DUX (new dreamcast game)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

DUX (new dreamcast game)

Postby threeblades » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:20 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7VikgFrQdo

I'm thinking of preordering this... its coming out in november. Anyone else getting it?

Its made by the same guys who made Last Hope which I just bought last week, Havent gotten into it very much yet because of the lack of free time and other games I need to play. It seems like the same concept, but you can see the bullets a lot better (Last Hope's problem is that ennemy bullets are sometimes hard to distingush from harmless debris, I think you get used to it though). The graphics are a lot brighter which seems to give a better view of what's going on in the game, thus making it better and more beautiful.

Not quite sure if I'll get it yet, but it seems like a good idea since I'm collecting dreamcast games, and this will probably become expensive pretty soon since I imagine they probably won't be making that many.

I'm still undecided between this or Trigger Heart Exelica... I might get T.H.E. first since I'm afraid the price will raise more (I saw a bunch of copies for 76$ last week end at the store). But then again, if I don't preorder DUX, the next thing you know it might raise to like, 80$.

(oh, and if anyone knows: is T.H.E. region free? I love games that spare me the hassle of having to put the gameshark every time).

BTW, its completely unrelated, but has anyone bought Cosmic Smash? I've heard it was great, but it doesn't seem that good when I watch videos online... basically playing tennis against a bunch of blocs..? Seems more like a time-killer or a minigame than anything else, but I've heard some great things about it so I just don't know.
threeblades
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby TheEdge » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:25 am

Im very glad people are keeping Dreamcast alive. When I get home im going to research like crazy on this.
TheEdge
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:12 am

I want someone to try and push the Dreamcast again like Shenmue (Graphicwise). Just to see how good they can get the graphics now.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Fist of Legend » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:32 am

I didn't even know this existed, until now I thought that wind & water game was all we had going on Dreamcast wise. thanks.

As for THE, I need to use a region disc when trying to play it on my PAL and US Dreamcasts.

This DUX game scores massive bonus points for

1) not being a puzzle game and
2) not being a vertical shooter that looks like all the other vertical shooters. So, so glad to see a horizontal game for once.
Fist of Legend
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby white lotus » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:10 pm

How come all the new DC games are 2D shooters? Why can't it be somethin..ya know? else? Like a 3D adventure or action game or a something unique and different?
white lotus
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: I am a former gamer

Postby threeblades » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:59 am

Probably because

a) they're awesome

and

b) they're easy to make with a reasonable budget (since, you know, it's pretty much a given that it'll never be a million seller)

I like them. 2D drawings are more beautiful than polygons anyways. But if they tried to really push the 3D I'm assuming it would look somewhat like a high quality PS2 game?

Anyway, if you guys want DUX all you need to do is go to the company's official site and preorder. You can also check out Last Hope, it's pretty good, if you have a lot of patience and odn't mind retrying again and again. Even on "very easy" and I die a lot. You have infinite lives and you never have to start at the beginning though. The game saves your progress even if you turn off the DC.

It's region-free by the way, just like DUX will be. Just put it in your DC, no need for a gameshark or Utopia.
threeblades
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:10 am

Well, they're still making games for other older systems too. I guess the only difference is they're still selling them on the DC.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby threeblades » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:38 am

Yeah, Last Hope was also made for the Neo Geo but only 60 copies were made, so good luck to find one, lol!

I'm gonna preorder 2 copies of DUX, one to play and one to keep it sealed for years and see if I can sell it later on.
threeblades
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby TheEdge » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:05 pm

I just got done researching this and I am very pleased with what I'm reading. I stand by my statement that this has become a cult classic and Sega better get their heads screwed on straight and take advantage of this marketing opportunity.

Check out these articles:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/you-cannot-kil ... 291108.php

http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/747/747885p1.html

http://www.destructoid.com/new-dreamcas ... 0948.phtml
TheEdge
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby HappyKillmore » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:26 pm

I'm happy that smaller developers are still keeping the DC alive, but the new games are always quite basic. It'd be cool to see a new style of game on the DC, even if its an FPS.
HappyKillmore
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: big_g_mcfc
XBL: DerK0mmissar
Steam: kingkong001
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: With Myself

Postby Ri_oh » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:28 pm

I think I may pick this one up. Looks pretty :)
Ri_oh
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ri_oh
XBL: ri_oh86
Steam: ri_oh
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby threeblades » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:47 pm

GREATMADMAN wrote:I'm happy that smaller developers are still keeping the DC alive, but the new games are always quite basic. It'd be cool to see a new style of game on the DC, even if its an FPS.

As much as I like 2D more than 3D, I agree that someone should try something a bit different... unfortunately it probably wouldn't be profitable for them. Maybe a 2D platformer or something?
threeblades
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby TheEdge » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:00 am

Will these games run on the US Dreamcast?
TheEdge
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby GamerSG » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:10 am

threeblades wrote:
GREATMADMAN wrote:I'm happy that smaller developers are still keeping the DC alive, but the new games are always quite basic. It'd be cool to see a new style of game on the DC, even if its an FPS.

As much as I like 2D more than 3D, I agree that someone should try something a bit different... unfortunately it probably wouldn't be profitable for them. Maybe a 2D platformer or something?

If you like 2D you might want to get this http://www.brokensword25.com Its a fan made game of Broken Sword.
GamerSG
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby TheEdge » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:14 am

Guys,

I was just look at this website and checking out all the games and such and I noticed thay in Japan (As I alluded to before!) has so many hidden titles kept away from the US gaming market. I was so pissed off that I didnt get a chance to get these games when Dreamcast was still alive on the basis that Sega of Japan and Sega of America didnt communicate.

Check out how many Japanese titles comared to US ones. Its 10 times as much games that we Americans didnt see.

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.ph ... esreleased
TheEdge
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to General Gaming