New Sonic Unleashed Trailer

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

New Sonic Unleashed Trailer

Postby TheTimeRanger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:22 am

As a person who hasn't liked any Sonic game since the good'ol days.... this look awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtYLeQwj ... to-be-true
TheTimeRanger
Dojo Designer
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: The_TimeRanger
XBL: TheTimeRanger
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby OL » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:49 pm

Looks great as a visual showcase, but how is it as an actual game? It doesn't look like it really has much in the way of multi-tiered levels, like the Genesis ones did. It looks entirely linear. And it also looks like you barely even get to play the thing. It looks more like it plays itself, and you slightly manipulate it by pressing a button every now and then.

I'm hopeful for it, but I'm not entirely psyched just yet.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby TheTimeRanger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:47 pm

OL wrote:Looks great as a visual showcase, but how is it as an actual game? It doesn't look like it really has much in the way of multi-tiered levels, like the Genesis ones did. It looks entirely linear. And it also looks like you barely even get to play the thing. It looks more like it plays itself, and you slightly manipulate it by pressing a button every now and then.

I'm hopeful for it, but I'm not entirely psyched just yet.

I agree, it does seem linear. It is however the best looking and most promising Sonic title to date (at least on the home console front since 92')
Sonic games haven't been to much of interest to me, but this one actually looks like something i'd buy.

Gameplay wise, it will do what the old games did, minimal user input, but I think that is what we need right now. To many games try to force on more then what is necessary.

I will be looking closer at this title over the next months.
TheTimeRanger
Dojo Designer
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: The_TimeRanger
XBL: TheTimeRanger

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:35 pm

OL speaks the truth (yet another reason he should be Admin). If there's about 30 or 40 levels, then the game will be worth it, because it will focus on speed, and you'll have plenty of time attack replay value (for those of you who actually like that shit).

Apparently though, it was originally going to be Sonic Adventure 3, so hopefully the linear gameplay will be forgiven for adventure fields.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Clint » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:41 pm

TheLaugh wrote:OL speaks the truth (yet another reason he should be Admin). If there's about 30 or 40 levels, then the game will be worth it, because it will focus on speed, and you'll have plenty of time attack replay value (for those of you who actually like that shit).

Apparently though, it was originally going to be Sonic Adventure 3, so hopefully the linear gameplay will be forgiven for adventure fields.

How many times per week do you suck OL's balls?
Last edited by Clint on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby Mr.Tambourine Man » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:44 pm

TheLaugh wrote:
Apparently though, it was originally going to be Sonic Adventure 3, so hopefully the linear gameplay will be forgiven for adventure fields.[/color]

I had lost all faith that there will ever be a good Sonic game, but I must say this looks impressive. Sonic Unleashed was originally Sonic Adventure 3? Interesting. Perhaps, they will go back the sandbox-esque type of adventure fields like in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. I certainly hope this turns out good, it looks great!
Mr.Tambourine Man
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:57 pm

Clint wrote:
TheLaugh wrote:OL speaks the truth (yet another reason he should be Admin). If there's about 30 or 40 levels, then the game will be worth it, because it will focus on speed, and you'll have plenty of time attack replay value (for those of you who actually like that shit).

How many times per week must you suck OL's balls?

It's a mental health regime. If I don't compliment someone on a regular basis, pubic hair starts to sprout out of a little hole in my forehead, and eventually a jew's erect penis will grow through from the part of my brain that the compliments come from. They call it 'face fungus' and 'brain shrooms'. Or as you may know it 'dick head'.

Mr.Tambourine Man wrote:I had lost all faith that there will ever be a good Sonic game, but I must say this looks impressive. Sonic Unleashed was originally Sonic Adventure 3? Interesting. Perhaps, they will go back the sandbox-esque type of adventure fields like in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. I certainly hope this turns out good, it looks great!

Sonic Adventure 2 didn't have adventure fields, which is one of the main reasons why it sucked (like me on OL's balls).
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby MadeManG74 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:14 pm

Looks good so far, I'm worried its going to turn into 'Hold right to win' though, the level looked like there wasn't much platforming, which was important in the old games. This is just a trailer though, so its meant to show off the exciting stuff, so I'm not too concerned.
MadeManG74
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:21 am

Meh, so it's basically on rails right? I dunno, I feel that sonic games weren't as much about SPEED!!!!!@!! as people keep saying. You definitely didn't just press right the entire time and just fly through the level, there was a lot of jumping, some exploring, some walking, looking for powerups, etc.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby threeblades » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:20 am

I think it looks boring as hell.
Like someone else says, the game looks like it plays itself. Once again sega is showing that they have no idea what a good Sonic game needs.
SPEED SPEED SPEED Sonic is all about SPEED!

Bullshit. Where's my platforming? Where's my exploration? You can scream all you want that it's bringing the series "back to its roots", but it's not. I wish people would actually replay the old games and try to analyse what made them good in the first place.

This seems like it will have all the exact same problems as the other ones did. Shit level design where all you do is hold forward almost the entire time. Stop treating Sonic like a racing game. By trying to inject more speed in every game, they are in fact killing the game even more. "Oh look it goes upside down lolz so awesome!!"
If I want that kind of thrill, I'll go to an amusement park, not sit in front of my TV.

Give me levels like Flying Fortress from Sonic 2, where you have to be careful not to fall off and you have to time your jumps precisely on little moving platforms. Give me levels with Marble Zone from Sonic 1, where you can choose different paths, must avoid falls of lava, falling spikes, and wait for that platform to get close enough so you can jump on. Try any level from Sonic 1 to S&K, and you'll see that I'm right. They do contain some "crazy speed sections", but those are used to take you to the NEXT portion where you have to actually DO stuff.
And also, bring back all the little caves, walls you can go through and hidden areas that, although they don't always contain something important, are somehow so rewarding to find just for the sake of having discovered a secret area.

They even went so far as to make an on rail running game once (secret rings). If you can't see how ridiculous that idea was... well, let's just say you're one of the people who are responsible for the death of the series. And now it seems like you can just ram the ennemies? They don't even DO anything?? I mean it was bad enough that the game would practically kill them for you before (with the homing attack when you jump), but THIS??

If that's the kind of game you like, fine, you got your opinion and I got mine. But don't say it brings the series back to it's roots, because that's pure AAA bullshit fresh from the bull's ass. And yet, you just KNOW there will be an army of reviewers praising it for "bringing back Sonic's former glory". And once again I'll gring my teeth every time I'll read something like that.

When Sega said "Speed is what built the Sonic franchise", I knew for sure Sonic was dead. Awesome platforming action and stellar level design are what built the Sonic franchise. Speed was just a fun little gimmick. Speed is, in fact, what killed the Sonic franchise. (Along with crap character design from Uekawa and the worst, most Un-Sonicky musics you can imagine).
I'd take a glitchy game over THAT kind of shit any day if it brought back the feel and gameplay of the old games. 2D or 3D, it doesn't matter, that's not where the problem lies.

And don't be all like "u havent even played it lol!!1". Based on the previous games, and on that video, I can see that this CLEARLY doesn't have what I want in a Sonic game.
threeblades
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:22 am

^^Though I agree with most of what you say, I think MadeMan is right when he say that this is a trailer, so obviously it's meant to show off the "wow, cool!" moments. It may very well still have all the things you're talking about, so who knows?
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:49 am

I agree with others about the on-rails gameplay here. I feel, while speed in a Sonic game is important, it's the free-controls and platforming that is key to the gameplay.

However, in an interview a couple of months ago in a Nintendo Magazine, Yoshihisa Hashimoto (the director of Unleashed) said:

"I want to emphasize that the 3D gameplay won’t be on rails like in Sonic and the Secret Rings (wii). You’ll be able to wander freely about the environment if you wish."

Despite this, every piece of footage I've seen of the game seems to suggest that it is on rails. Although he has also confirmed that Adventure-fields are returning.
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby pikecon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:39 pm

We still haven't seen any hints of Sonic being a werewolf. I was thinking that this was gonna be The Legend of Sonic: Twilight Hedgehog, but it seems to be going back to it's Sonic Adventure roots.
pikecon
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby vagrant-7 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:42 pm

im happy to see this. i want sega to be popular becasuse then if sega popular=shenmue 3 in a nutshell.
vagrant-7
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Mr.Tambourine Man » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:31 pm

vagrant-7 wrote: sega popular=shenmue 3 in a nutshell.

Not necessarily.
Mr.Tambourine Man
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to General Gaming