Metal Gear series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby Rukawa » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:51 pm

Amazing trailer, i think i gonna get a PS3 now...
Rukawa
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:34 pm

Vamp was 'killed' three times in MGS2, to be exact. We shall find out why he has this immortality in MGS4, everything shall be told with this title (watch the end of MGS2 again very closely and you'll see him escaping behind Raiden and Snake in the distance).

Plus, did anyone else notice the small details in this trailer, like Vamp's dogtags? Who are they for? Are they the Dead Cell's dogtags? Vengeance, perhaps?

And it appears that Raiden was indeed killed then brought back to life, like Grey Fox; hence the sword through the gut without a single ounce of pain for Raiden, all that seems to be left that is human, is his head.

And where was Otacon? Not to mention Mei Ling, who I expected to show up this time around. Did anyone else notice that the voice actress Naomi has adopted her Rhodesian accent once more, since in The Twin Snakes (MGS1 remake), she had an American accent. Let's see what Kojima shows us at the MGS 20th anniversary party anyway (which is next, not the TGS show, which is WAY after these next two events). There's also the Germany event before TGS, as well. All will feature new content. :D
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Ro Shen » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:45 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Vamp was 'killed' three times in MGS2, to be exact. We shall find out why he has this immortality in MGS4, everything shall be told with this title (watch the end of MGS2 again very closely and you'll see him escaping behind Raiden and Snake in the distance).

Plus, did anyone else notice the small details in this trailer, like Vamp's dogtags? Who are they for? Are they the Dead Cell's dogtags? Vengeance, perhaps?

And it appears that Raiden was indeed killed then brought back to life, like Grey Fox; hence the sword through the gut without a single ounce of pain for Raiden, all that seems to be left that is human, is his head.

And where was Otacon? Not to mention Mei Ling, who I expected to show up this time around. Did anyone else notice that the voice actress Naomi has adopted her Rhodesian accent once more, since in The Twin Snakes (MGS1 remake), she had an American accent. Let's see what Kojima shows us at the MGS 20th anniversary party anyway (which is next, not the TGS show, which is WAY after these next two events). There's also the Germany event before TGS, as well. All will feature new content. :D

Thanks Henry Spencer,this just gets better and better cant wait !!!
Ro Shen

Postby OL » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:18 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Vamp was 'killed' three times in MGS2, to be exact. We shall find out why he has this immortality in MGS4, everything shall be told with this title (watch the end of MGS2 again very closely and you'll see him escaping behind Raiden and Snake in the distance).

Well, you don't really see him escaping in MGS2. I'm just nitpicking here, but if you have the 'Document of MGS2', you can stop the scene at that part and go into the background area; what you find isn't even a 3D model of him, but a "cardboard" cutout image of him. That's all.
Like I said, I'm just nitpicking, but still...

Anyway, I don't think we'll find out a concrete reason as to why he can keep coming back to life. The explanation is simply that he's a vampire. I mean, did we ever find out a real reason as to why Mantis could read minds, or why the Sorrow could communicate with the dead, or why Volgin had electric powers? No, and we didn't need to find out. The only thing we needed to know was that they had these powers, and that's just the way it is. I'd think the same should be applied to Vamp.

No offense, Henry, but I get the feeling you're going to be disappointed by this game. Every time I see you talk about it, you seem to keep mentioning that "EVERYTHING WILL BE REVEALED!!!" I really don't think that some of these little details (such as the reason for Vamp's powers) are going to be explained, as you seem to be expecting.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:10 pm

Orange Lightning wrote:

Well, you don't really see him escaping in MGS2. I'm just nitpicking here, but if you have the 'Document of MGS2', you can stop the scene at that part and go into the background area; what you find isn't even a 3D model of him, but a "cardboard" cutout image of him. That's all.
Like I said, I'm just nitpicking, but still...

Anyway, I don't think we'll find out a concrete reason as to why he can keep coming back to life. The explanation is simply that he's a vampire. I mean, did we ever find out a real reason as to why Mantis could read minds, or why the Sorrow could communicate with the dead, or why Volgin had electric powers? No, and we didn't need to find out. The only thing we needed to know was that they had these powers, and that's just the way it is. I'd think the same should be applied to Vamp.

No offense, Henry, but I get the feeling you're going to be disappointed by this game. Every time I see you talk about it, you seem to keep mentioning that "EVERYTHING WILL BE REVEALED!!!" I really don't think that some of these little details (such as the reason for Vamp's powers) are going to be explained, as you seem to be expecting.

Jesus you picky prick. :lol:

You know what I mean anyway, he got out alive from the events of MGS2, appearing at the end, that's all I was referring to really.

And Orange, baby, Kojima keeps going out his way, stating in his interviews that he will tell us everything in MGS4. He also mentioned Vamp's powers, for one, explaining his immortality. Kojima is going to go the full works here and correct the identified problems with MGS2 and explain why the fucked up things happened in that game. (Hey, I like fucked up, but obviously some gamers don't, ugh). I won't be disappointed with the game at all, I really love the visual presentation and Kojima's writing in everything he's done up until this point, but I'm not letting my expectations reach a colossal height or anything, I don't masturbate over gaming in general anymore, not into it much anymore. Games every now and then, like MGS4, get my jizz going a bit though, ya know. ;)
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:56 am

Sorry for bump and double post this thread but:

http://www.konami.jp/gs/kojima_pro/movie/mgs4_sce2k7_jpn.asx

Japanese trailer is out!
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby oliv3r » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:39 am

WOW! That trailer was incredible! I'm a huge MGS fan - completed all the games since Metal Gear. I've got copies of all the released games, including the addons like MGS2:Substance, which is really rare. MGS2 was my second best game ever (behind the original Shenmue).

The only problem with MGS2 was the removal of the "Chinaman" character. He could swim underwater and had a dragon tattoo that came to life. When you fight Vamp whilst going to rescue Emma, you were originally meant to fight him, but the character was removed. I thought that the Vamp's death here would have been a better finale than the sniper battle later on.

That trailer though was probably one of the best I've ever seen for any game - I haven't wanted many games as much as I want this now. Buying my PS3 was definitely worth it!

Can't want till early 2008! :D:D:D:D:D

oliv3r
oliv3r

Postby SinValentine » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:10 am

i hope vamp's ass dies finally, i hated him. him and raiden danced a little too much in that fight scene in my opinion : / i wish liquid's old voice actor came back but he'd probably have to sound old too anyway
SinValentine
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Clint » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:35 pm

Should be a great game. I just wish Kojima would move away from Bullet-time, he's too much of a genius to be messing around with that shit.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby ys » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:32 am

SinValentine wrote:i hope vamp's ass dies finally, i hated him. him and raiden danced a little too much in that fight scene in my opinion : / i wish liquid's old voice actor came back but he'd probably have to sound old too anyway

I don't hate Vamp but I don't think that he's that special as a character either. There was actually something with his design in MGS4 that I didn't like. I preferred the way he looked in MGS2 then.

And about the trailer. I don't know...it must be just me, but it didn't do much for me. I didn't think it was really amazing or something. I actually got a bit bored and was waiting for it to end after a while. And MGS is probably my favorite series after Shenmue... :S
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:24 pm

Looks kinda pish.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Clint » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:06 am

ys wrote:
SinValentine wrote:i hope vamp's ass dies finally, i hated him. him and raiden danced a little too much in that fight scene in my opinion : / i wish liquid's old voice actor came back but he'd probably have to sound old too anyway

I don't hate Vamp but I don't think that he's that special as a character either. There was actually something with his design in MGS4 that I didn't like. I preferred the way he looked in MGS2 then.

And about the trailer. I don't know...it must be just me, but it didn't do much for me. I didn't think it was really amazing or something. I actually got a bit bored and was waiting for it to end after a while. And MGS is probably my favorite series after Shenmue... :S

Agreed. The story didn't look that great actually.

I doubt it will dissapoint though.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby FRASIER » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:01 am

MGS4 has gotten too bizarre!!! but who am I to talk!!! kojima will probably kill me samuri style now, sorry hideo, friends??
FRASIER
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:32 pm

I honestly believe Hideo's best games for storyline, alone, were pre-MGS2 (Snatcher, MG2, Policenauts - so I've heard, MGS1), just my opinion though.

If he is going to tie everything up in this game to do with the MG series, as well as end Solid Snake's tale with this game (which he keeps stating time and time again) then it should be great. Besides, the reason why the guy wants to tie everything up is so he doesn't have to do another Metal Gear game.

And if you ask me, Vamp deserves to be more than Naomi and Meryl, I mean, what the fuck are they doing there? Granted, Kojima said he's gonna try and bring back as many characters as he possibly can, but fucking hell, Naomi and Meryl aren't really needed at all, just seem tacked on for the fans (same with Raiden, again, his look is done for the fans, ugh).

I'd rather have someone, more relevant to the plotline, like Solidus Snake, but oh well, he's dead. :?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby SinValentine » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:06 am

yea i agree it didn't do much for me either, and i'm a big metal gear fan : / I'll still give it a chance though. hopefully it's a good game, vamp truly wasn't important, naomi might be of some use (maybe we'll hear about gray fox) who knows about meryl.

i'm curious as to how raiden got that way, i want to hear his story
SinValentine

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming