What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:41 pm

So I checked out Terra Battle for android because why not? Its free. The battles are pretty interesting actually, and there are cool bonuses and buffs depending on how your characters are positioned on the grid. You can also recruit new members to your party at taverns and your traverse the land similarly as you do in FFT, you have a world map and different marked locations on said map that have new chapters, battles, and taverns to recruit new allies. Doesnt seem bad at all for a phone game, even though its pretty much all battles as the meat of the game, I only checked it out cause it was mistwalker. I'll probably play it in my spare time when im bored.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Jokatech19
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:43 am

The Evil Within. It's way harder than any other survival horror game released in years. They really emphasised the "survival" part of the term with this game. This is really not RE4 at all (the gameplay is completely different, despite both being directed by Shinji Mikami and have the same camera), despite people saying it was over and over. Wrong. It's far more like Siren: Blood Curse [stealth/hide/running away as fast as you can, practically no bullets, use the environment to your advantage etc taking importance over actual combat - of course, there are boss battles too]. And as you can see from the reviews/feedback, the response is mixed as hell. People who were expecting a shooty bang bang will no doubt be disappointed, but those of us who have played our fair share of survival horror have plenty to enjoy with this game.

We haven't had a survival horror game like this in years (imo, not since Siren: Blood Curse). I'm loving it so far.

Besides, games that receive such "love it or hate it" response? My kind of game.

Henry Spencer has received 3 thanks from: Axm, OL, Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Axm » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:42 pm

Suprisingly not out in Japan yet but picking it up when it comes out here.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Yeah I'm enjoying it a lot. The one thing I don't like, which I had no problem with until I got to the first stealth part, are the black bars from it being letter box. At first I thought it was awesome, gave it a very unique look. And then it started blocking my field of view and affecting my game play when I was trying to sneak around. Not game breaking, but definitely noticeable.

It happens every time I enter a stealth part, even as far back as chapter 1 when you are sneaking around from the chainsaw guy. At times the black bars cover the exact spot where the enemy is, or where you need to go, making it more difficult to see them and get around than it needs to be. Moving is and out of that room was more painful that intended I'm sure. It gets worse later in the game when things get more difficult.

Small grip I know, but its removable on PC so hopefully they patch in an option on PS4 too. Other than that I honestly don't have any complaints. Other than needing some new pants :)
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby YAZUKI PS4 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:47 pm

evil within aliens isolation nba 2k15 child of light last of us remastered metro redux for PS4 tales of xilllia 2 uncharted 2 last of us demons souls skyrim for ps3 :heart: :king:

YAZUKI PS4 has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
YAZUKI PS4
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: PS4

Postby OL » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:11 pm

Your posts read like you're in a serious hurry.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Oppy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:04 pm

Trying to beat Kenny at Tekken tag 2 whilst shredded on ecstasy was a new experience...

Oppy has received a thanks from: Kenny
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby south carmain » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:09 pm

Honest question, is there anything aussies do without being shitfaced?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Oppy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:26 pm

:-k hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Driving, i think thats all..
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Peter » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:24 pm

Nah. You do that shit faced too I've seen it lol.

Henry iso it worth buying?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Axm » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:04 am

The Evil Within. aka..
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:25 pm

I started up Fairy Fencer F today, and I was pleasantly surprised, I mean its not anything mind blowing or does anything new and spectacular, it mainly is just a refreshing mix up from what im normally used to. There arent towns to explore as they present them as icons on a map which you can choose and have selection of people/things to interact with once inside, the only time you control your character are in dungeons, and while that may seem dull, it works well to get straight to the point of upgrading items, talking to folks at the pub, so it makes it a little bit less time consuming and tideous in the running around to every little thing, also its setup to use more time in the menu and upgrading your characters and specing them, which is cool and there are a bit of options which is also good.

One of the best parts is the anime inspired presentation, I love the designs of the characters and their fashion, you really have to be used to some anime inspired story and characters to fully appreciate it though. The characters are so unusual from what im used to, its just charming to me, but there is plenty of silly dialogue and anime humor and perversions to keep my chuckling and some times even shaking my head along the way.

The Art direction is fine, but the visuals are choppy, well the models anyway, the slightly moving anime art during the cut scenes and events are gorgeous. Its totally obvious this is a japanese game from the way its done and presented, it reminds me a bit of old school japanese PC games from about 10+ years ago, when you enter a city for example you choose your destination, and once inside its back ground with your characters art doing what ever event or option you chose. Also, this things music was co-produced by Uematsu, and it shows, there was a particular tune I recognized instantly as his work, but its not exactly your usual Final Fantasy score, the music has a very japanese feel.

The whole game is almost a throw back for me, it really riles up my inner anime fan, and its unusual characters and scenario really make it a fresh experience and something different from the norm from my usual JRPG ventures, and I like the mixture it brings. I would reccomend this game to anime fans, it would also work well as a beginners game wanting to get into JRPGs because its very simply setup, atleast in terms of its world anyway, yet it still has great art direction the world and areas are great to look it, if only they just werent so choppy, thats my biggest complaint so far, the free roaming areas and models are choppy.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Jokatech19 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:34 pm

Recently, I was talking to my brother about the new generation of gaming. I was telling him that I finally got a chance to play the PS4. I know alot of people are supporters of the new generation, but personally, I feel like the industry has everyone thoroughly brainwashed. My friend just sold his PS3, and all of his games to get his PS4, and after being so excited, he now sees why I warned him about this new generation of games. He has a 72 inch TV, and we played 2K15, and Madden 25 on it. The graphics are no better than the last generation. I keep hearing all of this talk about the step forward that games have taken, and I can't help but shake my head. I won't even hold the console and controller glitches against the PS4, which I could. It just doesn't warrant starting over again. Every 3-5 years it looks like you'll be forced to get a completely new system and library. I can't agree with that. I respect that some like it.

I'm playing Assassin's Creed Revelations right now. I have a 40 inch, but I actually play in my study- since it's hard to find time these days, on a 18 inch. It's actually, a very good looking TV. When I look at the AC graphics, and how they got even better from Brotherhood to Revelations, I can't see myself investing in an Xbox One. Maybe being visually impaired to a degree keeps me from appreciating sharper visuals, but I don't really notice any substantial improvement in graphics. I feel like they give you more of the same thing, in a different way, and tell you it's unprecedented, and most people just eat that right up somehow.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby Axm » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:48 am

Anyone playing a mediocre PS3 sports game basically upscaled to PS4 on a rediculous 72' TV will no doubt see hardly a difference.

The fact is the new generation of consoles ARE better. You have many bad examples of multiplatform/multigenration games from lazy DEVELOPERS not putting in the work to take advantage of the hardware. Then theirs many first party exclusives doing 1080p at 60fps with better overall graphics while games from previous gen were usually 720p 30fps.

The difference is clear if you have the eye, the right equipment and a proper game most importantly.
Theirs no doubt last gen was great but tell yourself you didnt think PS2/Xbox was better then 360/PS3 during the first year aswell. Or that SNES/Genesis wasnt better then N64/Saturn its first year.

The only system I could say ever impressed enough to call itself better then the previous gen during its first year was the Dreamcast. Everything else has and will always take time to prove its worth.

Axm has received a thanks from: Jokatech19
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Jokatech19 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:40 am

Axm wrote: Anyone playing a mediocre PS3 sports game basically upscaled to PS4 on a rediculous 72' TV will no doubt see hardly a difference.

The fact is the new generation of consoles ARE better. You have many bad examples of multiplatform/multigenration games from lazy DEVELOPERS not putting in the work to take advantage of the hardware. Then theirs many first party exclusives doing 1080p at 60fps with better overall graphics while games from previous gen were usually 720p 30fps.

The difference is clear if you have the eye, the right equipment and a proper game most importantly.
Theirs no doubt last gen was great but tell yourself you didnt think PS2/Xbox was better then 360/PS3 during the first year aswell. Or that SNES/Genesis wasnt better then N64/Saturn its first year.

The only system I could say ever impressed enough to call itself better then the previous gen during its first year was the Dreamcast. Everything else has and will always take time to prove its worth.

I hear you. I think I'm just not a nut for graphics like I was when I was younger. I mean, I'm just satisfied with the previous generation, and feel like they could have pushed it even more. Hopefully the libraries do expand this time around. You are right about that. I never did like super big screens either. They tend to distort graphics. From some of the footage I've seen thus far, I'm just interested to see what new innovations are going to come out with games period. If it's just going to be continuations of old games with updated graphics that are bigger and scope and shinier, I can't say that makes sense. I do however, like some of what I saw with the new COD. I don't play the series, but it looked like there were alot of new ideas jammed into that game that show alot of potential for pushing the limits of the new gen consoles.

I also disagree with you to a degree. I do remember when the 360 came out. It's true, during the first year, it seemed like there wasn't a substantial improvement. In fact, the game Black comes to mind. That was a game that was right at the crossover, and I remember playing the Xbox version right next to the 360, and thinking that it was a waste of money to upgrade. But I remember the limitations of Xbox, and the previous generation, and what I wanted to see done on future consoles, and you saw evidence early on, that it COULD be done. This generation that just passed, had no tremendously needed improvements except for game environments, and some slow down limitation. Much of those issues are just the same with new consoles, and I'm not talking about the sports game- which are not mediocre btw. It seems like people are mostly just determined to move forward with current gen, wherever it goes. Of course, companies will load bigger CPU's into their consoles, and keep throwing power into them. If that's all it takes for things to be considered better, then we really are in a deplorable state. At this point, we should be looking for innovations primarily.

On another note, I am super excited that yesterday, I saw that they put Strider 2 up on the PSN for download. I thought my eyes really were going at that point. I'm about to dive into that later today.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: AC: Revelations

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming