RE 4 goes Multiplatform

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby xatruio » Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:51 am

B-Man wrote:It just goes to show how little Capcom's word means and just how little integrity they have. Honestly, I don't really care one way or another whether or not it comes out on PS2, but it's pretty ridiculous the way they can go on and on, for the last three years, claiming that it's a Gamecube exclusive and then change their mind just like that. Kind of like how they can build up a story over the course of 8 years, 5 main games, numerous sidegames, countless ports, a remake, two "reports," etc. and then one day, just like that, say "Eh, we're sick of the storyline, so instead of finishing it properly, we'll just jump ahead six years, claim the government destroyed Umbrella, and have a RE2 character try to save the president's daughter!" :|

Bambi wrote:
St. Elmo's Fire wrote:Which order did the games come out in (ignoring lightgun games, and Director's Cuts and special editions, unless it was a really important spec. ed.?)?

If I remember correctly...

Resident Evil - PSX
Resident Evil - Saturn
Resident Evil 2 - PSX
Resident Evil 2 - N64
Resident Evil 3 - PSX
Resident Evil 2/3 - DC
Resident Evil CV - DC
Resident Evil CVX - PS2
Resident Evil 2/3/CVX - GC
Resident Evil Remake - GC
Resident Evil Zero - GC

Close, but I believe the actual order is:

1. Resident Evil (PSX)
2. Resident Evil (Saturn)
3. Resident Evil 2 (PSX)
4. Resident Evil 3 (PSX)
5. Resident Evil 2 (N64)
6. Resident Evil: Code Veronica (DC)
7. Resident Evil 2/3 (DC)
8. Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (PS2)
9. REmake (GC)
10. Resident Evil 0 (GC)
11. Resident Evil 2/3 (GC)
12. Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (GC)

The only ones I'm not sure about are RE3 for PSX and RE2 for N64. I know they came out around the same time and I'm not positive which came out first. Though I think it was RE3.

CVX was on DC in Japan, ya know...i have the import~! It's cool...but you cant read those scripts, but if you've beaten it as CV and as CVX i already know them, so i can play 'X' goodness on the system it was meant for! The only difference is that they changed the name like with RE3 and tagged on 'Complete' instead of the X.
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby B-Man » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:59 pm

Xatruio wrote:CVX was on DC in Japan, ya know...i have the import~! It's cool...but you cant read those scripts, but if you've beaten it as CV and as CVX i already know them, so i can play 'X' goodness on the system it was meant for! The only difference is that they changed the name like with RE3 and tagged on 'Complete' instead of the X.

I know, but obviously we were just naming US releases of main games in the series. I we had listed Japanese releases and/or side games, the list would have been much bigger.

I actually was originally going to buy CV Complete when it first came out myself, since I didn't have a PS2 at the time and I wanted to see the new cutscenes. However, I never did end up getting it and I just recently bought CVX for Gamecube. I would have liked to have been able to get it for Dreamcast, but I decided that not being able to read any text in the game (including files and the inventory screen) would have sort of ruined the experience for me.

You know, things like that really piss me off. The fact that Code Veronica was supposed to be a DC exclusive, and then not only was it later ported to the PS2, but they got the "Complete" version, which US Dreamcast owners didn't even get at all. So, people who had the system to which the game was supposed to be exclusive ended up getting screwed in the end. I mean, why would Capcom even release the game at all if it wasn't "complete." Just to gip people out of more money and screw over DC owners. Now they're probably gonna do the same thing with RE4. The PS2 version is probably going to have extra features or extra cutscenes or something, and then people who have the system it was supposed to be exclusive to will get the inferior version (although it will be graphically superior).
B-Man
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby xatruio » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:32 pm

yeah, it isn't too bad, only the read files you pick up can't nbe read...the item screen is memoraized for me, so that wasn't a factor.

Yeah, i really hate when companies do that. I wish SEGA would start a small resurgance and bring those games only released in Japan/UK to the US frr a small fee[CVX, Shenmue II, Ikaruga, Psyvariar 2, Chaos Field...or at least some other hungry company that wouldn't mind the small DC popularity.
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby B-Man » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:42 pm

Xatruio wrote:yeah, it isn't too bad, only the read files you pick up can't nbe read...the item screen is memoraized for me, so that wasn't a factor.

Yeah, I guess the inventory screen wouldn't be a big deal at all. But I would hate to not be able to read the files. To me, the files are one of the most important parts of a Resident Evil game. They really drive the story along in a way that cutscenes alone can't do. If you just play through a Resident Evil game without reading any of the files, you definitely won't have a full understanding of things (storyline-wise at least).

Also, I like reading the little descriptions you get when you go up to part of the background and press the action button, and when you examine items on the item screen. So, I ultimately decided not to import the game.

Yeah, i really hate when companies do that. I wish SEGA would start a small resurgance and bring those games only released in Japan/UK to the US frr a small fee[CVX, Shenmue II, Ikaruga, Psyvariar 2, Chaos Field...or at least some other hungry company that wouldn't mind the small DC popularity.

Yeah, but I don't really mind the fact that those games weren't released in the US because it's not Sega's fault that the DC died an early death. I'm just pissed off at Capcom that they actually released a game "exclusively" and then later released the "complete" version on another console. They should have just included the extra cutscenes in the original game, instead of making me pay $50 for the incomplete version. And then the fact that to get the complete version I would either need to import the game or buy a new system just makes it even worse.

I'm pretty sure that they just left those cutscenes out deliberately knowing that they would make more money later by releasing another version of the game.
B-Man
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby xatruio » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:09 pm

B-Man wrote:
Xatruio wrote:yeah, it isn't too bad, only the read files you pick up can't nbe read...the item screen is memoraized for me, so that wasn't a factor.

Yeah, I guess the inventory screen wouldn't be a big deal at all. But I would hate to not be able to read the files. To me, the files are one of the most important parts of a Resident Evil game. They really drive the story along in a way that cutscenes alone can't do. If you just play through a Resident Evil game without reading any of the files, you definitely won't have a full understanding of things (storyline-wise at least).

Also, I like reading the little descriptions you get when you go up to part of the background and press the action button, and when you examine items on the item screen. So, I ultimately decided not to import the game.

Yeah, but I don't really mind the fact that those games weren't released in the US because it's not Sega's fault that the DC died an early death. I'm just pissed off at Capcom that they actually released a game "exclusively" and then later released the "complete" version on another console. They should have just included the extra cutscenes in the original game, instead of making me pay $50 for the incomplete version. And then the fact that to get the complete version I would either need to import the game or buy a new system just makes it even worse.

I'm pretty sure that they just left those cutscenes out deliberately knowing that they would make more money later by releasing another version of the game.

yeah, i love the files, too, but since i imported Complete before i got X on GC, i didn't like it. But i got X on GC, beat it, am beating it again, and shall after 2 times [am beating the 2nd time now] through remember the files and the story by memory to play through Complete on the system it was made for, babay! 8) Much like i could easily play the cool Limited Editions of Shenmue I and II only released in Japan or What's Shenmue because i've played both of the saga so many damn times, and have read the story of the short What's Shenmue script in English from GAMEFAQs.
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby orient » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:43 pm

RE 2/3 were released on DC?
PAL??

If so, I'm getting them straight away. I saw RE3 for PC on eBay, brand new for $6.00 AU :shock: but I just spent all my money on CV for DC because my original disc 2 didn't work :roll:
orient
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby xatruio » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:50 pm

yup, RE 2/3 for DC in every territory! Get it, now! I had one, but decided to have all RE games on GC, so, I am waiting for a price cut, and saving every now and then for it.
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby B-Man » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:09 am

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend the DC versions of RE2 and RE3. The graphics of both games are very cleaned up from the original PlayStation versions, with much higher resolution character models and backgrounds. My only real complaint is that they removed RE2's awesome death animations for some reason.
B-Man
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kenny » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:03 am

I have almost all the REs listed there, even the one for the Saturn.

I want Code Veronica X so badly, but the Dreamcast version is just as awesome.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby B-Man » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:12 am

Kensuke NOL wrote:I have almost all the REs listed there, even the one for the Saturn.

Speaking of which, Resident Evil for the Saturn was my very first Resident Evil game. Ahh, memories...I tried out Resident Evil when it came out on Saturn because I had read such good things about it. I liked it so much that I bought a PlayStation pretty much just to play Resident Evil 2.

Sorry for going off topic so many times in this thread, but I figured once more couldn't hurt.
B-Man
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kenny » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:17 am

Eeh, it's Resident Evil. I'd say we're on topic here.

*looks at title*

Oh yeah.....

Well anyway, the Saturn version is pretty good. I can't save anything cause I need a new battery in there, but once I get one, i'll probably play it through again.

As for RE4 going multi-platform, Capcom needed the sales. That and it was responding to costumer and marketing demands, it had to happen.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Previous

Return to General Gaming