oil on his head and ignited him with a fire arrow.
But then his completely innocent wife and son (who couldn't have been more than about ten years old, roundabout) show up looking for him. I probably could have just let them leave the castle... but I wanted to rack up as many points as possible.
So I smashed the wife under a stone column, then snagged the kid's legs in a bear trap and blew him up with a rolling bomb. :lol:
I would say that I feel bad about it, but all I keep thinking is how metal as hell this game is.
Fucking shocking that it didn't freak the hell out of parent groups back in the day. Must have just passed them by, which is odd since it perfectly encapsulates everything the older generation though about videogames back then; it literally awards you points for murdering people. :devillaugh:
And god help me, this might be some of the most fun I've had with a videogame in a while. Good ol' PS1.

I definitely think Deception 2 is the most twisted "you're the bad guy" game I've played yet. In Trapt there is hidden "super traps" that rack up insane amounts of points one of which involves getting soldiers fed through an enormous clock's mechanism, getting crushed by the cogwheels along the way and being spit out at the top. And yes, you can do this to women and children in the game too, don't matter if you're a kid looking for your parents or an old woman who is sick. Makoto Shibata is one fucked up dude.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:49 pm

Wow, Tanimuras chapters in Yakuza 4 were really starting to remind me a bit of Infernal Affairs. I really enjoyed his part of the game so far, now I am playing through Kazumas chapters. Its almost like you get 4 compact games plus the finale in one collective package with Yakuza 4, its a very interesting setup that I would argue is probably the best in the series from continuity and game play stand point. I understand why everyone said this was the new direction the series needed now, im impressed with it when I was initially skeptical about it. Bravo. =D>

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:24 pm

Game is insane. I mean, it starts out relatively like a normal adventure game then where I'm at now has steered off a cliff into batshit crazy mode, in typical Kotaro Uchikoshi style (writer/director of 999 and Virtue's Last Reward/Good People Die). Loving it so far. It has some of the best "choices/outcomes" I've seen for a video game, honestly. It's the third and final game in the Zero Escape (AKA Extreme Escape - basically Escape Room Adventure games) and doesn't disappoint.

The music from Shinji Hosoe (Tekken and Ridge Racer composer) is the best in the series too.

I mean, it got so crazy at one point with characters going that crazy and it getting so intense that I laughed so hard at it. Especially since they keep showing this crazy scene over and over again. GOTY so far if it keeps up the momentum knocking off Dark Souls 3.

Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:31 pm

^^I still haven't even beaten Virtue's Last Reward.
Not for lack of interest (I bought it at launch for both the 3DS and Vita, after all), I just have to find the right mood, right moment. I still find it funny how I was probably one of the earliest folks in the west to get super-excited about 999 (soon as it was announced, while pretty much no one else was paying any attention to it, I was reading up on it and already busting a nut; preordered before there was any hype), and yet I'm always late to the party with actually playing this series. :lol:
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:07 am

I beat 999 and got a bad ending, tried again, and got another bad ending and then just stopped. I quite enjoyed the game, but I found it a little frustrating with all the branching paths (after the first playthrough). Maybe I'll just look at the endings for the first game online and go straight to Virtues Last Reward. 999 was fairly enjoyable.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:34 am

Fallout 3. Spent 10+ hours working on my settlement then got bored of the game.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby OL » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:04 pm

Thief wrote: I beat 999 and got a bad ending, tried again, and got another bad ending and then just stopped. I quite enjoyed the game, but I found it a little frustrating with all the branching paths (after the first playthrough). Maybe I'll just look at the endings for the first game online and go straight to Virtues Last Reward. 999 was fairly enjoyable.

Have to say, it's certainly more replay-friendly than most games regardless, being that you can essentially skip through all the stuff you've already seen, and it highlights the choices you've already made, keeping you informed of what not to do. Handy stuff that most games normally wouldn't give you.
I found it to be worth it though. I got about two bad ending myself initially, but this was one of those rare cases where getting the true ending really is a reward in and of itself; absolutely fantastic story.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:27 pm

So I've beaten it and well...more than a little bit disappointed. The ending makes the game feel really unfinished (more than likely caused by lack of budget since half of the ending has been relocated to post-game files and it was so abrupt, seems like pretty much all of the fanbase feel the same way too looking online). I'm both sad that the series is now officially over and also sad that Uchikoshi obviously wanted to do more with the series but had to cut it short due to lack of funding [as a consequence of the awful sales in Japan for the previous games]. It really is a shame since the first 80-90% of this game though is so darn good before the ending almost shits the bed. The ending does spoil the proceedings a little but I'll get over it since the rest of the game was so consistently good. It's just full of Deus Ex Machina and feels similar to another series ending, don't want to spoil which since none of you have played this game yet, but yeah, felt like a dud to me. As for the res tof the game, it's full of really intense choices and surprising moments. Sometimes it got so intense that I actually burst out laughing, especially concerning how certain characters go batshit insane in this game.

But it did make me smile seeing the passion from the development team thanking the fans for making this third game happen after there was a potential Shenmue 3 situation here. I kinda hope that whatever Uchikoshi does next does well for him. I kinda want to track down his earlier work now like Remember11 and 12Riven which both sound great too.

OL wrote: ^^I still haven't even beaten Virtue's Last Reward.
Not for lack of interest (I bought it at launch for both the 3DS and Vita, after all), I just have to find the right mood, right moment. I still find it funny how I was probably one of the earliest folks in the west to get super-excited about 999 (soon as it was announced, while pretty much no one else was paying any attention to it, I was reading up on it and already busting a nut; preordered before there was any hype), and yet I'm always late to the party with actually playing this series. :lol:

Yeah, I remember us being the only two talking about it back then as it just came out (it didn't even come out over here actually, thank goodness for region free DS's, ah a time when Nintendo were on top of their game).

You really should get on VLR though, I'm tempted to say it's my favourite of the three despite not being as "dark" or "unsettling", I think it's the best written and most mysterious plot of the three. Each game has its strengths and I like all three for different reasons.

Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:44 pm

I bought 999 years ago when you guys kept going on about it since I have a soft spot for visual novels but have never opened it. I'm a bit unsure if I should play it at this point though since there has been rumours of a HD version.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:45 pm

^^An HD version wouldn't be possible at all on current systems. That sounds like an exaggeration, but it's true; one of the major plot points near the end of the game requires the use of the dual screens of the DS. Without them, nothing would make sense.
Maybe the Wii-U could kind of pull it off, but it's still kind of important that the screens be one on top of the other, rather than one built into the controller.
So yeah, I doubt the rumor. And if it comes to fruition anyway, then it certainly isn't going to be the same experience.
If you're in the mood for a visual novel type of game at the moment, I say just pop open the DS version.

OL has received a thanks from: Raithos
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:09 pm

Yeah its definitely coming. They announced it at Anime Expo 2016 earlier this month. Its most likely just a Steam port as they have been porting all their other titles to Steam the past year or so. Not sure exactly how they plan to adjust things with no dual screens though. I would just play the DS one Riku.

phpBB [video]

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming