Final Fantasy

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Final Fantasy

Postby mue 26 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:46 pm

I've debated with Segaga a lot in this thread in the past, but I have to admit you've dropped some knowledge bombs in your last couple posts. But boy, the games industry sounds like a horrible one to work in. I wince when I think about what percentage of games are actual clearly envisaged labours of love and how many are just cynical cash-in's.

The question is what's worse, the Japanese or American games industry. Due to the way traditional way Japanese corporations and business functions, not to mention the insane work hours Japanese employees are expected to work, I would have initially thought Japan. But I've heard some real horror stories come out of western devs as well recently (such as the countless Rockstar ones, which is bizzarre considering how well their products usually come out), so I'm not sure lol.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:48 pm

BTW Kudos Manny for posting Kabuki
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:06 pm

mue 26 wrote:I've debated with Segaga a lot in this thread in the past, but I have to admit you've dropped some knowledge bombs in your last couple posts. But boy, the games industry sounds like a horrible one to work in. I wince when I think about what percentage of games are actual clearly envisaged labours of love and how many are just cynical cash-in's.

The question is what's worse, the Japanese or American games industry. Due to the way traditional way Japanese corporations and business functions, not to mention the insane work hours Japanese employees are expected to work, I would have initially thought Japan. But I've heard some real horror stories come out of western devs as well recently (such as the countless Rockstar ones, which is bizzarre considering how well their products usually come out), so I'm not sure lol.

Well, ever notice theres always a huge labor problem and massive layoffs everytime a R* game comes out? almost everyone in Vancouver got laid off man.

As for Japanese Vs American, it all depends. Naughty Dog is the shit, seriously if I could get some QA or Capwork there I might even consider moving. I've heard nothing but good things about Platinum games and if my Japanese were better I'd go there too, but Capcom or S-E anyone I talk to thats left has some pretty egregious issue. So having worked for an American one I say American ones are worse, but I hear Japanese ones are worse.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby mue 26 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:16 pm

Yeah, Naughty Dog and Platinum just give off that cool vibe don't they, you can tell from there games, which are pretty much all labours of love to the highest standard. I think some of the smaller Japanese devs might be OK, but definitely not the giants. Anyway I better stop going off topic
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:17 pm

I'd argue PG is so good because they have all known each other for years and buddies. Plus they know how it feels to be run by a faceless corp.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:51 am

RUMOR: GamesMaster reported that Square Enix's Final Fantasy XV has been in development for 4 years, which began one month after FFXIII was released in Japan, with a team of over 200 people. The game design and battle system will be a major evolution from FFXII, the game will have crowd filled cities similar to Assassin's Creed....

Including the concept planning and pre-production phase, the game has already been in development for over 4 years.
It entered full production in January 2010, a month after FFXIII was released in Japan. Since then it has had a development team of just over 200 people.
The game design and battle system will be a major evolution of FFXII.
The game will be open world and have sprawling, crowd-filled cities on par with Assassin's Creed.
The battle system now allows you to target different parts of an enemy’s body like in Vagrant Story.
Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada wants the game to have a world scale and volume of content that surpasses The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

GamesMaster maintain that their industry insider is extremely trustworthy -- he was responsible for predicting FFXIV being announced at E3 2009, FFXIII being announced for Xbox 360 at E3 2008 and the FFXIII Compilation being announced at E3 2006.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/

Unfortunately, probably not true, but a new FF game directed by Hiroyuki Ito which is an "evolution of FFXII" would be a dream come true for me.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Tuffty » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:35 pm

Cool, sounds good. At the very least, taking inspiration from AC or Skyrim is infinitely better than XIII's supposed inspiration from COD.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:49 am

Rumours surrounding Versus XIII's cancellation are proven false by Yoichi Wada himself:

https://twitter.com/yoichiw/status/227628674780909568
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483626

Pretty much confirmed from what he said on Twitter just now. He laughed about the rumor and then went on to say they finished a regular meeting on the game, saw some towns presentation and whatnot.

Wada wrote:"It seems someone is spreading a false rumor about Versus being canceled. Heh, just a few moments ago a regularly scheduled meeting for Versus ended. If you were to see the city etc. presented today, you wouldn't be able to stand from surprise, lol."
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:50 am

So y'know SHOW IT TO US DAMNIT. Well there was a rumor we'd see the game at TGS hopefully that rumor is true.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:36 pm

I think they have their own event showing off what's to come next out of the FFXIII universe (please, just....no) so I imagine any reveal will come from there. That statement about the city being amazing is sure to generate interest in the event itself, even if they don't have a reveal.

You can imagine there's pats on the back all round at Kotaku right now.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:45 pm

Why do you people keep falling for Kotaku? They are this gens sPoNg in terms of "news"
They are run by Gizmodo the same ones who also make up news. You people are real suckers
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:52 pm

Bluecast wrote:Why do you people keep falling for Kotaku? They are this gens sPoNg in terms of "news"
They are run by Gizmodo the same ones who also make up news. You people are real suckers

Because they're right about stuff sometimes. Remember when you dismissed the Sonic Racing 2 news as them just trying to get a rise out of people? Or when the same thing happened regarding the localization of Fire Emblem for 3DS. They're mostly idiots and they struck out hard with this rumor but sometimes they have tidbits of good information buried under their mountains of lies.

Tuffty wrote:I think they have their own event showing off what's to come next out of the FFXIII universe (please, just....no) so I imagine any reveal will come from there. That statement about the city being amazing is sure to generate interest in the event itself, even if they don't have a reveal.

You can imagine there's pats on the back all round at Kotaku right now.

September 1 though it seems like they really want to talk about FF 13-3

http://andriasang.com/con201/ffxiii_developments/
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:54 pm

When Someone crys wolf so many times you ignore them.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby mue 26 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:53 pm

Bluecast wrote:Why do you people keep falling for Kotaku? They are this gens sPoNg in terms of "news"

II wouldn't want to call people "suckers". But I do agree that Kotaku are pretty bad in this regard, but hey, it works for them...

You have to love Yoichi Wada's characteristically slightly cocky tweet, though.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:52 pm

So um Square is porting the DS version of Final Fantasy III to that oya ouya ouwhofucking cares what it's called. People are acting like it's such a big deal. I had the game for 6 years and was ported to PSP. So why all the hoopla. Game wasn't even great. Enjoyable yeah but not much more.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming