What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What games are you playing?

Postby OL » Sun May 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Just over 25 hrs into Final Fantasy XII. Completely addicted. Up to the Tomb of Raithwall, just beat the first Demon Wall, took a lot of grinding, but the weapon was worth it (Demonsbane). This is definitely the most amount of time I've ever put into a Final Fantasy and not gotten bored once.

I have to say, there are actually a few times in FFXII where I had to just stop and check out the scenery, and the very first view of the Tomb of Raithwall was one of them. Just massive, and it really created this amazing sense of scale.
Glad you're liking it so much though. I think you may be a little disappointed with the end (only because it kind of teeters off a bit and isn't quite as "big" as it should be), but it's the overall journey I like anyway. One of the best RPG experiences on the PS2, for my money.

And Dead Aim actually sounds great. Really have to grab it up sometime. Been in the mood for some lightgun goodness lately.

Personally at the moment, besides the game I'm working on a video for, I've been popping in a lot of random PS2 games. I've only just now discovered the wonders of S-video, so I'm checking out all manner of games with it, and seeing just how crisp and smooth they can look. I need to get an S-video cable for all of my other consoles now (where applicable, at least). Makes the recordings look much, much better.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon May 16, 2011 9:34 am

Orange wrote:I have to say, there are actually a few times in FFXII where I had to just stop and check out the scenery, and the very first view of the Tomb of Raithwall was one of them. Just massive, and it really created this amazing sense of scale.
Glad you're liking it so much though. I think you may be a little disappointed with the end (only because it kind of teeters off a bit and isn't quite as "big" as it should be), but it's the overall journey I like anyway. One of the best RPG experiences on the PS2, for my money.

Yes, absolutely. Game is wonderful to look at. Xenoblade looks to me like the true successor to FFXII. So I won't be too upset when it's all over after all. :)

Orange wrote:And Dead Aim actually sounds great. Really have to grab it up sometime. Been in the mood for some lightgun goodness lately.

I'd dare say you will like it. Just so you know, Cavia went on to work for Capcom on Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles. Both solid games. Dead Aim is more ambitious though, since it attempts to combine the third person adventuring of the classic games, with the first person lightgun sections of the other Survivor games. The best part of that is you can freely switch between the two whenever you like. So it feels a lot less clunky than, say, the original RE: Survivor where it was all in first person. The game has that very distinctive "old-school Resi Evil" feel that we all love, despite being outsourced development. It was either Drakengard or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex that Cavia worked on next.

A word of advice if you get the game though; do not play the game on easy mode, since it is a breeze. I got up to the first boss battle and had to restart the game, switching the diffculty settings to "normal" and starting over. On easy, there was an abundance of herbs and ammo. On normal, you have to manage your inventory space more accordingly. What's even weirder about the game though is the voice acting translation clashing with the text translation. The actors are saying one thing (with really bad sound quality where you can hardly hear them, even with earphones/headphones on) and the text is saying something else.

Orange wrote:Personally at the moment, besides the game I'm working on a video for, I've been popping in a lot of random PS2 games. I've only just now discovered the wonders of S-video, so I'm checking out all manner of games with it, and seeing just how crisp and smooth they can look. I need to get an S-video cable for all of my other consoles now (where applicable, at least). Makes the recordings look much, much better.

I'll look into that, sounds neat.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Tue May 17, 2011 11:51 am

Finally got my imported copy from Amazon :mrgreen:
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Oppy » Tue May 17, 2011 12:32 pm

Still playing MK9, this is the longest i have been drawn to a fighter in ages. Unlocked almost all of the fatalities and alt costumes, bought a classic sub-zero dlc code on ebay for $3. The challenge tower is getting the best of me, you really need to be good with every character if you want to get anywhere on the challenge tower, and there are some real difficult challenges, like 1 vs 3 fights with one of the opponents being goro or shao kahn. Just wish that the test your might and sight were availible initially, bit of a pain in the ass to have to complete challengw tower to unlock them all.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Riku Rose » Tue May 17, 2011 2:12 pm

Don't think I'm going to beat Persona 3:FES by the time I get LA Noire.

Currently 40 hours in and level 52.

Beat the shadow where the guy dies after the fight.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby myshtuff » Tue May 17, 2011 11:10 pm

Just beat Uncharted 2. Quite possibly one of the best games I have ever played. If you have a ps3, then do yourself a favor and get this game.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 18, 2011 1:14 am

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Jokatech19 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:18 am

^ About to purchase that.

Can't believe how long Phantom Dust is. For an arena action game it feels like Final Fantasy.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Wed May 18, 2011 5:58 am

Been playing Afro Samurai. Pretty fun game. Good visuals, decent gameplay, satisfying action. Got it for 5€ new, so definitely happy with it.
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed May 18, 2011 6:21 am

Finished my medium run of Deadly Premonition and got all the cards and South Park tower defense XBLA.

But all other games will go on hold tomorrow when La noire arrives.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Oppy » Wed May 18, 2011 6:35 am

LA Noire, Wow..
Only a few cases in but I am amazed with it so far, the motion captured faces are really impressive and look far better in game then on any of the video footage I have seen before hand. The music is great, the cases seem to have pretty interesting stories, so far there doesn't really seem to be much of an overall story to the game, but its still incredibly exciting none the less.
This game has a very shenmuish vibe to it.

Also played some MK9, Still addicted.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Wed May 18, 2011 8:04 am

Oppy wrote:the motion captured faces are really impressive and look far better in game then on any of the video footage I have seen before hand.

I've been hoping this. Tried not to look into the game much but all I have seen are adverts on TV and they have been low quality and looked a little weird.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed May 18, 2011 9:29 am

I thought that with the TV Ad in the UK. Mainly the black guy whos being questioned. Looked a bit odd.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed May 18, 2011 6:20 pm

30+ hours into FFXII. I won't finish this before L.A. Noire comes out but whatever, I don't care. I'm loving the game far too much to put it down at all.

I just started Legend of Kartia for PlayStation, which is a really interesting tactics game. Old-school Atlus putting there stamp on the formula created by Quest. Interestingly, the game is published by Konami who would go on to make their own tactics series, Vandal Hearts. The only thing that is lacking in Kartia so far, is the storyline. It's a bit simple and lacks the grandiose story of say a Matsuno tactics game (e.g. all the politics, intrigue, twists etc). That, and the characters are a little iritating and the translation iffy. On the other hand, the music is clearly inspired by Sakimoto/Iwata. So much so, that it's such a good imitation that I thought it was them until I looked it up.

The gameplay is rather solid, but also leaves a lot to be desired at the same time. You use cards to conjure up magic and create "phantoms" which are beings you have to create to form your own army and beat the opposition. You also have a "rock, paper, scissors" system which you have to keep track of to beat the enemy. These unique perks help keep the game from being yet another "rip-off". On the other hand, whenever you move your units, which you do one at a time, it becomes an arduous process since the enemy units are sometimes right on the other side of the map and you have a platoon of around twenty. So it takes a long time. The beautiful artwork is contributed by Yoshitaka Amano, so it gives off a very Front Mission/old-school Final Fantasy feel and suits the world in which the game is set, very well. So there's a lot of pros and cons with this game. Also reminiscent for me to the original Front Mission aside from the Amano artwork is the fact that there is two storylines to play with, which you can choose between at the start. I think I'm a little over halfway through the young knight's story now.

It would only be many years later that Atlus would take another stab at the tactics genre with the likes of Stella Deus, which by the looks of things, has a completely different style, more catering towards the fans of Shin Megami Tensei.
Also worth noting is that this game was directed by the creator of Megami Tensei, which was also one of the last projects he worked on at Atlus.

After playing Kartia for a bit, I got the urge to start playing Vandal Hearts too, which had been sitting on my gaming shelf for a while now. Now, this game has a better storyline more in line with what I was expecting from a tactics game. The gameplay is far less complicated than the aforementioned game but all the better for it, in my opinion. It's practically a regular tactics game, move your really small squadron (thankfully the exact opposite design of Kartia; less is more) around the maps and cause havok. The game has loads of charm that helps make it unique; from the blood spurting everywhere after you kill enemies (which is very satisfying to the sadist in me), to the unique cast of characters [there's even a character named "Clint" who is an unstoppable brute of a man. :P], and the unique art style. And the storyline is well worth it if you enjoy political intrigue, mysterious characters and labyrinth plotlines with plenty of factions with their own agendas. Very, very good game so far.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Oppy » Fri May 20, 2011 4:09 am

Been playing a handful of different games over the last few days.
Trying to unlock all the Babalities and ending cutscenes in MK9, about half way there.
Played a few cases on LA Noire, but decided to keep it for when I am home alone or when there is nobody here to distract me. Tried playing MK vs DC, but after playing MK9, MKvsDC feels even more broken and boring.
Also popped in NMH Paradise and played it for a bit, it was pretty satisfying, I have missed Travis for the last year or so.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming