What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby OL » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:54 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:I'm still blown away that Tecmo-Koei even greenlit another entry in this series after all of this time (we're talking about a series here that hadn't been seen or heard of since circa 2005), let alone localized it at all, since it is so niche and unknown. I had literally never heard of the series myself until like a year ago.

It should still be said, just as a side note, that Deception IV does feel a bit "budget-y" in a way (despite being released at full price). The graphics may as well be PS2-quality, and the presentational aspects are pretty low-end (no cinematic cutscenes so far; all the storytelling is done through character portraits laid over backgrounds, so in a way it could be seen as a step down from Trapt, production value-wise). Not that any of that affects the experience; it's still a hell of a fun game. Just thought it should be noted. It almost feels like a handheld game made for a console, which I suppose makes sense, since it's also on the Vita.
But yeah, that was probably part of how it got greenlit; the creators probably agreed to a really modest budget.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:26 pm

More Remember Me.

Still kinda meh. The only thing I can think of while playing this is "wasted potential".
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:38 pm

Kenny wrote: More Remember Me.

Still kinda meh. The only thing I can think of while playing this is "wasted potential".

Starting to think I'll skip it. I want to make more time for exercising (& to start Policenauts)..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:35 am

It got better a little later, probably cause I got used to the combat and vaulting, until the game decided to be a gigantic asshole and throw in enemies that depletes your energy when you hit them and enemies that can only be hit when you activate your stun power who can stun you allowing other enemies to get a free hit on you (all while simultaneously trying to hit and dodge OTHER enemies around you).

This is seriously one major headache. And don't get me started on the narrative...
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:44 am

*insert obnoxious shrugging gif here*
Eh, I think you're being a little hard on it, but I guess that's me. I remember liking how balanced the game was, actually; new enemies get introduced which seem cheap at first, but become a walk in the park after you get the strategy for beating them down. I don't think I ever ended up feeling all that frustrated by the game, really. It's just a matter of knowing which enemies to tackle first or which ones to save your health-regenerating moves for, if I remember correctly (but it has been kind of a while since I played it).
In terms of everything else, I still think it's important to take into account that it was a totally new IP by a first-time development studio; it's completely, utterly bound to be imperfect, but I thought the effort to create something new and a bit different was a pretty competent one. There's not a whole lot of room for the game to spread its wings narratively, but what's there wasn't bad, I thought, and the fact that it's as gorgeous to look at (despite not being triple-A) and as amazing to listen to (that soundtrack still blows me away) as it is count for a lot.
But y'know, to each his own. Can't expect everyone to love all the same stuff, I suppose.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:29 pm

I don't think so, especially since I read other players were having the same complaints I was having. Having to build up your "S-Pressens" when you absolutely need them was especially tedious.

I beat the game already and I have to say, the Memory Remixes are the best part of the entire game. Not just to play through them but also on a story level. That's what also made it very frustrating, the story is so ho-hum until these segments occur then it started to get more interesting. Other than that and the beautiful level designs (especially the last level), I still think it could've been better. I wasn't that impressed with the soundtrack either, the main theme sounded very 1950s Sci-Fi with the WHEEEO WHEEEO sound effect. Ack, that was an annoying creative choice.

So first game or not, I'm judging it on its own merits. I'm interested in anything this developer does in the future (based on the best qualities in this game), but I hope they learned what doesn't work and make a better sophomore effort.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:12 am

I've been playing Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and I have to say I'm really pleased. I'm horrible at being able to put my thoughts into words but whatever.., fuck it -- I'll try.

I'm not bothered by Keifer Sutherland but it did feel a little jarring to me (although this may be because I just replayed Snake Eater and Peace Walker) -- and the length is whatever. I swear to god that's all any review I've read has to say about this game. Didn't care for the slowdown option when caught (I hear you can turn it off?) and the marking enemies system is A-OK by me... and damn near essential. The open world is cool as shit and totally fitting -- Phantom Pain is going to be off the hook.

Still need to play the other missions and then go for S-ranks... and then just fart about for a while... driving tanks.

Buy the game -- you are not condoning shit by purchasing this game (demo -- who gives a fuck). You don't vote with your wallet because your vote doesn't mean bologna -- if you want the game then buy it but don't avoid it because you think boycotting blah blah blah blah blah.

F-in Metal Gear for $30 -- c'mon. Metal.

Thief has received 3 thanks from: Bambi, Kenny, OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:45 am

Playing a bit of Ground Zeroes myself.

As a game, it's great. I like the large area to snoop around in, reminds me a bit of MGS3. I'm expecting the areas are bigger in Phantom Pain.

I'm not that far into it yet, but Keifer Sutherland's alright. It's a little weird to no hear Hayter voice come through Snake but I guess i'll get used to it.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:37 am

Finally got all my systems in the mail and am now playing MGSVGZ on PS4 with my new Sony TV. :)

Axm has received a thanks from: Bambi
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:19 am

DuckTales: Remastered.

Pretty hard but really fun platformer.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:36 am

Finally got to download the Left Behind DLC for The Last of Us.

Axm has received 2 thanks from: Mitsuzuki, Yama
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Axm » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:48 pm

Finished Left Behind... brilliant. Loved it.
Finished TWD season 2 ep2. Loved it!
Now on to The Wolf Amoung Us ep. 2 and 3.

Axm has received a thanks from: Kenny
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:17 pm

Tekken Revolution.

Man, it doesn't cease to amaze me how many cry babies there are in this game.

Kenny has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:52 am

Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Good shit so far, though I need to play Conviction before I get rid of my XBOX 360.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Thu May 01, 2014 6:02 am

I just played the Child of Light demo on PS4.
Really impressed by it. For those that dont know its a very artistic turn based RPG with alot of unique mechanics. Fully recommed it.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming