Dreamcast goes offline

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Dreamcast goes offline

Postby Bysby » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:29 pm

the final nail in the dc coffin has been hit in :?

Here is a news article i found :

Say farewell to the greatest console nobody bought. Sega's Dreamcast game servers are being shut down.
It was ahead of its time, nobody bought one and now the DC is being consigned to the skip of videogame history. Yesterday, Sega scaled back the online support for the machine, switching off everything except the Phantasy Star Online servers. And it must only be a matter of time before they go too.

So RIP, Dreamcast. You left us way too soon.
Bysby
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Dreamcast goes offline

Postby Jacob Marley » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:35 pm

Bysby2k3 wrote:the final nail in the dc coffin has been hit in :?

Here is a news article i found :

Say farewell to the greatest console nobody bought. Sega's Dreamcast game servers are being shut down.
It was ahead of its time, nobody bought one and now the DC is being consigned to the skip of videogame history. Yesterday, Sega scaled back the online support for the machine, switching off everything except the Phantasy Star Online servers. And it must only be a matter of time before they go too.

So RIP, Dreamcast. You left us way too soon.

Finally. Why Sega kept its servers going was a mystery to me. Hopefully now those who were reluctant to upgrade to an XBOX and XBOX LIVE will get the hint and move on.
Jacob Marley
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bysby » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:44 pm

i probably would have gotten live by now but it's just too expensive for me right now (having to buy extra hardware because of it is expensive enough alone :shock: ) :cry:
Bysby
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Myles » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:45 pm

They still had them on? :shock:
Myles
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Gutcruncher » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:01 pm

dammit :(

at least pso is still up
Gutcruncher
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Jacob Marley » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:09 pm

Gutcruncher wrote:dammit :(

at least pso is still up

It's only a matter of time before they pull the plug on that one as well. Death to Dreamcast!!
Jacob Marley
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Myles » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:11 pm

*sigh*

Sega consoles are gone! Gone! *cries*
Myles
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jacob Marley » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:30 pm

Myles wrote:*sigh*

Sega consoles are gone! Gone! *cries*

LOL!
But look at the bright side, Sega's games live on through the XBOX, GC and PS2. Hell, even the Palm OS PDA is now getting official Sega classic releases!
No more Sega consoles is a good thing, particularly to those of us that were burned when we bought our 32x's and Saturn's prior to the DC!
Jacob Marley
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShadowTech » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:33 pm

PSO still works. Both versions.
ShadowTech
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Daemos » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:45 pm

Jacob Marley wrote:It's only a matter of time before they pull the plug on that one as well. Death to Dreamcast!!

Do you want to get hit? :x
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby LanDC » Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:00 pm

Fuck this. the dreamcast is still the best console out there. the rest can deepthroat my cock. i can tell you one thing. Outtrigger had better stay up. and i dont think PSO isnt going anywhere anytime soon.... i mean come on. the BS2. you call that online?!?HA! yeah right. and you have to buy a modem. HOW CHEAP. gamecube... it has online features...?? and the best out there now (besides dc) is xbox. BUT SOME PEOPLE..like me, cant get broad band in their area. which leaves you in the cold. but the DC. you buy the console,you get all the wonderfull stuff, access to the internet, easy online play. what more could you ask???? the dreamcast is the best console ever made. and if i didnt really think that.. then why the hell would i take up for it now instead of sucking a nex-gen consoles dicks? the BS 2 is a cheap peice of junk. the gamecube is a joke. the xbox is great. but NO WHERE NEAR as great as dreamcast. yet there are no more dreamcast games?? PUZZLING! games should start being developed on it again...
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Jacob Marley » Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:21 pm

whiteShadow wrote:
Jacob Marley wrote:It's only a matter of time before they pull the plug on that one as well. Death to Dreamcast!!

Do you want to get hit? :x

Let's be honest with ourselves. It costs Sega money to maintain these servers, and they aren't getting any sort of return for providing them to Dreamcast gamers. Given the fact that Sega is currently in the midst of some major financial woes, dropping all support for the abandoned DC console is the right move.

And I have every right to feel the way I do about the Dreamcast. I bought and supported ALL of the Sega systems throughout the years, with the exception of the Pico system. I PAID money for my systems and bought games for every Sega system since 1988. I bought the SMS, Genesis, 32X, Saturn, DC, and had to suffer through years of being burned by Sega and their mismanagement. You see, some of us invested a bit more time and money into Sega than the vast majority of you DC supporters.

What I find is that those who claim that the DC is the best system ever are usually those gamers who have only owned 1 or 2 Sega systems in their lifetimes. Of course they'll support the DC and Sega...they didn't pay out the thousands of dollars over the years while Sega found itself deviating from their core business not to mention piling up massive debt. I have news for you...the DC is not the best system ever made and it DESERVED its fate! When I heard that Sega was getting out of the console race in 2001, it was familiar news (yet another failed Sega console), but at last, they would not be allowed to screw up again! Hearing news of the DC servers being taken offline helps to alleviate some of the angst gamers like myself have endured over the last 15 years or so.

Sega makes some great games, but they simply did not "get" the hardware market. Death to Dreamcast indeed!
Jacob Marley
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby LanDC » Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:33 pm

my lord.. how can you even be on a shenmue forum and use such foul language about the dc????? i know you had to have played shenmue on the dreamcast. just playing shenmue on it alone should make you have enough respect for it not to say "death to the dreamcast!"
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Zhao » Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:29 pm

I should contact my boss and tell him about the foul language used against the Dreamcast.
Zhao
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jacob Marley » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:28 pm

LanDC wrote:my lord.. how can you even be on a shenmue forum and use such foul language about the dc????? i know you had to have played shenmue on the dreamcast. just playing shenmue on it alone should make you have enough respect for it not to say "death to the dreamcast!"

Shenmue is essentially the only reason why I still hold on to my Dreamcast. Again, I respect Sega as a software developer, but regarding hardware, my opinion is that their best days were during the Genesis era.

I am thankful for the Dc in that it allowed Shenmue to finally come to light, but don't forget that those of us who OWNED Saturns back in the mid-90's were waiting for PROJECT BEREKELY to materialize, so my allegiance was not with the DC or the Saturn, but with the games that Yu Suzuki and others were working on.

Yes, it's my fault that I foolishly bought each new Sega system on release, but I still stand by my views that are in favor of the Dreamcast dying and Sega getting out of the hardware business.
Jacob Marley
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to General Gaming